Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
V
Legend
Legend
V
I liked Gase's game plans, potential, and the backing he had from other bright minds in the game. Not sure if he could have been a good HC, but I liked the guy.

I like Quinn and Pettine. I still like Malzahn.

I do have to say......and this is pretty stupid..........but, I love the looks of Pettine and Quinn. Especially Pettine. He looks like he could rip the head off of Tomlin and poop down his throat.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

So I could be the next coach? YES!!!!!! Now get me a FB.

I have that look myself, but screw a useless fullback. I'll put a player back there who demands attention other than drawing people to the ball,

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c

The media is reporting that Gase was Haslam's guy all along?

Have the two even met? Gase has not even been interviewed once, but he WAS Haslam's guy all along?

I'm not buying it.

Neither am I, but if you listen to talking heads on the radio or TV, they're back into suffering from the 'Woe is me' Syndrome.

I'm not convinced that Gase was ever a high consideration. Just mentioning his name seemed to evoke the media to declare him the #1 candidate du jour. The first #1 candidate du jour was Josh McDaniels.

I'll only say this much, I'll listen to someone that was actually in the room trying to make decisions about who to hire before I take the word of someone nincompoop trying to sell a story or run up website hits or followers on twitter.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

The media is reporting that Gase was Haslam's guy all along?

Have the two even met? Gase has not even been interviewed once, but he WAS Haslam's guy all along?

I'm not buying it.

Neither am I, but if you listen to talking heads on the radio or TV, they're back into suffering from the 'Woe is me' Syndrome.

I'm not convinced that Gase was ever a high consideration. Just mentioning his name seemed to evoke the media to declare him the #1 candidate du jour. The first #1 candidate du jour was Josh McDaniels.

I'll only say this much, I'll listen to someone that was actually in the room trying to make decisions about who to hire before I take the word of someone nincompoop trying to sell a story or run up website hits or followers on twitter.

I agree 100%. Why some fans believe every spin from the media is mind numbing.

I forgot who twitted/blogged. He wrote something to the fact he can't wait to hear the FO spin after they failed to sign their first consideration Gase! Huh! Didn't Haslam stated in his presser they will not talk to anyone regarding their plans. Yet, fans believe this writer and start building gallows to hang these FO guys.

I'm not totally sold on the FO, but come on chase everything the media preaches! smh!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I never recall any NFL HC vacancy where three of the highly publicized candidates announced they weren't interested.

Can't say I'm surprised though .But I know we'll keep hearing BS excuses about it.

I just heard somewhere (I think Mary Kay Cabot) that Gase called Haslam today to withdraw his name from the search. Who are the other two that have withdrawn from contention?

Maybe the word is out there that this isn't a good place to come? In the case of Gase, I'm not sure I'd come here. He's got Manning for at least another year I'd think.. Maybe more and a shot at getting to another Superbowl next season.. I think I'd stay put..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

If a guy has doubts or lacks the confidence or cajones to be a HC because we fired a guy after one year or our fans and media are big bogy men to scared of then I don't want him anyway.

He might have been great, he might have been a bust... if he doesn't want it... that's cool... time to move on... I don't care if he was first second or 50th choice.... if his heart aint in it then stay were you are.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
bugs #843305 01/21/14 09:01 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I don't think anyone should believe everything from the media either but it is hard to dispute that 3 guys have bowed out of the picture. Has that ever happened before, anywhere? It isn't just a few local reporters writing these articles either, rather I don't remember reading a positive one since this whole fiasco started.

The whole Gase being the top choice may be just complete guess work, I'm not sure, but I do think there is no doubt that a negative vibe is in the air around Cleveland.

I think it is just as ridiculous to dismiss all of the media as it is to believe all of them.
jmo.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

like Quinn and Pettine. I still like Malzahn.

Im OK with Quinn or Malzahn, but Pettine!? really? that guy is a bum!

Vers, The Browns put up 37 points on Pettines D and our Offense was horrid this year....and we put up those 37 points with a god awful QB named Weeden. Pettine had trouble stopping Brandon Weeden of all people...onthat alone I want no part of Pettine, and thankfully I don't think our FO does either.

I think Quinn is the target, and has been all along...just the FO has been trying to play it close to vest.

Barring a disaster, or Quinn backing out, I think Quinn will be our next Head Coach, IMO the only way Pettine gets the job is if Quin and Malzahn back out....right now Quinn is the top choice, with Malzahn a close 2nd....Pettine will only get the job if the other two don't want it....if we get stuck with Pettine...were in trouble....

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Bowles and McD.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Bowles and McD.

Wow, Forgot all about McD..LOL and now that you mention it, I do remember Bowles backing out.

Thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
jb52 #843309 01/21/14 09:06 PM
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I think it is just as ridiculous to dismiss all of the media as it is to believe all of them.

jmo.

Why would it be ridiculous to dismiss the media stories? They're only trying to be sensational and drive the story.

They may actually be having stories about why Chudzinski wasn't fire if they had kept him.

I still think that they may have fire Chudzinski because they had to so that they could get rid of the coordinators.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Honestly, I am more concerned about the candidates that have turned us down....

Josh McDaniels said "thanks but no thanks" and him pulling out because he wasnt "The front runner" is just BS....a guy applies for job, has an interview, and then waits to see if he gets called and hired...McDaniels turned down the job because he found out what kind of idiot Banner is...

he may be friends with Lombardi, but just because your friends with a guy don't mean you can work with him. My best friend in this world (we have been like brothers since the 4th grade), I couldn't work with him though, he is way too laid back and likes to "dilly dally" I am "petal to the metal" get the job done now, and get it done right as soon as possible kinda guy" its two personalities that would clash, we are like brothers, but we won't work together. So as i said, just because Lombardi and McDaniels are friends don't mean they could work well together.

Todd Bowles - This guy was a legit candidate, in fact he was probably a better candidate then McDaniels....he may have been the top candidate...the guy has 20 years experience in NFL Coaching, He played in the NFL, This was his 1st legit shot to get a HC job in the NFL, and he pulled out....again he didn't pull out because he "wasn't the top guy" again thats BS, typical Haslam paid Cleveland Media spin (I wonder how much Jimmy is paying the Plain Dealer and MKC). Its most likely Bowles after the interview with Lombardi and Banner seen how much of morons they were and said...nope, no thanks.

Adam Gase - Now when Gase backs out, that tells you something right there, and he didn't even interview...sounds to me word is getting around that Banner and Lombardi (mostly Banner) is not a good guy to work for...Banner has a bad rap in this league...there is a reason The Eagles owner got rid of him....there is a reason Andy Reid and Banner never got along....So Gase is strike 3.

Look there are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL, if you have never been a HC before, any opportunity that opens itsself to you is an opportunity you will jump at if you want to be a head coach....you may never get another oportunity...the fact that 3 guys have told us "thanks but no thanks" tells me something is wrong big time...1 guy bowing out, fine, 2 guys...maybe but not a big deal, 3 guys? we got a problem....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...45671--nfl.html

There is a good article for you,. read the comments and see what the perception is from fans and casual people outside of Cleveland...its not good....

IMO, we won't get a quality coach or top FA's to come here and fix this mess until Banner and Lombardi are gone out of the FO.... Banner wants too much control over the roster, and Lombardi is a GM in name only, he is really just the head of scouting and has no say over roster authority....good luck getting a quality coach to come here when Banner has a huge say over the roster....its just not going to happen.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
The latest from Grossi:

@TonyGrossi Hearing #Browns may pop the question to Mike Pettine tonight.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
There is no doubt that reporters embellish stories to sell them but, the adage where there is smoke.... kinda rings true and I have a feeling some of these reporters have reputable connections telling them "feelings from other coaches or whatnot".
Like I said they are probably exaggerated but not completely false.

Rambo #843313 01/21/14 09:23 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Saying I hope Grossi is right leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I hope Grossi is right.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I wonder if anyone has even considered that we may have told them we were no longer interested rather than them backing out?

Not saying that is true, but is it a possibility? More likely? Less likely?

jb52 #843315 01/21/14 09:25 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
jb52, grant it there are some members of the media who are worth a read but numbers are small. Media is all about attracting attention. More people who read their stuff the bigger they get. There was a code about reputable reporting. Today that it is all out the door. Media can report anything with little or no facts. Love it when fans will call these guys on the carpet.

Rambo #843316 01/21/14 09:25 PM
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The latest from Grossi:

We'll have to see. If it doesn't happen, Grossi can say '#Browns MAY pop the question...'

Legend
Legend
Man, that's a bucket full of Assumptions.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Rambo #843318 01/21/14 09:26 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The latest from Grossi:

I really dont care who they hire, but if it's Pettine, a day after Gase withdrew....well, legt's just say it sure wasn't their first Choice...again. I really dont care about that either, as they at least made sure to have backup Plans, but it is somewhat discomforting that they can't execute what they want....for whatever reason (FO? QB? Power structure? PR?)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
jb52 #843319 01/21/14 09:28 PM
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

There is no doubt that reporters embellish stories to sell them but, the adage where there is smoke.... kinda rings true and I have a feeling some of these reporters have reputable connections telling them "feelings from other coaches or whatnot".

If the adage held true, we'd have McDaniels, Gase or any of the other candidates as the HC already and this would be a 'Woohoo! (insert name here) is the Browns new HC!' thread.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

j/c:

I wonder if anyone has even considered that we may have told them we were no longer interested rather than them backing out?

Well that's the reason they gave for backing out. But that's usually not what happens when someone is no longer considered, they just get dropped off the list and no longer talked about. Something just doesn't sit right with the past two years and how Haslam and Co. have found a coach, maybe it's because they're being extremely tight lip about it, but it just doesn't feel right.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Perhaps Gase withdrew his name because the Browns told him that Pettine was their guy?

Possibility?

Nah.............we have the Three Stooges. They are always wrong. There is absolutely no hope. Man, it's been one entire year and they haven't won yet. They have to be failures. No way can they compare w/the previous regime who turned everything around in one short year.

They should be burned at the stake. Bring back The Big Show, the Drunk, and Passive Pat. Let Junior buy the team back. They were such proven winners. The new guys can't hold a candle to the past regime.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

j/c:

Perhaps, but why would you tell a guy like McDaniels that? Sure McDaniels had a bad stint in Denver, but he redeemed himself in NE and Bellichik wasn't all that great his 1st time around here in Cleveland either(Gase was a McDaniles understudy)...I bet McDaniels learned a lot from that disaster in Denver, and the next HC gig he takes, i bet he does well.

As for Bowles, why wouldn't you hire this guy? Bowles is a "firey competitor" he played in this league, he gains instant credibility in the lockeroom day one. The units he has coached have always done very well, and he has climbed the ranks, he was interim head coach for the Dolphins in 2011, and Assistant Head Coach as well. Bowles comes highly recommended from some of the top coaches in the league...why wouldnt you hire a guy like him if you had the chance?

As for Gase, the fact he wouldn't even interview is troubling....He may never get another chance to be a HC..the world is a crazy place...one minute your the best thing since sliced bread, the next minute your forgotten...see Russ Grimm...he was the biggest rising stat future HC in the NFL a few years ago, and now no one remembers him.

I think its doubtful those guys were told they were not interested, I think those guys caught wind of something they didn't like...most likely Banner....perhaps they didn't like the idea of Banner having so much control over the roster...perhaps they were not willing to concede the property authority that comes with being a HC everywhere else but here. Whatever happened, something in these interviews turned these guys away...if I was betting man, I would say its Banner....

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c:

It could be a little bit of both. Gase said that he wouldn't interview until after the SB and then heard that Pettine was getting a 2nd interview and it might have dawned on him that he may be a secondary or tertiary choice and not the primary choice of the Browns front office and that his odds of being the new Browns HC weren't as good as he might have thought before.

It's possible that he didn't want to get interviewed by the Browns only to get turned down for the job.

V
Legend
Legend
V
We're doomed.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Man, that's a bucket full of Assumptions.

Perhaps but answer me this Daman

If you wrote a resume, applied for a job, and had an interview for a job that paid much more then your current job, and was a clear promotion move up the ladder...what would cause you to call up the said company you applied for and tell them your no longer interested in the job? (outside of a significatn pay raise and promotion by your current employer)

is it really that much of an assumption? I am not saying I am 100% right, I am just saying from the outside looking in, it doesn't look good.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 01/21/14 09:40 PM.
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Perhaps Gase withdrew his name because the Browns told him that Pettine was their guy?

Possibility?

Nah.............we have the Three Stooges. They are always wrong. There is absolutely no hope. Man, it's been one entire year and they haven't won yet. They have to be failures. No way can they compare w/the previous regime who turned everything around in one short year.

They should be burned at the stake. Bring back The Big Show, the Drunk, and Passive Pat. Let Junior buy the team back. They were such proven winners. The new guys can't hold a candle to the past regime.

I don't think that the Browns would tell any candidate that some other candidate was their guy.

What I could believe is that a candidate realized that his odds of getting the job weren't as good as they may have once been and instead of getting interviewed and losing out on the job, he decided that his ego couldn't take that blow and so he withdrew his name.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We're doomed.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Quote:

Quote:

If the adage held true, we'd have McDaniels, Gase or any of the other candidates as the HC already and this would be a 'Woohoo! (insert name here) is the Browns new HC!' thread.

touche

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
“I talked to some of the players right after they fired Chud and they sounded deflated, confused and frankly embarrassed by what happen,” the outspoken Fujita said. “I’ve been out of football for a year now and I’m a fan of the Cleveland Browns. It’s hard to watch what is going on there. I really feel bad for the fans and players like D’Qwell (Jackson) and Joe Thomas who have been there for so long.”

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/scott_fujita_on_the_cleveland.html

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Nah, it would be "I can't believe we hired that stiff! Our front office are buffoons. They are The Three Stooges. They hired their guy too fast. They didn't research the candidates enough. Another stupid move by The Stooges."

V
Legend
Legend
V
That brought a tear to my eye. I feel so bad for these guys that are being paid millions to win 4 and 5 games a year..........every year..........no matter who the coach is, no matter who the GM is, no matter who the owner is.

Those poor, poor players. Gosh, I am so glad that I don't have to play a game that I love and make millions doing it. That is soooooooooooooo tragic.

Maybe we can start a relief fund for these poor souls.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If all they did was hire the local boy to ease the transition, if that REALLY their thinking, they I think even less of them than I did LOL

That's my exact feelings also. I just can't bring myself to trust these guys anymore. They really need to show me something this year, I've never even thought of dumping this team, until now, and it sucks.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Nah, it would be "I can't believe we hired that stiff! Our front office are buffoons. They are The Three Stooges. They hired their guy too fast. They didn't research the candidates enough. Another stupid move by The Stooges."

Vers: Regardless of who we hire, some people are going to like it, and some people are going to hate it. I think we can agree though the hiring would be much easier to swallow if not 1, not 2, but 3 other candidates hadn't publically withdrew from even being considered for the job. It just doesn't look good from any perspective.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's fine...........but I have never been the type to give a rat's butt how it looks.

I loved Belichick when he was here. Most hated him. He was a wreck in front of the camera. He "looked" bad. He "looked" miserable. He "looked" as though he hated all the stupid questions.

Most everyone hated the guy around here. They turned that crap into him not being able to coach. That crap didn't bother me. I saw a guy who could coach. I was a huge defender of him. The biggest in my circle. By far.

Perception overrules reality in many circles, but not mine.

It's cool if we disagree. No big deal. Let's just keep it real, shall we?

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, that is a good point.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Vers: Regardless of who we hire, some people are going to like it, and some people are going to hate it. I think we can agree though the hiring would be much easier to swallow if not 1, not 2, but 3 other candidates hadn't publically withdrew from even being considered for the job. It just doesn't look good from any perspective.

I won't answer for another poster but as for me, I don't think it looks bad at all.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

That's fine...........but I have never been the type to give a rat's butt how it looks.

I loved Belichick when he was here. Most hated him. He was a wreck in front of the camera. He "looked" bad. He "looked" miserable. He "looked" as though he hated all the stupid questions.

Most everyone hated the guy around here. They turned that crap into him not being able to coach. That crap didn't bother me. I saw a guy who could coach. I was a huge defender of him. The biggest in my circle. By far.

Perception overrules reality in many circles, but not mine.

It's cool if we disagree. No big deal. Let's just keep it real, shall we?

Fair enough, I actually liked Bellichik here as well. Bellichik did get some acceptance though because he was able to win a playoff game. We also had different ownership then too....as bad as Art Modell was at times, he was a better owner then the two past owners we have had now...I can't ever remember in my lifetime Art Modell canning a coach after one year (unless he done it before i was around)

I don't believe Pettine was their "top guy" though...its hard to think that Bowles or McDaniels are both much more viable candidates.....I think Pettine just may be the guy who is willing to eat whatever crap sandwich Banner is dishing out this week

V
Legend
Legend
V
Pettine doesn't look like a guy who eats much crap.

We'll have to see. I am not predicting success. I am simply not following the masses that it's a done deal that our current regimes are this generation's version of The Three Stooges.

Some will tell you that I am illogical for not having reached that conclusion after one long year while they couldn't reach the same conclusion after three years w/the previous regime. But yeah, I am the one who runs away from logic.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum HC Search, Part 4

Link Copied to Clipboard