Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Bones #338290 01/01/09 03:17 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

If anyone is watching the Outback Bowl..the announcers were just pimpin Ferentz for an NFL HC position pretty hard.

They actually did a good job of selling him.

Generally the more you know about Ferentz, the more you like him.

Baltimore tried to lure him out of Iowa last year and failed - others have as well.

I'm honestly not sure he would be interested in an NFL job - whether he were Pioli's first choice or not.

NFL is a different bear. He's well paid and likes where he is.

danglet #338291 01/01/09 05:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

NFL is a different bear.

And therein lies the problem in a nutshell.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #338292 01/01/09 06:32 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

NFL is a different bear.

And therein lies the problem in a nutshell.

A college head coach with a gig at a major university with a good program would have to be insane to want to jump to the pros.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
yea....

It's the GOOD LIFE!!! Couldn't get any easier IMO. And you have better job security for the most part as well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

j/c

Like many have said, if getting Pioli means hiring Ferentz as our HC than I want nothing to do with him.

i want to chime and agree with this too-very few college coaches have made it in the NFL

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

i want to chime and agree with this too-very few college coaches have made it in the NFL

very few? give me ONE.... JUST SAY NO!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

very few? give me ONE.... JUST SAY NO!

Dick Vermiel and Barry Switzer

Both started out as college coaches and both have superbowl rings...

Jimmy Johnson has 2 superbowl rings.

How could you ever forget Paul Brown....

There is four without even thinking about it..

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/01/09 06:50 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Jimmy Johnson didnt do to badly

Legend
Legend
Well I'm 25.. lol... I remember Jimmy Johnson for sure.... but the other guys.... before my time I guess.. lol.

Legend
Legend
Paul Brown was before your time,,but your a browns fan I think... I would hope you did some research on your on favorite team..

Vermiel just won the Superbowl in 98 or 99.. I think 99 with the Rams.. Switzer won the superbowl with the Cowboys in 95 or 96. not sure which without looking it up and I don't feel like it..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
J/K

Been doing some reading and it seems that the Boston Globe has been putting out some stories that are not factual.

...such as the idea that Pioli was given a timeline and he "had to" tell Lerner today whether he would take the Browns job or not....it's not true according to the Plain Dealer web page

Another claim we are hearing that may not be factual is the idea that Pioli and Ferentz are a package. Ferentz is trying to knock those claims down web page

As I attempted to explain earlier, we are going to hear a lot of "stuff" and to be honest, we won't know if it's true or not unless someone addresses each and every rumor to our satisfaction.

Try to be patient...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Well shoot YTown, I'd be happy to secondguess you if you need a hand. Proof will be in the pudding. Hope springs eternal in Cleveland; after all, there is always next year, right? Just kidding!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Call me crazy Mac, but isn't that what I've been trying to say for a day now.. reports just aren't going to be factual,,, Until they are... till then, it's all guess work by the reporters... by the way, different agenda equals different guesses. Funny how that works isn't it

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Of course it is...what's new??

Reports come out....some based on actual information, some based on supposition based on the prior report.

People try to connect dots.

Somewhere in there we are left to sift through.

So...while sifting...here is my take....

Lerner wants Pioli.....pretty self evident

Pioli wants Ferentz....makes some sense as they go back many years to the Browns

Lerner wants Mangini....just guessing here

Pioli won't work with Mangini....makes sense again considering Spygate

Other guess on my part.....The herald article may have been accurate when it came out, and now the PD article is correct....things change...and they can change quickly.

To Ferentz...I don't know he would be a bad coach....he has coached in the NFL...think he started under Marty as O-line coach.

To Macs article of research on Ferentz...all he is saying is things are premature...he isn't denying anything ...and that could be a real honest comment...he has to wait for Pioli to get hired before anything with him could be finalized.

I think there is enough smoke to give some credence to the Pioli/Ferentz connection.

In the end, either Lerner is going to have to come off some of his ideas or we can forget Pioli...and the way this is playing out, it might be best if we did...I would rather have someone who is eager to be here and not someone who feels right off the bat he has given something up, or a owner who feels like he gave up too much.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Dick Vermiel

Vermiel was in the NFL for over 20 years before he won the SB. I dont think Browns fans have that much patience

Only 2 coaches ever won the college National Championship and the SB- Switzer and Johnson

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How many of those teams have experienced top notch coordinators?

I believe that the OC and DC are just as important as the HC. Crennell had hamburger for coordinators we need some prime rib.

Balt - Rex Ryan and Cam Cameron
Pitt - Dick Lebeau and Bruce Arians
Miami - Dan Henning and Paul Pasqualoni
Atlanta - Mike Mularky and Brian VanGorder
Minnesota - Leslie Frazier and Darrell Bevell
Carolina - Mike Trgovac and Jeff Davidson
Arizona - Clancy Pendergast and Todd Haley

If you ask me, that's a pretty stellar group of coordinators.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #338306 01/01/09 08:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't we run

Arians & Davidson out of town ?

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Didn't we run

Arians & Davidson out of town ?

Heck, let's pair them with Bill Bellichek who also got rode out of town!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
MrDNA #338308 01/01/09 08:30 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Add Romeo on the D-side of the ball and you have what 12 rings between them?

That's what I was thinking looking at Aerians and Davidson's names on there. It's all about circumstance and personnel.

Arians walked into a good O...a caveman could run a good O in Carolina with Stewart and DW running the ball.

Problem with star Cords - they leave. That's why you usually see a former head coach as one cord and an up and comer as another....the league splits between the old school guys and the new ones.

At this point I'm so frustrated with the Browns, I'm just going to close my eyes and wish they get it right sometime. I texted one of my Raiders fans a thank you for his 5th pick by them winning and his response....where we pick doesn't matter because we will pick the wrong guy anyway.

That's how I feel we are going. Savage was supposed to be the prized up and comer scout...we've had better but not stellar picks. Butch was a can't miss, next Jimmy Johnson following from Miami and the Cowboys SB linniage. He was a flop.

Palmer was an up and comer...he flopped.

Romeo was supposed to be the stable, experienced coach that had been coaching so long he couldn't fail or not be get his players ready or fail at game-time adjustments and clock management....FLOP.

We've gone the star cordinator route twice - FLOP.
We've gone the college guru once - FLOP.

Then we look at all the new coaches this year without success and it sickens me to think we missed and are back on the road of hiring a guy we are just going to fire in 2-3 seasons.

Cowher would NEVER work here because the Rooney's got a ring out of him because they waited. Just like Marty was run out of town. We just aren't a patient group of fans.

Lerner, I don't care who, how, what title or what you gotta pay...just for the Love of God, GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!!!

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Cowher would NEVER work here because the Rooney's got a ring out of him because they waited. Just like Marty was run out of town. We just aren't a patient group of fans.

I remember most fans being upset by Marty being fired. Everyone just forgot because Bud Carson came in and beat Pittsburgh 51-0 in his first game. This is when most fans I knew started to turn on Modell. We didnt have message boards back then to get wider range on what the fans want.

But your right, I was thinking the same thing earlier. If Cowher was in Cleveland under Modell, he would have gotten fired before he won a Super Bowl because he did lose a lot of big games. Im never in favor of firing a coach after finishing 12-4.

Were not the only impatient fans. I remember visiting family around Pittsburgh when they werent doing so good and I did hear alot of people at the bars wanting a new coach. Luckily for them the Rooneys are smarter then they are, dont care what the fans think, and kept him around
Im not saying the vast majority but I did hear it enough.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Vermiel was in the NFL for over 20 years before he won the SB. I dont think Browns fans have that much patience

Only 2 coaches ever won the college National Championship and the SB- Switzer and Johnson

SO,, that wasn't the question I was answering.. whoever it was wanted to know if anyone could name just one coach that was successful as a college coach and then successful as an NFL Coach.. within seconds, i was able to name 4..

What difference does it make when they were successful or what level they reached in either college or the Pros.. that wasn't the question.

But to your point about vermiel,, yeah, it took him from 1976 with the eagles to 1999 with the rams to win the superbowl.. But he got the Eagles to it in 1980.. And if you are going to point out the number of years, you should probably point out that Vermiel was out of coaching for about 16 years between stints with the eagles and rams... take that out and suddenly, you can see that in maybe 7 or 8 years of actual NFL coaching, he went to the superbowl 2 times and won once.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Of course it is...what's new??

Nothing is new.. that's why I pointed it out to begin with

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
2nd String
2nd String
S
j/c

MEL TUCKER TO TALK TO JETS

Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is suddenly a man in demand.

A league source tells us that Tucker will interview with the New York Jets for the team’s head-coaching position.

On Wednesday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Tucker will interview with the Browns for the job held most recently by Romeo Crennel.

Tucker, who is African-American, would permit the Jets and the Browns to satisfy the league’s Rooney Rule, which requires at least one minority candidate to be interview for every head-coaching vacancy.

web page

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
MCKAY CAN’T TALK TO BROWNS UNTIL FALCONS’ SEASON ENDS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2009, 9:02 p.m.

Though Falcons president Rich McKay still might interview with the Browns for their General Manager position, we’ve learned that the Browns can’t request permission to interview him until the Falcons’ playoff run ends.

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer originally reported on Tuesday that McKay would be interviewed this week. Grossi explained that the Browns are “able to interview McKay while the Falcons are still involved in the playoffs because club executives are not subjected to the same league restrictions as coaches.”

The reality, however, is that front office employees are off limits until their current teams’ seasons end.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello quoted the rule for us on Tuesday, and he reiterated its general application to all front-office employees in an e-mail exchange today. (We had promised Greg that we wouldn’t bother him on New Year’s Day. So much for the New Year’s resolution that, moving forward, we will always keep all promises.)

As Aiello told us on Tuesday: “There is a general prohibition on contacting a club about one of its employees during the season. It states: ‘Unless otherwise provided for in this Policy, no club may request permission to discuss employment with a non-player, non-coach employee of another club, whether or not that employee is under contract, during the employer club’s playing season, defined as the period from the opening of preseason training camp through the club’s final game of the season, including postseason if applicable.’”

Though Aiello declined to comment on the application of the rule to specific employees and/or teams, the rule is clear. Even if the Falcons are anxious for McKay to leave, the interview cannot happen until after the Falcons’ season ends, because the Browns cannot request permission to speak to him.

In this case, it appears that the Browns did request permission prematurely, in violation of the rule. However, the league typically imposes a penalty in situations of this nature only if the team victimized by the violation pushes the issue. Thus, our guess is that someone at the league office politely reminded the Browns and the Falcons that the interview could not proceed until after the Falcons are out of the playoffs.

As a practical matter, the rule could remove McKay from consideration. If, in a wide-open NFC playoff field, the Falcons string a few wins together, the Browns might not be inclined to wait for McKay to become available for an interview.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/01/mckay-cant-talk-to-browns-until-falcons-season-ends/

O
2nd String
2nd String
O
Thank's for the read.

I always thought that rule only pertain to coaches.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

MCKAY CAN’T TALK TO BROWNS UNTIL FALCONS’ SEASON ENDS

Go Cardinals!

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
The more I read about PIOLI and McKay, I am leaning to McKay. Because I think Pioli is playing us. Which I think is BULL!!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

MEL TUCKER TO TALK TO JETS

Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is suddenly a man in demand.

A league source tells us that Tucker will interview with the New York Jets for the team’s head-coaching position.

On Wednesday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Tucker will interview with the Browns for the job held most recently by Romeo Crennel.

Tucker, who is African-American, would permit the Jets and the Browns to satisfy the league’s Rooney Rule, which requires at least one minority candidate to be interview for every head-coaching vacancy.

web page

This is so wrong it's funny.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Lerner, I don't care who, how, what title or what you gotta pay...just for the Love of God, GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!!!

I was wondering and I haven't seen this discussed...We approached Cowher about the HC job, and we are pretty sure Lerner would like to have a GM and a coach as two seperate entities. Cowher said he didn't want to coach in 09, but did we approach him at all about just being a GM, like Ozzie Newsome. You state to "GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME!!!!", His initial and first priority was Cowher, which I think is the right choice. I would do whatever it is to get the right choice ...well - right this time. Anything else is a crapshoot and it has to burn Lerner deep inside that in 4 years or less he could be doing this all over again. I'm sure he is an odds man and hates the fact that the odds are not in his favor and it looks as though we are in the same position we seem to be in every four years. When he thinks of McDanials or Pioli or Mangini or Ferentz do you honestly think he thinks they are the answer? Do you think he would sleep soundly after making a decision on one of them? He probably has visions of Savage or Butch or Romeo in his head. I bet the only way he would feel in good hands and sleep well is if he had his first choice and that won't happen.....unless he makes it happen. People change their minds, they just need some help sometimes. I couldn't picture Cowher anywhere else but the AFC and the North in particular. It is all he has ever known and the history and the Rivalry. I could see him in Tennessee(Houston), but I don't see Fisher leaving...

I am to the point now, where I would rather see Marty Coaching here again as option B, with a Mckay as GM. After that I would like a Spagnola or Schwartz. Those guys they have flat out are motivated. Something is driving them to perform at a high level and someone is behind it... If you put Justin Tuck on last years Browns team...you would have a Wimbley clone. All the potential and physical skills...but no drive. Yes he plays....but do you think he is highly motivated? A pass rusher should be able to get 4 sacks on accident a year...Wimbley simply slipped because he was allowed to slip.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looking for a Browns coach

By Steve Doerschuk
CantonRep.com staff report

Last update Jan 02, 2009 @ 12:46 AM

Browns owner Randy Lerner is tired of the Browns partying like it’s 1999.

In an attempt to get the expansion era off the ground, Lerner rang in the new year scrambling through general manager and head coaching options.

Pending his hiring of a general manager, the following shaped up among the most serious coaching candidate. An analysis:

Josh McDaniels

Lerner might like

* As offensive coordinator at New England, indications are Bill Belichick has trusted him with a lot of rope. He’s at the controls on Sundays, not a puppet.

His 2007 New England offense set NFL records for yards and points.

* His 2008 offense proved he’s resilient, ranking among league leaders in rushing offense despite key injury losses and among the passing leaders despite using a quarterback who hadn’t started since high school.

* He has coached both defense and offense at New England and has a strong sense for special teams, having been a place-kicker at McKinley High School.

* He’s bright and likable and would have a good chance to connect to the public. There is ample evidence his players learned to overlook his youth and embrace his ability.

Lerner might worry

* No matter how you slice it, 32 is an alarming age for a first-time head coach. Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin turned 35 shortly after the Steelers hired him, but he had a safety net, with seasoned coordinators Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians remaining in place.

* Romeo Crennel might help if he stayed, but it would have to be weighed whether Crennel, who had McDaniels on his New England defensive staff as a low-level assistant just five years ago, would embrace calling the kid “boss.”

Mike Shanahan

Lerner might like

* No one else on the market has Shanahan’s combination of relative youth and NFL head coaching experience.

* At 56, he’s five years younger than Crennel.

* In 15 years as Denver head coach, his record was 139-82, with two Super Bowl wins and a trip to the AFC finals as recently as 2005.

Lerner might worry

* Ten seasons have passed since Shanahan was in a Super Bowl. His only playoff win since then was in 2005 (27-15 over New England).

* In his only other playoff seasons during that span, he was one and done in 2000 (21-3 loss to Baltimore), 2003 (41-10 loss to Indianapolis) and 2004 (49-24 loss to Indy).

Rex Ryan

Lerner might like

* Ryan’s father, Buddy, is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in NFL history, and the apple seems not to have flown away from the tree.

* Rex Ryan’s Baltimore defenses have been typically superb. This year’s unit ranked second in the league overall and gave up half as many rushing yards as the Browns.

* Insiders say Ryan can communicate well with players and the public.

* At 46, with 12 years in the NFL, he could be at the right time of life to hit the ground running as a head coach.

Lerner might worry

* Baltimore found reasons to bypass Ryan and instead hire John Harbaugh as head coach in 2008.

* He might not trust Lerner, depending on what his longtime Baltimore associate Phil Savage tells him.

Eric Mangini

Lerner might like

* He might have been too young to be a first-time head coach, but now he has three years of experience with the Jets and will turn 38 in two weeks.

* He could keep Crennel on the staff in a capacity that suits him better than head coach.

* When Crennel became defensive coordinator in New England in 2001 and needed a place to stay, Mangini reached out and took him in. They have been strong friends ever since.

* Mangini and Crennel were key men on Patriots defenses that won three Super Bowls.

* Mangini inherited a 4-12 Jets team in 2006 and led it to a 10-6 playoff season.

Lerner might worry

* Crennel was cheerful but not insightful or skilled in his communication with the public. Mangini tends to be humorless and bland, and not just in public. He struck some of his Jets players as too emotionless.

* Whereas he fashioned two 10-6 seasons with the Jets, his middle season was a disaster. Browns fans have suffered way too much to swallow a 1-8 start, which is where the Jets stood at one point in 2007.

* Mangini ruffled some feathers inside his former team, the Patriots, and raised some eyebrows elsewhere while becoming perceived as a Spygate snitch.

Jim Schwartz

Lerner might like

* He’ll definitely like the fact this Titans defensive coordinator has hung around Jeff Fisher the last 10 years. Lerner is a big fan of Fisher.

* Fisher coached the Titans for five years before breaking through to the playoffs. That coincided with the arrival of Schwartz in ’99, when Tennessee contained and almost beat the mighty Rams in the Super Bowl.

* Coached in the playoffs in four other season, and is there as a No. 1 seed this year.

* Schwartz, 42, not only coached in Cleveland (1995) but is perceived as having an affinity for the region. He combines youth and experience.

Lerner might worry

* Working with Fisher doesn’t make a man Fisher. Schwartz would be a young first-time head coach.

* Schwartz strikes some as being bright to a fault. He thinks so much of his own opinion that he tends to ignore others, a trait that can doom first-time head coach who must learn to delegate.

* The Titans’ had a top-five defense this year, but Schwartz’s side of the ball was no Music City Miracle for quite a while. From 2002-04, Butch Davis’ Browns allowed fewer points than the Titans.

Legend
Legend
I don't know who is good for us....

All Pro
All Pro
Yeah, there are a few good options for us...I think Mike Shanahan would be good just for the simple fact of how well he works with QB's, and I'm curious if his running game is his system, or the actual players he always plugs into it....I also like Marty, who he didn't put on the list....but I'm not sure if Marty can play well with a GM.....

[Linked Image]
"Winning is not a some time thing, it's an all the time thing" ....-Lombardi-
Legend
Legend
And Turk, feel the LOVE rolling outta the stands, week in & week out! Line up to pat your back, compliment your mama, it is all sweetness and light in the Bigs! Step right up coach!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I will help him pack, and he has 20-20. Right up there with the Favre move IMO. I wish him a safe trip. Maybe if he is allowed or told to run a real defensive scheme, he might be a DC, not a placeholder. Our secondary sucked mightily, despite all the official noise about youth and improvement and a few plays here and there. Stoopid sets, covers, no blitz help, and seldom got themselves off the field. Gone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh McDaniels

Mike Shanahan

Rex Ryan
Eric Mangini
Jim Schwartz

Shanahan has the best football mind out there of the bunch..he'll find a way to beat you.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Eric Mangini

Lerner might like

* He might have been too young to be a first-time head coach, but now he has three years of experience with the Jets and will turn 38 in two weeks.

shep...thanks for the post

...Concerning Mangini...it bothers me to hear the Jets players talking of a locker room split concerning Brett Favre and now so openly taking to the media now. It's obvious that the Jets players don't want Favre back.

A good HC would have noticed the problem and addressed it and not allowed it to fester to this point. Then again, it appears that no one is in charge in New York now?

It makes one wonder, who made the decision to bring Favre in.

It's looking like the Jets are a horribly run franchise, worse than the Browns.

I've not warmed up to Mangini and the more I hear from the Jets players, I believe he's wrong for Cleveland, in any capacity.

mac #338326 01/02/09 09:24 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I tend to agree Mac.....the vibes are all wrong, and the reports coming out of NY display that it was a team in obvious disarray.

I would hope we go with Shanahan or even Dan Reeves. Kinda leery of going the Ferentz route........just in wait and see mode, not gonna clamor too much about it because it will do no good. *shrug*

mac #338327 01/02/09 09:33 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I've not warmed up to Mangini and the more I hear from the Jets players, I believe he's wrong for Cleveland, in any capacity.

Not for nothin, but this jones guy for the Jets says that Mangini isn't the reason for the team failures.. he puts it all on Favre.. at least that's whats being said on ESPN..

Like I said, Not for nothin... but maybe Mangini isn't the culprit the Jets managment would have you believe. Still, there is something about him that doesn't exactly warm my heart either. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's the emotionless comment.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jk to add this...

Cleveland Browns like Eric Mangini, Scott Pioli, too. Can they get them both?

by Mary Kay Cabot, Plain Dealer Reporter
Friday January 02, 2009, 6:11 AM

The Browns' strong interest in fired Jets coach Eric Mangini could impact their search for a front-office executive, a league source with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.
The Browns interviewed Mangini on Tuesday night and were impressed with him. They interviewed Patriots Vice President Scott Pioli on Wednesday and liked him, too.

But it's unknown if the two would be willing to work together after the Spygate scandal, so for the Browns, it might come to this: Do they hire the coach they love or the general manager they love?

If the Browns hire Mangini, knowing there is evidence that the coach is the biggest indicator of a franchise's success, he'd probably already have his own right-hand personnel man in mind. If they hire Pioli, he'd undoubtedly be given the authority to hire his own coach.

One thing is certain: The Browns want their coach and GM in complete synch this time, so they'd let each man choose his partner. Pioli and Mangini were once close, but it is unknown exactly where they stand after the yearlong controversy over the Patriots' taping of the Jets' defensive signals.

Pioli left his meeting with the Browns still intent on going through with his scheduled interview with the Kansas City Chiefs. A source told The Plain Dealer on Thursday that the two sides parted ways with no timeframe for a decision from Pioli. The source said a report in the Boston Herald that the Browns gave him a deadline of Thursday was untrue.

The Browns were scheduled to interview Falcons President Rich McKay on Thursday, but the interview was postponed because McKay wanted to focus on Atlanta's playoff game Saturday in Phoenix against the Cardinals, a source said. Foxsports.com's Jay Glazer also reported Thursday that McKay and the Browns talked but "McKay informed them he is happy where he is and did not want to interview for the job or consider it until after the rest of the candidates had run their course in Cleveland."

Perhaps McKay sensed the Browns were going in a different direction, and that direction would be either Pioli or Mangini.

The Browns continue to interview other head coaching candidates, but it could be difficult for any of them to trump Mangini. They interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Thursday and will meet with Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz on Saturday. They've also received permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and will interview Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker over the next couple of days.

Tucker also will interview for the Jets' head coach vacancy, profootballtalk.com reported Thursday.

If none of those candidates outshine Mangini, the Browns - who want to act fast - could offer Mangini a contract soon.

But the Browns also were of the mind that things could change quickly and that Pioli could be ready to leave New England. A source said Pioli had things to work out before making up his mind on what he wanted to do.

Spagnuolo also interviewed with the Lions on Thursday and will meet with the Jets on Saturday. He's believed to be the Jets' No. 1 candidate. McDaniels also is being wooed by the Broncos, ESPN.com reported.

The Browns are still interested in talking to fired Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, but he is not expected to be a top candidate.

Meanwhile, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, who would reportedly be on Pioli's short list of candidates, said Thursday after the Outback Bowl: "Scott's a great friend of mine and I think it's a mutual thing. I think it's presumptuous to think anybody knows what he's doing right now. He and I haven't talked in three weeks. We've both been doing our jobs. I've got a great job at Iowa. I've said that many, many times. The people are fantastic and I just feel very fortunate."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

web page

Last edited by mac; 01/02/09 10:19 AM.

mac #338329 01/02/09 10:43 AM
Legend
Legend
What would you rather have?

An experienced GM and a rookie coach, or an experienced coach and a rookie GM?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The interviews .......

Link Copied to Clipboard