Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Legend
Legend
I just want to see a plan put into place, and that plan stuck with..

For once.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
Glad to see you back around DC!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hard to say who like what obviously we are all speculating.

I do think you are correct that Lombardi was and would have been against signing JM. However there was not a Koom Baya effect with Banner and Lombardi at the end. I got the feeling Banner liked the prospects of getting JM and Lombardi did not. Nothing concrete but I read that things were not hunky dory with the two at the end.

jmho I still say we pull this one out of our butt and all will be well!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Glad to see you back around DC!

agreed.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Right. But based on upside alone Mariota would have been the first pick taken.

I am not getting on your case, but you can't prove that. There were many players that were being considered as the first pick.

Teddy, Manziel, Bortles, Clowney, Watkins, Carr, etc.

The NFL scouts don't always see the players the same way as the media and fans do.

We'll see where he goes this year, which is a much, much, much weaker draft.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good to see you back, DC. I hope all is well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Interesting article from SWR (Sports World Report): (McShay's prediction was that we would not draft a QB in the first round)

To acquire one of the two top quarterbacks in the draft, the Browns have to trade up. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer believes the Browns are preparing to trade up for Mariota or Winston instead of hoping one of them drops in the draft or grabbing someone like Brett Hundley instead. The Browns will only move up if they feel they can get one of the two best options, if not McShay's prediction could come true.

One thing the Browns will not be doing is trading Johnny Manziel despite his admission into rehab a week ago. The rookie quarterback has certainly started his NFL career on an interesting note considering he is getting himself in the headlines for everything but good football play. However, there is no trade market for the quarterback and Cleveland is aware. General manager Ray Farmer told the media that the Browns are committed to Manziel's future, but they are uncertain if he is ready to be a starting quarterback. Right now, they are not even sure if he will be ready to play come OTAs and even training camp. Manziel may be staying put, but that does not mean Browns fans will see him on the field any time soon.

One thing is certain, the priority for Cleveland needs to be re-signing Brian Hoyer. The veteran quarterback proved he can win last season, bringing the Browns a small amount of success during 2014, but he is approaching free agency and will not hesitate to walk away from the franchise. Hoyer wants to start and whether Cleveland wants to admit it or not, they are the best team for that to happen. Re-signing Hoyer at least gives the team flexibility at the position.

The Browns are a mess right now and need some stability. Josh Gordon is gone for the year. Jordan Cameron has no intentions of returning. Manziel's future is uncertain. Hoyer can be their first building block to getting back in the right direction while Mariota or Winston could be the future.

Last edited by bbrowns32; 02/06/15 12:27 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
The mess is really quite simple to cut through: we don't need Gordon, Cameron, or Manziel. None of those three contributed significantly in 2014.

Move on from them all if that's how it works out, but find a way to retain Hoyer - ASAP.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Right. But based on upside alone Mariota would have been the first pick taken.

I am not getting on your case, but you can't prove that. There were many players that were being considered as the first pick.

Teddy, Manziel, Bortles, Clowney, Watkins, Carr, etc.

The NFL scouts don't always see the players the same way as the media and fans do.

We'll see where he goes this year, which is a much, much, much weaker draft.

Not only that, Mariota had not been vetted and scrutinized the way he will be this year. A lot of guys look great in that junior/senior year and put up big numbers, then once they declare and scouts really start breaking them down, interviewing them, watching them at the combine... a lot of shift occurs.

At one point in the 2013 CFB season, Bridgewater was the consensus #1 pick, worthy of giving up a years worth of picks to get.. He ended up as the last pick of the first round.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
And thanks to everybody for the well wishes. I assure you that I've been fine, just a combination of the board issues which disrupted things for a while, being very busy at home/work, and being very frustrated with the Browns all served to keep me away for a while...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The mess is really quite simple to cut through: we don't need Gordon, Cameron, or Manziel. None of those three contributed significantly in 2014.

Move on from them all if that's how it works out, but find a way to retain Hoyer - ASAP.

If we resigned Hoyer.

Drafted TE Maxx Williams at either 19 or 2nd round. And grabbed a WR at the other pick.. While also bring in a guy like Maclin (slight overpay)

I think our offense would be "fine" going into next year.. basically I'd just try to go back to what we were doing weeks 1-10.

Especially if the defense can continue to improve on what they were doing towards the end of the season.

It's not all peachy and great, but it's not the end of the world like some people think..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
If the plan was never to use JM in 2014...why move on. I don't get that. You train him up when all has been made as in effort and there is no progress yeah move on. Is that roster spot that important. Or our we all geniuses here so much so we know for sure he will amount to NOTHING?

Sorry sometimes I don't get it I guess.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad to hear you are okay. And I hear you about the other stuff.

Glad you are back.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Apologize for my rants in None football related posts. Afterwards I know nobody really enjoys them...well some do but not Football posters. My Bad.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: eotab
Apologize for my rants in None football related posts. Afterwards I know nobody really enjoys them...well some do but not Football posters. My Bad.

Now, don't let it happen again. rofl

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice article and I agree w/quite a bit of it. The one section I don't agree w/is the One Read QB segment. They showed one play. I remember that play. It was nice. However, in that game, there were numerous times where his initial target wasn't open and Mariotta did not stand in the pocket and read the coverages.

I saw it. I trust my judgement.

Now, the guy might evolve into a guy who can read coverages and go through his progressions, but as of right now.........he doesn't do that on a consistent basis. Heck, he rarely does it. He did have another good read early in the game where he went to his secondary guy, but those are few and far between.

You can't succeed in the NFL if that is the case. I know you are probably going to get mad at my take, but you asked me.....

Legend
Legend
The only thing I ask is, how often did Oregon even give him multiple reads?

I'm not saying he can or can't do it, but if their scheme was mostly one read, dump off, or run it.. then that's really not a negative on him I guess..

V
Legend
Legend
V
There is truth in that statement and it makes sense.

You are an Ohio State fan, right? Did you watch the game? Think about the times his primary receiver wasn't open. He didn't stay still in the pocket or move up in the pocket. He got out of sorts and we forced him into off balance throws or short yardage carries and even got a couple of sacks. He looked discombobulated.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Nice article and I agree w/quite a bit of it. The one section I don't agree w/is the One Read QB segment. They showed one play. I remember that play. It was nice. However, in that game, there were numerous times where his initial target wasn't open and Mariotta did not stand in the pocket and read the coverages.

I saw it. I trust my judgement.

Now, the guy might evolve into a guy who can read coverages and go through his progressions, but as of right now.........he doesn't do that on a consistent basis. Heck, he rarely does it. He did have another good read early in the game where he went to his secondary guy, but those are few and far between.

You can't succeed in the NFL if that is the case. I know you are probably going to get mad at my take, but you asked me.....

See Vers we agree again. I watched a fair amount of Duck football. Mariotta is a nice kid. A nice story. But without a lot of work I don't see an NFL QB. He misses open receivers often partly because he throws to a lot of open receivers. I'm not sure he's got the accuracy to throw into tight windows regularly. The scheme he played in didn't often require it. His percentages were elevated by a lot of bubble screens and throws to receivers vacated by DBs/LBs crashing down on his running threat.
Can he translate his game? Maybe. Personally I want nothing to do with him unless he falls to 12. Which I don't see happening.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think the spread rules college football, with the wider hashmarks, more room for speed players to move..

But it kills QBs overall potential to improve for the NFL. Which while isn't the "purpose" of College Football.. is the purpose of college football..

I don't think another year in Oregon would of done Mariotta any good.. Unless they completely changed their offense..

While I do think he could overall be a solid NFL QB, with time.. I don't think we have that time..

Legend
Legend

You are an Ohio State fan, right? Did you watch the game? Think about the times his primary receiver wasn't open. He didn't stay still in the pocket or move up in the pocket. He got out of sorts and we forced him into off balance throws or short yardage carries and even got a couple of sacks. He looked discombobulated.

it's crazy how Cardale jones did more coverage reading than heisman winning Mariota. i know its about the offensive system but...man.

it makes me wonder if jones was a starter during the same years mariota was, and they both came out, who would had been the better prospect.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Swish

it's crazy how Cardale jones did more coverage reading than heisman winning Mariota. i know its about the offensive system but...man.

it makes me wonder if jones was a starter during the same years mariota was, and they both came out, who would had been the better prospect.

Even now, Cardale Jones is the better prospect and he's going back to Ohio State for another year.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Not mad at all.

I would not have asked if I did not respect your take.

The one point that I would make is when you watch a prospect at the stage of development that he is in; you have to factor in how will he develop from that point.

I coached baseball for over ten years.
http://www.eastcobbbaseball.com/

Seen multiple players make it to the big leagues. Saw them as teenagers.

Will the player advance in skills as more and different aspects are thrown at them?

Mariota is coming from college. No matter that it is Oregon. He will have to learn the pro game; his new offense and NFL defenses. That is the case for all players coming into the NFL.

It becomes not so much what he has done or not done. It becomes what will he be able to do. Will he take to the coaching? Will he apply what he is taught? Will he work to the max?

Mariota succeeded in college. He played at the highest level winning the Heisman. His stats back that up.

He has all the skills required to make it at the next level.

What determines "if" a player develops when the skills are there is simple.

How bad does he want it?

Mariota versus Manziel is not even worth a discussion.

Mariota has demonstrated through his actions his commitment.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day

Even now, Cardale Jones is the better prospect and he's going back to Ohio State for another year.

I will forever love Cardale Jones for what he gave us. However, the only coverage reading he did was "Is the safety double-covering Devin Smith? Yes = dump or run. No = throw it up to him"

It was not a complex system that CJ was running. It was smart, but not complex.

Mariota did have some 2nd/3rd reads in the nat'l champ game (unusual for Oregon, honestly), but they were all WCO-style short throws. I don't think he has the mid-to-long range accuracy to get it in NFL windows at this point. But, hey, you never know and a WCO system could suit him well.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
But without a lot of work I don't see an NFL QB.

The vast majority of the offensive Air craze in college football is a spread version variety. Almost all are in the ONE READ variety.

Weeden, Tannehill, Mallet, RG3, Manziel, Mariota and more. These are all QBs that would be best served learning and being taught a new game without being thrown to the wolves...all those experts and it astonishes me as some pretty well known QBs say it. Its best to have them learn ON THE FIELD. How can they say it especially with all these new Colleges yeah maybe in their experiences where if they had a passing game it was a pro style Air Attack not this new hybrid versions of the Run and Shoot which btw was tried in the NFL and failed, the only QB with success in it was Warren Moon, amazing and he took a beating!

These guys have to break down their OLD HABITS or familiarities call it what you may. FOOTBALL including the QB position is predicated on READS and REACTIONS. Especially somebody like Mariota who spent 4 years in the system. Habits, Familiarities fact is especially when the pressure is applied forcing REACTION if not broken down and then rebuilt the NFL way. That reaction will revert to their old HABITS.

Ergo Weeden good example actually - We would here about camp and practice how he's getting rid of the ball faster and making good pre snap reads...and then maybe the first 15 scripted plays he was true to that. But as the game would go along and the tempo was increased due to pressure more and more his old habits of locking onto one WR and not going through progression would seep in.

I also so it again with Dallas this year. Why I knew it was best for Manziel to sit a year or so. His old way actually should be easier to break down cause it was hardly a way. He took it upon himself to train him for year two to become a better pocket passer not the college coaches they were happy with what they had. I'm sort of glad what transpired last year. I take it as a possible total Breakdown of his Technical play. Now he is humbled and hopefully SERIOUS we can teach him from foundation on up and make him an NFL version of what he can be!

Mariota will take the same method. Now he might have more Maturity than Manziel but there is still a risk that he might or might not make the TRANSITION. If he is thrown to the fire, unless it is the EAGLES, I think he will be doomed/retarded in his growth/could become damaged goods.

There is no denying the kid has TALENT. But there is risk as in the TRANSITION. Luck, Bridgewater and Winston are a short list of those who will not have the difficulties in transition well not as much as Spread offenses with ONE READ System.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required

I will forever love Cardale Jones for what he gave us. However, the only coverage reading he did was "Is the safety double-covering Devin Smith? Yes = dump or run. No = throw it up to him"

It was not a complex system that CJ was running. It was smart, but not complex.

Mariota did have some 2nd/3rd reads in the nat'l champ game (unusual for Oregon, honestly), but they were all WCO-style short throws. I don't think he has the mid-to-long range accuracy to get it in NFL windows at this point. But, hey, you never know and a WCO system could suit him well.

Cardale made some reads in the game and Devin Smith wasn't the only targeted receiver in the game. In fact, Devin Smith had two receptions.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Neither QB in that game was making NFL reads. Both would be overwhelmed if asked to run an NFL offense.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Cardale made some reads in the game and Devin Smith wasn't the only targeted receiver in the game. In fact, Devin Smith had two receptions.

I was talking about his entire 3-game run, but Cardale wasn't asked to go through real progressions. That is okay, it's a college offense, which are not currently setup like NFL offenses (they do not need to be).

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Neither QB in that game was making NFL reads. Both would be overwhelmed if asked to run an NFL offense.

Maybe. I think that Cardale Jones show much more promise especially after such a short time to prepare. He's proven more in his short time than Johnny Manziel ever showed and Mariota had 3 years in the same system and couldn't get the job done.

Then, take in consideration his size, his arm (no, it isn't a rehash of JaMarcus Russell). Jones obviously has more brains than JaMarcus Russell ever had.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: no_logo_required

I was talking about his entire 3-game run, but Cardale wasn't asked to go through real progressions. That is okay, it's a college offense, which are not currently setup like NFL offenses (they do not need to be).

I think you should take another look at the game if you get the opportunity.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
[quote=cfrs15] I think that Cardale Jones show much more promise especially after such a short time to prepare. He's proven more in his short time than Johnny Manziel ever showed and Mariota had 3 years in the same system and couldn't get the job done.

I LOVE Cardale, but I can't go along with the claim he proved more in college than Johnny Manziel. I'm down on Manziel, too. But he was electric in college. I have not forgotten that.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: The Big G
[quote=cfrs15] I think that Cardale Jones show much more promise especially after such a short time to prepare. He's proven more in his short time than Johnny Manziel ever showed and Mariota had 3 years in the same system and couldn't get the job done.

I LOVE Cardale, but I can't go along with the claim he proved more in college than Johnny Manziel. I'm down on Manziel, too. But he was electric in college. I have not forgotten that.

Or Mariota. The sample size for Jones is waaaaaaaaaay too small.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Cardale accomplished in three games something that Manziel couldn't do.

Legend
Legend

It helps when you have a great defense, and more than one good offense skill player..

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

It helps when you have a great defense, and more than one good offense skill player..

Sure it does. That helps at the NFL level too.

C
Legend
Legend
C

So we are crediting Cardale Jones with all Ohio State's success? Braxton Miller or J.T. Barrett couldn't have done that? Did you see Texas A&M play last year without Manziel?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

So we are crediting Cardale Jones with all Ohio State's success? Braxton Miller or J.T. Barrett couldn't have done that? Did you see Texas A&M play last year without Manziel?

Well, Braxton Miller had nothing to do with it. J.T. Barrett did his part but he didn't finish the season, Cardale Jones did.

By your logic, I would turn it around and ask, "Couldn't Cardale Jones have done it from season's start?"

In regards to Johnny Manziel and A&M, did he ever win the college football championship? No? Isn't that the goal?

Legend
Legend

Of course they would, initially.. Almost every QB that comes into the NFL gets overwhelmed until they settle in and get some coaching.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Brett Hundley out of UCLA is a nice prospect who will likely work himself into the first round.

I usually don't get into these draft things...but I have done a little film study to see if there is talent that will not cost the Browns an arm and leg in draft picks to move up.

We need all our draft picks and Hundley could be available to the Browns without moving up.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Haslam: 'We've got to get a quarterback' in 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard