Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Some other news while I was trying to find details on Winfrey.

Conklin returned to practice today after not practicing on Thursday. He may play Sunday.

Hubbard will not play Sunday.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Garrett was the highest rated player in the NFL in week 1. Have you lost your mind?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I have no problem bashing players that deserve it, Myles doesn't deserve it. He is one of the best players in the Nfl, yet you still bash him. I swear some of you guys would have bashed Jim Brown and Otto Graham.

I agree with you 100%. Some people think everything a player does shows up on a stat sheet. It doesn't. When he came into the league he had a problem maintaining discipline on outside containment. That often happens with young players who are single minded in focusing on just attacking the football. What we saw resulted on end around runs and quick outlet passes in the area he should have been attending to. That hurt the team. He has grown and matured since then. Maintaining outside containment will often keep you away from getting sacks and pressures but on many plays that's your responsibility.

What it will do is alter your opponents ability to attack that area of the field with any measure of success. That doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The only ones trashing him are spiteful Baker fans, including one who said that Baker was the best qb in the NFL since Joe Montana.

Even when nobody else is talking about Baker, you just can't seem to keep his name out of your mouth. And absolutely nobody is surprised by that. You love to try and stir the pot then you and a few of your minions blame everyone else for what you start. You're hilarious.

Gods honest truth. Even posted a tweet from nearly a week ago trying to drag Baker into the MG discussion.... and by Ver's own standards he's lying (again) because there is only one person criticizing MG - and he isn't trashing Garrett, he's saying he'd like to see MG light it up at the end of games which we've lost like Donald and TJ Watt..... the fact the WSU is talking about MG and comparing him to Watt and Donald is evidence enough there is no "trashing". But oh well.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I agree about the clutch plays part with Myles, but you Ioved the last guy who talked too much and didn't perform in the 4th quarter so why the double standard with Myles?

Well..."the other guy" isn't here anymore...I haven't posted about him in a loooong time. On the rare occasion that I mentioned "the other guy" starting towards the end of last year I regularly stated "warts and all"...or something along the lines of "in spite of his issues going through progressions". I'm not sure how what I thought of "the other guy" (who has been long gone) has anything to do with what I've always said about a current guy...who just keeps proving me correct.

FWIW...I love Myles Garrett...he's a good player and a good guy....he's just NOT the player that he's blown up to be. No impact plays during a Q4 comeback of 17 points against a bad team and a rookie LT...I bring that up and I'm the bad guy? So be it.

Zero sacks in games 14, 15 & 16 last year (three straight losses) when we were in the midst of a playoff run..and I'm the bad guy? So be it. I post that he had exactly ONE game last year with more than 1.5 sacks and I'm a hater? And against the Bears at that.

My previous description of him remains spot on. Tell me where I am wrong. You are even in agreement with what I've said about clutch plays. The only other of my points to debate are that he is too focused on getting the sack, plays poorly against the run and disappears after he gets his sack. I don't need to read PFF or G-A-S what other players think to gain that opinion. He didn't jump offsides or lineup offsides in the opener...so that was great to see.

Lastly, it's possible to like a guy and still be critical of him and want/expect him to be better...or be who he is stroked to be. I'll be rooting for him to destroy the Jets...just like I do with every opponent.

2 members like this: chet the jet, mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm wondering if Winfrey showed up wasted?

Legend
Legend
I'm would bet that he showed up late.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
j/c:

I'm wondering if Winfrey showed up wasted?
. Idk. I was thinking it had more to do with how he was practicing against others. I guess it could be him under the influence.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was thinking it had more to do with how he was practicing against others.

That was my first thought. I don't know.......the word "professional" stood out to me.

V
Legend
Legend
V

V
Legend
Legend
V

V
Legend
Legend
V
There is a rumor out there that says he "assaulted a coach again." No idea if it is true. And I didn't hear anything about him assaulting a coach before. Has anyone else?

Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
There is a rumor out there that says he "assaulted a coach again." No idea if it is true. And I didn't hear anything about him assaulting a coach before. Has anyone else?

I didn’t hear of him assaulting a coach but he was disciplined early in camp for something.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
No idea if information from this article is related to Perrion's current troubles...

link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R
It's a credibility thing. Blast one guy for something while defending another when they have the same shortcomings. I'm sure you don't care if I think you're credible, but I like pointing it out all the same.

And I'll say this again...the way Baker can get people on his side is impressive. I lurk on one of the Panthers boards. They have threads stating Baker is their franchise QB. The posts within the thread are littered with opposing views. For the favorable views, it's everyone else's fault, including the Browns "trash" organization for why Baker didn't succeed. This is coming from a fanbase that I would say was 90% against acquiring Baker to begin with. Something about that guy is magical such that when he cultivates a following, that group of folks is all in.

No matter what I think of the guy, that is damn impressive. He could start a cult...or maybe he already has.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Start a cult, like Trump....I'm not a Baker HATER, I just never liked him- I'll admit he's pretty cagey in business- selling shirts, doing insurance commercials, he's in Heisman commercials, he gets his dollars while he's relevant. Did he get after his craft like his other opposing QBs did/have done....no one really knows. I didn't like him running for cops before he was drafted number one. He's a small guy with a chip on his shoulder/ over producer....and LASTLY, I think getting yourself hurt tackling after throwing an interception. He wasn't paid to tackle.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

All bark and no bite? I was okay drafting him in the 4th, but not before then.

Hopefully this is a wake up call that Perrion hears.

#work

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V

V
Legend
Legend
V

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
I still have high hopes for Winfrey, but he may not be able to get out of his own way. I could tell he was one of those "need to stay focused" type players that may have a hard time finding his way when his focus strays.

No doubt. The guy is a egg head who needs to get it in gear in a hurry.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
If it's Perrion Winfrey, ask, Why would the Browns rely on a rookie?
Not even a top ten or first guy drafted.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
What is the REAL potential for Big Plays by the Browns offense, as currently constructed?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg
Yikes(?)

Crazy. I wonder what in the hell he did?

I don't think it's what he did.

I feel like it's not what he doesn't do.

Watching his draft day video, I feel he might have too much energy to

sit and focus on film or pay attention to what coaches and players ask of him.

He might not be a good listener and that would be not

being a pro.

Legend
Legend
I was hoping Chester Rogers could be our answer (or at least a better option) as a PR this week

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
" Learn to be a Pro."

That would imply things like:

Being on time. Paying attention in film sessions. Following what you are being taught.

Curfew. Knowing assignments. Not repeating mistakes. Being serious about preparation.

Acting like a professional being mature.

It is a privilege to play in the NFL. That means you better act like it rookie.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The only ones trashing him are spiteful Baker fans, including one who said that Baker was the best qb in the NFL since Joe Montana.

Even when nobody else is talking about Baker, you just can't seem to keep his name out of your mouth. And absolutely nobody is surprised by that. You love to try and stir the pot then you and a few of your minions blame everyone else for what you start. You're hilarious.

Gods honest truth. Even posted a tweet from nearly a week ago trying to drag Baker into the MG discussion.... and by Ver's own standards he's lying (again) because there is only one person criticizing MG - and he isn't trashing Garrett, he's saying he'd like to see MG light it up at the end of games which we've lost like Donald and TJ Watt..... the fact the WSU is talking about MG and comparing him to Watt and Donald is evidence enough there is no "trashing". But oh well.

It's impossible to have any conversation about a Browns player without Vers dragging Mayfield into the conversation. Though I agree with the idea that MG appears to disappear in some games when comparing his output to a Watt or Donald, as a total package for the game against the Panthers his PFF grade was exactly where it should have been playing against a rookie LT starting his first game ever in the NFL. IMHO, there is an issue that keeps rearing its ugly head and that's the inability of the defense to hold the lead. If you're honest, it's a trend that has been going on for a long time and that's a problem. As a package, Garrett 94.4 and Clowney 76.3 had pretty good games from the edge position. The interior of Elliot 60.2 ranked 47th and Bryan 57.6 ranked 58th puts the Browns DT's at or near the bottom of the NFL, again. If you don't think this is a problem - stay tuned.

Finally, much like as another poster stated, there are plays where Garrett has outside contain rather than bull rushing the QB, his PFF Grade encompassed all those plays where he had other responsibilities other than just rushing the QB. His overall grade obviously showed that in addition to his pass rushing, Garrett had the best game in the NFL based on his total overall grade. I do find it hilarious that the same people pushing MG's overall PFF Grade as proof of his total overall game against the Panthers are the exact same people making excuse after excuse for the poor PFF Grade and showing of Njoku 56.1 ranked 34th of 50 and Wills 51.7 ranked 59th out of 64 tackles ranked. That's 3 players that performed at the replaceable level 0-59 (Bryan 57.6, Njoku 56.1, Wills 51.7) and 1 at backup 60-69 (Elliott 60.2) just barely making backup grade. The big issue is that those grades are not just a one off at the beginning of the season, it's consistent with the performance they have been giving in previous years. IMHO, that's a huge concern as we go deeper into the season especially when the level on competition spikes. But hey, to each their own.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: SuperBrown, mgh888
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Very positive news about Hudson:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...rom-james-hudson/?itm_source=parsely-api

If I didn't know how raw/new he is to the OT position, I'd think the author was talking about a LT prospect.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

If I didn't know how raw/new he is to the OT position, I'd think the author was talking about a LT prospect.

Hudson being a league average player would be a huge hit for the roster. Anything more than that is one of the best picks of Andrew Berry’s career. Getting a starting tackle in the fourth round is awesome.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend

Gameday Grind: Creating an NFL field
#GamedayGrind gives fans an entertaining behind the scenes look of the combined effort it takes from different parts of the organization to create the best gameday experience possible. In this episode the grounds crew has just a week to flip FirstEnergy Stadium into a game ready field a week after hosting Machine Gun Kelly's sold out show.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

Hudson being a league average player would be a huge hit for the roster. Anything more than that is one of the best picks of Andrew Berry’s career. Getting a starting tackle in the fourth round is awesome.

This is a comment from Joe Thomas on Hudson. It's in the thread Clem started that is entitled Joe.

"I’ve been really impressed with [Hudson's] progress, especially as a right tackle. He’s really made big strides over where he was last year. Now it’s just for him about consistency."

C
Legend
Legend
C
I love Joe Thomas. His history of player evaluation (and coach evaluation) has been spotty at best. Let’s hope she’s right for this first time.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it's so much evaluations coming from him. I mean a lot of people see it that way and I certainly can understand why. But if people actually look at it, it's more support and encouragement than anything else. We see it all the time. How often do you see a Browns coach or a Browns player actually say negative things about other members of the Browns? Instead they talk them up and accentuate the positives. Joe has always been that way.

I think he was actually being pretty honest. I think most fans had huge question marks as to how Hudson would perform at RT. If he hadn't made some big strides in improving he never would have played as well as he did. The only question remaining is can that be accomplished on a consistent basis or was in an anomaly? I think Joe covered that with this part of his statement..... "Now it’s just for him about consistency."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
" Learn to be a Pro."

That would imply things like:

Being on time. Paying attention in film sessions. Following what you are being taught.

Curfew. Knowing assignments. Not repeating mistakes. Being serious about preparation.

Acting like a professional being mature.

It is a privilege to play in the NFL. That means you better act like it rookie.

My feeling with Garetts comments was something like a run in with line coach Kiffin. Stefanski seemed a little more irritated that him being late for a meeting

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Speculation. Who knows?

Sounds like a repeated offense of some kind. Myles said something like it was no surprise. You could see it coming.

I hope he learns from it.

Myles is a captain and he is Myles Garrett. I hope Myles sets his ass straight

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
I still have high hopes for Winfrey, but he may not be able to get out of his own way. I could tell he was one of those "need to stay focused" type players that may have a hard time finding his way when his focus strays.

His post-draft interview said it all about his immaturity level at this point in time. It was cringe-worthy.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Seems like Ben Gay 2.0. I think that's the right guy; missed meetings and number of things. I found him physically amazing. He just cut his own chances short.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Analytics resulted in the Browns needing to recover an onside kick, an onside kick by the opponent about, 7, or 8, or 9 times in the last couple of years, in order to win on that day.
Some stat listed that onside kicks are only I4% successful, well, if you treat Fourteen percent like it's Zero percent eventually if you rely on that so often, so very often, then it will go wrong.

Analytics loses on gamedays, The Browns... lost this week in a very analyzable game.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
The opposite of what was the concern to begin the season.

Special team kickoffs short, coverage poor, missed xtra point. Felton is a mistake waiting to happen on every punt. Covering an onside kick. Elementary.

The offense yesterday was outstanding. Jacoby played better than most thought possible. In fact DW could not be expected to play any better than Jacoby yesterday. Of course DW is a better quarterback but Jacoby played really well.

The strength of the team was supposed to be the secondary. Delpit was horrible. Newsome was not much better. They failed in press man and zone. They got beat in every way possible. How a receiver is able to get behind coverage after the Chubb TD? That is inexcusable.

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Legend
Legend
Why are we kicking off so short? Why are we letting guys behind us with 1:40 left? It’s baffling

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard