Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
j/c:
Nick Chubb future status means Browns should trade for Jonathan Taylor

I want to see more of Strong (and Hunt) before I go there....

Hunt is done and Strong is not a every down back.

JMHO: I think Taylor could still get 100 yards a game.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c…

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c…

Seriously just shut him down this week against SF. It's not like this team is going to do anything against that machine anyway. But PLEASE do not send out DTR. If Stefanski does that, he should be FIRED immediately after the game ends. Period.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Uh... then who is he sending out? DTR is the backup.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
not good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c…

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Bitonio, Piocic, ans Njoku as well.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
just imagine DTR against San Francisco HAHAHA

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
just imagine DTR against San Francisco HAHAHA

If the defense that played the Ravens shows up, it won't matter which QB we trot out there. I don't think either QB is good enough to put up 28 on the 49ers.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
no doubt. It would be a 42-0 game

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Uh... then who is he sending out? DTR is the backup.

That would be PJ Walker
Currently on our practice squad

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Legend
Legend
O
What I'm saying is....

So a guy that (IIRC) was available for anyone to sign all off-season and just recently signed to our PS is going to fare so much better than our guy who won the backup job in camp?

That may sound snarkier than I want. I'm just saying that if that's the case then it doesn't reflect too well on a number of things.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
What I'm saying is....

So a guy that (IIRC) was available for anyone to sign all off-season and just recently signed to our PS is going to fare so much better than our guy who won the backup job in camp?

That may sound snarkier than I want. I'm just saying that if that's the case then it doesn't reflect too well on a number of things.

Better? Probably not a ton. But we probably don't need to worry as much about potentially "breaking him." Or, at least we don't have as much invested in him if it so happens that he does get broken by the 49ers. Plus, I think PJ Walker is "Temple Tough." (little bit /purple on that last bit)

In his first start, DTR did much more sinking than swimming. Maybe he figured out how to better stay afloat, maybe not. Hard to tell from the outside. If he still isn't ready to swim on his own, we probably shouldn't throw him into the deep end. Probably not the best analogy. Maybe more you have to teach a SERE swimmer (Search and Rescue--already a good swimmer) how to survive in a storm before you can expect them to save other people, too. DTR might still be in that middle phase. Maybe he's figured it out now. Walker might not be as naturally talented, but at least he's been in the league long enough to complete "SERE school."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For the record , I have not weighed in my opinion on the matter of DTR vs Walker.
I was just providing information to answer your question.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Lovely. I don't think that will help the line play better.

Then again, maybe the injury was why it wasn't playing so well in the first place.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
my vote would be for Walker

2nd String
2nd String
Walker has to be better than DTR right?...Lol!

Legend
Legend
you would think

M
Legend
Legend
M

Bitonio related is my guess.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Our OL has quickly gone from a strength to a concern. Maybe having a better LT fixes the issues of our interior play, but I don't know

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Not good news when you’re retooling the OLine during the season. We knew Wills wasn’t playing well last season. We knew Conklin is injury prone yet we didn’t try to get any veteran players to back them up. We didn’t pay as much attention to the OLine this season the way we didn’t address the DLine the previous offseason. Same mistake but at a different position group. Not good!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Not good news when you’re retooling the OLine during the season. We knew Wills wasn’t playing well last season. We knew Conklin is injury prone yet we didn’t try to get any veteran players to back them up. We didn’t pay as much attention to the OLine this season the way we didn’t address the DLine the previous offseason. Same mistake but at a different position group. Not good!!!

The problem last year was that our starters on the (interior) DL were bad. On the other hand, this season we have about the most expensive OL in the league, and on paper it was good. Unlike DL, who rotate players through, you want your OL to be the same 5 guys the whole season through.

Doesn't really seem like the same mistake to me.

Unfortunately, there aren't Pro Bowl linemen sitting around wanting to be underpaid Browns backups. We drafted 2 OL and brought in a former 1st rounder as a project on the PS. We kept last year's projected starting center as a backup. Injuries happen, and there aren't enough good OLinemen for some teams to even have decent starters. There's only so much teams can do. Good OL are hard to find. Frankly, the job kind of sucks. Put at a disadvantage on most plays, and mostly only get your name called when something goes wrong.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
as we see around the NFL, you have no team if your lines are bad ... last year our DL was bad, and this year our OL is bad

M
Legend
Legend
M
as we see around the NFL, you have no team if your lines are bad ... last year our DL was bad, and this year our OL is bad

I don't think they are bad but I don't think they are healthy.

We lost Conklin.
Bitonio is on crutches and who knows if its been something beyond just a week that he has been dealing with it.
Piocic has been battling an injury and left a game (more than once?)
Who knows....maybe Teller is still dealing with something from his injury last year??

If Bitonio doesn't go Sunday, would Nick Harris go in? Michael Dunn?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I would prefer Dunn to Harris .. but, obviously neither is good against SF lol

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

LOL, surely you jest! The biggest glaring weakness on the o-line is Wills and has been Wills for the last 3 seasons (current included). Bitonio, in his defense, spends half his time covering for Wills so Watson doesn't get broke in two.

There are clearly other issues with the offense besides just the line. First and foremost, the Browns continue to award contracts to players underserving. Secondly, after 4-games and nearly 25% of the season gone, the Browns have players performing at the bottom of the league for their position.

Just a snapshot of how some are playing thru 5 weeks of the season:

LT Wills, 45.4 PFF Grade, Rank of 66th out of 72 tackles ranked - just given his 5th year option fully guaranteed of 14.124M.
TE Njoku, 56.2 PFF Grade, Rank of 40th out of 68 TE's ranked - given a new contract that pays him a APY of $13,687,500
TE Bryant, 61.1 PFF Grade, Rank of 31st out of 68 TE's ranked - final year of contract 1.010M (outperforming Njoku and making 12.6M less)
WR Moore, 59.1 PFF Grade, Rank of 75th out of 110 WR's ranked
WR DPJ, 52.8 PFF Grade, Rank of 97th out of 110 WR's ranked - final year of contract
QB Watson, 68.7 PFF Grade, Rank of 18th out of 33 QB's ranked - 46M per season
RB Ford, 64.8 PFF Grade, Rank of 33rd out of 53 RB's ranked 

None of the above players are playing close to the level of expectation. Some of these players have multiple seasons of underperformance like the above.

Add in the fact that Bitonio, Teller, Cooper have slipped some from their normal grades - we have a rookie RT trying to fill some pretty big shoes on the OL - the Browns have an offense that is grossly underachieving. There's more wrong with the offense than some will admit and let's not forget that Stefanski has a whole lot to do with this underachievement and the old "Kubiak Offense" he continues to deploy.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
well I think he's insinuating that Bitonio is injured

M
Legend
Legend
M
well I think he's insinuating that Bitonio is injured

I was just going to let him run with it. He put a lot of time into that post!

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, I missed that and it certainly is very bad news if Bitonio is out. My bad, but it still doesn't change anything with Wills. I wonder if these o-line issues have anything to do with Watson not practicing, hmmmm.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B

It's more about looking to trade FOR a lineman. Not trade one.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
was the bruised rotator cuff reported last week? it seems like the phrase "rotator cuff" has suddenly been included

Legend
Legend
I don't believe so. Seems like some strange injury reports this year around the league.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
The specifics as to what his injury was didn't seem to be reported last week as far as I know. Now it has been. Not everything is a conspiracy theory. Well I guess these days it is. But not every conspiracy theory has merit.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Last week they reported fluid around the rotator cuff.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
was the bruised rotator cuff reported last week? it seems like the phrase "rotator cuff" has suddenly been included

During the CBS broadcast of the game, Evan Washburn reported that Watson told him he had fluid buildup around his rotator cuff making it painful to drive the ball.

The Browns organization never mentioned rotator cuff, they only said shoulder bruise/contusion.

Legend
Legend
Okay thanks guys ... I didn't remember

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Last edited by Milk Man; 10/10/23 01:36 PM. Reason: Memphis w/ the quicker internet.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Continued…

Link Copied to Clipboard