Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
R
Legend
Legend
R
The blown coverage in the first half to the TE also lead to a TD right before the half. Take that one and the one to Anderson away and the Panthers might not have scored a TD at all.

It's frustrating and maddening because the only way this team is going to be good this year is if the defense is dominating.

I'm a little miffed with Myles on the Anderson TD. I feel like he was taking the play off. He chose to rush into three defenders into the interior of the line instead of rushing around the tackle and keeping Baker in the pocket i.e., choose to get stonewalled instead of being explosive around the edge. Baker moved to the area vacated by Myles and threw the TD. I feel like Myles was just going through the motions on that play likely because he was tired. I've never seen a more supreme physical specimen suck wind at the rate he does. I know he has asthma and all, but he's usually sucking wind after the first play of the game.

Legend
Legend
I’d have to be in the defensive room, but I’d bet Delpit was the reason for the secondary lapse(s). Both times it seemed he got caught flat footed peaking into the backfield.

In terms of Vers’ point about time of possession, yards gained, etc … we definitely outplayed and outcoached them. Had they won the game it would have been a dagger. Hopefully it propels us now as Brissett gets a little more at ease.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Hell, the Panthers barely involved McCaffrey at all. He was invisible in the first half. They didn't even try to get their best WR involved for most of the game.

This was baffling to me.

I think Rhule might have bought into Baker and wanted ro show him off, especially against his old team.

Every time CMC touched the ball he was electric, and he barely touched the ball.

It's stuff like this why Rhule might be looking for a job by the end of the season.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Delpit definitely looked flat-footed and slow to react several times. Heck, even his interception was only due to a horrible throw that was far off the mark. On the other hand, I think JJ left his zone and sprinted forward to take the TE [I think he was a TE] in the intermediate boundary. Looked like Newsome was expecting deep help in the middle.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Hell, the Panthers barely involved McCaffrey at all. He was invisible in the first half. They didn't even try to get their best WR involved for most of the game.

This was baffling to me.

I think Rhule might have bought into Baker and wanted ro show him off, especially against his old team.

Every time CMC touched the ball he was electric, and he barely touched the ball.

It's stuff like this why Rhule might be looking for a job by the end of the season.

Maybe they wanted to ease CMC back into playing? He's missed a ton of games the last 2 years. I do not know, just speculating.

If his rationale behind minimizing CMC's touches was "Baker is more motivated with a chip on his shoulder" then he should be held accountable. The offense should run through CMC when he is able. I think Baker is always motivated, not just for revenge games.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That’s probably the case. Let’s hope they can sure up those instances because they’ve been very costly.

You mentioned the terrible throw by Baker on the INT. I kind of chuckled that it was the exact type of throw that we’ve seen him make here.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
The blown coverage in the first half to the TE also lead to a TD right before the half. Take that one and the one to Anderson away and the Panthers might not have scored a TD at all.

It's frustrating and maddening because the only way this team is going to be good this year is if the defense is dominating.

I'm a little miffed with Myles on the Anderson TD. I feel like he was taking the play off. He chose to rush into three defenders into the interior of the line instead of rushing around the tackle and keeping Baker in the pocket i.e., choose to get stonewalled instead of being explosive around the edge. Baker moved to the area vacated by Myles and threw the TD. I feel like Myles was just going through the motions on that play likely because he was tired. I've never seen a more supreme physical specimen suck wind at the rate he does. I know he has asthma and all, but he's usually sucking wind after the first play of the game.
This has always been my issue with Myles, dude should dominate 4 quarters consistently but theres alot of times he seems content to just go through the motions, almost as if he's bored.. I don't think he has that fire that some of the greats to.. He's successful because he is so talented and can dominate when he chooses to, problem is he doesn't choose to that often. He Goes through spurts . Some of it yesterday could have been having some time off during camp for his personal stuff. Also not having any live game reps before yesterday due to camp cupcake. I think they should have given both he and Clowney time over the rookie LT yesterday.. That intensity is what keeps him from being ahead TJ Watt imo. I think Watt is the better overall player and he's def. more impactful, but I don't think theres anyone else above Garrett as an edge rusher..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I think he (and the coaching staff/analytic dept) certainly preserve his usage and energy. I’ve noticed that if we have a two score lead he’s off the field more. Or if there are 7 minutes left and they have the ball, he’ll be on the sidelines preserving himself for their FINAL drive.

In basketball terms, Steph Curry does the same thing each 4th quarter. He sits WAY longer than other stars into the 4th, no matter what the score is or what their circumstances.

JMO

O
Legend
Legend
O

This was baffling to me.

They were trailing pretty much all game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Bull_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
This has always been my issue with Myles, dude should dominate 4 quarters consistently but theres alot of times he seems content to just go through the motions, almost as if he's bored..

Aaron Donald is arguably the best player in the NFL on either side of the football - certainly the differential between him and the next best at his position is gigantic. Even Donald doesn't dominate the play on every snap for 4 quarters. I think expectations have to be realisitic.

I agree with Rish - MG dived inside and into 3 OL on the Anderson TD... whether that was the design of the play or if that was MG having a bad play IDK. But I thought MG played a hell of a game, I wouldn't swap him for any other DE.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober

This was baffling to me.

They were trailing pretty much all game.

The Panthers had one drive that took 8 plays in the first half. The rest were 4 or 5 plays including punts/turn overs (3 and outs or nearly so.)

CMC's first touch went for -5 yards. Otherwise he had a couple of 4 yard runs early in the game. He averaged 3.3 ypc. They couldn't get anything going. It's hard to give a guy touches when the defense is on the field. Throw in the snap troubles and there are some more busted plays where it's hard to get the ball to anybody in particular. It's hard to know what their plan was.

Outside of the busts, we had their number, and they kept shooting themselves in the foot as well. It looked like a week one game. Both teams have a lot to clean up. It was nice to get the W while working into the flow.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I really don't understand how Myles gets criticized. No one player gets a sack and/or pressure every play of the game. Carolina was lining up a TE over on his side and chipping him all game long. So, Myles was having to beat two guys or more most of the game. That opens things up for other guys.

Legend
Legend

" on 25 of the runs, they averaged 2.4 yards per carry."

- Butch Davis on Jamal Lewis' 295 yard, 30 carry day against the Browns on 15 Sept 2003

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

" on 25 of the runs, they averaged 2.4 yards per carry."

- Butch Davis on Jamal Lewis' 295 yard, 30 carry day against the Browns on 15 Sept 2003

Yep. I have long said that Barry Sanders wasn't all that impressive if you took away that 70 yarder and 30 yarder. Take those away and he only gained 40 yards.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
j/c:

I really don't understand how Myles gets criticized. No one player gets a sack and/or pressure every play of the game. Carolina was lining up a TE over on his side and chipping him all game long. So, Myles was having to beat two guys or more most of the game. That opens things up for other guys.

I am overly critical by nature.

That means when I praise, watch out!

1 member likes this: oobernoober
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c:

I'll tell you why I am critical:

He is not good against the run and is way too willing to sell out for the pass rush;

He disappears late in games and late in the year;

He lines up offside like a rookie (not yesterday thankfully);

He gets "his" sack and coasts. Last year he had exactly (1) game with more than 1.5 sacks...(1) game and against the Bears...(5) games with (0) sacks...(3) straight (0) sack games in weeks 14, 15, & 16 during the playoff push;

His overall play is quite good...but not DPOY level that we are told every year. He gets held like crazy...he rarely makes a play to snuff out the other teams mojo or to get the D off the field.

JMO

R
Legend
Legend
R
No context? No what ifs? No blaming someone or something else? No defending the team's best player? Just straight criticism.

Interesting.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c:

I'll tell you why I am critical:

He is not good against the run and is way too willing to sell out for the pass rush;

He disappears late in games and late in the year;

He lines up offside like a rookie (not yesterday thankfully);

He gets "his" sack and coasts. Last year he had exactly (1) game with more than 1.5 sacks...(1) game and against the Bears...(5) games with (0) sacks...(3) straight (0) sack games in weeks 14, 15, & 16 during the playoff push;

His overall play is quite good...but not DPOY level that we are told every year. He gets held like crazy...he rarely makes a play to snuff out the other teams mojo or to get the D off the field.

JMO

He did play last 5 games last year with a pulled groin muscle. He was a gamer to be out there trying to help his team win.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Tough for me to be critical of Garrett. He’s improved, he’s a leader, he’s a game changer, etc.

If we’re going back to 1999, if we’re looking at our best players he’s in the top 3 with Thomas and chubb.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Cowherd just called him the best defensive player in the league.

Legend
Legend
it’s between him, Watt, or Donald .. and i can’t argue against Cowherd there

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Those three plus Parsons. I'm not sure there is a close fifth.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Watt is hurt and has played with an elite supporting cast for a while - MG has not.
Donald I still think is probably at the top but plays a different position - but he has past the peak of his career - MG is still ascending.

It was one game against a newly put together OL and a rookie LT who is a better run blocker than pass protector. While I thought he looked like a beast - I'd like to see the same level for a few weeks before crowning him.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/12/22 02:49 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L

Those three plus Parsons. I'm not sure there is a close fifth.

For me its Donald, Watt, Garrett, Parsons. Parsons for his size gets to QB a crazy high amount. He was in Brady's head last night... to bad dallas is still dallas, I would LOVE parsons over any one of our linebackers. Thats the exact kind of guy we are missing there.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t know how it happened but the Jacoby Brossett thread turned into a Myles Garrett thread. I don’t mind that because Brissett is terrible. Anyway, this seems relevant:

V
Legend
Legend
V
Myles Garrett earns the highest PFF grade of any player in Week 1

Jeff Risdon
September 12, 2022 1:12 pm ET

Myles Garrett had himself quite a Sunday afternoon in Charlotte. The Browns defensive end was all over the stat sheet against the Panthers in Cleveland’s thrilling win:

Two sacks, four tackles, three TFLs, one forced fumble, one pass defender, six QB hurries of former teammate Baker Mayfield.

Garrett’s impact on the game was undeniable. The film grade reinforces just how awesome Garrett was against the Panthers. No. 95 registered the single highest overall game grade of any NFL player in Week 1 (pending Monday Night Football) from Pro Football Focus.

PFF graded Garrett with a 94.4 grade for the game. That tops veteran EDGE Jerry Hughes, who logged an impressive 93.6 game grade in his debut with the Houston Texans. Much of Garrett’s success came at the expense of the Panthers’ first-round rookie tackle, Ikem Ekwonu, who was on the hook for both of Garrett’s sacks. The overall grade would have been even higher if not for a charted missed tackle on Garrett.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/12/myles-garrett-earns-highest-pff-grade-week-1/

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No context? No what ifs? No blaming someone or something else? No defending the team's best player? Just straight criticism.

Interesting.

That...and absolutely no rebuttal from what I stated.

More interesting.

Legend
Legend
it's gonna be hard for jacoby to follow this up with an even poorer performance against the jets, but i'm not confident in saying that. first game of the season was very tough to watch. But he did make some good throws, including throws that got us in position to score. hoping we call more PA, and want to see him get the TE's involved early. if our defense (clean it up) and run game keeps it up, jacoby will be good enough to keep us in the playoff hunt.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Our best offense might in fact be to run, run, run and then PA pass it deep and hope for 2 big DPI penalties a game. And I’m only 25% joking.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Why I would rebut it when I agree with it?

The part that is interesting is that you aren't balanced in your praise and criticism of players. If you like.the player you skip the bad stuff.

I find it interesting how many people Baker gets on his side. Some dude named Conor Orr wrote an article for SI today completely absolving Baker for being Baker. I read it and thought to myself that Baker's ability to create and continously add members to the Baker Bros is impressive. It's beyond impressive actually.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Connor Orr is Baker's nom de plume.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
M
Legend
Legend
M
Why I would rebut it when I agree with it?

The part that is interesting is that you aren't balanced in your praise and criticism of players. If you like.the player you skip the bad stuff.

I find it interesting how many people Baker gets on his side. Some dude named Conor Orr wrote an article for SI today completely absolving Baker for being Baker. I read it and thought to myself that Baker's ability to create and continously add members to the Baker Bros is impressive. It's beyond impressive actually.

Charlotte Radio Media already doing it too man. Listened today about the terrible play calling in the first half and how 4 run plays and 21 pass calls was awful and the main reason for the loss - they did mention Baker started poorly but they also said he led the team to a lead with less than 1:30 left in the game and it wasn't his fault that the team didn't win ! Crazy thinking - I know a few Browns fans who would definitely blame Baker for not holding on to a lead and allowing the refs to blow calls in a loss like that. In fact I've read it on this board more than once!

Last edited by mgh888; 09/12/22 06:58 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's someone else's problem now.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I do hope Jacoby can develop some chemistry with the WR corps, and Njoku as well. By the way, did Bell play yesterday?

The WR, not the other Bell.

Last edited by lampdogg; 09/12/22 07:33 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I hope so too because if JB doesn't, we may have a full blown QB controversy. Only in Cleveland could there be a QB controversy between a 2nd and 3rd stringer and possibly a 4th with Josh Rosen. LOL!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Bell played 22 snaps. 1 less than Schwartz. I don't believe he was targeted.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought you did not watch the game? There is no qb controversy. We won our opener for the first time since 2004. JB led us to a game-winning score. Yes, he threw some ugly, ugly passes. However, he did not turn it over as opposed to the other qb. Took only one sack instead of four on the other side.. Didn't have 4-5 passes batted down. Didn't fumble the snap multiple times which led to the other team being behind the chains. We won on the road in a game in which we were not favored. I get that you guys are into the doom and gloom and are upset about Baker, but maybe you can please let Browns fans enjoy a win for a week?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 09/13/22 08:03 AM.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Ok thanks. I watched the whole game -sober - and didn’t notice him once.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers I said it as a joke. We need to stick with JB so he can get some chemistry with our receivers. Basically, because JB didn't play much in preseason he's learning on the fly with our receivers. And I am enjoying this win. First time since 2004 that I've been able to after 1 game!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/13/22 07:36 PM.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Jacoby

Link Copied to Clipboard