Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After listening to Farmer, I believe he will sign a FA before camp.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

After listening to Farmer, I believe he will sign a FA before camp.

Either that or we will trade for someone.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keep an eye on the packers roster. They just drafted 3 wr in this draft!

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I don't see anyone that would be available in a trade that is worth a first round pick.

I never suggested using a 1st in a trade. I only mentioned the two 1st round picks as a possible rationale for being possibly willing to part with a 2nd round pick in the event you have an opportunity to trade for a legit WR1.

Legend
Legend
Would Miami cut Mike Wallace? I ask because of the WRs they drafted and Wallace drop issues.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Would Miami cut Mike Wallace? I ask because of the WRs they drafted and Wallace drop issues.

Funny you mention Wallace because he was one of the guys that came to my mind. Maybe we can trade a late pick for him? I bet Miami wants to dump him.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Funny you mention Wallace because he was one of the guys that came to my mind. Maybe we can trade a late pick for him? I bet Miami wants to dump him.

You want to take on the $17.2 million in guaranteed money he's owed this season?

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I have said this before in a Free Agency thread, but I generally like the idea of the Browns making a play for someone like Miles Austin. I know he's been battling injuries in recent years, but when healthy Miles can contribute to an offense. I just hope we do something to address the WR position at some point because I don't like any of the guys we have on our depth chart minus Gordon.

It would have been so awesome if we would of picked Evans at # 4. This whole Josh Gordon debacle would have hurt so much less. (I would have said Watkins, but I think he got into trouble with weed too, no?)

You're correct. Sammy Watkins was arrested for drug possession in 2012. This is why I couldn't understand why so many in the Cleveland media were clamoring for us to draft him as a 'safety valve' for Josh Gordon.

I also agree that taking Mike Evans at #4 would have made the JG news much easier to digest, especially being that he was teammates with Johnny Football.

On the other hand, as I've stated before, rookie WR's rarely make a big impact in their first year. The WR route tree in the NFL is much more complex than those used in college.

The JG news may end up not hurting us that bad if Farmer is able to address the position effectively in the coming weeks and/or after cuts are made; and trust me, he WILL address the position and we WILL NOT go into the start of the NFL season with our current depth chart at WR.

There were a record number of WR's taken in this year's draft and there are quite a few very capable veteran WR's who could be cut due to save teams cap space. These same receivers, the likes of a Michael Crabtree for example, could also possibly be obtained by trading a mid round draft pick. Going that route could actually provide us more bang for our buck THIS YEAR as opposed to handing the #1 WR job over to a rookie, no matter who he is.

I know the JG news really stings right now, but give Farmer a chance to address the position. There may be a lot of happy faces when we obtain a good veteran WR for either Johnny or Brian to throw to instead of the unreliable Josh Gordon; and I say unreliable because we've come to find that we just can't depend on him to be on the field for us on Sundays because he has a substance abuse problem. That is why these types of players are often completely removed from team's draft boards. They do you know good and hurt your franchise in SO many ways - not only on the field but from a PR standpoint and so on.

Also, imagine how much worse this news would have stung if the Browns went into the season starting Johnny Manziel, we get off to a 4-1 start or something and then Gordon gets suspended for the rest of the year. At least with this happening now, we have time to create a solid plan to address the issue.

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You want to take on the $17.2 million in guaranteed money he's owed this season?

We have the space and no WRs, so yes.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fair enough...I don't really see the point in paying $17.2 million (plus another $6.6 million guaranteed) for a one year rental of a streak WR in a rebuilding year.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have said this before in a Free Agency thread, but I generally like the idea of the Browns making a play for someone like Miles Austin. I know he's been battling injuries in recent years, but when healthy Miles can contribute to an offense. I just hope we do something to address the WR position at some point because I don't like any of the guys we have on our depth chart minus Gordon.

It would have been so awesome if we would of picked Evans at # 4. This whole Josh Gordon debacle would have hurt so much less. (I would have said Watkins, but I think he got into trouble with weed too, no?)

You're correct. Sammy Watkins was arrested for drug possession in 2012. This is why I couldn't understand why so many in the Cleveland media were clamoring for us to draft him as a 'safety valve' for Josh Gordon.

Misdemeanor possession arrest =/= six failed drug tests

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fair enough...I don't really see the point in paying $17.2 million (plus another $6.6 million guaranteed) for a one year rental of a streak WR in a rebuilding year.

I don't see it as a rebuilding year. This is where we differ.

A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
Austin Colley and Santonio Holmes are the only decent receivers out there in free agency. Doubt we would want either of them.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
New FO, new coaching staff, new schemes, coming off of a 5-11 season, two low-odds QB's duking in out in camp...

Sounds like a rebuilding year to me. Again, fair enough, though.

Any which way, I don't think it's a good idea to take on the bloated contract of a limited WR.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

New FO, new coaching staff, new schemes, coming off of a 5-11 season, two low-odds QB's duking in out in camp...

Any which way, I don't think it's a good idea to take on the bloated contract of a limited WR.

Indianapolis 2012 and Kansas City 2013.

The league is different than it used to be. QB play is a gigantic factor. If we don't get any free agent WRs I might agree.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Special Teams is of the highest priority this year!! Gotta have a short field to work with,and give the other team a long one.Have to manufacture runs and do some bunting folks!!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Indianapolis 2012 and Kansas City 2013.

The league is different than it used to be. QB play is a gigantic factor. If we don't get any free agent WRs I might agree.

Those teams both had great QB play to buoy those results.

I don't really see us competing legitimately with Hoyer or Manziel.

Fliers dont often work out as long term solutions at QB. It happens, and you never know, but the odds are pretty low.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's all about the QB....nothing less, nothing more. If QB position plays well, we will be competing for the division. If not, we will have two top ten picks next year, and whoever the new GM is will probably eff it up.

Hopefully Hoyer or Manziel can be a top 16 QB this year.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

It's all about the QB....
....and whoever the new GM is will probably eff it up.

Hopefully Hoyer or Manziel can be a top 16 QB this year.

Seems like you've already lost all faith in Haslam and/or Farmer.

New GM? Really?

Farmer just gave Haslam and most of the fans (at least the logical ones) the best Christmas present in May that we/he could possibly wish for in Johnny Manziel and without reaching while also gaining an additonal 1st rounder next year. That bought him at least a 3 year leash IMHO and either way, Farmer has shown a lot of poise throughout all of the drama of the highs and lows in less than a 24 hour period.

He's also show excellent poise prior to the draft...he had everyone from every NFL Team Exec., Mike Mayock to Chris Mortenson, and the entire Browns Backers Worldwide having no idea how he was going to approach and who he was going to take in this draft and that shows how great of a GM Farmer can be, and in only his first year as GM.

He will only grow from this experience and will continue to get better w/ time. Sky is the limit for Ray Farmer IMO.

There's no reason to hire a new GM or Head Coach. These guys didn't bat an eye in the face of extreme adversity and stuck to their board...got some pretty darn good UDFA WR's to compete and that's only the start in how they plan on addressing the position if you've followed Farmer at all this offseason.

That "new GM" statement that you made was pretty moronic.

JMHO
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, I think Farmer is entrenched for at least a few years.

Loved the pick up of the extra first.

Could've done without Manziel...so tired of these half-assed flier/project picks at QB when they tumble down the boards. Then we have to suffer through for two or three years before hitting the reset button. Frye, Quinn, McCoy, Weeden...once of these years, I hope the stars align and we're in position to grab The Guy.

R
Legend
Legend
R
See if you can wrap your head around this one without it exploding....I don't want Farmer fired. I thought he did a pretty decent job in the draft. Take all the time you need to think about that.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Dwayne Bowe is another guy who I think you could get for a mid-round draft pick in 2015.

Mike Wallace is almost certainly available - but you need to be able to renegotiate his contract to make it much more team friendly. I do think the signing bonus would still be the dolphins responsibility either way, right? He's a possible cap-casualty on July 1 as well, might get him for free.

People have mentioned Michael Crabtree, but I think the 49ers hold onto him, unless we offer something good. The 49ers are so close, in order to jettison one of their best WRs.

We could sign Miles Austin tomorrow, same with Santonio Holmes, both should come reasonably cheap.

Maybe an older guy on a rebuilding team? Like a Roddy White?

~Lyuokdea
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I think everyone should watch Ray Farmer's press conference after the conclusion of the draft last night. I believe that he made some pretty strong statements about his draft philosophy and why we didn't end up with a WR, as well as how we plan to address the position moving forward.

Ray Farmer Press Conference After Draft's Conclusion

JMHO
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Transcript: Ray Farmer Post Draft Press Conference

On how good Browns WR Greg Little can be:
“The young man’s talented. The question mark would then fall onto can he be consistent and do the things that he has physically demonstrated he can do at times. If he continues to do those things and add a level of consistency, the difference between being good and great is consistency. That’s really the difference. When a guy shows you he can do anything, he shows you he can jump up and make the one-handed catch, he shows you he can break a tackle, the question then is can he repeatedly do that over and over again. That’s the difference between being average or marginal, and good or great.”

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/05/10/transcript-ray-farmer-post-draft-press-conference/

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
The free agents (Austin, Holmes) leave me 'meh', we need Little to fulfill his ability. He's not a WR1, but he's the closest thing we have, if he can just overcome the drops. Little, Hawkins, Burleson wiill be our main WR rotation, with (I'm guessing) increased snaps for Josh Cooper. I like Cooper; all he does is get open and catch the ball. Next year in Round 1, we get the best available WR.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm glad someone can accurately assess his talent without trying to cut him to send a message.

Rookie
Rookie
I'm ok with Little for one more year. I like his toughness and can get fired up. He can be a beast after the catch and will fight for the ball. I think/hope his drop phase is mostly behind him...and lets face it...no one was throwing the ball where it needed to be. This could be his big moment.

Also think Hawkins can be a great outlet guy. Very gritty, and quick.

Couple of undrafted WRs signed yesterday, too.

I vow to smack everyone who says the importance of the running back is diminished in the NFL today.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not to mention we plan on running tha ball. We are back to a west coast type control O that isn't as vertical

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
just clicking.
What are the best options left to addres the Wide Receiver?

At this point, I think when I see reporters harping on why another team didn't draft a player at a position of need, that the Browns should take the opportunity and see if there's a trade that makes sense.
I think I heard the Lions didn't address DB, and the Panthers didn't address OT, so at this point, I'd see if there's a player for player trade that just makes too much sense, a win, win, deal.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as I know we do now have some new yet officially unconfirmed (and hopefully non-potsmoking ) wide receivers.

Link:

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/05/2014-cleveland-browns-undrafted-free-agents/

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

When thinking about where the team finds itself with all of the uncertainty around Gordon, I have to ask myself and you, fellow Brown's fans, what does Charles Johnson offer us?
The team surely can't be as dismissive about him as I've heard from poster's when his name has been brought up before. Granted he's an unknown quantity but the Packers, who know wide receiver talent were reportedly upset when we claimed him last year. 6'2", 215 40 time in the 4.3 neighborhood. He deserves as much consideration as any UDFA that we are bringing in. What looked like a blunder when his knee didn't check out and we were "stuck" with him might turn into something.

Also, keep in mind there was virtually no buzz about Gordon before we took him.

This was Charles' draft profile when he came into the league.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/11/14 03:43 PM.
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was arrested for weed, and a controlled substance as well.

By that you mean Sammy Watkins, right? I've yet to hear of Mike Evans ever being arrested.

Just wanted clarification on that because it would be news to me.

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He was arrested for weed, and a controlled substance as well.

By that you mean Sammy Watkins, right? I've yet to hear of Mike Evans ever being arrested.

Just wanted clarification on that because it would be news to me.

Yes, Watkins. He was arrested in 2012 for possession of pot and a controlled substance. Pot possession is one thing, but pot plus a controlled substance is bad news. Hopefully it was a one time thing, but as we have found out with Gordon. you can't be too careful with this stuff.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just find it amusing that so many people think you can teach a receiver "soft hands".

I also think those advocating Little as a #1 receiver are hanging out with Gordon sharing a post draft day bowl!

Legend
Legend
I don't think that you can teach "soft hands", but I do think that a receiver can improve catching with his hands.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I just find it amusing that so many people think you can teach a receiver "soft hands".

I also think those advocating Little as a #1 receiver are hanging out with Gordon sharing a post draft day bowl!

the guy can do it. that one game he caught everything thrown his way. hey I am not a little fan but I am not ready to cut him yet. maybe something will click.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't think that you can teach "soft hands", but I do think that a receiver can improve catching with his hands.

Not at this point.

You don't think these guys have had good coaching up to this point? You somehow think these guys have become world class receivers and haven't been coached to catch a ball??

You learn to catch a ball when you are 5-6-7. There may be some refinements, but by the time the guy is drafted, he has been taught everything there is to be taught.

It's not like HS coaches and college coaches don't understand how to teach that......it's one of the basics.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Not at this point.

You don't think these guys have had good coaching up to this point? You somehow think these guys have become world class receivers and haven't been coached to catch a ball??

You learn to catch a ball when you are 5-6-7. There may be some refinements, but by the time the guy is drafted, he has been taught everything there is to be taught.

It's not like HS coaches and college coaches don't understand how to teach that......it's one of the basics.

Well stated.

I think with Little it's more of a mental thing because he has shown 'soft hands' before but then he shows 'stone hands' on the next couple of plays. I think he knows how to catch the ball the right way and with 'soft hands' but that it might be a confidence thing where it has become somewhat natural to him to revert back to poor fundamentals; trying to catch the ball with his gut or thinking too much about what he is going to do after the catch before actually catching the ball.

This also is questionable though because you can't really teach mental toughness. Nonetheless, the coaching staff can try to devise a plan to make him as mentally tough, confident, and fundamentality sound as possible.

They need to run him through as many drills as possible that teach him to keep his cool catching the ball in turmoil and teach him how to approach catching the ball and then turning upfield from a mental standpoint as opposed to a physical standpoint.

He's shown flashes. He just needs to put it all together.

JMHO
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I think with Little it's more of a mental thing because he has shown 'soft hands' before but then he shows 'stone hands' on the next couple of plays. I think he knows how to catch the ball the right way and with 'soft hands' but that it might be a confidence thing where it has become somewhat natural to him to revert back to poor fundamentals; trying to catch the ball with his gut or thinking too much about what he is going to do after the catch before actually catching the ball.

that's what happens when you play someone that isn't ready to play. he should have sat until he was ready. instead broke his confidence playing him too much and too soon.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Pot possession is one thing, but pot plus a controlled substance is bad news

Not necessarily.

If it were felony POACS, then I'd worry.

But misdemeanor could just mean he had grass and a single painkiller or anxiety med.

Guy's going to be eating painkillers like candy once he hits the NFL anyway.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard