Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Swish #1971716 09/19/22 05:33 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do think firing Woods is premature.

I might see if Fangio is interested in some consulting work, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
jfanent #1971720 09/19/22 05:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Pretty damning. Basically, we are good against the run and when things are a little more “halfcourt” like in basketball … but as soon as a team starts to just throw and pick up the pace we really struggle. Interesting. My basketball mind finally has our defense pegged a bit.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
jfanent #1971722 09/19/22 05:55 PM
Legend
Legend
We have given up 34 points in the 4th quarter this year against two bad teams.

Talk about finishing. Accountable for mental errors means fix it or be gone.

I am not for firing people especially after two games. However, I would put players and coaches on high alert to fix the problem.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the problems are player related. My guess is we see changes in the defensive backfield. Players for sure, possibly in scheme as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I do think firing Woods is premature.

I might see if Fangio is interested in some consulting work, though.

Fangio wasn't much of a HC and is a bit abrasive, but he is a good DC. Or, at least he has had success in that role.

Swish #1971726 09/19/22 06:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ward basically flat out blamed Delpit today

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
bro im never gonna let it go. should've never let go of Richardson in the first place. dude was solid in the middle, loved the team and the team loved him. we had the money to keep him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1971730 09/19/22 07:02 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I didn't get letting him go and I didn't understand letting Jarvis walk this year.

GMdawg #1971735 09/19/22 07:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Why do I bother. Only one person even replied, yet not a single one of you (other than one person) can point out where the problem lies in their opinion. Y'all just want to witch and moan. If it's the scheme why is the D playing so well n the first half??? If it's the players why haven't the coaches made a change, or done what needs to be done to correct the problem. IMO the problem is with both. The coaching needs to improve as well as the play. Prove me wrong.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
ward basically flat out blamed Delpit today

Denzel Ward claims that Jets #84, Cory Davis was not his man...then when asked what his assignment was on that play, Ward says he was supposed to be covering "the flat".

Problem with Ward's answer...he didn't cover the flat either...Ward was 20 yds downfield from the Jets TE who was running an out into the flat on Ward's side..AND WAS BEING COVERED BY BROWNS LB, #28, JOK who had that TE covered. Ward wasn't covering anyone..!

Common sense applied...who calls a defense that uses the Browns best cover corner to break off of a WR running a deep pattern so the Browns best corner can cover the opponents flat..? I'm not buying Ward's excuse.

Time to remove the excuses the defensive backs are attempting to use..time to establish "a rule" that takes priority over any defensive call made...when in doubt, no receiver is allowed to run by a Browns CB.

Deep coverage is the #1 responsibility for Browns CBs. If there is any doubt, deep coverage is the #1 responsibility for Browns CBs.

Last season, when the Browns worked to simplify pass coverage, they went to man to man coverage, which translated into our CBs covering deep routes man to man. That might be the best way to simplify pass coverage/blown coverages.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Swish #1971747 09/19/22 08:53 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
MAC.. at the end of the day, the Safety should not be letting anyone get behind him. The last two games, our safeties are coming up and/or out of position. If they called a cloud cover two.. and not Cover -3, Ward is absolutely right!!... And if he says that in the media the he did, that meant Delpit had to be wrong!

GMdawg #1971748 09/19/22 08:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Why do I bother. Only one person even replied, yet not a single one of you (other than one person) can point out where the problem lies in their opinion. Y'all just want to witch and moan. If it's the scheme why is the D playing so well n the first half??? If it's the players why haven't the coaches made a change, or done what needs to be done to correct the problem. IMO the problem is with both. The coaching needs to improve as well as the play. Prove me wrong.

Knowing a little more today by hearing words from the coaches and players

makes it somewhat easier to maybe figure it out.

Hearing Stephanski state that they as coaches had the players on the side line telling them what they expected the Jets to do

and that was they were going to try and get behind the D

and what they wanted the D players to do was not let anyone get behind you

Here's where it all started going bad

First off the Browns had timeouts left, now the coaches told the players what they wanted them to do

obviously the players weren't in the proper positions, no one was deep deep deep

I ask , did the coaches not see that ? If they did, why wouldn't you call a timeout, get the players together and tell them

you have to be deeper your not in the right position here's where you need to be

be ready to tackle and it'll keep the clock running

Players are starting to point the blame finger at each other

blaming Chubb is such a throw him under the bus to take the blame off the D and the coaches

As of right now, I see a team falling apart

looks familiar !

jmo ofc !

GMdawg #1971752 09/19/22 09:19 PM
Legend
Legend

I'll try. In every profession, you have leaders that perform well when there's no pressure. They're able to organize, they are decisive and effective. When the pressure hits, they choke, and their good judgment is suddenly suspect. Their lack of confidence trickles down and people start questioning themselves. I think that's where Joe Woods is. Some people overcome that with experience, some don't. JW led Browns defenses have given up an average of 9.2 points per 4th qtr played since game 1 of 2020. That is just not acceptable.....he can't get it done when it matters most.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1971754 09/19/22 09:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent

I'll try. In every profession, you have leaders that perform well when there's no pressure. They're able to organize, they are decisive and effective. When the pressure hits, they choke, and their good judgment is suddenly suspect. Their lack of confidence trickles down and people start questioning themselves. I think that's where Joe Woods is. Some people overcome that with experience, some don't. JW led Browns defenses have given up an average of 9.2 points per 4th qtr played since game 1 of 2020. That is just not acceptable.....he can't get it done when it matters most.
For a two+ year sample size, that stat is OBSCENE.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Hearing Stephanski state that they as coaches had the players on the side line telling them what they expected the Jets to do

First off the Browns had timeouts left, now the coaches told the players what they wanted them to do

obviously the players weren't in the proper positions, no one was deep deep deep

I ask , did the coaches not see that ? If they did, why wouldn't you call a timeout, get the players together and tell them

you have to be deeper your not in the right position here's where you need to be

blaming Chubb is such a throw him under the bus to take the blame off the D and the coaches

looks familiar !

jmo ofc !

That's why my Signature is what it is.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

looks familiar !

jmo ofc !

Wow, you mean we actually have veteran players calling out other players in the press - really, I thought that was a clear sign of immaturity to do something like that. Oh, I guess it only applies to some and not for others.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Swish #1971769 09/19/22 09:52 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last edited by Swish; 09/19/22 09:55 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1971776 09/19/22 10:05 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Holy crap, after watching the Bills dismantle the Rams and now the Titans, they might score 100 points against our Browns.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
might ?

lol !

Thank goodness that game is two months off

maybe

Nah !

nvm

Swish #1971791 09/19/22 11:40 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Generally I think, Do not fire Joe Woods.

Eventually the stability has to start somewhere.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Ward said he had the flat.

When you look at the play. There was one receiver. There was no reason for Ward to stop his coverage.

Delpit also was wrong because there was one boundary receiver on that side. He has deep responsibility.

I maintain that on that play there should have been 6 db's and one linebacker.

Swish #1971825 09/20/22 08:44 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I hope this doesn't cause a divide. I saw where Ward made it clear he thought he was in the right coverage. I saw plenty of other commentary saying it looked like Ward was the only guy not in proper coverage.

I sure hope Ward is right because it isn't good for the locker room if he is throwing Delpit under the bus. We will never really know, but the guys on the team will know what is and what isn't.

Well, maybe we will as we see the D disintegrate and or Delpit kicking Wards ass.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I can read coverages. There is no way that Delpit should not have had the deep half on that play. Dude stands around way too much.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I can read coverages. There is no way that Delpit should not have had the deep half on that play. Dude stands around way too much.

Then Delpit needs to be benched.

Accountability. I still haven't heard or seen any accountability from team other than the coach with the canned "it's all my responsibility" answer.

The Browns are devoid of leadership from Haslam to Berry to Stefanski to the players. The team's best player got his feelings hurt over booing. You can't make this stuff up.

The Browns will not turn this around because they are devoid of leadership. It's another season, another crapshow.

1 member likes this: Floquinho
Legend
Legend
Joe Woods bears responsibility and so does Stefanski.

However, this is Woods direct responsibility. HC's have to delegate. This is Wood's scheme. Woods played a part with Berry to get players to fit the scheme.

Ward is an pro bowl player. They went and got JJ who is considered to be a good player. Delpit was a high draft pick. Newsome a first rounder.

Emerson was a high pick Greedy a second rounder. Harrison traded for and resigned. JOK a steal in the draft. Walker resigned and playing great. Myles first pick in the draft. Clowney first pick.

This is not about talent. These players were damn near hand picked to play in Woods scheme. Frankly, the scheme is not a bad scheme. Woods has to coach the scheme and make sure there is no miscommunication. That is his job.

Joe Woods needs to do a better job. If there are not improvements made to the problems. Then Stefanski needs to fire him.

Rishuz #1971832 09/20/22 09:06 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wonder if the Raven fans are whining like our fans. They had a ton of blown coverages last week. I see blown coverages in many games. Our fans like firing people.

I am not excusing the blown coverages, but the drama is nauseating. Fire this guy. Bench that guy. Sheesh!

Swish #1971835 09/20/22 09:15 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

GM, I agree with you. I think it is a combination of both. Obviously we aren't hearing what is relayed down to the defense and/or the process it is relayed. We've heard about the changing of the green dot and some of the remarks from players.

They need consistency in place of the process. Obviously this (should) will get better. I keep reading about accountability on here. Accountability doesn't mean quick reaction - fire people. Stefanski's first thing after the game or Monday's meeting should be asking Woods where the break down was in communication. What went right, what went wrong. What is Woods course of action(s) to fix these issues. (Since this was a major breakdown) What does he think will be the end result of his course of action(s). Why will this course of action(s) improve the process and success to the defense.

It is game two, firing Woods now only causes more chaos. This team needs consistency and be able to work these issues out. If firing is the end result, that needs to happen either towards the latter half of the season or at seasons end. Woods is fully aware his side of the ball played a terrible game. He's aware his seat is getting warmer. Stefanski as the leader of the team, needs to have that one on one talk. Then sit down with Woods and the defensive staff and get their input on the process as designed above. Firing people right away (situational depending) only causes more stress and takes away focus on moving forward to the next challenge/game. What it brings is - oh crap, they fired the last guy. Am i getting fired next??

Bringing it back to the players part GM. As for the players, my question or wondering....besides communication since that seems like the obvious answer. Are the players not trusting each other with their assignments? Are the players freelancing or over-extending their assignments? I know players can do too much instead of just doing their role. Instead of playing "team" defense, a player or players think they have to be superman out there and this can kill a defense. When in reality, just trust your teammates to do their job and you do yours. The offensive line is another place where usually these issues arise.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Swish #1971841 09/20/22 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Forcast:

Joe Woods best defensive games have been vs the Steelers, where he has seemingly saved his job in the past.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I wonder if the Raven fans are whining like our fans. They had a ton of blown coverages last week. I see blown coverages in many games. Our fans like firing people.

I am not excusing the blown coverages, but the drama is nauseating. Fire this guy. Bench that guy. Sheesh!

Well, happy Stefanski didn't overreact and replace Brissett with Dobbs....

This next part isn't directed at you Vers.

But we all have different opinions. We all get frustrated or upset about a game. What people have to understand is no matter the player. Players are human, they will have bad games, they will have great games. Calling for players or coaches heads...just have to think about the consequences to those actions. Also, every team is different. Some teams gel quickly at the start of the season, some it may take a game or more. It's the coaches job to try to get the most out of them right away.

Just look at this past two weeks so far. The first week there were teams that won or winning that on paper shouldn't of been winning. It felt like almost all the games were that way. The second week, just like our game....I swear every team blown or almost blew a lead (we just overachieved in blowing ours, ugh). Teams have ups, teams have downs. The way to stay in it is to minimize those downs.

Swish #1971843 09/20/22 09:31 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Delpit is not a smart player and doesn’t anticipate well enough to be the free safety. He kills us.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
A voice of reason in a forest of gibberish.

Legend
Legend

After a quick look at their forums, yes they are. They actually did fire their DC last year.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1971854 09/20/22 10:05 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent

After a quick look at their forums, yes they are. They actually did fire their DC last year.

Yes. "Whining" just like us with an added layer of profanity. They're whining to hire the last guy back... after whining non-stop about him last year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
jfanent #1971855 09/20/22 10:07 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the info. I guess it proves that many fans are clueless no matter which team they support. Firing coaches after going 1 and 1 is stupid.

Swish #1971857 09/20/22 10:10 AM
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I had been on the fence about Woods until midway through last season. After the first PIT game, I had seen enough. It seems that the very few times we blitz we are successful. The blitz packages come from all angles as our LB's, CB's & S's have all had success. Why are there so few blitzes?

The Woods scheme does not seem to put importance on 3rd down stops, as 3rd &6/7 are routinely converted into first downs. (This has been an issue for many DC's as I recall routinely knowing where the play was going prior to the 3rd down snap, and watch yet another 3rd down conversion. Thus keeping the D on the field.)

It has been stated that when the field shrinks and opponents are in the red zone, we are successful. But it sure seems like we give up 3 to 4 easy conversions that allow opponents to get into scoring range too many drives a game. These factors added to the fact that teams are averaging nearly 10 points in the fourth quarter during Woods tenure, making it very frustrating when the same mistakes continue to happen.

Same issue's cost us last season. Week 1. get the lead give up big pay TD next possession. The same thing happened against SD not too long after. I am positive it happened again but those are the ones that stick out. Now, this season is here and the same thing happens again twice in the first 2 games. Where is J. Peppers & D. Williams when you need them?

How can you control 97% of 2 games but yet be a near miracle 58 yard FG to escape being 0-2? How?

If Woods can not adjust his scheme, he needs to go sooner than later.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

One thing to keep in mind, there's a difference between aw crap. We blew that game and aw crap, we blew that game again.

We are at: we blew that game, yet again.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
"Tough, Smart, Accountable."

If that is the message then it must have bite. This is a performance business. Everyone knows it.

Everyone gets beat. Everyone commits mistakes. But you must learn and not repeat mistakes.

If players are going to be accountable then so are coaches.

Scoring by quarter:

Jets - 0 (1st qt. ), 14 (2nd), 0 (3rd), 13 (4th)

Panthers - 0 (1st), 7 (2nd), 0 (3rd), 17 (4th)

2021 Ravens game:

0 (1st), 6 (2nd), 3 (3rd) 13 (4th)
===========================================================

I don't want to fire Woods. I want him to do his job better.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the info. I guess it proves that many fans are clueless no matter which team they support. Firing coaches after going 1 and 1 is stupid.

I'm not talking about firing a coach after going 1-1. It's about giving up an average of 9.2 points in the 4th qtr over 2+ seasons, including quite a few losses and near losses directly related to meltdowns and miscues on the defense. I wonder if there's another team in the league that even comes close to that 9.2 points?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Swish #1971863 09/20/22 10:19 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C

I think what baffles me is the lack of consistency. The fourth quarter stats are also concerning. Sometimes, I know that it's because we have a comfortable lead and we want the clock to run. That's really not been the case this year, though.

It seems like, in some games, we absolutely fire on all cylinders and pulverize the opposing offense. In other games, it seems like we don't know what anyone is supposed to be doing. It really seems like there needs to be streamlined communication first and foremost. Perhaps also some simplification? I'm not sure how many contingencies (If X, then Y) are taking place in our coverages. I have to imagine there are more of those in a base nickel defense like we run, but I could be wrong.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fire Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard