Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I'm not telling you what to think.

---------------------------------------------------Then...

I think maybe it's time for some people to reconsider how they view for Stefanski.

You couldn't get to a 2nd post in a row WITHOUT telling people what to think/view.

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
P
Legend
Legend
P
There was an albatross placed around the neck of this team well before this season even began. Bad press, nagging questions asked of the players and them being forced to provide cover. They too are human beings. But nobody wants to bring that up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just watched an interview that Kimberly Martin from ESPN did w/Jacoby. Man, he is a really likable guy. Very calm. Soft-spoken. Quiet resolve. Very steady. It would be great for the Browns--and him--if he continues to have success here. Wishing him the best.

L
Legend
Legend
L
JB is getting it done, period. I feel confident when he drops back to pass. Very aware in the pocket, confident, hitting his receivers in stride. We might have a new quarterback controver.... I can’t say it, not yet. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jacoby has exceeded all expectations to this point.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
JB is getting it done, period. I feel confident when he drops back to pass. Very aware in the pocket, confident, hitting his receivers in stride. We might have a new quarterback controver.... I can’t say it, not yet. wink

Man, if we're having that conversation when Watson returns to practice, we'll be in great shape! thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: lampdogg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Jacoby is playing very well. It's early, but we are a better team w/him at qb than we would be w/Baker. He doesn't turnover the ball as much and takes fewer sacks. My only complaint is that in taking care of the ball, he is sometimes a beat too late on throws. Even w/the negative, he is a steadying influence for this team and he is one of the guys instead of wanting to be the show.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This is a thread about Jacoby. Please take your Baker obsession somewhere else and stop clogging up threads about a player who is no longer a Brown.

2 members like this: SuperBrown, PitDAWG
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
To me, JB is playing about as I expected, not necessarily in terms of wins or stats. I thought if we protected him, he would be consistent, but he wouldn't make plays that would cause your jaw to drop, just be steady. Looking over his career stats and teams he was with, I assumed he would take care of the ball and make good decisions. I felt we had enough talent to help him.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think Baker wanted to be the show. That's not fair. I think Baker's personality combined with his poor play didn't put him in the best standing with his teammates. At the end of the day it's about production, and Baker's production wasn't there.

In a surprising twist the Carolina fans have already turned on him after two games. I don't think Baker will be in the league two years from now unless he is willing to be a backup. And even then teams may not want him in that role.

I have gone from being ticked off at his play here to feeling bad for the guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree. Dude would not throw the ball to OBJ because he was jealous of the latter. He put out a shirt about being unleashed right before our game. I could go on and on and I won't trash you for your opinion. I still think we are a better team w/JB than we would be w/Baker. Imagine how good we will be next year w/Watson? I'm hoping you are finally going to give Stefanski some credit...

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I'll let Marla do the talking. She's saying pretty much everything I'm thinking anyway. Brissett, in a word: Stoic.

'He's been unbelievable': Outsiders underestimated Cleveland Browns' Jacoby Brissett

Marla Ridenour
Akron Beacon Journal

CLEVELAND — When the Browns collapsed in a 31-30 loss to the New York Jets Sunday, it felt as if the best game of quarterback Jacoby Brissett’s life had been wasted.

Having that thought may still be hard to admit. But it was nearly universal, at least to those outside the drama-filled confines of the Browns’ Cross Country Mortgage Campus.

We were wrong.

Thursday’s 29-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers at FirstEnergy Stadium proved that we grossly underestimated Brissett.

Signed by the Browns on March 25, Brissett was considered a placeholder for Deshaun Watson, a game manager with a 14-23 record as a starter. After Watson’s 11-game league suspension was announced, many believed the Browns would have been better off with Baker Mayfield, traded to the Carolina Panthers. Some longed for Jimmy Garoppolo, whom the San Francisco 49ers wisely decided to keep.

We were wrong on all counts.

In the past two games against the Jets and Steelers, Brissett has shown what he can do when he’s surrounded by some of the top offensive linemen and running backs in the league. His passer rating in those two games is 106.2, his completion percentage 74.1. In three games, those numbers stand at 94.3 and 66.3. His career-best QBR was 88.0 with the Indianapolis Colts in 2019. His best passing percentage was 62.7 in 2021 with the Miami Dolphins.

Since his emotional and clunky Browns debut in a 26-24 victory at Carolina, Brissett had zip on the ball and made plays with his feet.

He showed how much that mobility meant to him Thursday, when he picked up 6 yards on a third-and-1 from the Steelers 14 with 11:32 remaining in the fourth quarter and responded with a fist pump worthy of Tiger Woods. His gain kept alive an 11-play, 80-yard touchdown drive that put the Browns ahead 23-14.

Brissett honesty in discussing his emotions about that play gave a glimpse of why his teammates are so devoted to him.

“I was thinking about that on the sideline because I have never been able to do that in a game,” Brissett said. “Every time I see a quarterback do that in a game, I am like, ‘Dang, that is so sick. I want to do that one time.’

“I told myself if I get a sneak, I am doing it. I almost blacked out. The flow of the game, just being excited, letting my emotions show and not holding things in, just being present.”

The Browns’ Oct. 2 game at Atlanta concludes the confidence-building portion of the schedule before they are thrown into the fire against the Los Angeles Chargers on Oct. 9. Before Watson’s scheduled return to action on Dec. 4 at Houston, the Browns also take on the New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Dolphins, Buffalo Bills and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Brissett could come back down to earth against teams like the Chargers, Bills and Bucs. But the chemistry he’s building with four-time Pro Bowler Amari Cooper, who became the first Browns receiver to have back-to-back 100-yard games in nine years, and tight end David Njoku bodes well. No longer does a sub-.500 record with Brissett at the helm look inevitable.

Cooper sees something in Brissett, drafted by the Patriots in the third round in 2016, even though Brissett is with his fourth NFL team, three in the past three years.

“I think he’s proven obviously he can win, but I don’t think he’s proven anything we didn’t already know about him,” Cooper said. “I don’t think he would be in the league if he wasn’t a good quarterback at this point. He’s been in the league a long time, he’s a veteran and he’s a really good player. We’re really glad to have him.”

Running back Kareem Hunt was just as enthused about Brissett.

“He's doing a great job leading us and he's hungry, too, man,” Hunt said. “He's a heck of a football player going out there and showing what he can do.”

After Brissett completed 21 of 31 for 220 yards and two touchdowns without an interception against the Steelers and ran three times for 11 yards, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski found some things to nitpick.

“He was solid. Didn’t start fast,” Stefanski said. “I have to get him going early and get our offense going early. Made some throws and made some big throws in big moments. Battled. He is doing a nice job.”

But from Brissett’s teammates, the raves kept on coming.

“Under pressure, he's making the right plays, making the right reads. He's very calm in the pocket. He trusts us and we trust him,” All-Pro right tackle Jack Conklin said.

“He's done great for us. He's just a charismatic, natural leader. He has a standard that he wants to play to and that he wants to hold guys to. It's cool to see,” All-Pro left guard Joel Bitonio said. “He's been around some of the great quarterbacks in the game, and I think he just carries himself that way.”

Brissett even has supporters on the defensive side of the ball.

“He’s poised. He makes phenomenal plays. It’s not like he is just managing the game,” free safety John Johnson III said. “He’s creating things, buying time ... He’s running and getting crucial first downs. He's been unbelievable.

“The thing that sticks out to me is that I look up at the scoreboard, and we had scored like 30 points or 29 so I am like if we can score 30, there is no reason why we should lose games.”

Going into the season, the presumption was that the defense would have to carry the Browns until Watson returned. No one saw 28.3 points per game (seventh in the league) coming. No one outside Browns headquarters, that is.

After the Browns visit the Falcons, there surely will be some rough times ahead. But thus far those have largely been confined to the defense and special teams. The run-heavy offense with Nick Chubb and Hunt has been efficient, especially with Brissett’s 6.5 average yards per attempt ranking 25th in the league. The Browns 378.7 yards per game stand ninth in the NFL.

Brissett has answered a lot of questions and silenced a lot of doubters through three games, even though he doesn’t seem to concern himself with outside perceptions.

"I am not in this to answer anybody’s questions,” he said. “I am in here to play good football, play for my teammates and enjoy this moment.

“That is really what it is all about. I can look those guys in their faces and tell them I am giving them my best. That is what I look forward to.”

Yes, we were wrong about Brissett. We were very, very wrong. So much so that in games that would be chalked up as a loss without a thought, Brissett may give the Browns a fighting chance.

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Follow her on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MRidenourABJ.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Concentrating more on the JB part of it, I want to reiterate that his calm, steady demeanor and performance is good for the rest of the teams. He leadership is understated, but I think that is exactly what this team needs. He doesn't hold the ball too long. He keeps his eyes downfield when pressured instead of crumbling or escaping the pocket before he should. He puts nice zip on the ball in the intermediate range. And like I suggested earlier on in this very thread, he won't throw a ton of interceptions and take needless sacks. I think Stefanski has once again brought out the best in his qb and JB does what he is asked. I don't think he is a guy who elevates others due to him making great throws and I don't think he can put the team on his back. However, he knows his role and is doing what he needs to do be an integral part of our success. The crazy thing is that he is our backup qb. Things are looking bright.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The OBJ Baker thing is so weird I don't really know what the truth is. The only thing I know for sure is a categorical lie is that OBJ was running the wrong routes. That doesn't even make any sense.

As for Stefanski he deserves a lot of credit for the rebound win last night. He is also responsible for the whole picture, including all sides of the ball and the coaches he hired to coach them.

When we are consistent across the entire operation no one will heap more praise than me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Browns players praise QB Jacoby Brissett after big win over the Steelers

Jeff Risdon
September 23, 2022 9:00 am ET

The Cleveland Browns captured an important victory on Thursday night, beating back the rival Pittsburgh Steelers 29-17 in a nationally televised game. Cleveland’s win came in no small part due to a great game from quarterback Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett was in complete command of the Browns offense all night. He delivered crisp, accurate passes to the best options. No. 7 completed 21 of his 31 pass attempts for 220 yards and two TDs. It was Brissett at his finest.

His teammates appreciated how well Brissett played in the primetime triumph.

Right tackle Jack Conklin, who played well in his own right, offered this on Brissett,

“Just great leadership. Under pressure he is making the right plays and making the right reads. He is very calm in the pocket. He trusts us, and we trust him.”

That sentiment was shared by wide receiver Amari Cooper, who was on the receiving end of seven of Brissett’s completions, hitting 101 yards and a touchdown.

“I think he has proven that he can win,” Cooper said. “I don’t think he has proven anything that we didn’t already know about him. I don’t think he would be in the league if he wasn’t a good quarterback at this point. He has been in the league a long time. He is a veteran and a good player. We are glad to have him.”

Related
Jacoby Brissett on star wide out Amari Cooper: ‘He is a great player, teammate’

“He is doing a great job leading us,” running back Kareem Hunt said. “He is hungry, too. He is a heck of a football player going out there and showing what we can do.”

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

V
Legend
Legend
V

P
Legend
Legend
P
I disagree. Dude would not throw the ball to OBJ because he was jealous of the latter. He put out a shirt about being unleashed right before our game. I could go on and on and I won't trash you for your opinion. I still think we are a better team w/JB than we would be w/Baker. Imagine how good we will be next year w/Watson? I'm hoping you are finally going to give Stefanski some credit...

And there you have it, you have managed to derail a thread about Jacoby with Baker. I'm sure you're proud of your accomplishment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc

Tackles are tackles.
4 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, FL_Dawg, Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
Brissett was letting it rip last night. Could not be happier with his play.

Legend
Legend
guys, can we all take time to appreciate how many batted balls at the LoS we ARENT seeing game to game on a regular basis? i get it that it happens, but i think JB only had one batted down last night, and im sure it happened but i cant remember any in the first 2 games.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
3 members like this: jfanent, FL_Dawg, Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

It's amazing what a little confidence can do for a player. He probably would not have had the confidence to make that TD throw to Njoku in week one. Now Jacoby is confident and playing uninhibited by others expectations of him and having fun in the process.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
He's doing a damned fine job and I agree with you that you could see his confidence grow as the games have gone on.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a good point, Swish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
guys, can we all take time to appreciate how many batted balls at the LoS we ARENT seeing game to game on a regular basis? i get it that it happens, but i think JB only had one batted down last night, and im sure it happened but i cant remember any in the first 2 games.

I really loathed the batted balls from our QBs' in the recent past team history.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

It's amazing what a little confidence can do for a player. He probably would not have had the confidence to make that TD throw to Njoku in week one. Now Jacoby is confident and playing uninhibited by others expectations of him and having fun in the process.

There is a huge difference in the way JB has played these last two games vs week 1. He was probably really nervous in that game. He did not turn the ball over that game, but he missed a bunch of throws. He's been zipping the ball in there the last two weeks.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Swish

I actually thought of that in game one when our DL knocked down at least 5 at the LOS. Who knows, maybe some will happen, but it's nice to have not had to deal with many.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

There is a huge difference in the way JB has played these last two games vs week 1. He was probably really nervous in that game. He did not turn the ball over that game, but he missed a bunch of throws. He's been zipping the ball in there the last two weeks.

Jacoby is playing free ... but not care free with the ball and that is pleasing to see from a Browns QB with these old eyes ... not playing reckless and dangerously ... just getting the ball into the hands of our playmakers. It's soooo refreshing 😌

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
I forgot to mention Jacoby's shirt from last night. Here it is for those who did not see it. Gotta love it!!!!

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Brissett was letting it rip last night. Could not be happier with his play.

Agreed. Plus, the guy comes across as an all-around good human. Hard not to root for people like that.

Tackles are tackles.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
He had an incompletion last night that was one of my favorite plays. Since we were playing the Steelers I’ll equate it to ol Big Ben. Went through his reads stepped up in the pocket, there was nowhere safe to throw it. Defender gets a grasp of him and he used his size to avoid the sack by getting the ball out where there wouldn’t be a grounding call but there was no turnover risk.

Especially at Indy I was always frustrated because he seemed to play smaller than he is and took over 50 sacks that one season where he was the full time starter.

A small testament to him learning and improving - it caught my eye ….. I have my reservations about Watson when he comes back but at least we know there is a true pro in that QB room.

Legend
Legend
Agreed, RAW.

Reminded me of Ben as well. Those plays are demoralizing to a defense. Held the ball strong, absorbed the contact, negated a positive play for the defense.

V
Legend
Legend
V

O
Legend
Legend
O

OBJ couldn't catch anything but a cold here. WHY would Baker throw to him when they need yards?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c,

He was outstanding last night Vers. And if he keeps it up, I may have to admit he's better than Baker. But not quite yet. Nothing in his past shows me that. But his play now does. Let him play these 11, then revisit this. But for now, Baker is no longer here, Why do you keep stirring the board up with those constant references? It's almost like you want the fighting between us fans. And it was never really about Baker vs. Brissett. It was about Baker over Watson due to his charges. Had we kept baker but brought in Brissett and he played like this, the whole narrative would be different. I'm extremely surprised and happy with the way Brissett is playing, the first game included. TBH, if he can play like that most weeks, I'm not very sure Watson can outplay him. Right now, Brissett is on fire.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/23/22 10:26 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O

And I'm happy to say that's my QB.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Brissett is playing inside the system. The only comparison I'll make between JB and Baker is that JB has a better understanding of his limitations. If anything, he underestimates what he might be able to do and doesn't try to make certain plays where Baker overestimated his ability and tried to make plays he probably shouldn't.

No doubt Baker has more ability but he might not be a better QB, if that makes any sense.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Brissett is playing inside the system. The only comparison I'll make between JB and Baker is that JB has a better understanding of his limitations. If anything, he underestimates what he might be able to do and doesn't try to make certain plays where Baker overestimated his ability and tried to make plays he probably shouldn't.

No doubt Baker has more ability but he might not be a better QB, if that makes any sense.

I think that is true. I also ask you to consider this. Playing from behind the chains is tough to do. It shortens possessions and puts more pressure on your defense because they are on the field longer. There are little things to consider. JB will stand tall in the pocket and make a throw in the face of the rush. Baker used to lower his eyes and take sacks. Big difference from being in 2nd and 18 vs 2nd and 3. Or picking up a first down vs being 3rd and 12. Also, we are now having fewer passes that are batted down. Again, that affects the down and distance situations. Fumbled snaps are another factor in down and distance situations. And going it to this season, Baker leads the lead in interceptions since 2018. All of the above matters over the course of a season.

On the other hand, Baker has a superior arm. He also has a greater ability to make big plays in the passing game. We haven't had to play from behind much this year and I have serious doubts that Jacoby is going to be able to stand toe to toe w/the likes of Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, etc. When we get Watson back next year, the playing field will be leveled for us against those elite QBs. For now, I am enjoying the season and JB is playing better than I thought he would and also taking care of the little things just like I predicted he would.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JB has played well these pst 2 games. The 1st game he played poorly.
I am wondering if game 1 was so bad because Watson got all the training camp reps and Dobbs got the majority of preseason snaps.

Last edited by Jester; 09/24/22 08:00 AM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It should go without question that Brissett is playing lights out these last 2-games. I would think that it would be difficult to place any blame on Brissett at this point. I also believe that we should see a similar type of production next week. However, let's not forget that these first 4-games were the part of the schedule the Browns were supposed to exceed expectations. Facing Mayfield, Flacco, Trubisky, and Mariota the first 4-games is not the same as facing Herbert, Jones, Jackson and Burrow. At this stage of the game, our defense will not be competitive against those teams which will mean Brissett and the offense will have to open up to be competitive. The question has been and always will be can Brissett be efficient enough against the top tier teams. That day is approaching fast and at this point, I'm not sure yet. Defensively, it's looking like it'll be very ugly.

My biggest offensive concern and has been the poor play of Wills at LT. Through 3-games now, he's graded out offensively at 56.7 and allowed the only sack of Brissett this week on an isolation play where he got beat badly. Watts wasn't playing either so my concern for Brissett's safety is warranted as our level of competition that will step up dramatically after next week. His run blocking is even worse than his overall score being at 51.3 through 3-games. That tells me the Browns can't run left without help for Wells. If I can see it, so can these better teams coming up on the schedule. With Mack and Bosa coming up in 2-weeks, Brissett better order an extra set of chicken pads with Wills at LT.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

All of that makes perfect sense. It's early in the season yet, but Jacoby looks great and is playing within himself and the system.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Jacoby

Link Copied to Clipboard