Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not surprising after Shanahan was granted his release, but the WR coach is gone too.

Jeremy Fowler
‏@JFowlerESPN
More staff movement in Cleveland...#Browns have parted ways with WRs coach Mike McDaniel, per source.

Tweet

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Jester
Also, one of the reasons I don't want Callahan as our OC.

Looks like you can rest easy. Callhan appears to be headed to Washington.

Jason La CanforaVerified account
‏@JasonLaCanfora
After the Skins finalize things with Callahan, they retain interest in free agent coaches Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell on other side of ball

Tweet

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
perhaps a trestman OC with bernie as his QB coach.

Then bernie can raise up the QB the way he see fit and then have no one to blame but himself.

I think would be awesome =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
Legend
Legend
M
So...can't the song be song again in 2014 as well?....just substitute HC for OC?

"No one wants to come to Cleveland to be the Offensive Coordinator!"

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Report: Bill Callahan lands three-year deal in Washington
LINK

The Cowboys lose their OC and now the Cowboys Passing Coordinator can slide right into the OC job, same playbook and the Cowboys retain CONTINUITY.

The Browns talk about maintaining CONTINUITY...but that is all they have done since Haslam took over...talk about it.

How hard is it to copy the Cowboys method of establishing continuity?

Establish a new position, call it what you want, but make the pay grade slightly less than an OC.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #916132 01/15/15 04:04 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
so far we are eliminating the ones i wasnt very thrilled with lol

Legend
Legend
Callahan to the Redskins.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I think I'd rather go with a young guy that may make mistakes, and can learn from them..

Then a retread that makes the same mistakes he used to because he KNOWS it'll work the time..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe you'll get your wish. I mean what we do know is that our QB coach forwarded a message to our owner and GM lobbying for them to move up and draft Manziel. They did exactly that. Now did anyone hear anything about Shanahan being involved in any of this?

Does that sound like a job you would want if you had other options? If you want a yes man, get a young guy who wants his first shot. That's most likely what you'll end up with.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I think I'd rather go with a young guy that may make mistakes, and can learn from them..

Then a retread that makes the same mistakes he used to because he KNOWS it'll work the time..

I understand your point. However, mistakes may lead to losses. Too many losses will lead a trigger happy owner to fire the HC. Then all coaches are out of job regardless of how old/young they are.

I think this is a real reason why no one is legitimately tied to the Browns. I don't blame them.

But in the end it could very well be a young guy trying to make a mark because no one else wants to take the gamble. *sigh*

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unless we hire everyone we interview it will be seen as a fail by some lol.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

mourg...it's not about NAMES...use any name you want. It is about the Browns establishing some CONTINUITY when coordinators move on.

What I'm trying to do, using the Cowboys as an example, is to show how easy it would be for the Browns to maintain some "CONTINUITY" on offense.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #916166 01/15/15 04:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree 100% mac. I have guys i prefer but I hope we establish continuity in the system we run. I prefer the Coryelle offense that Chud ran but I also feel this zone run scheme is best for the personnel we do have. Keep our OL and RB coach and hire someone that will bring in the more vertical base Coryelle offense. I thought our passing attackc was better under Chud and Norv than it was under shannahan but our run game was 100% better under Shannahan and it isnt all about the backs either.

I want to set up our system and we bringcoaches up the ranks in our system. Not always trying to adapt our guys to the next big thing.

mac #916170 01/15/15 04:40 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac

mourg...it's not about NAMES...use any name you want. It is about the Browns establishing some CONTINUITY when coordinators move on.

What I'm trying to do, using the Cowboys as an example, is to show how easy it would be for the Browns to maintain some "CONTINUITY" on offense.

Agreed... but you have to put the right people in place before continuity works.

Shanny wasnt a fit... why... who the hell knows, his idea, Haslams, farmers pett's ??... bottom line he didnt work out... lets find the right guy... hope that Farmer and Pett continue to improve and then we can at least start to show some continuity.

BTW I like that idea that Jones had... he may be an ass... but if so you might as well be the smart one.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Unless we hire everyone we interview it will be seen as a fail by some lol.

Such is the draw and the fail of a board like this, no matter the Coach or FO or player decision made... some knowledgable ( and some not so) people will love it and some will hate it.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Check out how many times he's been fired and what his offensive rankings were. That might help.

Or, consider all the offensive talent they had in Chicago and how freaking pitiful they were. Does that help?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Two new interview dates. John DeFilippo on 1/16 and Al Saunders on 1/19.

Link

DeFilippo is the guy I want the most of the guys that have been mentioned. I would love to have Saunders in the same role he had with the Raiders. Some sort of Senior Offensive Assistant type job.

Legend
Legend
just so i know bro,

are any of the guys we are interviewing implement, or have implemented, the zone blocking scheme?

or will our offense be yet again learning a completely different system?

Last edited by Swish; 01/15/15 10:25 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The offensive line coach which has a history with Pettine will be staying so there is a good chance we keep the same blocking scheme for the run but i expect (hope for) a more vertical offense so will be different covering the 5 and 7 step drops.

Legend
Legend
The offensive line coach which has a history with Pettine will be staying so there is a good chance we keep the same blocking scheme for the run but i expect (hope for) a more vertical offense so will be different covering the 5 and 7 step drops.

this is al assumption based what i'm about to say, but i don't know if we can be more vertical unless we go WR heavy in draft, which i hope not, depending on how the gordon situation plays out.

we got quick route WR in hawkins and gabriel. and while they did burn people deep, asking them to do it consistently i think they won't be able to. too small. if...IF gordon makes it through the offseason with no hickups then sure. but i don't know if that will work with what we have right now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Two new interview dates. John DeFilippo on 1/16 and Al Saunders on 1/19.

Link

DeFilippo is the guy I want the most of the guys that have been mentioned. I would love to have Saunders in the same role he had with the Raiders. Some sort of Senior Offensive Assistant type job.

This is what I am hoping for as well- now that Callahan is to the redskins (Snyder supposedly opened up his wallet, wonder what kind of deal he snagged.)

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I agree 100% mac. I have guys i prefer but I hope we establish continuity in the system we run. I prefer the Coryelle offense that Chud ran but I also feel this zone run scheme is best for the personnel we do have. Keep our OL and RB coach and hire someone that will bring in the more vertical base Coryelle offense. I thought our passing attackc was better under Chud and Norv than it was under shannahan but our run game was 100% better under Shannahan and it isnt all about the backs either.

I want to set up our system and we bringcoaches up the ranks in our system. Not always trying to adapt our guys to the next big thing.

You do realize a Coryelle style of offense has the least success super bowl win percentage. I read just recently. Wish I kept note of the thread.

Balance offense with a strong defense wins more times than not. True, it is most boring and least attractive to fantasy football stats.

The article reference high passing offenses do well during the regular season for the simple fact half of your schedule is against weak to average defenses. In the playoffs, a passing team faces either heavy blitzing or strong secondary.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Vertical? When was the last time you saw more receivers for the Browns open deep than this year? Seriously bro? What are you talking about?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Gabriel is in the Steve Smith mold. Hawkins pure slot, underneath guy. Benji is afraid to run the underneath stuff. Gordon can only run a shallow cross or a deep post.

Gabriel imho is gonna be special. I may be wrong but he impressed me more than anyone on offense this year. He is little but man he can ball.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you about Gabriel being impressive. I am not going to say he is going to be special in the future, but man, he was our best all-around WR this past year. Great find by Farmer.

Legend
Legend
Theres a reason Phillip Rivers had a "career resurgence" after Norv left SD... Once you stop asking OL to block for so long they look a lot better..

NE runs shotgun it seems 95% of the time, but how often is Brady holding the ball an extremely long time?

Quick passing game. Run the ball. Play action opens up the deep throws..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We both know the Chud's corryelle version is a vertical offense and Shannahan is based on a lot of WC priciples although he does mix in the deep ball more than most of the wide based schemes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A lot of it was because Rivers just doesnt have the deep ball accuracy to run the scheme. There isnt a lot of really good deep ball throwers in the game today.

Hell last year out of all the QBs coming out, Johnny was probably the best deep ball thrower, Carr would have been next but they were both kinda crappy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, Shanny's offense was a brilliant combination of both horizontal routes which spread the defense out and vertical routes which stretched them out.

I was amazed by the pure genius of it and wonder how long it will take for other teams to start running the same tree routes.

Of course, we let him get away.

Only the freaking Browns! I am so freaking sick of this team and their dumb decisions. This was all about egos and had nothing to do w/football sense.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/you about Gabriel being impressive. I am not going to say he is going to be special in the future, but man, he was our best all-around WR this past year. Great find by Farmer.

Vers, by no means am I going to state this is a great group of receivers. With that said and assuming Gordon, well, brings value, Browns receives can be talented. I go as far to say if Browns can draft a tall receiver to replace Austin, his early days, they a have structured group.

My point of play is the small game 10-20 yards. Having tall receives and Cameron makes suitable for red-zone.

I get if your argument Gordon is unreliable. I'll buy we need to look at replacing.

What I would do, being Browns FO, get a Joe Jurevicius type. Leadership is missing in the receiver group.

bugs #916360 01/15/15 11:35 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
You know I like---and respect--you bugs. If you don't know that.........I will tell you that I really do.

I disagree w/you. I think they are pretty lame. I think that Shanny's route trees, emphasis on the run game, creativity, and play calling led our WRs success this year.

I don't expect our WRs to be nearly as successful next year unless we trade for someone like Rodgers, Luck, or Wilson.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He used the playaction fake combined with some quick crosses cough cough rubs to get our receivers up field better than anyone i have seen. Something really simple but it was genius. I hate to lose him but he isnt irreplaceable. We have had some damn good coordinators. I mean lets face it we had Bruce Arians, we had Chud, we had Norv, we had Shannahan, FO has been more of an issue than coaching.

Personnel decisions have just been horrid from Policy to Farmer and never building anything sustainable.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That, I will agree with.

But who the hell replaces him? Do any of these guys impress you?

I'm not so impressed. I am just depressed that we lost our best coach in years.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You know I like---and respect--you bugs. If you don't know that.........I will tell you that I really do.

I disagree w/you. I think they are pretty lame. I think that Shanny's route trees, emphasis on the run game, creativity, and play calling led our WRs success this year.

I don't expect our WRs to be nearly as successful next year unless we trade for someone like Rodgers, Luck, or Wilson.

Vers, if I worried about people disagreeing...!!!! I like your school of thought on most football ideas. So, we disagree here...sorry, you're wrong here!!!! LOL!

Seriously, I will disagree here. Yea, Browns don't have the elite receiver. I normally agree looking at bios on Browns receivers. Austin, Hawkins, and Gabriel are guys I would die having on my team. As I stated earlier love having Joe amongst this group. If you need a deep threat, Benjamin can be that guy. I really think Browns are missing a leader at the receiver position.

You had a WCO QB with this team you'd change your mind on this group.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Theres a reason Phillip Rivers had a "career resurgence" after Norv left SD... Once you stop asking OL to block for so long they look a lot better..

NE runs shotgun it seems 95% of the time, but how often is Brady holding the ball an extremely long time?

Quick passing game. Run the ball. Play action opens up the deep throws..

Tom Brady really makes a ton of short throws, and a ton of quick throws. I was, however, shocked at how few he threw behind the LOS.

This year he threw as follows: (distance pass traveled in the air)

Behind the LOS: 67-81 82.7% 331 yards 4.09 yards/attempt 0 TD 0 INT
1-10 yards: 212-306 69.3% 1934 yards 6.32 yards/attempt 18 TD 2 INT
11-20 yards: 74-130 56.9% 1337 yards 10.29 yards/attempt 11 TD 6 INT

21 and over: 12-48 25% 427 yards 8.9 yards/attempt 4 TD 1 INT

Surprisingly, Brady was in the shotgun 387 times, and was in a 1 back set 413 times. (obviously, including runs, and they did run 438 times, but I don't believe that they would just go under Center to run, because that would be a massive tip off to defenses) I was also surprised at how many different guys they used at RB. They had no one over 100 carries, but ran the ball 438 times. That is really bizarre.

It's weird looking at some of the splits. Do the Patriots really almost never use motion? According to Brady's splits, the Pats used motion only 20 times out of 566 pass snaps. That seems really low to me.

Anyway, if people want to look at some of the splits on Brady, they can find them here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/2330/tom-brady

The Pats stats are here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Patriots run the spread in many circumstances. The spread usually has many throws behind the line of scrimmage.

Legend
Legend
The Patriots run the spread in many circumstances. The spread usually has many throws behind the line of scrimmage.

My point was that he doesn't throw many passes behind the LOS last year. (or, at least, he didn't last year) I was shocked at how few passes he threw behind the LOS.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I totally misread your post.

Legend
Legend
I totally misread your post.

I would never do that. rofl

Rookie
Rookie
Any schedule of visits or interviews yet?

Here we go again
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC search..

Link Copied to Clipboard