Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
There are for sure many factors at play. It's been written about here, online, by journalists that cover the NFL ... but some want to focus on one thing and one thing only and I guess that's their right. What's not their right is then to call everyone else (of which there are many) being untruthful ... but then that's the way it goes when you can't support your talking point any other way. It's a pattern we are seeing repeatedly in many threads right now.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who said Lock was a stud? I don't get your argument at all, although I agree that there are multiple factors at play. However, if Baker was as good as some of you claim, some team would have given up a lot for him. I can't imagine how that is debatable, but whatever...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Timing - how many teams had secured their QB by the time Watson was actually signed? Several.

The injury - Baker is still recovering.

The contract - no team is going to take on $18.9M when they don't need to. The idea that his contract is cheap for a starting QB is a fallacy [1] he's a 1 year rental at this point because he's not signing for multiple years. [2] Browns absolutely are not going to keep him on the team this year. Browns have zero leverage.

Current market - It was reported Seattle have $45M (i think that's the number) in dead cap space. They are in a nothing year. Why pay a guy as a 1 year rental when you are in a re-set year? Panthers traded up to get a guy who is a potential future QB for them. They have Darnold on the books. What team - TODAY - or at any time since the draft is desperately in need of a QB? None. If a team is looking at options - we've already seen some say they would rather have Jimmy G than Baker .... why trade for Baker when you can wait and have a shot at JG based on his recovery and health?

Wentz or Baker ? Someone asked that question in this thread and someone said they though Wentz was better because he played better than Baker in 2021. No kidding. Personally I'd take healthy Baker over healthy Wentz all day every day. What did Wentz get traded for ??? Hmmmm.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/21/22 10:06 AM.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by mgh888
Timing - how many teams had secured their QB by the time Watson was actually signed? Several.

The injury - Baker is still recovering.

The contract - no team is going to take on $18.9M when they don't need to. The idea that his contract is cheap for a starting QB is a fallacy [1] he's a 1 year rental at this point because he's not signing for multiple years. [2] Browns absolutely are not going to keep him on the team this year. Browns have zero leverage.

Current market - It was reported Seattle have $45M (i think that's the number) in dead cap space. They are in a nothing year. Why pay a guy as a 1 year rental when you are in a re-set year? Panthers traded up to get a guy who is a potential future QB for them. They have Darnold on the books. What team - TODAY - or at any time since the draft is desperately in need of a QB? None. If a team is looking at options - we've already seen some say they would rather have Jimmy G than Baker .... why trade for Baker when you can wait and have a shot at JG based on his recovery and health?

Wentz or Baker ? Someone asked that question in this thread and someone said they though Wentz was better because he played better than Baker in 2021. No kidding. Personally I'd take healthy Baker over healthy Wentz all day every day. What did Wentz get traded for ??? Hmmmm.

The only thing missing from that post ^ is that we are only in the middle of May. That post should be pinned for a decade.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Who said Lock was a stud? I don't get your argument at all, although I agree that there are multiple factors at play. However, if Baker was as good as some of you claim, some team would have given up a lot for him. I can't imagine how that is debatable, but whatever...

No one thinks Drew Lock is a stud. Here's what I typed (bolded for ease of read):

"Drew Lock is a stud because another team traded for him? He's better than Wilson in the eyes of Seattle because that was the swap? That would be ridiculous to debate."

However, if the only criteria one uses is essentially that "see, no team wants the guy"...when a multitude of other factors are actually in play and known/documented...the "see, no team wants the guy" comment is disingenuous at best - as I stated.

Baker - with all his warts - is better than Wentz, Darnold, Lock, Mariota, Trubisky, Tua, D Jones, Hurts, Fields, Mills, Goff, Z Wilson, Lance and Winston...but that doesn't mean those teams should be itching to go get him or that he is a better fit than what they have now...there is a lot more to it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's 15 QBs on your list. No doubt some people might debate you on the merits of all those QB's - for the most part I agree. I kind of like Fields and think if he gets some time and a chance to develop he might be pretty good. Lance is unknown at this point but he couldn't beat out a pedestrian JG last year (how much was he injured? I don't recall). I kind of like Tua as well - but there's not a lot to indicate that when both are healthy he can play to the level of Bakers 2nd half of 2020 and the 2 initial games this year. I do think Tua has some intangibles and will be good.

As you say - it's May. Folks crowing about how they were right about Baker are a little premature. It might be, but the book isn't written yet, not by a long way.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We disagree on some things, but that is fine.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
"Drew Lock is a stud because another team traded for him? He's better than Wilson in the eyes of Seattle because that was the swap? That would be ridiculous to debate."

That was the swap? Lock for Wilson, straight up?

Switching gears a bit, going into the draft we had the 2nd most cap space. We drafted no one in the 1st or 2nd round so the cap hit from our draft class is small. Our cap situation is fine, so the Browns are under no pressure to deal Baker. Teams thinking they have the edge because of that are mistaken.

It was posted on here that if we kept Baker this season, but put him on whatever list where he doesn't play, and then let him walk, then we would get a 3rd round comp pick? Not sure if that is true or not, but if so, then why would we not do that? Pay the whole 19M (a little less) and get a 3rd round pick, or pay all but 1M and trade him for a 5th?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
While that's true, the leftover cap space from this year carries over to next season and so on. The more leftover cap space you have from this year the more flexible you will be going into next year. So for the short term you are correct. For the long haul paying out 18 mil. for a player you don't intend to play hurts you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Online
Legend
O
If we cut him, we eat the $18m.
If we hang onto him, a team may get desperate and deal. If not, we still just eat the $18m.

I think Berry is just being patient. I highly doubt he's holding things up so he can work over some other GM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
While that's true, the leftover cap space from this year carries over to next season and so on. The more leftover cap space you have from this year the more flexible you will be going into next year. So for the short term you are correct. For the long haul paying out 18 mil. for a player you don't intend to play hurts you.

Right, but we have to pay him no matter what so there wouldn't have been any carry over from Baker.. That was set in stone when we exercised his option.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe you have the right of it.

The only reason to cut Baker now is he is impacting the team negatively; if he were purposefully trying to undermine the team. I wonder if there is anything in the CBA about that.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

No one thinks Drew Lock is a stud. Here's what I typed (bolded for ease of read):

However, if the only criteria one uses is essentially that "see, no team wants the guy"...when a multitude of other factors are actually in play and known/documented...the "see, no team wants the guy" comment is disingenuous at best - as I stated.

Baker - with all his warts - is better than Wentz, Darnold, Lock, Mariota, Trubisky, Tua, D Jones, Hurts, Fields, Mills, Goff, Z Wilson, Lance and Winston...but that doesn't mean those teams should be itching to go get him or that he is a better fit than what they have now...there is a lot more to it.
What makes Mayfield better then those QBS you listed ?
Better than Wentz...well Wentz has accomplished more than Mayfield
And his numbers with the Colts last year Are as good as any season Mayfield has put up

Darnold. Agreed. But I heard the excuses about how Baker had 27 coordinators
In tenure with the Browns and all these new playbooks to learn
Darnold had worse coaching then BM

Lock. Agreed
Mariotta. Agreed
Trubisky. He got a bad franchise to the playoffs. Again how well was
He coached up?
Tua. He is a starting QB now, Baker isn't ..so is Baker really better ?
Jones. He is worse than Baker
Hurts. He is better than Baker. He can make some thing out of
Nothing when the play goes off schedule.
Fields ...Baker should be better. Fields was a rookie last year
With the worst supporting cast in the NFL
Mills. The Texans front office feels He is better than Mayfield
Mills again was a,1st yr QB with very little talent around him
Goff. I guess but again Goff has reached a SB , Mayfield hasn't
Z.Wilson .he was a rookie with a rotation at RB and very little at WR
Other Corey Davis . Wilson beat the Bengals too.
Lance. Again a rookie. Mayfield should be better than him
Winston . He is better than Mayfield .better arm. Can throw from the pocket
Threw for 5,000 yds in a season

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

As I mentioned on another thread, Jake Burns is a guy I really like as a guy who can break down the game. Here is an article w/video footage that he wrote about Baker that is pretty much dead on if anyone is interested in reading it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...om-poor-execution-176812470/#176812470_3

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It's always positive when QBs do these things...takes two - or more - to tango.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...in-hooper-kansas-city-chiefs/5767290001/

https://www.brownsnation.com/baker-mayfield-set-to-host-teammates-in-austin-this-week/

Imagine the deception on OBJs part to fun-along with these workouts while simultaneously asking for a trade behind the backs of his teammates.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

C
Legend
Legend
C
Did you just post three separate links from MSN (weird) all using the same Nick Chubb quote as the basis for the story?

Legend
Legend
I think Nick Chubb is just a really nice guy...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Nick Chubb is just a really nice guy...

I am not sure you were trying to be funny, but that made me laugh. I appreciate subtle humor.

O
Legend
OP Online
Legend
O
Those two quotes reminded me of Joe Thomas. Dude never said a single bad word about any of his QBs (despite them all being pretty terrible).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Lol. I appreciate that you appreciate my subtle humor, sometimes I feel it gets lost in the message. grin

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, Versatile Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Reading Nick Chubb's comments concerning Mayfield, I come away with a feeling that Nick Chubb is the true leader of this team.

He doesn't say alot but when he does the rest of the team might want pause and listen to what his message is.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker Mayfield had the leadership skills of a ballerina as
Btowns QB. Leaders galvanize teams , set tones and examples
That equate winning
Baker failed on all counts

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
That equate winning

You mean like getting into the playoffs for the first time in years after running thru 3 different coaches?

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by BADdog
That equate winning

You mean like getting into the playoffs for the first time in years after running thru 3 different coaches?

Well you have to understand people are acting like that never happened.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Especially after that 675 LB. squat!!!!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Well Baker had a ... ... well a baseline kind of or a "floor" so to speak in the wins vs. losses column as the Browns 'uarterback so that was not a fail on all counts, they seemed to be able to get some wins with Baker as the 'uarterback.
( Big 2nd 'uarters.) Browns? Can't win with Baker,? Can't win with Keenum.? Can't leave well enough alone, change for changes' sake, won't keep a group together for the long haul, .. always a new mix, .. never get the cake out of the oven because they always have more ingredients to add to the mix.
( I don't expect much success for the Browns in 22, which would likely mean another new Head Coach, which would likely mean another sense of starting over from s'uare one, just what this team needs?. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by BADdog
That equate winning

What does 3 coaches have to do with Baker being the 65th best
QB in the league now ?

1. Baker was the 1st player 1st QB drafted in the 2018.
If a QB is drafted that high, he is expected to weather
Coaching changes and still play at a high level

2. When the Browns Beat the Steelers in the playoffs
I didnt hear anyone bring up how many coaches Baker has had etc
Only now that he is QB without a team ,it's brought up.

3. Baker won one playoff game in 4 years
That's his ceiling.
He will never take a team to a SB

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just maybe Chubb actually thought Baker was a good leader again I don't see this inability to galvanize the team. I saw a lot of injuries to our OTs and WRs but the D responded to Baker all you hate guys got is last season the season with injuries and disappointments. Yeah the first 2 games did not happen, yeah the good will from Chubb did not happen. Yes, Chubb is a solid guy but he stands by his history with Baker...so what no need to piss on Baker.. btw last I looked DW aint playing anywhere soon.
talk is how long will his suspension be...and it won't be 6-8 games. Hope you all are happy I'm not. I'm actually a little disgusted. Some of you made a big deal about Baker running away from police on his 21st birthday drinking escapade. Yes cricket on the guy who sexually assaulted these young women. This is your answer - not my Browns. We made a pretty dumb move if you ask me. This is not me being a FAN BOY...I have and will always be a fan of the Browns but this is the first time I feel that the team (those running it) have let me down as a long time fan. I loved the fact we were leaders in the color line among many other positives. Us forcing the NFL to give us the team back. Even us throwing the bottles of water in the Ooops we meant to stop the game but missed it. We have been paying for that move but deep down I'm proud to be a Browns fan.. now with this dirt bag from what I have seen is the first time I am ASHAMED to be a Browns fan.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
What does 3 coaches have to do with Baker being the 65th best
QB in the league now ?

rofl

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
That equate winning

I'm so sick of the endless, needless, bashing of Baker. Kid gave what he had, sorry OBJ and company took a dump on that. This fan base deserve DW.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/29/22 06:05 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
That equate winning

I'm so sick of the endless, needless, bashing of Baker. Kid gave what he had, sorry OBJ and company took a dump on that. This fan base deserve DW.
Ok Baker gave it his all like Charlie Frye , DeShon Kizer, Jeff Garcia
Brady Quinn Brandon Weeden, Doug Pederson, Kelly Holcomb
Let's hand Baker the 4 year TRY HARD AWARD
We can put his plaque along side Wali Rainer, Brian Robissue
Etc

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Deshaun 1 win in 5 years
Playoff rating below 90 in 3 games.
Deshaun has lost to luck and mahomes.
Deshaun has a 500 win percentage in are division
He will not win 1 Playoff game in the next 2 years.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well, he has a lot of room to improve!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Let's not forget, Watson was drafted by a team that had been to the playoffs the previous 2-years. Mayfield was drafted by a team that was 1-31 the previous 2-years.

Mayfield had 4 head coaches in his 4-years in Cleveland, Watson had 1 until O'Brien was fired after 4-games in 2020.

Watson was drafted by Houston who had 4-All Pro Players on the roster (JJ Watt, Hopkins, Weeks, Clowney). Mayfield had 1 All Pro on the roster when he arrived (J. Thomas).

Facts are facts but at this stage it really doesn't matter since they acquired Watson to replace Mayfield.

So now the Browns have the assumed upgrade at QB who might not play because of the scummy accusations of mistreating women against him off the field.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Let's not forget that multiple teams were willing to give up a ton of assets and pay him big money to be their starter despite the allegations against him and Houston not having any leverage because Watson wasn't going to play there again while no one has traded for Baker despite no legal issues and a rather low QB salary. Of course, NFL execs are dummies compared to the Baker fans on this board who use phrases like "assumed upgrade at QB..."

Baker won't be back in uniform w/the Browns no matter how many times his fan base whines about it. No way can he re-enter that locker room after the statement he made about his teammates.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/30/22 07:35 AM.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
DeShaun Watson doesnt have to talk to lead a team
He let's his play on the field speak for him.
Total opposite of Baker

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Baker... the slow trek to the end

Link Copied to Clipboard