Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think your thinking was innovative and fairly logical. I enjoyed reading your take and contemplating what you said. I love posts like that because they make you think.

I don't think your thinking is flawed, but my bottom line on that is that Bradford has reportedly said he would not sign a contract extension w/the Browns.

I think that nixes that deal. Does that makes sense?

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I am not sure where the NFL stands on motorized wheel chairs.

I wouldn't advise standing on a wheel chair, motorized or otherwise. {Did that rhyme??}

Anyway, just say no to Bradford. Even when healthy, I don't remember him winning any Super Bowls with the Lambs.

Just take whatever college QB is available to us with 19th pick, after taking a good offensive lineman with the 12th pick.

Even a floundering rookie QB will be better than Bradford on IR or Manziel out of rehab.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Low probability, I hope he's right on either of them.

Quote:
Rushing him in could retard, if not ruin, his pro potential, some analysts say.

Poor choice of wording there Tony! thumbsdown

What's wrong with his choice of words?? Just keep the accent on the ultima, not the penultimate syllable.

Anyway, I've got fire retardents all over the house, in little red cans with spray nozzles.

George Carlin only knew of seven words he wasn't allowed to say on TV. Crap, now there are thousands. I'm tired of people telling other people what words they can and can't use.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks Vers,

I tried taking my own feelings out of it and just approach it from the point of view of how the team might maximize its assets in this draft.

My own reservations about Bradford are his durability and his sign-ability. I think he has the arm talent and the other skills of a competent NFL QB.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did Chip Kelly push Browns toward Marcus Mariota?
Phil Sheridan, ESPN Philadelphia Eagles reporter

PHILADELPHIA – The Marcus Mariota saga could take a pretty ironic twist, one that would leave Philadelphia Eagles fans wondering “what if” for a long time.

Connect the dots. The Cleveland Browns talked with the St. Louis Rams about trading for quarterback Sam Bradford. The Browns were offering draft picks. The Rams preferred to get another quarterback in the deal. The Eagles, who initially didn’t want to trade Nick Foles, finally gave in and swapped Foles plus draft picks for Bradford.

After that deal was completed, Chip Kelly got a call. He was offered a first-round pick for Bradford, the quarterback he just acquired. Kelly wouldn’t confirm that the offer came from Cleveland, but it seems pretty obvious. The Browns tried to get Bradford for a first-round pick. When Bradford was suddenly the property of another team, they simply called and made the same offer.

The Eagles said no to that offer. So now, a month later, comes word (from ProFootallTalk.com) that the Browns are looking to package their two first-round picks in a trade to move up in the draft. Their target: Oregon quarterback Mariota.

That means the Eagles could have pre-empted the Browns’ interest in Mariota by sending them Bradford. That would have given the Eagles two first-round picks and put them in the position the Browns are in now. Two first-round picks would be an attractive starting point for enticing the Tennessee Titans to part with the second pick in the draft.

It is possible that Kelly has Bradford rated higher as an NFL prospect than Mariota. That is not information that Kelly would part with voluntarily, and he just might spin it depending on the situation. If he goes into the season with Bradford as his No. 1 quarterback then Kelly has plenty of incentive to say Bradford is his highest-rated player.

Clearly, the Browns saw Bradford as the more attractive possibility. They tried repeatedly, and aggressively, to land the former No. 1 overall draft choice. The Eagles were in position to make that happen, removing the Browns from the Mariota chase and giving themselves a leg up.

This whole thing has certainly been interesting. With three weeks until the draft, expect the plot to keep getting thicker.

Linky Thing

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Lot's of speculating.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Clearly, the Browns saw Bradford as the more attractive possibility. They tried repeatedly, and aggressively, to land the former No. 1 overall draft choice. The Eagles were in position to make that happen, removing the Browns from the Mariota chase and giving themselves a leg up.

My thoughts on giving up a 1st round pick for Bradford to help Kelly move up to take Mariota...

..why should we help the Eagles...why not help ourselves by using the picks to get Mariota makes more sense to me than going after Bradford, who said he won't sign an extension if he is dealt to the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Getting Bradford is not to HELP the Eagles - Getting Bradford might help the Eagles get Mariota if that was their goal. THEIR GOAL "IF".

2. The premise of the story is that Kelly has no intention of wanting Mariota over Bradford.

But still as you said 17 more days and we will know what is cooking with all!

But we all forget - just maybe, Bradford is that good.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
EO, there is a lot of film out there to show Bradford isn't THAT good. Or perhaps more accurately, hasn't BEEN that good up to this point. I loved Bradford coming out, and I thought he had a solid rookie season. But since the Rams started rotating OC's in and out every year, and Bradford started showing he's a bit injury prone.... I'd be very hesitant to bet the farm on him.

IF and that's a BIG if... IF we are planing on moving up to take one of the two top QB's(PLEASE don't let it be the sexual predator)packaging Johnny with one of the picks would be my choice if it's possible. If it takes both picks to move up, and Mariota is a REAL franchise QB, then that's fine. We absolutely MUST get a QB. At the moment the cupboard is bare. But it sure would be sweet to use Johnny and keep a pick we could use for a productive player.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

My thoughts on giving up a 1st round pick for Bradford to help Kelly move up to take Mariota...

..why should we help the Eagles...why not help ourselves by using the picks to get Mariota makes more sense to me than going after Bradford, who said he won't sign an extension if he is dealt to the Browns.

Any move we make, or try to make, it to help ourselves. A trade won't happen if the other side doesn't think it will help them as well, but to spin it as though the reason we want to make the trade is to help the Eagles is just .... I don't know the right word.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If the Browns do trade one of our first round picks to the Eagles for Sam Bradford...

DOES THAT HELP THE EAGLES, if it is their goal to move up in the draft to take Mariota?

Last edited by mac; 04/14/15 06:50 AM.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Giving up one of our first round picks for Bradford will not help the Browns IF..

#1. if Bradford's injury history bites him again and he suffers another season ending injury.

#2. if Bradford will not sign an extension to play more than one year for the Browns.

Reports that Bradford will not sign a contract extension if he is dealt to the Browns are becoming closer to being fact.

Eagles' Sam Bradford won't sign contract extension if traded to Cleveland Browns, source says

By Mark Eckel | For NJ Advance Media
on April 13, 2015 at 6:30 AM, updated April 13, 2015 at 10:37 AM
link

If you were connecting dots on how the Eagles, with the 20th pick in the NFL Draft, could move up high enough to select Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the Cleveland Browns were always in the middle.

The Browns, who have been known to like current Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford and own both the 12th and 19th overall picks in the draft, were being highly considered as a third piece to the puzzle that somehow lands the Eagles one of the top picks in the April 30 draft.

Now, that may no longer be feasible.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation who asked for anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the subject, the Browns could be out on Bradford.

Not because Cleveland doesn't still want the former No. 1 overall pick, but because he doesn't want the Browns.

"Bradford's agent (Tom Condon) has told Cleveland he won't even listen on a contract extension,'' the person said. "He won't even listen, period. And I don't think Cleveland will make a deal without the extension.''

Bradford is in the final year of his rookie contract and will earn $12.9 million this season from whoever is employer happens to be.

NFL DRAFT: Full coverage of the 2015 draft class
Is there any chance the Eagles can come to terms on a long-term deal with Bradford before the start of 2015 season?

"I'm not sure a deal gets done,'' the person said. "But (Condon) will at least listen to the Eagles.''

If Cleveland has indeed ended its pursuit of Bradford, the Browns could now intensify its effort to move up in the draft and land Mariota.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Eagles Trade Rumors: Browns no longer interested in Sam Bradford
By Brandon Lee Gowton @BrandonGowton on Apr 13, 2015, 12:50p

Ron Schwane-USA TODAY Sports

The quarterback's unwillingness to sign a contract extension in Cleveland has likely killed the possibility of a trade.

Rumors emerged last week that the Eagles and Browns were discussing a trade. The deal supposedly involved Philadelphia sending Sam Bradford to Cleveland in exchange for Johnny Manziel and a first round draft pick. That rumor was later clarified by a report from Jason Cole who said that the Eagles don't want Manziel but the team does want the Cleveland draft pick in order to help get Marcus Mariota.

It's looking like Bradford won't be headed to the Browns any time soon, however. There's no question that Cleveland had strong interest; they reportedly offered up the No. 19 overall pick for him. The problem is that the interest isn't mutual.

According to Mark Eckel of NJ.com, Bradford has no interest in even listening to a potential contract extension offer from the Browns.

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation who asked for anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the subject, the Browns could be out on Bradford.

Not because Cleveland doesn't still want the former No. 1 overall pick, but because he doesn't want the Browns.

"Bradford's agent (Tom Condon) has told Cleveland he won't even listen on a contract extension,'' the person said. "He won't even listen, period. And I don't think Cleveland will make a deal without the extension."

Eckel's report reflects something similar written by Peter King in his MMQB column late last month. Bold emphasis mine:

"I think I can now say with certainty that The Other Team in the chase for Sam Bradford—as many have inferred—was Cleveland. The Browns would have been willing to part with a first-round pick in either 2015 or 2016 (I do not know which year) for Bradford, but there were two problems: One, the Browns didn’t have a quarterback to give in return, and Philadelphia was willing to fork over Nick Foles. Two, Bradford would not have been willing to sign a new contract this off-season if he were traded to Cleveland, and he is willing to consider an extension in Philadelphia. So the Philly deal was really the only one that made sense for the Rams and for Bradford, in the end."

Bradford is set to enter the 2015 season on the last year of his contract. Eckel reports that it's unclear if the Eagles, who have seemingly shown some interest in an extension, will get a new deal done with Bradford. But Bradford's agent is reportedly at least willing to take offers from Philadelphia.

So while Bradford can't actually prevent the Eagles from trading him, he can (and seemingly has) prevent the Browns from trading for him by refusing to sign an extension. Not only does this mean that it's less likely the Eagles trade Bradford away, but it could also mean that it's less likely the Eagles get Mariota.

Then again, there are still plenty of other teams out there. It was reported back in February that teams at the top of the draft order prefer Bradford to top prospects Jameis Winston and Mariota. And there's plenty of time for things to change prior to the 2015 NFL Draft. Stay tuned.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/...-marcus-mariota

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
Ron Schwane-USA TODAY Sports

The quarterback's unwillingness to sign a contract extension in Cleveland has likely killed the possibility of a trade.

Good - less avenues to pursue. Now let's refine our focus. Mariota anyone?...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm idly wondering if his pre-season ACL injury at the hands of the Browns is the reason he won't even consider signing?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Jester...thanks for the article. It is another source with the same report...Bradford does not want to be dealt to the Browns.

Now, does that mean that Haslam might not try to force the deal?..lord I hope not.

It is kind of ironic, Kelly may have made the deal for Bradford, thinking that one of his options might be to lure the Browns into giving up a first round pick to the Eagles for Bradford...only to have Bradford take control of the situation, stating he doesn't want to sign and extension with the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think this is another source. I think it is a writer sourcing another writer. Regardless, I have little doubt about it's veracity.

This is also nothing new for Bradford. Weren't there rumors that Bradford didn't want to play for the Browns when he was in the draft?

I posted the article because this is the 1st that I have seen saying that we are no longer interested in Bradford. The truth of that is less certain.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Honestly... and go ahead and crucify me since "Noone wants to be here, play here or anything here" but I'd view the qb opportunity here as something above average.

You'll have:

Pretty much no competition.

A generally stable, consistent offensive line protection.

A should-be continuance of the effective run game which two big things, 1. Heavy amounts of pressure being lifted and 2. Play action and easy, wide open deep attacks.

Ignoring the draft, you have some decent targets to throw to (Hawkins and Hartline being the biggest IMO)

... I could think of worst situations to go in. The fact Bradford doesn't want to be here is a dead topic. We are talking about a guy whom retirement was in the talks last year. Taking about a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy since ever. His knee is shot.

I just want to avoid everything about Bradford. I hope it's true he don't and wouldn't sign an extension, cause that would hopefully kill the staff's deep interest in pursuing him.

All JMO

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm sort of past discussing Bradfords prowess as to me its irrelevant at this point. Just letting you know the skills didn't erode the environment he had did. We get a big time disrespect on our environment cause of our results but the biggest reason is that we don't have an established QB.

I just don't think our people have given up on Manziel, of course so much of that would be determined by his maturity the next few months.

Draft. My feelings is this. If Mariota is that great we WILL NOT GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO DRAFT HIM...point Blank!
Titans could use him, Redskins could easily change course with RG3, Jets Regime did not draft Gino Smith they will take any QB that is remotely a Franchise QB, Bears have said to be interested. I just don't see it happening unless Mariota is all hype and he is there for us at 12. Then we have a decision to make.

But these guys drafted Manziel all be it in the later half of the first round. I don't see them giving up on Manziel that quick.

Its sort of odd cause you say Manziel is no good done over with. Yet you go on to say that instead of 12&19 in trade you would wish One first rounder & Manziel. So that he is as valuable as a #19 draft pick?

Those who didn't like his talents when we drafted him...have no bearing on this as obviously our GM & Coaching staff did.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. If SB doesn't want to be here fine. the guy is another injury waiting to happen and we can't afford that. Imagine trading one of our #1's for him (possibly more) him getting hurt for the year and ending up with nothing. With our luck this would happen. NO thank's.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Our ineptitude is finally helping us!

Legend
Legend
Bet he will regret it when he sees these hyped up unis. That is more important than I care to believe.

Perhaps the flip side of "winning ugly" is "Losing pretty"? I do not care how we look, just win, baby. SB is just another guy to beat if these articles are true.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Browns do trade one of our first round picks to the Eagles for Sam Bradford...

DOES THAT HELP THE EAGLES, if it is their goal to move up in the draft to take Mariota?

Yes, mac that WOULD HELP THE EAGLES. No one is suggesting otherwise. My point is that the way you worded it:

is making it sound as though the ONLY PURPOSE TO US MAKING THAT TRADE IS TO HELP THE EAGLES. Note your wording.

In reality, we would be giving up a 1st round pick for Bradford to ADDRESS OUR PATHETIC QB SITUATION. The fact that it helps the Eagles is a byproduct of the trade, and not our intent.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Hate this time of year..no real football to talk about but a lot of speculation about draft moves..that is all we have to talk about.

The spelling police are out..the grammar police are out..now the thought police are out.

CAP..I'm sorry if my post led you to believe that only the Eagles would be helped by the "imaginary trade".

You do realize that board members are doing a lot "speculation" and "conjecture" in the months, weeks and days leading up to the draft????

I'm sorry if my speculation upset you. Try not to take what is posted personally, because it is not meant to be personal in any way.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Trust me you won't get anywhere...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm idly wondering if his pre-season ACL injury at the hands of the Browns is the reason he won't even consider signing?

He wasn't even really touched on the play where he was hurt.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

He wasn't even really touched on the play where he was hurt.

We didn't do anything remotely vicious or intent to hurt. Bryant did have his full body weight on him for a second - but then let go right at the point his knee gave out...maybe Bradford yelped or Bryant heard the knee give?

I think Condon has convinced him and it wouldn't take too much that we would be a bad place for him to go.
His loss not ours I guess we had the best chance of keeping him safe.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No worries

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If I'm a QB, this is a place I am definitely interested in.

The team has multiple high draft picks to help add weapons to an already solid offensive unit. The Browns have a great OL, and a very good run game. They have solid receivers and a solid TE group.

We also have a solid defense, and our offense won't have to score a ton of points to win games this year.

There is a lot for a QB to like here. I get the recent history, but this coach looks like a keeper, and should bring long term stability with him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think you trend too much to the optimistic side of things.

Our defense is above average, but they are hardly dominate. Not really close actually. They would be a great defense if we had a legit QB, but they aren't going to carry us to any wins. I would love to see them take a step up this year and become that dominant type, but a lot of things would have to happen for that. Haden would have to be dominant from Game 1 to Game 16, we would need to find a double digit sack guy opposite Kruger, and the scheme would need to be adjusted to stop the run. We are really far away from having a defense that can carry the team.

I really think our best hope is that Manziel comes back a different person. It has to start with him wanting to be a NFL player. I never got the impression last year that he loved the game. If that hasn't changed, he won't be successful. But I believe he's our best hope at having a successful season. Since his odds of success are likely low, I believe this season will be disastrous.

You cannot beat Big Ben and Flacco with a solid, slightly above average D. You just can't. You have to have a Ravens type defense - the kind that carried that team until they found Flacco. And since we split with Cincy every year, we are starting off the season with 5 losses.

Buckle your seat belts everyone. This is going to be a very bumpy year. I just hope after the season that cooler heads prevail and Pettine and Farmer don't get canned.

Legend
Legend
We were a top 10 scoring defense last year. That is a nice place to start. Our OL is definitely a top 10, at worst, OL. We have a pair of fine looking, young RB. We also have a lot of draft picks to add talent with.

Ons of the rumors I read said that we were going to give up #19 for Bradford and a 2nd round pick. That would still leave us 1 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd, 2 4ths, a 5th, 2 6ths, and a 7th round pick to add talent. We also still have cap space to add a late cut or 2.

This team is really well situated to make a big jump this coming year, and would really make a huge move with a upper level QB added to the mix. I don't think that is blind optimism at all.

Legend
Legend
We beat Pitt last year, and if not for Billy Fricken Cundiff and a Practice Squad QB starting, should of at least split with Baltimore..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Time to move on from the SB fantasy. As much as I want him, if we had him, he would definitely blow out his knee this year and retire. The Curse is still ongoing. If you don't believe that, just look at the clowns in the FO.

Legend
Legend
I agree with you Ytown. I mean, lots of pieces and parts are in place and with 10 picks this year we should be able to add even more.

Any QB who believes in himself would have to at least give us consideration because of the very things you brought up.

But if Bradford, who is without a doubt over paid for what he's been able to produce, doesn't want to come here, why in the hell is it even a big deal?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

"Bradford's agent (Tom Condon) has told Cleveland he won't even listen on a contract extension,'' the person said. "He won't even listen, period. And I don't think Cleveland will make a deal without the extension."

I wonder if Damanshot and others are still thinking if my original post is BS? tongue

I wonder if 32 and other homers can still spin this in a positive way?

It won't make any sense, but I bet they'll try.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Who wouldnt trade gilbert and manziel for rivers or bradford make your case.

Last edited by jacksondawg; 04/14/15 10:03 PM.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Fine trade for rivers ,than blitz the crap out of bradford when we play him

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bradford won't make it through 3 weeks of the season. Heck he may not make it through 3 weeks of pre season.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Bradford won't make it through 3 weeks of the season. Heck he may not make it through 3 weeks of pre season.

I share the same sentiment. Bending his knee to get below center to take the snap is putting him in a position for an ACL tear. He'll trip and tear that ACL again.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

I wonder if Damanshot and others are still thinking if my original post is BS? tongue

I wonder if 32 and other homers can still spin this in a positive way?

It won't make any sense, but I bet they'll try.

What the hell is the difference. Let's face it, the ONLY reason you posted it in the first place was to attempt to shine a bad light on the FO and Ownership. That's your agenda. NO way people around here can't see it. Feel free to deny it all you want.

Tell me this, did they say WHY he wouldn't sign an extension with us?

And did you read what you posted,, WHAT person said that Tom Condon said he wouldn't sign an extension with the Browns.

YES, until I hear why he wouldn't want to be here, and proof Condon said it in the first place, then it's BS

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bradford Would Not Sign Extension w/Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard