Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

But what is the point of trading him or cutting him?

I never advocated doing either.

I'd certainly trade him if the price was right, but his stock isn't very high right now.

We've got him on the cheap for a bit. If he pulls it together, great. If not, see ya.

I wouldn't be shocked if the team waived him, but I wouldn't.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
One would think that after being suspended that he would do absolutely everything in his power to stay away from weed and alcohol considering what he has to lose with further run ins.

Be the law right or wrong, or be the NFL rules fair or unfair has nothing to do with it. In Josh's case weed and/or alcohol can cost him millions of dollars. With his proven talent that could be millions and millions of dollars along with a historically, illustrious NFL career for which he's worked his whole life toward. So one would think it would be an easy decision to stay away from such things no matter how much it hurt or how much the buzz is calling.

But I say that about someone who has issues I don't have.

In my life I make many stupid decisions and by that go on to perform the same stupid actions over and over which are really not toward my own best interests. I often think of myself, "Damn, why do I keep doing this?!" And I'm not talking about illegal things. Just repeating stupid mistakes the likes of which don't cost me millions but do cost me significant grief time and time again.

It's easy for me to point to another person's shortcomings conveniently overlooking my own even though mine is just as "stupid" and just as easily avoided.

I don't know what to think about Josh Gordon nor do I have any advice for him. What I do have is a lack of authority to pass judgement upon him. I love the guy for what he's done for us using his talent and feel bad for him as it seems he's in the grip of something of which he thinks he has no control even though he does. That's a shame. I've been there many times myself, for different reasons, so I can hardly cast the first stone.

I hope he gets the help to get his mind right. Both for the Browns but even more for himself.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
OK, so Gordon clearly likes to hang out with lowlifes... Why does he have to drive them around?

C
1st String
1st String
C
So how's that decision to pass on Watkins working out now?.. Idiots.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

We once had Kevin Mack, and he did far worse than Gordon has.

I don't think Mack was ever suspended more than once.

Vastly different rules back then. There was not nearly as much in depth drug testing, (comparatively) and Mack didn't stop until he wound up in the middle of a massive drug deal with a (person of ill repute) by his side. (IIRC) His penalty was brought about by being sentenced to 6 months in prison for cocaine use.He was suspended by the NFL for ...... are you ready .......

30 days.

The only reason why he was suspended was because of the criminal aspect of the case. That would have been his 1st positive test otherwise.

Now if anyone believes that he had just started using cocaine at that point, then they are living in a fantasy land. To me, cocaine use is far worse than marijuana and even driving at 0.09%. In the days when Mack was arrested, a 0.09% likely wouldn't have even gotten a driver arrested. The limit in those days was .10%, and even then a driver was liable to slide if he wasn't visually impaired. Heck, prior to 1982, the legal limit was 0,15%. In 1982, it was reduced to 0.10%. In 2003, it went to 0.08%.

I am not excusing Gordon's behavior, because he knows the rules, or he should by now. However, I am not of the belief that he is irreparably damaged, and can never turn himself around. For me, a large part of that belief comes from the way Mack turned his like around after his prison sentence.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
All I care about as far as these guys are concerned is being on the field and scoring touchdowns.

These guys aren't my family or friends. I don't really care what they're doing. Gordon can smoke crack and shoot smack for all I care.

Just don't get caught.

Josh Cribbs smoked weed his whole career here...but he was smart enough to get caught, so I never cared.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Ive changed my mind and come around to the other side on this situation.

Josh Gordon is a supreme athlete, and furthermore a 23 year old that is unaware of what his actions could do to his career and life. He still hasn't finished college, and is on the verge of giving up millions upon millions if he hasn't already.

If the Cleveland Browns stand behind him, help him right the ship...it sends a better message than cutting him. If we do right by him...perhaps he returns the favor, and beyond that...it could be great when it comes to free agent time. Obviously he needs to understand that his actions are ruining his career and that he has to be given a get it together or youll be gone statement. But if we stand by him, believing that we can get the best from him...not as a player, but as a person...the positives far outweigh the negatives.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pretty good, solid starting Corner, and a possible High 1st next year..

That's just the basics, I mean I could talk about how rookie WRs rarely produce, or how Watkins and Gordon are two completely different skill sets..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

Pretty good, solid starting Corner, and a possible High 1st next year..

That's just the basics, I mean I could talk about how rookie WRs rarely produce, or how Watkins and Gordon are two completely different skill sets..

Don't draft WRs because they rarely produce? So just build with FAs,at WR? Okay..

Legend
Legend
Did you know that Sammy Watkins was arrested on drug charges back in May of 2012?

I seriously have to wonder if that's why the Browns passed on him. With one WR having drug issues, the last thing you want in another potential problem. He has appeared to stay clean since ..... but who knows how comfortable the Browns felt investing such a high pick if there were any concerns at all .... especially with a huge offer on the table for the pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Did you know that Sammy Watkins was arrested on drug charges back in May of 2012?

I seriously have to wonder if that's why the Browns passed on him. With one WR having drug issues, the last thing you want in another potential problem. He has appeared to stay clean since ..... but who knows how comfortable the Browns felt investing such a high pick if there were any concerns at all .... especially with a huge offer on the table for the pick.

Let's see how those 1st rd WRs produce this year on their given teams,and get back to me on how they faired.

Legend
Legend
The only 1st round WR I wanted was Mike Evans, who I wouldn't have taken at 4.

And while yes, that was a deep WR draft, it isn't that last draft or oppurtunity to aquire a WR well ever have..

Losing Gordon sucks, but again, we won 4 games with him, I feel as though we can win more than that without him...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

j/c

if only he would have insisted on a blood alcohol test, that would have bought him about 45 minutes, and he would have burned off the .01 to make him legal.

oh well.

If only he had a BRAIN and called a cab or a car service.... Not a difficult concept to grasp. Not like he doesn't have the money. Problem is doesn't have the brains. See, I have zero problem with a guy smoking weed. I firmly believe it should be legal in all 50 States. I believe the Players Union should have bargained HGH testing in, for weed testing out.... it's legal in 2 States and with a prescription in 22 and DC. I'm quite sure players would be eligible for a script considering beatings they endure.
Problem is the players KNOW that is ISN'T legal in the NFL right now. So the choice is, smoke up and do something else for a living or stay clean and enjoy an NFL career. Josh Gordon has decided he'd rather smoke up and party. He knew his appeal hearing was soon and he decided calling a cab or a service was too high a price to play football anytime soon. A professional sports player has NO excuse for getting busted for a DUI. They surely can afford a cab. But it goes beyond that. Why do these numbskull players drive anywhere? Hire a service and be driven anywhere you wish in style and comfort.

Josh Gordon doesn't want to play football. He's quit the sport. If you doubt that, look at his actions. Facing an indefinite suspension, knowing he has to present himself in the best light possible to reduce his suspension, he gets busted for DUI. He might just as well call up Goodell and ask him for another year added on to his sentence. Pretty please....with sugar on top!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

OK, so Gordon clearly likes to hang out with lowlifes... Why does he have to drive them around?

I honestly have no answer for his actions. I drove for six years on a suspended license. Everyday, as though I had a good license. That was during my era of smoking weed for 15 years 24/7. Not getting caught was by virtue of my being careful because I wanted to avoid the circumstances. I drove drunk (not crazy drunk) and I drove high, but always focused on being careful. In neither state did I or would I have ever done 50mph in a 35. That's asking for it by simply not focusing on being careful.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Guys like this need to hit rock bottom before they change.. Problem is, I don't think he has yet.. Still has money and a job.. at least till he's suspended.

I agree. He has a few more tricks up his sleeve.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
The kid really doesn't have a clue. He's got major issues. MAJOR ISSUES!

He's very young; and yes, we can all talk about the dumb stuff we did when we were in our early 20's. At the same time, none of us had the opportunity of a lifetime that JG has had/has/have.

Had many of us been on the cusp of certainly receiving many MILLIONS of dollars, even though we were young, we'd certainly screw our heads on enough to do WHATEVER it took to achieve this accomplishment.

JG's actions show me time and time again that he has a serious problem, dating back to his teenage years at Baylor, then Utah. The kid loves his drugs and alcohol, and while we may have loved it too at a younger age in our lives and maybe even now, if someone were to tell us to "Stay straight for a bit and many MILLIONS of dollars will ABSOLUTELY be yours!" we surely would have done whatever it took not to screw it up. This kid is actually doing EVERYTHING possible TO screw it up!

SMH!

Unless there is something I'm unaware of, the Browns NEED To get rid of this distraction NOW! The team needs to suspend him. What a shame it would be if he's roaming the sidelines during training camp awaiting the inevitable! Every other player would just shake their heads whenever they glance at him. He is a HUGE distraction at this point, not to mention the snaps he will be taking away from his imminent replacement.

I DO NOT want to see JG in camp. I DO NOT want to see him in the Brown and Orange. Not for a long while. I want to see him arrange for a press conference, admit to his faults, and then admit himself into a LONG-TERM rehabilitation program. Get his mind right. Get his attitude right. He needs to understand what LIFE is. What exactly his actions are resulting in. What exactly the repercussions his actions HAVE HAD and are continuing to have on his life,

The worst that could happen for him would be for all of this STUPID, and just plain STUPID behavior to go under-punished by the NFL. HE NEEDS HELP. We need to let the league know that we are fully aware of JG's major issues and are 100% behind getting him whatever help he needs.

Get this kid some HELP before he REALLY does something that he will never be able to come back from. He is on a giant downward spiral. At this point, he is unknowingly making a cry for help. Trouble w/ the NFL for pot? Smoke more pot to cope. Trouble w/ the league for continuous speeding and recklessness? Be even more reckless.

Trying to defend him is useless, and as a Browns fan who would love to see him on the field, it would be shameful and a disgrace for me to say to myself, "Let him play so he can excite me on Sundays" when what the kid really needs is MAJOR PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP!

JMHO
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
We're not about to make a playoff run this year.

There was no need to alter a major investment decision just to put a band-aid on one position.

Besides, you shouldn't be investing in a WR in the top five unless he's a once-in-a-decade type player, or you're just on the cusp of a title run.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

.09? Come on. This is no big deal. You guys crack me up with your overreactions.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But this is the continuation of a pattern he's established.

I've generally been a supporter of Gordon, but this is throwing me over the line on him.

I'm not saying I want to cut him,, he's probably going to be suspended for the year and he has a chance to clean up over that period of time. So it doesn't hurt us or cost us a dime to let it play out. you just never know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Kinda curious as to how many of you have had a few drinks and hopped into the drivers side of your vehicle to make it home...

I know I'm guilty of doing it.. Not making excuses for the guy.. but in my opinion he needs to only do two things:

1) Stop smoking Weed
2) Get a trustworthy DD when he goes out to party or hangout

Cutting Gordon would be dumb.. Trading him however may be the best thing for the right price. Just keep him out of the AFC.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Kinda curious as to how many of you have had a few drinks and hopped into the drivers side of your vehicle to make it home...

...while awaiting a hearing regarding your second suspension for drugs.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

We're not about to make a playoff run this year.

There was no need to alter a major investment decision just to put a band-aid on one position.

Besides, you shouldn't be investing in a WR in the top five unless he's a once-in-a-decade type player, or you're just on the cusp of a title run.

A band aid? A band aid is grabbing stupid over priced FAs at that position.This team will never go anywhere with that kind of thinking.Aren't you guys tired of having an anemic offense,
knowing the game is over at 20-10? I think it sucks and am all for good young talent to stretch the defense with.

Legend
Legend

We can all have opinions on what to do with JG. But in the end analysis the league will rule. Then the Brown's have to make a decision on how they want to handle Gordon.

At some point though Josh Gordon has to figure this out on his own. He has been already given enough lectures from Haslam and many many others.

He has to want to be sober first then get people in place to help him and support him with his struggle. "Addiction" is a serious problem faced by millions. Food, alcohol, tobacco, drugs legal or illegal all can be addictive.

Gordon will either figure it out or he will fail and be out of the game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

...while awaiting a hearing regarding your second suspension for drugs.

That's exactly it. Sick of when people writing this crap off man! Yeah, we prob all have done that. Few beers, drive home cause you know you're safe to drive outside if your intoxication levels suggest otherwise. Sure. But not if you're on probation. Not if you're on "timeout". Not if you're about to face the league regarding an extended suspension. How freaking stupid can one get?

You don't have the hole dug and try to go deeper. You're taking your actions to a whole new level of stupidity.

IMO - and this is just me. I am ready to move on from Josh Gordon. The Sammy Watkin pass-up is really looking like shady-business now. Let Gordon do his drugs with his thug/drug/convicted felon buddies, that's what "he" wants to do and that is clearly what "he" feels more important.

I'm ready to wave and say good bye. Maybe Oakland has a spot on their roster for another thug.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

What if the story about a delayed flight is true and is the reason why he missed the test?

What if a few hours after the scheduled test time he took the test and the results were negative?

What if he is hanging out with the wrong guys but NOT smoking weed? But now he drinks instead of smokes...has about a half a beer too many and drives home.

Does he have a problem? Yes...he's a dumb donkey. Is he an addict? An addict to what? Weed? Alcohol? (.08 as a legal limit is a joke...but IS the law.)

He needs to stop driving over the speed limit...period...especially after drinking so much as a dose of NyQuil.

It is very possible that he has NOT tested positive for weed in a year AND had a half beer too many before driving home.

All this gnashing of teeth over him being some sort of druggie/addict is quite premature in my opinion.

Was there weed in the car this time? I'd think that would be reported if so.

Let me be clear here...I think he's a dumb donkey...but that's not illegal.

What if his transgressions for the past few months end up being a delayed flight, a lead foot, and 1/2 beer too many before driving home?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

He needs to stop driving over the speed limit

what if his speedometer is off?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

He needs to stop driving over the speed limit

what if his speedometer is off?

Or the cramp usually in his brain worked down to his foot for a few seconds. Could be.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

j/c

What if the story about a delayed flight is true and is the reason why he missed the test?

What if a few hours after the scheduled test time he took the test and the results were negative?

What if he is hanging out with the wrong guys but NOT smoking weed? But now he drinks instead of smokes...has about a half a beer too many and drives home.

Does he have a problem? Yes...he's a dumb donkey. Is he an addict? An addict to what? Weed? Alcohol? (.08 as a legal limit is a joke...but IS the law.)

He needs to stop driving over the speed limit...period...especially after drinking so much as a dose of NyQuil.

It is very possible that he has NOT tested positive for weed in a year AND had a half beer too many before driving home.

All this gnashing of teeth over him being some sort of druggie/addict is quite premature in my opinion.

What if his transgressions for the past few months end up being a delayed flight, a lead foot, and 1/2 beer too many before driving home?

Yeah,I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding.Nothing to see here.

D
Legend
Legend
D
You got so much "what if" and theory/rhetoric in that post, I think I just had a cup of tea with Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

j/c

Completely unrelated question... does your last name happen to start with a 'G'?

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
It looks like Gordon needs help. Hard to say if this will be enough to make it happen. To the outsider all of this stuff seems stupid and it's hard to explain why someone would give up millions to keep on going. How many countless addicts and alcoholics out there have given it all up? Give up their job, their family, their money, give up everything, before they are willing to get help. And others will keep going until they are dead.

Unfortunately, even with help, it can be pretty hard to "turn it off." Once you get truly addicted to stuff, it isn't easy to get past it. Your brain gets twisted on it and it a lot of self rationalization occurs. Whether you want to call it a disease or a choice, the same kinds of struggles occur in most people dealing with addictive issues.

I'm not one to say if he is an addict or not but his using is certainly creating the appearance of his life becoming unmanageable.

To compare I sure as heck don't understand a lot of things... I don't understand how people can get addicted to gambling. Is it stupid ? Sure seems that way. But it's more than that. People with gambling issues seem to have a real issue so... I'm not going to call them stupid for it. They need help.

Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Yeah,I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding.Nothing to see here.

You know what they say: 'Denial always comes first.'

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Even if he smokes weed every day and did fail a test. This was a half a beer too many, like he said.

He's an idiot, knowing what he was already facing, shouldn't drive after a single beer.

But the talk about him being a junkie and having to hit "rock bottom" and "straighten up his life" is hilarious.

It's weed and a few beers. Let's save the "rock bottom" discussion for guys getting busted with heroin and stuff, okay?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

j/c

if only he would have insisted on a blood alcohol test, that would have bought him about 45 minutes, and he would have burned off the .01 to make him legal.

oh well.

then the pot he was smoking would have shown up.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some of you guys are seriously nuts about this kid. When we drafted him several national pundits (including Lombardi) said we were stupid to give up a 2nd rounder for someone with his past and predicted this would happen. He's failed 6 (?) drug tests over the past 3 years, and while awaiting a verdict on a potential year long suspension for his last failed drug test he gets nailed with a DUI.

I understand that there is no benefit in cutting him, but there is really no benefit in keeping him on the roster either........kid can''t be counted on. I would love for him to be a feel good story and grow up, but considering getting kicked out of 2 colleges, suspended in the NFL for 4 games already, and while awaiting a 1 year suspension got a DUI, I have my doubts.

So no I don't want the Browns to cut him, because there is nothing to lose in waiting on him. However, I will not be shocked if the Browns just cut ties with him and move on without the constant cloud hanging over their head with him. Frankly, I wouldn't agree with it, but I wouldn't blame either.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's the biggest problem Top.....he isn't a "junkie." Hell if he was addicted to cocaine I would have more hope that he could turn his life around. However, this guy is just a selfish idiot who can't be relied upon to do the right thing for himself or his teammates. Addictions can be beaten, stupidity/immaturity is a can be learned, but having selfish/borderline narcissistic personality traits is really almost impossible......you are who you are at some point.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Jc

I was thinking about it. I wanted us to cut him, but honestly, I think we should give him 100 percent support like San Fran has done with aldon smith. Just force feed this guy some help. Good teams find a way to deal with there troubled players, especially if they are all-pro caliber.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
If he gets suspended for indefinitely we cannot, because the NFL and NFLPA thought it would be a goo idea to not have any contact at all between the team and suspended player. Which makes a lot of sense, because -- well -- just look at Justin Blackmon's recovery.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Watkins isn't coming in with a clean slate either. Also, I have the feeling that we'll have been running the ball much more anyway and the passing game will have been a lesser part of the game plan.

The team also knew about this problem before the draft and knew that he could (and probably would) be gone for part of the season - at the least.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, the talk about "hitting rock bottom" is pretty humorous considering he got a $2.3M signing bonus and made close to $1M in salary in his first two seasons combined. I don't think even he is dumb enough to have squandered that much money in 2+ years.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Arrested in North Carolina

Link Copied to Clipboard