Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

So he was Counseling the likes of Davone Bess, etc....?

This is what I was thinking ^

Maybe the Bess fiasco ended up on Sheas stoop.

Maybe the Gordon mess ended up on Sheas stoop???

I dont know but this could be some of why he was let go

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
- Isaac Asimov
Legend
Legend
He was probably just a victim of having a position where he didn't generate any revenue for the organization and they eliminated it.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
He's always had a positive attitude. So why did they fire him, bro?

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Quote:

His medical was too high.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

His medical was too high.

Thanks, Obama?

C
Legend
Legend
C
A positive attitude doesn't guarantee employment. We don't know why he was fired.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

A positive attitude doesn't guarantee employment. We don't know why he was fired.

Right...and in the end, who really cares? We are talking about a guy many didn't know was a part of the team and even more didn't know what he did.

If I was going to pick one of the gusses presented here, I'll go with the leak.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Aaron got Chud-bombed. Kinda like a SCUD, but on a more personal level. Seemed like a player advocate/watchdog/ gopher or more.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
We've been through so much as fans...way before 1999.

Some say that's it I don't care anymore. Some say Haslam is a good owner for what he's done. Some say he's a bad owner for what he's done.

I say - we have been through so much why don't we judge these moves until After some results. I'm not saying to not have an opinion of these moves...go right ahead and dislike it or like it. But for those who are judging it as a definite BAD or GOOD...how bout we do that in 2-3 years when we start seeing the results.

Who knows here why we fired Shea?
What was the thought process. Who is he linked to in the FO? The President? The GM. Possibly Farmer (and mind you I don't have a clue) has a better relationship with Maryland. Possibly Shea took an attitude of don't tell me what to do - I know more than you? Who Knows? Why.

If there is a void I'm sure it will get filled.

I care about those who have been fired...but if it brings an organization that will have continuity and stability and most important SUCCESS. I welcome it. Instead of being that's it I don't care anymore. I"m more of I DON'T CARE as long as it works! But I'll give it a shot just like I have about 6, 7 times before. I know one of these times it will stick.

And it might not even be the decisions at hand. That we actually are destined to turn it around.
1. Core players young and drafted/udfa.
2. 10 draft picks 3 in top 35. then multiple picks the next two rounds.
3. Highest Cap Room in the NFL or top 2.

Young but experience FO in Pres. n GM - both here so there is not much of a transition.
Head Coach young and seems to be his timing. Has galvanized his team where ever he has been.

Yep Shea was fired...like in the realm of things - so what?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Young but experience FO in Pres. n GM - both here so there is not much of a transition.
Head Coach young and seems to be his timing. Has galvanized his team where ever he has been.

Yep Shea was fired...like in the realm of things - so what?

eo...like it or not, the new guys running the show will be judged on every move they make, right down to a guy who held the position of Director of Engagement.

Sounds like Shea was liked by the players but the fact is, we don't know much about what he did.

This new group needs to understand, we the fans care about every move, especially if the move is to replace someone who did do a good job of helping the players..earned their trust..and was an asset the players felt comfortable dealing with.

The way Shea was fired, it looks as though management attempted to slide the move out of the view of the fans and media...firing the guy on a Friday night and not face to face. That's the chickencrap way of firing someone and who ever is responsible will be looked at as someone less than "manly".

But how many times have Browns fans seen such "chickencrap" moves by Browns management? It smells...smells of "cronyism"...fire someone who was doing a good job just so a coach or someone in management can give a buddy the job.

I was hoping the new guys running the show would be different than the type of management that was just fired. I will hold my final judgement to see if the individual being brought in appears to be better qualified and better suited to do the job. I'm all for improving the organization at every level....from owner on down.

So I will withhold judgement to see if the new guy or gal filling Shea's position is someone qualified and an improvement...or will Shea's replacement simply be a buddy or relative of a member of management or the coaching staff?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Best wishes to you Aaron.

I always liked you as a player, but didn't know anything about you in your post-football role. I hope it all works out well and for the best in the long run.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
.fire someone who was doing a good job just so a coach or someone in management can give a buddy the job.

Should would be nice if there was just a nano shred of proof to that claim/comment.

I lost the book to the Sandy Storm floods - But Ron Wolf's book explains certain changes that need to be made...and he devoted a good portion of a chapter on these kind of things. And it was about jobs that were not indicative of Regime changes. But something happens when there are Regimes coming n going how that effects peoples jobs within the organization.

Maybe just maybe and as stated before I have no shred of proof. Maybe there was a lack of communication between Shea and the new guys that predicated this change.

As for the players liking him. Everything that position is for is to help the players...they will like/love/respect anyone that holds the position over the year and is HELPED. Just like people naturally like their Nurses who take care of them with kindness. or a Waitress...or a Shea.

Give a buddy??? A job...cynicism at its highest I guess! Communication is needed for all positions in an organization. This I know.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I got you Daman, I liked Shea also. My point, is everything has to be put in a negative light by those looking to criticize the franchise. Too many times, when former Browns players are concerned, the loyalty of some fans is a little over the top.

It is good to like active and former players, but sometimes that admiration becomes a little much, especially when it comes to players who have past their peak. Teams get rid of people all the time, it is the nature of the business. There isn't always some underhanded deed going on. Just because we like a player or a FO person, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best guy for the position.

New staffs have people from previous jobs that they feel comfortable with. I think that is all that is happening here.

Just like losing DQ, many want to strike out at the team for him leaving, when it has clearly been reported that he wanted out, and got his wish. I think the FO was more than fair with him, as to give him plenty of time to explore his options.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You will almost always find negative nancys and it doesn't actually matter the action taken by the team

Example: Move up to the first pick to take Bridgewater, give up our 1st and second 1st and a second and third round pick to move up.

You will have some hailing that as the best move the franchise has ever made since 99 and you will have those that think it's idiotic to give up that much and they will site Russell Wilson, a 3rd round pick who just won a Super Bowl.

It's a no win situation.

Even if Bridgwater leads us to a superbowl and wins, I guarantee you someone will say he missed two passes and should have been pulled

LIke I said, No Win

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
eo..why quote just part of my comment? ...

"This new group needs to understand, we the fans care about every move, especially if the move is to replace someone who did do a good job of helping the players..earned their trust..and was an asset the players felt comfortable dealing with."

...and here is what you quoted...".fire someone who was doing a good job just so a coach or someone in management can give a buddy the job. "

Not quite the same, is it?

EO...then you go on your fictional attack leading with this...-"Should would be nice if there was just a nano shred of proof to that claim/comment."

Nothing like misquoting what I said or taking my quote out of context...right?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Lets put it this way Mac...forget about the quotes just tell me just what did you mean?

Do you believe that partial quote I made to be true? That's all I ask. If you do not believe that and was stating it as something others believe I have no problems giving you a my bad. If you meant it - then you are just playing games with me?

Sometimes it is that simple.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

As far as this being a "chickencrap" move, GMAFB, you act like guys in Shea's posiiton are hanging out with the owner and coaching staff, there is probably very little contact with the FO at this time of year with guys on this level.

er...what did I say was "chickencrap"?

Go back and read what I was referring to when I used the word "chickencrap".

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Lets put it this way Mac...forget about the quotes just tell me just what did you mean?

Do you believe that partial quote I made to be true? That's all I ask. If you do not believe that and was stating it as something others believe I have no problems giving you a my bad. If you meant it - then you are just playing games with me?

Sometimes it is that simple.

eo...NO, I will not forget about the quotes...

You may think it's ok to misquote someone words or quote out of context...I DON'T think it's ok.

The word I wrote, that you conveniently left out...IF...has meaning. It adds a condition..or the statement becomes conditional.

You changed the entire context of what I said when you quoted me.

NO, your partial quote is not true.

Read my entire comment again...it's not hard to understand...

"This new group needs to understand, we the fans care about every move, especially if the move is to replace someone who did do a good job of helping the players..earned their trust..and was an asset the players felt comfortable dealing with."

Last edited by mac; 03/10/14 07:13 AM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Mac you are unbelievable.

Of course you left out the summary which is what I focused on. Again I ask you do you believe that you were correct in your Assumption regarding the firing. That it was to put a buddy in that place?

You think somehow in your imaginary world that by adding that part which you really have no idea of what was going on. That it "Justifies" the final comments that you came up with. Sorry it does not. So there was NOTHING taken out of context. There was NO MISQUOTE....those were your words and it was your synopsis of your opinion.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Be prepared to have this insignificant "quote thing" ridden to death and then beaten long after it dies.

mac is not one to give up on a perceived misrepresentation.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The way Shea was fired, it looks as though management attempted to slide the move out of the view of the fans and media...firing the guy on a Friday night and not face to face.

I'm sure Haslam and upper management had many meetings trying to assess the PR ramifications of how and when they fired the player engagement director... a position most of us didn't know existed.

yebat' Putin
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

The way Shea was fired, it looks as though management attempted to slide the move out of the view of the fans and media...firing the guy on a Friday night and not face to face.

I'm sure Haslam and upper management had many meetings trying to assess the PR ramifications of how and when they fired the player engagement director... a position most of us didn't know existed.

I know, some are acting like we cut an pro bowl tight end that is maybe a little on the old side.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Curious move to let Shea go

The Cleveland Browns made a bit of a head-scratching behind-the-scenes move Friday.

The team decided to part ways with Aaron Shea, the team’s Player Engagement Director. Shea was a Browns draft pick in 1999 and a productive player. He spent six years in the organization, the last three as Player Engagement Director (a job some teams call player development). His departure appears to be the fallout from the change in GM and coach.

A coach and GM often want their own guy. That’s fair, and Shea probably understands that. But when a team lets go of an employee who handled his job as adeptly and well as Shea it creates a need that didn’t exist.

The team is not commenting extensively on the decision.

“The Browns would like to thank Aaron for his years of service to the team,” a team spokesman said. “The organization is going to be moving in another direction with the player-engagement role.”

The Browns do lose something with this move. They lose continuity, an established way of doing things, and a way that worked. Shea did that good a job. As the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin issue developed in Miami, I started to think about why it happens with some teams and not others. So I started to ask trustworthy folks, with and not with the team, about the Browns. Folks who would know.

They all said the most overlooked person in the Miami situation was the player-engagement person. That person is in the locker room as much as anyone, they said, and he is the one who should notice what’s taking place and make sure the coach addresses it.

SI.Com’s Greg Bedard confirmed this in a recent story, when he wrote that many in the league wondered about the player development guy in Miami. As one player said: “That’s the guy we all go to when we have any problems. If they can’t help us [themselves], we know they’re going to get us the help we need with no repercussions.”

I asked a few of the Browns players about Shea. Starters, backups, rookies, veterans ... all said he did a tremendous job and, combined with the character of the team’s leadership, kept a lid on issues. Guys from Ahtyba Rubin to Joe Thomas to T.J. Ward all spoke glowingly of him.

Player development has morphed into a multi-task job. It entails things as varied as making sure players find housing to players being on time for meetings. He also monitors the locker room culture. With the Browns, rookies had to earn their way, but there wasn’t the usual hijinks of shaved heads and other over-the-top nonsense.

It was not a coincidence.

If the Browns wanted to make this move, there was nothing stopping them. They could. But as we often teach our kids, just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

A team takes a hit when it gets rid of good people who do good jobs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/119733/curious-move-to-let-shea-go

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmmm.........

Legend
Legend
Curious.

I wonder what the other side of the story is.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
Me too.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns do lose something with this move. They lose continuity, an established way of doing things, and a way that worked.

that might be the reason right there.

If they think that the "established way of doing things" isn't the way they want to do things, then yeah, I can see them wanting to go in another direction.

Given the success or lack of success of the organization as a whole, maybe any and every thing is being looked at and retooled.

When you think of how badly we've done over the last billion years (not really) maybe, just maybe to change the culture, you clean house.

Unfortunately, whenever that happens, even in the business world, there are those that don't deserve to be cut loose that get the axe.

It's a shame, but it's the way it works.. I'm sure that anyone that has worked in a large organization will tell you that is just what happens at times. Things don't go right and sometimes, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. Easy to call it dumb and sometimes, that's exactly what it is. Other times, it's exactly what's needed and you don't realize it until way down the road.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
The Browns are not going to let anybody know why Aaron is gone. Aaron has to much class and respect for the organization to complain. I don't think we ever will get the true answer as to why we let him go. I said it was a big mistake to let him go and I ment that 110 percent guys. Maybe a lot people had no clue what he did for the Browns, but the players, and people in the front office knew. I am done with this thread and going to let sleeping dogs lie.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I can read between the lines.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Well, it's obvious that Haslam wants a whole new dynamic and attitude inside Berea, so I suspect that there will be more changes to come. Most of the changes at this level probably aren't make or break though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Has Pat McManamon always been this negative or is this a new development?

Legend
Legend
He was always that negative, even when he worked for the Browns

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j\c

I thought one of his jobs were to keep players out of trouble? I thought that's why he was fired?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Legend
Legend
B
They let him go for a reason. We just won't know.

I am pretty confident we didn't let him go because he was doing a great job or because Jimmy or Ray woke up one morning and decided to make a change.

If it wasn't something like being a bit loose lipped with the media, it probably is about working relationship with the head coach. I'd say the head coach decides who fills that role. While Shea was the eyes and ears for the players, he is also the eyes and ears for the coaches. Maybe the two didn't hit it off so to speak, or Pettine viewed the position differently than Shea did?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, it's obvious that Haslam wants a whole new dynamic and attitude inside Berea, so I suspect that there will be more changes to come. Most of the changes at this level probably aren't make or break though.

Well, sometimes things start at the bottom and rise up. This could be that kinda thing. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that we'll never hear the facts from the Browns.. Might someday hear it from Shea. We'll see I guess.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
j/c

I can't believe this thread is still going. This is a serious case of over-thinking what we don't know.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Couldn't agree more.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
GM I'm sure he was well respected in the Offices and by the players of this organization.

In the realm of things that have gone on the last 4 months - I doubt this mistake (if it indeed is one) will change a thing. I also doubt this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Someone will be hired - probably in house. I'm sure they will do a good job - it doesn't seem to be a difficult job just one that needs to be done and kept up with.

Also anyone think that the Bess situation had some ramifications in this? All I've read is the good well the good did not seem to be difficult. Actually seems like a great job to have. But maybe the failure of Bess, the failure of Gordon failing a test, the failure of Haden testing positive for A.D.D. drugs the new party drug at the time.

Having a Koom-by-yah locker room compared with the Dolphins. What I am saying is possibly it wasn't all roses...only cause until a couple of days ago I didn't even remember he worked for us nor what his job description was.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Fire Aaron Shea

Link Copied to Clipboard