Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
It's a mess. I've said before -- I think the Ravens should tag him next year. I'm starting to get the impression that Lamar may not show up if they do.

On one hand, I've tipped my cap to the fact that they have let him 'be Lamar' and haven't tried to mold him into something he's not; on the other -- it reeks a little of 'chew him up, spit him out, and move on'. And now he's getting pretty chewed up with mounting injuries, and no contract seems a bit like 'spit him out'.

I think (could be wrong) that instead of an agent busting their hump to try to get a deal done, we now have his mother probably telling him he's been disrespected... and to settle for nothing less than 'Watson money'. I don't think that's happening. However, as a Browns fan, I will be very happy if it does.

Harbaugh doesn't do injured players any favors. Always seems like he's rushing some perceived timeline in his head. He started calling Lamar "week to week" straight out of the gate. He earlier implied Ronnie Stanley was slow-playing his injury. They rushed JK back, probably too early. Last year (I think?) he was talking about players making "tough decisions" when considering shutting it down and opting for surgery. Most coaches stick to the script... "we want what's best for Joe Blo" blah, blah, blah.

I say this because we both know how the media works. Media thinks coach is unhappy with player's progress so they go down a rabbit-hole. In Lamar's case that hole has gone as far as doctors outside the org saying he could play with a brace... and then fans and media saying "yeah, Flacco played with a brace, Lamar is selfish!" Not a good situation.

Lamar will miss this week, will he return (if able) to play in a playoff game? Try to improve on his 1-3 playoff record with all that rust? I think he's done for the season. I think the feeling amongst fans, and maybe some players, then becomes 'abandonment'.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't know about Harbaugh's history of dealing w/injured players. That makes me wonder if his comments are more calculated rather than just speaking out of frustration. Dude has been in the NFL forever. He knows how things go down.

I think this is looking like a bad situation for both the Ravens and Lamar. Selfishly, I good w/that as a Browns fan.

Legend
Legend
I agree. It looks like a situation that is headed towards a divorce

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
At the time of injury, some said 1-3 weeks, most said it was more like 4-6. Harbaugh's demeanor with the media seemed to be "he'll be back any minute" lol.

I think the dude is old-school and definitely has "ALPHA" tattooed directly on his forehead. There are probably plenty of players that milk injuries, John's not having it. Sadly, we've reached a point (in society, really) where honest and forthright is frowned upon. Probably rightfully so, when we see how quickly the media can twist anything into a tornado. Think about Myles... he's been nothing but candid about everything going on this year. Candid and honest. After a while, we're all screaming "shut up!". Not because of the message, because of how it's twisted, and the perceived effect of the 'twist' on the locker room.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The media sucks! I have always approved of the Bill Belichick way of handling the media.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
It reeks a little of 'chew him up, spit him out, and move on'. And now he's getting pretty chewed up with mounting injuries, and no contract seems a bit like 'spit him out'.

I think this 100%, I've thought this for some time. Last year when Huntley played so well I thought the divorce was a sure thing, maybe not with the way he has played this year. If you are an NFL team and you look at the history of phenom scrambling QB's (of which Lamar is as electric as any) - they have a shelf life and we've seen it play out this year. It doesn't matter how good they are at avoiding big hits, eventually all the niggly stuff catches up. Bottom line it's a business and chew em up and spit em out sort of applies in some form or another to all players regardless of how elite their talent is, once they get injured or stop performing at whatever level, they will be cut/gone.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We can only hope.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Is it a wise decision to fully commit to Lamar by giving him a better deal than the one Watson received?

The Browns FO were the people to set the new bar for the QB market. You really should be asking them. Maybe that's exactly why the other NFL franchises weren't happy about it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who the hell are you to tell me what to do? This isn't your classroom.

Btw---it's called friendly conversation which is something you know nothing about.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just a suggestion. It would seem logical to address your question to the people who created the situation. But I can certainly understand why such a suggestion would upset you. And there wasn't anything unfriendly in my response to you. Once again you're just making crap up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Is it a wise decision to fully commit to Lamar by giving him a better deal than the one Watson received?

The Browns FO were the people to set the new bar for the QB market. You really should be asking them. Maybe that's exactly why the other NFL franchises weren't happy about it?

This is one of the best things the Browns have ever done.

5 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent, MemphisBrownie
V
Legend
Legend
V
He hates the Browns so much that he is actually upset that we hurt the Ravens.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Rishuz

I totally agree. The Browns FO had the foresight to look into the future see what the markets are going to be for QB's and hurt both the Ravens and Bengals in the process. It was a great decision that by year 3 will start to look like a bargain $ wise.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P

More made up BS by the king of lies.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz

It could turn out that way. Or maybe not. I'm still not sure how that changes the fact that the Browns created an unprecedented situation with NFL QB contracts moving forward. Sometimes facts seem to incite certain people into saying nasty, untrue things. Not you per say.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sometimes facts seem to incite certain people into saying nasty, untrue things. Not you per say.

True.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Yes, this is nothing but a lie plain and simple. Try to own it for a change. It puts all of the other 31 teams in an unprecedented situation involving future QB contract situations. The Ravens are only one example that is currently applicable. But your personal agenda has caused you to make up lies about it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Care to tell me who has the word "Predator" in their sig?

Care to tell me who said they would never support the team again?

Care to tell me who started a thread about The Basement Bowl when a thread already existed about previewing the game?

Care to tell me who mocks the Browns daily?

Care to tell me who attacks Browns fans daily?

So, you will excuse me if I have come to the realization that you hate the Browns. Heck, you are knocking them for creating a favorable situation for the team because other teams are now going to have to pay their qbs more.

Spin away...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Care to tell me who has the word "Predator" in their sig?

Someone who is willing to be honest about the situation

Care to tell me who said they would never support the team again?

Yet another lie. I said that I still support the team but that level of support does not reach what I know the word fan means. "Fanatic". Try again.

Care to tell me who started a thread about The Basement Bowl when a thread already existed about previewing the game?

Care to tell me what's inaccurate about that description? It is the game that decides who will finish on the basement of the AFC North. Or is your claim that it isn't?

Care to tell me who mocks the Browns daily?

I don't address figments of your imagination.

Care to tell me who attacks Browns fans daily?

That's the way you always describe anyone who has a different viewpoint than your own or a dissenting point of view. Nobody takes that propaganda BS from you seriously anymore.

So, you will excuse me if I have come to the realization that you hate the Browns..

No, I don't have to excuse your lies.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Jacoby Brissett 'will cherish' his time in Cleveland

Cory Kinnan
January 7, 2023 10:39 am ET

The 2022 season will conclude on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and as rocky as it was for the Cleveland Browns there has been one solid and continuous bright spot: quarterback Jacoby Brissett. He knows his time in Cleveland is likely over, but Brissett has stated that he will cherish his time with the Browns.

Starting the first 11 games of the season, Brissett set a career-high pace across the board, led the Browns to a top-10 offense and to a record of 4-7 in his tenure. He spoke to the media yesterday and was emotional as his season comes to an end:

“It’s been awesome… It’s been nothing short of that. The highs and lows, ups and downs, the relationships, the things you get to experience in an NFL locker room and being able to start and play good football, it’s been a lot of fun. It’s something I for sure will cherish.”

Here are some other quotes from Brissett’s media availability as he soaks in his remaining time in Cleveland.

List
An ode to Jacoby Brissett: His 5 best plays as the starting quarterback
Browns Jacoby Brissett View 6 items
"I feel like that holds more weight to me than wins or losses and things of that nature... Hopefully in the next couple days, I can get that answer if I was a good teammate or not."
Browns Jacoby Brissett
Browns QB Jacoby Brissett. Mandatory Credit: Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Everywhere Brissett has been, every locker room Brissett has had a locker in, one thing continues to ring true: he is the ultimate teammate. Whether he is throwing a lead block for Anthony Schwartz on a touchdown run, if he is gaming his teammates on the basketball court, or if he is just cracking jokes in the locker room, his personality is infectious.

As Brissett rattled off this quote to the media, running back D’Ernest Johnson interjected and yelled, “You’re a great teammate, bro.” Brissett then jokingly offered to buy Johnson’s dinner for his remarks.

A true leader in the locker room, the presence of Brissett will be hard to replace.

I asked #Browns QB Jacoby Brissett what he hopes to leave with the team if this is the end of his time in Cleveland.

He said he hopes he was a good teammate.

"Just trying to be a good person and be there for guys..."

What Brissett signed up for this season is not for everybody. Coming into his one-year deal with the Browns, Brissett knew his tenure as the starting quarterback would come to an end in the same season.

And he chose to be a part of this experience anyway.

Brissett can still be seen on the sidelines hyping up his teammates after a big play, his energy is infectious when he comes on the field for a short-yardage quarterback sneak. He is still the leader he was the first 11 games of the season, even if his role on the team is drastically different.

"I've learned a lot about myself and this game... I'm excited for what the future holds, but I'm excited I got to do this experience."

He has started full seasons for the Indianapolis Colts, he has spot started for the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins as well. If someone said Brissett would pace himself into career-high numbers before the season started (if he had played a full-season sample size), I would not have believed that person.

The Browns have the word “work” posted all over their facility, as well as, “tough, smart, accountable.” Brissett has personified the mission of head coach Kevin Stefanski this season for the Browns both on and off the field.

He took his game to another level and now has put himself back in a position to make a lot of money this offseason.

"Who knows... This league is crazy, right? A lot of things have happened. I wouldn't be me if I were worried about that."

Brissett has not ruled out a return to Cleveland:

“Who knows… This league is crazy, right? A lot of things have happened. I wouldn’t be me if I were worried about that. Right now, at this point in my life, those things will happen if those things are meant to happen. I’ll be where I’m at.”

However, as there are a handful of quarterback-needy teams, Brissett is in a position to cash in and act as a bridge quarterback for one of these franchises that draft a rookie they want to ease into the starting lineup. Who knows? There are probably franchises punting on this season to take Caleb Williams or Drake Maye as well that may ask Brissett to hang around on a multi-year deal.

And Brissett has earned and deserves every penny he makes this off-season. If that means his time in Cleveland is over, then good for him. Even in his one year in Northeast Ohio, Brissett will go down as a fan favorite, the ultimate teammate, and a Browns legend.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

1 member likes this: EveDawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
We could say Brisset's poor decisions in the red zone were key to losing at least 2 of the 4 losses in the October and September time frame.
but hey. A nice guy, a nice teammate.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Great football post and loved the article! He’s a guy who Browns fan came to appreciate and won’t be soon forgotten.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

There gets to be some heated - if not odd - debates about the salary cap. It's manageable...it's manipulate-able...it's a real thing. It's also the reason Jacoby won't be back next year. (BTW & FWIW..I'm not pinning that likelihood as being the fault of the FO.) If we really ARE a contender for next year, I'd rather have Jacoby as the #2 than Mond...but the cap won't allow that...and that's unfortunate. JMO.

Legend
Legend
Feels like Woods will be gone. Stefanski will get next year to try and right the ship. We have got to be a contending team next season IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
More chance they contend if Woods comes back than if he doesn't.
the offense is the problem.

and if they get what they want to fix the offense, it will be the wrong prescription. Because if they go all pass happy with bad WR, and not @uick throws to beat the blitz, then they'll be even worse than they are today.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

nanner

2 members like this: jfanent, PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

nanner

Wait... I thought he was in critical condition yesterday?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who cares? I am just glad the young man is out of the hospital and recovering.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
It does seem odd that only yesterday they were still saying he was in critical condition. But in the grand scheme of things being well enough to go home is some wonderful and great news!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm no doctor, but I would guess there is a basic timetable and checklist in place once you remove a breathing tube from a human that had a life-threatening event. Until that time and checklist is fulfilled, the patient would probably not change status. Just my attempt at a common sense guess though.

P
Legend
Legend
P
But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? naughtydevil

I have no idea. It just seemed odd to go from critical to going home in one day. I'm certainly glad he is well enough to get to go home. What I found to be odd isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It looks like he left the Cincinnati hospital to go to one in Buffalo for observation after the flight.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL......the part about setting all the alarms off is freaking great.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am going to miss Jacoby What a refreshing change after the previous guy.

1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
You just had to get that little barb in there didn't you? Let me guess, somebody else started it.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
I am going to miss Jacoby.

I will, too.

Every report about him that came from the locker room confirmed that he was smart, funny, personable and professional. The kind of guy every team wants on its roster.
I would enjoy reading an article telling us that he's been picked up for next season, although I rather doubt such a thing will come to pass.

TO ALL DAWGS READING THIS THREAD:
Where do you see Mr. Brissett's future taking its next step?

I think he handled his business better than most folks would have expected... but not handled well enough to earn him a starter's job on another team. Perhaps a one year inked agreement as a bridge QB while some team brings along their next QB1, but not much more than that. Had he won enough games to place CLE in the >.500 house before Deshaun came back, he might have a stronger case for a big payday. I'd love to see him stick here on a contract that makes all parties content. He has chemistry/history here, bros love him, and he's proven himself a capable cog in the machine, should CLE #4 go down for a game or three.

Better football minds than mine: pro's/con's to keeping Mr. Brissett? Money/cap issues? Feasibility?

In my naïve opinion, you don't just let proven assets walk.

3... 2... 1... discuss, plz.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Would love to have Jacoby back... he had a hell of a year and seems like an amazing teammate....

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
j/c:

nanner

Wait... I thought he was in critical condition yesterday?

Just hearing about it on TV brought back memories of the Lions Mike Utley of the Detroit Lions suffering a similar but more devastating injury. Wheelchair, etc. Early 80's...ish?

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was sitting in the living room with my Dad in 1971 watching the Bears game as we did every week when WR Chuck Hughs DET died on the field from a massive heart attack. At the time, I was a HS football player and vividly remember the shock of seeing a player actually die on the field. My Dad was a Pathologist and took the time to explain to me what was happening on the field that day as we watched this young man die. Hughes had just caught a pass a few plays earlier as the Lions were driving in the final minutes. With about 60 seconds left in the game, Hughes just fell facedown to the ground, clutching his chest. He had suffered a fatal heart attack. Paramedics tried to revive him but were unsuccessful. I remember them wheeling him away on that stretcher as my Dad told me he was most likely dead as we seen his arm hanging lifeless from the stretcher.

It's strange how much things have changed over the years. Back then, they didn't hide stuff like that on TV and didn't have all the experts on TV explaining what was happening. The game also continued as soon as Hughes was removed from the field. I know it was only for the 60 or so seconds that were left but they played on none the less. It was a different time. I'm glad Hamlin is doing better and hope he makes a full recovery. Stuff like this always brings you back to the reality that football isn't everything.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Clem, I would love to keep him. However, he deserves a chance to start. He was 8th overall in QBR, which is regarded as the most complete ranking mechanism of all that are out there. He ranked 6th overall in PFF QB rankings, which is another highly respected source. We were in the top 6 in offensive efficiency while he was playing. He deserves to get paid starter money.

My only concern would be is that he never came close to performing like that w/NE, Indy, and Miami. I think Stefanski's offense and usage of QBs was huge and that likely won't be duplicated elsewhere. With that said, while I wish we could keep him, I hope he gets paid.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News-continued

Link Copied to Clipboard