Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Legend
Legend
remember when Williams said he had multiple teams trying to interview him lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't think it surprised anybody. Haslam gave Dorsey the reins, and Dorsey is who wanted a yes man. In a way, Haslam was a yes man himself by saying yes to Freddie and not pressing Dorsey on the hire.

Peen listen for yourself, beginning at the 16:58 mark, Williams notes that there were things going on behind the scenes and he names John (Dorsey) and Jim (Haslam), noting that Jim, the owner, he's involved in all kinds of things.

Link

I believe Williams clearly names TWO individuals who preferred to hire a yes man HC (jmo)

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
remember when Williams said he had multiple teams trying to interview him lol

He may have. But again, lots of teams are looking for yes men. It is largely (entirely?) billionaires making hiring decisions. They aren't used to being told no.

To me, it is not hard to believe teams were intrigued by his ability to "turn around" the Browns during his interim HC stint. It is also not a surprise to me that his bluntness didn't go very far with owners.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
Certainly his comments about Baker being an escape goat was a direct slap at Stefanski.

It is odd how a message like that is received totally dependent upon who it is that made the comment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It is a cool interview - but I can't decide if Williams is full of bluster and peddling an agenda - or if he's spitting out the unfettered truth.
That's kinda always how I've felt about him.

Certainly his comments about Baker being an escape goat was a direct slap at Stefanski. I do believe the comments about reducing the pass protections when he took over and I guess I should go check sack/pressure numbers in those early games after he took over.

Can someone provide a quote of what Williams said, or at least the timestamp of when in the interview he said it? I tried to listen, but could get it to hold my attention.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DT Siaki Ika in a walking boot today - no info on the seriousness of injury.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
It is a cool interview - but I can't decide if Williams is full of bluster and peddling an agenda - or if he's spitting out the unfettered truth.
That's kinda always how I've felt about him.

Certainly his comments about Baker being an escape goat was a direct slap at Stefanski. I do believe the comments about reducing the pass protections when he took over and I guess I should go check sack/pressure numbers in those early games after he took over.

Can someone provide a quote of what Williams said, or at least the timestamp of when in the interview he said it? I tried to listen, but could get it to hold my attention.

If it were easy to quote, I would. Dude rambles a bunch of half sentences at that point.

That segment starts at 12:27

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

He's talking about his impact on the offense during his time as interim HC - talks about reducing the number of pass protection calls, talks about telling Kitchens at the begining of drives when and how far he needs to be to go for it on 4th downs and telling Baker to get rid of the ball faster etc. Then says he loved Baker - the interview asks what went wrong with him in CLE and that's when Williams goes on to say how coaches needed a scape goat and someone to blame. It's a very direct and explicit criticism of Stefanski. There's no other way to interpret it.

He then goes on to talk about Dorsey and Haslam wanting yes men under them. Talks about the hierachy a bit - sugggests that an experienced HC needs to have the GM report to them. Says Podesta is super smart but analytics is just part of the decision making process. He loves Schwartz and couldn't gush over Schwartz enough. Finally says Deshaun needs to get back to being comfortable and be what he was. Says Stefanski needs to identity what Watson can do. A mention of how good Chubb is.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I walked away from that interview with a clear understanding of why Williams is unemployed. He's certainly the type to wear out his welcome quickly and it's hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't think it surprised anybody. Haslam gave Dorsey the reins, and Dorsey is who wanted a yes man. In a way, Haslam was a yes man himself by saying yes to Freddie and not pressing Dorsey on the hire.

Peen listen for yourself, beginning at the 16:58 mark, Williams notes that there were things going on behind the scenes and he names John (Dorsey) and Jim (Haslam), noting that Jim, the owner, he's involved in all kinds of things.

Link

I believe Williams clearly names TWO individuals who preferred to hire a yes man HC (jmo)

Right, and I named both of them. Freddie was Dorseys choice. Jimmy agreed with Dorseys choice.

At least you didn't say something about DePodesta being the Oz behind the curtain, pulling all the levers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I walked away from that interview with a clear understanding of why Williams is unemployed. He's certainly the type to wear out his welcome quickly and it's hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Exactly.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt he can have an abrasive personality. Generally, that isn't a personality that works well in upper management.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Or with people, in general.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Report is Cooper tweaked hamstring at practice and now is questionable for Monday's game.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's his groin, not his hamstring.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
One Year ago, in week number 2

The Browns lost a game that they had won if only the Browns rb had gone down inside the I0, so they could have taken 3 knees b/c the Jets didn't have any timeouts
what happened,

the Browns scored, went up 30 to seventeen? with under 2 min to play in the game,
and the opponent
scored on a long throw,
and recoverd their onside kick
and scored again, both touchdowns to win 3I to 30 over the Browns

to deny the Browns from beginning with a 2 and 0 record, in 2022.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Cooper will be out until after the bye IMO. We will need Tillman, Moore, and DPJ to step up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Coop will be out several weeks? Are you sure about that?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Coop will be out several weeks? Are you sure about that?
No, that's why I said "IMO" ... he's had soft tissue stuff in the past and we have a week 5 bye, so I'm just doing some math

M
Legend
Legend
M
He certainly wants to take a lot of credit for a lot of stuff. Some of it might be authentic - he has done decently as a disgraced former DC. He did phenominal as an interim HC. The coaches around him as the interim HC have amounted to sweet FA elsewhere - the QB was someone you think poorly of ... so somewhere there is a little kudos earned/due. But yeah - I wouldn't buy a car or house off the guy and would take everything with a grain of salt.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/17/23 09:11 AM.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think he did a really nice job as the interim. We also had a very easy schedule that year. But he did a nice job.

I just don't think his personality is sustainable in an environment over a period of time.

If he was easier to get along with my guess is he would be employed. He's a good DC.

But I listened to that interview and my first thought was I wouldn't enjoy being around that guy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Like I said. He has an abrasive personality, and that doesn't often work in the top floor offices unless it's "The" office.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
j/c

I think his involvement in bounty gate probably made him a tough hire ... and his personality can wear thin, especially without a lot of wins.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nah. Watching the people sought after and signed to big contracts these days, Bounty Gate was a walk in the park.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
every time you see the Whole Browns team dance,
the hopes for the year end, immediately.

Jarvis Landry lead a dance, in 202I?, and then the year went bad,

then tonight,

the all danced,
needlessly, and then...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
We will.see if it's true or not...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by DaveyD
We will.see if it's true or not...

It almost seems it was going to happen, Hunt turned down some offers I believe

He must of been hoping to come back to the Browns

It's an unfortunate circumstance on how he did, if true

Will wish him the best and hope he can help the team win

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I mean, I'm not gonna be mad if we resign Hunt.

L
Legend
Legend
L
A lot worse options and not too many better free ones if any

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-statistical-review-week-2-team-tiers-dropback-outcomes-2023

This has some really interesting charts that paint a very accurate picture of what we've seen in 2 games so far. Very interesting. Having played a Bengals team that didn't seem like they were going at full speed yet and a weak Pit team, I expect the defense to regress a litttle from where they are at the moment statistically and in comp to the rest of the NFL ... but they are definitely a stand out at the moment, rushing and passing.

Legend
Legend
our defense is dynamite, especially with health at all three levels. I'm not worried about that unit at all, even if there is some regression.

O
Legend
Legend
O
our defense is dynamite, especially with health at all three levels. I'm not worried about that unit at all, even if there is some regression.

The only thing I'm worried about is health. We started to get really dinged up.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

The only thing I'm worried about is health. We started to get really dinged up.
yeah that's going to be an issue for Ward, Delpit, Newsome, etc

M
Legend
Legend
M

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 09/20/23 10:19 AM.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
well, it's probably all we can do honestly. Nobody else can hit the ground running faster with the offense

O
Legend
Legend
O
well, it's probably all we can do honestly. Nobody else can hit the ground running faster with the offense

I'm glad Hunt is back. I don't know what was going on last year. Dude took a STEEP dive performance-wise. I know he's aged a bit since his rookie year, but I don't think he's got that many miles.

I'm hopeful the extended off-season helped freshen up his legs a little bit. He's (usually) fun to watch on the field and he seems like a really likable dude who's turned his life around.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hopefully Hunt is in good football shape and ready to go. But I expect him to be idle this week and maybe next, while getting his body ready. I wonder if he will split duties, be RB2, or RB1? I expect Ford to continue getting RB1 carries as he seems to be in the future plans at this point.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you're actively seeking to be signed in the NFL as a FA one would think he would have kept in shape. I don't think that will be an issue.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
If you're actively seeking to be signed in the NFL as a FA one would think he would have kept in shape. I don't think that will be an issue.

there is a huge difference between being in shape and being in "NFL" shape. It will take him a few weeks to get back into NFL shape

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard