Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
If the Browns had drafted this way in 99, building the trenches first, I'd be willing to bet this organizations current history may have been different.

I completely agree with this. How many years did we draft WRs in the second round and completely neglect our O-line? While it's not sexy and it doesn't fill a huge need, we still got arguable the two best interior linemen (offense and defense) in the draft.

They showed that one graphic last night of drafts where Cleveland had two first round picks:
Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn
Trent Richardson and Brandon Weedon
Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel.

Oddly enough, the only pick that has worked out was the lineman.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Just think...at #19 overall say we drafted a pure OT...which everyone can agree is a need even if its only for depth or to push Shwartz...its capable that OT would be "insurance" as well...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't like the pick last night, but that was looking at him as an interior lineman. Looking at the film/measurables, I think he's a solid utility guy at all five positions now and can develop into a stud RT, maybe sooner than later. Good feet, long arms, big hands, 30 reps 225 with those long arms. I don't see another right tackle prospect I like better with Flowers off the board.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I think he's a good player. Very well could have been BPA for us at #19. I can't knock that.

In terms of the team getting better? I don't know. We lose Rubin, use our top pick on a NT. Mack is rumored to be on the fence, we use another 1st at center.

Its kind of frustrating to see Good Guys leave and us re-draft the same spots. Hope that's not what is going on here with Mack. And that's not necessarily a shot at the front office. It might just be an indicator of people wanting out of town, and us being forced to replace them.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
And like clockwork, you can predict who will be negative.

Since agenda-accusations are the apologists preferred method of argumentations, here's the pre draft thread on Shelton or Parker, remember?

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/938623/danny-shelton-or-devante-parker#Post938623

Thatwas my assessment then:

"From what I saw, neither is worth the pick."...
"Shelton otoh, I like his motor and hustle, but he's not dominant in anything he does, but he seems like a decent bet to make it in the NFL, but not star caliber."

Should I change it now only not to sound negative and be a good cheerleader?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My biggest issue with the pick was passing on Dupree again and leaving him for the Steelers to pick up. That was my nightmare scenario. He ends up anywhere else I wouldn't be bothered as much. Not that Dupree would have been amazing for us for sure, but just because it's the Steelers he'll turn into a human wrecking ball against us twice a year for the next 12 seasons.

Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know I wasn't that high on him...but this is my point. I know my stuff and yet I know I haven't remotely studied anything equal to what the Scouting, Coaching staffs have. I value their opinion MORE THAN MY OWN.

Why would I really care/change my mind from anything Me, You and other amateur evaluations have stated. I get it you didn't like him predraft and you didn't just say it you put out your opinion.

Just saying it doesn't make it right???

Why agenda has to do with this. You mean Fans of a team are looking at the Positives? Why not?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
not in reply to anyone in particular... just my rambling thoughts:

This is a SOLID move. What killed us last year as much as anything was having nothing to step in when Mack went down. We had no 6th man. Our line was trashed; continuity was gone.

One way or another, now we have solution to the "what if we lose one of our starters".

We have a guy that potentially is as good as Mack and likely could displace either of Bitonio and Greco from their positions.... AND he can (will?) probably turn Schwartz into the Swing Man while being able to step over and fill in at any of the three interior spots on his own.

What this means is that with the exception of Joe Thomas, we could have ANY one of four players go down and we could keep on trucking while barely missing a beat - it wouldn't destroy our season like it did a year ago.

Say what y'all want, but last year was rocking until Mack went down. Had he stayed healthy all year - and not likely triggered the implosion we saw in Hoyer - we had a completely legitimate shot at being in the playoffs. So.... is a 1st round pick worth creating the insurance that the OLine won't keep us out of the playoffs again? I think so.

One measly pick and a bargain rookie contract for that sort of peace of mind.... AND now we're insured for if (when?) Mack bolts.

This is what reloading looks like.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
Why agenda has to do with this. You mean Fans of a team are looking at the Positives? Why not?

No, there are some posters that turn any negative comment into a blasphemy of demonic proportions. What's the point of that?

Look, we could have done much worse than Shelton-Erving, but we needed more. Farmer drafted scared and worst of all, there's still no evident plan. Now they talk about winning through the trenches with solid players...after picking up bom/bust projects after another last season. I don't see any plan, it's pure reactionism to save their butts

#gmstrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
My biggest issue with the pick was passing on Dupree again and leaving him for the Steelers to pick up. That was my nightmare scenario. He ends up anywhere else I wouldn't be bothered as much. Not that Dupree would have been amazing for us for sure, but just because it's the Steelers he'll turn into a human wrecking ball against us twice a year for the next 12 seasons.

I don't think anyone can wreck on us. We've kept elite, proven nfl elite, rushers at bay. The only real rush threat, IMO, is JJ Watt, but he rain on anyone's oline. Even the wall that Dallas has.

Baltimore getting Perriman to go opposite of Smith Sr is more of a danger/threat/concern that Steelers getting Bud. JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I like Dupree a lot but he is going against Joe Thomas.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm happy Dupree plays for the Steelers. Pre-draft I compared his game to Jarvis Jones, obviously, the Steelers agreed. If he's "as good" as Jones, we will be fine....even with Erving at RT tongue

#gmstrong

R
Legend
Legend
R
I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that. LOL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
all I know is Pittsburgh took Dupree and Ravens took Perriman, both who were available when we took this second round project.

A DE with questionable instincts and a WR with very questionable hands.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Look, we could have done much worse than Shelton-Erving

Thank you for at least stating it wasn't a disaster.

DJ - I think you have good stuff. It not so much the stuff you say its a lot how you present it. And ME/Others on the board don't know you at all. A lot of what you say sounds very - I AM DJ AND A BETTER GM THAN ANYONE IN THE NFL...I know you don't say that but that is why many of us (Including me) take what you say the wrong way.

My apologies for reacting that way...just telling you why cause odds are you are not the guy some think you are (negative guy). By the way I reacted that way I know on the Shelton thread...lol laugh

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not only a WR with questionable hands, but he's replacing a guy that was better.

Ozzie has no idea what he's doing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
I'm happy Dupree plays for the Steelers. Pre-draft I compared his game to Jarvis Jones, obviously, the Steelers agreed. If he's "as good" as Jones, we will be fine....even with Erving at RT tongue

I whiff on most backers so the fact that i do like him isnt a plus for his chances of success. OL, CB and QBs, I usually hit on pretty well though. The only corner i have missed on recent memory was the kid from LSU that went to Dallas, what a bust. OL have been really good on. QB, Aaron Rogers was really about the only big miss, I liked Rogers but he was from a system that just produced one turd after another and it scared me from any endorcement. If Johnny doesnt vastly improve he will make that list in a very negative way.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I know, since you responded to someone else, but when I quit posting around here it was like that with you and seeing it is still the same I though it (you) needs to get called out for it. It was one of the reasons I felt it wasn't worth it anymore on here. I'm sure Vers does it in a much more contradicting way, but it is what it is, as in pure rhetorics and not much of an argument

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Need to see how the rest of the draft falls .. I admit that I would have gone Parker at 12 and then hoped for Shelton or Brown at 19 ( NE took Brown at 32 ).. I understand the pick though ..

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
Look, we could have done much worse than Shelton-Erving

Thank you for at least stating it wasn't a disaster.

DJ - I think you have good stuff. It not so much the stuff you say its a lot how you present it. And ME/Others on the board don't know you at all. A lot of what you say sounds very - I AM DJ AND A BETTER GM THAN ANYONE IN THE NFL...I know you don't say that but that is why many of us (Including me) take what you say the wrong way.

My apologies for reacting that way...just telling you why cause odds are you are not the guy some think you are (negative guy). By the way I reacted that way I know on the Shelton thread...lol laugh

jmho

Not only that but it's really interesting for someone like me who doesn't watch college tape to read DJ say "watch the tape he's bad", then to hear you say "I watched it and he was good".

Just makes someone like me wonder how much to trust what I read on here and how much of what you see is not only open to interpretation but to also understating what is occurring schematically on every play. My impression from your back and forth with DJ is he takes a very myopic view of what he's seeing where you were trying to understand everything that was going on during the play.

Not saying either of you are right or wrong. Just don't know what to put any stock into.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

I whiff on most backers so the fact that i do like him isnt a plus for his chances of success. OL, CB and QBs, I usually hit on pretty well though. The only corner i have missed on recent memory was the kid from LSU that went to Dallas, what a bust. OL have been really good on. QB, Aaron Rogers was really about the only big miss, I liked Rogers but he was from a system that just produced one turd after another and it scared me from any endorcement. If Johnny doesnt vastly improve he will make that list in a very negative way.

Claiborne, yeah. He was my biggest non QB miss too.

Again, Shelton and Erving are pretty safe bets to be solid players with a low bust chance and Farmer avoided bigger mistakes, but I'm underwhelmed with regards to their ceilings. We needed more than that to get better. We will see how he does with the next picks, but I'm not holding my breath

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Need to see how the rest of the draft falls .. I admit that I would have gone Parker at 12 and then hoped for Shelton or Brown at 19 ( NE took Brown at 32 ).. I understand the pick though ..

This was me, I had Parker valued really high but I understand the pick. I think his quality of person was also a big selling point for this team. Plus now i get to go back to hating on Lousiville players lol and Vers hell with Teddy too lol.

Erving, I had going to the Chiefs in the first. I was higher on him than a lot of folks, didnt think he would be there in the 2nd at all but hey I would rather have Erving at 19 than Scherff at 5 lol I cant imagine taking a guard that high.

T
Legend
Legend
T
But save for Bodine, they are better players.

R
Legend
Legend
R

I know, since you responded to someone else, but when I quit posting around here it was like that with you and seeing it is still the same I though it (you) needs to get called out for it. It was one of the reasons I felt it wasn't worth it anymore on here. I'm sure Vers does it in a much more contradicting way, but it is what it is, as in pure rhetorics and not much of an argument

Does every post I make have to be in the form of an argument or debate? I can't post an observation?

There is an intense amount of negativity on this board, and there are people who are consistently negative, no matter what happens. I find it incredibly annoying and unproductive. Was my comment productive? No, it wasn't. So I'm a hypocrite in that regard. But you know, I feel it needs calling out. LOL.

I'm glad you left because of me, and I hope you do it again.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's a lot of negativity? Go figure, might have something to do with the team and entire organization. Wild guess.

FWIW, I didn't leave because of you or anyone. Debate was weak and I mainly left because of general disinterest.

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 05/01/15 11:16 AM.

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I look at Dupree as the complete opposite if Jarvis Jones. Jones has less size and is less explosive. He played in a scheme where his skills were emphasized in college rather than hidden. Jones was relatively polished, Dupree is not. I had off the field red flags for Jones, none with Dupree.

I'm not worried about Dupree versus JT. I'm worried about Dupree against Schwartz and later whoever replaces JT.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
all I know is Pittsburgh took Dupree and Ravens took Perriman, both who were available when we took this second round project.

A DE with questionable instincts and a WR with very questionable hands.

Come on, you're ruining their argument. It's easier to just say we picked wrong and point to players that are guaranteed Pro Bowlers.

This isn't my opinion, but isn't this is a weak draft for first rounders? Meaning, there's a lot of 2nd rounders that will get drafted in the first. I've heard McShay, Pollian, and other board members say that too. If that's true, and you're selecting at #19, you have to expect every player available is going to have some problems. A WR that can't catch, a one-dimensional pass rusher, or an OT/G/C that isn't perfect from day one.

I might have gone DE with #19, but they did their homework. They have a plan. You, anyone claiming they don't have a plan, might not agree with the plan, but they have one. They know more about their own roster than we do.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wasn't thrilled with the Bitonio pick last year. not that I didn't think we needed a G but I certainly felt he was overdrafted. I thought it was a reach pick. I see many saying the same thing here about Erving.

I'm not sure what role they see for Erving, but I have to look back at the Bitonio pick and say that until I have a reason to see for myself that he will not be a starter and not be a good OL player. I have to look at last year and the evidence indicates they know what they need and how to draft OL.

If Jalen Strong lasts until #43 and we take him, I will feel they got very good bang for their buck at the WR position. I certainly didn't see any of the WR's they passed up at #19 as worthy of the pick.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
This isn't my opinion, but isn't this is a weak draft for first rounders? Meaning, there's a lot of 2nd rounders that will get drafted in the first. I've heard McShay, Pollian, and other board members say that too. If that's true, and you're selecting at #19, you have to expect every player available is going to have some problems. A WR that can't catch, a one-dimensional pass rusher, or an OT/G/C that isn't perfect from day one.

I was under the same impression. This draft seemed to have a lot of "safe" picks in it but not a lot of star power. Even the 2 QBs taken 1 and 2 both have some pretty serious ????????....

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Not a fan of picking a guy who isn't great at any position at 19. I wouldn't have drafted him at 43 much less 19. Hope I'm wrong.

You are. This year he was rated the best blocker in the ACC as a center. Last year he was rated the best blocker in the ACC as a LT.

I think we move him to RG, or maybe even RT and move Schwartz inside.

So who do you sit then ....... our best Guard of a year ago, Greco, or our 2nd round pick of a year ago, Bitonio?

Man, I have no idea why people want to replace Greco, who was our best Guard last year. He is probably a top 15 Guard in the NFL, and he might even be higher. He was effective playing next to McDonald and Seymour on the inside, and Schwartz on the outside. (who many greatly dislike) Imagine if he had played the entire season next to Mack, instead of the revolving door we had at C.

I just don't get why people think that moving Schwartz to RG would improve the 3rd best position on our OL. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

I like the Erving pick, I just don't like Dupree in Pitt. Hopefully Butler changes things up. I see Dupree as a perfect fit for Lebeau's scheme.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I could be wrong but if Erving improves and has some upside could he be JT's replacement someday? Just a thought.

2nd String
2nd String
J/C

I like the Erving pick, I just don't like Dupree in Pitt. Hopefully Butler changes things up. I see Dupree as a perfect fit for Lebeau's scheme.

If Erving can stuff Dupree twice a year like he did Eli Harold in college, you will LOVE this pick.

That should be the measuring stick here...We will get to see the two picks line up across from each other for at least the next 4 years, probably 5.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Memphis I haven't watched film enough to be any expert on him.

Me neither. I looked up some other 'reports' that do align with your comments as well. So, naturally, there are varying opinions.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grecco wasnt our best guard last year. Hell Bitonio may have been our best player last year, should have been in the probowl.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Man, I have no idea why people want to replace Greco, who was our best Guard last year. He is probably a top 15 Guard in the NFL, and he might even be higher. He was effective playing next to McDonald and Seymour on the inside, and Schwartz on the outside. (who many greatly dislike) Imagine if he had played the entire season next to Mack, instead of the revolving door we had at C.

When is the last time when we had legit competition for a position between multiple qualified guys and had the luxury of picking the best one to start and having the others for depth? Historically our position battles have been choosing the better of two weak players then praying he didn't get hurt.

I get that you don't draft depth at 19.. but how many teams have had their entire season fall apart from an injury to the OL? Kind of like ours did last year...

I like Grecco, I would dispute that he was better than Bitonio but then Bitonio had JT to his left and Grecco had Schwartz to his right, so there is that....

Grecco just turned 30, which isn't old but it's getting there. For years and years fans screamed that we didn't focus on the trenches, now we are and people are screaming we didn't draft a WR...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we slide Erving in at RT. Schwartz is an okay RT, but he doesn't have the nasty/finisher mentality we need to take our running game to the next level. Erving flashes it.

Fiercely Independent.
A
Legend
Legend
A

Not only that but it's really interesting for someone like me who doesn't watch college tape to read DJ say "watch the tape he's bad", then to hear you say "I watched it and he was good".

Just makes someone like me wonder how much to trust what I read on here and how much of what you see is not only open to interpretation but to also understating what is occurring schematically on every play.

That's the nature of the beast.

Sadly, it's like the IRS - talk to 5 different IRS people with a tax problem you have, you may get 5 different answers. Same with scouting players for the MOST part. (examples: Luck - panned out according to pre-draft thoughts. Brady? 6th rounder -and even some experts thought THAT was too high)

Here's a personal example: After we drafted weeden, I watched some of his tape and I thought "what on earth did we draft HIM for? He can't make tight throws - rec. has to be wide open. Plus, he locks on to 1 rec. way, way too often. (hey, I'm not a scout - don't claim to be.)

Just like I think 40 times are, for the most part, over rated - quickness matters, not a difference of 2/10 of a second over 40 yards. Even 3/10 of a second isn't a big deal. IMO

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Grecco wasnt our best guard last year. Hell Bitonio may have been our best player last year, should have been in the probowl.

This.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: IrishDawg42

If Erving can stuff Dupree twice a year like he did Eli Harold in college, you will LOVE this pick.

That should be the measuring stick here...We will get to see the two picks line up across from each other for at least the next 4 years, probably 5.

If he outplays Dupree, I will thumbsup

Fiercely Independent.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns draft Cameron Erving with the 19th pick.

Link Copied to Clipboard