Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
With all this work ahead, DeFilippo is at least sounding like the right man for the job.

yes he does. his enthusiasm is evident and his principles are very sound with the stable of QB's we have. hopefully it can translate to the field.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend

Given Manziel's very public life and the nature of his situation it is hard to figure out where he is at?

I mean what is on going on in his mind? When you try to put yourself in his shoes; it is like go figure.

If you break a bone or for most physical injuries you have a time frame to work with.

For the Browns and Manziel it is total question mark on what to expect.

What is he doing? Does he go and sit in meetings and discuss the evils of life in a bottle? Do the "doctors" work on preparing him for the stress of life in the NFL? Living with all the expectations of a professional athlete? Does he work on his body? Is he working on improving as a quarterback?

Physical rehab is a regime of exercises.

Where is Manziel going to be come OTA's? Camp?

McCown and Manziel alone as the quarterbacks is hardly a confidence booster even if he was not in rehab.

Where is this going to go from here?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Given Manziel's very public life and the nature of his situation it is hard to figure out where he is at?

I mean what is on going on in his mind? When you try to put yourself in his shoes; it is like go figure.

If you break a bone or for most physical injuries you have a time frame to work with.

For the Browns and Manziel it is total question mark on what to expect.

What is he doing? Does he go and sit in meetings and discuss the evils of life in a bottle? Do the "doctors" work on preparing him for the stress of life in the NFL? Living with all the expectations of a professional athlete? Does he work on his body? Is he working on improving as a quarterback?

Physical rehab is a regime of exercises.

Where is Manziel going to be come OTA's? Camp?

McCown and Manziel alone as the quarterbacks is hardly a confidence booster even if he was not in rehab.

Where is this going to go from here?

I'm hoping that by being in rehab, he is getting it all together mentally/physically/spiritually. Right now, He is hidden, he is sheltered and can avoid negative distractions and influences.

Maybe he stays in until right before workouts so he can jump right back into football and not be distracted or tempted....who knows. Maybe Johnny 2.0 is in the making and the Phoenix will rise from the ashes!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't compare JFF with the Phoenix yet, but he has to be a better quarterback that we saw last year right? right? right???
Seriously, I do hope this situation will turn Johnny's life around in a positive way. Pulling for him to recover 100% and hopefully it will "spark" his pro football career.

Legend
Legend
I agree he has to be obsessed with football to be able to be a good NFL starting QB.

If he doesn't quit drinking & partying, that's it for him in a starting role - but - given the dire selection of QBs available, he might be able to stick around for a few years as a backup or third stringer.

It's all up to him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
I agree he has to be obsessed with football to be able to be a good NFL starting QB.

If he doesn't quit drinking & partying, that's it for him in a starting role - but - given the dire selection of QBs available, he might be able to stick around for a few years as a backup or third stringer.

It's all up to him.

JMO, but I think it's a "time to grow up and take this seriously or go work at McDonald's" year for Manziel. We are tired of the various excuses, tired of all the off field attention he brings to this place who has plenty of that and the list continues.

Put up or shut up time and if he can't get it right, I doubt we or any team would even care to try him out for a 2nd or 3rd string Qb. JMO

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

It's all up to him.

No way that Farmer and company didn't know that with JM comes a ton of press. Maybe the wanted it, maybe they didn't, but they had to be idiots if they didn't know it was coming.

And I agree, he's time for him to take this seriously.

JMO, but I think it's a "time to grow up and take this seriously or go work at McDonald's" year for Manziel. We are tired of the various excuses, tired of all the off field attention he brings to this place who has plenty of that and the list continues.

Put up or shut up time and if he can't get it right, I doubt we or any team would even care to try him out for a 2nd or 3rd string Qb. JMO

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Johnny Manziel continues treatment

BEREA, Ohio -- Johnny Manziel is still in a treatment facility nearly five weeks since announcing he was seeking the help he needed, Browns coach Mike Pettine said Monday from the Cleveland Auto Show.

On Feb. 3, family adviser Brad Beckworth announced Manziel had entered a facility on Jan. 28 to "improve in order to be a better family member, friend and teammate."

In two days, Manziel is scheduled to hit the six-week mark.

The Browns are encouraged by Manziel's offseason and believe he can improve as a passer behind the coaching of offensive coordinator John DeFilippo and quarterbacks coach Kevin O'Connell. But football is an "afterthought" with Manziel right now, Pettine said.

"We're giving him his privacy and let him do what he has to do," Pettine said. "It was something he was very resolute needed to get done."

Pettine said there was no set end date for Manziel's release, making his availability for offseason workouts uncertain.

In an earlier interview Monday with ESPN Cleveland 850, Pettine said it's "too soon" to know if Manziel will be ready for voluntary offseason workouts next month.

Manziel struggled in seven quarters of play as a rookie, completing 51.4 percent of his passes for 175 yards and two interceptions.

The Browns last month signed 12-year veteran Josh McCown to a three-year, $14 million deal with $6.25 million guaranteed -- slightly higher than typical backup money.

The Browns "absolutely" expect McCown to make them better on the field in 2015, Pettine said.

McCown went 1-10 as Tampa Bay's starter last season but threw for 13 touchdowns and one interception the year before with Chicago.

"If you talk to anybody that's been with him, they just rave about the character, the football aptitude, how he makes people around him better, just being an example, professionalism, maturity," Pettine said. "That's not why we brought him here. If we wanted a mentor, that's what you bring a coach in for. For me, the guy can still play. When the circumstances are right, he's shown he can play at a high level."

The Browns are leaving the option open to add a quarterback to the roster, possibly through the NFL draft in late April.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good for him. Relapse doesn't have to be part of recovery, let's hope he is getting what he needs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
McCown went 1-10 as Tampa Bay's starter last season but threw for 13 touchdowns and one interception the year before with Chicago.

"If you talk to anybody that's been with him, they just rave about the character, the football aptitude, how he makes people around him better, just being an example, professionalism, maturity," Pettine said. "That's not why we brought him here. If we wanted a mentor, that's what you bring a coach in for. For me, the guy can still play. When the circumstances are right, he's shown he can play at a high level."

Pettine is doing his best, trying to put a good spin on the Browns QB situation.

But honestly, Browns fans have heard it "all", when it comes to spreading manure to justify our front office's failures.

McCown is not the answer and fans need to face reality...2015 is shaping up to be another wasted season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've tried to address this with you twice, but so far no reply back.

Are you stating that they are done at the QB position?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't think the fans, or this staff, has labeled Josh 'the answer'. If he was, he'd have gotten better than somewhat above backup money.

There was no free agent "answer". Most people don't even think the draft has any answers. It's not a great year for Qb needy teams, which we are always in that pot!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I get the sense from some on here that the signing of McCown means we are done looking at the position. I do not see that at all.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
All the options suck.

So regardless of what they would of done, people would of complained.

Had we done nothing, people would complained..

Had we traded for Aaron Rodgers, SOMEONE WOULD COMPLAIN..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Well yea, even more of those discount double check commercials on local tv, ugh ....the horrors!!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Good for him. Relapse doesn't have to be part of recovery, let's hope he is getting what he needs.

No it doesn't have to be but it usually does. I'm going on 21yrs sober, I've sponsored dozens over the years, I'm obviously very open about my experience and many have been very open with me. I wouldn't write him off and I think it's commendable that we're keeping him on the roster and helping him whilst staying out of his face but as soon as I heard he was entering treatment my opnions of him being out QB went from slim to none. 22 year olds with tons of money, girls, hangers-on and tons of pressure, attention and scrutiny in a very difficult job just don't lift off into the football heavens with nary a hiccup. Hiccups for him are going to be catastrophic and televised in surround sound. I'm willing to wager great odds that as strong as he may be and as noble his intentions this will not stay neatly in the rear-view. I don't mean to be so cynical but I liken this to a bad concussion issue. It WILL come back up again. It will most likely be at the root of his finish either sooner or later. I've known a very small precious few in high positions who managed to not compromise greatly to get over this hurdle. It just almost never happens. Jmho

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
2015 is shaping up to be another wasted season.

What's new?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Pit...I'm dealing with "real time" information..not fantasy stuff.

As of today, the Browns QB situation looks like this...

Our front office signed Josh McCown as our starting qb. McCown went 1-10 as a starter last season...BUT, he has such a pleasing personality...

Manziel, still in rehab...don't expect miracles!

Connor Shaw, better than Manziel by a little bit, based on 2014 performance.

This is what Pettine, Farmer and Haslam are attempting to sell to the fans..look what we did..we signed Josh McCown.

Pit, you can "pretend" that there are more QB moves on the horizon, but until they happen, I'm not going pretend that all is well in Cleveland, pertaining to the QB position.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Problem is, I haven't seen anyone in the FO or coaching staff name McCown the starter and his contract isn't in line with starter money. So I don't buy into that premise.

Also I didn't say anything about a fantasy. It's early March. Today is the first day of FA and we haven't had the draft. So I view it as an incomplete picture to make such bold comments about.

From my perspective, it's like complaining about the bread being baked when it was just put into the oven. Nobody knows what the outcome will be at all yet people are complaining about how the bread tastes.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

No it doesn't have to be but it usually does. I'm going on 21yrs sober, I've sponsored dozens over the years, I'm obviously very open about my experience and many have been very open with me. I wouldn't write him off and I think it's commendable that we're keeping him on the roster and helping him whilst staying out of his face but as soon as I heard he was entering treatment my opnions of him being out QB went from slim to none. 22 year olds with tons of money, girls, hangers-on and tons of pressure, attention and scrutiny in a very difficult job just don't lift off into the football heavens with nary a hiccup. Hiccups for him are going to be catastrophic and televised in surround sound. I'm willing to wager great odds that as strong as he may be and as noble his intentions this will not stay neatly in the rear-view. I don't mean to be so cynical but I liken this to a bad concussion issue. It WILL come back up again. It will most likely be at the root of his finish either sooner or later. I've known a very small precious few in high positions who managed to not compromise greatly to get over this hurdle. It just almost never happens. Jmho

Too true. I a couple of years away from my third attempt to get sober when you got sober and it took me yet one more try to finally stay there... only 8 1/2 years here. At the same time, all it takes is for him to have that one little epiphany and to want it more than he wants to get high.

I agree completely though, the odds are definitely stacked against it.... it's hard to really feel the cost of your addiction when everything in life comes so cheaply and easily.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C

Maybe Hartline's brother Mike is coming with him to play with QB. Never know.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Problem is, I haven't seen anyone in the FO or coaching staff name McCown the starter and his contract isn't in line with starter money. So I don't buy into that premise.

Also I didn't say anything about a fantasy. It's early March. Today is the first day of FA and we haven't had the draft. So I view it as an incomplete picture to make such bold comments about.

From my perspective, it's like complaining about the bread being baked when it was just put into the oven. Nobody knows what the outcome will be at all yet people are complaining about how the bread tastes.

PIT...stop playing games !

Based on the QBs on the Browns roster today, Shaw and Manziel are not better than McCown...damn, that hurts like hell just to say that.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds to me like your agreeing...THIS IS A WASTED YEAR FOR THE BROWNS...as we attempt to find a QB.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

PIT...stop playing games !

Based on the QBs on the Browns roster today, Shaw and Manziel are not better than McCown...damn, that hurts like hell just to say that.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds to me like your agreeing...THIS IS A WASTED YEAR FOR THE BROWNS...as we attempt to find a QB.

GEEZ MAC, that's Pits point. for cryin out loud, nobody is playing games with you.

What he's saying is, NOBODY says the browns are done adding QB's.

The VERY reason is what your saying, we don't have much today. we need to add someone or several someones.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Well yea, even more of those discount double check commercials on local tv, ugh ....the horrors!!!!

"you'll 'tank' us later"

Lol!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

Too true. I a couple of years away from my third attempt to get sober when you got sober and it took me yet one more try to finally stay there... only 8 1/2 years here. At the same time, all it takes is for him to have that one little epiphany and to want it more than he wants to get high.

I agree completely though, the odds are definitely stacked against it.... it's hard to really feel the cost of your addiction when everything in life comes so cheaply and easily.

I can't really argue with either of ya cause money and (relations with the other sex) usually cause a ton of grief. He doesn't have these problems.

I do have to wonder though about his pride and self-esteem. This kid has been all that since he was a freshman in college. And now? He flat out sucked for the only full game he played.

I would guess that it was a terrible blow to both of those. Now you're looking like a huge bust. Wonder if some of his 'friends' weren't available all of the sudden. One look in the mirror is all it takes.

If this kid actually gets clean, then he has a chance to become a nfl qb. Can he stay sober? As long as he continues to connect the dots.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
daman...and I'm not going to get into the game of speculating that this front office is capable of convincing any of the top QB prospects to come to Cleveland.

I'm dealing with what we have today...and based on some of Pettine's comments, he is fine rolling with McCown as our starting QB.

After the best QB prospects are gone, it's pretty easy for any front office to sign "second tier" talent.

Bottom line, this looks to be a wasted year because the Browns don't know if they have "the QB of the future" on this roster.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No Mac, what I'm saying is we have no idea of how the QB position will look as of yet going into this season.

I'm not saying that in the end you "may" not be right. But we are far from knowing if that is true as of today.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Pit...the difference is...I'm dealing with what we now have on our roster.

You prefer to "speculate", pretending that some savior will materialize and suddenly improve our QB situation...

Just for the hell of it..who do you see as that guy who is going become the QB of the future for the Browns?

P
Legend
Legend
P
We didn't have one and I don't see one. I think it's a poor year to address the QB position and that includes the guy we didn't re-sign.

I would like to have seen us get Foles somehow but I think that ship has sailed. So what would you like to have done?

I mean it's easy to point the finger at the FO but what do you think they could have done to help the QB position? Are you one of those that felt Hoyer was the answer?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

If WINNING NOW is the goal of this franchise, which QB option gave the Browns the best chance to WIN NOW?

McCown sure doesn't fill that need and no amount of cheerleading is going to change the facts...McCown's 35 yrs old and he's not getting better.

I believe Hoyer gave the Browns the best chance to win now.

My second pick to fill that need was Nick Foles..and our front office wasn't even in the picture.

There are no rookies that have the ability to win now...any rookie will need time to develop and so will our 2nd year guys, need time to develop...therefore, it would be a wasted year for the Browns as they try to develop a QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hoyer is a backup NFL QB, you can dress it up any way you want but in the end he is a backup and so is McKown, so lets pray Johnny gets his act together and becomes the starting QB we drafted him to be ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Hoyer is a backup NFL QB, you can dress it up any way you want but in the end he is a backup and so is McKown, so lets pray Johnny gets his act together and becomes the starting QB we drafted him to be ...

marc...obviously, I disagree with you and so do the Texans.

Hoyer was the best option for the Browns IF the goal of the franchise is to win now.

But 2015 is looking like another wasted year...nothing more than an OJT season for QBs...to find out if the Browns already have their QB of the future or if the Browns have to go back to the drawing board and draft another QB in the 2016 draft.

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Is it official he's a Texan?
2. He has to beat out Mallet - didn't he already lose out to him in a competition? Wasn't the OC on that competition the same guy who is the HC now making the same decision.

3. If we are going all out with Manziel so be it.
Some weird stuff going on out there though.

Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we really did go after Bradford, that tells us what the team is thinking about Manziel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Pettine said. "It was something he was very resolute needed to get done."

What the hell does that even mean? I like Pet, but man, I wish he would go back to reading Dr. Seuss or something similar and learn how to formulate a sentence.

Five weeks for Manziel. I wonder if people are still wondering why I called him Johnny Drunk? I hope he really does beat this thing, but man, it's such a risky proposition. Quitting smoking is NOTHING compared to quitting drinking.

God bless, Johnny.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If we really did go after Bradford, that tells us what the team is thinking about Manziel.

We may not have gotten too far had we pursued Bradford...

LA - theOBR
@LaneAdkins
That deal had been in works RT @dave_hammill: @LaneAdkins Any truth to the stories that the Browns pursued Bradford today ??

Tweet 1

D
Legend
Legend
D

And....... can you fault them for that mindset given what Johnny is and became? I don't think any staff would go into the season hoping JF can help us in any positive manner. Let alone a staff that needs a stable Qb in beyond the worst of ways.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:
Quitting smoking is NOTHING compared to quitting drinking.

Actually quitting smoking is much harder than quitting drinking....but carry on.

Don't really get why you would name call someone with a problem.

The fact of the matter is that Manziel did absolutely nothing to deserve being the starter this year. He let everyone down. That i do understand.

Now he may or may not every become a great NFL qb, but his chances sure got a hell of a lot better if he is trying to better himself and sober up.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

And....... can you fault them for that mindset given what Johnny is and became? I don't think any staff would go into the season hoping JF can help us in any positive manner. Let alone a staff that needs a stable Qb in beyond the worst of ways.

I don't fault them at all. I have been saying the same thing all off-season.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: BrownieElf
Quote:
Quitting smoking is NOTHING compared to quitting drinking.

Actually quitting smoking is much harder than quitting drinking....but carry on.

Don't really get why you would name call someone with a problem.

The fact of the matter is that Manziel did absolutely nothing to deserve being the starter this year. He let everyone down. That i do understand.

Now he may or may not every become a great NFL qb, but his chances sure got a hell of a lot better if he is trying to better himself and sober up.

Name call? Where?

And sorry man, but I have tried both. It ain't close.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel..continued..

Link Copied to Clipboard