Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Lawrence with his 4th INTin the 1st half. crazy

Samuel has caught more passes from Lawrence than anyone on the jags team...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
We've had great comebacks in playoff games start with one team going up big, but real early.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
aww LA will have to settle for a fg. that could come back to haunt them.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
This could be very interesting to see how both teams play the remainder of the game, half and game.
For Jax, all they need is one score, that first TD.

for the chargers it will be how to avoid the expectation to let off the gas because they have a large lead of twentyseven to zero.

O
Legend
Legend
O
This is crazy; why can't the Browns ever catch a break like this? This is an article about the starting QB for the Niners today, Brock Purdy. The kid is on fire and looking like a top-10 starter. Selected last in the draft.

Brock Purdy Was Mr. Irrelevant. Now He’s Mr. Impossible.

Joe Montana. Steve Young. Yelberton Abraham Tittle. Some of the best quarterbacks to ever set foot on an NFL field played for the San Francisco 49ers, but none did what Brock Purdy has done this season.

You want wins? Purdy is one of only three rookie quarterbacks since the merger to start five or more games and go undefeated as a starter. The two others played for the Steelers: Mike Kruczek in 1976 (6-0) and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 (13-0). Both rookie quarterbacks’ teams went on to play in the conference championship.

Are touchdowns more your thing? Only Deshaun Watson had a better TD rate in his rookie season (9.3 percent vs. 7.6 percent for Purdy), and Hall of Famer Dan Marino checks in at a distant third (6.8 percent).

Perhaps you prefer a measure of overall efficiency? Purdy’s passer rating of 107.3 is the best ever for a rookie with 50 or more pass attempts. Or maybe you don’t like raw passer rating (I can’t really fault you). Purdy is also tops all time in rookie Passer Rating Index,1 which adjusts for player era, beating out Marino by 3 points (128 vs. 125). He’s also first in adjusted yards per attempt index, besting Roethlisberger by 1 point (127 to 126).

And Purdy did all of this after being picked dead last in the 2022 draft? Somebody make it make sense.

---stats graphic on site---

Starting the year as the backup quarterback to Jimmy Garoppolo, who was himself the backup to Trey Lance, Purdy’s eventual opportunity was part of a trend that shaped the league in 2022. Sixty-eight quarterbacks started at least one game in 2022 — the second-most starters used in a season in NFL history, according to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group.

Due in part to all the injuries, teams attempted passes at the lowest per-game rate in 13 years, and that lack of passing led to teams posting the fewest passing yards per team game (218.5) over that period. But it wasn’t just passing volume; quarterback efficiency also suffered. Leaguewide adjusted net yards per pass attempt dipped below 6.0 for the first time since 2017, another season notorious for the number of injuries to top QBs.

Yet despite being a third-string, seventh-round talent — just the sort of player you’d expect to contribute to the leaguewide QB slump — Purdy transcended the league’s environment and strung together five games of production that is unprecedented in league history. It’s difficult to overstate just how surprising this is.

As a point of comparison, consider the case of Watson, a quarterback who missed most of the past two years due to a suspension stemming from accusations of sexual misconduct by more than two dozen women. It shouldn’t be surprising for even a formerly elite player to have trouble playing at a high level physically and mentally after a layoff of that length. That makes Watson’s return late in the season a reasonable comp for the hurdles Purdy had to overcome when his number was called.

And while it’s not a perfect comparison — the 49ers defense is superior to that of the Browns, and Kyle Shanahan is a better coach than Kevin Stefanski — it’s pretty clear that coming into the year, most would have bet on the former All-Pro first-rounder putting up better stats than whomever Mr. Irrelevant wound up being.

Instead, over the last five games of the regular season, Purdy bested Watson in every meaningful statistical category.

---stats graphic on site---

Remarkably, Purdy’s YPA, passing touchdowns, TD-to-INT ratio and off-target throw percentage either tied for or led the league over that period. Meanwhile Watson’s 19 sacks — and never forget that sacks are a QB stat — was the highest total in the league over the final five weeks.

All of which is to say that being a quarterback in the NFL is hard, even if Purdy somehow made it look sort of easy. And maybe that’s because, well, it kind of was. There’s evidence on tape that Shanahan did everything he could to make the game as simple as possible for his rookie starter. Purdy’s best plays by EPA came on calls like rollouts, which gave Purdy defined, half-field reads, or on passes to running back Christian McCaffery and tight end George Kittle that featured more yardage after the catch than through the air. There were even wild orbit motion, double-fake passes with a “Y-leak” thrown in that went for scores.

---video on site---

Still, Shanahan’s genius for scheme only explains so much. Eventually Purdy had to stand in the pocket, process the defense past his first read, and deliver the ball downfield on time and on target.

---video on site---

Those are the throws we expect NFL starters to make — throws that teams draft QBs in the first round to execute. The fact that Purdy made them with regularity when the league took 261 players before him is revealing. Not even the 49ers — the team that ultimately took a chance on Purdy (with its ninth selection of the draft) — can escape embarrassment completely. After all, if any QB can run Shanahan’s system, why spend three firsts and a third-round pick to trade up for Lance just a few years ago?

The truth is, no one really knows anything about projecting quarterbacks to the NFL. If they did, Brock Purdy would be impossible. Instead, the Niners are 9.5-point favorites over the Seahawks this weekend with a starting QB who was drafted after four punters and a placekicker. And instead of impossible, Purdy and the Niners somehow appear inevitable.

Check out our latest NFL predictions.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/brock-purdy-was-mr-irrelevant-now-hes-mr-impossible/

Ranking top five Mr. Irrelevant players in NFL history as 49ers' Brock Purdy makes playoff debut vs. Seahawks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...k-purdy-makes-playoff-debut-vs-seahawks/

49ers' Brock Purdy to remain starting QB rest of playoffs even if Jimmy Garoppolo cleared to play, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...my-garoppolo-cleared-to-play-per-report/

Our QB, 230 Mil Guaranteed, theirs on a Mr. Irrelevent, selected dead last in the draft, rookie deal! I get so sick of being a Browns fan when I see things like this. Nothing like that happens here. NOPE. That's why part of me thinks it's likely that DW never does squat on the Browns just because of our failure history. They got a kid that should never have seen the field this year playing like Tom Brady.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/14/23 11:05 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Cardinals at Cincy in nineteen ninety seven, was 2I to 0 until the final minute of the 3rd @uarter, and a comeback to tie at 2I and win in overtime.

T
Legend
Legend
T
How can they get delay of game in a playoff game, in this situation.
the jaguars cut the lead in half, a I3 point lead remains.

T
Legend
Legend
T
OH no, are the Chargers going to fire there DC like the Browns did Woods.

Going for 2 with over ten minutes to play in the game when you just got momentum?
BIG mistake by Doug Pederson.
bad coach stupidity. Just lifted the Chargers spirits, dumb.
a I6 point lead
now ten could have been nine. Way DUMB.

Legend
Legend
Could the jags come all the way back?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Not if the refs have something to say. They have been terrible.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
If any other team got more help from the refs with false calls than Justin Herberts overrated team the last 4 years, it'd have to be the steelers or nobody. Absolutely disgusting.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I agree... don't typically get on the refs, but every call has gone the Chargers way....

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Nobody gets propped up more than Justin =loser =everything for free Herbert.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They don't deserve to b/c they went for two on their last TD.
a. it's dumb
b. it's analytics and bad analytics and
c. analytics loses on gamedays, so they don't deserve to.

Legend
Legend
The Chargers are Brownsing this one up.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Come on jags!!!!!!

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Going for 2 again and making it, Really a BAD call. Again.
he doesn't realize, that even making it, he lifted the chargers spirits again, and gave momentum back to LA.
B/c only desperate teams need to go for 2, in
BOTH of those situations. Hope they win, but they doubly don't deserve to.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Chargers are better than this.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Bosa is right about the tackle moving early. We see that almost every week with Myles. He has to keep his composure.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by jfanent
The Chargers are Brownsing this one up.
The Jags were earlier?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Love seeing the Jags D step up. That's what good DTs and blitzing can do for you. Browns, take note.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T
the Jaguars rushed the snap at 2:0I, didn't need to.

Legend
Legend
WOW!!!!!!

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Chargers fail.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/15/23 12:30 AM.

Legend
Legend
Staley's last call as a Charger's HC is a timeout to ice the kicker after blowing a 27 point lead.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Chargers fail.

Seriously!?!?!?! UP 27-0... AND LOSE!@

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Trevor Lawrence is panning out for Jax.

T
Legend
Legend
T
one point win with a negative 4 or ? turnover ratio. jaguars won.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

What a hilarious choke job. Brandon Staley will be fired. Blowing a 27-0 lead!

Hat tip to the Jags for not quitting and what a wild game to be at for the fans.

Legend
Legend
Wow! Just an amazing 2nd half for the Jags.

They make me 2-0 on my picks so far.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Chargers fail.

Seriously!?!?!?! UP 27-0... AND LOSE!@
HA, I bet that failure on the pass attempt in the end zone from the red zone, up 24 to 0 in the first half, and settleing for a FG might have come back to haunt them. told em.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Credit to Doug Pederson to not hitting the
Panic button at half time and sticking to the gameplan.
The Chargers prove it takes more than elite
Talent to get advance In the playoffs
Talent is a over used word at times.
The Browns have Talent. But where as it got them
In the last 2 years ?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Oh no, don't bunjee jump mascot.

lady died bunjee jumping at super bowl in nineteen ninety seven.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/01/26/Human-error-cited-in-bungee-death/8887854254800/

OH my gosh... bottom right , current,
Robbie Kinevel died. ... frown

Legend
Legend
Chargers with a typical Chargers loss (we know that feeling)

Jags move on.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
At this point, I am approaching this like the "Other Games" regular season threads.

Seattle at SF: Seahawks fought hard in first half. I was surprised they were able to run on SF. Metcalf was ballin. Dumb penalty by Ward at the end of the half and Seattle took the lead. Pete Carroll has done more w/less than probably anyone in the league. SF got hot in the 2nd half. They have so many weapons on offense. It' amazing. Getting Mccaffrey during the season was huge for them. Purdy looked purdy bad in first half, but played well in the second. After the game, Shanny said he gets nervous w/some of his decisions while praising him. SF should win the NFC, but the qb thing could become an issue.

Chargers at Jags: Both coaches had terrible offensive game plans. Why Peterson was passing so much in the first half is a mystery to me. The Chargers run defense stinks. Your asking your qb who is making his first playoff start to win in a pass happy offense? The Chargers did not run Ekeler enough. In the second half, Lawrence got hot and the comeback was remarkable. Of course, Staley was Staley-esque. Totally mismanaged the clock again. Issues a challenge on a play that he clearly had no way of winning, but the timing of it was even worse. It ended up costing his team oa much-needed TO. Furthermore, Lawrence had cut his thumb on the previous play. The Jags medical staff was able to bandage and protect the thumb during the Review delay. I will also add that after the game, Staley was talking about players dropping the ball, not putting the ball where it needed to be, players not being disciplined, running to the wrong holes, etc. He did not mention his and/or his coaching staffs' performance one single time. He's the worst coach in the league. Don't be shocked to see Sean Payton leading the Chargers next year. That team probably has more talent than any team in the league. On the other side, it's a real feel good story for the Jags. Peterson did an excellent job this year, Lawrence developed, and they play the game hard---especially on defense. Very team oriented.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The games yesterday were outstanding, showing what playoff football is all about. Everything seems to be taken to higher level..the intensity, the player's performances, the hitting.

Then I allow myself to imagine if the Browns were in the playoffs...could the Browns players and coaches take their game to higher level..?...or would the Browns simply fold if they got down by a score or two..?

I look forward to the games today and hope that all the Browns players and coaches are watching..allowing themselves to imagine being in a playoff situation a year from now..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2000053 01/15/23 10:10 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A lot of the coaches and players probably don't have to "imagine."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...r-tying-postseason-mark-set-1969-raiders

However, this thread is about the games going on this weekend. You have plenty of other threads to voice your displeasure w/the Browns. How about you stick to the topic of the thread?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
aww LA will have to settle for a fg. that could come back to haunt them.

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
vers...you misinterpret my post in your effort to control what others might have to say about the games.

My post was about the playoff games and belongs right here..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season NFL 2022 Post Season Wild Card Weekend

Link Copied to Clipboard