Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1947111 05/26/22 01:55 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My favorite show.

Every season it has been on. I am glued.

Damn I wish it was a show when I was under 50. I would have loved the challenge. If I was given enough time to research the area and prepare myself. Hell yes.

Alone is by far the best of "survival shows." They have to film themselves and I love where the shows have been located.

It is fascinating to watch how the people handle the isolation. You need strong survival skills for sure. But from watching the show most who succumb; can not handle the "alone" part. Those who can get past that part eventually just break down physically.

The physical breakdown and mental part is what as a viewer is so interesting.

Plus I love northern wilderness. I have spent the best times in my life in Canada, Alaska and the Rockies.

I will be locked in for tonight.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t know it was already back!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
First episode don't know all of the "ten."

Some observations. The 53 year old woman Karie Lee I think. I doubt at her age that she will have the stamina to handle this.

Labrador. I was just nearby last September in New Bruinswick. Because of the humitity and cold it will be brutal. Wet and cold is a bad combination.

The other seasons were out West in British Columbia. Way different. This place gets 60" of rain a year. Staying dry will be really hard.

Benji has a good mental approach. The guy Pablo pretty inventive. But his stove will help for quick heat but the firebox is really small. Not big enough to use bigger wood for longer heat source.

Snares for small game will work. If they can hunt black bear. I would be concerntrating on that. I would find bear paths and food sources. Build a tree stand or serious blind. Killing a black bear might win you the prize. Build a smoker and a cache up high.

Set a full trap line to cover all areas for small game.

This challenge will be all about dry shelter, warmth, and food plans.

This is going to be really hard on these people when it gets cold.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Benji has the tools to go far. He’s my front runner right now. Though we only know half the contestants at this point.
My guess is Pablo will build out his stove further to create more thermal mass around it. He won’t need a big fire if he can heat a big clay and rock hearth. Though I think he’s foolish for not considering a better shelter. That tarp roof will seem pretty thin once there’s snow falling.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
In this area of the country indigenous natives used pit houses.

That would be my choice. When they are done right. They will be warm.

I think this challenge is going to be really hard. I agree Benji is the front runner.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's far too early for me to have any idea of who to think has what it takes. Last night only gave us a snapshot early on. There are many skills involved to survival in the wild. We haven't even seen all of the contestants yet. As with you, I've watched this show since the very beginning and love it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know it is early. But just from the 1st episode. Benji seems to have a good attitude.

Yes it is to early.

This is going to be hard on these people. I need to find out the local laws and limitations of what they can do.

I love this show. This is a serious test of many skills. It fascinates me to see how each person goes about the challenge.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
One rule they did discuss is that fish must be caught on a fly, which they provided 5 for each contestant, or fish can be dip netted. So no gill nets, trotlines, bait fishing, lures, etc. No passive fishing. Active fishing is time consuming, and exposure heavy. It’ll be tough.

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Love this show as well. Been waiting many many months for it. I like Benji too, just didnt like him saying he was going to wait at least 30 days before he starts working on a permanent shelter. A lot can happen preventing him from doing so. Weather, health, no food then he is still in real trouble.

I know it’s a lot but just using a tarp as your permanent ceiling, imo is not smart, I know it gets the job done, but enclosing a shelter in all wood, when it looks like there is an abundance of downed trees I think is the way to go this season.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Totally agree on starting later on shelter building is not a good plan. If he gets a bear fairly quickly he’ll be fine. If he struggles finding food he’s going struggle with the caloric drain that is building a strong shelter on 30 days of poor nutrition.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that a balance between the two would be the wise approach. When winter hits it will hit fast. If you divide your time between hunting and shelter building, you would be well on your way at least to having your shelter finished as the weather hit. Not nearly as much work left to finish if any.

If you concentrate mainly on shelter building without getting protein you will quickly drain your body of the energy needed to hunt and make yourself weak early on. That would severely put you behind the 8 ball early on. We've witnessed that happen all too often on the show.

The approach they are using now to put off shelter building leaves one major question in my mind. Who and how many will wait too long to address building a good shelter before winter hits hard and pay a huge price for it and what will the consequences of that be?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If it were me. I would put a tempory out of the rain shelter. A single ridgepole and tarp.

Then put snares out everywhere. Then begin work on a permanent shelter.

this is an overview for this season:

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He does not know about fishing regulations.

He said black bear hunting can be done. You can actually kill two.

He mentions moose and caribou. I don't think so. In New Bruinswick that is a lottery hunt.

Fishing is highly regulated in Canada and it is confusing. I can tell you I was just there in the fall. Atlantic salmon fishing is fly fishing only and you have to hire a guide.

Beaver should be a good food source. They are big and have lots of fat. You can trap them with snares. I have seen it done through the ice.

Muskrats should be prolific in that area. They can be traped and hunted but damn hard without a boat.

IMO the wet conditions are going to play hell on these people. You need to burn a ton of wood and you have to keep it dry.

One resource that I know of in Labrador is birch. You can do a lot with brich bark. You can make a rain shelter for your wood storage. A lean to frame with poles and then covered with bark.

These people better be working hard. Once the cold comes it will be hell if they are not prepared.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The fishing regulations was the part I was wondering about when watching the show. Did you see how tiny those trout were? And he had 12 of them. I just kept thinking to myself that there must be a size limit to how small trout must be to be considered legal keepers and a limit on the number of fish. I found that very odd.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fishing regulations in Canada are very specific to species. It can change by the river you are in.

That area has a lot of brook trout. My guess is no size limit but a limit on number.

Whitefish no limited. Atlantic Salmon highly regulated salmon catch and release only three fish per day.

https://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/en/NL/AG/anglersguide

Like I said highly regulated.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/27/22 04:03 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I have no idea what the regulations are on those trout. I just looked at it and said WTH? Just my natural gut reaction watching it.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just watched the second episode. Really enjoy "Alone."

It fascinates me how people handle it mentally. This episode clearly proves you can not be in a fragile state of mind. The guy who tapped was in that state to begin with.

I starting fishing when I was five. I am now 74. The type of fishing at this location. I have a Phd. in. Brook trout are aggressive and easy to catch. I would be eating well as long as the weather allows.

The doctor has a good skill set and a good frame of mind. The guy who struggled with fire and said he is a hunter and lacks shelter building skill. He should have done more homework.

When the snow flies this will get very real fast. You must be able to get warm and dry or you will fail.

When you look back at the past seasons and the people who won. They were methodical and highly motivated. You must retain singular focus on the goal.

I would like to believe that when I was in my 30's and 40's. I could have done this. I once lived in a tent for six months traveling throughout Belize and Guatemala. A huge part of this challenge is the alone part. You have to have that ability to get inside yourself and not be overwhelmed by your own thoughts.

I am looking forward to watching this entire season.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Damn there are so many good contestants on this season. My early pick is the Dr, (Teimojin) Don’t know why, just like his set of skills better than everyone elses.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Alone 2022 Contestants

NAME OF THE CONTESTANTS AGE

Adam Riley 36 Years
Benji Hill 46 Years
Jessie Krebs 49 Years
Jacques Turcotte 23 Years
Juan Pablo Quinonez 30 Years
Igor Limansk 40 Years
Karie Lee Knoke 57 Years
Terry Burns 30 Years
Teimojin Tan 31 Years
Tom Garstang 35 Years

Here’s a list of them all, hard time remembering them because it’s early

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for printing the list.

The doctor does seem to have it together. He is spot on about the firepit and sleeping above it.

I know the people submit their skills etc. and then are chosen. Once they know where they will be going. In my eyes you really need to research. Know every resource available. Learn about how the indigenous people lived there. Pit houses.

Nobody yet has built a smoker to preserve food. Really important.

Black bear hunting. Bears have a exceptional sense of smell. I would try to bait them. Hang caught fish. Use charcoal to take away your scent. Be very conscious of wind direction. Build a blind and be patient.

This is a great challenge. I am really curious about how these people go about it. They all have skills.

It all boils down to calories, warmth, and your mind.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just watched the last episode. Very interesting.

Kind of set the table in a way. Each person has their idea on shelter. The one girl using the trees. One of the best shelters I have seen from an idea standpoint.

Super curious to see it completed. The guy who built the fireplace with cob. Great idea. Smoke can be a real problem.

And so can fire.

Getting a bear would be a game changer. Bears have way better noses than dogs. Baiting would be a good technique.

Once the snow flies if that shelter is not warm and dry. You are done.

You must have snares and traps working while you do other chores.

This will be an interesting season. Good contestants and a challenging environments.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Really interesting to see how doing this challenge breaks people down.

Felt bad for Igor. He seems like a good guy. He had a bad plan.

8 left.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Never watched this, but have watched several episodes of naked and afraid, where they have to survive for I think 21 days with pretty much nothing. I couldn't do it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Those guys getting the beavers will really put them ahead of the other 6 if they take advantage of it.

My wife ask me last night, they cant hit crap with there bow and arrows, but they all say they want a bear, I can see one of them getting eaten, lol. I kinda agree, none of them are super accurate, maybe they get 3 off before a bear reaches them.

Gonna be interesting

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Naked and Afraid is somewhat staged. There is a camera crew. Lifeline support. Guys with guns watching them. Most shows are 21 days. Return people 45 or 60 days.

Alone is way more real. They first are trained to to flim themselves. They are a SAT phone away. The challenge is who can last the longest.

This usually gets near 100 days.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Benji is good shape. His shelter is poor but he has food.

I have no doubt he can bait a bear with the beaver guts.

I love this show because there is so much that you must really stay on top of.

As people tap out you can see why. However, being there and doing it way different. Once that hard cold comes and the snow flies.

It will get brutal.

I once lived in a cabin near Basin, Montana. Wood stove, oddhouse, no running water, no electricity, no nothing. I lived there all summer and worked in Basin on a construction site building a ball mill to sluice gold. When the snow came in September you had to get out or you would be stuck there. It was close to the continental divide. The cabin was off a dirt logging road. Impossible to get to in winter.

If these people don't have it together when snow comes. They will tap out quickly.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I bet they get thin as hell, I'll have to watch some of it. I'm just not a fan of reality tv shows. Got a sister-in-law that only watches reality tv and news. Big brother, BBAD, Bachelor, Bachelorette, dancing with the stars, etc. She might as well be brain dead IMO. And to her, it's all 100% real, everything. smh.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/17/22 03:35 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
While it's description is a reality show, it's as close to real as I think you can actually get. And yes, in just the first 20 days or so many of them have already lost over 20 pounds. You would never catch me watching any of the shows you listed. You would never catch me watching an episode of the show you mentioned earlier, Naked and Afraid. You also would never catch me missing an episode of Alone.

The only way to watch it is starting with the first episode and watching it as it all unfolds. I don't think you will be disappointed if you like the way it's being described. Because that's exactly what you'll get.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree.

Alone is just fascinating for many reasons.

It has gained worldwide popularity.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well, there went Benji.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He had a good plan in place and meat to spare. The gut bug took him out. Bummer for him.
Hygiene is important even in the wilderness… especially in the wilderness.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He could of been a contender.

Beavers and giardia go hand in hand. When he was handing the hide is my guess where he got it.

When they create dams and water is stagnant it gets on their fur.

He was going good although his shelter would not have been to good when it got cold.

I am starting to see issues that will arrive soon with some people.

Benji was a good hunter. He probably would have been a good candidate to win.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
He could of been a contender.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. naughtydevil I know you are old enough to appreciate the clip.

Yeah, he had everything going for him. I thought he had the edge thus far in the series. You just never know what might take a person out.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So funny because when I wrote that it was precisely what I thought of.

One of the best movies ever.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Really good show. Damn I love the location. It is the type of place where I feel at my best.

All these people are doing well under tough conditions. The snow is coming. That is when it will become extreme.

Alone is such a great series on so many levels. I enjoy how the people become super aware. Our lives in civilization deaden our senses. This type of experience opens all your senses.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
This is the best fed the group has ever been.
What’s her name spent WAY TOO MUCH time and energy on that ‘lodge’. Which still isn’t fully finished. She still doesn’t have much of a hunting/fishing plan. It’ll be interesting to see how she does from this point forward.
The men they showed last night’s episode are all fairly well fed. Have meat stores. Have good shelter. This could go on awhile. Especially if someone gets bigger game before the snow gets deep.
Great show.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Looking forward to this week.

Pablo has the mental toughness but I don't know if he has the skills.

To last now I think you have to get a big kill. Fishing will become very hard and the fish are small. Somebody needs to kill a black bear.

Getting one with a bow will be hard. You have to get close and make a kill shot. Black bears are smart. Their sense of smell is like five times that of a bloodhound.

A tree stand and baiting would give you the best chance. Walking around will not cut it.

Beaver is a good target because you can snare them.

It is going to get very interesting as each week passes.

1 member likes this: PortlandDawg
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Dude got medically tapped. Unfortunate. He had a great mentality. A good shelter. He seemed like a nice guy. That said, he fell into the ‘big guy’ conundrum. He’s a bigger framed guy. Fueling the furnace to maintain that higher BMI is tough. He had the protein and fat but not the carbs to slow the decline. It takes a lot of work to be a ‘big dude’ in survival situations.
Looking back most of the winners have been smaller, more compact types. It’s playing out that way this year too.

Snow is about to fall. It’s going to get tough. Shelters and will are going to be put to the test.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just watched it. Show fascinates me.

Totally agree. When he took his shirt off I was thinking he is trouble. Felt bad for him.

Hard challenge 24/7. Tough on every part of body and soul.

Karie Lee she is going to freeze. The snow is coming and it is going to be brutal. The cold eats you like a carnivore.

Beautiful country. I was near there last Fall in New Brunswick.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Teimojin will be hard to beat.

He is in a good place mentally and he is getting consistent calories.

Pablo is not out of it but he has to get calories. Adam is doing ok but I am not sure about his state of mind.

Karie Lee is hanging in there. She is a trip. She has a good attitude but damn her shelter is poor. As weather sets in she is going to freeze.

Jessie was doomed. Tough gal. To much into shelter and not enough to eat broke her.

Hard challenge and the hard cold is still to come.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Alone the series

Link Copied to Clipboard