J
To be honest the reason they will not win
Hooper called them out
Hurst called out Watson
The case rests.

Legend
Legend
Darn you sure got me there.

Your case rests. You have made a name for yourself.

Shame on me for any doubts.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
Hooper called them out
Hurst called out Watson
The case rests.

I would have sworn I heard the Perry Mason theme song playing while I was reading this.

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 04/27/23 02:47 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Hooper called them out
Hurst called out Watson
The case rests.

I would have sworn I heard the Perry Mason theme song playing while I was reading this.

I thought it was a dyslexic Haiku with the lines mixed up.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
5 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent, CapCity Dawg
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Nice
But Jordan Davis
Ojabo
George Pickens wr
Round 1 2023 Jason Smith njiba wr osu
Say everything you want but I will be happy to play next years browns
By the way this dyslexic did not like 6 high draft picks for a 79 rating qb.
Thank you have a good day
Trivia question who gets fired first Berry or Stefanski

Legend
Legend
Watson
3.5 wins per year the last 2 years combined.
79.1 qbr in a Browns uniform
0 wins against Burrows
0 wins against Lamar.
Franchise qb

I’m wondering these days how negative fan reaction towards Brownie QB’s has effected all of their statistics.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Background:

I think the Browns had to trade for Watson. As bonefish said in the Lamar thread, the Browns were stuck w/Baker Mayfield and needed an upgrade. I'll add that the team's roster was built to win now and that Baker was in line for a new contract or at least an extension. The QB draft class was terrible. There were a ton of young and stud QBs in their conference, including two in their own division. Multiple teams wanted Watson once the Grand Jury did not indict him. The Browns were desperate and offered the guaranteed contract. The salary cap hell thing is nonsense. Teams have figured out how to work around it. Not sure why our fans are upset about the Haslam's guaranteeing the contract? It doesn't affect the fans at all. I also don't buy that he is going to leave as soon as his contract is up.

A couple of items:

--Watson was a top tier qb before he sat out a year. Again, it was no accident that so many teams wanted him.

--Watson played awful last year. No denying that.

Moving forward:

It's imperative that Watson returns to his elite self for the team to even have a chance. The AFC is loaded w/excellent qbs and teams. I think the Browns could easily make the playoffs in the NFC. However, very few folks talk about the Browns as a legit SB contender in their conference. I don't know if Watson will once again play like an elite qb. I think it's plausible. I do not think he will play as poorly as last year.

I wonder if it will be enough even if he does once again play elite football? The conference is stacked and I still have questions about our receivers and defense. I think it's important for the Browns to make the playoffs in regards to Berry and Stefanski retaining their jobs. I think firing them would be yet another huge mistake because of how we will have to rework the roster. I've seen that movie too many times.

Conclusion:

I believe the Browns made the right move in acquiring Watson. We had no chance w/out him. We now have a chance, but again, the competition in the AFC is fierce. I think a lot of the local media and a substantial percentage of the fan base have been looking for ways to attack the current regime and that spite will only grow larger if the team does not make the playoffs this year. Hell, making the playoffs will still not be enough for some of them. It's a volatile situation.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
It is a volatile situation. As much about the player involved as anything else. And rightfully so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I see a 79 quarterback rating.
Did he pile up numbers throwing to DeAndre Hopkins in his prime yes.
Question if Mayfield put up those numbers at 18 million how many of you would support him?
Question 2 how many qb making 60 million have put a 79 rating?

Legend
Legend
Nice
But Jordan Davis
Ojabo
George Pickens wr
Round 1 2023 Jason Smith njiba wr osu
Say everything you want but I will be happy to play next years browns
By the way this dyslexic did not like 6 high draft picks for a 79 rating qb.
Thank you have a good day
Trivia question who gets fired first Berry or Stefanski
Guess who?

IT was a Jackson.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

A fact consistently left out of the Watson acquisition discussion is what the Browns "may" have done with the bounty of picks given up and the $$$ allocated to one guy / one position. Tab references that quite a bit. It's integral to the discussion, but usually left out for some reason.

Watson is an upgrade over BM (or shall I say should-be)...no one denies that. But to be fair, in BM's last healthy year here...he was the QB of a team that made the playoffs...won a playoff game...and was arguably one Chad Henne, last-minute jailbreak away from going to the AFC Championship game. Not bad for a guy often-described on here as not being able to "take us to the Super Bowl". And that with a usually, sure-handed, possession WR as his #1 and a guy who has been a flake his entire career at #2 and a TE who looked like a fainting goat as soon as he caught the ball.

The move to get Watson was quite ballsy. All the chips were shoved in the middle. Time will tell if it was "worth" it.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
It is going to be interesting But probably we are going to crippled for
A long time.
Teams that started out 5 games in front had better drafts then we did
Zay flowers is going to absolutely torch emerson that will mean we will have to keep safeties
Over the top hence they will run all over us.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think any evaluation of the Watson trade starts with what else we could have had with the picks and $$$ - that SHOULD be defacto. The better and more elite Watson plays the less it may matter (especially to some) because QB is the hardest position to fill with an elite player. But bottom line is results and how far or otherwise we go in the playoffs. Watson being better than Baker is not a metric that really matters .... Browns and KS could easily have moved on from BM and not gone the Watson route.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I continue to watch the Indianapolis Colts. They struggle to get a franchise QB. Their position in the draft takes them out of play for a top-tier QB.

Indianapolis makes a strong statement about how a middle-tier QB handicaps a franchise.

Going forward I would say they are a team to compare against as far as success.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I like to compare the Browns record head to head against
their division,
Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati, along with
the Rams,
The Titans,
the Jaguars and
the Texans as a superdivision measure of success, because of history.

there was once a Cleveland rams name,
there was once a Houston city div. opponent
there was once the titans and jaguars franchises in your division.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
This is the year to judge Watson.... last year he was getting his feet back under him... this year, if he fails, then we can officially saw we're doomed.... I think he comes out guns blazing! I am hoping he has a very good year... gets us back to the playoffs.... and does some damage....

if not... then I'm guessing out FO has some major changes...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bugs
I continue to watch the Indianapolis Colts. They struggle to get a franchise QB. Their position in the draft takes them out of play for a top-tier QB.

Indianapolis makes a strong statement about how a middle-tier QB handicaps a franchise.

I just saw that the Colts plan to start their Rookie QB who has 13 collegiate starts ... thinking they won't be a good team to measure the Browns against. Have to agree that the teams to measure the Browns against are the other teams in the AFC North.

Also wholeheartedly agree that the year to judge Watson on is this year. His performances in Houston do not matter. His performance last year does not matter. That could probably be said for any player anywhere - but it's especially true for Watson for a myriad of reasons. I'm hopeful but the bar is high.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I see a 79 quarterback rating.
Did he pile up numbers throwing to DeAndre Hopkins in his prime yes.
Question if Mayfield put up those numbers at 18 million how many of you would support him?
Question 2 how many qb making 60 million have put a 79 rating?
It's not just a year to get a referendum on Watson,
it's also a year to get a referendum on the offensive coaching, the head coaching, and the gameday coaching as the game unfolds.

And factored in to a @uarterbacks rating is another team on the field every week doing their best to make your team look bad.

No other team faces the Browns road through the AFC North every year, it is uni@uely their own 3 division opponents.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Which is easier to replace without rebuilding?
so Neither, for now.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Nice excellent pist

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by bugs

I just saw that the Colts plan to start their Rookie QB who has 13 collegiate starts ... thinking they won't be a good team to measure the Browns against. Have to agree that the teams to measure the Browns against are the other teams in the AFC North.

Also wholeheartedly agree that the year to judge Watson on is this year. His performances in Houston do not matter. His performance last year does not matter. That could probably be said for any player anywhere - but it's especially true for Watson for a myriad of reasons. I'm hopeful but the bar is high.

No doubt the measurement starts this season. I am not saying you are, but I worry about people saying the bar is high. I often wonder what that means, but it means different things to different people. For some it will always be higher than he achieves.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Let's hope DW regains his form of a few years ago. I think he will or at least come close to it. Either way it will be better than what we had in Baker. The trade had to be made. If DW flops, heaven forbid, we're in trouble and we have him at a high salary for 3 more years. We did draft a QB that has potential that could be developed. We drafted him to be a #2 but maybe for some insurance too? Time will tell.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Part of me feels we need to get to and go a round or two in the play offs as a minimum - that's based on what we have given up for DW and how much we are paying him, and given that a healthy Browns teams did reasonably well in the play offs 2 years before acquiring DW. But there are so many variables and so many changes to our team to other teams that don't stand still from a a talent perspective ... I'm hoping we play well enough to be in contention to reach the playoffs. I think the low side of the bar is set to say we must be competing to make the play offs each of the next two years. I think if we miss the play offs - and/or if Watson is merely a top 15 QB - we'd see a lot of pressure on KS and Berry. And probably rightfully so although the idea of starting over is probably painful for anyone/everyone. KS as a play caller is also going to have a huge impact. I believe he needs to improve, others believe he is a great OC - we'll see. On D I have considerable faith that Schwartz is going to make them competent if not damn good. If we aren't a top 10 defense I'll be mildly surprised. But it's May ... lots can change and happen.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/03/23 08:48 AM.

Legend
Legend
It is understandable why people feel uncertain about DW returning to his standard of playing.

Last impressions leave deep marks.

I can only speak for myself. There was so many factors at play in his return to play the last six games that to me the results were predictable.

The word momentum comes to mind. You watch a game. The game seems to be one sided. Then something happens and the team losing finds a groove. The offense falls into a rhythm. The game changes and the team that was losing takes over and wins.

Last season could not have been more abnormal. DW comes to a new team. A completely different environment with new teammates and coaches. However, he doesn't come to the team like Russell Wilson did. He comes to the new team with a dark cloud over his head. He is publically being being humiliated. He is under trial and has no idea if he will play or be suspended for the season. All of this is being played out while OTA's and training camp is unfolding. Then the suspension comes and he is gone from the team for 11 weeks. Add that he has not played a down in almost two years.

This is all like reverse momentum. If we had been realistic and really looked at this in totality. What did we expect? That after 11 games played with a different quarterback that DW would just get back on his horse and win six games? Really?

A normal season is you are on a team. You know the players and coaches. You know the system. You know the playbook. You practice in OTA's. You practice more in training camp. You get all the first team reps. You have played with these players before. You have built a bank of chemistry through repetition.

Did DW have your normal typical preparation for last season?

History. Look at the career of DW. Every year that he has played football under normal circumstances starting from college. What were the results?

All you have to do is look it up. You can go back and watch every game. All 53 in the NFL and all the games he played in college.

After doing that how do they compare to the last six games?

My expectations are simple really. I base my expectations on his career and discount the last six games because of the circumstances surrounding those games.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
My expectations = the Browns competing in the 2023/2024 playoffs after the regular season...

Hopefully the entire franchise is on the same page when it comes to the expectation for the Cleveland Browns this upcoming season...

Last edited by mac; 05/03/23 11:28 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
No doubt the measurement starts this season. I am not saying you are, but I worry about people saying the bar is high. I often wonder what that means, but it means different things to different people. For some it will always be higher than he achieves.

I would think for most people in the business world it would mean average or above average return on your investment. Considering the number on the guaranteed contract and all of the draft capital investment given that return on investment would set that bar pretty high.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the expectations of fans on a message board have little to do w/reality. I think that the Browns have their own expectations and I hope they meet them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it would be safe to say that the businessman, Haslam, expects a good return on his investment.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
You may want to look at him when he plays against
Lamar
Allen
Mahomes
Wilson.
Predictions nobody in are fantasy league drafted him.
Enough said
Like I said you cannot teach a dog Calculus
Have a nice day really wish you could talk football

Poor form bro. You can’t teach a dawg calculus. Fixed it for ya!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Still have not answered 1 question poor form

Legend
Legend
we need to win at least one playoff game this year..... anything less is failure...

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jaybird
we need to win at least one playoff game this year..... anything less is failure...

+1

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
Playoffs or BUST is how I feel. If they fail that this year, I think I’ll be done with them. Yes, I dislike the DW move that much. If it doesn’t pay off, I’m moving on. I think 50 years of being let down has finally taken it’s toll. I’ve almost lost all interest. And I damn sure don’t feel fanatical about them.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/06/23 01:59 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Playoffs or BUST is how I feel. If they fail that this year, I think I’ll be done with them. Yes, I dislike the DW move that much. If it doesn’t pay off, I’m moving on. I think 50 years of being let down has finally taken it’s toll. I’ve almost lost all interest. And I damn sure don’t feel fanatical about them.

I will always be a fan, but I am near the end of the rope on holding season tickets.

It irritated me the team raised ticket prices this year after last year performance. I think I have figured out the reason they have the odd number of games, every other year it gives owners an excuse to raise prices, claiming the extra home game.

I won't make playoffs the deciding factor, but the team winning games will be a deciding factor. I don't know exactly how many wins that is going to take, but it is more than we have been winning. I'll just have to see how that plays out.

Another factor is if we keep or fire the staff. If we have to make changes, we have been "building" the entire 16 years i have had these tickets. I am not going to shell out $4400 for season tickets for that any longer. I'll just grab a few games off stubbhub or somewhere and come out WAY ahead. Heck, I no longer get up to all the games anyway.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Going through 1-31 was brutal.

A winning season and being in the hunt till the season's end will hold my interest.

I don't enjoy going to events anymore. I don't go to concerts or games. I would love to be able to go to small jazz clubs and hear really good good music in a small place. But that does not exist anymore to my knowledge.

Seats for anything are really expensive but it is more than that. I still love watching the Braves. But unless I was able to get primo seats with a parking pass. Not interested.

The Browns are still my team. I still get excited to see the uniformes on the field. I know I would get jacked if we won the division and made a run to the Super Bowl. If we do ever get into the Super Bowl. We would have to win. Losing in the Super Bowl would be horrible. After waiting all this time. Losing the Super Bowl would be crushing. It's not like you get many shots and my time is moving quickly.

I think we have a competitive team but you never know till you play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No one forces a person to watch, nevermind root for, a NFL team. It's free will. It's not like being born into slavery or as an indentured servant. Personally, I hope a few of these posters do move on from the Browns so we don't have to read their garbage anymore.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
No one forces a person to watch, nevermind root for, a NFL team. It's free will. It's not like being born into slavery or as an indentured servant. Personally, I hope a few of these posters do move on from the Browns so we don't have to read their garbage anymore.

No one forces a person to go to a website...open a forum...or read a post. It's free will.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Right. No one is forcing you to read my posts.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Right. No one is forcing you to read my posts.

Are you telling yourself that no-one is forcing you to read other poster's posts and you are in agreement with WSU? You just repeated WSU and seem to be agreeing with him that reading a post is free will.... this after you just wrote a post complaining about reading "garbage posts" .... ?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Watson Trade continued

Link Copied to Clipboard