Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm old enough to remember when "weather games" used to be a thing. Dropped passes were a thing. Supporting cast was a thing. Receivers not getting open were a thing.

That was a long time ago. LOL

Legend
Legend
The good thing is we will not have to guess.

We all will get to see first hand. The bad part is; not till September.

I know for certain. I would not be to fired up if he was not on the Browns. It has been brutal going through quarterbacks. Baker gave me some light. He was like a candle. I wanted it to work. But the candle blew out.

Now I want mega watts full blast.

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lamar hard to win against teams that have young studs like that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One NFL insider believes Watson may never return to form
Jacob Roach
Fri, January 27, 2023 at 11:32 AM EST

Washington Post NFL insider Jason La Canfora joined 92.3 the Fan in Cleveland on Wednesday and discussed several topics including Deshaun Watson. La Canfora believes that Watson’s struggles are mental and that they are beyond football. Pointing out that he had such a great reputation for charity work in the community and that it is all turned upside down likely forever.

They talked about how before the allegations came out most people would have never suspected Watson would do those sorts of actions. La Canfora thinks that it could all be too much and that what you saw in 2022 might be the new normal for the Browns quarterback.

That would be an absolute nightmare for the Browns and would set the franchise back yet again. Will time and another offseason help Watson return to form or will the trade be an even more damaging one, only time will tell.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
I am glad you posted this.

Jason La Canfora is the biggest hack in his profession. He got bounced from NFL Network because he sucks to put it mildly.

He is nothing now but a guy who puts out headlines to attract hits.

So this yo yo is somehow in DW's head? Really?

"La Canfora thinks that it could all be too much and that what you saw in 2022 might be the new normal for the Browns quarterback."
"He thinks." I think he doesn't have a clue.

He somehow knows how DW will perform in 2023? Pray tell.

DW is 27 years old and this nobody has the ability to forecast his career?

Please look elsewhere.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's just another opinion out there - right or wrong. I totally agree with your opinion though, nobody has the ability to forecast his career at this point - good or bad.

Legend
Legend
Would you mind including links with your stories? Half the time I've never heard of the writer / site and would like to go directly to the website.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I posted a link to an article where NFL executives were questioned about a number on different topics.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/24/browns-break-through-exec-survey-2023/

"NFL executives around the league on a wide variety of questions, one of which was which teams would break through in 2023. The Browns, along with the Detroit Lions, received the most votes among those surveyed:"

I would place way more value from NFL executives than Jason La.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Deshaun Watson must sit for deposition in latest civil lawsuit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-for-deposition-in-latest-civil-lawsuit/

Legend
Legend
Thanks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's not out of the realm of possibility that DW's legal troubles are still weighing on his mind. I know it would bother me. I'm not making excuses for him but everyone was talking about him being rusty when he came back and that's a plausible argument but the mental aspect is something to consider too. JMO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree, it has to weigh on him. I also believe him being forced into giving a deposition will not shed any positive light on him. It will throw him front and center in the press and not in a good way. We'll just have to wait and see - looks like he has until around April 10th to comply. Hopefully this doesn't lead to Watson 2.0 this off season.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is fun, huh?

Legend
Legend
Always.

Makes me want to start a Josh Gordon thread.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, but that's only because you're a Holcomb Humper.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Dude played with a broken leg! Now our dudes have to rest through practice all week!

M
Legend
Legend
M
But it was a non-throwing leg. Big deal.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, FATE
E
Legend
Legend
E
Back to the "Trade"

I actually never thought the skill set of DW would be a variable in the evaluation of "The Trade".

All I did say was that he had an incredible 2020 season statistically and that the only thing that bothered me was the team was 4-12 despite his great play.
It sort of backed my claim that DEFENSE wins championships.

What makes the Trade good or bad is the loss of FIRST ROUND PICKS in 3 straight seasons. Last year it was #13 This year it is #12. We could have gotten Jordan Davis my favorite player of the draft. 340 and runs like a TE.
This year at #12 we could get Bresee DT Clemson, Quentin Johnson WR TCU, Paris Johnson OT Ohio State, Lucas Van Ness DE Iowa any one that can be there at number 12. Losing out on these sort of Impact players for 3 years will leave a void and also trying to fill those voids with FA talent will have us in Cap Hell.

Now to top it off I was shocked at how much Watson had negatives. He did not show the skills of seeing the field, he held onto the ball way too long and he took off from the pocket way too soon a big time nono in my book. I expected rust but not that much.

The other thing nobody talks about is the danger of this trade having Watson leave after 5 years the length of the contract. If we do not win and be in the playoffs every year 2023-2026 - why would he staty when he could be a FA again and get another whopping deal with signing bonus and guarantees.

He will not be loved by Browns fans to the degree other QBs would cause of the Sexual misconduct. So I don't know if he would like to make this his home? What would help is if he would get married and have a family that would get fans in his corner again.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Everything you stated is a consideration.

However, there are other ways to look at the trade.

Does defense win championships? Sometimes. If the defense is like the 85 Bears.

KC, Bengals, Eagles, 49er's. The 49er's have the top defense.

KC is the top ranked offense. Number two is the Bengals. The Eagles number three. Bills four. 49er's 6th.

If you can not score and keep up with these teams. Most likely you will not be playing them in the post season.

Yes there is no question that 3 first round picks is a heavy price. However, I think you have to consider Watson in return as a first rounder at least. In addition there were other teams willing to give up the same picks.

Also you have to consider that the Browns decided against resigning BM. If DW went to another team. What would be the cost "to find" another starting quarterback?

IMO looking at a six game sample after 11 games have been played is hardly a adequate sample size. Thrown in his absence from football.

He played 6 games. They won three. The Saints loss was in horrible conditions.

I think given all the factors involved when you look at his performance in six games. What counts is that you see the skills if only sporadically. Because going forward he is the starter. He will have the entire off season to prepare in "his offense." He will not be splitting time. There is no pending suspension.

The only way to really judge "The Trade."

Is if Deshaun Watson wins a Super Bowl with the Browns. If he does that. It was worth it. If he wins more than one? It was worth more and than some.

If he wins a Super Bowl by 2026 he will be 31. I doubt he will go anywhere.

Between now and then maybe he will get married and have kids.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
fill those voids with FA talent will have us in Cap Hell.

EO...I just got done with a post in the thread Browns-news-notes #2 that touched on the subject of Cap-Hell...

IMO, the Browns are already experiencing Cap-Hell ramification as the franchise finds itself in the red by $14.4 million in 2023 and with future projections showing the Browns dead last carrying "the most Cap debt" of the 32 teams and those projection appear to remain for the next 4 seasons.

Hopefully this financial situation is just temporary but until something changes, it appears that the Browns will be forced to pinch pennies.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Defense winning championships is more exception than rule
That's like saying the Beta Max is the still the best way
To view movies
30 of the 52 Super Bowl winners scored over 30 points
I think less than 10 of the past championship teams
That hoisted the trophy scored under 20 points
Want to get to the SB. ? Secure you a franchise QB that
Is great to elite SKILLS and a myriad of offensive weapons

Kinda funny no team that was building for a SB run
Beginning with the draft never said " we need a FRANCHISE LB
or FRANCHISE DE"

if your offense can't put up a average of 26 points a game
Forget about a championship or even playoffs
That Ravens team with Ray Lewis or the 85 Bears
Team, those teams were had very good running games
And special teams to go with those defenses
Did those reams go to the SB the year after....uh no.

The Browns will only go as far as the offense takes them
I predicted before the season started the same thing
And the WR group would be the downfall of the offense

Legend
Legend
The Bengals' selection of Ja'Marr Chase at No. 5 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, otherwise known as the spurning of offensive tackle Penei Sewell, was a watershed moment in the NFL. The Bengals had just lost Burrow to an ACL. Everyone thought they needed a LT to protect their franchise guy.

Chase has proven to be the guy that has gotten the Bengals to be where they are.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A couple of thoughts on the recent conversation.

The trade? I applaud the trade. The Browns did not have a qb and are in a conference loaded w/excellent, young QBs. It was next to impossible in acquiring an elite qb and the Browns won a bidding war w/other teams to get Watson. No, Watson does not guaranteed success for the Browns. But, at least we tried and there is a chance that he does lead us to greater heights. We had NO chance before the trade.

I have a ton of examples of other teams who have made trades for qbs, but I will only list a few for the sake of space and time.

RGIII: Washington gave up 3 1st round picks and 1 2nd rounder. In total, they surrendered 8 players to acquire RGIII. [A side note: Trent Richardson was the 3rd overall pick in the draft after Washington took RGIII.

Jared Goff: Two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, and 2 3rd round picks.

Carson Wentz: Two 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and a 4th.

I don't know about you, but I would rather have a guy who has proven it in the league than a one who has not, provided that the player isn't older. Watson is young.

Contract length: How many QBs have left their teams in FA during their prime? Are there any? Brady left NE a couple of years ago, but he was in his 40s. Who else? I think worrying about Watson bolting after 5 years is a stretch. The Browns will do what they need to do to keep him if he warrants being retained, just like almost every other team who has a true franchise qb.

Holding the Ball/Leaving the Pocket too early: Watson did hold the ball too long this year. We did have a qb who held the ball longer than any other qb in the league and the folks who are complaining about Watson holding the ball refused to acknowledge that fact. In fact, they blamed the OL. I can pull up an OL thread that mac started just last year if one needs a reminder. I won't blame the OL. I admit that Watson held the ball too long this year. It's about the truth rather than agendas. I will say that he did not leave the pocket too early. In fact, I think he stayed in it too long on occasion.

Salary Cap and the Draft: I trust our FO to handle the salary cap. They are extremely intelligent men. I have faith they will do what needs to be done in order to fill out the roster. Hell, they already signed Conklin after some said he was going to be gone. Losing the first round picks is tough, but you just don't have many opportunities to acquire a QB the caliber of Watson. His situation was unique. We got lucky and our owner and FO got the deal done. Leading the league in Cap Room and draft picks never excited me much as I viewed teams that went 1 and 31.

There are no guarantees in the NFL, but I feel better about our chances than I did before the trade. The organization sucked it up and acquired a ton of draft capital and cap space in the infancy of their regime. Now was the time to push the chips to the center of the table and make a real run at cashing out on the greatest prize of all. There are no guarantees that we win big, but at least we now are in the game w/a chance.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I can pull up an OL thread that mac started just last year if one needs a reminder. I won't blame the OL.

Please do...show me what you have ...mac

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think your post proves that you can trade for "an elite QB" - and not get what you thought you were going to get. Wentz and RG3 flashed for maybe 2 years a piece. Goff never did anything in LA - has done better with Detroit.

I think if you went to the organizations and ask if they could have a do over with any of those examples - they probably would. If Watson ends up with similar career performances of any of those QB's you listed the Browns organization failed .... you can applaud the effort to acquire a QB you want/hope to be a top 5 QB in the NFL --- but the actual success of the trade is entirely based on results. If the results are marginally better than the guy he replaced, it was a fail.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
The Bengals' selection of Ja'Marr Chase at No. 5 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft, otherwise known as the spurning of offensive tackle Penei Sewell, was a watershed moment in the NFL. The Bengals had just lost Burrow to an ACL. Everyone thought they needed a LT to protect their franchise guy.

Chase has proven to be the guy that has gotten the Bengals to be where they are.
What's interesting about the Chase selection and overlooked
Is that Jamar Chase and Burrow already had established chemistry.
I'm surprised NFL teams who drafted a QB high since then
Hasn't took a WR from the same university provided their
Is one available
WRs win games RTs don't.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I don't think there is a set rule.

Every draft is different. Every player is different. Each team is in a different situation.

The previous Burrow Chase connection was a coincidence.

In most cases the draft philosophy is take the best player there when you pick.

The Chase pick probably was to a degree based upon Chase and Burrow already having played together. But also I think they determined that even though they had good receivers on the team Chase was a stud. Also, they must have concluded that they wanted to be dominant in the passing game.

It worked.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The point I was making in that portion of my post was that teams gave up all that equity for guys who had done absolutely nothing in the league because they had yet to play an NFL game while Watson has already proven to be an outstanding NFL qb.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Finding elite QB's in the NFL is very hard - what we gave up for Watson is not a high price to land a truly elite QB. We just gotta hope he's still as good as he once was - and that what he once was wasn't inflated or skewed because of the team he played for. Honestly don't think there is too much debate about that - if there is I haven't paid too much attention to it. What we'll find out next season is just how good DW is in 2023. I personally believe no matter how balanced and conservative a person's view point was regards Watson's expected level of play in 2022 after 2 years of not playing - I think he was underwhelming and disappointing thru 6 full games. I'm hopeful for a giant improvement - but I am also a little concerned. You and Bone and others have said - we'll find out. August seems a long way away but it'll be here before we know it.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/29/23 02:57 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And one of the two you mentioned said we'll find out by predicting a 0.005% of failure. That's a bout as close to a sure bet someone could possibly make in a we'll find out scenario.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hell April seems like a long way away.

I go crazy at his time of year waiting for baseball. I don't watch much basketball mostly just playoffs. February is the Super Bowl and that is it. The Combine is ok but hardly. March maybe some of March madness.

My entire focus is for opening day of baseball. I am feeling really good about the Braves and Guardians.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I haven't and don't read every comment on each topic - I missed that one and the context of it. If I was to try and put a percentage on what my head/gut 'predicts' for various levels of play from DW next year it might go something like this:

- 2% chance he plays pretty much like we saw this year.
- 15% chance that he improves but continues to hold the ball too long, struggles to read defenses and is essentially a more athletic with better pocket awareness version of BM .
- Something like a 35% chance he's good, flashes elite but not consistently enough and ends up being a top 11-12 QB, good enough to win a lot of games with but probably not what you gave up all those picks and that contract for
- I think there's a 25% chance that he's as good as ever and depending on what metric you want to go by, he's at the bottom of any list of top 5 or 6 QB in the NFL.
- I think there's a 10% chance he's going to be mentioned in the same breath as Mahomes or Herbert.

There's 13% unaccounted for!! I guess that's to cover all the variations of gray in between those bands.

M
Legend
Legend
M
My kids are young enough that weeks, weekends, months and semesters fly by all too fast. Plus I have a LOT (life changing) going on right now 😁 August gonna be here way too soon ! LOL

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea as it pertains to percentages on what watson will do.. It's going to be whatever it is. I do predict there's a 100% chance some will call it a bust no matter what happens other than multiple championships and a 100% chance some will call it a a worthwhile trade even if the results are pretty limited from the perspective of the teams success.

Not a very bold prediction I know....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Does your butt hurt from sitting on the fence like that?

I have no clue - was just throwing out numbers that maybe align with my feelings/hope/concerns. Nothing empirical - just emotive.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The way things have been with our Browns over the years I'll be happy with ONE Super Bowl victory with DW.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
vers...read the thread..my critique of the Browns OL was based on their performance after 11 games into the 2021 season. I praised the OLine for their performance run blocking and pointed out that the OL was having issues with sacks due to several issues.

Read my posts in the thread...

Last edited by mac; 01/29/23 09:36 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
Does your butt hurt from sitting on the fence like that?

I have no clue - was just throwing out numbers that maybe align with my feelings/hope/concerns. Nothing empirical - just emotive.

What are you talking about!? I gave you two predictions with 100% certainty!

rofl

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Defense wins championships. Too many of you are judging this on STATS. More and more I stand by my observation. Defense wins championships not always means the team must be #1 in all circuits. Bengals got over the hump because the got a defense that could get 3 n outs. What I am saying is a team will win Playoff games not by stats but by the D stepping up at the right time . But you have to have talent to do it. But not in every position The team must play together now sometimes it will be the top 3 defense that dominates. It doesn't have to be #1 I've always said I want a top 3 Defense. But in playoff games the defense must stand up and account for themselves.

Now on the subject of other teams were willing to make a trade for DW. I don't care what other teams do it is what the Browns do/did. Fact is nobody else made that trade - We did.

The kicker is the character issues the trade was bad enough but how many QBs actually sit out a season and demand to be traded, he might of been right or wrong but the fact is he did demand a trade and we got him signed for only 5 seasons 4 actually cause of the suspensionNot the Gung Ho loyalty we are getting. Egg shell walking. All I heard this offseason was OH we cannot fire Ski cause the DW might walk. Hearing that scared me also.

This elite QB is a myth until it becomes a reality and it probably will fingerscrossed but until it happens it is just a myth. worst case scenario it happen the LAST year of his contract so he would become a FA again.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Watson Trade continued

Link Copied to Clipboard