Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I can't see anyway we place JM on the practice squad unless we are done with him, and then why would we keep him? If we don't want him, then we try and trade him, if no takers, then release him. I just don't see it.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Heart and no talent doesn't get many very far.

Yup, that's why I said it's too bad he lacks the skills.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
If Manziel were placed on the PS he would be signed elsewhere immediately and we would get nothing.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
I can't see anyway we place JM on the practice squad unless we are done with him, and then why would we keep him? If we don't want him, then we try and trade him, if no takers, then release him. I just don't see it.

I get it, but technically speaking, could they place him on the PS? If so, why? I thought anyone with a NFL start is no longer eligible for PS, I'm wrong and would like to know the details.

Edit, if anyone else is also curious:

Quote:
A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times
However, the NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to expand NFL Practice Squads for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Absent an extension of the agreement, the current rules will be reinstated beginning with the 2016 season.

Under the agreement, 2014 and 2015 Practice Squads will increase from the current maximum of eight players to 10 players.

In addition, the criteria for Practice Squad eligibility has been expanded in two respects.

First, a player must have a minimum of six games - up from the current three games - on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player's three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 04/06/15 12:38 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The way I read this, JF would NOT fit on a practice squad

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
E
Legend
Legend
E
Poor Joe Thomas didn't get the memo I guess.

So what now King getting his info from Mortenson who gets it from his son who gets it from our FIRED QB Coach Loggains?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
With his physical limitations, I don't know see how anyone can think Shaw is a anything more than a third QB.

I remember hearing the same thing about Brian Sipe ... tsktsk

That is the aberration, not the rule.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
If Manziel were placed on the PS he would be signed elsewhere immediately and we would get nothing.

He wouldn't even make it through waivers.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: eotab

So what now King getting his info from Mortenson who gets it from his son who gets it from our FIRED QB Coach Loggains?

Do you have a link for that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
epsn played the comments earlier this eve and it was not nearly as negative as the articles made it out to be.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
He basically said 'I don't respect Josh or Johnny. They don't take football seriously. I hope they get it together'.

I'd call that harsh. Tone doesn't really change the words.

I'm glad Joe is fed up with losing and comfortable with his role as a leader to be more vocal in the last few months. I hope he continues to do so.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
mourg...what comments you talking about...the March 13 story?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/126270...teammates-trust

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel, who is undergoing voluntary rehab treatment, will have to prove to his teammates that he's dedicated to winning, offensive tackle Joe Thomas said Monday.
Manziel's Starter QBR Was Terrible

Johnny Manziel had a 1.8 Total QBR in his two starts last season, losing both games. Since 2006, that's the worst Total QBR by a rookie quarterback in his first two career starts.
QBR
Johnny Manziel 1.8 2014
Jay Cutler 3.1 2006
Max Hall 3.9 2010
Tarvaris Jackson 4.1 2006
-- ESPN Stats & Information

"I think he's going to have to prove to the team that football is important and being 'the man,' being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is important, it is his goal, his single goal in his life," Thomas told ESPNCleveland.com.

"You know, I think he lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter. And I think he had a lot of time to reflect, I'm guessing, after the season was over by the comments he made in the media and by his actions, checking himself into rehab. ... I think those were really positive steps."

Manziel voluntarily entered treatment Jan. 28 as a direct result of his lifestyle away from the field, and he informed people in his circle before entering treatment that he wants to "figure out his value system," a source told ESPN.com.
Editor's Picks

McManamon: Thomas speaks truth on Manziel

Joe Thomas spoke the truth about Johnny Manziel, who needs to win back the trust of his teammates upon completion of his rehab, Pat McManamon writes.

He's expected to attend the Browns' offseason workouts, which begin April 20. Manziel, who took an Easter weekend trip with his family, is allowed to make occasional trips as part of his rehab program.

"I'm hoping when we come back in April, we see a new Johnny and everybody's blown away with his commitment," Thomas told ESPNCleveland.com. "And I think he's got the talent, so it's just a matter of if he commits himself to it, we can have a really good quarterback on our hands."

However, Thomas, an eight-time Pro Bowl tackle, said the Browns have taken the right steps this offseason by signing free-agent QB Josh McCown.

"Obviously there's some uncertainty with Johnny right now and that's why we brought in Josh," Thomas said. "He's a guy that if he's asked to carry the flag this year, he's going to do a great job. There's a chance we draft somebody or there's a chance Johnny comes back and he's a new person and he's rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round."

Manziel, selected by the Browns with the 22nd overall pick in the 2014 draft, completed 18 of 35 passes for 175 yards in seven quarters of NFL play before injuring his hamstring in Week 16.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Manziel is all over NFL Network now with Manziel and Thomas's comments. If it wasn't being displayed by the announcers via a skit - it's gone by the ticker thing at the bottom at least 300 million times.

They even showed that play where he kept backing up and couldn't get the ball out and then got pushed and seemed like he was just going to take a nap lol. I almost had totally forgotten about it. This play:

Legend
Legend
Someone needs to give Betty White, laying there, a Snickers.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/C ...... Manziel should be at the bottom of the depth chart for now. He was awful last year, was lazy, and did not prepare.

3rd is no surprise, and there is no one who should be shocked that this is where the Browns see him.

He needs to prove himself to the coaches and to his teammates. He does not have an easy road to travel .... but if he does throw himself 100% into being the best he can be, he can win his teammates and coaches back to him.

It isn't going to happen overnight though, and I really don't see him opening the season as the starting QB under any circumstances. He is going to have to prove himself, and when he gets an opportunity, he will have to take advantage of it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
rofl

Dittos... rofl

E
Legend
Legend
E

thumbsdown really? do that crap with the kiddy crew.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Not sure, but I might be okay with that approach. Right now he is a camp arm.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Whether you BELIEVE in Manziel or not I think the most logical thing for the front office to do is to just keep him on the roster and bring him to OTA's and training camp. Let the kid compete to be the backup or even the starter. If he still isn't showing improvement, you just move him down the depth chart or even release him if his performance is bad enough.

I understand it's tough to judge a rookie on 6-quarters of football, and we need to give our 1st round pick an entire season to play and grow, but nothing about last year makes me think he should have the starting job simply handed to him. That's a massive gamble. I see absolutely no harm in letting him COMPETE for the starting job with McCown and whichever rookie QB we draft. (I would be shocked if we don't draft a mid-round QB).

The best thing to do, is to move on as if Johnny Manziel isn't in the 2015 season plans, and if he comes to camp and surprises everyone, great. If not, well no big deal, just cut him and move on.

Just my two cents.

I'm rooting for him to clean up his life, but the way he crapped the bed last season and virtually spat in the faces of the city, fans and teammates by not working hard or giving a damn about his preparation really makes me think that as of now he doesn't deserve to be a Cleveland Brown...

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Refs I figured this would be the place you would want this. If not I apologize

http://www.dawgpoundnation.com/2015/04/0...ny-manziel-and/

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
slick...nice find.

BUT, no way should the Browns give up a 1st round draft Manziel...and another 1st round draft pick...to sign a QB made of glass with this sort of attitude about being in Cleveland...from the posted info..

"The other thing is that Bradford has said that he is not willing to sign an extension with the Browns. Why on earth would the Browns give up major assests with no guarentee that Bradford would do an extension with them? It seems incredibly unrealistic."

If Bradford is dealt under these conditions, the Browns would the biggest fools in history.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: mac
slick...nice find.

BUT, no way should the Browns give up a 1st round draft Manziel...and another 1st round draft pick...to sign a QB made of glass with this sort of attitude about being in Cleveland...from the posted info..

"The other thing is that Bradford has said that he is not willing to sign an extension with the Browns. Why on earth would the Browns give up major assests with no guarentee that Bradford would do an extension with them? It seems incredibly unrealistic."

If Bradford is dealt under these conditions, the Browns would the biggest fools in history.

Mac I couldn't agree more. This would be a bone head play. If we were going to give up something like our 3 rd 4th and 5th round picks then maybe. But I'f we give up first round picks for a guy who can't stay healthy and doesn't want to be here then I would seriously question if perhaps Haslam is forcing farmer to do these things because I cant see farmer being that dumb

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
You are right Swish,, That would be bone headed to give up Manziel and a 1st and other picks for Bradford who will mostly likely end the season on the IR.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
You are right Swish,, That would be bone headed to give up Manziel and a 1st and other picks for Bradford who will mostly likely end the season on the IR.

Very bone headed! Type of move that, for me, would cause maybe a full collapse of trust in the front office. It'd be difficult to recover if that news comes true.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
that one thing is something that would lose trust? hehe. i dont trust this team with 2 first round pics again.

Last edited by lionchamp29; 04/07/15 01:10 PM.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Not sure I follow? Did you make that up or is it a fact?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: slick

On so many levels, I just hope this is not true..... And if it is true, that we don't do it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bigf00t
Originally Posted By: slick

On so many levels, I just hope this is not true..... And if it is true, that we don't do it.

I worry about Bradford's health ..... and would be very worried if we were to trade for him ..... but he would be the best QB we have had since 1999. (except for one year of Anderson) Playing in an offense that limits his exposure, and gives him rock solid protection behind an excellent OL (and with an excellent defense) could be a situation in which he could thrive.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E

Not sure I follow? Did you make that up or is it a fact?

Just joking around...the thing about Mortenson actually was in print - I'm not going to search and bring it up cause now a days its a tweet a twat who knows...I do know I read it - it was supporting why Mortenson's tweet, article had validity by a blogger explaining that Loggains was a QB somewhere as a Senior and took Mortenson a Freshman under his wing...and then when Mortenson was briefly signed by an NFL team it was Loggains that was the QB Coach...and supposedly the two have remained friends...no link just remember reading this. That part was true...

The premise that King got his info from Mortenson was sort of tongue in cheek cause of how rumors come from people who said from people who said.

You got to relax a little there Vers...not everything people post is attacking you - just relax laugh at posts that are even attacking you if they got some football in it...go and argue with football. Take the edge off a bit big guy. Enjoy the board. You are at your best talking football.

jmho and a friend speaking to you not an adversary.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Although Bradford's injury history worries some, it doesn't worry me. It seems no matter who we get to be our QB year-in and year-out ends up on the IR at some point in the season anyways. We might as well have a decent QB who is sure to get hurt instead of a mediocre QB who is sure to get hurt.

The fact that he wouldn't resign with us, however... thumbsdown

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rorschach72
Although Bradford's injury history worries some, it doesn't worry me. It seems no matter who we get to be our QB year-in and year-out ends up on the IR at some point in the season anyways. We might as well have a decent QB who is sure to get hurt instead of a mediocre QB who is sure to get hurt.

The fact that he wouldn't resign with us, however... thumbsdown

You kinda have a good point I'm sorry to say.

As for him not signing with us, from what I've read, it's all about the money. I wouldn't want to pay him big money either. So I'm thinking the Browns are being smart here.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C

Johnny Manziel making hospital visits

I don't know if all this will add up to Manziel being a better football player, but it is very good to see any person get their life back on track.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To be honest that may have been the first report i have ever seen of him doing anything unselfish.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Finally, a decent to even positive article/fact/ordeal for Manziel!

I'll say it cause most here know I don't like/approve of the kid, but *hopefully* this is the beginning of an endless series of positive events and etc that Manziel is starting to generate.

However, it's all still a wait game.

Legend
Legend
Just a standard pre-arranged P.R. gig.... let me know when he's doing all the right things without any cameras around and no publicist saying "Hey, look what we've arranged for Johnny to do today so that he looks like a great guy".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Just a standard pre-arranged P.R. gig.... let me know when he's doing all the right things without any cameras around and no publicist saying "Hey, look what we've arranged for Johnny to do today so that he looks like a great guy".

Not a PR gig, its part of his REHAB to make the visits per ESPN Cleveland WKNR

Legend
Legend

The selection of Johnny Manziel in the first round last year has hamstrung the Cleveland Browns.

No matter what direction the Browns take the repercussions of that decision linger.

Manziel was offered in trade to the Eagles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/24237...ota-not-manziel

Eagles not interested.

His value in trade more than likely would not be worth seventh rounder.

The Browns were forced to bring in McCown (cut by the Bucs) and payed $14 mil by the Browns and Thad Lewis (cut by the Bills and then the Texans).

What a lineup: McCown, Lewis, Manziel, and Shaw.

Joe Thomas made it clear. Manziel has lost the respect and trust of the team.

Alex Mack may opt out after next year according to his best friend JT. Why? Because players like Mack and Thomas are professionals. It offends them that guys like Manziel are not.

The fault does not lie with Manziel though. He has become what was suspected. Farmer/Haslam and whoever else was involved just blew it.

I hope Manziel gets it together. I hope at some point he can contribute to the team. The Browns invested heavily in him and to this point he has made no contributions to the team.

In the meantime the Browns are hosed. They have the worst quarterback roster in the NFL. Their starters are barely good enough to be backups.

The Browns go into another draft with no solution at quarterback. They would have to give up a bunch to trade up for a quarterback and even then that may not be enough.

So this year is toast. Next year they will be in the same position. And unless they have the worst record in football their ability to land a quarterback to lead the team is far from guaranteed.

So the decision to draft Manziel is not only a miss but it burns the team for years.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I disagree... in the past days... it would hamstring a team for years...money wise... now it doesn't as much....

What if we only had one draft pick last year, what if we had two but used it on another position instead of QB...(lets leave Carr and Bridgewater out of this conversation for a moment), that would not have hamstrung a team "for years" to extrapolate a bad pick ( even a first rounder) into years of failure is not necessarily true.

Now you still have to find the QB regardless of why you don't have one, but the implication In this article is since they have JM that prohibits them from finding another QB... there is no cause and effect relationship, you need to find a QB regardless of who is on the roster and one person one the roster does not keep you from doing that.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel..continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard