Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
FATE #1965787 08/28/22 02:26 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Fate...

I really agree with your conclusion. I think the Browns panicked after Nico Collins was snagged before them (And I said it multiple times-Nico was the WR to be had after all the top guys were gone...I was really high on him...and everything coming out of Texans camp, is he's been shining all summer for them) I think the Browns FO reached severely on Schwartz...who at his ceiling, had 6th round at best tape...His (Schwartz) game is just severely lacking...I think if he ran a 4.48...He probably would have went as a UDFA (theres always UDFA with solid tape and really good speed)...but with that 4.28 timed speed, someone was going to grab him.

While I can see giving him time to grow, I do not want to see Schwartz even in (4) WR sets, he just doesn't deserve to see the field yet. I have a feeling there's going to be some WR shuffling here come 53 man limits.

2 members like this: FATE, Rottweiller
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Anybody else tired of Stefanskis canned responses after a game?
Would be nice if he showed a little fire once in awhile.

I noticed alot of slow developing plays vs the Bears. I get that's its preseason
And things have to get worked out,but it's wake up time
The regular season is now. In a few weeks it's go time.

DPJ did nothing in the passing game. He has not shown
Any growth as a WR from 2021.
Schwartz belongs on the practice squad. I see his fan club
From 2021 can't defend him any longer

Too many penalties on offense. Kinda funny how
Last years SB teams were the least penalized in the league
Last year.

The running backs ran well. This team has too many good RBs
And not enough good WRs.

Legend
Legend
I'd bet money... Nobody denied Nico may be a work in progress (he has been), but he has all the tools. His stock dropped because of lack of current tape and time -- he opted out in 2020 because of COVID. I predict him to be a very solid contributor this season. And again, if the theory is false that means the FO had Schwartz graded higher. I sincerely hope that wasn't the case.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Nice to read your post, Tru. You are always a voice of reason around here and keep it to football.

Thank you Vers! Good to see you again...I've kind of disappeared since the draft talk (and with us not having a lot of keen picks, it was kind of saddening for me lol) and I think you were away for a bit during that time.

I have always appreciated you and your input on this site...We have discussed our opinions and insight multiple times, even disagreed...But always kept it top notch and professional. Look forward to your posts!

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
And some genius will want him to field punts and/or kickoffs. I think Schwartz has been lousy. Keep somebody who catches in games. Not sure where the love is coming from from KS, where he doesn't intend to cut him. Trade him if he is that "good."

I honestly think Stefanski's love for the guy is due to Berry's love for the guy. I think if it was up to Stefanski he would cut the guy, but Berry holds the cut/keep cards.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
FATE #1965798 08/28/22 02:58 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by FATE
I'd bet money... Nobody denied Nico may be a work in progress (he has been), but he has all the tools. His stock dropped because of lack of current tape and time -- he opted out in 2020 because of COVID. I predict him to be a very solid contributor this season. And again, if the theory is false that means the FO had Schwartz graded higher. I sincerely hope that wasn't the case.

Yeah I really loved a lot of aspects of Nico's tape....him being physical, routes, strong hands, 50/50 ability, playing to his frame, blocking etc. I think he ran a 4.48 (can't remember) but he has some big play flair, despite not being a burner. He suffered from poor QB play (then again Schwartz QB sucked too...I think it was Bo Nix) And you knew he would take a little more time with his covid opt out. But I too expect him to put some strong games up this year, as he should get some ample playing time.

1 member likes this: FATE
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
And some genius will want him to field punts and/or kickoffs. I think Schwartz has been lousy. Keep somebody who catches in games. Not sure where the love is coming from from KS, where he doesn't intend to cut him. Trade him if he is that "good."

I honestly think Stefanski's love for the guy is due to Berry's love for the guy. I think if it was up to Stefanski he would cut the guy, but Berry holds the cut/keep cards.

+10 Right now Wims is a better WR than Schwartz, and that's kind of sad.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched Baker against the Bills. Baker is looking good. He is a solid NFL QB that we could have won with. My fear is when Watson does get to play he will be a shell of what they think he will be and be very disappointing. Funny side note the announcer once called Baker "Mr I told you so".

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Probably some truth to that. GMs don't want to give up on guys they drafted fairly high. It's not a Browns issue. It happens across the league. I think a certain segment of our population on this board are going to make this year hard to stomach.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
--I think we have too many fans that have turned on the team. Spite is a bad character trait.

So is denial and a false sense of reality.

I think your answer almost gives legitimacy to Vers outrageous claim which I think is 100% bullcrap.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Would be nice if he showed a little fire once in awhile.

Meh - it is what it is. As long as he's coaching well and we are winning and moving in the right direction, I couldn't really care too much about pressers. Bellichick is famous for his pressers - but we'd all be happy if he was out coach.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
BB in New England has been doing that since day one. He wins so no one complains.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep! That was my point.

L
Legend
Legend
L
KS says the phrase “he’s done (did) a nice job” six or seven times in a presser. Maybe I read too many transcripts of his PCs lol

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
So Schwartz had another bad game. Not gonna pile any more on him...everybody else seems to have that covered. But the good to come from it....He apologized to Brissett on the play where he was knocked off his route. Brissett talked him up...no in your face BS....Then Deshaun took him aside and started talking to him...this is what you do next time if that happens...Then it looks like Dobbs talking to him again going into the lockeroom. To me...regardless of what happens with Schwartz on cut day....it is a sign of leadership from the QB room. As well as a team focused, "we're in it together" attitude being shown.

Too many guys I liked in that game that may not be here after Tuesday. Jordan Kunaszyk...he is always around the ball and had a nice fumble recovery...And several of these receivers won't be here...Daylen Baldwin...I don't remember any catches yesterday...but he has made tough catches in the preseason this year. Javon Wims, made some spectacular catches, but not everything...like his size and 50/50 ability. Mike Harley, and Jamarcus Bradley have done a good job and have room to grow... The TE's after Njoku and Bryant....Forristall had such a bad day yesterday...so it was nice to see him make that great catch for a TD...and then the hyphenated crew...there is potential there...But that doesn't mean there is room...We have a plethora of DB's and I don't think we will be able to hide them on the PS...D'Anthony Bell better have made this team. He has been a demon in practice and made plays in every Preseason Game...two forced fumbles!!!And he looks to be a terror as a gunner in ST.

Perrion Winfrey had a better game...I saw several times where he took his man out of the play for the LB's(in other words he did his job well on the play...lol), saw some pressure...If Jolly didn't get that sack...Winfrey was right there to get it...He did have a couple plays where he was easily taken out...But not as bad as the first two games...and I think when he gets a bit stronger and continues to clean his technique...we might have something. He definitely has the drive to apply himself.

David Bell...is as advertised...I will take his type of player any day...get open...catch the ball...Very comfortable with him.

Cade York has a Howitzer for a leg...That pregame kick was ridiculous...and boy was he ticked after missing from 58...

Looks like Jerome Ford is safe...To me that says John Kelly...a guy I really like probably won't be here...unless we can get him on the PS...I also think that Felton...who we haven't been using in the backfield and we haven't seen a lot of passes go his way....could be in trouble...just because of the numbers.

OLine is going to be a tough call this year. I have to wonder if they may go with Alex Taylor instead. Drew Forbes has been doing a good job in the pass game at LG Froholdt...needs some work...but he did decently yesterday....is it automatically Michael Dunn and Blake Hance????

Curtis Weaver and Isaac Rochell both have looked well but do you see them getting on instead of Alex Wright and Isiah Thomas? What about Winovich...a somewhat unknown this preseason.

I tell you....Going to be VERY interesting the next couple of days seeing who made this team and who we pick up afterwards...who we are able to keep on PS...do we trade from one of our strengths???Exciting week ahead...lol

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend

There has not been a head coach, yet, that this hasn't been said about on here. I don't know what you were expecting, or thinking you were going to get, but canned answers and answers that say nothing is standard fare for EVERY head coach with more than one season under their belt.

There are simply questions they are not going to answer, but they're still expected to say something, so they give the canned answers to placate and give a sound bite.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Probably some truth to that. GMs don't want to give up on guys they drafted fairly high. It's not a Browns issue. It happens across the league. I think a certain segment of our population on this board are going to make this year hard to stomach.

I promise I won't do that to you Vers, we've already established DW is rapey as fact and he has been punished. I accept that and that he will be part of the Browns for the foreseeable future. But you can't throw a hissy fit or keep calling those who are not over it out in every other post, OR YOU ARE THE ONE THAT WILL BE RUINING IT FOR YOURSELF AND MANY OTHERS. You've already made PF unreadable with comments like this to people who are true fans but are pissed about the whole situation. So maybe reflect a little or something before game one. Pit should do the same because everyone else has a right to not be harassed for doing what we all come here to do and that's be Browns fans. Nobody has to root for DW, but at last count, there are 52 other players plus a practice squad on this team.

EDIT: To all, I also think KS and the FO, especially Haslam are not all that and a bag of chips. I loved Baker as our QB, but admit he wasn't the greatest by a long shot. However, I thought he could get it done even after those like Vers turned on him. He's gone now, so we'll never know. I'm still and always will be a fan of 6, will watch him with the panthers when I can, but I've been a Browns fan for 50+ years now, I don't see that changing. And should anyone decide to question my fandom, or get nasty because they don't like what I say, well they can kick rocks.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/28/22 09:27 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

There has not been a head coach, yet, that this hasn't been said about on here. I don't know what you were expecting, or thinking you were going to get, but canned answers and answers that say nothing is standard fare for EVERY head coach with more than one season under their belt.

There are simply questions they are not going to answer, but they're still expected to say something, so they give the canned answers to placate and give a sound bite.
Haha yeah exactly. Every coach has their default sayings and way to answer questions.

I think the most annoying we have had is either Shurmur or Hue when it comes to that.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nice post. That was an enjoyable read.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Froholdt...needs some work...but he did decently yesterday...

Hjalte Froholdt is going to be a starter in the NFL...I hope it's with the Browns..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
BB in New England has been doing that since day one. He wins so no one complains.

Lol ….yeah, and he learned that from being a head coach in Cleveland. Win and keep thy mouth on track or else.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
P
Legend
Legend
P
For those of you who were unable to watch the game because you live outside of Cleveland, it will be televised on the NFL Network today at 3:00 P.M. Eastern Time and 2:00 P.M Central Time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
For those of you who were unable to watch the game because you live outside of Cleveland, it will be televised on the NFL Network today at 3:00 P.M. Eastern Time and 2:00 P.M Central Time.
I’d suggest not watching the first half smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
P
Legend
Legend
P
I watched every down when the Browns went 0-16 in 2017. I highly doubt anything in a preseason game could duplicate that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I watched every down when the Browns went 0-16 in 2017. I highly doubt anything in a preseason game could duplicate that.
The sad thing is there were times during the 0-16 year that we played decent (for an 0-16 team lol). I actually wasn’t as downtrodden as one would think

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’d suggest not watching the first half smile

Just stick to the PeeWee Ball during Half Time to see the best play.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
The sad thing is there were times during the 0-16 year that we played decent (for an 0-16 team lol). I actually wasn’t as downtrodden as one would think

#webattled

(I actually agree though)

FATE #1965965 08/29/22 05:16 PM
Legend
Legend
“I have to take a look at the tape”

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
rofl

Legend
Legend
And then... "Again, I have to take a look at the tape”. Two questions later: "Again, I have to take a look at the tape”.

Just plead the 5th and call it a day lol.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Just watched the first half.

A couple things I noticed. Jordan Elliott played well. He held his ground and fought his way to the ball. He played stronger.

Njoku has grown to manhood. He is a bigger stronger guy than he used to be. Much improved in all aspects of his game. In a earlier thread I listed David as "Surprise player." He is going to show why he got that money.

Wills gave a good effort. He still can get beat on some moves but he mostly stuck his blocks.

Jacoby was good enough. The offense never got into a rhythm so he looked choppy.

The interior DL with Elliott and Brian was a welcome sight. Adding Myles and Clowney will make things much better.

Bell is as advertised. Gets open. Catches the ball.

I like Emerson. Hard nosed player.

Pre-season games have really turned into mostly junk. I don't think many conclusions can be drawn from the games. Especially with a veteran roster it has become a tryout for players to make the roster. Most will not so the play is not good. Very basic stuff.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was so aggravated from reading the GameDay thread the other night, I probably didn't even mention these two guys.

#49--Jolly and #37--Bell. Those two guys were making plays.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was so aggravated from reading the GameDay thread the other night, I probably didn't even mention these two guys.

#49--Jolly and #37--Bell. Those two guys were making plays.

Yes they did, I hope we can find a roster spot for both.

I know that Newsome has been used inside at NCB this training camp, but outside of him I think that Jolly looks to be very at home there too.

If you look back in the Archives you will find that I chose Jolly as a possible UDFA to make the final 53. It's still probably a long shot, but I would hate to see us let him get away.

Bell would be more of a surprise if he didn't make the final cuts at this point.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another player who caught my eye was 64 NT Roderick Perry, he kept the play bottled up and held his ground vs double teams allowing others to make plays vs the run. Would like to see him make our PS, with tempered excitement, because most of the players he was battling with where not starting OL men.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 08/29/22 08:24 PM. Reason: Addition

[Linked Image]

L
Legend
Legend
L
I liked some plays Bell made and that LB (51 or 52) was always around the ball. Don’t know if he’ll stick, maybe a STer?

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
And the receiver named Bell? He will be a QB’s best friend.

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Legend
Legend
P
I could have definitely searched for positive signs if that were my goal. I was trying to look at it from the perspective of an overview. It wasn't pleasant. But there were a lot of starters missing and I've never looked at the preseason as some indicator of the regular season.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Chicago Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard