Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Agree on all points. Teimojin has grouse coming into his camp. All he has to do is not miss. Dude has a delivery app or something. GrouseHub.
He’s the leader in my mind. Compact body type. Getting calories. Good shelter. Good mental makeup.

My concern for Pablo is his GI seems to be off… we’ve seen where this leads. He’s catching fish but can’t gain an appetite to eat them. Not good.

Jessie spent herself building that damn shelter. I saw it as her ruin early on. The calories spent caught up to her quickly.

Karie Lee… I’ve met a bunch of ‘her’ in my years of Grateful Dead tours, spending time on communes, running in the festival scene. Fun girls to have around at a gathering. But a bit nuts for day to day. Lol.

Blonde Dude (can’t recall his name) has a really good shelter. He’s found new hunting ground. Unfortunately it’s a ways from his camp. Will the calories spent coming and going balance with the protein it provides? That’s his future in this game.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
At this juncture I would certainly give Teimojin a huge advantage. After watching this series from the very beginning such as yourself, I've come up with a theory on why some seem to have more of an advantage than others. Of course their survival skills plays a huge role. I know you're a big fisherman but don't recall if you are a hunter. I believe you are a hunter as well. All of us fisherman know and hunters know as well that some places, spots and areas are more filled with game as well as fish. And while watching the show over the course of years it seems some contestants are blessed with far better areas in regards to game and fish. Areas that produce well and provide more in terms of the food sources required to thrive.

Such is the case for Teimojin to this point. It seems the area he was given to survive presents him with a wealth of grouse. As we've seen often times he doesn't even need to walk out of camp and the grouse come to him. That has been a huge advantage for him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I meant to add this in my previous post but got preoccupied with other things. Something of a new angle with the Alone series coming out in august....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I did hunt but I gave it up early on. I don't like taking life. I have no problem with ethical hunting though. None at all.

Fishing I will eat some fish. Trophy type I always let go. Catch and release is law in many places I fish.

You are right about area. First task temporary shelter then a really thorough scouting of the area resources. One thing becomes clear after watching every season of Alone. You have to be taking in calories. Once you get to far behind. You can not catch up. You become weak and lethargic.

The guy who stabbed the musk ox. He was relentless about gaining food. So far in all the seasons I thought he was incredible as a survivor.

You learn from watching this show. You spot mistakes. You learn what it takes. I think people lose their focus. Easy to see why.

Alone fascinates me because there are so many factors at play.

The Arctic version will be something. Not for me. Where they are now Labrador. Beautiful. If younger it would be a place I think I would have had my best chance. I know how to hunt and trap beaver and muskrat. I have been fly fishing near there. Bow hunting I have done. That habitat is familiar to me. I have had quite a bit experience with bears.

Easy to say but I know this is serious stuff. Your mind is a strength or an enemy.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Adam did his best. Losing a pound a day will wear you down.

I have seen every season and episode of Alone.

What I have learned is you can never lose focus on the goal. It seems the ones who tap lose track of the goal.

Pablo has a strong will to persevere. I do not buy his strategy of starvation.

I believe after you first arrive and build a temporary shelter. You have to scout your area and set as many snares as you possibly can.

The area they are in has a big black bear population. None seem prepared to hunt a bear. The guy that got sick and tapped. He might have killed one.

The people remaining will not last much longer. The cold will stop them in their tracks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
As I see it they are all pretty run down and on the verge of malnutrition as of now. I don't see one as a strong leader to win. At the end of last week I felt differently but things seemed to have evened themselves out.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Man, I've never been into any of these-type shows, I think that's probably because I couldn't jump in with both feet during the Survivor craze and have just spurned them completely.

Saw Alone Season 8 was on Netflix, recalled all you fools raving about it, now I'm watching that... compulsively.

My wife is already rolling her eyes as it's something she's not into at all.

I'm sure I'll be binging every season now. If this results in divorce, I'll probably be living on one of these islands, so the info will come in handy. 🤣

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
FATE #1958198 07/23/22 08:00 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fate it is a interesting show.

When I went to college I studied indigenous populations and evolutionary anthropology.

It has always fascinated me how people lived. Alone puts these people into a real survival environment. As each day passes them documenting their journey is very real. Each person goes deep into into their own head. Their bodies break down. Their mental state breaks down. They get pushed to their limits.

You rarely get pushed to your limit.

Recently, I was doing my workout at a swimming pool. A Indian (from India) mother and daughter came to the pool. Mother early 40's daughter maybe 18. I exchanged some pleasantries with them briefly. They decided to race each other. The mom won. She was a good swimmer. I kidded the daughter about losing to her mom. I kept doing my workout. And for some unknown weird reason I decided to challenge the mom to a race. I am 74. The daughter called it. 25 meters.

I have not pushed myself with everything I have in a long, long time. I had no idea what would happen. Cramp, give out, get smoked, pass out whatever.
The daughter said 1,2,3 go. I took off with all I had. I wupped her. I hit the end of pool and had taken one breath. Nothing gave out. I made it and won. It felt great. I was like effing A.

As I watch Alone. I know it is hard. You can see how these strong people break down. It is a true challenge. But there is something to be said for giving all you got. To really test yourself. To find out what your limit is.

Mine is 25 meters full tilt after that I was done.

FATE #1958243 07/23/22 12:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the thing about Alone. For people looking for fake reality like we see in other reality shows Alone would not be for them. They think reality shows should be filled with entertainment value as it pertains to plot twists and underlying story lines. For those people I think they would find the series Alone to be very boring.

For those of us looking for real in a reality show, Alone is the only such show we watch.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
There was another show on a few years back about the last people allowed to live in the National Arctic Wildlife Refuge that was really good. I think it was called "The Last Alaskans" or something like that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I watched all of it.

Read a book about Heimo Korth.

The show was well done.

Legend
Legend
Well, this at least, seems real.

I'm not dumb enough to believe there is no artistic liberty, or that the studio is not more "present" than they appear. But it doesn't matter as long as you make me walk a mile in the shoes -- that's what it's all about. Some of it's a bit contrived... "Dude, you haven't eaten in five days, you probably want to march past 'passive fishing', quit making a useless knife, and go get some freaking fish!"

Solid entertainment that has me questioning how absolutely useless I would be in the same situation lol.

FATE #1958366 07/24/22 10:32 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is not any kind of personal attack.

You most likely are not a fisherman?

Because of Canadian fishing laws (which the show must follow) it is fly fishing only.

It is funny that people who do not fish think all is needed is a hook and water to catch fish. Fish are in the water and all you need to do is throw some kind of bait into the water and fish will bite it.

Catching fish is rarely easy.

There are websites that you can go to that show and explain all about Alone. How they pick the contestants. What is required from them.
How they are trained to film themselves. What they can bring and can't bring.

The show has become very popular worldwide. It has a large following.

I think it has become popular because of "making it real." Sure there is editing but I don't think it is scripted.

Legend
Legend
Lol. With all the go-between on this site, I would never be offended my someone questioning my fishing skills!

I don't know what qualifies one as a "fisherman". I've fished plenty, including in Canada. Wasn't aware of any "fly fishing only" rule.

To be clear, I'm also watching the season previous to you guys. They've made comments that gill netting may begin after 45 days, so it certainly sounds like there are agreed upon exceptions to the law, custom to the show.

I was specifically referencing big dude (Biko?) complaining that he can't catch fish when he gives it about an hour effort every few days. Meanwhile, he's forging a useless knife from a rusty nail while complaining about being so hungry.

Not commenting on how easy it is to catch fish, just questioning priorities. If I was hungry, I'd give it more than an hour every few days.

FATE #1958378 07/24/22 11:44 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That helps explain.

I didn't know you were referencing last season's show.

Canadian fishing laws are strange. It is by the river in some provinces. British Columbia was last season. This season is in Labrador.

The laws are very specific for hunting, fishing, and trapping.

Last year I was in New Brunswick. You had to have a guide. Fly fishing only all Atlantic salmon catch and release. Very strict on all bodies of water with limits by species, size, etc.

I have also fished British Columbia for steelhead. Each river and in some cases sections of the same river had different restrictions. No non resident can fish on Sundays. Indigenous people have whole different laws that apply.

Hunting for moose and some other game is by lottery only.

Watch the season two seasons ago. That was one of the best. The guy who won was really good.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's getting cold.

This is really getting down to it. All three are hanging in there.

Pablo is like no other person who has been on this series. He is not using fire. He is also drinking water without boiling it.
In addition he is starving by choice to slow down his metabolism. Wow. Plus he is maintaining a spirit of competition. I have to admire him.

He might win this thing.

Karrie Lee with all her hippie where-with-all is hanging tough. She is something else.

The doctor remains strong of will. He is very analytical about his physical state. He is staying strong.

All three are incredible. Hats off to them. I really do not know who will win. I thought Karrie Lee would be done for when the real cold hit. Her shelter is not so hot. But her mind set and skill is right there. The berry gel she made was a dynomite idea.

Totally hooked on what will happen.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly don't see a favorite at this point. Which makes it far more interesting in regards to the outcome than it has been in some seasons. I agree with everything you posted.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It is great to look at all three and say "what is going to happen?"

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great finale.

Juan is the man. Damn, the dude did it unconventionally as you could do it. Drank unboiled water. Did not maintain a fire. Nobody would have done that.

He was not going to give up. His metal approach was singularly focused.

Karie Lee, she was amazing. Not a youngster. She hung on till she was finished. Empty.

Teimojin came away at peace. He went out strong.
==========================================================================================

So for all us slobbering fans. We bring you "Frozen Alone All Stars." And, "You only get this stuff Alone." Plus, extra coverage and tips on Alone.

All it takes is for something to be successful. Release the hounds for more.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It was a great finale. It's a thing of beauty going into it with no idea who is going to come out victorious and watching the end all unfold. Alone: Frozen premieres this coming Thursday. I don't know if or how much I'll like it but I'm certainly going to check it out.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Juan was a tough tough kid. Mentally strong. I was rooting for him.
Karie Lee surprised me. In the beginning I never would have guessed she’d have gone as far. She’s a tough woman, tough person.
In the end it came down to who could hunker down and push themselves into uncomfortable places and not break. Karie not being able to draw her bow… that was her mental breaking point. She thought, if I can’t hunt, I can’t eat. If I can’t eat, it’s over.
Meanwhile Juan was fasting and not concerning himself at all with food. Mentally all he was focused on was staying still and staying hydrated. Both things he could easily accomplish everyday. Mentally it kept him in the game longer.
Congrats. $500,000k is a good payout for a kid his age. My guess is he’ll make smart choices with that money.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was pulling for all three.

Like you I had thought Karie Lee would not get that far. But she had an undying positive attitude. Good survival skills.

She could not draw the bow. It told her she was done.

Teimojin could have gone farther. But he reached peace with himself.

The winners of every season never lost focus of why I am here?

Alone is the test. No camera crew. Just you. And as you weaken the more you get into your head. More time in the shelter - thinking.

Juan never lost sight of winning. He was mentally prepared to starve. But in the end he still had body mass. The reason was because he wasted little energy.

His shelter minimal. He was not chopping wood. He was not hunting. He was not plowing through the snow chewing up calories. He kept his mind on the prize.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It’ll be interesting to see if other future contestants adopt his philosophies. No fire, fasting after the easy food it’s gone, etc.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know.

Different people different strategies. Probably not because most will try to eat and build good shelters. Most will build fires.

Juan was a different guy.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is interesting insight into Juan Pablo and how he prepared and his strategy.

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/books-media/alone-champion-juan-pablo-quinonez/

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Alone the series

Link Copied to Clipboard