Do you triple-dog-dare us??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
hard to talk football

I agree. But 1 person doesn't, unless you agree with him. If you don't, he goes all grade school and calls you a liar.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I honestly don't care.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Brissett will go 18/25 for 215 yards 1 td 1 int

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
It should not be but often is.

Substance is match-ups, strengths and weakness, game plans, things to watch for.

What we end with is emotional crap and things that are no longer relevant.

E
Legend
Legend
E
From what I read about JB and confirmed by the limited view from ONE PRESEASON Game point blank he just is not accurate. Even his completions are passes that the WRs have to make a play on them.

One thing about this claim on holding onto the ball and showing his average time from snap to release. You have to remember our passing game is predicated on play action pass. This was told to us from the beginning and it was exactly how our O operated. Go time the average Play action pass from snap to release. Especially when there is a boot leg involved. Put things in perspective thats all.

Our defense will define our outcome for this game and probably the season. We will have to tire out our opponents defense with first downs via runs or West Coast passing game.
jmho

Hopefully JB will be good at executing screens.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: mgh888
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Run the ball keep rotating our backs and wear the opponents D down. Mix in the short and medium range passes. Send AS deep once in a while to loosen the D.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by eotab
From what I read about JB and confirmed by the limited view from ONE PRESEASON Game point blank he just is not accurate. Even his completions are passes that the WRs have to make a play on them.

One thing about this claim on holding onto the ball and showing his average time from snap to release. You have to remember our passing game is predicated on play action pass. This was told to us from the beginning and it was exactly how our O operated. Go time the average Play action pass from snap to release. Especially when there is a boot leg involved. Put things in perspective thats all.

Our defense will define our outcome for this game and probably the season. We will have to tire out our opponents defense with first downs via runs or West Coast passing game.
jmho

Hopefully JB will be good at executing screens.

Accuracy is a huge issue and has been before the Browns even signed him. There's no question he has a strong arm but getting the pass to the receiver where it's catchable is an issue. I fully expect the Panthers will go all out to stop the run. Their game plan will surely be to make Brissett beat them through the air. Stopping the run will eliminate the play action and force Brissett into a standard passing game. Offensively, that will put the game on the shoulders of the WR's and TE's to not only get open but to make the difficult catch if Brissett's passes are inaccurate per his history. If Brissett becomes uncomfortable, sacks will come into play with his moments of indecision. If the mid-range passing becomes successful, Chubb and Hunt will become huge factors in the Browns success because the Panthers will have to adjust to play honest.

Brissett needs to be better than 60% completion rate with over 225 yds for the Browns to be successful today. Scoring less than 20 points today spells trouble for the Browns. Falling behind early spells even bigger problems. If Brissett can come out hot and force the Panthers to change their defense, then I like our chances. If he's inaccurate early, it will be a very long day. Of course, all this hinges on Stefanski adjusting his game plan if needed and I'm really not comfortable with him changing his stripes but I hope he proves me wrong.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Manage the game. That's all we need. Run the ball, throw in some play action, a couple of deep shots here or there.. and let the defense frustrate Baker so he makes mistakes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Games are close in the NFL. We won 8 games last season with an injured quarterback who was ranked 27th in QBR.

We do not need to do more than get the quarterback play up to average.

We have a better kicker who should help.

We should be better at having less penalties which was a camp emphasis.

The other thing that was highlighted in camp is "get more turnovers."

Small steps equal better results in close games.

Jacoby can be efficient. That is what we need. He is not the guy to lift a team and carry a team.

We have to rely on our strengths. Play good defense. Use the run game and OL. Don't turn it over. Get more turnovers and don't get penalities.

Play sound football.

It will not always go our way against explosive teams. But we should beat teams like the Panthers and many others.

2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, Versatile Dog
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you lost a lot of people when you created a list of QBs that you'd rather have, and they were all starters in the league. Jacoby is a backup... I think everyone would rather have the starter playing instead of the backup. If that's the whole point you were trying to make...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I could care less what others think of the Browns. I don't have high expectations for the team this year because I think you need a top-tier qb in today's NFL. We won't have that, but I think we are well-coached, have an excellent scheme, and a very good roster. If Watson was playing, we would be a legitimate Super Bowl threat. We will have him next year. JB isn't very good, but we won 8 games last year w/inferior qb play from our 3 qbs. I expect this team to win 8 to 10 games this year, but that is just an opinion. I'm going to root for the team just like I have done every year ever since I became a Browns fan decades ago. I'm not going to allow those who chose a player over a team to stop me from rooting for the team I love. Simple as that.

I expect Case Keenums efforts last year to be superior to Brissetts efforts this year. But who knows, it's start the season time.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think many have a good grasp on what the Browns need to do. Brissett isn't going to win you many if any games. The best hope is he doesn't cost you games. The best the Browns can hope to do is focus on the run and short pass on O. The defense will have to step up and keep the opponents from hanging many points on the board to stay in a lot of games.

IMO the saving grace may very well be Cade York. If the above scenario can be played out a lot of Browns games will be close scores. I don't think a lot of fans understand just how many NFL games are decided by three points or less. A consistent York could easily be the difference in three or four wins.

Brissett has been in the NFL since 2016. He is what he is. Which is exactly the reason most fans on this board have focused on the need for every other portion of the team to step up and compensate. There's not much left to be said as it pertains to Brissett.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
My expectations were low but. . .

Legend
Legend
3-3 tie? crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
There was talk about who might take more sacks and throw more picks. After week one:

Jacoby: 0 picks, 1 sack.

Baker: 1 pick, 4 sacks.

L
Legend
Legend
L
To be fair, mayfield faced much more pressure than Jacoby.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
To be fair, Jacoby played behind terrible OLs that skewed the numbers that a couple of posters used to skew things. He played behind the line that forced Luck into retirement. Read through the thread and see the hostility that was focused on me for giving an opinion that I thought JB would throw fewer picks and take less needless sacks than Baker.

That's my last comment on the subject tonight.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by lampdogg

No kidding !! LOL - I just read a post game criticism of him that he took some sacks ! Meanwhile watching the game I saw a minimum of 2 sacks where MG was untouched as he ran by the rookie LT and about the same time as his third or 4th drop back step.

I'm really encouraged by the Defense - Jacoby doesn't have to do much at all and we will win games with him before week 12. Hopefully we'll be in contention.

* Edit - went to look for "time to throw" stats because it looked like BM had to throw uber quick due to the pressure, I think the stats show how quickly he was forced to throw all day:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

We might have blitzed some - but we got a lot of pressure with 4 most of the day, really encouraging.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/11/22 08:26 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
It did help that MG was feeding their new LT his lunch

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg

He's not interested in being fair to Baker in any way, shape, or form.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
From what I saw today....I'm awfully glad we didn't give BM a fat long term contract. Those multiple batted balls per game are gone.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
I expect/ expected the Chicago Bears starting @uarterback to look better or play better than Brissett, I dunno, the Bears won today I didn't see the game.
If Brissett wants to impress, 3 things could be the focus.
I. The percentage of not completed passes to total pass attempts.
2. Making Demetric Felton look like a more useable wr.
3. The same with DPJ, if DPJ, and Demetric Felton (because they are not rookies) if DPJ and Demetric Felton both become more useable and more reliable WR's as #2 and #3 options after Cooper
then your offense,
this re-built offense could take steps forward. (Because then you'd have 2nd year guys, (ish), along with the rookies Bell and Woods II, to supplement the other WR's Cooper and, Schwartz.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, we are 1 and 0.

JB is a backup. A good backup qb, but still a backup.

We won our home opener for the first time since 2004.

We won a game on the road despite high humidity and even more importantly.......a high dew point. Research it if you are confused.

We will have Watson---one of the very best qbs in the entire NFL---back in game 12 --17.

Is winning 8-10 games as crazy as it sounded just last week?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think JB is a good backup QB at all. I'd rather see Dobbs in the next ten games. All BS about our differences on BM aside, I think Brissett will cost a game or three this season. We won today despite him and Ski IMHO. Cade York saved the day today and deserves all the credit.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know your question wasn't directed at me. But 8-10 was never crazy as it sounded. There was always a good chance with the talent we have on the team.

As a side note, I do want to remind everyone Joshua Dobbs was drafted by the Steelers. He was with them from 2017 till 2020, then traded to the Jags. The Steelers picked him back up in 2021. He became a free agent in April. Why am I saying this = The Steelers knew Big Ben was retiring, they brought in Trubisky (signed in Mar), kept Rudolph (who they had in front of Dobbs), tendered Haskins, then drafted Pickett (which was after Dobbs becoming a free agent). They chose those three over Dobbs.

Speaking only about QB position, if they thought Dobbs could be their starting QB or bridge QB, don't you think they would've kept him over signing Trubisky or keeping Mason Rudolph?

I just want to give some perspective. Before everyone starts calling for the backup (which i see it already happening, lol)

I’m not saying he’s terrible, maybe Dobbs will ball out. But (IMO) lets at least give Brisett some time. Don't get me wrong, those couple of deep balls to a wide open Cooper and Hunt was rough to watch. But once you go with the backup, then there are repercussions to go back to the original starter if the backup doesn't work out.

2 members like this: oobernoober, Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Now that Baker Mayfield week is over, my vote is all the talk about Baker would do this or wouldn't do that needs to stop. We can pick it up again the next time we play Carolina or whatever team he might be a member.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see Brissett as an average backup, not a food backup. I was at the game and Brissett is slow reading the play as it develops, once he makes a decision his release is slow, and he doesn't have a lot of zip on the ball.

But to be fait to him, the majority of the 1st team snaps went to Watson in training camp and the majority of the preseason game snaps went to Dobbs. Why would we expect Brissett to be game ready vs the Panthers.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I hope it's just the lack of pre-season work which is typical these days, making game 1 like the first real action any of these guys see, Brissett just sucks (18/34 147 1TD), we will not win against good teams with him.

KS, still bewilders me, having Brissett pass incomplete after incomplete, doing sweeps, -5 yard screens, just run the damn ball.

Brissett almost never even looked Coopers way on plays, he locked on to a target at snap and that was it.

Cade York, love this kid. My buddy was like "58 yards, he ain't gunna make that", I said "watch", and boom, he got it, with plenty to spare.

We still leave the middle of the field open too often, it's going to bite us often.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. The last thing this team needs is for the clueless fans and media members to drum up a QB controversy. Let the coaches coach. We have a very good group of coaches. They clearly outcoached Carolina's coaches yesterday.

Legend
Legend
I felt like we were certainly very prepared (defensively) for Carolina going into the game … we bottled them up for the better part of the 1st half and Baker looked as bad as he could look. Our coaches certainly gave us the best chance to grab an early lead

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hell, the Panthers barely involved McCaffrey at all. He was invisible in the first half. They didn't even try to get their best WR involved for most of the game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
They clearly outcoached Carolina's coaches yesterday.

I agree with this, and this has been one of my biggest gripes. They did a great job yesterday.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Hell, the Panthers barely involved McCaffrey at all. He was invisible in the first half. They didn't even try to get their best WR involved for most of the game.

This was baffling to me.

I think Rhule might have bought into Baker and wanted ro show him off, especially against his old team.

Every time CMC touched the ball he was electric, and he barely touched the ball.

Legend
Legend
Lol bad decision by Rhule if that’s the case. We’ve seen for 3 years that trying to have Baker be the emphasis is a recipe for disaster.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure if it was Ruhle. McAdoo is their OC. Regardless of who was responsible, your point is correct.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I do want to add this to be fair. I think both teams passed more than they wanted to because both defenses clearly were doing all they could to stop the run and force inferior qbs to beat them, but still...........we at least ran Chubb and Hunt a lot more than Carolina did w/their backs.

We ran it 39 times. They ran it 19 times.

Some other stats: We possessed the ball for 38 m and 26 seconds. They possessed it for 21 m and 34 seconds.

We outgained them. 355 yards to 261.

They turned it over once. We did not turn the ball over.

We sacked them 4 times and they sacked us once.

We were penalized for 71 yards. They had 96 yards in penalties.

We pretty much dominated the game. Two coverage miscommunications late in the game were killers, but the team overcame that and our rookie kicker absolutely drilled a long kick to win the game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Not sure if it was Ruhle. McAdoo is their OC. Regardless of who was responsible, your point is correct.

Their other option is Darnold, so did they really have an option? At worst, they had to find out what they have in Baker in real time versus what they saw from Darnold last year.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you misunderstood me.

Darnold in on IR. He's not even available. But, I wasn't talking about which qb to play. I was talking about relying on Baker to carry the offense instead of McCaffrey. They came out of the gate throwing the ball and ignoring McCaffrey.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Jacoby

Link Copied to Clipboard