Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wonder if some of the timing issues has to do with negotiating that many settlements, especially after declining previously to settle. While you negotiate in good faith you still make the same statements you would make if you aren't negotiating.

Not sure the hole is any deeper, not sure he was able to fill it in any. As with all legal proceedings, time will tell. Legal stuff moves slow, until it doesn't.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c food for thought...

If the women admit without an NDA that Watson paid them for a massage which included sexual favors they would be admitting to prostitution.

Ironically, prostitution is a class B felony each of the women would get "first solicitation offense charges could face state jail felony penalties of between 180 days in jail and up to 2 years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000".

It's highly likely all of them will settle under a mutual NDA... otherwise, the women will be admitting to guilt and the DA can have a field day making an example out of those 24 women and Watson while cleaning up the massage industry in Texas.

https://www.westfallsellers.com/is-soliciting-a-prostitute-felony-in-texas/

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't have much time to really focus on the article, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

But I don't see where it focused on a certain reason why he's getting counseling. He just said to get his mental straight and be sharp on the field. That could mean so many things.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I could be wrong, but I am a good reader. Have an advanced degree in English. For those of you who don't know, English at that level has almost nothing to do w/grammar, punctuation, etc. It's about interpreting the written word across a plethora of genres.

Watson's comments read more like he has been under a lot of pressure due to the public scrutiny and the weight of the accusations he is facing. He wan't to ensure that he is at his best mentally and emotionally on the field of play and to help him deal w/the negative attention. It does not read as an admission of guilt no matter how much some wish it to be true.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I truly don't know what to think about Watson's suspension. I keep going back and forth. The public opinion thing is bad. First Take absolutely shredded Watson today. I was a bit surprised because Stephan A Smith is on that show. On the other hand, the Snyder thing got a ton of attention on the networks today. It's a huge story and was the lead on Sports Center. I think that story is going to get much, much uglier. The NFL is getting a lot of negative attention right now and is almost sure to gain even more no matter what they decide to do w/Watson.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
You don't see many 'innocent guys' getting counseling and therapy as part of the settlement, do you? I'm glad he's going to get help with his addiction, but there it is. smh.

Sure you do. Business and government agencies have had many people take sensitivity training as standard procedure.

Not only that, but he remained deliberately vague (still pending cases). The only real specific he gave was about being ready to perform on the field.

Also, at the risk of angering some Board (or bored) Police folks, getting counseling for a sex issue (assumed this is what the counseling is for) doesn't necessarily mean he committed assault. He has a problem (so seeking treatment would be a positive), and it's still my belief that he fed an addiction by engaging masseuses as prostitutes (which I'm assuming is what one might do to not get caught up in TX prostitution laws), and at some point may or may not have slipped up or gone way too far.

The probability of both being true (him having a sex addiction/issue and him being innocent on the grounds of all incidents being consensual) is admittedly low, but still a possibility.

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't need the counseling, I just find it odd that one week after once again saying he was innocent, he settled and agreed to get counseling. But if he was innocent and just wanting to CLEAR his name, why did he need counseling? The guy is a slimeball.

And I get the business side, the league being on him, the Browns pushing this, etc. Still does nothing to convince me he deserves to be our QB and play any time soon.

And one question about your saying it's still possible he's innocent; do you believe there is a remote chance that is true, honestly? I don't, and if he settles the rest, we will never have a chance to know. I can't accept that and am SO disappointed that this team put it's fans in this situation. Winning just isn't that important to us, or we wouldn't be Browns fans. The whole thing reeks of Haslam's desperation.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/22/22 08:11 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Over/Under Watson plays 6 Ouarters of football for the Browns in the 2022-2023 season?

Do you want the over, or the under? ( I'm thinking the under, I'm thinking more like 4 and a half.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't need the counseling, I just find it odd that one week after once again saying he was innocent, he settled and agreed to get counseling. But if he was innocent and just wanting to CLEAR his name, why did he need counseling?

I understand why you feel it may be odd. We don't know the reason at this point in time (if maybe ever). As for why he needed it: Maybe it was for things he may of done wrong in the sessions. Maybe it's b/c he knows he's innocent and he needs an outlet to de-stress from all the pressure he is receiving.
It doesn't specify what kind of counselor, maybe it's a sports counselor? Maybe it's helping him re-focus as a leader of a team.

There are so maybe's with this vague information.

And one question about your saying it's still possible he's innocent; do you believe there is a remote chance that is true, honestly?
This isn't directed at me. But from experience, I have seen large groups in high positions turn on one person who was innocent and in the right. I am not saying DW didn't do anything, I am not saying did do something. I am just in wait mode till there is closure no matter if it's good or bad.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I doubt any facts will come with said closure, I'd bet he ends up settling all other cases behind closed doors and we will be left knowing no more than we do now. And I could care less if he has a sex addiction as long as he could prove he didn't use his celebrity to force himself on these women. I can't root for a preditor. I could root for a sick QB who stayed within the lines of sexual consent and is in treatment for said addiction. But also as troubling to me, is the fact that Haslams and the FO thought bringing him in was worth all of this. And if one of these remaining cases proves he's a preditor without a doubt, I'm done with this organization until he's gone for good. That's a hard-ass pill to swallow after 50 years of fandom.

V
Legend
Legend
V
There were 13--14 other teams who wanted to "bring him in." And if you are done w/the organization................leave. I would never blame you for standing on your principles if you truly believe in them. What I don't like is you sticking around just to make others miserable because they won't join you in hating the Browns.

This is free will. You have not been born into slavery. You are free to leave. No one is making you root for a team you find so disgusting. No one will chastise you for standing on your high moral ground of not supporting a team w/a man who is accused of sexual misconduct. The masses have embraced those w/far worse accusations. Kobe was accused of RAPE and paid a large settlement and publicly apologized to the woman and her family. Yet, he is revered. I could go on and on and on w/similar examples.

If you are so morally righteous..........leave! But, please stop trying to convince others to do the same. I hope Watson plays for the Browns and your constant whining and b......ing won't change that.

A
Legend
Legend
A
There were 13-14 teams that wanted to 'bring him in"? Hasn't this been covered, many times, before?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, remember I proved it to you when you called me a liar?

But, I brought it up because OCD was pretending that Haslam was alone in this. That is untrue.

Btw--------do you ever correct your brother Pit, when he constantly repeats 22 women? Or 24 women? Stand down.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
There were 13--14 other teams who wanted to "bring him in." And if you are done w/the organization................leave. I would never blame you for standing on your principles if you truly believe in them. What I don't like is you sticking around just to make others miserable because they won't join you in hating the Browns.

This is free will. You have not been born into slavery. You are free to leave. No one is making you root for a team you find so disgusting. No one will chastise you for standing on your high moral ground of not supporting a team w/a man who is accused of sexual misconduct. The masses have embraced those w/far worse accusations. Kobe was accused of RAPE and paid a large settlement and publicly apologized to the woman and her family. Yet, he is revered. I could go on and on and on w/similar examples.

If you are so morally righteous..........leave! But, please stop trying to convince others to do the same. I hope Watson plays for the Browns and your constant whining and b......ing won't change that.

You leave! Run away just like you did months ago. You just jumped through three forums attacking me. Go screw yourself V. And I'll be here to make your rooting for a preditor HELL, every damn day. Count on it.

All I have to do is disagree with you. You'll melt down like butter in a microwave.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/22/22 10:13 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I attacked you? I can go through these posts and prove that you came after me many, many times w/out me saying a word to you.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/22/22 10:14 PM.
A
Legend
Legend
A

But, I brought it up because OCD was pretending that Haslam was alone in this. That is untrue.

Btw--------do you ever correct your brother Pit, when he constantly repeats 22 women? Or 24 women? Stand down.

You're so full of it it isn't funny.

Show me the 13 or 14 teams that made an offer.

And my brother, pit? Can't stand him, but actually, it was 26 women I believe.

O
Legend
Legend
O

WHO CARES HOW MANY OTHER TEAMS WANTED HIM, THIS IS MY TEAM. AND WHO CARES HOW YOU FEEL? NOT ME.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/22/22 10:15 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
And further more, I don't believe I called you a liar. If I did, it was true.

O
Legend
Legend
O
He's mid meltdown arch. Don't pay any attention to him. Just my advice.

V
Legend
Legend
V
WHO CARES HOW MANY OTHER TEAMS WANTED HIM, THIS IS MY TEAM. AND WHO CARES HOW YOU FEEL? NOT ME.

That's mature.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Who cares? Dealing with the likes of you does that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
And one question about your saying it's still possible he's innocent; do you believe there is a remote chance that is true, honestly?

TLDR: I've tried my hardest to maintain an open mind, and settling the cases doesn't move the needle for me at all. A big part of me is bummed because I want to know if this is true about the guy I'm supposed to be rooting for. It's weird to want this whole civil lawsuit thing to drag on to the end because none of the people that are actually involved want that (other than the lawyers).

From the jump, my guess was that he was hitting the massage circuit like he was in order to pay for sex. I think the oversized payments to individual masseuses, the pimp-type people that he made large payments to that organized many masseuses for him, his alleged preference for un-licensed/certified masseuses, etc speaks to that hypothesis. Perhaps he slipped up and booked women that weren't on board with this situation, and that's where this whole thing started to unravel. I dunno. My (biased) gut says I see a guy with some serious and seriously weird issues that allowed said issues (with a bunch of help from people around him that shouldn't have been helping him in this way) to get out of control. I don't see a guy that could be a Law & Order SVU season finale bad guy.

I'm really disappointed that we're not going to hear more evidence from these allegations. IMO, there wasn't enough evidence available to us 'normal folks' to know for sure. 24-26 is definitely a big number, but a lot of equally compelling evidence against those allegations got ignored due to Watson's team getting taken to school in the court of public opinion. There was enough evidence for Watson that unsurprisingly didn't make it into an HBO special focused on the ongoing civil lawsuits.

Yeah, I do believe there's a remote chance. I wanted that belief to be definitively proven one way or another.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Fair enough. I can respect that. But for a few interpretations of what I think happened, we could be on the same page. Let me ask how you feel about him being the Browns QB if there is no resolution to your questions. And I don't think he's SUV Finale bad, but if he used his celebrity and actually forced these women against their will, then he's close. But I don't think we will ever know. What are you supposed to do with that? Asking seriously for your opinion.

Legend
Legend
I've read most of your response to this over the past two days... and everyone here would agree that you are one of the more level-headed contributors. Here's a bottom line that we can all wrap our heads around...

"Knowing" what really went on was intersecting with a point on the graph known as "dumpster fire football team"; and I'll trade not knowing.

I don't need the gory details. Somewhere lost in the endless arguments between "but, but... a court of law..." and "22 women!!!" is a fact. I've said it many times, I'll say it again. Deshaun is a pervert. Plain and simple. And really, as the stories have unfolded, one of the biggest pigs in the (reported) history of the league. You don't really need to examine every case under a microscope to understand that.

As much as we all grew weary of Pit's "22 women!", he was 100% correct in one simple aspect... that doesn't happen by accident. It wasn't just a bandwagon. Regardless of any courts "decision" this lands squarely in the territory of "Houston, we have a problem".

Was he enabled? Maybe.
Was he unclear that he was crossing boundaries? Maybe at the beginning.
Was he clouded by the fact that many of these "sessions" resulted in him getting what he wanted? Good chance.
Was he warned that things were getting out of hand? YES. Yet he continued.

Is he remorseful? We'll find out.
Will time heal this wound? Time always does.

I've heard enough to know everything I need to know... #24 had me waving the white flag. It's not about "guilt" anymore, it's about what he does going forward. And truth be told, if his demeanor, beyond the timetable of the remaining litigation and suspension, is "I didn't do anything wrong"... there are not enough championships to make me respect him as a man.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: mgh888, OldColdDawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
I will talk to you because you seem fair. Perhaps you won't talk to me and that is fine.

I want to ask why you feel the need to know the details? Would knowing the details change your mind about whether or not you support the team?

I am not asking these questions in an adversarial manner. I know I got on OCD and arch earlier, but there is a history there. I am legitimately asking you why that is such a big deal?

Have you ever bought a pair of Nikes? If so, are you supporting slave labor? I can go on, but you are intelligent enough to get the point.

Legend
Legend
I really don't think there has ever been any shred of evidence that Watson "forced" anything. ALL reports of sexual assault were quickly squashed or discredited... with very little resistance from Buzbee.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No one is forcing you to root for Watson or the Browns. You have free will.

It appears to me that because some of you are unhappy about the QB decisions......and I do mean decisions.......that the Browns have made that you want others to agree w/you.

Why?

Once again, I have no problem w/anyone who is so disgusted by Watson's alleged actions that they stop rooting for the Browns. That is a personal choice. But WTF do you guys have to try and convince the rest of us to not root for them? Just leave and find a team more worthy of your higher moral standard.

Legend
Legend
Who the hell are you talking to? I'm not telling anyone not to root for the team.

And take your "decisions" Baker innuendo and shove it you know where. I've said nothing about Baker -- you're the one clinging to that b.s. like the last life raft leaving the Titanic.

Once again, no one cares what problems you have -- we can't keep up.

GTHOH with your "find a team worthy" nonsense. That crap may work on others, but you came to the wrong place if you think I'm going to listen to that ish.

Unreal.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I've heard enough to know everything I need to know... #24 had me waving the white flag. It's not about "guilt" anymore, it's about what he does going forward. And truth be told, if his demeanor, beyond the timetable of the remaining litigation and suspension, is "I didn't do anything wrong"... there are not enough championships to make me respect him as a man.

Read your own words and then shove your fake outrage up you butt.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, no one cares what problems you have -- we can't keep up.

What is this supposed to mean?

Please, reveal yourself for all to see.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FATE
I really don't think there has ever been any shred of evidence that Watson "forced" anything. ALL reports of sexual assault were quickly squashed or discredited... with very little resistance from Buzbee.

I've intentionally avoided the details because starting out, and even now, there is a degree of he said she said going on in those details. But I've tried to take a birdseye view to see the whole picture. In doing that I started by trying to be open-minded, but that position became difficult in the last couple of weeks. And yet, I was willing to watch and listen, and even started to admire DW's wanting to clear his name. Then the 23rd and 24th lawsuits happened, and the talking heads started to sway me, some with facts others with insights into being a player. The payment to the madam and the 25th and 26th killed any feelings I had that he might be truly innocent. And this settlement makes him look guilty to me. I get all the views and "what abouts" on that topic, but none of it withstood the smell test to me. At this point, I think he's worse than we know and the coverup is happening in the light of day to rescue his talent, save face for the NFL and FO, and to put it behind us for the sake of those that it's most inconvenient for. I'm struggling to accept that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/23/22 12:01 AM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
No one is forcing you to root for Watson or the Browns. You have free will.

It appears to me that because some of you are unhappy about the QB decisions......and I do mean decisions.......that the Browns have made that you want others to agree w/you.

Why?

Once again, I have no problem w/anyone who is so disgusted by Watson's alleged actions that they stop rooting for the Browns. That is a personal choice. But WTF do you guys have to try and convince the rest of us to not root for them? Just leave and find a team more worthy of your higher moral standard.

So I should be fine with throwing away 50 years of hardcore fanaticism over DW? NOPE. Not when I can be an activist for something better than what we are looking at now. But even if I can't get my questions answered, or am forced to tolerate him being our QB under these circumstances, I'm still a hardcore Browns fan and the only thing that will end that is my demise. If I can't actively root for them or enjoy the victories like I wish I could, I'll just bide my time because the NFL is the not-for-long league, after all.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/23/22 12:07 AM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
And take your "decisions" Baker innuendo and shove it you know where.

Very emotional, but let's take a look at those who have been the most fervent in their anti-Watson campaign, shall we?

Fate: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

Lex: I haven't noticed if he is a Baker fan or not. Does not like Watson.

888: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

Memphis: Liked Baker originally and then soured. Open minded about Watson.

OCD: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

bonefish: Baker fan, but willing to give Watson a chance.

cfrs: Not a Baker fan. Doesn't like Watson.

Purp: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

scott: Unsure if he is a Baker fan or not or if he he supports/hates Watson or not. Seemingly objective.

arch: Huge Baker fan. Does not like Watson.

Pit: Has been a huge Baker fan but has also criticized Baker in the past. Does not like Watson.
steve: Huge Baker fan.

oober: Big Baker fan, but more objective than others. Probably does not like Watson but might be more objective than most.

Bard: Likes Baker. Objective when it comes to Watson. Says let legal courts play out.

Rish: Did not think Baker was good qb although I think he liked him. Has not talked about Watson. I would like to hear from him.

jfan: Likes Baker. Supports Watson.

Homes; Same as jfan.

Milk: No longer a Baker fan. Views on Watson changing day by day as more info becomes available.

Bull: Same, I think?????

stripper: Does not like Baker. Unsure how he feels about Watson.

Plese correct me if I am wrong. Also, I have a bit of a buzz on and I apologize if I missed anyone who has been vocal.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/23/22 12:29 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That is fine. It's an individual choice. My only thing is why make others miserable if they don't agree w/you?

O
Legend
Legend
O
OCD: Huge Baker Fan, but didn't really know anything about DW. Was pissed at the trade, but after a couple of days accepted Baker was done in Cleveland. Tried to be open-minded about DW, but as time and events changed the narrative, decided he does not like DW.

If you want to be fair, that's the story. TBH, all I knew about DW was he was a QB for Houston that many liked. I don't pay attention to guys like that unless they are playing against us in any given week. And I only watch taking head clips about the browns. So it's not hard to understand.

Legend
Legend
Bro.

You just typed "Baker"... NINETEEN TIMES.

Get some rest. We'll go at it tomorrow.

HYDRATE.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

1 member likes this: mgh888
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
OCD: Huge Baker Fan, but didn't really know anything about DW. Was pissed at the trade, but after a couple of days accepted Baker was done in Cleveland. Tried to be open-minded about DW, but as time and events changed the narrative, decided he does not like DW.

If you want to be fair, that's the story. TBH, all I knew about DW was he was a QB for Houston that many liked. I don't pay attention to guys like that unless they are playing against us in any given week. And I only watch taking head clips about the browns. So it's not hard to understand.

Lex: Browns fan. Doesn't buy into the Baker Boy/ Watson Masseur craze. Believes Browns got fleeced on Watson.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

WTF kind of hard drugs did you all consume last night?

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: FATE, mgh888
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
20 cases settled, but Deshaun Watson can only begin to clear name with apology and remorse | Opinion

BY GREG COTE
UPDATED JUNE 22, 2022 4:06 PM
Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article262755108.html#storylink=cpy
link

The headline — ‘Deshaun Watson settles 20 of 24 sexual misconduct lawsuits against him’ — suggests sports’ saddest saga and the NFL’s current biggest embarrassment is nearing an end. It isn’t. And this is no victory lap for the embattled Cleveland Browns quarterback.

Three months ago, in his introductory news conference in Cleveland after the trade from Houston, Watson was asked specifically if he would attempt to settle the civil suits filed against him alleging grossly inappropriate behavior during massage therapy sessions. “That’s not my intent,” he said. “My intent is to continue to clear my name as much as possible, and that’s what I’m focused on.”

Watson knew it then: When you try to settle cases, i.e. pay money to make them go away, you are not so much “clearing your name” as you are seeming to concede wrongdoing — by perception, at least. Just last week he made clear again that settling the cases was not the plan. Then came Tuesday and Tony Buzbee, attorney for the all of the plaintiffs, announced 20 had agreed to settle. Hmm. Also last week, Watson finally admitted regrets, acknowledging at least a smidgen of responsibility for this mess.

“I do understand that I do have regrets as far as the impact on the community and people outside of just myself,” he said. “That includes my family. That includes this organization. That includes my teammates that have to answer these questions. That includes the fan base of the Cleveland Browns.”

That did not include the two dozen women suing him, rather notably. No regrets there. But now he wants to pay them for their troubles rather than “clear his name” by hoping a jury might agree 24 women are all lying while he, the real victim (!), is telling the truth. Smart move. A concession to reality, as the Akron Beacon-Journal publishes a new investigative report outlining many of the allegations in graphic detail.
Watson’s troubles have hardly gone away. Four civil suits remain, including that of Ashley Solis, the first woman to file a lawsuit, to identify herself as a plaintiff and to speak publicly.

“Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story,” Buzbee said. “Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases.” There also is the possibility other, new cases could be filed.

Legal maneuvering may also be in play under Rule 167 of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure. Under this rule, Watson could maker an offer to the remaining four plaintiffs and, if the plaintiffs in a trial ultimately recovered less than 80 percent of that offer, the plaintiffs would then be liable for all litigation costs incurred by Watson from the time the offer was rejected. I know, seems Byzantine. Strangely punishes the plaintiffs. Welcome to Texas! All of this plays out among lawyers as the NFL moves closer to announcing whether its investigation will lead to punishment for Watson under the league’s personal conduct policy. A substantial penalty is anticipated, including a major fine and perhaps a one-year (full season) suspension. What has been missing through all of this is any sense of mea culpa from Watson himself. That is understandable. Spending big to settle cases against you might imply guilt, but to admit it outright of course would be used against him as Exhibit A in the remaining four civil suits. It also would likely make the NFL come down with a bigger hammer in its punishment.

The situation is an uncomfortable conundrum for Watson, though — to admit zero wrongdoing as 24 women line up against you with explicit accusations even as you try to pay them to drop said cases. It might be after the civil trials have ended, but at some point Watson needs to try honesty and remorse. Unless 24 women are all lying, he had a creepy predilection to find sexual kicks during massage sessions. He got caught. The women say he wanted to expose himself? Well, he got exposed alright. Tiger Woods had a sex addiction. Admitted it. Got therapy. America forgave him. Embraced the contrition. He found a path back to being beloved. Deshaun Watson might take a lesson if the idea is closure, of getting past this for real. Before all of the settlements, he talked about “clearing his name.”

Unless 24 women are lying, he will never do it without a starting point of remorse, of apology.

This story was originally published June 22, 2022 11:27 AM.

GREG COTE
Greg Cote is a Miami Herald sports columnist who in 2021 was named top 10 in column writing by the Associated Press Sports Editors. Greg also hosts The Greg Cote Show podcast and appears regularly on The Dan LeBatard Show With Stugotz.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Most of Deshaun Watson's lawsuits have been settled, but the first — and potentially most problematic — remains

Dan Wetzel·Columnist
Wed, June 22, 2022, 2:12 PM
link

(Warning: This column contains allegations of sexual misconduct.)

It should be of little surprise that when Houston-area attorney Tony Buzbee announced that 20 of his 24 clients had settled civil lawsuits against Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, he spent most of the time talking about one of the plaintiffs who hadn’t resolved things.

Ashley Solis.

Tuesday’s settlements are a step toward Watson eventually moving past this scandal and perhaps returning to play NFL games, but it was by no means the end, or even close to it.

Solis and three other women who allege sexual assault, harassment and inappropriate behavior from Watson after he hired them for massage work remain. And Solis has always had a particularly strong case — and thus an ugly and potentially dangerous one for Watson.

It was Solis who had an established, professional massage-therapy business. It was Solis who was contacted out of the blue by Watson via Instagram. It is Solis who describes a creepy run-up to the meeting, alleging Watson inquired if she would be alone before sprawling out naked on the massage table with just a small hand towel and repeatedly directing contact to the groin area and then penis.

It is Solis who testified she ended the meeting abruptly and cried in front of Watson, which Watson acknowledged under oath, describing Solis as “teary-eyed.” It is Solis who received an apologetic text message from Watson, but also one that Solis took as threatening should she speak up about the encounter.

“I know you have a career and a reputation,” Watson wrote. “And I know you would hate for someone to mess with yours, just like I don’t want anyone messing with mine.”

It is Solis on whom Buzbee is hoping the focus remains.

“Ashley Solis is one of the heroes of this story,” Buzbee wrote in a statement. “Her case has not settled and thus her story and that of the other three brave women will continue. I look forward to trying these cases in due course, consistent with other docket obligations and the court's schedule.”

In other words, the very compelling case of Ashley Solis remains and eventually the court will hear it, likely in 2023.

Watson can either figure out how to settle that one, or risk the NFL either delaying its disciplinary decision or being influenced out of fear of the headlines and potential details that will come if it ever reaches court. The league stated Tuesday that the settlements had “no impact on the collectively bargained disciplinary process," per spokesman Brian McCarthy.

The Watson situation will eventually go to former federal judge Sue L. Robinson to determine if a violation occurred. If Robinson believes there was one, then she would then recommend a punishment, although in the end it will be commissioner Roger Goodell, or a designee, making the final determination.

This is as much a public relations situation for the league as a player discipline one. As such, the NFL would understandably be concerned about levying a punishment that seems light if further details come out, or an actual trial occurs impacting public sentiment.

Or Goodell could put Watson on the commissioner's exempt list, which would place Watson on indefinite paid leave and an eventual ruling could come later.

As this has dragged on and a continued drip, drip, drip of details and lawsuits have emerged, the situation for Watson’s NFL future has grown more dire. Where a six- or eight-game suspension once seemed most likely, almost no one is ruling out an entire season now.

Financially, Watson would be only lightly impacted by the NFL's punishment. His Cleveland contract is structured to protect as much money as possible. His $45 million signing bonus can’t be touched, and his base pay of $1.035 million would be on a game-by-game basis.

Still, the 26-year-old Watson, after being held out by Houston for the 2021 season, doesn’t want to miss another entire season of his prime. And Cleveland, which has committed considerable monetary, draft pick and public relations assets to acquire Watson, doesn’t want to lose him for 2022 when it has a roster capable of competing for a Super Bowl.

Yet here we still are.

Yes, 20 of 24 cases are gone, the hurdle cleared by Watson. Yet the ones that remain are still potentially problematic, especially Solis.

“The case against Deshaun Watson started with one phone call, from one brave and strong woman,” Buzbee said in a statement.

It’s likely to end with that same woman.

Last edited by mac; 06/23/22 06:34 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
You don't see many 'innocent guys' getting counseling and therapy as part of the settlement, do you? I'm glad he's going to get help with his addiction, but there it is. smh.

Sure you do. Business and government agencies have had many people take sensitivity training as standard procedure.

Not only that, but he remained deliberately vague (still pending cases). The only real specific he gave was about being ready to perform on the field.

Also, at the risk of angering some Board (or bored) Police folks, getting counseling for a sex issue (assumed this is what the counseling is for) doesn't necessarily mean he committed assault. He has a problem (so seeking treatment would be a positive), and it's still my belief that he fed an addiction by engaging masseuses as prostitutes (which I'm assuming is what one might do to not get caught up in TX prostitution laws), and at some point may or may not have slipped up or gone way too far.

The probability of both being true (him having a sex addiction/issue and him being innocent on the grounds of all incidents being consensual) is admittedly low, but still a possibility.

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't need the counseling, I just find it odd that one week after once again saying he was innocent, he settled and agreed to get counseling. But if he was innocent and just wanting to CLEAR his name, why did he need counseling? The guy is a slimeball.

And I get the business side, the league being on him, the Browns pushing this, etc. Still does nothing to convince me he deserves to be our QB and play any time soon.

And one question about your saying it's still possible he's innocent; do you believe there is a remote chance that is true, honestly? I don't, and if he settles the rest, we will never have a chance to know. I can't accept that and am SO disappointed that this team put it's fans in this situation. Winning just isn't that important to us, or we wouldn't be Browns fans. The whole thing reeks of Haslam's desperation.

My point is counseling is a fairly new phenomenon that is simply required whether you need it or not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Watson be the Browns Starting QB...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard