Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
[quote=bonefish]"dude is a clone of manziel"
=====================================

Except that he bigger at 6"4" and 220lbs and way faster. 4.4 speed versus Manziel at 4.67.

And he played three years of college ball and he takes his job seriously.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/23030...-1-overall-pick
[/quote

we will see bro.

i highly doubt he even falls toward us, and too many teams need QB's that are at the bottom.

but lets say he does fall, like bridgewater, carr, and manziel did.

do we take him? would he be worth it over...say winston?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #917082 01/18/15 03:11 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think there is a better than good chance Mariota falls to us.

Swish #917086 01/18/15 03:17 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd be willing to trade both firsts and next years first to move up and get Mariota but he will go #1 overall and that will never have a chance to happen.

Winston won't last because he will spend half his career suspended.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I'd be willing to trade both firsts and next years first to move up and get Mariota but he will go #1 overall and that will never have a chance to happen.

Winston won't last because he will spend half his career suspended.

suspended based off of....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Then let's get him some weapons. That's our GM's job.

Swish #917105 01/18/15 03:36 PM
Legend
Legend

Both Mariota and Winston will be gone when the Browns pick.

My guess is Winston will go number one. He fits well with Tampa. And he has a pro game style. He reminds me a lot of Big Ben.

Long term I like Mariota better. Because he is a better athlete and has all the intangibles.

If the Titans believe in Mettenberger (and they have had a year to look closely) they may be open to trade out.

Someone will jump to get Mariota. Maybe the Jets maybe the Eagles, who knows maybe the Browns.

It was reported last year that Farmer really liked Mariota.

M
2nd String
2nd String
M
l would take Winston over Mariota and never doubt the decision.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg

And I would start him this year.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
2nd String
2nd String
M
agree

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: MemphisHoundDawg

And I would start him this year.

I would take Mariota of Winston. The last thing we need is another immature young heisman qb, with only 2 yrs college exp, who acts youn,g and not ready to lead a NFL team of Men.

I'm not sold on Mariotta as a rookie starter. I like his potential a lot. Get him a little stronger in the upper body. Give him a year or so to get use to pro style offense and I think he could be a viable NFL qb.

No way I would trade 2 firsts for him but if he fell to us at 12, I'd definitely take him.

Paco #917240 01/18/15 06:41 PM
Legend
Legend
The ONLY thing Mariotta has over Winston is the fact that he's a great kid..

Winston talent wise IMO is on the level, maybe a smidge below, the level of Luck..

He's just a douche and people tend to not want to root for douches...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The ONLY thing Mariotta has over Winston is the fact that he's a great kid..

Winston talent wise IMO is on the level, maybe a smidge below, the level of Luck..

He's just a douche and people tend to not want to root for douches...

yep. thats the only reason ppl like mariota over winston. cause it damn sure isn't because of talent or the system they run.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #917246 01/18/15 06:44 PM
Legend
Legend
I can't tell if yer disagreeing with me sarcastically tongue

I think Mariotta is talented. But he's going to take a lot more time than Winston IMO.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i think winston IS hands down the best qb in the draft.

mariota has talent.

but i want to take the guy who has A) already won the big game. B) is asked to read defenses and C) is a pocket QB who is still mobile.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
But Him being a douche is a big deal imo.

Bad team chemistry and a bad lockerroom will destroy the best of teams.

Swish #917253 01/18/15 06:48 PM
Legend
Legend
If he's there at 12 I take him no doubt and dump JM for whatever I can get...

If he gets passed the Jets then I may consider moving up for him depending on cost..

If you get a QB. Everything else works itself out.

Paco #917255 01/18/15 06:52 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Paco

not really. his off the field issues has had no bearing on him not only LEADING his team to a NC, but also to the first 4 teams in a first ever playoff game in college.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #917256 01/18/15 06:55 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Originally Posted By: Swish

mariota has talent.

but i want to take the guy who has A) already won the big game. B) is asked to read defenses and C) is a pocket QB who is still mobile.

I agree that Winston has the better physical tools as a QB. Im just saying I wouldnt take the chance because of his immaturity and the pampered/elitism reports that have been coming out of FSU.

Mariotta is a safer choice that with a little grooming can be a functional NFL qb.

I actually prefer to not take either and give Manziel this year to prove himself.

We cant keep depleting the overall talent level of the team by drafting a qb in the first rd every year. I want a WR or TE if there is quality available at our picks.

Paco #917258 01/18/15 06:57 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

mariota has talent.

I agree that Winston has the better physical tools as a QB. Im just saying I wouldnt take the chance because of his immaturity and the pampered/elitism reports that have been coming out of FSU.

Mariotta is a safer choice that with a little grooming can be a functional NFL qb.

I actually prefer to not take either and give Manziel this year to prove himself.

We cant keep depleting the overall talent level of the team by drafting a qb in the first rd every year. I want a WR or TE if there is quality available at our picks.

yea i would think we give manziel this year to prove himself. but it would be hard to pass on these guys if by ANY chance they fall to us at 12.

i'm tired of going with safe choices man. we need to be bold.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #917260 01/18/15 07:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would not have Winston on my draft board.

Swish #917270 01/18/15 07:05 PM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P

not really. his off the field issues has had no bearing on him not only LEADING his team to a NC, but also to the first 4 teams in a first ever playoff game in college.

That is college environment for starters. Where partying and being a lil rebelious is normal. His antics will not be tolerated on a team with grown men.

I would not use his playoff game against Oregon as a positive in reference to team leadership. They gave up and quit. Then he had the nerve to say in the press conference Oregon still wasnt a better team. They got beat by 39 SMH

I see Winston having the same problem that RG3 is having with his elitism attitude. But it basically comes down to that I believe that he is a pampered lil knucklehead who has a wealth of talent, who if he is picked by Tampa will have a very short career. Another team with a different city/environment would be better for him.

Paco #917319 01/18/15 07:58 PM
M
2nd String
2nd String
M
Winston's talent level as an NFL QB doesn't compare to Mariota. Winston in my opinion in NFL ready

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

It would depend on his interviews and private workouts.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

It would depend on his interviews and private workouts.

I agree with that. There are a lot of red flags with Winston, and not one of them is an on the field issue. He has a pattern of trouble, and I would want to make sure that he understands that money is only going to bring more trouble if he does not change the way he has been doing things.

He is the most talented QB in this draft, and has the experience to be a capable starter from day 1. I have little question about that. It is all off the field stuff that worries the heck out of me.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Luckily (and unluckily) we won't have to deal with it. He is going to go #1 overall and the Bucaneers will not even consider any trade ups.

Swish #917459 01/19/15 10:56 AM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
No to Winston. Offenseive linemen that can block and defensive linemen and linebackers that can tackle and get to the QB are bigger needs.

The team's foundation is weak.

Swish #917466 01/19/15 11:04 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this is a terrible year to draft a qb. Last year was the year to get it done.

Teddy was available and we passed on him. We will rue that mistake for years and years and years.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think this is a terrible year to draft a qb. Last year was the year to get it done.

Teddy was available and we passed on him. We will rue that mistake for years and years and years.

well there's only two that are worth it.

i already know how you feel with mariota.

but lets say winston.....hypothetically, drops to our 19th pick,....do you pass on him?

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Interviews at the Combine. If it is as important as all claim (NFL teams claim its one of the most important part of the Combine. They should do it where each team hires their expert and do their Q&A hooked up to a lie detector machine. wink

Half joking half serious.

mariota will have to sit a year in the best case scenario. Many just too many variables in his 4 year career has to be reconditioned.

Winston as long as he is willing to work hard. One can only assume the off field stuff has to be corrected with maturity. Football wise he is the only sure thing that can start day one out there with the hope of some success.

Speaking of Tampa, how the heck is Freeman, has he straightened himself out? I thought he was going to be a pretty good QB after his rookie season. He might be a reclamation project that would pay off.

#12 & #19 - I don't want any part of a QB pick there. The FO/Coaches did that last year. They will not do it this year. We might take a QB but I seriously doubt it would be in the first round.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Swish #917479 01/19/15 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont think Mariotta is worth a first round pick and I would not draft winston in the 4th. We have enough headaches.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
No to Winston. Offenseive linemen that can block and defensive linemen and linebackers that can tackle and get to the QB are bigger needs.

The team's foundation is weak.

Wow, we have a top 5 OL with Mack healthy, and we have no proven QB at all ..... but OL is the bigger need? crazy I strongly disagree.

We definitely need pass rushers at the DL and LB spots, but until we have one, we absolutely need a QB. We don't need a superstar QB, but we do need a guy who can deliver an average+ level of play.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish #917495 01/19/15 12:00 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
but lets say winston.....hypothetically, drops to our 19th pick,....do you pass on him?

I think Winston & Mariota will go 1-2 in this year's draft, but if either should somehow slip through to 12, you run your pick up to the podium taking them.

Last edited by Dave; 01/19/15 12:01 PM.
Swish #917499 01/19/15 12:07 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
they wouldn't have to fall to 12.
if either falls to say maybe 8, i see us making a move.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Swish #917509 01/19/15 12:30 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ther are too many teams ahead of us that need a qb. MM and JM will be long gone by the 12th pick. Other qb's may show a lot at the combine and workouts and you may have a shot at them. To be determined.

Legend
Legend

What is a lot more time?

Does anyone actually believe that "if" the Browns got a shot at Winston or Mariota that in the first year the Browns would win a Super Bowl?

The Colts had Peyton. The Broncos have Peyton. Peyton won A Super Bowl. The Colts now have Luck (the best young QB in the NFL). Three years into his career no Super Bowl.

Brees won A Super Bowl. Rodgers won A Super Bowl.

These elite guys give you a chance. Because they are consistent over many years.

Winston and Mariota may give you a chance. But it will be over years of knocking at the door.

So taking Winston because you believe him more NFL ready today is not the reason to take him. If you believe him to be better than Mariota period than so be it.

Myself, I believe that Mariota will be great over a long period of time because he has the skills, the mind, and the work ethic.

Winston is not as good of a all around athlete and there are concerns about him as a person. Concerns that "may" impact his ability to reach his full potential.

My choice would be Mariota. However, I would take Winston if I had a shot at him and Mariota was gone.

Legend
Legend
One would have thought that having Marino was a sure bet you'd get to and win a bunch of Superbowls... How many did Marino play in again?

You are right, having a QB like Manning (either one)Brees or Brady or Rogers gives you a better chance, but it's not the only thing that's needed. Never will be.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think my problem with this thread is that it's "#1 draft need"

Our number 1 need, is, and will always be, a QB..

We do not necessarily have to draft one this year..

I would look to guys who've been in the league a few years that have potential to run a ball control offense, and maybe grow into something more.

Would you rather possibly have to trade up for one of these two, or maybe go hard after a guy like Mallett.. While also still considering a guy in the 4th/5th (Say Petty drops for some reason)

C
Legend
Legend
C
I would not go hard after Mallett. No one knows what he is. I would give him a one year contract.

Legend
Legend
I would not go hard after Mallett. No one knows what he is. I would give him a one year contract.

No one knows what a rookie is.

But you use a draft pick on them and give them a 4 year contract..

C
Legend
Legend
C

No one knows what a rookie is.

But you use a draft pick on them and give them a 4 year contract..

Apples and oranges.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 #1 draft need: QB

Link Copied to Clipboard