V
Legend
Legend
V
Use purple. LOL

Legend
OP Online
Legend
He probably shouldn't bother suiting up.

I am sure stefanski will figure out a way to lose the game.

oh what a factory of sadness. we sure do suck.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by steve0255
Did I miss something, I was not debating your list. If anything, I'm not sure he's even a top 10 backup.

My definitive list of top ten backup QBs:

Jimmy Garoppolo
Gardner Minshew
Teddy Bridgewater
Taylor Heinicke
Andy Dalton
Jordan Love
Colt McCoy
Nick Foles
Jacoby Brissett
Joe Flacco

Remember this list is not up for debate.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Davis Mimms, Daniel Jones and Geno Smith should be on the backup QB list somewhere ... Just me ..... But I'm not the oracle

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My expectations are.

Hand off the ball cleanly to the RBs

Toss clean passes on a Screen.. Hitch.. Slant and Play Action.

He likes throwing a safer pass, Make it work, that's his game.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by steve0255
Did I miss something, I was not debating your list. If anything, I'm not sure he's even a top 10 backup.

Jimmy Garoppolo
Gardner Minshew
Teddy Bridgewater
Taylor Heinicke
Andy Dalton
Jordan Love
Colt McCoy
Nick Foles
Jacoby Brissett
Joe Flacco

I pity the foo that debates your rankings. ^ This man is the czar of QB rankings!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: cfrs15
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope you have an endless amount of time because trying to get Vers to admit he's wrong or putting out misinformation for his agenda IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN BRO. In his mind, he is infallible and superior to all of us fake browns fans.

And I'm sure he would say the same about me, except I am superior to him. wink I can only say this because he has me on ignore and like 5-10 posters would have to quote me in agreement just to get his attention.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/08/22 09:26 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Jimmy Garoppolo
Gardner Minshew
Teddy Bridgewater
Taylor Heinicke
Andy Dalton
Jordan Love
Colt McCoy
Nick Foles
Jacoby Brissett
Joe Flacco

I cannot argue with this list!

1 member likes this: cfrs15
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think Davis Mimms, Daniel Jones and Geno Smith should be on the backup QB list somewhere ... Just me ..... But I'm not the oracle

In this case it doesn’t matter what you think.

I also don’t know who Davis Mimms is, is that a combo between the Texans QB and the Jets WR?

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm pretty much anti-Brissett. Jacoby Brissetts' game?
I hope he gets waived. I hope he goes to play for the opponent the team that the team I'm rooting for is trying to beat.
I don't expect anything positive out of his game play, and you can never say never but I pretty much don't plan to ever root for Brissett.
I think he has a lot of the downside of someone like a Dishone Kizer with none of the upside.

I have a really low opinion of Daniel Jones (giants) so maybe Daniel Jones is not someone I'd put on the list of signal callers to rather have, but I hope Dobbs or Kepler? whoever the former Vikings coaches signed, funny how all of their @b's had a k in their name. frown:

I hope Brissett is waived and Dobbs plays, for a better chance for the Browns to win. I'll be rooting for the Browns as long as they aren't playing the Panthers, but in game one, I'll be rooting for the Panthers.
And really, why not?
The Browns have given me nothing to root for.
The Cleveland press has not even been properly negative, and wanted answers as to why when you had a significant team that took a long time to build, you cut your own legs out from under you and decided to install a bunch of also rans.

I don't expect anything good stats out of Brissett, I expect the word "Half" to be at the end of one of his 3 best drives of the day,
for instance.
punt
punt
punt
turnover
half
punt
punt
field goal
punt
turnover
end of game as a drive summary. ( The word Half, signaling the drive ends with the start of halftime, as one of his 3 best drives on the day.) It's all been seen before.

Why should anyone expect anything different. I mean, if there's one thing we can be pretty sure of of the people of this board, it's they've seen a lot of football. ( I mean if you are reading this you've probably seen a lot of football.)

Honestly. HONNNestly? do you expect any different?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I hope you have an endless amount of time because trying to get Vers to admit he's wrong or putting out misinformation for his agenda IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN BRO. In his mind, he is infallible and superior to all of us fake browns fans.

And I'm sure he would say the same about me, except I am superior to him. wink I can only say this because he has me on ignore and like 5-10 posters would have to quote me in agreement just to get his attention.

Actually, he is more fake than anyone on this forum. He's a rah rah guy that wants things his way and only his way. There are fans here that want a winning Browns team probably more than he does. The difference is some of us see cracks in the armor, acknowledge those cracks, and want to discuss what those cracks are going to mean to our team's season.

Afterall, there's a reason why the betting money in Vegas for the NFL team that's going to have the worst record this year includes Cleveland in the bottom 5. There's a reason why numerous sports writers have predicted the Browns will only win 6 games this year. There's a reason why Brissett has been pre-seasoned ranked as the 31st ranked QB against the planned starting QB's in the NFL this year. How he is rated above Trubisky is a head scratcher, but we'll see how that finally works out.

Like I said, he's posted no less than a dozen times that Brissett has taken less sacks than our previous QB and that's a lie when you look at the percentage of sacks per attempt, the stats prove it.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get all of that, but Vers will never admit that to anyone. And Watson aside, Vers knows football. At one time, he wasn't like this... Most of the bluster in here is the times we live in, this used to be a board where we were all like family.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/08/22 10:27 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by hitt
Don't agree. Valuing the ball is HUGE. JB values the ball- big asset. He's NEVER played with a line as POTENTIALLY as good as ours. His stats could be very good. Downside, the weather forecast is for RAIN- not good for any team. Game could EASILY be decided on turnovers. Hope we hold on best in ugly conditions....GO Browns!!!

Maybe so. Valuing the ball might also be a trait ingrained in a back-up QB. Just don't turn it over, just don't turn it over. I wonder how many times he has heard that from his QB coach? QB's who take that attitude also don't get many 1st downs, which to me is turning it over.

If I was Brissett, or the coach for that matter, it would be to go out and be a starting NFL QB and push the ball and not be so satisfied with hitting the swing back for a 2 yard gain on 3rd and 7. Brissett is our starting QB. I want him to play like one. Sure, you can lose games by getting picked. You can also lose games by not moving the ball.

No doubt there is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid but just go out and play the game with some confidence. If Brissett is looking over his shoulder because of Dobbs, then Berry picked the wrong guy to navigate us through this 11 game stretch. We have seen Charlie Frye ball.

My message to JB is to hit some windows and drop some dimes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
When I saw Minshew a few weeks ago, I remember wishing he was our QB instead of Brissett.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Jacoby Brissett in 2021:

🟤 70.9 PFF grade when under pressure

💥 BEST in the entire NFL

Interesting.

He shouldn't get a uniform. How does a guy like him stay in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As reported on the BrownsWire:

Brissett has almost everything you want in a quarterback: the size, the big arm, and a good grasp on how to play the position. There’s just one problem: His accuracy is horrendous. That may sound a little harsh, but I can’t think of a more appropriate word to describe it. Brissett just can’t get the ball to go where he wants it to. His poor aim and cavalier decision-making leads to some ugly interceptions, which makes it hard for any coaching staff to trust him.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't have you on ignore. I haven't been responding because I am sick of fighting w/you guys. First of all, I was not wrong. I stated an opinion and steve is not representing what I said accurately. I even re-posted my exact quote.

Furthermore, steve provided numbers w/out analysis. The sack numbers were inflated because JB played behind one of the worst OLs in the history of the NFL his first year in Indy. He took 52 sacks that year. It's the same OL that got Luck beat up so bad that he ended up retiring because his body and mind broke down. The Colts upgraded the OL and JB"s sacks went down to 27. That is close to half the sacks. He hasn't been sacked a ton in any of his other years, either. Baker has played behind one of the best OLs in football. Baker also holds the ball longer than JB.

Thus me stating an opinion that I think JB will take less sacks than Baker is not wrong. I even qualified that it might not play out that way. One thing for sure, I was not lying.

Now, I am going to ask again. Will you guys please leave me alone? I don't like either of you. You don't like me. You can go on and beat the drum for Baker and trash the Browns and I'll let it go. I just am sick of being called a liar when I have done no such thing. I am sick of being misquoted. I'm here to talk football and not play these petty little personality games.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Having been born in Cleveland a long time ago and moving away for most of my life.

I look at Cleveland in a different light than maybe I would if I lived there.

The Guardians having been in first place a lot of the year. The attendance 996k. That is pathetic for a team in first place.

The Braves have been in second place all year. The attendance 2.7 mil.

The Browns last season won 8 games with the 27th ranked QBR rating. The same team with some improvements and with a healthy JB playing 11 games and DW playing 6. And it appears most believe the team sucks and will win 6 to 8 games.

It is the water? The cloud cover? The cold? What is deal? Not enough sun?

Why is always doom and gloom? The team has not played a game. And JB sucks. The team sucks. Ownerships sucks. The coaching staff sucks.

Damn does everyone always see a half empty glass in Cleveland?

I guess it is me. I hate losing so I look for ways to have hopes of winning.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not as gloom and doom as others, bone. I think we have a good roster. I just don't think we can compete for a Super Bowl this year because the league has changed from the days when Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, etc can win Super Bowls. There are a lot of good qbs playing right now and many of them are in the AFC. That's why I agreed w/the Browns going after Watson. We need that type of QB to compete for a championship. Hopefully, the Browns will keep their best players and next year begins a long run of high-level seasons. We weren't going to win a chip w/Baker and we won't win one w/JB. But, we are legitimate contenders w/Watson.

With that said, I don't think this season is going to be as ugly as many are saying. I think the season will be similar to last year. We should win 8-10 games and I'll enjoy watchig this team fight.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It is not realistic to look at the Browns as a Super Bowl contender. I completely understand that.

However, there is no doubt that the team can have a winning season this year. That does not mean they will.

That is football.

I just don't get all the real negativity. I am ok with a winning season. Still something to get behind. Only one team wins it all.

Yes I agree you need a top notch qb. We could have drafted Josh Allen or Mahomes. We didn't and most thought both were to much of a project. We ended with Baker. He went as far as he could. I thank him for what he did accomplish. However, with this team and where we will be in the draft for years. There was no way we would get a crack at a top guy in the draft. We went after Wilson. It didn't work.

Taking the risk for Watson was a decision by Haslam for a chance to win a Super Bowl. I can not fault him for that. In the NFL it is about winning.

The AFC is stacked with great quarterbacks. Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson, Lamar, Burrow; Baker is not in that class. Watson is.

I can watch this year and be happy with team and there are many players I want to see.

I just don't get negativity of many.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we see the Browns and the role of qbs almost exactly alike.

I really don't care what others on here think. They can be negative if they like. It doesn't affect me. I just don't like when people make things up to start fights. Otherwise, all opinions are fine w/me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
Jacoby Brissett in 2021:

💥 BEST in the entire NFL

Interesting.

Jacoby Brisset 2021: the rest of the picture

5 TD, 4 INT -- in 11 games played
1283 yds, 5.4 ypc -- barely over 100 yds per game
54.3 QBR, 78.1 Passer Rating
19 Sacks in 224 drop backs (8.4%) ... 1 sack for every 67.5 yds of Passing

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
He is a backup.

That does not mean he can not win.

Legend
Legend
Absolutely correct.
I'm just giving the rest of the picture to give balance to the narrow view that he might be more than what he is based on the one stat of being good under pressure with a limited number snaps.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I am not lying about anything. I gave my opinion. I factor in things like time to throw, crumbling in a clean pocket, and abandoning a pocket before one has to.

How about we both give our opinions w/out all the fighting? Baker is gone.

You're the one who made the claim of Brissett taking less sacks and Baker taking a lot of sacks. That's not an "opinion". Maybe since you and a few others are the one's that keep bringing Baker up you guys should let it go? But I guess bringing the crap up and then blaming those who respond to it has become a trademark of yours. If you don't want to be called on it stop bringing it up. And stop making statements as facts and then saying it was just your opinion. Nobody is buying that BS. Or don't. But don't expect nobody to respond to you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Jacoby Brissett in 2021:

💥 BEST in the entire NFL

Interesting.

By being a back-up QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I should have used purple.

I don't get the moaning about JB. He is a backup.

He is the type of backup you look for. A steady hand with experience to get a team through some games. A veteran who has game experience.

All the rollout stats don't tell the whole story but that is the calling card of many.

Listing all the quarterbacks you would take over him. No **** Sherlock. Not aimed at anyone in particular.

"My god Jim he is a back-up."

C
Legend
Legend
C
Listing all the quarterbacks you would take over him. No **** Sherlock. Not aimed at anyone in particular.

Totally.

🤣

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the issue that comes into play more than anything else is when certain posters try to slant things and make false statements. As far as back-up QB's go he is a good option. But it is what it is. Back-up QB's are back-ups for a reason. Usually it's because there is something lacking in their skill set that would take away or limit your game plan. Taking away at least one facet of your game which would make it easier to defend. In Brissett's case it's the long ball and he's really not very mobile.

You don't need safties over the top to defend the long ball game. That allows you to pull them in to defend his strength which is the short pass. That by no means indicates you can't win some football games. It just means you lost a facet of your offensive game plan that would help loosen up the opposing defense. By having the ability to loosen up your opponents defense it not only helps you in the short passing game but the running game as well. And I do understand that presenting that on this board is often described by some as a doom and gloom scenario but it's actually not. It's just the reality of things when you lose the long passing threat.

Hopefully Brissett can connect on a couple of those to help keep Carolina's defense honest. That would help things a great deal.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I am willing to see what he can do.

He has a good team around him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I am willing to see what he and the coaching staff can do given his limited skill set. He has a body of work that shows what he can do as well as what he can't do.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

I also think he has a good scheme to work with. Stefanski's scheme is excellent. Very much like Shanny's in SF. Again, I don't think JB is a good qb, but I don't think this team is going to be as bad as many on this board are saying it will be.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Me too - he's the flipping QB of my Browns team for (hopefully) 11 games.

I just don't have high expectations. I don't have low expectations either ... I'm waiting and gonna see. He's got a helluva OL. He's got the best 1-2 RB combo in the NFL. He's got a better WR in Cooper than we've had in "forever" - the depth behind Cooper is beyond concerning, but it is what it is. And then Njoku and Bryant are at minimum capable - with potential to flash and create some uber mismatches. He's got Stefanski who I think has a very good scheme, although I am not as sold on KS (yet) as Kyle Shanahan and wouldn't put him in the same company like others do. . . . . there are a lot of positives. But imma wait and see.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
When a season begins you want to at least have some optimism.

There is plenty of time to feel like**** later.

Legend
Legend
When a season begins you want to at least have some optimism.

There is plenty of time to feel like**** later.

Ouch.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not wanting to get the thread off the rails, but for all the talk of optimism, the trouble is - the Browns signing a QB who is a serial sexual abuser according to at least the NFL and in all probability a Civil Court of Law sucked all that optimism out of me. Many might move past that quickly - good for them. Many didn't give a rats patootie in the first place - no problem if that's the way your moral compass rolls. But as a direct result of that decision - coupled with the easy to forecast lengthy suspension that was always going to come along - my optimism at the start of the season is at the lowest point since 1999. Just me. More than happy to be pleasantly surprised by a competent backup at QB and a fierce D that smoothers other teams.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
There are players on the Browns who I totally enjoy watching.

Myles has amazing talent. He is has a creature feature body and can do things like nobody else. He is going to eat Sunday.

Nick Chubb is a pleasure to watch run the ball. When he hits the go button it is like damn son.

JOK won the alpha dog of camp according to Woods. Cool dude who is a horse of a different color at linebacker. I can not recall a linebacker like him.

Bitonio is mountain man but Teller is just nasty. When he gets to the second level it is showtime. He destroys people.

Kareem Hunt reckless abandon. All around great player. He is all out at all times.

There is plenty for me to get into and enjoy. Hell I remember when Josh Cribbs was the only guy to watch. So, I am good.

2 members like this: mgh888, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
After reading that article about Myles and Baker in the other forum, I expect Myles to have a huge day on Sunday. In fact, I expect the entire defense to make a strong statement about the crap that went down the last couple of years.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I can understand how and why the Browns are being treated as a bastard step child.

However, I think many people especially the tv media that are wrapped up on emotion and are overlooking the talent of the roster.

We have five Pro Bowl players: Myles, Chubb, Ward, Teller and Bitonio. Conklin has been a pro bowl starter twice. Clowney was a pro bowl player three consecutive years. Hunt won a rushing title. Cooper has been to four pro bowls.

JOK is one of the best young players in the league. Kevin Stefanski did win Coach of the year in 2020.

This is not a bare bones roster.

To think the Browns are not capable of a winning season is just nuts to me.

But in many ways. I like it that that is how we are being perceived.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Read between the lines.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Jacoby

Link Copied to Clipboard