Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
HOWEVER, Stefanski *IS* the Head Coach, so as much as it falls on Woods, it also falls on Stefanski since the Captain is responsible for everything that happens on his ship. That is the situation he has chosen.

So by that very same logic, does that mean you're also giving Stefanski credit for the Browns having the #1 defense this year? Or are you blaming him for Woods performance and not giving him credit for Schwartz?

A question I want to ask the posters who claim that both Berry and KS are incompetent is; if they are that bad, we must have the worst talent and equally worst coaching. How in God's name are we 4-2 with no talent and can't coach.
Mostly schwartz, and having a few zebra's on the payroll is paying dividends

Excellent insight. I can rest easy now that I understand the inner workings of those who feel both the front office and head coach are incompetent. Any insider info on how much we had to pay those refs?

more than in years past apparently

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

typical reactive FO bs.. Walker is the worst QB in the league for his two starts.. I guess we will have to wait until walker loses a few games and then we'll sign some FA that hasn't played this year and by then it will be too late anyways.. thats kind of how Berry likes to work it appears. punt whole seasons because you don't want to spend money/picks. Yet throw the future away for Spergon Wynn 2.0 and 3.0

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

3 members like this: FORTBROWNFAN, JimDawg, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
congrats Myles and Dustin

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Koo winning STPOW over hopkins is just trash.. dude did not have a better game nor was his impact greater..

L
Legend
Legend
L
Further info on this, the reason this happened was because we already used all the PS elevations for him, have a max of 3 per player

Legend
Legend

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

typical reactive FO bs.. Walker is the worst QB in the league for his two starts.. I guess we will have to wait until walker loses a few games and then we'll sign some FA that hasn't played this year and by then it will be too late anyways.. thats kind of how Berry likes to work it appears. punt whole seasons because you don't want to spend money/picks. Yet throw the future away for Spergon Wynn 2.0 and 3.0

Meh, he may be Jacoby Brissett without the offseason of practice. Brissett had some ugly games for us, too, and he had a lot more time to get ready. I'm not sure the talent is really all that different between Walker and Brissett. On the other hand, one has a much higher price tag. Brissett is likely better, but without Chubb and/or a dominant running game, I doubt he would have been as successful last season.

Then again, Walker has been really bad. Hopefully he improves with more time/reps.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Meh, he may be Jacoby Brissett without the offseason of practice. Brissett had some ugly games for us, too, and he had a lot more time to get ready. I'm not sure the talent is really all that different between Walker and Brissett. On the other hand, one has a much higher price tag. Brissett is likely better, but without Chubb and/or a dominant running game, I doubt he would have been as successful last season.

Then again, Walker has been really bad. Hopefully he improves with more time/reps.

Brissett, while not anything special is 1000000x better than walker.. Brissett atleast has a good TD/int ratio. Walker will lose us this game. Their defense is better than ours against the run so naturally that will give KS the greenlight to have Walker throw 40 times. Best long term scenario is walker plays like he has and we lose like we should, we still have time to make a move before the deadline.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You must factor in Brissett had Chubb playing with him last season. Can Brissett duplicate his accomplishments solely on his passing game?

1 member likes this: FATE
L
Legend
Legend
L
Brissett won't be careless with the ball.. too many Yolo passes from walker and walker can't feel pressure to save his live and he's just careless with the ball.. this move makes even less sense when you look at his career.. he's complete 55%, thrown 5 tds to 14 int. Thats just stupid to think you're going to trot him out there and do anything. Hell if you aren't going to get Brissett, heres another name that wouldn't cost much and would be light years better than Walker: Taylor Heinicke. Wentz would be who I would sign. then brissett, after that, anyone thats available thats played signficant games and has atleast a positive td to int ratio.. signing walker to begin with didn't make sense. Berry has failed too many times.. at some point he's got to answer for what hes done in terms of the QB position..

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Let’s face it. As Browns fans were looking at another lost and wasted season. The sad part is with a. little more thought and planning, like keeping Dobbs, it wouldn’t be as dire a situation.

1 member likes this: Jester
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Brissett won't be careless with the ball.. too many Yolo passes from walker and walker can't feel pressure to save his live and he's just careless with the ball.. this move makes even less sense when you look at his career.. he's complete 55%, thrown 5 tds to 14 int. Thats just stupid to think you're going to trot him out there and do anything. Hell if you aren't going to get Brissett, heres another name that wouldn't cost much and would be light years better than Walker: Taylor Heinicke. Wentz would be who I would sign. then brissett, after that, anyone thats available thats played signficant games and has atleast a positive td to int ratio.. signing walker to begin with didn't make sense. Berry has failed too many times.. at some point he's got to answer for what hes done in terms of the QB position..

He is 2-0 last two weeks. Leading 2 game winning drives. Just saying! I am sure the Browns FO is having discussion about other QB's but they can't mortgage the future and let another team exploit them.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
I cannot say Dobbs would be any better. I don't know.

Honestly it is hard to believe we won the last two games. But we did.

Maybe PJ will improve with more reps? He will no doubt know the playbook better. I would rather move forward with full practice for PJ than leave this as a game time decision.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by bonefish
PJ Walker will start Sunday.

[Linked Image from usagif.com]

2 members like this: FATE, bbrowns32
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

He is 2-0 last two weeks. Leading 2 game winning drives. Just saying! I am sure the Browns FO is having discussion about other QB's but they can't mortgage the future and let another team exploit them.

i get the browns are 2-0, but he had very little to do with it. its safe to say the defense and the refs had a bigger hand in us winning than walker.. I really wish people would stop giving him credit, and if we're being honest, even the NFL came back out and said the refs two calls that directly resulted in us winning were mistakes and should not have been called, but there's no takebacks but I would venture a guess the refs this game are going to error on the side of not giving us calls and we will see what happens

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

And without either one, last Sunday was a clear L... probably a blowout.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
j/c...

It's that time, and a vet QB is an absolute must now.

Cannot sacrifice a championship caliber defense with "let's see how it works out". Back up the fuel truck and pour some more ga$ on the fire we call quarterback.

No hard feelings, Deshaun, get boo-boo shoulder figured out. We're just not going to make it a weekly soap opera while we wait, the season is too short.

Maybe some pressure from #2 will help him dig deep into his soul for whatever elite football qualities are left.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I have to give some cred to Berry for moving on from York and finding Hopkins. He has been unreal.

Myles is just Myles. He is an alien.

I am glad he is a Brown.

It would be something for PJ to win Sunday. It may turn into a cult following.

GO PJ GO.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by bugs
You must factor in Brissett had Chubb playing with him last season. Can Brissett duplicate his accomplishments solely on his passing game?

I really have no idea if JB is better than PJ may be with a few more games. but i do miss JB on 3rd or 4th and 1. I was usually confident he would pick those up with a sneak.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

And without either one, last Sunday was a clear L... probably a blowout.

We just need Trent Dilfer and we are a Superbowl team

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Walker 5' 11' and is 1-2" shorter than Baker. He looks lime a little.kid out there. Trent Dilfer is 6'4".

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
O
Legend
Legend
O
but i do miss JB on 3rd or 4th and 1. I was usually confident he would pick those up with a sneak.

This is the line of thought that pushed me into the "just do it, Berry" zone. Going and getting Jacoby back in the building isn't some sunk cost.

1. We've determined we don't have a capable backup, which is something that a contending team needs. This need persists beyond this year, so long as we are contending. I'm fine with gambling on DTR like we did, but clearly it didn't pay out and now we gotta respond accordingly.

2. Stefanski already started using Jacoby's sneak ability as a weapon last year. This is a wrinkle that we can add back into our toolbox the moment he's back in the building. For a coach that loves that type of misdirection (giving offenses a bunch to worry about out of the same look) as much as KS does, I would think he'd be pounding the table to bring that back.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We need our own brotherly shove back...

...or as I call it, the Cleveland Steamer.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
''Something , something' Rump Bump.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
but i do miss JB on 3rd or 4th and 1. I was usually confident he would pick those up with a sneak.

This is the line of thought that pushed me into the "just do it, Berry" zone. Going and getting Jacoby back in the building isn't some sunk cost.

1. We've determined we don't have a capable backup, which is something that a contending team needs. This need persists beyond this year, so long as we are contending. I'm fine with gambling on DTR like we did, but clearly it didn't pay out and now we gotta respond accordingly.

2. Stefanski already started using Jacoby's sneak ability as a weapon last year. This is a wrinkle that we can add back into our toolbox the moment he's back in the building. For a coach that loves that type of misdirection (giving offenses a bunch to worry about out of the same look) as much as KS does, I would think he'd be pounding the table to bring that back.

1. It didn't pay out. That doesn't necessarily mean that it can't pay out. A late round rookie thrown in on short notice without a bunch of reps is going to struggle. Watson was a game time decision.

Jacoby knew during the off-season that he'd be starting games. He got a solid number of reps with the starters. It wasn't a "surprise."

Jacoby Brissett hasn't taken any live reps this season, it would likely take him some time to get up to speed. We've also adjusted the offense away from what he did well and towards what we wanted to do with Watson. I'm not sure we want to try to swing back the other direction. Throw in compensation and I'm not sure it's worth it. It could be if everything worked out as the best case scenario, but I'm predicting it starts out on the less well side of things if it happens.

Unfortunately, things don't just pick up where they left off. Each season is its own entity. Brissett wasn't a part of the work that went on here this (off) season.

I think I'd rather see what DTR can do if he actually gets some reps during the week knowing he's going to be the starter. We still don't really know how long Watson is going to be out. Kind of wish we were starting DTR instead of Walker this week to have that info before the deadline. PJ's had multiple weeks with starter's reps (in Carolina) to show what he could/can do. His numbers would look pretty similar to DTR's if some potential INTs hadn't been dropped.

2. Sneaking doesn't work very well on 3rd and long. Being good at it is nice to have, but it's not really something you build an offense around. I'm not sure trying to work in a new body will result in fewer negative plays which have led to too many bad down and distance situations.

...I don't think Stefanski is a table pounder. Just saying. thumbsup

Jacoby could be an answer. I'm just not sure it's quite the given some people make it out to be. Making the move could also have long term implications--not only draft capital, but we might want to consider the psyches of the QBs already here.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
For sure... nothing is a given at this point. Maybe my enthusiasm made it sound like a slam dunk.

For the reasons you list, that's why Brissett is our best bet. Nothing is a given, but he's had success in KS's system last year, throwing to just about everyone we have now except Moore.

It's easier said than done for me to sit here and say we gotta go and get this specific guy (who's on another team and is the backup for one of the most sacked QBs in the league). I'm just not sure how we can feel good about standing pat considering what we've seen the past few weeks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

^^this, right here.^^

If Brissett doesn't happen before the trade deadline, it's because the FO stopped drinking bottled water.

"76 Groza: There's lead in them thar pipes!"

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Washington has to be willing to trade him and for a price the Browns can live with. Those are two massive hurdles everyone is just glossing over. And Washington's starter hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote=oobernoober]
1. We've determined we don't have a capable backup....[quote]

Backup? Heck, we haven't yet determined that we have a capable starter!!!

Last edited by bbrowns32; 10/28/23 11:43 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P
Will Browns face the reality about Deshaun Watson and do what is necessary? – Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Browns are 4-2 with a playoff-caliber defense.

They also have a quarterback who is really hurt. Anyone who watched Deshaun Wartson could see he had very little arm strength last Sunday.

Watson dismissed that comment by saying he only threw five passes before leaving what turned out to be a 39-38 Browns victory over the Colts.

But those five passes were short. He didn’t look confident throwing the ball. He looked like a guy who had something wrong with his arm. In Watson’s case, it’s some type of rotator cuff injury. Different medical terms have been attached to it.

The fact is Watson could throw reasonably well warming up. But when he was under the pressure of a pass rush and having to make an off-balance pass from different angles, he had little zip on the ball.

Any type of rotator cuff injury robs the arm of strength. That’s just a fact. Even if there is no need for surgery, it takes time to rebuild that strength. That’s also a fact.

And that’s Watson’s situation.

TIME TO FACE REALITY

He’s not ready. He hasn’t been ready to play since injuring his shoulder on Sept. 24 in the Browns’ 27-3 victory over Tennessee. That was a month ago.

Then we went into “day-to-day” land. The Browns and Watson seemed to think he’d play the week after the Tennessee game even though he didn’t practice. That was a bad idea, and Watson was pulled from the lineup 2 1/2 hours before what became a 28-3 loss to Baltimore.

Watson took the field in Indianapolis. He looked shaky as he completed 1 of 5 passes for 5 yards. He had one interception and nearly threw a second interception. Both throws were short.

Then Watson was slammed to the turf, banging his head and shoulder. Even though he was cleared of a concussion and supposedly OK to play, coach Kevin Stefanski wisely kept him on the bench.

Stefanski gave a far more realistic update of Watson’s condition Wednesday, explaining P.J. Walker will start Sunday in Seattle.

“I just feel with what happened in the game landing on his shoulder, there’s residual swelling that’s affecting his throwing,” said the coach. “I think it’s the best thing for him to rest this week and focus on the rehab. And as I’ve told you guys, I will always make what I think are the best decisions for our football team, for Deshaun, and I feel like this is the best decision for this week.”

Finally, he’s not “day-to-day.” He never was “day-to-day” with this type of injury. We’re on “week-to-week,” and this week four.

WHAT BROWNS NEED TO DO

I started with the Browns being 4-2.

I mentioned their playoff-caliber defense.

I watched the 39-38 victory over the Colts in person. Then I watched it again Tuesday night on tape. P.J. Walker has helped the team win the last two games that he has been at QB.

But the Browns have won those games with Walker throwing three interceptions compared to zero TD passes. He lost a fumble. He’s been on the edge of disaster with other plays.

Having Walker at QB with this talented defense is like trying to win the Indianapolis 500 with bald tires. You know there soon will be a crash, a costly turnover.

The common phrase you hear these days is, “It’s not sustainable.” That’s the Browns winning with Walker at QB.

GO GET A QUARTERBACK

Browns fans are carpet-bombing me with emails about Jacoby Brissett. They want the former Brown back. The fans are right.

The Browns averaged 24 points a game and ranked 10th in the NFL in scoring in his 11 starts last season while Watson was suspended. He threw 12 TD passes compared to six interceptions. He completed 64% of his passes.

Brissett had the best season of his seven-year career with Stefanski. The reason the Browns were 4-7 in his starts was the lousy defense.

To be a playoff contender, the Browns need only reasonable QB play. Brissett is stuck on the Washington bench behind Sam Howell. He has about $2 million left on contract.

The Commanders are 3-4. They are looking to deal veterans by Tuesday’s trade deadline.

The Browns should not fall into the trap of thinking Watson will be back soon and perform well when he returns. If that happens, wonderful.

But I have doubts about a speedy recovery, given it’s been a month and he’s already shut down for Sunday’s game.

This remains a promising team that can compete for the postseason with decent QB play. Brissett can deliver that. Don’t waste the rest of this season with Walker while awaiting what comes next with Watson.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...BjiJxVwHsrs1sKqV3KQcdXHB-6RFQzIJSdaFLzKo

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I totally agree with Pluto's article.

Legend
Legend
good article by Terry ... spot on

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Going with Pluto. If we buy into DW will be fine and allow some undefined time frame for that to occur, days/weeks/ now into months, we are probably wrong. He was horrible and he was pulled and held out, with good reason. He stunk up the field and it might well have been worse; it certainly seems reasonable and more likely to be repeatable than a full recovery is this season. I like JB. Our D can help us, but it won't overcome wishful thinking, hope as a game plan in light of what we have seen. Get your vet before Tuesday; THEN if you wish to gamble the season with him, so be it. The current situation for this season seems painfully similar to drawing to an inside straight. It is a delusional bet. Even if it may be seen as good money chasing bad by some, it is a safer bet with a healthy vet IMO.
Maybe the FO or Stefanski want to see the last card and seem prepared to live with it, I am not that curious to be all in on what I have seen on offense. Pluto makes sense to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
yeah, it's really tough to think that Watson will return to form this season (or ever again honestly) .. 80% of the time we've seen him on the field for us he's been bad .. and now he's bad and injured

we simply can't just hope he'll be back and be fine

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Washington has to be willing to trade him and for a price the Browns can live with. Those are two massive hurdles everyone is just glossing over. And Washington's starter hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire.

I agree. It's still early in the season. They are still in the race for a WC spot. Their HC is on the hot seat and possibly their GM. I don't see why they would want to give up their back up at this point in time. I guess their minds possibly could change after tomorrow's game against the Eagles.

I just never really thought it was a possibility. I just took the idea/rumors as a great way for the media to get clicks out of Browns fans, b/c the fans would eat that up and they have done exactly that.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I got a question. All those thinking bringing in a vet now will cure everything. First of all, they will not know the playbook, so the offense will be limited, just as it is now. There will be no chemistry with the receivers, worse than it is now. While it might seem like a solution, it could easily be a big mistake. Other than Brissett, those problems will prove to be a setback to something already set back

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
This.
Spot on.

Get Brissett. Make the playoffs.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Roll with the @uarterbacks you have now.
Gosh I hope I don't have to watch Brissett on the Browns ever ever again.
Who could be worse. yes Trey Lance would be worse, look, there are a LOT of bad @uarterbacks who shouldn't have but did get a lot of time on NFL teams, but them being bad doesn't make Brissett anything other than also bad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard