Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
P
Legend
Legend
P
GM has always had sources inside the team. Maybe you didn't know that or have forgotten. So I'm going to trust GM. I believe he has more than a clue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Your free to believe whatever you want Mac. I'm only giving everybody the facts.

Last edited by GMdawg; 09/03/23 07:09 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2 members like this: PitDAWG, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I'm saying he never kicked field goals for 30 minutes without making one on that day or any other day he was with the Browns. It didn't happen. I have no clue for sure who is making it up, but somebody sure as hell is. Be it Trotter, or somebody else.

GM...so you admit that you "have no clue"...even though the source is credited to Jake Trotter...

@Jake_Trotter
told us that there was a practice last week where Cade York didn’t make a single kick for 30 minutes

Should Browns fans believe Jake Trotter...or YOU, gm...?

Like I said, if true, that Cade York did not kick a good field goal for a period of 30 minutes of practice, he might be doing his best to punch his ticket out of Cleveland...

I believe GM.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeeeeeeeea…..I believe GM on this and pretty much almost all his posts, especially for the reasons Pit mentioned. Besides he’s always been straight to the point in his posts for a very long time.

Personally that tweet is one I put zero stock into.

Questions:

- 30 mins eh? That’s such a rounded off number. Does that mean at 30 min 1 second he finally made a kick? Who started this timer btw? Was it randomly after so many kicks this person said I’m going to start timing in case he starts missing a bunch in a row.

- how many kicks did he actually kick during this period? Was it rapid fire? Did he take his time between kicks? Was he 0-2 or 0-30? I mean, you’re timing him…why aren’t you counting the misses? That even seems easier to do.

- a big one to me: was Ventrone giving instructions to him? This easily could’ve been a case where they saw something in film or during practice and Bubba was trying to fix a hitch in his movements or follow thru. Practice is just that…working on different things to better yourself for game time.

There are 32 kicking positions available. Teams “might” carry a second kicker on the PS. This isn’t a normal game day backup position.

Cash paid in 2022 he made $1,434,640. His contract was terminated. His base salary was $705,000
He now signed with the Titans for $216,000.

“If” he was trying to get fired, that is one of the dumbest things to do. He took a huge pay cut for such a young player with minimal starting positions.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Whatever York is said to have done, his performance in the Pre-season was poor enough to punch his ticket out of Cleveland.

My source, my own eyes.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: DawgPound75
P
Legend
Legend
P
At least you've boiled it down to a known and not speculation. He certainly needed to be replaced if that's the point you have been trying to make.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
[quote=ScottPlayersFacemask]Yeeeeeeeea…..I believe GM on this and pretty much almost all his posts, especially for the reasons Pit mentioned. Besides he’s always been straight to the point in his posts for a very long time.

Personally that tweet is one I put zero stock into.

Questions:

- 30 mins eh? That’s such a rounded off number. Does that mean at 30 min 1 second he finally made a kick? Who started this timer btw? Was it randomly after so many kicks this person said I’m going to start timing in case he starts missing a bunch in a row.

- how many kicks did he actually kick during this period? Was it rapid fire? Did he take his time between kicks? Was he 0-2 or 0-30? I mean, you’re timing him…why aren’t you counting the misses? That even seems easier to do.

- a big one to me: was Ventrone giving instructions to him? This easily could’ve been a case where they saw something in film or during practice and Bubba was trying to fix a hitch in his movements or follow thru. Practice is just that…working on different things to better yourself for game time.]

I agree with your points. It just seems odd and the claim of, "I don't think he made a kick for 30 minutes", sounds so vague and made up.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, it was a really odd tweet. Especially coming from Trotter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[video:youtube]
[/video]

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/06/23 02:47 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Good to hear a report from him.

I have high expectations fro the defense.

Legend
Legend
Ward back at practice but Stefanski says he is still in protocol.

Teller restructured for 9.1 million freed up. Per Field Yates

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We've rolled over so much cap space lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
We've rolled over so much cap space lol

Going to keep the window open as long as possible.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Jimmy is willing to spend the money up front, it makes sense to do it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
yeah I agree

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Starting Free Safety Thornhill did not practice Thursday due to a calf injury. 50/50 he misses the game on Sunday.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
we need all the secondary help we can get this game

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Browns defense is committed to coming together off the field, and it's already paying off
Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal

CLEVELAND — As Anthony Walker Jr. sought one last bonding experience before the Browns began the 2023 season, the proverbial light bulb went off for the linebacker and captain.

Instead of each position group gathering for a separate dinner, a common practice among Browns players, Walker thought the entire defense should meet and watch “Thursday Night Football.” The idea came to fruition when the defensive players rendezvoused at Marble Room Steaks and Raw Bar in downtown Cleveland, enjoyed a meal and watched the Detroit Lions upset the Kansas City Chiefs.

“You never want to take that camaraderie building for granted,” Walker told the Beacon Journal.

Did the defense deciding to indulge in fine dining lead to its dominant performance in Sunday's season-opening, 24-3 win over the AFC North rival Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns Stadium?

Let's not get carried away.

But has the defense taken steps to ensure the players are developing the trust and chemistry needed to capitalize on their talents?

There are reasons to believe the answer is yes.

“I think that's what it was all about,” Walker said. “That's what I wanted to get. Obviously, we've got to keep doing it. It's not ever going to be a finished product until we win the Super Bowl.”

Overreactions are rampant after Week 1 in the NFL, so it's important to remember it's too early to know whether the Browns have a franchise-changing defense with new Cleveland coordinator Jim Schwartz at the controls.

The first impression could not have been stronger, though, and it resulted in the Browns winning a season opener at home for the first time since 2004.

The Browns held the Bengals to 142 yards of offense (75 rushing and 67 passing), six first downs and a 13.3% third-down conversion rate (2 of 15). The Bengals punted 10 times and never reached the red zone.

Bengals star quarterback Joe Burrow went 14-of-31 passing (45.2%) for 82 yards without a touchdown or an interception and posted a career-low rating of 52.2. He absorbed two sacks and 10 quarterback hits.

The Bengals lamented poor communication on offense, and Burrow said missing training camp because of a strained calf causes such breakdowns.

Rain on Cleveland's lakefront didn't help either quarterback — the Browns' Deshaun Watson went 16-of-29 passing (55.2%) for 154 yards and a touchdown with an interception for a rating of 67.3 but masked some of his woes by rushing five times for 45 yards, including a 13-yard TD.

Some Browns players were fired up about Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase's “Cleveland is Cleveland” and "the elves" trash talk last week.

Yet, the truth is the schemes and strategies devised by Schwartz and execution of his defenders proved to be the main reasons the Bengals struggled so mightily.

The Browns blitzed Burrow on 53% of his drop backs in the first half, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Walker said he couldn't recall blitzing at any point in his career as much as the Browns did in Schwartz's regular-season debut as their defensive coordinator.

Defensive ends Myles Garrett, Za'Darius Smith and Ogbo Okoronkwo and defensive tackles Dalvin Tomlinson, Shelby Harris and Jordan Elliott moved around to create matchup issues. At times, Garrett lined up in front of the center in a two-point stance.

“It was really fun just to see the O-linemen confused and not knowing who was going where,” Okoronkwo said. “It worked out exactly how Coach Schwartz said. So we listen to Coach Schwartz, and in Coach Schwartz we trust.”

Garrett and Okoronkwo each had a sack, with Garrett's causing a game-clinching turnover on downs with 10:27 left in the fourth quarter. Garrett and Smith had four quarterback hits apiece, with several Browns defenders saying Smith knocking down Burrow on the first play from scrimmage set the tone for the game.

“I see Burrow on the ground,” Garrett recalled. “I'm thinking, 'Who the hell?' I see Z, and he's got that big, old grin. I'm like, 'Oh, I can't wait to get there myself. He's already set the tempo for the game.'”

The defensive backs held up their end of the bargain, winning many battles on 50-50 balls thrown by Burrow and making sure the pass rush and coverage complemented one another.

“That's like Kobe-Shaq,” said safety Grant Delpit, who likely played his best game since entering the NFL as a second-round draft pick in 2020.

The secondary limited the Bengals' dynamic trio of receivers — Chase (five catches on nine targets for 39 yards), Tyler Boyd (two catches on three targets for 10 yards) and Tee Higgins (zero catches on eight targets for no yards) — to virtually nothing despite Browns starting safety Juan Thornhill missing the game with a calf injury.

“We wanted to establish our identity today. I think we sent a loud message across the division, across the league and what they can look forward to from this Cleveland defense this year,” said Rodney McLeod, who started at safety in place of Thornhill.

The Browns have had a talented roster for years, but it hasn't translated to the field frequently enough. Cohesion has been missing far too often.

“When you have all that talent, everybody wants to make plays,” cornerback Greg Newsome II told the Beacon Journal. “And on every play, someone has to sacrifice.

“When you can trust somebody on a more personal level, you're willing to do more out there to sacrifice your body for those players. So I think that definitely shows where we're at together, and we've just got to continue to keep doing it.”

It's why Newsome and Walker explained they view the whole defense hanging out Thursday night as a significant development and a continuation of what the Browns started to create when they spent nine days and eight practices of training camp at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

“It's only you, football and your teammates,” Walker said.

Garrett accurately stated the Browns must continue to prove the “hype is real” surrounding their defense.

“It's only one,” Walker said. “We don't want to overdo it, but it's a huge one.

“You see the potential. We see how good we can be.”

The ingredients of an elite defense are there for all to see.

The Browns will need the right mix of personalities and leadership qualities throughout this season to keep them from going to waste.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...-myles-garrett-grant-delpit/70816613007/

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Liked story, like humble Defense stating obvious- ONE GAME- stay humble and hungry. The O- one game/in the rain- best- Nick was Nick, worst- fumble early- same old Browns, second best- 3/3 FGs, super. On to Pittsburgh- give them NO smack talk, they will be hair on fire due to their loss and Browns win. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
There you have it. Now we lose on Monday.

Tackles are tackles.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

This is why there should be no NCAA football polls until week 5 or 6.

Legend
Legend
I wish analysts would keep our name quiet for a few more weeks or months haha. It doesn't do any good

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's always hated on us when we suck and praised us when we are good.

We just have to live up t the hype

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The commentators have to "earn their money"- sample size of one- enough said/typed. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M
Week 3 is already up on DraftKings and it's Browns -4.5 over Titans.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Week 3 is already up on DraftKings and it's Browns -4.5 over Titans.
The Titans are a weird team. They will play physical and tough, but don't have a lot of firepower

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
5 members like this: jfanent, ScottPlayersFacemask, FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Good stuff Bull, thanks for sharing...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just watched today's presser; Chubb, Watson, Jones, and Walker.

Nick is clearly uncomfortable talking about himself.
DW was wearing his usual knit cap, this one with Brownie the elf front and center. (Aside, it's a brownie, not an elf. It's a similar but different mythical creature. Making it an elf named Brownie is a compromise.)
Dewand Jones if really friggin big. He appears humble. That may wear off, but I aways appreciate humility.
AWalk carries himself like a leader. I understand the respect his teammates show for him.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I love Gregg Williams. I love how blunt he is about everything.

Talking about being called for the HC interview (early morning, New Years Day), he asked Dorsey... "Am I just here so you can ask me a bunch of stupid questions you already know the answer to?". 🤣

His outlook was simple. If he's the HC, he's in charge, everyone else can just stay in their lane. If you want him to answer to someone else -- he'd just as soon be a coordinator.

Dorsey didn't want to answer to Gregg... Freddie was a yes man. John and Jimmah both like yes men.

He said he thinks the world of Paul DePodesta, "he's a very, very intelligent man". Says he's just another piece in the puzzle. "It's my fault if I don't understand what Paul is bringing to the table." "He's very useful in helping you do your job."

Cool interview, thanks for posting. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Deshaun Watson prefers grass to turf

It's why he chose Cleveland, obviously.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

New Browns video production called Sideline to Sideline...

Legend
Legend
From the article...

Jim Schwartz wants Browns defense to 'bring that swag'

The Browns defense didn't need another reason to talk on the field. However, new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz provided it by essentially establishing a system that penalizes players for not showing emotion and celebrating big plays.

"It’s the standard, man," Emerson said. "He actually has a system where if you don't celebrate after you make a play or celebrate with your teammate, it's a loaf. So he wanted to celebrate our great plays and just bring that swag and passion to have fun."

There's a viral video on social media showing defensive end Myles Garrett lining up in a two-point stance over the middle of the Bengals offensive line. While Garrett is waiting for the snap, he's clearly mimicking dribbling a basketball between his legs before rushing Burrow at the snap.

Those kinds of things are all part of what Emerson said is a Schwartz defensive mindset.

"Passion, effort and swag," Emerson said. "Three words I can break it down. Passion, effort and swag. That's the idea. Have fun, play fast, play physical, play together."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Bull_Dawg
Legend
Legend
This talented defense loves them some Jim Schwartz.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
I love Gregg Williams. I love how blunt he is about everything.

Cool interview, thanks for posting. thumbsup

It is a cool interview - but I can't decide if Williams is full of bluster and peddling an agenda - or if he's spitting out the unfettered truth. Certainly his comments about Baker being an escape goat was a direct slap at Stefanski. I do believe the comments about reducing the pass protections when he took over and I guess I should go check sack/pressure numbers in those early games after he took over.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The bottom line for Browns 2018 season...

Coach: Hue Jackson (2-5-1) and Gregg Williams (5-3-0)

Obviously the Browns brass were not impressed with Williams as a potential HC who produced winning record...as Williams hinted that the Browns brass, John (Dorsey) and Jim (Haslam) wanted a HC they could control, meaning Williams, who could not be controlled was never going to get the HC job.

This brief look at the inside workings of the 2018 Browns brass is not surprising to me...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think it surprised anybody. Haslam gave Dorsey the reins, and Dorsey is who wanted a yes man. In a way, Haslam was a yes man himself by saying yes to Freddie and not pressing Dorsey on the hire.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Obviously the Browns brass were not impressed with Williams as a potential HC who produced winning record...

Obviously, neither were the 31 other teams in the NFL. His entire NFL career after leaving the Browns consists of being fired after a partial season as the Jets DC.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard