Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
tpz Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
OMFG!!!!!

To all the original Dawgtalkers - I apologize. I was looking forward to a rational discussion board but sadly it looks like chicken little and his band of idiots migrated over here as well...

CALM DOWN!!!!! We traded with a rival?! OH NO, How dare we give them an under-sized SS in the 4th for a mid-lower 3rd round pick!

Future hall of famer!! LMAOAYSFI

I think this offseason has been solid so far. This draft was boo-boo to begin with so trading away picks for next years is fine with me. We have filled our front 7 very well, added two offensive minded head coaches that can scheme for the strengths of our QB, added an attacking style defense and a coach that is good enough to make it work. We had a plan going into this draft and are sticking to it.

Lombardi & Banner get an A+ for having a plan and the chutzpah to stick to it! We aren't going to be in the playoffs next year guys. This draft wasn't supposed to get us over the hump. We'll install a new offense and defense this year - struggle here, succeed there - and flesh out our playoff contender in next years draft.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

You could have thrown a Dart at a wall full of names ?

You are seriously suggesting that blind chance is better than trading for a 3rd round pick?

That is simply too idiotic to tolerate.

you had a good run Hank.
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
We don't need the Steelers 3rd round pick next year to get one of the premium quarterbacks next year. All the Browns have to do is what the Colts did 2 years ago, which was to make sure we don't win any games this year and then we will have the number one overall pick. We then get the franchise quarterback we have always wanted.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So 139, 175, 217, and 221 is what we have, right?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wanted a safety in the 4th round, maybe a TE. Know there is nothing.

Why is everyone acting like we just gave the Steelers our pick without compensation?

we got decent compensation... didn't care who we traded with or who they wanted .. we had need at CB and safety... some decent ones where there and we walked away. ... that is all I am saying... still a dumb move imo

You don't just take a CB or a S because you need one. This isn't Madden.

I can't say I like this trade, but I can't say I dislike it. I'd have to see how the front office structured their boards. This is a weak draft class. At this time next year, we'll be happy we made the move. For better or worse, I can pretty much guarantee that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

First trade between the Browns and the Steelers since 1968, says ESPN-Cleveland. They are also saying we traded out because the Giants took Nassib, FWIW.

SO since the guy we wanted got picked ahead of us, Lombardi panicked and traded the pick away? Anyone remember Kyle Brady and Craig Powell? Guess who the brilliant GM who did that was??

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

So 139, 175, 217, and 221 is what we have, right?

139 for sure-- after that who the hell knows

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yes, and they all better be starters.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We aren't going to be in the playoffs next year guys.

I actually think there is a possibility we make the playoffs. I expect at least a 500 season.

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

OMFG!!!!!

To all the original Dawgtalkers - I apologize. I was looking forward to a rational discussion board but sadly it looks like chicken little and his band of idiots migrated over here as well...

CALM DOWN!!!!! We traded with a rival?! OH NO, How dare we give them an under-sized SS in the 4th for a mid-lower 3rd round pick!

I think this offseason has been solid so far. This draft was boo-boo to begin with so trading away picks for next years is fine with me. We have filled our front 7 very well, added two offensive minded head coaches that can scheme for the strengths of our QB, added an attacking style defense and a coach that is good enough to make it work. We had a plan going into this draft and are sticking to it.

Lombardi & Banner get an A+ for having a plan and the chutzpah to stick to it! We aren't going to be in the playoffs next year guys. This draft wasn't supposed to get us over the hump. We'll install a new offense and defense this year - struggle here, succeed there - and flesh out our playoff contender in next years draft.

You concede the entire year of 2013 then.
Flesh out our playoff contender in next years draft?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I think anytime you can trade in a pick past round 3 for a pick in rounds 1-3, you should do it.

Totally OK with the move, and if you're worried about Shamarko Thomas "haunting" us for years, c'mon man.

I mean, before they switched the structure of a draft around, wouldn't have been trading in a day 2 pick for a day 1 pick?

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

First trade between the Browns and the Steelers since 1968, says ESPN-Cleveland. They are also saying we traded out because the Giants took Nassib, FWIW.

SO since the guy we wanted got picked ahead of us, Lombardi panicked and traded the pick away? Anyone remember Kyle Brady and Craig Powell? Guess who the brilliant GM who did that was??

KING

So you are saying that you would have rather Lombardi make the same mistake rather than do what he did, trade the pick away for a higher pick next year, basically saying that he was a moron from learning from his mistake?

The logic in here is hilarious.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

OMFG!!!!!

Thank you! Well said. So we trade with Pitt for a swap of mid-rounders...big deal. They really are sticking to a plan and I love it! They don't seem like they are making knee jerk panic picks like Heckert would do.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
j/c

First, let me say I live in the Syracuse area, am a Syracuse football fan, and have seen every game Shamarko Thomas has played in, while attending most of them.

I like Shamarko, and I wanted him on the Browns.

But at the same time I realize he is more SS than FS, is short, showed no ball skills in college, and was constantly banged up.

So I don't think losing out on him is the end of the world, especially for a 3rd round pick, which is very good value.

Everyone is whining about not having a 4th round pick this year, but think of how unhappy Steelers fans will be when they don't have a 3rd round pick next year.

The Browns didn't just give their pick away, they took something from the Steelers too.

There are more picks remaining, plus UDFAs and veteran FAs who can be signed once the draft is over.

Missing out on Shamarko Thomas isn't going to ruin the Browns season, and having an extra 3rd rounder next year will be of value.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know the value of next years draft, but it still tells me some things..one they were after Nassib..two I'm getting a Chris Grant image ..blow up the board if your player is gone..
There are still players there who can help.
I'm ticked at this and also we know how well the Stoolers draft..
Phillip Thomas was there..wow!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

KING

Yea that is what we remember because that was when the franchise was in Cleveland. One year later that trade turned into 2 1st round draft picks and the Ravens turned that into 2 Hall of Famers Jonathon Ogden and Ray Lewis. That is what trading down for future picks can bring.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
like the trade maybe ben gets hurts and this is a top five 3rd rounder.

Rookie
Rookie
all I know is the TV coverage sucks.
The talking heads didn't even fill us in on the trade.
They just keep talking hit about NY.
Hope they get hit by a bus on the way home.

Last edited by OBSCURED.BY.CLOUDS; 04/27/13 01:27 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah the coverage is ridiculous.
trades are being made and they dont even mention it

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's the same every year. Pretty annoying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So you would be happier if we took a guy we had, say a fifth round grade on?

This time next year, we're all going to be elated that we have two thirds.

Not at all, I'm just a little confused by the strategy. Trading current picks for future ones is a value proposition. If this was a team like Miami, I would have jumped all over it.....where that pick could have been a round+ better but a division rival? Who hasn't picked higher than #17 in the last 5 drafts (twice picking in the 30's)? and you don't get a pick this year as well? That's just not good value return IMO.

I'm on board with the thought that "we can't fill every hole this year" but we've only made two selections following a (5-11) season. Obviously we got Gordon a year earlier but it still is what it is. It doesn't change we won just 5 games or that we have other needs that quite frankly, could be painful to wait a year on.

Maybe we address some of the other positions with cuts or get lucky on an UDFA / late round pick but delaying selections on a team that hasn't won more than 5 games in each of the last 5 seasons just seems like a poor strategy. Especially when Pittsburgh's past performance tells you that the ceiling on that pick is likely #20 in the 3rd round (barring some catastrophic injury), which wouldn't even be a full round return on sacrificing a current pick for a future one.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
We just did what the Patriots always get praised for doing and it's the end of the world for Browns? C'mon People. lets just see how this plays out. Maybe they see plenty of player with similar grades in the fifth round.

Also this doesn't mean we target Nassib, Maybe we were ready to pick a player and the Steelers call the Browns with what they deemed a good offer.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Maybe the FO and coaching staff feel like this is a roster ready to compete.

I believe it is, I believe conservative coaching is what held us down.

Do we have holes? Absolutely, but so does every team.

We are ready to compete, IMO.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Haha...Trading with the Steelers. Followed by them later selecting Landry Jones has to be upsetting some people.

T
tpz Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Quote:

OMFG!!!!!

You concede the entire year of 2013 then.
Flesh out our playoff contender in next years draft?

Concede? No, I'm not giving up on the season but if you actually expect a team that has been mired in futility for over a decade to suddenly have the lights come on in the midst of a complete and total change of philosophy on offense AND defense you are crazy. I'd love for it to happen but reality is that we will have growing pains.

I DO EXPECT to show improvement and am also expecting a .500 record but that is far from a playoff record. Next year will about about learning who fits where. Where we excel, we we are deficient.

In the 2014 draft our FO will have a clearer picture of where this team stands and what areas should be addressed.

So no, I am not giving up on next year. I am realistically expecting to see a young team struggle early but make improvements down the stretch as they become comfortable in their new schemes. I love the fact that we will have an extra 3rd round pick next year to spend or package and move up.

Use your head, not your heart....

D
Legend
Legend
D
I was just thinking along the same lines. Over the past 10-12 years we would have been the team giving up future 3's for current 4's.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
This is a good trade, the Browns add a 3rd round pick next year and weaken the Steelers at the same time.

Steeler fans have got to be pissed, they just traded a division rival a 3rd next year for a 4th this year.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
if the browns would have made the same deal with honey badger that the cardinals did then we should have taken him...

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Steelers have found a replacement for Roethlisburger!

The Bengals are doing well

The Vikings are doing well

The Ravens have filled in about every hole on their defense plus have added depth.

The Browns have 2 suspect additions to their team, and some free agents who will never bring compensatory picks.

Bottom line, this offseason has set the Browns nucleuos of a roster back about 3-5 years of getting OLD and getting less talented.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Bottom line, this offseason has set the Browns nucleuos of a roster back about 3-5 years

I just want to make sure everyone sees this comment.

O
2nd String
2nd String
O
Just a thought they may be aguiring draf picks to make a trade for a player they covet from another team. Ryan Mallet?

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
over Mcfadden? you are nuts

D
Legend
Legend
D
The thing you have to remember about Honey Badger is that Honey Badger don't give a bleep. He's one party away from a 4 game suspension, and two parties away from a full season suspension. JMO, of course.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

balt took John Simon, not a good thing for osu fans, now gotta root against a good guy.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Just a thought they may be aguiring draf picks to make a trade for a player they covet from another team. Ryan Mallet?

yea that's what I said.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Maybe the FO and coaching staff feel like this is a roster ready to compete.

I believe it is, I believe conservative coaching is what held us down.

Do we have holes? Absolutely, but so does every team.

We are ready to compete, IMO.

I agree with this.

It's hard to see anybody that is going to be drafted from here on out truly compete for a starting role on this team, this year. Why draft people in positions that are beginning to develop with people that haven't shown anything yet ( in these late rounds) ? You get a 3rd round pick next year, which is a person that can come in and potentially replace a starter. Your aren't finding that with these picks right now. Sure, you need people to come in and push the current starters, but if you don't like the value, take the better offer.

So far this draft is
1) Mingo
2) Gordon
3) Mcfadden
4) Bess

This is one of the best (1/2 way PROVED ) drafts the browns have ever had.

oioioioi
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is a good trade, the Browns add a 3rd round pick next year and weaken the Steelers at the same time.

Steeler fans have got to be pissed, they just traded a division rival a 3rd next year for a 4th this year.

I know all about trades and who bests whom..but the Stoolers don't need extra stuff to add depth ..they're already set..this worries me no matter what the Browns are doing for next year ,whch is obvious..load up on picks to make moves.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Lost in all of this is Ryan Nassib Sucks and the Browns shouldn't have been going after him.

I don't have to be a naysayer. The Chargers have had a good draft.

I just can't find a way to give the Browns a D- grade. It is an absolute F grade

And I don't know anything about football players, Absolutely Nothing, But I can tell you don't trade away something for nothing, you don't avoid the main chance to add talent for an entire year.
You don't come out of 129 picks with 2 suspect players and a "blah" trade fror Bess.

The Packers have had a nice draft.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Here is a pick I wish Cleveland could had...Kyle Juszczyk.

T
tpz Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
And we may have missed out on Nassib but Dysert might stil be available for us and I think he projects better into this style of offense better than Nassib.

And who said the Stoolers found a replacement for Worthlessburger? Landry Jones? Ha thats funny

Heres the skinny on "Big Ben's Replacement"
STRENGTHS Prototypical pocket passer with NFL size. Extremely productive. Can stretch the field with his arm and shows good zip on passes to all parts of the field when his feet are set. Quick release makes him very effective in the short to intermediate passing game. Challenging throws in every start, whether threading the ball versus cover-two or connecting on a back-shoulder pattern.
WEAKNESSES Really struggles when under duress. Feels pressure when it isn't there. Not an elite athlete, takes time to get to hand-off spot from under center. Can move out of the pocket to escape pressure, but is usually caught up in traffic and is brought down too easily in the backfield. Confidence waxes and wanes throughout the game and season. Ball comes out of his hand poorly at times, floating across or down the field. Downfield accuracy is erratic, missing open receivers on the run; also misfires on out routes too often. Inconsistent on his touch on fades or throws over the top of defenders. Looks to the sidelines for pre-snap adjustments, looks to be confused by complex defensive looks.
NFL COMPARISON Matt Cassel
BOTTOM LINE The NFL-sized pocket passer can be decisive and flashes the accuracy to pick apart defenses at the next level. However, his tendency to get rattled under pressure is a major issue. Also, when things start to go downhill, he lacks a short memory; his confidence is shaken. He is also inconsistent in his reads and decision making.

Sounds like he gets spooked and is weak in the pocket. The complete opposite of Ben. I would love to see this kid starting against our new attacking defense.

Last edited by tpz; 04/27/13 01:55 PM.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Official Day 3 Discussion Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard