Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Does anyone know if the LB numbers are skewed based on defense in some way....3-4 v 4-3? I doubt it but just wanted to check.

I don't think so. I think they take the salaries of the top 4 or 5 players at each position and then average those numbers. I'm not positive about that, though.

Like you, I'm surprised by the LBers being paid the most. I would have thought DE's or corners would have been the highest paid.

The reasoning behind the difference is because today's linebackers are hybrid corners and hybrid DE's in addition to the standard LB duties. The ability to go sideline to sideline, defend the likes of Kelce or McCaffrey, rush the passer while also being able to take on a guard or tackler coming after you requires some of the most diverse talent in the NFL (when you have them).

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M

It's not just this, but Wilson comes off as a pretentious douche.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
He had a good reputation for quite awhile, but he's tarnished it in the last few years.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Report: Lions to release Michael Brockers
Posted by Charean Williams on February 24, 2023, 12:07 AM EST

The Lions are releasing defensive lineman Michael Brockers in a cost-cutting move that will create $10 million in cap space, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

The sides agreed to part ways Thursday, according to Birkett.

The mutual parting comes two years after the Lions acquired Brockers in a trade with the Rams. He played only 125 defensive snaps — 29 percent of the team’s defensive snaps — in six games in 2022 as the Lions ushered in a youth movement in the defensive line.

Birkett, 32, was the oldest player on the team’s roster.

He now will have to decide whether to continue his career after 11 seasons, and that could be dictated by his free agent market.

The Lions, who have 15 unrestricted free agents, including eight starters, entered Thursday with about $16 million in available cap space.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Wilson is incredibly unlikable. Truly insufferable.

Rodgers is not far behind.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
Wilson denied that ever happened. Which leaves you to decide who you wish to believe.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Check out the age discrepancy and the amount of success each of these QBs have had over their careers. Is Russ really going to listen to Davis Webb?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns are on a fast track to being in the same situation as soon as next year. Coming soon to a Cleveland Browns team near you!

Legend
Legend
This article will fade to black.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...o_incoming_draft_class/s1_13132_38510600

I know some guys who played and coached in the NFL. I worked with three different ex players.

When Mahomes came out after halftime in the Super Bowl. I knew what took place.

Tape does not fix what he was going through when he was injured.

He was on the bench is pain. Could hardly put weight on his foot.

He came back after the half walking fine and not in pain.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for posting. Some people hate on NFL players for trying to make as much money as they possibly can while they're playing, but I say---get it while you can. The NFL will chew you up and spit you out in a heartbeat. Some still believe that NFL players don't deserve guaranteed contracts even though the three other major professional sports have contracts. What good is money that you will never get to see? The NFL is beyond greedy. We see it in almost every move they make.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
[quote=bonefish]

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...o_incoming_draft_class/s1_13132_38510600

Opinions are like...??

I would not trade my experiences on the football field for anything and playing with and through the pain is part of the game.

Some guys are not up to playing the game and I do not look down on anyone who decides that football is not worth the pain.

Last edited by mac; 02/25/23 06:48 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
You played in the NFL?

Legend
Legend
I do not know what the Browns will do with JJ3. He was a good player with the Rams.

IMO he was not very good with the Browns. What I do not know is how Schwartz will view JJ. He may conclude the he was misused in the Wood's scheme.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._top_free_agent_safety/s1_13132_38512100

Bates is a good player. The type of guy who can fit any scheme. I would love to get him.

If he cost a couple million more than JJ; he could be well worth it.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
IMO he was not very good with the Browns. What I do not know is how Schwartz will view JJ. He may conclude the he was misused in the Wood's scheme.

IMO, jj3 seemed to be more interested in extending his NFL career by avoiding contact than he did playing safety for the Browns.

Legend
Legend
I saw his split numbers when I was watching Quincy Carrier.

He posted the snaps played at FS and box and how it differed when he was with the Rams. With the Browns as far as results. The data suggested he was not used the same and it showed in his play. Hard to say what Schwartz will say when he sees the tape.

I saw him get beat in coverage and miss tackles often. Jesse Bates IMO would be an upgrade..

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I saw him get beat in coverage and miss tackles often. Jesse Bates IMO would be an upgrade..

bone...I saw the same performance and can not imagine Schwartz putting up with a half-ased effort from anyone on his defense. Bates would be an improvement, imo.

Legend
Legend
I have always liked Bates. Smart player who is well respected as a leader.

He could be a great move to bring to our locker room.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

If we got the best player at every position, it would be great. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. I don't think we can afford, nor should we want to give, Bates the contract he seems to desire. I just don't think it makes sense with where we're at.

I think Bates is a good player. I think interior DL is where we should do most of our investing, though. Better DL can make the guys behind them look better. There's not really much you can do to make bad DL look better.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree. Bates would be great to have on the team, but that's more of a luxury. Berry will not allocate that kind of money to Bates when the DL is in the shape it is in. It's a move the Browns cannot afford to make.

P
Legend
Legend
P
On the surface form what we have seen I would tend to agree with you. I do wonder with the difference in the run blocking scheme under Schwartz, could it be that some of our current interior DL players be better suited in the double gap technique that Schwartz runs verses the single gap that Woods ran?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
j/c

If we got the best player at every position, it would be great. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. I don't think we can afford, nor should we want to give, Bates the contract he seems to desire. I just don't think it makes sense with where we're at.

I think Bates is a good player. I think interior DL is where we should do most of our investing, though. Better DL can make the guys behind them look better. There's not really much you can do to make bad DL look better.

Bull...I totally agree, signing the best available free agents at every position would be great...but due to the salary cap, it is not possible.

One issue I have brought up at times..."coaches are teachers"...teachers of the game of football. If a franchise focuses on the hire of the "best coaches/teachers",

they should be able to develop their draft and free agent talent to help fill the team needs.

Teams that are best at drafting and developing their talent have an advantage over the rest of the NFL.

Last edited by mac; 02/26/23 03:07 PM.

Legend
Legend
It really comes down to what is done with JJ3.

His money and Bates are not that different maybe a couple mil.

If they decide to move on without JJ3 then someone has to be added. I don't think Ronnie Harrison returns. That leaves D'Anthony Bell and Delpit.

So, there is a need.

In 2023, Johnson will earn a base salary of $8,750,000 and a roster bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,500,000 and a dead cap value of $12,600,000.

He's due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year, which will factor into the decision. If the Browns designate him a June 1 trade or cut, they'll save $9.75 million on the cap with a dead cap hit of only $3.75 million. Jan 27, 2023

Bates was on a one year $12.9 contract. So, it is about negotiation and where it ends up.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
SAY WHAT? The salary cap has a bearing on who the Browns can sign? Imagine that!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
SAY WHAT? The salary cap has a bearing on who the Browns can sign? Imagine that!

It does, but at the same time, using all of it makes sense. You don't get any abiding advantage by not using cap space. It comes down to using it wisely. There's no sense in putting spinners on a rusted out pickup. If you're going to invest a lot somewhere, it makes sense to put it in the thing that makes the whole thing go. In modern football, that seems to be the QB. Complaining about a team spending the most amount of money on the most important position in some way or other in every single thread seems disingenuous and agenda-driven.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Pathetic. Not one person has suggested otherwise. People were exchanging opinions in a civil manner and then jump in and try to start crap. Yet again!

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 02/26/23 05:07 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
j/c

I tend to agree w/you and Milk on this topic. I'm not saying bonefish and others are wrong. We all have our opinions. However, at this current point in time, there are quite a few d-linemen that might be available. I would add DE to a need, as well. I think we could get by w/just adding one DE and then use Wright and probably even Thomas in the rotation. Also, there are also guys available late. I think using FA to address the DL is important this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
It really comes down to what is done with JJ3.

His money and Bates are not that different maybe a couple mil.

If they decide to move on without JJ3 then someone has to be added. I don't think Ronnie Harrison returns. That leaves D'Anthony Bell and Delpit.

So, there is a need.

In 2023, Johnson will earn a base salary of $8,750,000 and a roster bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,500,000 and a dead cap value of $12,600,000.

He's due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year, which will factor into the decision. If the Browns designate him a June 1 trade or cut, they'll save $9.75 million on the cap with a dead cap hit of only $3.75 million. Jan 27, 2023

Bates was on a one year $12.9 contract. So, it is about negotiation and where it ends up.

The safety tag is now ~$14.5M. That's probably the minimum Bates might agree to.

As the top safety hitting the open market, Bates has a good chance of becoming the first player at his position to eclipse the $20 million per year mark and $40 million fully guaranteed, both of which would surpass Los Angeles Chargers safety Derwin James. The Bengals’ reported final offer to Bates included roughly $17 million in guaranteed money.
(link)

I think seeing what Johnson can do with Schwartz makes the most sense. He's been a good player. He's only 27. Hopefully, he'll look better with better play in front of him.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255

Yep...developing your own talent is a heck of a lot cheaper than renting a free agent for a few years.

For Cleveland, it all starts with the talent evaluation by the Browns draft team.

Last edited by mac; 02/26/23 05:18 PM.

1 member likes this: lampdogg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I appreciate your comment but never have I said anything about the money being paid Watson. My issue is and has been the kicking of the can down the road with him and more players than any other team in the NFL. Case in point in reference to your comment, the Browns started out the 2022 season with the most available cap in the entire NFL. Even after signing Conklin to his new deal, they were sitting on nearly 30M in excess cap. They could have very easily used that money to pay a major portion of Watson's year one deal instead of sitting on it. Now, with all the restructures, the Browns are sitting nearly 14M in the hole even after the league increase in cap (one of the largest ever) and the carryover money applied. To get out of this mess and to have some money to play with, the Browns are most likely to restructure Watson again freeing up plenty of cap space in 2023. The drawback is that kicking the can down the road will eventually have to be accounted for and it would appear that after another restructure, Watson's cap hit for each of his final 3 years will be right around 67M per season. Even if Burrow, Jackson, and Herbert get 50M deals per year, the Browns are looking at a cap charge of more than 20M more per season for their QB than any other team since those other teams will certainly have bonus money attached to those deals.

I know certain posters here don't want to hear that or really don't give a crap but prorated bonuses can never be reduced - whatever you allocate to that year is due that year. You can keep adding to it, but you can't reduce it. Another restructure will put Watson's prorated bonus at almost 20M per season in addition to his 46M salary.

The next 2 seasons, the Browns have almost 12M per season in prorated bonus due on Garrett in addition to his salary.

Ward has 7.68M prorated bonus due each of the next 4 seasons in addition to his salary.

Njoku has 3.98M prorated bonus due each of the next 4 seasons in addition to his salary.

Wills salary will go from 3.29M to 15M guaranteed in 2024 if the Browns exercise the 5th year option.

There are 10 more players that also have prorated bonuses greater the 1.2M per season in addition to these players.

Another example is the talk of Chubb being let go or traded next season due to his 16.2M cap hit but what most don't know is the savings would only be 12.2M because no matter what they do, the Browns will have a 4M prorated bonus cap hit for Chubb whether he's here or not.

V
Legend
Legend
V
As one wise board philosopher has explained, talking about the future is an "exercise in future" when there are so many variables.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The future is also built on options which are being eliminated with every such move.

V
Legend
Legend
V
And acquiring free agents is also a possibility this off season. Dismissing it w/an ignorant comment like "an exercise in futility" does not change that.

The craziest thing is that you guys are insulted and take issue w/those of us who don't think everything is doom and gloom and are actually hoping this regime succeeds. On a Browns board, no less. Rooting for the home team makes one a "hater." LOL

It would be cool to meet w/you and we can discuss football if you like. We live pretty close to one another. Let me know.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I always thought Jessie Bates was overrated and the Browns were constantly taking advantage of his misteps.
I hope he stays in Cincinnati for a long time so the Browns can score more touchdowns against that defense when he's on the field.
Nobody would want any part of him in Cleveland.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
so the plan, whoever or whatever the plan, may include getting rid of JJ3 and Ronnie Harrison.

Hmm. b/c I remember when they got rid of Kwan Williams, and whomever the other safety, whether Ward, or, or his replacement that hade a P in his last name, and then? they were in the playoffs every year with their new teams Buffalo, and forty-niners I think.
The point is, the Browns are doubling down on what didn't pan out in the past. same ole thinking? no wonder they...

Well if they don't want to stick with JJ3 and Ronnie Harrison then what are they doing? Fixing what ain't broken?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News-continued

Link Copied to Clipboard