Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Legend
Legend
R
Who are "folks like these"?

Legend
Legend
I would easily give up at least one of our 2015 firsts for Megatron.

He's Gordon without all the baggage.

I think saying "I'd give up he entire 2015 draft" is a little hyperbolish. But I understand the feeling.

However I'll wait to make sure we have any good QBs before I get that drastic...

1st and a 2nd? Sure.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
This is not going to happen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is not going to happen.

Nope.

And if it does, it won't be till NEXT year. Detroit would have to make 16mil of cap space just to trade him right now..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would trade the entire 2015 draft for Calvin Johnson.

And I'm not kidding.

I got two words for you, Mike and Ditka

Need I say more?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Wouldn't "Mike and Ditka" be 3 words? "Richard Jewell", just for example, would be 2 words.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

And I'm not kidding.

Need I say more?

Ricky Williams wasn't a NFL superstar.

Megatron is.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I'm not kidding.

Need I say more?

Megatron is.

What's your point? My point is simple, you NEVER give up an entire draft for one player. It's idiotic. Doesn't matter who the player is or who he may become. it's dumb

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I'm not kidding.

Need I say more?

Megatron is.

What's your point? My point is simple, you NEVER give up an entire draft for one player. It's idiotic. Doesn't matter who the player is or who he may become. it's dumb

I understand what you're saying, but does your opinion change on QBs?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but does your opinion change on QBs?
ïbr />

I would say for a proven QB in his prime (aaron rogers), absolutely give away 1 draft.

On that note, having a proven franchise QB could also open up the door for a massive trade for a guy like MegaTron. Considering that we are still in search mode, we can't give up 1st rounders for WRs. Our 2015 picks are Manziel-Insurance!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Andre Johnson wonders aloud about Texans future

The Texans opened minicamp last week without veteran wide receiver Andre Johnson, and then failed to add a quarterback of substance during the NFL Draft.

And in the days since, it doesn’t sound like Johnson is thrilled with the direction of the franchise, saying he wondered “is this still the place for me?”

“This offseason has been very frustrating for me,” Johnson said, via the Houston Chronicle.

Johnson, speaking at a charity event, said he hadn’t asked for a trade, but won’t be reporting to voluntary OTAs or minicamp.

He said he’s talking to team officials weekly, but was clearly bothered by something, saying he was in a “situation,” and that he’d see “what happens.”

Texans owner Bob McNair might not be worried about the team’s quarterback situation after a 2-14 season, but the 32-year-old Johnson doesn’t have to be thrilled about catching passes from the law firm of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Savage, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/andre-johnson-wonders-aloud-about-texans-future/

Andre Johnson, Wide Receiver, Contract Terms

2014: $6.5 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $11 million, 2017: Free Agent

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that makes him classless and nobody would want such a classless player here!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
hmm...

a 2nd for Andre Johnson and our 1st for Calvin Johnson?

Still have

BUF #1
CLE #3
BUF #4
CLE #4
CLE #5
CLE #6
BAL #6
CLE #7

C
Legend
Legend
C
There is also the Kyle Shanahan connection.

C
1st String
1st String
C
A really great punter would come in handy.Long booming kicks,to keep the other guys pinned deep!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

hmm...

a 2nd for Andre Johnson and our 1st for Calvin Johnson?

Still have

BUF #1
CLE #3
BUF #4
CLE #4
CLE #5
CLE #6
BAL #6
CLE #7

I think the rest of the NFL might cry foul, lol!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
PB. Just saw that same story and thought, that is our guy. I hope Farmer has already made the inquiry. Johnson would be a great pick up. While a 2nd is a lot to offer, would prefer our 3rd, I would still do it. Gives us a legit playmaker at WR and a mentor to our young WR and leadership on the offensive side of the ball. Plus he already knows the playbook.

Would really give me a renewed confidence after not addressing WR in the draft. And fill that whole in my stomach I have had since Friday after hearing the Gordon news.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that makes him classless and nobody would want such a classless player here!

Actually, it really does make him classless and no, I don't want him here

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
It's Andre Johnson. I'd give up that 2nd in less than a second, and not bat an eye thinking about it.
Hehe, I would definitely also try to dangle that 1st for Megatron.

Could you imagine if Gordon doesn't get suspended and we would have Megatron, Gordon and Andre? Gordon as your slot guy? lol!

SICK.

Browns is the Browns

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

Andre Johnson classless? Am I missing something between you and the other poster? Why is Johnson classless and why wouldn't you want him here?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

It's Andre Johnson. I'd give up that 2nd in less than a second, and not bat an eye thinking about it.

Could you imagine if Gordon doesn't get suspended and we would have Megatron, Gordon and Andre? Gordon as your slot guy? lol!

SICK.

the guy is 32. going to be 33 before the season starts. I think a second is too much.

Legend
Legend
And if you get 4 decent years out of him - which, barring injury you definitely will - that is more than the average 2nd round pick in the league.

Browns is the Browns

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

SICK.

the guy is 32. going to be 33 before the season starts. I think a second is too much.

I agree a 2nd would be a steep price. I would have no problem giving up a 3rd.

I just think that given our need, the fact he already knows the playbook, and his playmaking ability I wouldn't be upset if we gave up a second.

I think Little would be the biggest benefactor if we did get Johnson. I think with his leadership Little would blossom.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
doesn't matter. they would have 11,964,166 in dead money. they arnt going to do that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/andre-johnson/

Last edited by pblack18707; 05/13/14 09:14 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I was going to give up a 2nd, I would want Andre to renegotiate his contract.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Thanks PBlk. That's a deal killer. No way Houston eats that cap hit.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

If I was going to give up a 2nd, I would want Andre to renegotiate his contract.

Why Jester?

Andre Johnson, Wide Receiver, Contract Terms

2014: $6.5 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $11 million,

Those aren't horrible numbers for a #1 WR.

Given Pblacks cap hit figure I think Johnson is off the list.

I also think Holmes is out, given that Haslam and Pettine have both worked with him and to the best of my knowledge we should no interest after he was cut. I could be wrong.

Legend
Legend
That's not exactly how dead money works... That's the number if they just cut him. If it's just guaranteed money they haven't paid out yet then the Browns (or whoever traded for him) would be on the hook for it and it would be off the books for Houston. They only eat what they've already paid out but haven't hit against the cap yet.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Thanks for clearing that up clsteve. I thought any bonus is automatically prorated against the cap and any move be it trade or release accelerates that hit. So if he gat a 5 year contract with 20 gar. it counted 4 per and since he has 3 years left it would count 12 mil to move him.

That would make Calvin and Fits untradeable also.

The best option would probably be to look at cash strapped teams with some decent WR depth that have guys with 1-2 years remaining on their rookie deals. A situation like Demarrius Thomas, (which will not happen).

Another option could be Brandon Marshall. If I am not mistaken he is in the final year of his deal and with the emergence of Jefferies could be gettable. (Not likely though)

Thanks to predator for doing the research. (All I needed to do was go back to page 4)

Nelson, Cobb or Marshall would be great gets, but I think both will be next to impossible to get without overpaying. I like Roddy White but I don't see ATL moving him.

Two lesser names I like that would be upgrades and possibly get at a reasonable price are Cecil Shorts and Denarrius Moore.

Last edited by Penny; 05/14/14 01:16 AM.
Legend
Legend
It really depends on what kind of bonus it is.

A signing bonus is paid all at once to the player, but allocates against the team's cap on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 4 years. Reporting bonuses, workout bonuses, and such are allocated on an annual basis.

Guarantees work differently. They "travel" with the player if he is traded. (though signing bonuses are counted as guaranteed money, they are different in this regard)

Let's say that a player has a 4 year deal with a $10 million signing bonus, and additional guarantees that fully guarantee his 1st 3 seasons at $4 million each. (just to use a number) His signing bonus would account for an annual cap hit of $2,5 million as long as he is on the team under this contract. Once traded or cut, that remaining signing bonus would accelerate against the cap. If he is traded, then his new team would take on the cap responsibility for his salary guarantees.

There are a lot of really complicated aspects of the NFL cap, and even though I think that I know a lot, there is a lot that I am not 100% sure on.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
The worst part about all of this, the Gordon fiasco, the possibilities of getting a WR..

Won't be happening for a while..

Towards the last week of predraft, I didn't even care anymore, I just wanted it to be over, I was tired of waiting..

And now here we are again, waiting to see what happens.. I hate it..

Legend
Legend
At least it's never boring.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I must have mis-heard his contract. I thought that he was going to make 6.5 this year and 15 next year. Then be a free agent after 2015. I wanted to restructure to add years. I wouldn't want to give a 2nd round pick for only 2 years.

I looked and saw somewhere that confirms your numbers.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Andre Johnson classless? Am I missing something between you and the other poster? Why is Johnson classless and why wouldn't you want him here?

Yeah, you are missing something. Read Pits post and then read my response.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I see nothing wrong with a guy, who has been a Pro's Pro since he got into the league, voicing his displeasure with how the team is handling the QB position..

Specifically if his season, and the teams, are dependent on that position...

Why the hell would Andre Johnson want to spend his last 3-4 years in the league catching passes from Ryan Fitzpatrick and HOPING Tom Savage becomes anything?

He's earned his right on that team to voice his opinion.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I see nothing wrong with a guy, who has been a Pro's Pro since he got into the league, voicing his displeasure with how the team is handling the QB position..

Specifically if his season, and the teams, are dependent on that position...

Why the hell would Andre Johnson want to spend his last 3-4 years in the league catching passes from Ryan Fitzpatrick and HOPING Tom Savage becomes anything?

He's earned his right on that team to voice his opinion.

Generally, I don't either. But I prefer them to keep it in house. Not in the press.

What's the value of it being out there for all to read?

I don't like Whiners. you got a problem with your employer, talk to them. You don't need to go to the press. It's childish.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's not exactly how dead money works... That's the number if they just cut him. If it's just guaranteed money they haven't paid out yet then the Browns (or whoever traded for him) would be on the hook for it and it would be off the books for Houston. They only eat what they've already paid out but haven't hit against the cap yet.

Also, if they move him after June 1, then they can prorate any escalating dead money over this year and next.

The NFL is the Home of Funny Accounting... where there's a will, there's usually a way to make things happen.

Browns is the Browns

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Houston needs a QB. We need a WR. What if Houston offered Andre Johnson for Brian Hoyer straight up right now and said that we had 3 days to take it or leave it. What would you do?

Last edited by ShotCaller; 05/14/14 02:27 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would trade Brandon Hoyer in a second! I'd keep Brian though...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What are the best options left to address Wide Receiver?

Link Copied to Clipboard