Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Jester #865606 04/05/14 10:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But now that TopDawg likes Carr doesn't that nullify the original postulate that any Qb he doesn't like does well?

Perhaps he's mentally trying to reverse the trend of QB's he's not liked?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #865607 04/05/14 11:34 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
1st. Who is Derick Carr. Didn't his older brother already play BAD in the NFL.
2nd. My intuition says Derek Carr is going to be a loser loser loser in the NFL, (at least for the Browns,) (Because this kind of guy can't help you in the AFC North)
3rd. I'd rather see the Browns try and find Ryan Leaf, Today! and see if he has anything, than see the Browns bring in Derek Carr!

4th. You Don't draft a franchise Quarterback! You draft a quarterback and they might become a franchise quarterback, if they can be developed.

NOBODY DRAFTS A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK! THEY DEVELOP THEM! THIS GUY CAN'T BE DEVELOPED.

5th. Carr went to Fresno State? Give me a ( ) Break! (allow me to explain. Players chose where they go to school. Fres. St. maybe ok for a DB, or a Rb, or a linebacker or something like that, but Quarterbacks ... there is only one per team. So this guy Carr, must have been, 4, 4 and a half years ago, going ...Hmm, where am I going to go to school to show off my top notch QB football player abilities for if I'm so freaking Great, Any top football school in the Country must want me right?

Then you consider, maybe this guy would go to a school in maybe 4 or 5 different states in the Country and pick the top school there. You know, you could argue, Florida has some competition for which college is best for an NFL qb to attend, you have, Miami, Florida St. even in the last 10 years, UCF, USF, and don't forget the Florida Gators.
I mean, just National perception of schools' football programs about 4 years ago. And you can always do this any year.

If the Browns are going to get a QB, get a guy who went to a top school. I mean the military doesn't get generals from "Bob's Big Boy Milatary academy" off Route 66 in Kansas somewhere.
And for Quarterbacks, this is the one position where this kind of thing is the most important.

Then think of it this way. Top 40, count them 40 Qb's that could be going to school in a given year. Ok, top 20. Ok which one do you want to draft, a top 5 guy NO? So top 20- or 40 guys are heading to, / selecting a school and based on national perceptions 4 years ago.
The top guys go to their favorite school best school in the nation, or maybe their favorite one for some reason or best in the state.
2nd level Qb's have to go to a good school that isn't best in the nation because they are 2nd level guys, like someone going to Penn St.
Then you have guys who go to little schools that show promise, guys who go to schools like Vest Virginia, or U Central Florida.
And you have guys who go to Big conference schools, so at least they play in a big conference but on a traditionally BAD football team. Like guys who go to Vanderbilt, or Arizona St. or Purdue.
Then you have the guys who go to Notre Dame, because (since 1988) they want to "feel" like the're in a top school but it's really something they have to settle for.
And Where is Fresno St, on this list.?
It's not even the 3rd best school, football school, going by perception from 4 years ago, in the state of California. USC, Cal, and Stanford. then UCLA, and maybe Fresno St.
With all of this I'm trying to say, that Fresno St. school selection should tell you in 5 seconds or less that this is not (or was not 4 years ago) a top 30 quarterback.
UNLESS! There's always the exception, and the way to "recognize" the exception is to see a guy relatively unknown who has exploded onto the scene, like Justin Bieber 8 years ago, into something really to see greatness in. That would be what you are looking for from someone playing Qb at Fresno St.

But a guy who would , I mean What's his name his brother was already in the NFL playing below average. Has really some explaining to do to tell me why he went to Fresno State.

6th. Derek Carr isn't going to get any better, I really think he is only going to get worse trying to make the jump to the next level. They should stay away from this guy like staying away from something stay awayable.

I already hate Derek Carr and he isn't even a Brown yet!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Kingcob #865608 04/05/14 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The plan has worked!

Farmer is the master of obfuscation.

Browns fans are totally confused and will have to wait until May 8 to find out his real motive.

NFL and ESPN ratings will be high that night in Cleveland.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

THROW LONG #865609 04/05/14 01:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I"m reasonably positive you weren't responding to me,,, BUT:

Quote:

Apparently you are now the spelling police.. Don't ever make a spelling error again because if you do, I'll be there to pick on you.

As for his brother,, Who the hell cares what his brother did in the NFL.. What's that got to do with anything anyway. Quite possibly the dumbest comment ever.

Quote:

2nd. My intuition says Derek Carr is going to be a loser loser loser in the NFL, (at least for the Browns,) (Because this kind of guy can't help you in the AFC North)

That's your opinion, not everyone shares that opinion. You may end up being right.. But for a second, think about what one of the posters on this thread has brought to light about the different offenses he's played in college, think about what kinda players he was surrounded by, think of what his exact strengths and weaknesses are. If you do all that and come up with the same opinion,, fine.

But don't yammer on based on posters that like a different QB that may or may not be attainable

Quote:

3rd. I'd rather see the Browns try and find Ryan Leaf, Today! and see if he has anything, than see the Browns bring in Derek Carr!

OK,, That beats your other dumb comment to hell and back..

Quote:

4th. You Don't draft a franchise Quarterback! You draft a quarterback and they might become a franchise quarterback, if they can be developed.

If you draft a QB high, as in with our 4th pick or trade up to get your guy, you damn skippy you are drafting him to be the franchise QB.. If he's anything less, you failed.

If you take a guy later on, like late 2nd round or later, then you are expecting to develop them and HOPE you get a Franchise QB or someone that can serve as a long term back up.

Quote:

5th. Carr went to Fresno State? Give me a ( ) Break! (allow me to explain. Players chose where they go to school. Fres. St. maybe ok for a DB, or a Rb, or a linebacker or something like that, but Quarterbacks ... there is only one per team. So this guy Carr, must have been, 4, 4 and a half years ago, going ...Hmm, where am I going to go to school to show off my top notch QB football player abilities for if I'm so freaking Great, Any top football school in the Country must want me right?

Big Ben Rothlisberger went to Miami of Ohio,, so freaking what. Lots of really crazy assumptions there...

Did you take your medications today? Just wondering cause something a miss because you brought up Justin Beiber in a football thread..

Quote:

6th. Derek Carr isn't going to get any better, I really think he is only going to get worse trying to make the jump to the next level. They should stay away from this guy like staying away from something stay awayable.

WHAT? OK,, That last part is really

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
WooferDawg #865610 04/05/14 01:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The plan has worked!

Browns fans are totally confused and will have to wait until May 8 to find out his real motive.

I agree about Farmer and I think you are right about the Ratings in Cleveland...LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
bbrowns32 #865611 04/05/14 03:41 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

Manziel, Garrapolo currently off most radars.

I'm not on board (JMHO) with that statement. Jimmy G may sneak into the bottom of the 1st round, and Manziel may go #3 as Jacksonville needs a QB and definitely a main attraction to put people back into the stands...

I'm strictly referring to the ebb and flow of the dawgtalkers board opinion on quarterbacks for our selection. I have no idea how the draft will shake out or how the qbs will actually play once drafted

WooferDawg #865612 04/05/14 03:48 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The plan has worked!

charge...I agree, Farmer nor Pettine or Haslam have tipped their hand as to who the Browns might be targeting. I don't know "who" the Browns are targeting, but I believe they will take the best player available at a position of need with the #4 pick..maybe Watkins or Evans.

My opinion of the QBs...the only one that deserves to be picked as high as #4 is Bortles and I think he will be gone before we pick. If he is available, I think Farmer takes him over a WR. If Clowney falls to us, I don't see how we pass someone of his talent.

With the 26 pick, most likely the best QB available would be my best guess. But when we start talking about 2nd tier QBs, there are many who could fall into that category, who might fall well beyond our #26 pick...if Manziel or Bridgewater are available they could be the Browns pick at 26.

If Farmer passes on a QB at 26, it would not surprise me if the Browns go defense (CB,LB) with the pick and wait until the 3rd pick in the 2nd round to take a QB..and I have no idea who it could be.

There are so many ways this draft could go, depending on which teams trade up or down...or if the Browns have different priorities than my guesses...and I'm sure they do.

The truth is, none of us know what the Browns are going to do and those who think they know are just fooling themselves.

I'm not about to sit here and claim or act as if I know better than Farmer or Pettine. I know there will be plenty of grumbling and complaining no matter who the Browns draft.

I'm confident that Farmer and Pettine can build the Browns into a winner and I defer to their judgement...they are the "professionals"...and I'm just a Browns fan, like everyone else on this board.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
THROW LONG #865613 04/05/14 06:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks Throw, this post is probably enough to make Vers go out and buy a Carr jersey, hell I was having doubts about Carr at 4 but after reading your post, hell i would probably trade up for the guy.

mac #865614 04/05/14 09:50 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I'm not about to sit here and claim or act as if I know better than Farmer or Pettine. I know there will be plenty of grumbling and complaining no matter who the Browns draft.

I'm confident that Farmer and Pettine can build the Browns into a winner and I defer to their judgement...they are the "professionals"...and I'm just a Browns fan, like everyone else on this board.

This is the same poster who bad-mouthed every move the previous regime made. mac, you have always been a phony. You are still a phony. I have zero respect for you.

Kingcob #865615 04/05/14 11:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Cob, Manziel is still my first choice. My original position was one of Carr, Manziel or Bridgewater with our first pick but that we might have to trade up to 2 to get one. Then the NFL bailed PIT, NO and DAL out with an extra $12 million in cap space so the rams no longer had to dump Bradford. Now I'm content to sit at 4 and whichever one is available when we pick.

Damanshot #865616 04/06/14 09:30 AM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Quote:

I"m reasonably positive you weren't responding to me,,, BUT:

Quote:

As for his brother,, Who the hell cares what his brother did in the NFL.. What's that got to do with anything anyway. Quite possibly the dumbest comment ever.

Spot on Daman. I don't know if Carr will be good or not but the logic he won't perform because his brother underachieved is crazy.

I guess Indy should not have selected Manning because his brother got deathly ill in college and had to quit football. You can't take a chance Peyton will get it. & Luck's dad was way below average.

Since heredity seems to matter so much I think Aaron Rodgers brother was cut by Jacksonville last year I think. I am guessing he available. WE can sign him for a song and not even have to daft a QB.

Russell Wilson also has an older brother. Let's sign him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
By the same token, should we then say that Farmer's positive comment about his brother is also absurd?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This is the same poster who bad-mouthed every move the previous regime made. mac, you have always been a phony. You are still a phony. I have zero respect for you.

You mean like you are bad mouthing the Current regime for every move they make? Apparently you think you know better than those guys in the FO?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #865619 04/06/14 11:55 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not bad-mouthing every move they make. Some are good. Some are bad. The problem exists because small-minded, narrow-thinking individuals don't want to look at things objectively, thus they think that I have "bad-mouthed" every move the new FO has made.

See is you can comprehend this:

I think it is great they went to visit and Mack and want to keep. Is that bad-mouthing them?

I think it is fantastic that they signed Whitner and let Ward walk. Is that bad-mouthing them?

I think getting Dansby was a very good move. Is that bad-mouthing them?

It's called evaluating each move on its own merits. Not that you would understand that.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am not bad-mouthing every move they make. Some are good. Some are bad. The problem exists because small-minded, narrow-thinking individuals don't want to look at things objectively, thus they think that I have "bad-mouthed" every move the new FO has made.

See is you can comprehend this:

I think it is great they went to visit and Mack and want to keep. Is that bad-mouthing them?

I think it is fantastic that they signed Whitner and let Ward walk. Is that bad-mouthing them?

I think getting Dansby was a very good move. Is that bad-mouthing them?

It's called evaluating each move on its own merits. Not that you would understand that.

Good for you...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

By the same token, should we then say that Farmer's positive comment about his brother is also absurd?

Yes.

CalDawg #865622 04/07/14 08:30 AM
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

His footwork seems to be a LOCK as to his biggest negative. And that's fixable.

I disagree.

Over the last several months I've watched everything I could find on all the top QB's. To put it in very simple terms, Carr is a one-read QB who is just as likely to fire the ball in there regardless of what he sees because he doesn't process information quickly at all.

If we pass on the likes of Bridgewater and settle for Carr...I suppose that actually wouldn't surprise me one bit after more than a decade-and-a-half of idiotic decisions.

You are henceforth banned from QB discussions for your incessant and inaccurate assessments of Jason Campbell. Because Campbell went on to sign with the division rival Cincinatti Bengals, this ban is not permanent. You may rejoin QB discussions in the spring of 2015. Thank you. That is all.

Mary Kay Cabot said that Jason Campbell is elite. That is all.

THROW LONG #865623 04/07/14 09:05 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Not going to debate too much with you just a couple of things to add in the discussion cause you did bring up some points.

1. I get it about QB factories like Stanford and then a Fresno State. But it seems like a family thing. He I am sure Idolized his big brother who went to Fresno State as well - not a Nobody else wanted me thing. Fresno was where he probably wanted to be.

2. Personally I liked his brother...I know I'll get reemed for that. But I thought he got the crap beaten out of him even more than Couch and he never backed down. But like it has been said - it shouldn't have anything to do with his brother. btw nobody is going to suggest he goes overall #1 like his brother did. He had some skills.

3. Developing...#4, #26, #35...they all need to be developed. We came from the rookie big contract era where you had to start them and develop them on the fly. Now with the controlled contracts you don't have to if you have a Bridge QB in place. They ALL GET Developed. Some have better tools than others coming in.

Which brings us to this and out of your post this is the only thing I will come down on you:
THIS GUY CAN'T BE DEVELOPED

We can all have our opinions on his skill set and try to Predict how they will progress in the NFL. But nobody here can remotely make that statement unless he has a history or a 5 Wonderlick trying or have rep in that regard to be all talent and no football Intelligence.

Actually if our perception scouting is that he can be developed and we are confident in Hoyer so not to rush him. This would have to be my nod on the choice. That they assessed he is very coachable. I think someone like Manziel is destined to excel. I've heard all the its all hype he is too small. But as a layman evaluator. I'm looking at his first year and then his second. Vast improvement in areas that needed improvement, he worked on his pocket passing. Then after the season was over to the Private and school pro day. The improvement in his technique - his history has told me one thing...He is very coachable and the sky is the limit. Carr again I have no idea - I have no history, he seems to have ran exactly what he was told to do and how to do it. How will that transition to the NFL in Development??? I got no clue.

Every QB drafted is in hopes of becoming a Franchise QB...taken higher than others usually means the skill set to succeed is "CONSIDERED" better that is all.

JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #865624 04/07/14 09:17 AM
Legend
Legend
Everyone says t hat David Carr was a bust, but remember, he went to a team that had an issue with the Oline. He got clobbered with a ton of Sacks.

Charlie Casserly, the then GM of the Texans has admitted he made mistakes by not getting the Oline first or at the same time. He kinda feels as if he hung Carr out to dry.

I don't have any idea if it would have made any difference in the long run by you never know. Casserly seems to think it would have.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #865625 04/07/14 09:30 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have been trying to steer clear from saying this but, Carr's older brother had the same disease. The "Ducks from hits" syndrome. Carr was a lot like Couch, bad team or not and yes they took a lot of hits, but they get antsy, jumpy and gunshy about getting hit.

So, while I agree, having a family structure that supports football is a good thing. If we're going to bring up his "pedigree" we can't disregard that his brother "shellshocked" or not, didn't like taking hits (more than most).

BpG #865626 04/07/14 09:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have been trying to steer clear from saying this but, Carr's older brother had the same disease. The "Ducks from hits" syndrome.

Just sayin, you would to if you had his Oline....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #865627 04/16/14 07:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Report: “Many in football” believe Browns will take Derek Carr
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 16, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
2014 NFL Combine Getty Images

Perhaps as much as any other team, the Browns are expected to take a quarterback in the 2014 NFL Draft.

According to a published report, there’s sentiment in league circles that Cleveland has zeroed in on one particular passing prospect.

Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman reports the Browns “love” Fresno State’s Derek Carr and that “many in football” believe Cleveland will take him with the second of their two first-round picks (No. 26).

PFT’s most recent mock draft has Carr headed to Cleveland, but at No. 4, not No. 26.

Carr, like numerous other QB prospects, has worked out for Cleveland.

Were the Browns to take Carr with their second first-round pick, it would mark the third time in seven years in which they had used the latter of two No. 1 selections on a quarterback. They took Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden 22nd overall in 2007 and 2012, respectively.
web page

Mourgrym #865628 04/16/14 11:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Carr at 26? I can live with, as long as theirs no PLAN to start him right away... Let him earn it if he's better than Hoyer...

Carr at 4? Please no...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #865629 04/17/14 12:04 AM
Legend
Legend
I am fine with them taking Carr at 4 ..... if they feel that he is the best possible QB for this team in this draft.

It wouldn't be the move I would make, but given the importance of the position, if they feel that he's the right guy for this team, then take him and don't look back. I see no sense in hanging around 'til 26 and hoping that no one else makes a move to get ahead of us.

I am not saying that I would take Carr, and I am not saying that I wouldn't ...... just that if that is who they feel is our guy, then there is no sense screwing around. One thing I definitely agreed with banner about is that you take the players you like, because if they work out, no one asks why you took them that high. No one is asking why we used a a 2nd round pick on Gordon anymore. No one (well, except the committed haters) asks why Mangini took Mack in the 1st round. When players become Pro Bowl/All Pro, it doesn't matter where they were drafted, they were a good choice. It is even more so with a QB. If he is the right guy, don't mess around that someone else will agree with your appraisal.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Mourgrym #865630 04/17/14 12:08 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
What does "many in football" mean in this context?

CHSDawg #865631 04/17/14 01:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mary Kay and her cats.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #865632 04/17/14 06:24 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Mary Kay and her cats.

Too good not to laugh at....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I am fine with them taking Carr at 4 ..... if they feel that he is the best possible QB for this team in this draft.

It wouldn't be the move I would make, but given the importance of the position, if they feel that he's the right guy for this team, then take him and don't look back. I see no sense in hanging around 'til 26 and hoping that no one else makes a move to get ahead of us.

That's what I keep trying to tell myself. They're the football guys, they're the ones making the decisions and they're the ones who have to live with them.

Easy for me to sit here and say that Teddy is the best choice. At the end of the day, my opinion means nothing. If the decision makers feel Teddy is the best choice then that will be their plan A. If they feel Carr is the best choice, as much as I don't, then that will be their plan A. I can sit here and call them idiots, but in reality all I am really saying is that they and I disagreed on the point. Doesn't make them idiots, doesn't make me an idiot.

Same with free agency. I can sit here and wonder why they ignored this guy, or that guy. Fact is, maybe they didn't. Maybe they did their due diligence and figured that the guy really didn't fit the scheme, or would have cost too much, or some other thing that caused the team to not pursue them. Just because there was no report of a scheduled visit does not mean they never considered the guy or did some research.

That said, Carr makes me uneasy. I am worried that he gets skittish in pressure.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
ThatGuy #865634 04/17/14 07:49 AM
Legend
Legend
That was funny. MK has some judgment issues (her cats are OK, though).

Just dropped in to be a heretic. I like Watkins at 4. No matter who we have at QB, we have multiple targets and a better running game on paper. I see us taking a QB or two in this draft. But maybe in late first, maybe trading up when some dust clears after the first eight picks or so.

The heresy part is this draft a proven franchise QB, gotta get this right, the Man for years to come. How much is a "franchise QB" to achieve, empirically and realistically? I want to suggest that we need something well beyond adequate with flashes of big play ability that improves as he plays multiple seasons.
If our QB is an improved position and minimizes bonehead mistakes, we will compete better. And win more IMO. Is the Man going to need to carry the team, game in and game out, every week of the season for years? I think it only amplifies every mistake and magnifies each weakness. I see a fine QB, with sound judgment helping us mightily. My post, as we continue to flog this to death and revive it for more beatings, simply asks this: Realistically, how much QB do we need? None of them can be all things wonderful all the time. Some of the lower names on the board may be enough, probably not Brady-like, but if they succeed wildly beyond sensible expectations, outstanding! This is just getting to a point where it is blowing out of proportion in front of May, both ways. We need to filter out some of the hype and noise to avoid a BQuinn repeat, but we also need to avoid throwing up irrelevant arguments too. How did his brother do, or uncle or whatever relative has little bearing on a candidate. Some are relative, like Team Matthews maybe. This is not intended to be airtight, and others can pick at it. But some of this speculation is based on personal likes; we are trying to realstically address real need, and part of that has to be degree of need. JMHO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

That's what I keep trying to tell myself. They're the football guys, they're the ones making the decisions and they're the ones who have to live with them.

Easy for me to sit here and say that Teddy is the best choice. At the end of the day, my opinion means nothing. If the decision makers feel Teddy is the best choice then that will be their plan A. If they feel Carr is the best choice, as much as I don't, then that will be their plan A.

There is logic in those statements. However, just how did it work out when we trusted the FO when they drafted Weeden? How about BQ? Timid?

It amazes me how often NFL teams are wrong. They spend a ton of time and money evaluating these players and they so often make bone-headed moves. Seriously, I gave Weeden a 4th round grade. I didn't like that he was older. Didn't like that he played in a Spread offense while making only one read. Didn't like how he faltered when pressured up the middle. Sure didn't like that he lost his accuracy after being pressured. His big arm and potential made me move him UP to the 4th round. The geniuses that were H and H moved him up the 22nd overall pick. And we are supposed to unconditionally trust this FO, who doesn't have any previous experience in the draft?

I think Carr is a very similar QB to guys like Timid, BQ, and Weeden. They all look impressive. They look like QBs. Some of them can dazzle w/you w/their arms and in regards to how they converse.

However, all of them wilt under pressure. They lose their accuracy. They either hold it too long and take needless sacks or check it down w/out letting the play develop because they play scared. I am adamant that those flaws kill a football team. Other players get blamed for their shortcomings. Coaches are blamed. It alienates the locker room and you just wasted more time.

I pray that we don't make the same stupid mistake again. I just have the sinking feeling that our new FO will indeed do just that.

N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

decide for yourselves. outside of USC, this was the best defense he faced last year:

http://www.youtube.com/v/fJzKFuKupbM

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

I pray that we don't make the same stupid mistake again. I just have the sinking feeling that our new FO will indeed do just that.

Don't fret..

All of this chatter from the national pundits is a by product of the NFL's popularity. The typical NFL fan has become a fan of the draft, not just us draftniks. Because of this, the media must spend more time keeping the casual fan involved and interested than ever before. It isn't as simple as spending some extra time talking about the prospects to keep those of us salivating whether they are there or not. The hits on these websites before would have been in the 1000s no matter what the discussion was about. NOW they are getting hits in the millions over the course of 4 months at the end of the previous season, which means more advertising dollars than they ever dreamed they could muster based on the NFL draft alone.

This is a blessing and a curse...Because of this, we are privy to more information than we ever were 10,15, 20 years ago..BUT, we are also subject to keeping the casual fan interested as much as we are. Thus, the casual fan needs more than just information to digest, they need news feeds. News feeds are what drives every single mock draft and Big Board from the websites, and media, both radio and television.

The media needs to report that Teddy Bridgewater is the best QB in college football while he is in college football, because college football fans know it to be true. They would discredit the media as frauds if they reported otherwise.

However, once that player declares for the draft, the real work begins, because many college fans are rabid college fans and don't follow the Pros and vice versa...

So the casual draft fan looks to these outlets as their source for not only education, but for their entertainment...How entertaining is it to read the same exact information daily for 4 months straight? Not very, in fact the web hits would slow to a crawl in the first 2 weeks and the advertising dollars would go even faster.

Doesn't change the facts of tape and what was reported while Bridgewater was in college. Fortunately for us, I don't believe for a second ANY of this information is real and Farmer will be ready for this draft.

My biggest concern at this point (same as it was 3 months ago) is whether or not, the Browns can find a way to get to #2 to get one of the two best players in this draft Bridgewater or Manziel. Because come May 8th in 11 hours, those are the two players that will enter the stage to shake Goodel's hand first...Hopefully one of them will be wearing a Browns jersey with the #1 on it when it happens.

If the Browns can't make a move up...well, then as far as I'm concerned it is anyone's bet who Farmer will mark as his first draft pick of his reign.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There is logic in those statements. However, just how did it work out when we trusted the FO when they drafted Weeden? How about BQ? Timid?

Different Front office.. Not the same people.. How do you know they won't get it right?

I know you don't necessarly feel this way, but so far, this front office hasn't really done anything that I totally disagree with. I didn't like losing DQ or Ward, but they put good guys in their places.. so worst case, it's a wash..

Loved bring in Tate, Burleson Ok, Keeping Mack=A+,

Standing on their own, the decisions made sense.

Still not sure that firing Chud was the answer but that's water over the bridge and it wasn't a decision that Farmer made..

So, thus far, the current regime hasn't given me any reason to think they can't get it right.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #865639 04/17/14 09:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Still not sure that firing Chud was the answer but that's water over the bridge and it wasn't a decision that Farmer made..

In road construction, we prefer when the water flows under the bridge.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Lot's of WR screens and shovel passes.

Watch his feet, especially right after being sacked.

DCDAWGFAN #865641 04/17/14 10:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

In road construction, we prefer when the water flows under the bridge.

LOL Yes, of course My Bad

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
He's definitely not a finished product. He is the best thrower in the draft, though.

I wouldn't take him in the 1st round, definitely not at 4. He needs a year or two on the bench before he is ready.

If he reaches his ceiling, I think he's an elite QB. Don't know if he'll get there.

you had a good run Hank.
E
Legend
Legend
E
when we trusted the FO when they drafted Weeden? How about BQ? Timid?

just a few quick notes on that.

1. Farmer/Pettine is not the same people as previous GMs...I know I'm stating the obvious but its like saying why take a HC...they all will make the same mistake as our HC's of the past. This group gets the opportunity for their own guy.

2. I don't think BQ nor Weeden was anybodies CHOICE as THE GUY I think both were Reaches for a position of NEED. Both also were the 2nd pick in a round. Its an unwritten thought process that if you have 2 picks in a round you can take a chance on a position of need that is more riskier but you feel strongly they would not be there the next time you pick.

3. Couch...was a mistake regardless of who...Possibly even LUCK would have failed as we never built a team around Couch, we just ignored the OL and made investment in 2nd round WRs like that was going to fix things. Whoever we took at QB as an expansion team would run the risk of being damaged goods before they could WIN for us.

But the picks of BQ n Weeden were just stabs at the Best of the rest BQ to appease maybe? Weeden out of desperation.

This time what is essential is that we HAVE A NUMBER 1 guy in our mind as OUR QB...and I got my preferences but I don't care who they pick as long as its their FIRST CHOICE...if their first choice is gone and they feel a need...my only wish is they don't go for their #2 or #3 choice at 26 or 35...they take a developmental prospect in the mid rounds...NO MORE SLOPPY SECOND for the Browns...sorry for the phrasing but it fit perfect. For the kids its when you get second serving food from the lunch lady they don't care and just slop it on

I want the first choice and if its Carr regardless if Vers n I do not like him much...as long as they are sure and its THEIR GUY - I don't care where they get him. Just get him...not their well he's the best of what is left guy!

So for me I hope we do not take a QB at #26 or 35 cause the odds are he ain't our first choice. Enough of the rest stuff. The odds of a Rodgers being out there is not high...odds are they are a BQ or Weeden type.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I think carr would be a huge mistake. nuff said. would much rather take murray in the 3rd round

rich52 #865645 04/17/14 11:13 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
100% agree. Carr is far too risky. Just saying that if he does reach his ceiling, he's going to be a hell of a QB.

But I think he'll get some GM fired.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Carr lovers

Link Copied to Clipboard