Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Legend
Legend
P
So the 2023 regular season record of 11-6 isn't an improvement over the 2023 record of 7-10?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I really liked Stump. Not happy with this firing.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
..... OC....or Quincy Avery.

And Bryan Burney the QB coach.

That would be time to head to the 480 bridge!

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
As fans we are not inside. We don't know what goes on within the organization.

Until we see who is hired. We have no idea of what that person brings to the table.

I am guessing about this. The scheme and playbook is developed in conjunction with an understanding of the skills of the players. As the season goes on some plays are dropped and others added.

That offensive evolution is an adaptation. As game plans for opposing defenses are prepared; plays are selected.

I cannot say what AVP was lacking. Maybe KS felt that another voice was needed in game planning? I don't know.

OC's usually have an offensive philosophy. They want the team to have an offensive personality.

When the hire is made maybe we will learn more.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So the 2023 regular season record of 11-6 isn't an improvement over the 2023 record of 7-10?

It is but it was not enough to win the division. If they want a deeper playoff run, they have to win the division get a home field advantage and make a run. I believe the FO made this move to improve the offense to get where they want to get. Not that they failed in 2023 but need to be improved in 2024 and make the same kind of jump the defense did this past year. Not saying it will work but what I think they are trying.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're not going to win the AFC North having to rely on four starting QB's when two out of three on the roster going into the season stink and you had to get one off the couch along with playing the fourth and fifth OT on your roster and losing Chubb. And that doesn't even begin to mention the injuries this team suffered this year. If this FO can't figure that out they very well may be in the wrong business. I think they are lacking the ability to see the forest for the trees here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're not going to win the AFC North having to rely on four starting QB's when two out of three on the roster going into the season stink and you had to get one off the couch along with playing the fourth and fifth OT on your roster and losing Chubb. And that doesn't even begin to mention the injuries this team suffered this year. If this FO can't figure that out they very well may be in the wrong business. I think they are lacking the ability to see the forest for the trees here.

I don't think anyone lost their job for failure. I think the FO will agree with your assessment of the 2023 season. I also think the FO feel a change in offensive philosophy is needed to win the North. They changed the defense this year and found a defensive coordinator that took the defense to another level. I believe they are hoping for the same with the offense by adding a new coordinator that has had some kind of proven results in the past. Again, if you're not improving you're getting worse. Continuous improvement.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That was fast regarding a Staley visit. So fast.. as if the team had this firing decision laid out for a bit now.

Tackles are tackles.
All Pro
All Pro
The decision is pro active and that’s what an ambitious organization should do if they want to catch up with the teams in front of them. From that standpoint this move seems correct but it all depends on who they replace the fired coaches with. That’s my short evaluation.

The backside of firing so call “scapegoat’s” is that it creates a little bit of instability and speculations.

If Watson has anything to do with these changes then the support for him can quickly dry up if he don’t deliver some sort of success next season. Maybe he’s totally innocent and if that’s the case maybe this move can be successful because we need to be more unpredictable and protect our QB better to avoid further injuries.

From Stefanski’s perspective is a bold move. The room for errors decreases and if the Browns don’t starts to win their division or make a good run in the play offs then I think his days are numbered.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe watson had anything to do with it. At this point his resume' in Cleveland doesn't constitute that amount of leverage.

According to some Stefanski's days have been numbered for at least a few seasons now.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
I don't believe watson had anything to do with it. At this point his resume' in Cleveland doesn't constitute that amount of leverage.

According to some Stefanski's days have been numbered for at least a few seasons now.

When a HC starts to fire coaches around him without taking any own accountability (so far) he set himself up for heavy criticism if he doesn’t vastly improve his teams result. That has nothing to do with Stefanski specifically it’s just how a result oriented business works.

I like the move btw but that part got unnoticed from you thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
would love to see an OC who runs more pre-snap motion

P
Legend
Legend
P
Heavy criticism by you and your ilk. He took a hospital ward to the playoffs. The only people who think that needs to be held accountable for that are people who are aren't being objective and have it out for him. Giving him a mass amount of credit for it is what you should be saying.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
A name to watch for perhaps?

Tim Kelly – Offensive Coordinator, Tennesee Titans

Kelly has been the Titans offensive coordinator for two seasons, but with Head Coach Mike Vrabel being fired after the season, Kelly will likely be on the job market as well. Typically, a newly hired Head Coach wants to bring in his own staff.

Kelly is intriguing because he was the offensive coordinator when Deshaun Watson played his best season in the NFL.

He was with the Texans from 2014-2021 and was the offensive coordinator for three seasons, 2019-2021. Two of those seasons were with Watson as his quarterback. Watson's success in Kelly's offense makes him a potential candidate for Stefanksi.
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...dates-kevin-stefanski-225604846/#2348857 (full list of potentials from this site)

Kelly's bio on Titans website
https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/coaches-roster/tim-kelly

Klint Kubiak is interesting from a name perspective considering Stefanski's connection to his father and SF offense doing very well.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
As fans we can speculate all we want and that’s fine. Bottom line, IMO, is the FO is trying to make us a better team and that’s perfectly fine with me. I can’t wait to see whom we hire. That should tell us a lot about our future passing game.

All Pro
All Pro
Heavy criticism by you and your ilk. He took a hospital ward to the playoffs. The only people who think that needs to be held accountable for that are people who are aren't being objective and have it out for him. Giving him a mass amount of credit for it is what you should be saying.

No! Absolutely not and I going to tell you why.

I will never forgive his handling with Mayfield when he let TJ Watt sack our injured QB too many times. That’s the opposite of good leadership and I will always hold him accountable for such a mishandling of HIS player.

His record so far with a roster full of talent is good, this season is better than good, maybe close to very good. If he had won against the Texans I will call it a great season but that didn’t happen so “close to very good” is what I think is a fair judgement.

His play calling has gone from unacceptable to sometimes very good. His ceiling is high but the floor is sometimes at the basement level. The improvement this season gives me at least hope. Maybe he can also develop a part of his leadership a notch or two so he don’t throw any other of his players and coaches under the bus when it suits him.

I don’t know enough to fully judge who he’s but from the outside he doesn’t exactly look like a natural born leader, more a feminine beta type then a alpha who get respect with his pure presence. I’m old school so maybe my expectation's are different to the younger generation. These new Harvard type of managers isn’t my cup of tea. Claudia Gay. Alissa Heinerscheid. They all make me want to puke and my daughters also has this liberal soft crap attitude that I hate.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
I don't think anyone lost their job for failure. I think the FO will agree with your assessment of the 2023 season. I also think the FO feel a change in offensive philosophy is needed to win the North. They changed the defense this year and found a defensive coordinator that took the defense to another level. I believe they are hoping for the same with the offense by adding a new coordinator that has had some kind of proven results in the past. Again, if you're not improving you're getting worse. Continuous improvement.

The problem with this is if you're looking for an equivalent impact like what you got from the Schwartz hire, then the scope of coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball should somehow include Stefanski. This is his system and he calls plays. If he retains playcalling duties and/or brings in coaches that aren't bringing anything to the table as much as they're just doing what they're told... then these changes amount to just a bunch of hand-waving. I used the phrase earlier "rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship". I don't mean the ship is sinking, but rather that these coaching changes could be totally ineffective to address what they're intended to address.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
When the new OC is hired his background will be telling.

When KS was hired the scheme was based upon a version of the WCO. Kubiak is the guy who really was the mentor.

AVP is part of that scheme. With Baker we were in 12 or 13 personnel often. It is a run based system because play action is the foundation. When you have a runner like Chubb and a passer like Baker. It is a good fit.

Right now we do not know the status of Nick Chubb. He is coming off knee surgery and is 28. Kareem is a single purpose short yardage back and that is fine. Ford is not a Chubb replacement. He is not very good.

Perhaps KS has decided to change from that form of the WCO.

Maybe run more shotgun rather than under center. Run more 11 personnel and empty with motion and RPO"S.

Why now rather than at the beginning of this year? My guess is he wanted to see how DW would fit with AVP and that system. Now after getting a look, although limited, he decided to make changes.

I expect the receiver room to change. We need a true number two. A decision will need to be made about Cooper's future.
The offensive line may see some changes at least in depth.

All this points to a new offense.

When the new guy is hired his coaching tree will tell a lot.

Legend
Legend

2 members like this: DeisleDawg, oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

He was my son’s oline coach at BW back in 2014.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Improvement = yes, meeting expectations = nope

Keep in mind, in 2020, the Browns were 11-5 with a playoff appearance of 2 games making them 12-6 for the year. Now, if we were to believe the story that the 2020 team with Mayfield as QB wasn't good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl, then there had to be changes. Haslam opened up his checkbook and gave Berry the funds to get this franchise to a level where they were a league threat for the Super Bowl.

In 2021, the Browns and Berry had the highest cash spend (not cap) in the NFL for that season. Yada yada yada, the Browns put together an 8-9 season and finished tied for last place in the AFC North.

In 2022, the checkbook was still open, and the Browns had the second highest spend in the NFL that season. This was also the year they acquired their elite top 5 QB that was going to take them over the top. A 230M guaranteed 5-year contract for the player that would take them over the top but sadly, he would miss 23 3/4 games in his first 2-years. The team regressed though in 2022 finishing 7-10 and another last place finish in the AFC North.

Enter 2023, the checkbook is still wide open, Berry and the Browns have the highest spend in the NFL again this year. In addition to the spend on players, Berry and the Browns also invested heavily in replacing the DC and special team's coach to get the team to the that evasive Super Bowl level. The Browns improved in 2023 going 11-6 and qualified for the playoffs as a wildcard. The Browns were thumped in the first round 45-14 losing to a team led by a rookie QB and rookie HC. The Browns finished 11-7 for the season which is clearly an improvement over 2023 yet still not as good as the 2020 season where they were 12-6. Three years with the highest average cash spend in the NFL and still chasing the 2020 season even after spending all that money.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2023/...eers-salary-cap-cash-spending-tom-brady/

NFL Cash Spending 2021 - 2023 💰

The Browns spent $80m more than 2nd place & $168m more than league average in 2023. The Browns spend equals $820.2M over the last 3-years and $204.7M more than the NFL set cap over that period.

2021 salary cap = $182.5M - 2021 Browns spend = $239.4M
2022 salary cap = $208.2M - 2022 Browns spend = $276.3M
2023 salary cap = $224.8M - 2023 Browns spend = $304.5M

So, did the Browns improve in 2023? Yes, they did. Have the Browns come close to meeting expectations considering all the player and coaching changes while spending $204.7M more than the cap over the last 3-years (more than any other team) and still cannot equal or better the results from 2020 which has been deemed unsatisfactory?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: Tackman, Floquinho
Legend
Legend
Oh boy. Here come the cap hell updates.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: jfanent
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's hard to say. We don't know the dynamics behind the scenes. Sometimes people get tired of each other. Maybe there was some friction in the coaching room?

Why would we fire Stump...who knows and who really cares(other than the human element)? The guy has been around for a long time. Maybe he is just slowing down and we wanted something fresh?

TE coach seems a bit surprising given a great year by Njoku, but we don't know he had anything to do with that. Maybe Njoku"s previous lackluster seasons were because of the guy and some other coach became more involved this season and actually made the impact?

AVP..maybe he just got tired of not calling plays? How may OC's who didn't call plays get a chance to be a head coach? If you aren't doing that you almost start to be viewed as the coaching flunky. Maybe he and Stefanski started butting heads enough that Stefanski got tired of it?

And, as some have speculated before, maybe we are in for a totally new offense with a play calling OC.??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Hate to see Stump go frown We already interviewed Duce Staley to replace him)

McCartney did a good job IMO but the Browns think they can improve our TE coach.

AVP... well no loss IMO

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
It is not easy to fire people who you have hired and worked with.

IMO the offense is going to change.

This is a decision that has been given a lot of thought. When you run under center with play action the OL is getting help. TE's and backs become blockers. The route trees are different.

The offense that Miami is running is entirely different. It is a fast paced offense based upon rub routes, motion, and deception. It is a passing offense that is very hard to cover. The ball is out quickly and the routes are timed.

This is a big change if the new guy is coming from that kind of scheme. The Browns have to go all in on DW this year. Because if it does not work. They will have to consider going in a new direction. That is a big deal.

This is year three of the contract. Next year the Browns will have a first round pick. DW has two years to prove he was worth the trade. AB has to prepare a backup plan. DTR was picked as a guy to develop. If this coming year goes sour with DW. They may have to select a qb in round one.

Obviously, they want DW to be the man. This hire is another investment in DW.

Legend
Legend
Gotta say, I don't get it. But it is what it is. My hope is that Berry and KS have people in mind to replace them. Having Duce Staley in is a good sign. Will the next OC call the plays? Wouldn't surprise me is Barry came to KS and say, we gotta get the play calling off your Van Pelt isn't the answer. Lets get someone else. Of course, I don't know that, just speculating.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
AVP..maybe he just got tired of not calling plays? How may OC's who didn't call plays get a chance to be a head coach? If you aren't doing that you almost start to be viewed as the coaching flunky. Maybe he and Stefanski started butting heads enough that Stefanski got tired of it?

And, as some have speculated before, maybe we are in for a totally new offense with a play calling OC.??

In maybe somewhat of a foreshadowing moment, right before the Bengals game when the Browns announced they would be sitting their starters, someone asked Kev if he would let AVP call the plays. In an uncharacteristic way of answering for him, he was somewhat demonstrative and condescending when he said no. It was an odd moment I thought but it is obvious these plans have been in the works for some time.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Gotta say, I don't get it. But it is what it is. My hope is that Berry and KS have people in mind to replace them. Having Duce Staley in is a good sign. Will the next OC call the plays? Wouldn't surprise me is Barry came to KS and say, we gotta get the play calling off your Van Pelt isn't the answer. Lets get someone else. Of course, I don't know that, just speculating.

Could be. It is all speculation. We don't know the why's. In the end, I don't really care who is doing it as long as the "it" is getting done.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Last year Schwartz was brought in to change the defense.

You cannot stay stagnant in the NFL. You cannot be predictable.

Flacco comes in and executes the offense at a high level but turns the ball over.

Why was it so easy for Flacco? He is a veteran and has played in that scheme before. DW either has to play in that scheme or the scheme has to change.

IMO KS decided the scheme has to change.

Harbaugh had Flacco as his quarterback. They won with him. When Lamar was drafted it was decided that he was the future. They changed OC's. Greg Roman was brought in to develop an offense to fit Lamar. It worked Lamar became an MVP. Lamar wanted to become more of a passer and he wanted receivers. He held out on his contract.
Todd Monken was brought in to develop a new offense with Lamar featured as a passer instead of a runner.

The new OC will bring a new offense. If the guy they hire insists on play calling if he accepts the offer. Then that may happen. If it is left to be determined on who calls the plays that may eliminate some candidates.

This is a big deal because KS is now an experienced head coach. He is not a first timer anymore. He knows he has the backing of Haslam and AB.

Seniority and continuity provides power. KS can evolve into an overseer. Giving power to the DC and OC to run their schemes.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wonder if AVP makes his way to the Jets somehow.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Watch AVP go to the Steelers and build a successful offense there! That's not a criticism of getting rid of him or that I think he'll do it. Just one of those "It's so Browns" things that wouldn't surprise me!

Last edited by CBFAN19; 01/18/24 11:11 AM.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
It seemed to me that one area on offense that did not improve much was the interceptions. From what I saw most of which were receivers not being where Flacco thought they should be and throwing to the spot only to find noone there ( maybe a DB). Perhaps, the organization placed more of the blame upon the young receivers and an inability to get them to the right spot at the right time. I did not see most of the Houston playoff game and do not know what caused the interceptions ( I also do not have any desire to go back and watch). It just seems odd to fire guys after a successful season and I thought that they had someone specific in mind. The Titans OC seems like a guy that team may have had sights on. Not sure about Andy Dickerson, never heard of him.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by vadawgfan07
Not sure about Andy Dickerson, never heard of him.

Dickerson was here with Mangini in 2009 and 2010.

Dickerson could also be considered a backup plan should Bill Callhan decide to join his son's staff if he lands a head coaching job. He also meets the Rooney Rule requirement.

Legend
Legend
There's a Rooney rule req for OCs and DCs?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by CBFAN19
Watch AVP go to the Steelers and build a successful offense there! That's not a criticism of getting rid of him or that I think he'll do it. Just one of those "It's so Browns" things that wouldn't surprise me!

Bruce Arians approves of this post. grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: CBFAN19
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Floquinho
No! Absolutely not and I going to tell you why.

I will never forgive his handling with Mayfield when he let TJ Watt sack our injured QB too many times. That’s the opposite of good leadership and I will always hold him accountable for such a mishandling of HIS player.

Hey, at least you manned up and admitted it's a personal beef with you and not how well he is doing now. Now we all know your motivation has nothing to do with how well or poorly he is doing and nothing he does short of a SB will ever be good enough for you. You just answered the "why" you hate him and it has nothing to do with his current performance as the Browns HC.

Thanks for giving us a better understanding. It's all about Baker. And here I thought "The Baker Bros." was nothing more than an urban legend.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
There's a Rooney rule req for OCs and DCs?

Yes. In 2021 the Rooney Rule was updated to include the requirement of interviewing at least one external minority candidate for coordinator positions and QB coaching jobs. Two external minority candidates are required to be interviewed for head coaching jobs.

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/inclusion/the-rooney-rule/

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Fire Offensive Coaches

Link Copied to Clipboard