Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

I had enough of this guy,and getting lost under the flag during his 1st start was all we needed to know.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns axe Caleb Hanie:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/10/browns-cut-caleb-hanie/

Shocking seeing he was given the backup role ahead of Tanney. Wouldn't that mean they should have axed Tanney? Beats me...

N
Legend
Legend
N
maybe Hanie knew more of the playbook last week but has looked worse and Tanney caught up on the playbook?

i'm guessing there's a fine line to figure out if the QB4 or QB5 on the roster deserves the spot more.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Browns axe Caleb Hanie.../quote]

...and sign RB Edwin Baker. Was Tashard Choice not still available? The Bills cut Choice recently. Man, what was thought last season to be a position of strength, has seriously deteriorated. And no, that is NOT a shot directly at the current FO, but they seriously need to rebuild the RB position.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Choice signed w/the Colts the day after he was released by the Bills.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks, I missed that one.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Browns axe Caleb Hanie:

Shocking seeing he was given the backup role ahead of Tanney. Wouldn't that mean they should have axed Tanney? Beats me...

I think Hanie was signed to be a backup #2 and Tanney a developmental #3. I'm thinking we cut Hanie because Weeden is probably going to be healthy enough to be our #2 again (ugh).

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We could have gotten Choice if we put a claim on him, he was on waivers. He passed waivers unclaimed though and then signed with Indy

Baker I remember being a plodder and useless as a receiver. Makes no sense to me

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Makes no sense to me

Thanks, Dj. We seem to be getting in more desperate straits each week...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Valid point. Likely right too. As for Weeden, honestly, he didn't play too bad last game and it hurts to say that as I've really ripped the kid.

I guess when you play with that "my career is over so let's wing it" mentality - he can throw accurate balls and that pass to Oby or Fozzy (the checkdown) - it actually had TOUCH on it. Not a freaking laser guided missile coming in at Mach 1 speed.

Personally, hopefully... we ride the season out with Campbell. I like going into next year with Campbell, Hoyer and whomever is derived from the draft.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Browns axe Caleb Hanie:

I think Hanie was signed to be a backup #2 and Tanney a developmental #3. I'm thinking we cut Hanie because Weeden is probably going to be healthy enough to be our #2 again (ugh).

Excellent job. You are all over it when you said that Tanney is the developmental guy, while Hanie was a stop-gap.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Makes no sense to me

That's probably a good thing that it doesn't make sense to you two.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Makes no sense to me

That's probably a good thing that it doesn't make sense to you two.

Why pass on Choice and pick up Baker? If you have a chance to improve yourself, etc...

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Why trade up for TRich? Why draft Weeden?

We still playing that game?

How about this one? Why trade TRich to Indy?

You really wanna talk about Choice, while not mentioning the other stuff? Really?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You really wanna talk about Choice, while not mentioning the other stuff? Really?

Where are you going with this...and why? My only contention is that the RB position is getting poorer each week...or should I say "weak".

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The "other stuff" is on a football field along with 1000 dead horses archived in as many threads on this board.

Are you really going to push your agenda crap over every discussion? Even on the "level" of Baker/Choice? How many times do posters have to tell you how annoying that is?

There are some posters that think Choice is the better RB, big deal, there's no conspiracy here. Move on and get over it or make a case for Baker if you disagree. Talk football, remember?

#gmstrong

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Oh..........and you just took DJ's word for it. You haven't learned that he never passes up an opportunity to bash this FO?

Here is one published scouting report on Baker:

Positives:

Works hard in the weight room and it shows — has a chiseled physique. Has a 600-pound squat and can bench-press nearly twice his weight. Runs behind his pads with a low center of gravity. Good balance and vision (reads blocks). Churns his legs, barrels through contact and steps out of ankle tackles. Has quick feet and shows one-cut ability to stick his foot in the dirt and accelerate upfield. Willingly faces up in pass protection. Tough and durable. Confident, mature and intense. Has considerable tread remaining on the tires.
Negatives:

Lacks ideal height. Shows some tightness in his hips and produced marginal shuttle times at the Combine. Average elusiveness and leg extension (lacks extra gear to pull away from the pack). Takes time to get rolling (confirmed by paltry 1.64-second 10-yard time at the Combine). Minimal receiving production (was barely used in this area). Carries the ball loosely and ball security has been an issue. Slid to No. 2 on the depth chart as a junior.
Summary:

Compactly built with an NFL body, Baker is a strong, competitive, tough back with broad appeal given his scheme versatility and pro makeup. Took a back seat to Le’Veon Bell as a junior, but his running skills play well in man- or zone-blocking schemes and he is capable of sharing the load in tandem or shouldering 20-plus carries if need be. Has been described as a poor man’s Ray Rice by NFL evaluators.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/edwin-baker-4/

Baker is younger. Choice was drafted in 2008. Do you really think that signing Choice would be smarter than signing Baker? Are we going to the playoffs this year? Seriously, man..........

And to clarify...........I am not saying Baker is anything special, but really................???? Tashard Choice is the answer?

Last edited by Referee2; 12/11/13 06:16 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
My "agenda crap?" Really? What the heck is this?

Quote:

We could have gotten Choice if we put a claim on him, he was on waivers. He passed waivers unclaimed though and then signed with Indy

Baker I remember being a plodder and useless as a receiver. Makes no sense to me

OMG.........we passed on the great Tashard Choice. We would have had such a great running game if only our FO wasn't so stupid.

Got news for both of you guys..........McGahee, as old as he is, is better than Choice and I would rather take a shot on Baker [which probably will not pan out] than sign a guy like Choice. But yeah...........it makes no sense to you two.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... if only our FO wasn't so stupid...

Aaarrgh! You are the one injecting the "stupid" FO into this discussion, not me. I specifically stated earlier that my comment was NOT a direct shot at the FO. And for the record: I have always been a McGahee fan since his days with the Bills...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So this was agenda to you? Really? You're truly paranoid

I actually corrected your initial claim that he was signed by Indy the day after he was cut, which made it Sound like we had no shot at him.

Then I disagreed to sign Baker, a RB in his 3rd season without an actual NFL carry over Choice, a career 4.3ypc runner in his 6th season. I hoped we'd put a claim on him when I read that he was cut by the Bills.

I have an opinion and made a point and now tell us what your "contribution" was to this? I even put your lame game in my sig with the hope you'd stop this redundant crap

#gmstrong

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
And what does "makes no sense" mean?

Seriously, you guys are going to make a big deal over this? Choice vs. Baker?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

And what does "makes no sense" mean?

Seriously, you guys are going to make a big deal over this? Choice vs. Baker?

1. Thanks for misquoting me out of comtext again to prove my point. "Makes no sense TO ME" is the full quote and denotes, surprise, my opinion, which you try to misconstrue, bend, reduce again and again and again.....

2. Hilarious. I invite anyone to re-read this intellectual back and forth on the Instant Classic Baker/Choice debate that ends with Vers accusing the posters he attacked to make a big deal out of it

#gmstrong

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If you have a chance to improve yourself, etc...

Quote:

Where are you going with this...and why? My only contention is that the RB position is getting poorer each week...or should I say "weak".

I didn't take this remark as a slam against the person making the comment being responded to.

I think that too many people are too jumpy and have too thin skin to take any discussion as just that, discussion. If someone asks them a question about why they make a statement, they get all bent out of shape about it.

Answer as simply as you think you can and leave it at that.

Baker vs. Choice? Who cares? Neither one would be here past the end of the season anyway, if that long. It's silly to argue about that. Frankly, it's silly to suggest that we should have signed Choice over Baker. What's the point in it?

Can we get back to discussing Caleb Hanie being cut on a Caleb Hanie thread?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c but i wanted us to draft Baker....glad we finally got ahold of the kid. i think yall are going to really like his running style, and ability.

#brownsgoodkarma
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Exactly.

Neither of these guys talk about how we fleeced the Colts, but they wanna complain about us picking up Baker over Choice.

Okie Dokie.

Legend
Legend
J/C ...... maybe the Browns brain trust felt that one older RB was enough, and they wanted to take a look at another kid with potential to help them next year.

Choice, at 29, probably isn't going to be that guy ...... and one older RB on the roster was probably enough.

I read a few scouting reports on this new kid, and have seen him referred to as a "poor man's Ray Rice".

He might be an interesting player.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah the kid has alot of tools, and runs with authority. im looking forward to watching him in an orange helmet sunday. hopefully he gets the chance to show what he can do sooner rather than later.i think alot of the doubters on this board will be pleasently surprised.

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Neither of these guys talk about how we fleeced the Colts...

That was beyond the scope of the original discussion, another story altogether. You are trying to bait me with a can-o-worms. It won't work...although a 6 pack of cold ones might do the trick.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

yeah the kid has alot of tools, and runs with authority. im looking forward to watching him in an orange helmet sunday. hopefully he gets the chance to show what he can do sooner rather than later.i think alot of the doubters on this board will be pleasently surprised.

told you guys, this kid can play

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

told you guys, this kid can play

Hope he keeps it up. He looks great so far.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
i watched this kid in college, he is a poor mans ray rice

#brownsgoodkarma
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good call, Tubby.

The kid looked very good on Sunday.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Really?...Campbell has been the starter for the last 2 games,and both Weeden and Tanney could have played.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Hanie

Link Copied to Clipboard