Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
Consider: Payback is a two-way street. Commercials and t-shirts are easier than football. I hope we pound Baker.

Unleash the Elf!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Read between the lines.

Reading between the lines -

Jacoby is a limited QB with limited skills - so instead of talking up his electrifying play on the field I am going to talk about character and how hard he works and what a nice person he is.

I'm sure that's what you meant - right? Or were you trying really hard to crow-bar yet one more slight and dig at the player no longer on the Browns who you claim to be neutral about but the world and his brother knows that somehow Baker eats away at your soul and you hate him with a passion? Hmmmm ? šŸ¤”

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Read between the lines.

Reading between the lines -

Jacoby is a limited QB with limited skills - so instead of talking up his electrifying play on the field I am going to talk about character and how hard he works and what a nice person he is.

I'm sure that's what you meant - right? Or were you trying really hard to crow-bar yet one more slight and dig at the player no longer on the Browns who you claim to be neutral about but the world and his brother knows that somehow Baker eats away at your soul and you hate him with a passion? Hmmmm ? šŸ¤”

Cut it out, he was just talking football!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
To clarify. I don't claim to be neutral about Baker. I can't stand the dude. I think he is a bad qb. I think he is immature. I think he's a fake. Those are not neutral stances. And I could care less if his fan club doesn't like it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah Fo Sho.

M
Legend
Legend
M
To clarify. I don't claim to be neutral about Baker. I can't stand the dude. I think he is a bad qb. I think he is immature. I think he's a fake. Those are not neutral stances. And I could care less if his fan club doesn't like it.

But, you are right............I do hope Baker can salvage his career. I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he has played well and I think he has acted immaturely. I dislike his biggest defenders FAR MORE than I do Baker.

I can't think of what the word is now - what is it Vers calls these contradictions?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not too hard to read between these lines. Hell, just read the lines.

Myles Garrett: Relationship with Baker Mayfield was ā€˜slightly complicatedā€™; rooting for him but ā€˜Iā€™ve got to take him outā€™

BEREA, Ohio ā€” Myles Garrett received a nice text from Baker Mayfield after he was traded to the Panthers, but decided not to respond.

ā€œHe said he appreciated the time we got to spend together and getting to know each other and growing together,ā€ Garrett told cleveland.com in a one-on-one interview last week. ā€œI really I didnā€™t say anything. I didnā€™t really have much to say and I didnā€™t know how reply to it, so I didnā€™t.ā€

Garrettā€™s non-response came after four years of ups and downs between the two that didnā€™t end on the best of notes. By that end of last season, both were ready to be playing for different teams and calling it a day. The two former No. 1 overall picks will meet on the field Sunday in Carolina, with Mayfield starting for the Panthers and Garrett trying to prevent him from getting the satisfaction of beating his former team.

ā€œI read (the text) but you know, there were some disagreements we had at a base level and Iā€™m not mad at the guy or feeling any way towards it, but I just didnā€™t know how to reply to that, so I didnā€™t,ā€ Garrett said. ā€œBut I still think heā€™s a hell of a competitor and heā€™s a great guy to have on your side and Iā€™m rooting for him. I think he has a great family, but heā€™s the opposition now, and at the end of the day, Iā€™ve got to take him out.ā€

Garrett didnā€™t mean that literally, of course, but did acknowledge a couple of weeks ago that if he can get a couple of sacks while putting his team in position to win, ā€œI would kind of enjoy that too.ā€

The disconnect between the two seemed to be there from the start, in part because of their different personalities and leadership styles. Mayfield, the No. 1 overall pick in 2018, was brash, vocal and gregarious. Garrett, the No. 1 overall pick in 2017, was relatively quiet and a bit of a loner at first who didnā€™t engage with his teammates as much as he has the past couple of years. It was perceived by some, including Mayfield, a source said, as a lack of strong leadership by the ultimate Alpha Dawg on defense.

It came to a head during Garrettā€™s helmet incident with Mason Rudolph in 2019 when Mayfield spoke out against Garrett on national TV., and the two had to work through it. It ramped up again last season when Garrett was upset about the departure of his close friend Odell Beckham Jr., and Mayfieldā€™s role in it. Garrett was vocal about the fact that Browns management didnā€™t consult with the players to get their input on the rift between QB1 and his star receiver.

As the season went along and the losses mounted, the chasm between Mayfield and Garrett widened to the point where Garrett felt something had to change for the 2022 season, whatever that might be. The Browns finished 8-9 and out of the playoffs despite star players such as Garrett, Denzel Ward and Nick Chubb being in the prime of their careers. Garrett set the bar extremely high for everyone in the organization last season ā€” at a championship level ā€” and spoke up if he saw something he didnā€™t like, whether it involved a teammate, coach or member of the front office.

Some players were also dismayed that Mayfield, suffering from a torn labrum in his left non-throwing shoulder since Week 2, took himself out of the season finale against the Bengals after consulting with his agent and members of his management team. Safety John Johnson III noted this week that he came back off of injury for that meaningless game to be there for his teammates, saying ā€œitā€™s just the characterā€ and surmising that perhaps Mayfield was just too banged up to go.

ā€œIt never is (easy),ā€ Garrett said of working alongside Mayfield over the years. ā€œWinning takes a lot. Itā€™s not going to be easy come, easy go. Except for one of the Warriors teams, but I think itā€™s always tough. Itā€™s always mentally straining.

ā€œGuys are going to say and do things that they wouldnā€™t normally do and theyā€™re going to listen and be receptive to things they havenā€™t normally done or have to do. So it was a slightly complicated relationship, but thatā€™s how it is each year. There are new guys coming in, old guys coming in and same thing. Some guys who just came are going out, but you have to keep that same standard and you have to bring that same intensity year to year.ā€

The relationship may never have been the same after the helmet incident, when Mayfield told Fox Sportsā€™ Erin Andrews on national television after the game that Garrettā€™s actions were ā€œinexcusableā€ and that he ā€œhurt this team.ā€

Former Browns defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, shown the video clip by fellow defensive lineman Olivier Vernon, made a beeline to Mayfield in the locker room and handled it according to old-school locker room rules.

ā€œI just said, ā€˜If you ever made a mistake, would you want your brothers who you look at every day, day in and day out to sit here and go against you and make you feel some type of way and like you canā€™t come back from it type deal?ā€™ā€ Richardson told cleveland.com last summer. ā€œI said, ā€˜Donā€™t let the media and the celebrity part of being a football player get in the way of being an actual brother to your teammates. Right, wrong or indifferent, if itā€™s a situation thatā€™s too bad for you to not comment on, youā€™re better off saying nothing at all.ā€™ā€

Mayfield approached Garrett a few days later and told him he wanted him back on the team after what proved to be a six-game suspension to close out the 2019 season.

ā€œHeā€™s proud to have me on this team and Iā€™m proud to have him as my quarterback on this team,ā€ Garrett told cleveland.com before last season.

Last week, Garrett reiterated that he did, indeed, let it go.

ā€œIā€™m not one to hold a grudge, so at the end of the day, it was about coming back in, earning the respect of my peers again and trying to get back to the plateau I was at and ascend higher,ā€ he said.

The two players pulled together in 2020 and presented a united front, leading their respective sides of the ball and guiding the Browns to their first playoff berth in 18 years and their first playoff victory in 26. A photo of them body-bumping in the air after the 48-37 wild-card victory over Pittsburgh captured the essence of the two No. 1 overall picks leading the Browns to success.

But it all unraveled last season, and there is no great love lost between the two.

Garrett even told cleveland.com that the Browns will use Mayfieldā€™s quote to NFL Networkā€™s Cynthia Frelund about his former team that ā€˜Iā€™m going to (expletive) them upā€ as motivation. Mayfield has denied saying it.

ā€œWeā€™ve known he has that type of demeanor and that attitude, and for better or for worse, it works for him,ā€ Garrett said. ā€œAnd Iā€™m not mad at him using that fire and that chip on his shoulder to help him play to the level he has. Heā€™s been successful in what heā€™s done.ā€™ā€™

Garrett watched Mayfield operate like that in their four years together, so he wasnā€™t surprised.

ā€œTalking like that and moving the way he does, itā€™s worked for him,ā€ he said. ā€œHe uses that for fire, for motivation and I think speaking like that helps amp him up.ā€

But, he noted, ā€œit does the same for us as well. Weā€™ll take it and weā€™ll use it, and hoping for a great matchup. I donā€™t think any less of him because heā€™s going out there and doing the same thing he did when he was with us. Heā€™s the same guy personally, and maybe weā€™ll see a different Baker when we get on the field. Who knows?ā€

But if they donā€™t embrace on the field after the game, it wonā€™t be a huge surprise.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...for-him-but-ive-got-to-take-him-out.html

Perhaps, Stefanski's words about Jacoby might make more sense now???

T
Legend
Legend
T
I am not as gloom and doom as others, bone. I think we have a good roster. I just don't think we can compete for a Super Bowl this year because the league has changed from the days when Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, etc can win Super Bowls. There are a lot of good qbs playing right now and many of them are in the AFC. That's why I agreed w/the Browns going after Watson. We need that type of QB to compete for a championship. Hopefully, the Browns will keep their best players and next year begins a long run of high-level seasons. We weren't going to win a chip w/Baker and we won't win one w/JB. But, we are legitimate contenders w/Watson.

With that said, I don't think this season is going to be as ugly as many are saying. I think the season will be similar to last year. We should win 8-10 games and I'll enjoy watchig this team fight.
Lucky for you, the broken Super Hero (Deshaun Watson) won't have to suit up, and thus won't have a chance to come back down to earth for another eleven games, so you can keep pretending he's in hall of fame mode.
But, I'll say,
If he's not even suiting up, is he anything. (Oh, he's a future something. OK, he's a future something.)

Always the Future, never the present (with the Browns) thus what is sold. (Not a pattern just a series of coincidences reoccurring over a long timeframe.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope Stefanskiā€™s decision-making (kick the early FG) improves.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I hope Stefanskiā€™s decision-making (kick the early FG) improves.

šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

P
Legend
Legend
P

No, the two have nothing to do with each other. If you take all of the editorializing out of the article you posted which try and translate things into something that Garrett never actually said, you have a big, fat nothing burger. You're creating lines that simply don't exist. And you are working very hard at it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

No, the two have nothing to do with each other. If you take all of the editorializing out of the article you posted which try and translate things into something that Garrett never actually said, you have a big, fat nothing burger. You're creating lines that simply don't exist. And you are working very hard at it.

It's all a well-conceived ploy to take all the questions and concerns about Brissett and Stefanski's play calling to try and focus it on Mayfield. He's spent 4-years trying his azz off to convince anyone he could that Mayfield was a bum and that the Browns would never win with him even though they did win. Now, the Browns with all their talent, are looking at a potential losing season (again) as he tries to defend the moves or lack thereof made by the Browns this off season. When those losses do start coming, I cannot wait for his excuse train to pull from the station. Though I hope the Browns win and win often - as a fan, I cannot ignore the weakness at WR, the ignoring of the worst DT group in the NFL, Brissett's limitations and Stefanski's vanilla questionable play calling that will kill the Browns anytime they fall behind. Stay tuned, that choo choo is a coming........

Last edited by steve0255; 09/10/22 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
R
Legend
Legend
R
The stupidity of the Baker Clan is bordering on astonishing.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The stupidity emotions of the Baker Clan is bordering on astonishing.

Fixed it for you. thumbsup We know you like to troll.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The title of this thread is "Expectations for Jacoby". When a person, for example me, says that they expect Jacoby Brissett to be terrible they are pessimistic or negative. Why create the thread if you are going to complain about any answer you don't like?

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The title is open for discussion.

I don't have a problem with your opinion. I welcome it. I don't agree but for sure I am not complaining.

He is a backup. Of course you are going to take starters over him. But IMO he is as good or better than other backups. He is better than Case.

Frankly, I like football discussion. I have my views I do not expect anyone to agree. I am just right and they are wrong. humor.

Believe me I have been wrong enough to know.

What I do not like is "everything sucks." It sucked before so it will always suck. I effing hate that attitude. I was there in 1964. I was also there for
1-31. So do have an idea about what is really bad and good.

I do not think this is a bad team. I also believe JB maybe able to operate with this team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The stupidity of the Baker Clan is bordering on astonishing.

I don't know if they are stupid, but they ruin thread after thread w/their constant personal attacks. It's okay to bring up Hue, Dorsey, OBJ......but don't bring up Baker. It's okay to trash every other facet of the Browns organization and team, but don't dare trash Baker. Hell, they freak if you post an article w/actual quotes from a guy like Myles Garrett. They are board bullies that try to control what is talked about and what isn't. Screw them!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have the same expectation I have for any professional athlete, namely to win. He gets paid to play, he needs to win. It isn't always going to happen, I understand the reality of that. I get he is not the best that ever were, but he was good enough to get a job in the NFL, that means go win. He doesn't have to do it alone, he is part of a team, but I still expect him to win.

Not saying I will call for him being cut if he doesn't, but as a supporter of the team I get salty when I believe a player isn't doing his best to earn his keep.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

What I do not like is "everything sucks." It sucked before so it will always suck. I effing hate that attitude.

I feel the same, not like I wake up every morning and say this day is going to suck. The day hasn't even started to see what happens.

It's the same as JB starting as a Brown. He has never started for the team he is on now so hopefully it starts off good to great !

A new situation in place, hopefully it's a good fit for all involved.

Would be nice to see a 2013 Philadelphia Eagles Nick Foles performance from JB. A one season kick butt performance !

He has a great backfield and good line to help him succeed.

I feel there will be happier fans after the game tomorrow then not !

A
Legend
Legend
A
Sadly, all you DO is trash Baker. Be it by name, or just subliminally. Hardly ANY of your posts are not bashing Baker.

You've also, in case you forgot, told us all, repeatedly how much better the Browns will be with Brisset at qb. And you've already started backing that down.

Look, you'll call me a Baker fan boy. The truth is, I am a BROWNS fan. But your constant bitching about Baker is sad.

You went away for a few years..........due to Baker. Your hatred of him oozes from almost every post you make. He's not on the team anymore. Get over it.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Nick Foles is a good example. There have been many backups that have done wonders.

Trent Green was the starter when he was injured and replaced by Kurt Warner. That worked out pretty good.

There have been other cases.

If a quarterback is on a NFL roster it is not by chance. There is competition. You have to be able to do some things.

Backups can throw the ball. If they could not they would not make a roster.

Josh Rosen can throw the ball and do it well. He is lacking in other areas but he can complete passes.

Dobbs has hardly played but he showed he can play. You can roll out all the stats you want but if you attended the practices you would see JB can throw the ball.

How well he plays for the Cleveland Browns we will get to see. For sure I am backing the guy and hoping he can win.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I could care less what others think of the Browns. I don't have high expectations for the team this year because I think you need a top-tier qb in today's NFL. We won't have that, but I think we are well-coached, have an excellent scheme, and a very good roster. If Watson was playing, we would be a legitimate Super Bowl threat. We will have him next year. JB isn't very good, but we won 8 games last year w/inferior qb play from our 3 qbs. I expect this team to win 8 to 10 games this year, but that is just an opinion. I'm going to root for the team just like I have done every year ever since I became a Browns fan decades ago. I'm not going to allow those who chose a player over a team to stop me from rooting for the team I love. Simple as that.

A
Legend
Legend
A
And, again, you can't help but dump on Baker, even though you didn't use his name. And you even tried to disguise it by saying "...inferior play from our 3 qbs..."

And, you've changed your tune of JB. he went from being "much better than Baker" to "JB isn't very good...."

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
And, again, you can't help but dump on Baker, even though you didn't use his name. And you even tried to disguise it by saying "...inferior play from our 3 qbs..."

And, you've changed your tune of JB. he went from being "much better than Baker" to "JB isn't very good...."

To be fair, we had inferior QB play last year. Baker was injured and that messed him up in more ways that it should, but he was horrible last year. Personally I had hoped he would get a redux this year so we could see if we got the previous better Baker or if he would be more pedestrian. We didn't get that chance, he's gone.

Hopefully Brissett is better than Baker turned out to be last year through the injury.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wonder why the refs allow posters to put lies in quotation marks?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I admit I haven't been the most optimistic guy on the board; I don't want to say negative I'd rather say I'm a realist, but our situation is what it is. Naturally, I'm hoping we do better than I think we will.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Anything is possible in the NFL, but tomorrow about 4-5 pm we'll have a much better idea of what we are getting this year. I expect a team that competes but falls short a lot. You and others think we'll click with a backup behind center. We shall see.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/10/22 07:47 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Anything is possible in the NFL, but tomorrow about 4-5 pm we'll have a much better idea of what we are getting this year.

My belief, is that it doesn't go by year , but by game day.

Look good or bad one day, then the next game day could show something different.

Good days bad days with a Back up is harder to determine than with a starter the team has had for several seasons.

Hope your doing well OCD !

O
Legend
Legend
O
Doing good, hope you are too.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Don't try to involve me in silly games.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I really believe all the negativity is going to rally the players and coaching staff. I think they will use it for motivation and it will galvanize their efforts. This is about pride, now! Look for the Browns to play hard all freaking year long and the haters can blank off.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Anything is possible in the NFL, but tomorrow about 4-5 pm we'll have a much better idea of what we are getting this year. I expect a team that competes but falls short a lot. You and others think we'll click with a backup behind center. We shall see.

I believe more in the team.

The Chubb train

Chubb is the engine..Hunt & Johnson are cars, Then the power Ford as the caboose !!

I just feel no defense could handle four RBs for four quarters just hammering away at them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't trying to involve you, but you quoted arch...who I have on ignore. I never once uttered what he put in quotation marks. I'm allowed to defend myself from lies.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And it continues.....

It's all a well-conceived ploy to take all the questions and concerns about Brissett and Stefanski's play calling to try and focus it on Mayfield.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really believe all the negativity is going to rally the players and coaching staff. I think they will use it for motivation and it will galvanize their efforts. This is about pride

I really do believe after hearing the players say earlier there is a new feeling in vibes that this might help get the team motivated to win off the start.

What the Team needs more is that they believe in themselves . I just have a feeling the team is going to play well and win. jmo ofc

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, you know sports well. You know that teams are always looking for a purpose, a cause, extra motivation. They don't like to say stuff in the media because it gets twisted, but we know that teams love embracing the "us against the world" mentality. I think this team has embraced that from everything I have heard. Even Chubb is talking about it and that dude doesn't talk much. I think the galvanization is only intensifying because so many of their own supposed fans are dogging them.

Now, all of that is just an opinion and I could be dead wrong. But, I doubt it.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I wonder why the refs allow posters to put lies in quotation marks?

Maybe because I didn't lie?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wasn't trying to involve you, but you quoted arch...who I have on ignore. I never once uttered what he put in quotation marks. I'm allowed to defend myself from lies.

Again, don't involve me in your silly games. He directly quoted you.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was talking about this:

"much better than Baker"

I never said that. I dare any of you to find that quote. I never said that. He is lying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
hard to talk football

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Jacoby

Link Copied to Clipboard