Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Relax, it's not like ANYONE affiliated with him could read them. But keep an eye out for the micro fish film rolls, you know a guy who won't text or email is rolling old school.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am sure the Russians could read them quite easily.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
They were looking for nuclear documents. Top secret nuclear documents. How and why Trump had them can't possibly be accidental.

Freaking nuclear documents. And somehow people are going to excuse this and continue to claim this is some kind of political Witch Hunt. SMH

Nuclear documents. F me.

Can you bring your own receipts?
I'm not challenging you in an adversarial way... I'm just now seeing this for the first time, and would like come context.

thnx

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
They were looking for nuclear documents. Top secret nuclear documents. How and why Trump had them can't possibly be accidental.

Freaking nuclear documents. And somehow people are going to excuse this and continue to claim this is some kind of political Witch Hunt. SMH

Nuclear documents. F me.

On the outside looking at the "reports', I agree. Lets see if that is actually found.

Seeing as how the FBI has lied in the past, it is hard for me to totally trust them now.

Then I suppose, based on the FBI's recent track record, can you really trust that? I hope so or our country is done.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am willing to let this play out before jumping to conclusions.

However, anytime trump is involved with his record. Nothing is beyond the imagination when it comes to power and corruption.

He has proven over and over again that he truly believes that he is above the law.

M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Clem, no need to clarify, all good.

I'm sure you have now seen the reports and what's out there regarding what they were searching for.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lear-weapons-documents-say-reports-trump

No doubt we will watch it unfold. I'm pretty sure there will be some truth to this claim, whether or not the search was founded on good reasoning might be a different talking point. Hopefully we get to see the search warrant as so many leading republicans demanded.

Peen, maybe you need to review your stance on some of these issues. It really seems to be that amy news that you don't like, rather than debate or asses it, you dismiss it as outright lies. Respected and long serving public servants testifying about Jan 6th who testified under oath were dismissed by you and you instead sited unnamed sources who weren't under oath to suggest a different narrative. Now you don't like the FBI and your first reaction is to call into question the ethics and trust of the entire FBI.

There is always a chance there are shinanigans. But it seems you place trust in highly questionable places and want to dismiss that which has a higher probability of being more accurate/truthful.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They’re starting to post it all over the place now with the DOJ looking to release the warrant information too. Apparently Trump won’t contest its release.

What irks me a TON about this, too, on a personal level, is the process that played out over time. I said the same thing about Clinton, too, before the what-about crowd starts.

Had I left a SCIF with so much as a tiny piece of paper with a word on it, I’d be dragged through the ringer, instantly. Instantly. Part of that is to avoid the chance that any of that information could be reproduced in an u classified environment.

They let this play out over time and gave multiple chances to recoup the data. Who knows what happened with it in the interim. It doesn’t sound like any of it was kept in an approved stored environment, and believe me, there are a lot of boxes to check before an environment is “secure.”

Unreal.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by dawglover05
They’re starting to post it all over the place now with the DOJ looking to release the warrant information too. Apparently Trump won’t contest its release.

What irks me a TON about this, too, on a personal level, is the process that played out over time. I said the same thing about Clinton, too, before the what-about crowd starts.

Had I left a SCIF with so much as a tiny piece of paper with a word on it, I’d be dragged through the ringer, instantly. Instantly. Part of that is to avoid the chance that any of that information could be reproduced in an u classified environment.

They let this play out over time and gave multiple chances to recoup the data. Who knows what happened with it in the interim. It doesn’t sound like any of it was kept in an approved stored environment, and believe me, there are a lot of boxes to check before an environment is “secure.”

Unreal.

Brings a new twist to this story from a few years back:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ju...r-lago-malware-federally-charged-n990196

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
The measure of trump's incompetence is staggering.

In time as historians look back over these historic times. The presidency of trump will be looked upon as "all things that could go wrong did."

2 members like this: PortlandDawg, mgh888
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Anyone who doesn't think Mar a Lago hasn't been one of the top targets for every one of our countries adversaries intelligence agencies is an idiot.

Thinking Mar a Lago is effectively protected or infallible from those attempts is wishful thinking.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Nuclear documents. F me.

On the outside looking at the "reports', I agree. Lets see if that is actually found.

Seeing as how the FBI has lied in the past, it is hard for me to totally trust them now.

Then I suppose, based on the FBI's recent track record, can you really trust that? I hope so or our country is done.

I have a choice...trust a known liar like Trump and his supporters...

OR trust the federal government, DOJ, DOD, FBI...

I must admit, I "detest" liars and thieves like Trump MAGA folks, who are not smart enough to realize Trump makes his living off of the "weak minded".

The weak minded who can't seem to realize how Trump's scheme works...he feeds the MAGA folks a lie, appealing to their 'emotions'...then he asks

FOR A DONATION..! and MAGA supporters write those checks to Trump, with no idea what Trump is going to use your donation for.

My experiences dealing with the FBI, DOJ and DOD have been nothing but positive and I trust and support this version of these government agencies.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I'm confused by this whole narrative. It seems a bit like witch hunt with sprinklings of media sensationalism. But at the end of the day, if any of it proves to be true, throw the dolt in the fire. If he doesn't understand the meaning of "classified information", that's on him.

There are definitely some 2+2=5 moments though.

National Archives home page:

We drive openness, cultivate public participation, and strengthen our nation’s democracy through public access to high-value government records.

Our mission is to provide public access to Federal Government records in our custody and control. Public access to government records strengthens democracy by allowing Americans to claim their rights of citizenship, hold their government accountable, and understand their history so they can participate more effectively in their government.

What is the National Archives ?

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nation's record keeper. Of all documents and materials created in the course of business conducted by the United States Federal government, only 1%-3% are so important for legal or historical reasons that they are kept by us forever.

Those valuable records are preserved and are available to you, whether you want to see if they contain clues about your family's history, need to prove a veteran's military service, or are researching a historical topic that interests you.

These people handle things like Census Records, Congressional Records, Genealogy...

Please explain to me how and why they would suspect "nuclear documents" are missing?

Or are there no nuclear documents missing, but just saying "we're looking for them" will cause outrage whether they are missing or not? Read this board -- everyone is legit acting like they already found them on Trump's bathroom floor.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Clem, no need to clarify, all good.

I'm sure you have now seen the reports and what's out there regarding what they were searching for.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lear-weapons-documents-say-reports-trump

No doubt we will watch it unfold. I'm pretty sure there will be some truth to this claim, whether or not the search was founded on good reasoning might be a different talking point. Hopefully we get to see the search warrant as so many leading republicans demanded.

Peen, maybe you need to review your stance on some of these issues. It really seems to be that amy news that you don't like, rather than debate or asses it, you dismiss it as outright lies. Respected and long serving public servants testifying about Jan 6th who testified under oath were dismissed by you and you instead sited unnamed sources who weren't under oath to suggest a different narrative. Now you don't like the FBI and your first reaction is to call into question the ethics and trust of the entire FBI.

There is always a chance there are shinanigans. But it seems you place trust in highly questionable places and want to dismiss that which has a higher probability of being more accurate/truthful.

Actually, the affidavit is more germane to the question of the search. That is the sworn document that is presented to a judge outlining why they feel a warrant should be issued.

My feeling on the FBI really hasn't changed in a good while, like years. I have felt they have been unchecked for a long time. Add in the outright lies they told about the Russia collusion I find it hard to 'trust' them.

The FBI is a fine organization, but I feel they have gone beyond their mission and have components that seem to acting like the CIA inside our borders. I am not summarily going to dismiss any finding, but they clearly need to be scrutinized.

I also don't know who I may have dismissed concerning 1-6. I never really paid all that much attention to the matter.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
As always we have to shift through the media spin and sensationalism. But factually I believe Trump has been widely reported as having been negligent with government documents. Personal bias leads to to have more faith in the idea that somehow Trump had Nuclear confidential documents that he shouldn't have. As Dawglover wrote above, the law is black and white.

2 members like this: dawglover05, FATE
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not all laws are written in black letters.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump calls for ‘immediate release’ of Mar-a-Lago search warrant, says lawyers won’t oppose DOJ move

Former President Trump late Thursday called for the release of the warrant allowing the FBI to search his Mar-a-Lago home earlier this week.

“Release the Documents Now!” he wrote on his social media platform Truth Social.

Trump’s comments came hours after Attorney General Merrick Garland said that the Justice Department had moved to unseal the warrant.

The former president’s Mar-a-Lago residence was searched by the FBI on Monday, possibly to find classified information that the former president had illegally brought home after the end of his time in office.

Trump said he was “encouraging” the immediate release of documents related to the FBI search of his home, adding that he wanted the public to see the warrant despite its being written by “radical left Democrats.”

“Not only will I not oppose the release of documents related to the unAmerican, unwarranted, and unnecessary raid and break-in of my home in Palm Beach, Florida, Mar-a-Lago, I am going a step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of those documents,” he wrote.

“Even though they have been drawn up by radical left Democrats and possible future political opponents, who have a strong and powerful vested interest in attacking me, much as they have done for the last 6 years,” the former president added.

Shortly after Garland’s announcement on Thursday, a judge set a 3 p.m. deadline for Trump and his lawyers to oppose the move to unseal the warrant.

The Justice Department has not yet shared information explaining the reasoning behind the search, and many in addition to Trump are calling for the release of the search warrant to the public.

Garland said that he signed off on the move but did not provide further information on the reasoning behind the raid.

“Federal law, long-standing department rules and our ethical obligations prevent me from providing further details as to the basis of the search at this time,” Garland said.

The search took place following a summer of public hearings arranged by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

“This unprecedented political weaponization of law enforcement is inappropriate and highly unethical,” Trump wrote in his post calling for the release of documents related to the Mar-a-Lago search.

Earlier this year, the Justice Department investigated the former president upon request from the National Archives after classified materials were found at his Mar-a-Lago residence.

Updated at 7:37 a.m.

https://thehill.com/homenews/359803...rrant-says-lawyers-wont-oppose-doj-move/

Trump’s ignoring legitimate legal recourse — that speaks volumes

Former President Donald Trump has characteristically growled, yapped and roared against the FBI’s execution of a warrant issued by an independent federal judge authorizing a particularized search for evidence of crimes in his Mar-a-Logo residence — potentially destruction of presidential records or unauthorized sharing of classified information. Trump’s appointee, FBI Director Christopher Wray, who was confirmed by a 92-5 Senate majority with only Democrats in opposition, supervised the search.

Actions speak louder than words. Trump has scampered away from available immediate legal challenges to the FBI search — a tacit concession that his semi-hysterical histrionics are sound and fury signifying nothing.

Rule 41 (g) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure authorizes Trump to file suit demanding a return of all materials seized by the FBI at Mar-a-Lago by proof that the search warrant or its execution was legally defective. The text is clear to persons unschooled in the law: “A person aggrieved by an unlawful search and seizure of property or by the deprivation of property may move for the property’s return…The court must receive evidence on any factual issue necessary to decide the motion. If it grants the motion, the court must return the property to the movant.” None among the former president’s long roster of lawyers has questioned the legality of the search under Rule 41 (g).

A valid search warrant requires the issuing judge to be neutral, and that probable cause exists to believe that evidence of a crime will be discovered in the places to be searched. Fishing expeditions or raids are unconstitutional. The Fourth Amendment requires warrants to “particularly [describe] the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.”

Furthermore, under Criminal Rule 41 (f), the FBI must prepare an inventory of the property seized and the “officer executing the warrant must give a copy of the warrant and a receipt of the property taken to the person from whom, or from whose premises the property was taken.” On Thursday via social media, Trump requested the release of documents related to his search warrant — after Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the Justice Department had petitioned courts to unseal the documents.

Additionally, under the decision of the United States Supreme Court in Bivens v. Six Unknown Agents (1971), Trump could sue FBI agents for damages for violation of his Fourth Amendment rights either in executing the search warrant or intentionally lying to establish probable cause.

It speaks volumes that Trump has balked at seeking an adjudication of the legality of the Mar-a-Lago search either under Rule 41 or in a Fourth Amendment damages suit. Maybe he learned something from losing more than 60 lawsuits challenging the 2020 presidential elections.

Contrary to uninformed caterwauling by Trump and his echo chambers, he has been treated with kid gloves compared with President Richard Nixon.

In February 1974, Nixon was named by a federal grand jury as an unindicted co-conspirator in the cover-up of the Watergate burglary. Subpoenas were issued for presidential tapes, including for a critical, allegedly incriminating, conversation on June 20, 1974. But the tape contained an 18 and a-half-minute gap, which chief of staff Alexander Haig attributed to an anonymous “sinister force.”

Considering this history, it would have been prosecutorial malpractice to have issued a subpoena for Trump’s boxes of presidential papers in lieu of a search warrant — especially because of Trump’s notoriety for flushing presidential documents down the toilet.

After resigning, Nixon remained vulnerable to prosecution until President Gerald Ford’s pardon on Sept. 8, 1974. But that did not end Nixon’s Watergate travails. In 1975, Nixon testified under oath for 11 hours before a federal grand jury, questioned by the special Watergate prosecution force.

Trump’s signature fact-free and law-free defenses — witch hunts and a Democratic Gestapo — was recently rejected by a 3-0 panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Committee on Ways and Means v. Trump. The court sustained the constitutionality of the committee’s statutory right of access to Trump’s tax returns.

Even if Trump’s treatment has been unique, so has been his frontal assault on the Constitution. He proclaimed in the manner of Napoleon’s self-coronation, “Then I have Article II, where I have the right to do anything I want as president.” With that said, Trump routinely flouted the law. According to his national security advisor John Bolton, “The pattern [of Mr. Trump’s actions] looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life.” Like the Supreme Court’s conclusion in Nixon v Administrator of General Services, sustaining the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act expressly targeting former President Nixon, Trump constitutes a “legitimate class of one.”

America fought a revolution to make the rule of law king, not to make a king the ruler of law. Trump is orchestrating a counterrevolution against that hallowed success. As Benjamin Franklin noted at the conclusion of the constitutional convention, the delegates gave us a Republic, but it is up to us to keep it.

Bruce Fein was associate deputy attorney general under President Reagan and is the author of “Constitutional Peril: The Life and Death Struggle for Our Constitution and Democracy.”

https://thehill.com/opinion/judicia...mate-legal-recourse-that-speaks-volumes/

FBI agents found dozens of classified documents in Mar-a-Lago search: sources

(NewsNation) — FBI agents found dozens of classified documents during their search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago on Monday, sources confirmed to NewsNation.

Investigators discovered classified documents in two areas: Trump’s personal office above a ballroom and in a storage room near the pool. Sources say there were “boxes everywhere,” with some containing Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI). Those are considered some of the highest level of classified documents.

Since the documents are so secretive, it’s unknown whether investigators will ever publicly acknowledge what they’re in reference to, let alone release them.

Classified nuclear weapons documents may have been among the items the FBI found, according to a source cited by the Washington Post.

Attorney General Merrick Garland spoke publicly for the first time Thursday about the FBI search of Trump’s home, and although he did not reveal what the FBI was looking for, he did say he approved the search.

Garland said he would be asking a court to unseal the search warrant. Trump said Thursday night he doesn’t oppose its release and encouraged it to be unsealed immediately.

The judge has set a deadline of 3 p.m. Friday for Trump’s legal team to decide if they are going to object to the release of the warrant.

Questions have been circulating about exactly what it was the FBI was looking for and why they would engage in the unprecedented search of a former president’s home. According to the Washington Post, it may have been because federal authorities worried sensitive nuclear documents possibly in Trump’s possession could fall into the wrong hands.

The New York Times then reported Thursday night that the search was focused around material relating to “some of the most highly classified programs run by the United States,” according to an anonymous source cited by that publication.

Attorney General Merrick Garland listens to a question as he leaves the podium after speaking at the Justice Department. (Credit: AP)
The Washington Post’s source, which was anonymous, did not say whether or not any nuclear weapons documents were found in the home.

Sources confirmed to NewsNation that the execution of the search warrant is linked to an investigation into whether or not the former president mishandled presidential records related to the discovery of boxes full of White House records that were taken to Mar-a-Lago after Trump left office.

Trump lawyer Christina Bobb said on NewsNation’s “On Balance: With Leland Vittert” on Thursday that they were surprised by the FBI raid on Trump’s home, having believed to that point they had cooperated amply with federal investigators.

Bobb said Trump handed over everything investigators had asked for prior to the search. Federal authorities indicated otherwise with the search.

Neither the Department of Justice nor Trump’s legal team have made the search warrant or search receipt public yet.

Former President Donald Trump arrives at Trump Tower, late Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2022, in New York. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)
Bobb said the Trump legal team would be open to making the documents public, but needed to confer with the Justice Department first.

“We’re waiting to hear back from them,” Bobb told NewsNation. “We’re very eager. We know that people want information, and we’re eager to respond as best as possible in coordination with the Department of Justice so we’re just waiting to hear back from them.”

Trump called the search of his estate a “surprise attack” and alleged it was a “targeted raid.”

“In early June, the DOJ and FBI asked my legal representatives to put an extra lock on the door leading to the place where boxes were stored in Mar-a-Lago — We agreed. They were shown the secured area, and the boxes themselves. Then on Monday, without notification or warning, an army of agents broke into Mar-a-Lago, went to the same storage area, and ripped open the lock that they had asked to be installed. A surprise attack,” Trump said on the social media platform Truth Social.

https://thehill.com/homenews/359807...-documents-in-mar-a-lago-search-sources/

O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump Demands the DOJ Release the FBI Search Warrant… That He’s Had All Week

Trump could have released the FBI search warrant days ago.

Donald Trump repeatedly declared on Truth Social on Thursday night that he wants to “release the documents” related to the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago home earlier this week.

“Not only will I not oppose the release of documents related to the unAmerican, unwarranted, and unnecessary raid…I am going a step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of those documents,” Trump said in a late-night post on his own social media platform.

What Trump didn’t post on Truth Social was that he actually has the documents themselves—and has been free to publish them since the FBI first knocked on the door of his Florida residence on Monday morning.

“They have to leave a copy of the search warrant as well as the inventory of what they took at the location where they took it. It’s up to [Trump’s team] whether they want to show the rest of the world what that says,” David Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor in the Southern District of Florida, told VICE News.

Trump’s posts came hours after the Department of Justice moved to unseal the search warrant and other documents related to the FBI search. The news was announced at a brief press conference held by Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday, the first public comment by the DOJ since the unprecedented search of an ex-president’s home.

The DOJ filed the motion to unseal with a court in South Florida. Judge Bruce Reinhart, who signed the original warrant, received violent death threats as a result. Reinhart gave the Justice Department until 3 p.m. Friday to tell him if Trump’s team agreed to the unsealing of the search-related documents.

CBS reported Thursday that Trump’s legal team has been weighing whether to release the documents they have, according to Florida-based Trump attorney Lindsey Halligan.

Halligan said their team has videos and photos of the search from Mar-a-Lago’s private security cameras, which CBS reports the FBI asked to be turned off. Trump’s legal team reportedly refused. Trump’s legal team is considering releasing the footage, Halligan said.

Halligan also told CBS that the FBI had given them a “bare-bones” search warrant that does not include the underlying reasons why the search was conducted. She added that the log of items taken from Mar-a-Lago was also “vague.”

Of course, Trump’s legal team might not really want the search warrant and accompanying documents released, given the potentially damaging nature of the items being sought in the search—which the Washington Post reported Thursday were “nuclear documents,” among other items.

Trump addressed the Washington Post’s report in another Truth Social post early Friday morning, calling it a “hoax,” before going on to once again boost the baseless conspiracy theory that the FBI planted evidence at his home.

The search of Mar-a-Lago has sparked a vicious backlash among Trump’s supporters, including many high-profile Republican Party leaders and members of the right-wing media, as well as the far-right. They have led and boosted calls for civil war, while extremists online have violently threatened and doxed Reinhart and his family.

On Thursday, a Trump supporter attacked an FBI office in Cincinnati with a nail gun and an AR-15-style rifle, claiming on social media that he had been inspired to take action as a result of the search of Trump’s home.

Like Trump, the attacker was also an avid user of Truth Social, and in the middle of the attack, while being sought by law enforcement, he updated his Truth Social status one last time.

“If you don’t hear from me, it is true I tried attacking the F.B.I. and it’ll mean either I was taken off the internet, the F.B.I. got me, or they sent the regular cops,” he wrote, hours before an armed standoff with police ended in the 42-year-old being shot and killed.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5v...-fbi-search-warrantthat-hes-had-all-week

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I just typed the following post but decided to hold it and finish it later...

Just a hunch..but I believe Trump might have down graded Highly Classified documents to get them out of the White House/DC then refused to give the documents back when the National Archives realized the documents were missing.
He will likely claim that he was entitled to those documents or that 'he just made a mistake' and that down-grading the classification was just an error.

Then the story below came across the news wire...

Trump allies say he declassified Mar-a-Lago documents. Experts say it's unclear whether that will hold up.

https://www.aol.com/news/trump-allies-declassified-mar-lago-231609740.html

Last edited by mac; 08/12/22 12:42 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You know Peen, if the circumstances were different I would give some degree of credence to why you feel as you do. But the process used seems to make your scenario unlikely. The warrant was requested by the FBI. That much certainly seems to be a fact. But the FBI didn't take that request to a judge. Instead it went up the chain of command and was looked at and approved all the way up the ladder even to Garland. It wasn't as if the FBI made up some unfounded claim and it was rubber stamped. Then after all of that, a judge who read the warrant approved it based on what was in the request. The judge too knew the ramifications of honoring their request. And we are all seeing that play out in real time. There's no way that I believe a rational thinking person can strongly consider this as some fabricated process. This was a very thorough process.

There's nobody in the FBI or the DOJ that didn't understand the backlash this would cause. They all knew of the scrutiny that would be involved. That's why it would be virtually impossible for me to believe this was some off the cuff fabrication. According to reports, it was someone on the inside of the trump circle who blew the whistle on this. He had obviously been fighting a subpoena of these documents for some time. We know what would happen if we did something like that. Why should he be any different?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
bUt He JuSt MaDe A mIsTaKe... rolleyes

The dude is a major threat to our nation and needs to be removed from society.

Legend
Legend
omg if this dude took docs related to nuclear weapons....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
Lets just see what was taken. In the end, he can declassify them the moment he takes them. He doesn't need to make a proclamation of such as far as I know.

Now, what exactly is called nuclear, top secret items is yet to be determined. Lot's of thing listed as classified info aren't exactly earth shattering information....

Here is another sticking point. If the information is classified info, we won't find out what it was. It could be nothing, it could be something. Either way people will say it can't be discussed. Maybe it would be a big shadow over the man, or maybe a shadow with little consequence that some people hope won't go away.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh it won't go away. We'll be hearing it called a witch hunt for years to come. No matter what they found.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lets just see what was taken
In the end, he can declassify them the moment he takes them. He doesn't need to make a proclamation of such as far as I know.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Lets just see what was taken. In the end, he can declassify them the moment he takes them. He doesn't need to make a proclamation of such as far as I know.

Of course, if Biden re-classified it -- then it would again be classified. I'm not sure the "I said the magic declassification words quietly, and so nobody else knew it was declassified" is going to be a very strong defense in court.

Since there was apparently a months-long back and forth about this - I would guess the Biden administration would have had ample time to formally re-classify things.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 08/12/22 03:08 PM.

~Lyuokdea
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Oh it won't go away. We'll be hearing it called a witch hunt for years to come. No matter what they found.

Probably so. Maybe it will be true. The other is true as well, he will be called a traitor no matter which way it goes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Lets just see what was taken
In the end, he can declassify them the moment he takes them. He doesn't need to make a proclamation of such as far as I know.

Inadvertent could be a key word. It could be argued he had deliberate intent. I also think the context used doesn't pertain.
My question is what procedures need to be followed? If there a form that needs to be filed? I don't know of any, but more on point, I don't know.

I know the author is a law professor. I wish he expounded a bit more.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/12/22 03:27 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Inadvertent? Lol. Inadvertently flushed down the toilet? You rightly tighties crack me up.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Inadvertent? Lol. Inadvertently flushed down the toilet? You rightly tighties crack me up.

And the shifty-lifty-lefties? Hillary "inadvertently" left a few on the toilet seat while she was bleaching the bathroom...

"Clinton's server was found to hold over 100 emails containing classified information, including 65 emails deemed "Secret" and 22 deemed "Top Secret". An additional 2,093 emails not marked classified were retroactively designated confidential by the State Department."

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

And the shifty-lifty-lefties? Hillary "inadvertently" left a few on the toilet seat while she was bleaching the bathroom...

"Clinton's server was found to hold over 100 emails containing classified information, including 65 emails deemed "Secret" and 22 deemed "Top Secret". An additional 2,093 emails not marked classified were retroactively designated confidential by the State Department."

since yall constantly diverting to "what about hillary", when will trump sit in front of a committee on live TV answering questions for hours like Hillary did?

fate, you still haven't acknowledge that trump is a victim of his own policy making in 2018, the fbi director who executed the warrent appointed by him, and the judge who signed off on the warrant appointed by him.

but let me guess, none of that matters "cuz hillary"

fate, can you make a comment on this without bringing up hillary?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B

And you totally missed my point. Take the time to read what I said and to what I was making my reply rather than read one word and think you know what you are talking about.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Here is the point...

...es·pi·o·nage
/ˈespēəˌnäZH/
noun

the practice of spying or of using spies, typically by governments to obtain political and military information:
"the camouflage and secrecy of espionage"

Now to apply the information above to the present situation as it pertains to present situation dealing with Trump...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Not Even the President Can Declassify Nuclear Secrets

Fan letters and snapshots are one matter, and launch codes are another—and here the details of classification might decide just how much trouble Trump is in.

By Graeme Wood

The executive branch’s system of classification is among the weirdest aspects of the American government, and sometimes it seems as if those best equipped to understand it are people with a background in obscure religious practices—say, Roman Catholic sacramental theology—rather than journalists or lawyers. Certain officials are consecrated as having “original classification authority” (they can baptize documents as classified without reference to previous classification); some are ordained to classify but derive their authority from others. You can be defrocked for various reasons. But the authority to classify and declassify flows from one person with near-absolute power, and for four years that papal figure was Donald J. Trump. This awesome former power will protect him from prosecution, but only so much.

Attorney General Merrick Garland revealed yesterday that the FBI’s search of Mar-a-Lago concerned the existence of classified material at Trump’s Florida golf resort. And The Washington Post reported that the material included “documents relating to nuclear weapons,” which would seem to surpass in gravity the pilfering of presidential memorabilia that many speculated was the reason for the raid. If Trump took away a postcard from Kim Jong Un, well, tsk-tsk. Political prudence might dictate that Garland not prosecute the case.

Moreover, so much material is classified that one should expect a slipup here and there. For decades, the crusade against overclassification has been a cause mostly of the left, in part on the grounds that so much is secret that no one, let alone Trump, could be expected to abide by all classification rules. Secrets are not rare. By some measures there might be more information that is classified by the U.S. government than is unclassified, in any library, anywhere. In 2004, the physicist Peter Galison tallied the amount of classified material produced every year and found that “about five times as many pages are being added to the classified universe than are being brought to the storehouses of human learning, including all the books and journals on any subject in any language collected in the largest repositories on the planet.” The government certainly has more classified data than exists unclassified in the entire Library of Congress. Mistakes will be made, especially by officials who are flagrantly heedless of basic procedure.

But fan letters and snapshots are one matter, and launch codes are another—and here the details of classification might decide just how much trouble Trump is in. First, let’s focus on the absolute portion of near-absolute power. The 1988 Supreme Court case Navy v. Egan confirmed that classification authority flows from the president except in specific instances separated from his powers by law. And here is where things get theological: A president can make most documents classified or declassified simply by willing them so. This peculiar power is so great that the government has an office that exists solely to manage it: the Information Security Oversight Office, which has a strong claim to being the coolest government office you’ve never heard of. (The longest-serving director of this office, Steven Garfinkel, told me that for two decades he had access to pretty much every secret in the executive branch. “If there was a version of the game show Jeopardy entirely about the federal government,” he deadpanned to me once, “I would be in the Tournament of Champions every single year.” Garfinkel retired to teach high school in 2002 and died in 2018.)

His successor, J. William Leonard, led the office under George W. Bush, and he confirmed the lack of general limitation of his boss’s power. While a president is president, Leonard told me, “the rules and procedures governing the classification and declassification of information apply to everyone else.” And that means Trump could have declassified whatever he wished (again, with specific limitations soon to be discussed) before carting it off to Mar-a-Lago. He would not have had to file paperwork—just “utter the magic words,” Leonard told me. He could have waved his hand over the U-Haul trailer as it headed out the White House driveway and down I-95 toward Florida, and there would have been no classified material in there to mishandle.

Leonard noted important caveats, however. First, Trump’s power to declassify ended with his presidency. Second, that U-Haul could be reclassified by someone else. (Depending on traffic and the sharpness of the Biden administration, I would imagine it could have been reclassified somewhere around Fredericksburg, Virginia.) And third, there are certain materials that presidents cannot classify and declassify at will. One such category of material is the identity of spies.

Another is nuclear secrets. The Atomic Energy Acts of 1946 and 1954 produced an even stranger category of classified knowledge. Anything related to the production or use of nuclear weapons and nuclear power is inherently classified, and Trump could utter whatever words he pleased yet still be in possession of classified material. Where are our nuclear warheads? What tricks have we developed to make sure they work? This information is “born secret” no matter who produces it. The restrictions on documents of this type are incredibly tight. In the unlikely event that Trump came up with a new way to enrich uranium, and scribbled it on a cocktail napkin poolside at Mar-a-Lago early this year, that napkin would instantly have become a classified document subject to various controls and procedures, and possibly illegal for the former president to possess. Of course if he did so, no prosecutor would pursue him. A certain amount of leeway is crucial to the system.

If Trump was keeping nuclear secrets in the storeroom of his country club, without even the benefit of a padlock, and resisted attempts to secure those secrets against infiltrators and spies, a prosecutor might reasonably take more interest. After all, he’s the ex-president, not the pope.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...aid-classified-nuclear-documents/671119/

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by FATE

since yall constantly diverting to "what about hillary", when will trump sit in front of a committee on live TV answering questions for hours like Hillary did?

fate, you still haven't acknowledge that trump is a victim of his own policy making in 2018, the fbi director who executed the warrent appointed by him, and the judge who signed off on the warrant appointed by him.

but let me guess, none of that matters "cuz hillary"

fate, can you make a comment on this without bringing up hillary?

I could make a bunch of comments on this without bringing up $hillary, made one before that. I was just responding to another of Spiral's "pfft" comments. Everything he (if "he" is not a bot, I'm not sure) posts deserves the same sad, ironic response. Just entertainment to me lol.

Did you read my other post?

I'm trying to figure out why "National Archives" would have anything to do with nuclear documents... or know they were "missing". They've been pilfered by their own members, directors, Clinton's national security advisor, everyone down to a flippin' portrait painter. Seems like putting them in charge of nuclear documents would be like handing over your banking to Helen Keller and her dyslexic cousin.

Nothing makes sense anymore. 🤣

O
Legend
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/12/22 06:22 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O

O
Legend
Legend
O
Of Course!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mar-a-Lago Raided by FBI

Link Copied to Clipboard