Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yeah Walters had Dansby as the 2nd rated ILb in fa and DQ the 7th - our signing at 24 mil was terrible but Indy's for 22 mil was great, go figure that one,

Walters loses credibility on this one

one can actually finish their contract the other will probably be too old. Also, we are paying 10 mill this year to a guy that can retire next year really rich.

both are basically one year deals with the option for more

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
or a guy we can cut loose next year and not hit our cap much.

I still take the 2nd rated player over the 7th rated, cap hit up front where we have the room

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Seems like a pretty good signing to me. I am not a contract guy, but that contract seems to make sense. Dansby played very well last year. He can defend both the run and the pass.

I read a few articles and Arizona really wanted to keep him. That is a real positive.

I have doubted Farmer, but thus far, I am impressed by his FA moves.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Both Jackson & Dansby are ball hawks. The biggest difference is Dansby is better in pass coverage & also better at rushing the QB. You don't have to look any further than their stats to see that this is an upgrade.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
jc

I'm liking both moves. I am one who thinks DQ wanted out, and we were never going to keep him. I thought we'd keep Ward, but am fine with Whitner, and think he's an upgrade. Then Dansby is an huge upgrade over pretty much nothing if you also think DQ was gone anyway, or if not he's better than DQ. (and I like DQ)
Dansby has been super for years now. I didn't understand why Miami didn't sign him, and now Arizone thinks he's too old as well. I thought they'd sign him for sure, and if not some team on the cups would snap him up. I hadn't even really thought about Karlos even after we let DQ go. I love this signing for what is/was available out there for ILB. Sometimes players peak later. I'm hoping he is one of those players who stay good for years.
Regardless it fills a need, and helps our team. Good moves.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Dansby is a significantly better player than DQ. Better at coverage, better at stopping the run. He's older, but I think Dansby has the ability to play well into his 30's.

Browns should take a run at Arthur Moats to play next to Dansby and we have a significantly improved ILB core.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
I agree with that, big time.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Moats would be sweet.

Fantasy land......Moats, Trade for Revis, having gotten Dansby, and Whitner, with studs on Dline, and Haden...........man I'm drooling. lol

Legend
Legend
I love the attitude that Dansby and Whitner have shown in attacking the challenge of helping turn the Browns around. Dansby was actually part of that kind of thing last year in Arizona, so he knows how it's done.

Karlos Dansby on joining the Cleveland Browns: "We're called to do something great'' | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/karlos_dansby_on_joining_the_c.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Former Cardinals inside linebacker Karlos Dansby, who agreed to a four-year deal with the Browns Tuesday as a free agent, has high hopes for the Browns.

"Can you tell how excited I am?'' Dansby told cleveland.com. "It's a beautiful day. I'm more than ready and able to take on this challenge of making the Browns a winner.''

He's also excited that former 49ers safety Donte Whitner -- who also agreed to terms Tuesday -- will be joining him in helping to get the Browns to a playoff level. The Browns also reportedly engaged in trade talks with the Bucs for shutdown cornerback Darrelle Revins.

"We're called to do something great -- to do the impossible,'' said Dansby, who's deal is worth $24 million, including $10 million the first year and $14 million guaranteed.

Dansby, 32, replaces linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, 30, who signed last week with the Colts. Dansby is two years older than Jackson, but is coming off the best season of his career, by far. If he plays anywhere close to last year, he'll provide new coach Mike Pettine with a formidable playmaker up the middle.

In 2013, Dansby led the Cardinals with 122 tackles, 6.5 sacks, four interceptions -- including two returned for touchdowns -- 19 passes defensed and 12 tackles for a loss. He broke up more passes than cornerbacks Jerraud Powers (18) and Patrick Peterson (13). He also had 50 more tackles than anyone else on the team.

A second-team All-Pro last year, Dansby set his sights on being named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. It didn't happen, but he had a monster year nonetheless.

"Nobody's outplayed me," he told reporters in Arizona last December. "I got stats in every category. Leading the league in batted down passes, more than cornerbacks. Interceptions, two for touchdowns. I'm up in there, man. Solo tackles, you name it. Sacks, six-and-a-half. The numbers just jump off the charts, and I'm having fun. It goes all to the guys around me, because they're playing at a high level. It makes me raise my play to a different level."

Dansby, an 11th-year pro, spent his first six years in Arizona after being a second-round pick in 2004 out of Auburn, and helped the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008. In 2010, he left to sign a 5-year, $43 million contract with the Dolphins, including $22 million guaranteed. At the time, it was the highest contract ever for an inside linebacker. But the Dolphins cut him after the 2012 season -- and he signed a one-year deal with the Cardinals worth $2.25 million.

He parlayed that homecoming into a blockbuster deal with the Browns -- $14 million more guaranteed for a total of $36 million guaranteed since 2010 -- by playing out of his mind last season.

"It's unbelievable. It's like PlayStation," Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles told the Associated Press in December. "He's making plays all over the place. He's scoring. He's leading everybody, understands where the plays are going. He's having fun and it's rubbed off on the rest of the defense."

Dansby (6-4, 250) used his release by the Dolphins as motivation to tear up the NFL.

"The whole scenario, the way it went down in Miami, the opportunity here in Arizona — a perfect storm, a perfect stage, in one of the best divisions in the NFL, to show what I got, to show how I measure up with everybody else,'' he told reporters.

He also told The Jim Rome Show last season that he was irked by the Dolphins' move, which cost him his $6.05 million salary in 2013.

"For someone to take money off the table, it was disrespectful," he said. "There was still money in Miami and they took it off my kid's table, so that's very disrespectful to me. …A lot of people questioned a lot of things. I played with a torn bicep last year, no surgery, no nothing, I had 134 tackles, had fun doing it showing people I can play the game with one arm.''

But even though Dansby played the best ball of his career last season, he's still aiming for that Defensive Player of the Year Award.

"I've got some things up my sleeve to solidify myself as the best linebacker in the league, period," Dansby told the Associated Press in December. "I let it slip through my fingers last season. I won't let it happen again."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
hiro #860982 03/12/14 12:38 AM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Before last year Dansby was one of the players I truly wanted the Browns to sign, along with Grimes and Campbell (d'oh). We didn't. This year we do sign him, which makes me personally believe we now have the best ILB since Mike Johnson was in his prime. Having said that, we paid a Redskins-esque price for a 32-year old linebacker.

I've spent much of the last several years watching Dansby. For those who fear him as a signing, take it from me:

We just got MUCH more physical in the middle.

His passes defensed stats from last year are going to represent the high-water mark in his career, but he won't be any worse than Jackson. He's actually an upgrade in that regard. And for those who put stock into the term "intangibles" you'll be happy to know that Dansby was the one guy who could make up for D'qwell Jackson's loss of leadership.

I'm not at all excited about that contract, but if he plays at his current level for two more seasons, it'll have been worth it and then some.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
From what I have seen, he is actually capable of defeating blocks ..... which is a huge upgrade in the middle, no matter who on our roster he is compared to. He also seems to have more speed than DQ. He appears to be stronger than DQ. I think that we upgraded significantly.

Last year Dansby has 12 tackles for loss, and 4.5 sacks. He makes plays in the backfield. Dansby had 19 passes defensed, forced 1 fumble, and had 4 INT.

Last year DQ had 1 tackle for loss, and 2 sacks. DQ had 7 passes defensed, forced 1 fumble, and had 1 INT.

I know .... stats ..... but these stats are plays of consequence ..... turnovers and plays for loss. DQ had more tackles than Dansby did, but Dansby is the better player.

The only thing DQ did better than Dansby last year was total number of tackles. However, in terms of difference making plays, Dansby buried DQ.

I think that he's a great signing, even at his age. We'll probably keep him for 2 years, and then move on to his replacement.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Now we just need a player like Daryl Washington to play next to Dansby and we are set.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E

And then there were 5

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
And speaking of Haden, I'd sure like to get him extended another 4-5 years.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

And speaking of Haden, I'd sure like to get him extended another 4-5 years.

+1

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hopefully after FA n draft that will be a top priority of ours.

It was nice to see Haden on the welcoming committee for our new top FA signings.
He, Sheard and Gordon - lets Lock in Haden...probably work on Sheard afterwards.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Haden is seriously an ambassador for the Browns. Re-sign him NOW

https://twitter.com/joehaden23/status/443717327415042048/photo/1

BpG #860991 03/12/14 10:42 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Contract details on Dansby:

LB Karlos Dansby signed a four year, $24 million contract with the Cleveland Browns on March 11, 2014. Dansby received $12 million fully guaranteed including a $6 million signing bonus. Base salaries of the contract are $4,000,000(2014), $4,000,000(2015), $5,000,000(2016), and $5,000,000(2017).

So, it's basically a 2year 11mil deal. A roster decision is due after the 2015 season at age 34. We can save 3.5mil by cutting him if he isn't worth 6.5mil for the season.
Good deal !

Dansby and Whitner together ONLY count 9.75mil vs the cap in 2014, so we still have 33-40mil (depending on which list you look at) of cap to burn...plus another 3mil when we cut Campbell.

Having realized that, I wish we would have gone after Byrd too. At this point Clemons is only player left that would be an upgrade on Gipson in FA

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
So this deal is really not front-loaded in any way.

The cap hits will be something like: 5.5M, 5.5M, 6.5M, 6.5M

~Lyuokdea
BpG #860993 03/12/14 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

+1

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Dansby and Whitner together ONLY count 9.75mil vs the cap in 2014,

isnt that about what we were on the hook for , for DQ, unless he re-negotiated?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
N
Legend
Legend
N
speaking of Byrd, NO now has Vaccarro, Byrd, and K.Lewis in their secondary. pretty nice group there.

and I agree, I want us to go after Clemons for FS.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Cap hit this year is almost completely meaningless. We have so much cap money that it is almost impossible for us to get near the cap.

And if we did get near the cap, we'd have to cut half of the new players we signed anyway, to get under the cap next year or the year after that.

~Lyuokdea
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

PFF H2H comp of DQ-Dansby

That might have been the most difficult thing I've read all day... I feel like I'm back in the military, always talking in acronyms, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG #860999 03/12/14 12:30 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Joe Haden seems like he is always the coolest guy in the room.

D
Legend
Legend
D
By the sounds of it in his presser, it sounds like Dansby said he didn't even interview with anyone else... if so, kudos to Ray and Pettine/O'Niel for making the position and etc elaborate enough to secure a likely sought after FA on the first sh-bang!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NRTU

I have for the most part remained silent well color me silent NO MORE….

You must be kidding me Haslam? You are aren’t you?

1st you jump in bed with a snake then you compound the entire situation by firing easily the BEST staff we have had here sense our rebirth then by the time you wake the hell up it’s too late the ship is going down or has sailed you choose…..

Then in a moment of absolute brilliance you let DQ walk and replace him with Dansby, then you re-sign or tender Robertson someone had to go but you got the wrong guy. Instead of shoring up the defense you weaken it and overpay to boot. Why the hell didn’t you keep DQ and add Dansby now you’re talking…. But as is it’s a wash we didn’t get better nor did we get worse we remained the same the only difference is we are now paying more of our cap towards a player while he is good won’t even limp to the last year of the deal… What the hell are you thinking????????

Then the Ward fiasco what can you say reports are Ward signed for 5.5 and we sign a Whitner for 7???? Tell me it isn’t sooooooooooooooooo.

Just the simple FACTS.

We had and I emphasize HAD the beginnings of something special sure it hit a major road block mid-season and I agree with Haslam accountability is critical and correctable. Chud needed a trip to the wood shed no doubt but fired after one season with that staff and the foundation in place. The truth is Ward, nor Mack want anything AT ALL to do with Cleveland they couldn’t wait to get the hell out of town. If they hadn’t tendered Mack he would be long gone by now, and who could blame him?

Right now we should be overjoyed by our signings instead we all KNOW we are right where we started minus about 50mill in contracts.

I would say more but the more I say the madder I get.................................................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Joe Haden seems like he is always the coolest guy in the room.

One, Joe Haden needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Two, whenever Haden's not on the field, all the other players should be asking "Where's Haden"?

Three--

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
BpG #861003 03/12/14 09:27 PM
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Fully agree! Pay the man

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

NRTU

I have for the most part remained silent well color me silent NO MORE….

You must be kidding me Haslam? You are aren’t you?

1st you jump in bed with a snake then you compound the entire situation by firing easily the BEST staff we have had here sense our rebirth then by the time you wake the hell up it’s too late the ship is going down or has sailed you choose…..

I see why your frustrated and have shared some of it to some extent, but at the end of the day that "BEST" staff went 4-12 and showed no real improvement from the past year. If players were upset by the firing then they have to look no farther than themselves. Make the plays and we go 8-8 and Chud is still here.

Then in a moment of absolute brilliance you let DQ walk and replace him with Dansby, then you re-sign or tender Robertson someone had to go but you got the wrong guy. Instead of shoring up the defense you weaken it and overpay to boot. Why the hell didn’t you keep DQ and add Dansby now you’re talking…. But as is it’s a wash we didn’t get better nor did we get worse we remained the same the only difference is we are now paying more of our cap towards a player while he is good won’t even limp to the last year of the deal… What the hell are you thinking????????

So we shouldn't have signed Dansby unless we kept DQ? We should've invested almost 20 mil for 1 yr at ILB? If DQ was here Dansby wouldn't be 36 at the end of his contract? A lot of double speak. Are you really that upset we tendered Robertson to a contract less than 2 mil? Do we get penalized for having depth or special teams players on our roster? I must have missed that a RFA that is tendered must start the following season. Is this the last day to set the roster? As for limping into the last year of his contract do you think Ware, Byrd or Talib see the end of their deals? Probably not. Its the nature of the beast. A lot of guys do not survive to live out the life of their 2nd contracts

Then the Ward fiasco what can you say reports are Ward signed for 5.5 and we sign a Whitner for 7???? Tell me it isn’t sooooooooooooooooo.

Are you Wards agent? Were you sitting in on the negotiations? How do you know we didn't offer Ward the 7 mil per contract?

Just the simple FACTS.

We had and I emphasize HAD the beginnings of something special sure it hit a major road block mid-season and I agree with Haslam accountability is critical and correctable. Chud needed a trip to the wood shed no doubt but fired after one season with that staff and the foundation in place. The truth is Ward, nor Mack want anything AT ALL to do with Cleveland they couldn’t wait to get the hell out of town. If they hadn’t tendered Mack he would be long gone by now, and who could blame him?

Wait I thought all we had to do was offer Ward 7 mil?

Right now we should be overjoyed by our signings instead we all KNOW we are right where we started minus about 50mill in contracts.

And if we resigned Ward and kept DQ we would still be right where we were minus 45mil. Assuming we signed Ward to the same deal as Whitner and kept DQ at his current contract.

I would say more but the more I say the madder I get.................................................

Look I get why your frustrated. We filled holes we created. But we filled them with players that are arguably better players and a better fit.

Legend
Legend
j/c..

I like the Dansby pick up and think he's an upgrade over DQ.. love his vocal nature..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Look I get why your frustrated. We filled holes we created. But we filled them with players that are arguably better players and a better fit.

Bull crap DQ had a very serviceable contract and Dansby and he together are an improvement.. We basically switched out players and gained ZERO...And that's the thing the idea is to get better not stay the same..

Not to mention when you introduce new players to any system or team it takes time for those players to blend in, Ward and DQ had that in the bag...

Bottom line I like both Dansby and Whitner adding either or both players and keeping Ward and DQ truly makes this a better team but these moves do nothing..............................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Im responding to reading Arizona didnt want him back, on NFL Network they were reporting that Arizona offered Dansby a 2 year deal. But with Dansby having airport accomodations on a private jet with Gordon, Sheard, and Haden, he knew there were greener pastors. I didnt know what to think of DQ being cut, especially with the lack of depth at ILB but he was due a $4 million bonus on top of his pay and now the Browns are getting a better player. I wanted both ILBs and spend a pick on ILB to groom in 2 years. I still think the Browns are in the running for another ILB and draft one. There is no reason to be mad at this pick up. Banner would have never made that call. He was a money saver. He left Farmer in great position to make the Browns good for years to come if he does good in this draft. I didnt like the timing of firing Lombardi but with NE having different needs it might not haunt the Browns.

The weakness in this defense was covering TEs and RBs and now they got one of the best. Whats to get mad about? I was pimping this dude thinking he was the missing link of this defense.

At least Haden aint mad losing his buddy Ward to Denver and still working for the team by helping bring in Whitner and Dansby on a private jet. That shows he is willing to help the team in any way and he should be rewarded for doing so. If Dansby doesnt work out, guess what, they cut him like they did DQ, who many liked because he was the best they had while being out of place in a weak 3-4 ILB core. Now they are better, above being a wash IMO. Its possible they added a Pro Bowler who is better then Londen Fletcher at this stage. Nothing to complain about if you ask me.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well then you should be happy that we didn't go backwards. We lost we gained...who is better than who - break even? Key thing is we lost and didn't go backwards. FA is a need filler, I see us doing that. Draft is the Team builder...we got 10 picks n UDFAs for that.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
DQ was in line to receive something like $10 million between salary and roster bonus. That's hardly a serviceable contract.

He also doesn't fir the 3-4 defense. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could argue against that. Dansby is a huge upgrade in the 3-4 over DQ.

Plus, Farmer and Pettine have said that they are not going to keep a player who does not fit, even if they can get him at a bargain. DQ wasn't a bargain, and he didn't fit, so there was nochance of him remaining.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

DQ was in line to receive something like $10 million between salary and roster bonus. That's hardly a serviceable contract.

He also doesn't fir the 3-4 defense. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could argue against that. Dansby is a huge upgrade in the 3-4 over DQ.

Plus, Farmer and Pettine have said that they are not going to keep a player who does not fit, even if they can get him at a bargain. DQ wasn't a bargain, and he didn't fit, so there was nochance of him remaining.

There you have it.
We let our emotions run too high

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

DQ was in line to receive something like $10 million between salary and roster bonus.

and the cap hit for Dansby + Whitner = $9.5mil for 2014

#gmstrong
Arps #861012 03/13/14 11:13 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

There you have it.
We let our emotions run too high

And that's to be expected. Fan is, after all, short for fanatic. We all have our own favorite players, and many people refuse to let go of their favoites no matter what happens with them on the field.

DQ was a fantastic ambassador for Cleveland and the Browns. However, he was a very average player on the field. He led the team in tackles most years .... yet so did other guys fans loved, like Andra Davis and Wali Rainer. They were also "good" players, but never difference makers. We need difference makers. DQ was never going to be a difference maker. He's not a good pass rusher. He doesn't make plays in the backfield. He's decent in pass cover, though not a top tier player. He is awful at shedding blocks. In the right defense, as a member of a 4-3 defense, he can be effective, but he's a below average 3-4 ILB.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign Danbsy

Link Copied to Clipboard