Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Jester
Good thing we didn't feel the need to upgrade the basch-up Qb position before the trade deadline.

Who is out there available as a street free agent?

I don't think we could coerce Brady out of retirement, but certainly worth a call.
Foles is the best option I have heard so far

Manziel is out there

That Canadian league Qb sounds interesting but I know very little about him => that includes his name

Another name i just saw is Trevor Simeon. He played for the Vikings when Stefanski was there as an assistant coach.

I do like that idea.
He could come in and be play ready pretty quickly

He won't be great, probablyt won't even be very good, but he'll be able to step in quickly for the same reason Dobbs has been able to look good in Minny... it's basically the same offense. He could spend the next couple of weeks on Practice Squad, and then, at the worst, he is a capable backup, at best he forces his way up the depth chart.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
At this point I wouldn't even go the PS route.

Somewhere on this roster we can sacrifice a player to keep all 3 QB's on the active roster. Somebody on the active gameday roster isn't seeing much action, if any. Somebody can go cover a kick or two.

If we bring in somebody I want him on the sidelines during the game learning as much as possible, as fast as possible.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
When I read the news, my first thought was: If we were 19-0 our plane would crash on the way to the Super Bowl.
Quoted for truth. SMH

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
He didn't nail anything. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

The broken bone injury happened in the Ravens game.

Look this is sad for many reasons. But to begin looking to lay the blame on someone is total BS.

Did Rodgers season end? Injuries happen continuously in football. Nick Foles did win a Super Bowl. Backups usually do not.

This is a sad day for the city of Cleveland and all their fans. It is too bad that some will come out of woodwork and begin with all their BS.

KS will move forward and so will the team. They will go out and try to win games. That is what can be done.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Hate to pointnit out man. But Germany never attached pearl harbor... just saying.

Can't slip anything past you! thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
5 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Hammer, FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote=vadawgfan07 I see Colt McCoy and Nick Foles. [/quote]

Foles might be the better choice but we must bring in an experienced QB.....

Last edited by bbrowns32; 11/15/23 12:56 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Watson is a tough [censored]. And he played with this injury and a bum ankle vs Ravens.

No Craps Given
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by bonefish

Look this is sad for many reasons. But to begin looking to lay the blame on someone is total BS.

Did Rodgers season end? Injuries happen continuously in football. Nick Foles did win a Super Bowl. Backups usually do not.

This is a sad day for the city of Cleveland and all their fans. It is too bad that some will come out of woodwork and begin with all their BS.

KS will move forward and so will the team. They will go out and try to win games. That is what can be done.

I don’t agree with you for one second. Excuses has always been losers best option. Shannon calls it yada yada yada….

As a GM for a professional organization you plan for the worst but hope for the best. Not the other way around.

Giving away 230m is one thing. Giving away 230 plus multiple draft picks on top of that is when questions must be asked.
230 + multiple draft picks to someone with a questionable character is something else.

All these stupidities can be forgotten with success. That’s how it works in the world of sports. I agree about that.

But if someone does all this without any sorts of insurance if something goes wrong and present NO success then it’s inexcusable. Full stop.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's a sad injury day for the Browns but some might say it's "Karma."

In any case, I believe the "defense" will be ok for a few games as long as their effort isn't thwarted with turnovers by the offense costing them games. If that rears its ugly head early, the defense might bail considering their efforts are for naught. That would turn what still looks like a possible decent year into another cluster.

Accountability:
Berry: Whether you believe he has done a good job or not, having had an unlimited checkbook to build a winner (NFL highest cash spend in 2021, 2nd highest in 2022, and highest again in 2023), posting another lackluster season should be looked at as unconscionable. Given the ability to spend whatever, not having a legitimate backup (plan B) at QB is going to be highly questioned or certainly should be.

Watson: Ignoring whether the thought process of Watson being good or bad is not the issue now. The Browns will have spent in real cash 92M over 2 seasons now on Watson with no ROI. A bigger issue though is in 2024, Watson's cap hit balloons to 63.977M per season unless Berry restructures Watson again. Problem with that thought process is that Watson already has one void year on his deal due to previous restructures and another will just extend those future cap costs into another void year. It would also raise his cap cost for 2025 and 2026 to over 72.952M per season. For a player coming off season ending injury to the throwing shoulder, restructuring again would be a huge gamble.

TOP 5 CURRENT QB CAP Charge for 2024
1. Watson: 63,977,000 (1 void year so far) + (under contract through 2026 fully guaranteed)
2. Prescott: 59,455,000 (2 void years with 2024 final year of current contract - not guaranteed)
3. Mahomes: 57,358,269 (zero void years) + (under contract through 2031, no guarantees after 2025, highest current cap charge 63,2M in 2026)
4. Murray: 51,897,000 (zero void years) + (under contract through 2028, no guarantees after 2024)
5. Stafford: 49,500,000 (zero void years) + (under contract through 2026, no guarantees after 2024)

Stefanski: Much the same as Berry with the added fact that if the Browns collapse, that will be 3 losing seasons in a row with the highest cash spend in the NFL over that time period. 10 wins might get Stefanski another year. Eight (8) wins or less will make his seat very hot not to mention some serious roster moves that will have to be done in 2024.

Hey, Shanahan did it with a 7th round rookie draft pick last year, time for Stefanski to man up!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by steve0255
Hey, Shanahan did it with a 7th round rookie draft pick last year, time for Stefanski to man up!

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Floquinho

I don’t agree with you for one second. Excuses has always been losers best option. Shannon calls it yada yada yada….

As a GM for a professional organization you plan for the worst but hope for the best. Not the other way around.

Giving away 230m is one thing. Giving away 230 plus multiple draft picks on top of that is when questions must be asked.
230 + multiple draft picks to someone with a questionable character is something else.

All these stupidities can be forgotten with success. That’s how it works in the world of sports. I agree about that.

But if someone does all this without any sorts of insurance if something goes wrong and present NO success then it’s inexcusable. Full stop.

Then just quit.

I mean seriously, if it's layers and layers of things you don't agree with and "stupidity"... topped with "inexcusable". Just. Quit.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Hammer
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Some decent options: Mark Malone, Bernie, Brady, Drew Bledsoe, Rivers, Brees, Don Strock, Neil Odonell, Sean Salsberry, Neil Lomax, Marino.

Come on man. Try to be serious or get out of here.

You’re right. I’m the only one here trying to make light of this. 👀

I’ll be serious now. Best case scenario: We’ll have below average-average qb play for the rest of the year. If our defense stays motivated despite the latest news, we’ll squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round. Good times as usual.

Worst case scenario.. I won’t insult your intelligence by even remarking on this.

Season ticket holders, like you, deserve the biggest thank you in the world for supporting this absolute mistake of a franchise.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bringbackbernie
This team has so much fight in them, yet some are wanting to throw in the towel. I hope that loser mentality only applies to your fandom and not your everyday life.

I'll be sure to run my first reactions to news like this past you from now on.

You're really going to throw around phrases like "loser mentality" while playing message-board-fandom police?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I seriously don't understand how some of our fans think. Haslam, Berry, and Stefanski have put together a football team that is capable of winning at the highest level and we have fans that want them gone. They must have really liked 1-32. Most teams would not have withstood the injuries this team has withstood so far. Heck San Fran lost 3 straight games while Deebo Samual was out. The Browns have been without our best offensive weapon since the 2nd quarter of game 2. They have overcome losing their franchise QB for 4 other weeks and then lost 3 of their top 4 Offensive tackles and still have beaten the Ravens on the road, and the Niners and Bengals at home. This team was poised to make a run at the Division for really the first time since they returned in 1999. Injuries happen and I am as sick as anyone else that we lost Chubb and now Watson for the season. I hope DTR can win us maybe 4 of our remaining games. But if they do fire Berry or Stefanski it would the dumbest decision in franchise history. I do not want to go back to 1-32 but we have fans that seem to want just that. They are more concerned about their agenda's and or they're dislike of our QB or front office for signing him and getting rid of their hero.

Did the Jets expect Rogers to get hurt in the 4th play from scrimmage for them? No. Was it their fault? No. There is not a team out there that could overcome the loss of their best offensive weapon and their franchise QB. The loss of the player can be overcome by QB play and that is what we were seeing here. The loss of a franchise QB could be overcome by the team's best player. I think Myles Garrett and the defense is doing all they can but without Nick Chubb I think it is a tall order for DTR. I will be rooting for DTR to play awesome and help the defense get the team to the playoffs. If he does awesome if he does not, we have to stay the course or return to the draft in our very special way as picking first year in and year out. But maybe that is what these agenda driven posters want to always win the draft!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
2 members like this: Clemdawg, Hammer
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Is Kyler Murray a possibility?

Matty Ice, Tannehill, Foles, Rivers, Andy Dalton, all make sense.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There a few of those type of fans. But I think by and large it's some people not willing to give them a free pass on every decision they make. The hiring of Schwartz was brilliant. The additions they made to the defense have played out well. They found a great kicker! But going into this season with this mess at backup QB was a bone headed move. People can make all the excuses they like for that. Nobody is perfect and this FO is no different. So are you saying the Jet's did a good job in handling their backup QB position or are you trying to say both the Jet's and the Browns got it wrong?

You certainly can't replace your starting QB with the same level of QB. But you can have a backup that can compete. And this thing you're saying about having to draft a first round QB? You don't need to make that kind of investment to get a decent backup QB. The Browns let one go for a 6th round pick in 2025. It's okay to admit they made a mistake.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did the Jets expect Rogers to get hurt in the 4th play from scrimmage for them? No. Was it their fault? No.

No they didn’t expect him to get hurt. Now that I think about it, the Jets have a great defense, like ours. They also have Garrett Wilson, we don’t. The Jets will be lucky to finish the season at .500.

- All things that certify that this season is over. I could care less if we make the playoffs only to lose in the first round.

Season ticket holders get swindled yet again.

Move this mistake of a franchise outta here.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Berry will evaluate the current roster and try to upgrade if the available piece fits their plans.
Facts- Browns have lost their starting RT, LT, All-Pro running back, and THE most important/hardest to master athlete - starting QB. Talking just offense- I can't think of a more crippling set of injuries EVER. Now, you can say- next man up all you want, but statistically there ain't many Brady's pulled out of a hat- nor Purdy's for current reference.

Our next edition of DTR will soon be seen- hopefully, he's a lot better than the first addition. How the running game has continued to produce effectively- MOSTLY- is a wonder of the world. With the so-called 24th easiest schedule remaining- we "could be" still in the playoff hunt. Baltimore won a SB decades ago with defense and a serviceable QB- can lightning strike twice- time will tell. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
This team has so much fight in them, yet some are wanting to throw in the towel. I hope that loser mentality only applies to your fandom and not your everyday life.

You're really going to throw around phrases like "loser mentality" while playing message-board-fandom police?

That's been his MO for years when he shows up to post.

As far as the situation goes with the QB, I think we just need to see what we have in DTR, and if he flops again, I guess we'll have to look at the veteran scrap heap. Not sure what else to do that could salvage things at this point.

Last edited by dawglover05; 11/15/23 02:45 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

[Linked Image from gvartwork.com]

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by oobernoober

That's been his MO for years when he shows up to post.

As far as the situation goes with the QB, I think we just need to see what we have in DTR, and if he flops again, I guess we'll have to look at the veteran scrap heap. Not sure what else to do that could salvage things at this point.

Say what? Please show me the proof of this detective.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
P
Legend
Legend
P
A detective isn't needed.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You still calling people liars that claim their mother died?

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
P
Legend
Legend
P

You still calling people liars that claim their mother died?

It depends on who it is.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You certainly can't replace your starting QB with the same level of QB. But you can have a backup that can compete. And this thing you're saying about having to draft a first round QB? You don't need to make that kind of investment to get a decent backup QB. The Browns let one go for a 6th round pick in 2025. It's okay to admit they made a mistake.
Now if Andrew Berry would just come out and be accountable for this dumb decision, that would be admirable. All we get from him is the spin game. Should probably head to Washington DC. Better fit there.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You do realize that Shanahan is light years ahead of Stefanski, right? No, Stefanski gets a pass for this year too. Thanks for the laugh though.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Then just quit.

I mean seriously, if it's layers and layers of things you don't agree with and "stupidity"... topped with "inexcusable". Just. Quit.

Quit from what.

Being a critical Brown supporter?
Voicing my opinion?
Watching football?

I started by praising Berry for all his good work.I gave him a 10/10. Isn’t that praise enough for you?

I also concluded that a GM and his FO is responsible for every decision. Is that wrong?

Injuries are a key part of such a violent sport as American football. That’s just a fact.

When a organization spend 230M guaranteed on one key position, on top of that give up multiple valuable draft picks, on a questionable character, with a weak back up QB when the rest of the roster is probably SB quality then it’s every supporters right to have questions.

If we look at our cap space next season then 2023 was the season when our SB window is open. Am I right?

With that in mind it would be wise to enter the season with a better back up QB than what we currently have? Just in case. That's excellent management.

Andrew Berry took a chance that so far has cost the organization approximately 92M in 2022 and 2023. Could he spent more wisely? Yes! Could he have kept Dobbs? Yes!

All I’m saying is that maybe, just maybe, we blew our best chance to win the SB in many many years because of negligence in one single position, the back up QB.

For me that’s inexcusable. Berry is paid to avoid f&ck #ps.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
I seriously don't understand how some of our fans think. Haslam, Berry, and Stefanski have put together a football team that is capable of winning at the highest level and we have fans that want them gone. They must have really liked 1-32. Most teams would not have withstood the injuries this team has withstood so far. Heck San Fran lost 3 straight games while Deebo Samual was out. The Browns have been without our best offensive weapon since the 2nd quarter of game 2. They have overcome losing their franchise QB for 4 other weeks and then lost 3 of their top 4 Offensive tackles and still have beaten the Ravens on the road, and the Niners and Bengals at home. This team was poised to make a run at the Division for really the first time since they returned in 1999. Injuries happen and I am as sick as anyone else that we lost Chubb and now Watson for the season. I hope DTR can win us maybe 4 of our remaining games. But if they do fire Berry or Stefanski it would the dumbest decision in franchise history. I do not want to go back to 1-32 but we have fans that seem to want just that. They are more concerned about their agenda's and or they're dislike of our QB or front office for signing him and getting rid of their hero.

Did the Jets expect Rogers to get hurt in the 4th play from scrimmage for them? No. Was it their fault? No. There is not a team out there that could overcome the loss of their best offensive weapon and their franchise QB. The loss of the player can be overcome by QB play and that is what we were seeing here. The loss of a franchise QB could be overcome by the team's best player. I think Myles Garrett and the defense is doing all they can but without Nick Chubb I think it is a tall order for DTR. I will be rooting for DTR to play awesome and help the defense get the team to the playoffs. If he does awesome if he does not, we have to stay the course or return to the draft in our very special way as picking first year in and year out. But maybe that is what these agenda driven posters want to always win the draft!

Dawg, you simply have to stop making so much sense. Didn't you get the memo? This is a time for gloom, despair, and defeatism!

Seriously, excellent post
thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by The Beast
You do realize that Shanahan is light years ahead of Stefanski, right? No, Stefanski gets a pass for this year too. Thanks for the laugh though.

Are you sure Shanahan is light years ahead of Stefanski? I think Stefanski beat him with a backup QB that wasn't on the team to start the season. I think Stefanski has won 5 games this year without Nick Chubb. Shanahan lost every game that Deebo Samuel was out. I think one coach found a way to overcome adversity and one didn't. Now, Stefanski has to deal with more adversity. No best offensive weapon and no franchise QB. If DTR or anyone else can come in and find a way to win 4 football games because I think 10 wins gets the Browns in this year. Stefanski should be coach of the year.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: dawglover05
P
Legend
Legend
P
It could be. The QB situation he is facing along with the other injuries are not of his own doing.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Well that's crappy news.

But as others have pointed out - we have a genuine, fearsome, super bowl caliber defense. We don't need great play at QB to go to the play offs and even win a round.

I could be wrong - because I don't see DTR in practice - but I hate the idea of trusting the offense to DTR who is probably going to be limited and more turn over prone than a vet we sign off the street. . . Give me a seasoned, below average journayman Vet please. Run game is okay. Between Njoku and Cooper we have 2 great receiving options. Our biggest risk of losing games is when the offense gives the ball away and the other team has a short field or defensive TD. Please - just get a game manager in who won't panic, won't try to do too much - won't be a turnover machine.

Other than the Tennesse game and the second half vs Balitimore we've had middling to bad QB in all our other games and we are 6-3. We narrowly lost 2 of those games with bad QB play. No idea why anyone thinks we can't just keep on chugging along.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Why is everyone whining over the trade of Dobbs...

#1 Dobbs was/is not the future of the franchise. He was an insurance policy.
#2 Did you like what you saw from DTR in the preseason? If you didn't then I don't know what to tell you....
#3 DTR had/has a huge upside. There is large development potential. And the Browns were not the only ones to see it.
#4 The Brown were only going to hold 3 QB's. 2 on the Active Roster and one on the Practice Squad.
#5 If you think DTR was going to make it to our practice squad or even "stay" there once placed there...you are fooling yourself.
#6 The ONLY way to keep the potential FUTURE talent was to keep DTR on the Active Roster. That is why he was named #2
#7 Since DTR is going to be number 2 that means you are releasing the others. Including Dobbs. No way does Dobbs make it to the PS.
#8 Getting something for Dobbs was better than releasing him.

It had nothing to do with whether Dobbs is better than DTR at this very moment....It was about going for it now without completely mortgaging the future. And developing a guy that has a similar skillset/playing style that Deshaun has...They can't put DTR on the PS...he is gone if we put him there...and then you would be whining about Berry putting DTR there making him available to some other team...

Dobbs is doing well for himself this year...but we couldn't keep him unless we thought he would be Deshaun's SUCCESSOR. He was a backup...flat out. Dobbs was/is not a developmental player for us with the POSSIBILITY to be a successor...But DTR is.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
3 members like this: jfanent, FATE, Hammer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
From literally the most hopeful I’ve felt about this team in 3 years to feeling like it’s toast in 3 days

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I never expected to wake up this morning and read 5 pages of a game day thread in the Pure Football Forum.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PETE314
#1 Dobbs was/is not the future of the franchise. He was an insurance policy.

Backup QB's are rarely ever the future of your team.

#2 Did you like what you saw from DTR in the preseason? If you didn't then I don't know what to tell you....

Considering he was playing against a lot of people now bagging groceries he looked pretty good.

#3 DTR had/has a huge upside. There is large development potential. And the Browns were not the only ones to see it.

Is that why he was still sitting there in round 5? When teams see a huge upside in a QB, they don't let him sit there until round 5.

#5 If you think DTR was going to make it to our practice squad or even "stay" there once placed there...you are fooling yourself.

Yep fifth round rookie prospects are on the active roster all the time in the NFL. [/sarcasm]

#7 Since DTR is going to be number 2 that means you are releasing the others. Including Dobbs. No way does Dobbs make it to the PS.

The Vikings disagree and they won their last two games with a guy you think wasn't worth keeping. Facts are not your friend.

#8 Getting something for Dobbs was better than releasing him.

But not better than having him on the roster right now would have been.

Dobbs is doing well for himself this year...but we couldn't keep him unless we thought he would be Deshaun's SUCCESSOR. He was a backup...flat out. Dobbs was/is not a developmental player for us with the POSSIBILITY to be a successor...But DTR is.

DTR is nothing but a fifth round rookie project. If the NFL, including the Browns thought he was more than that, he would have been drafted higher. All of this hyperbole doesn't change that.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I never expected to wake up this morning and read 5 pages of a game day thread in the Pure Football Forum.

brownie

Tackles are tackles.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I doubt the browns sign someone like foled or Ryan. The ladt thing they want is a QB CONTROVERSY. They would rather tank the season with a rookie qb then deal with the fan base being divided

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson Out For The Year

Link Copied to Clipboard