Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Grecco wasnt our best guard last year. Hell Bitonio may have been our best player last year, should have been in the probowl.

Bitonio looked really good while Mack was out there, but dropped off after Mack was injured. Greco was a better Guard last tear than Bitonio was. (and I think that Bitonio has a really bright future ahead of him)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
For years and years fans screamed that we didn't focus on the trenches, now we are and people are screaming we didn't draft a WR...

LOL yep!

If the line gives the qb all day, do we really need superstar WRs? Unless they give up on the plays, we can see more of that Hoyer to Gabriel TD ordeals where timing was in abundance for Brian and Taylor was smart enough to not give up and continue to try to make himself an available target.

Food for thought.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 05/01/15 12:01 PM.
Legend
Legend
I just want to add something here, and this is the problem I have with this pick:

Ready?

Roethlisberger
Miller
Bell
Brown
Bryant

Dalton
Hill
Bernard
Green
Sanu

Flacco
Forsett
Smith

The Ravens need a WR, so what did they do? They drafted a WR with incredible speed. Where we drafted Erving, we could have taken either Perriman or we could have taken Agholor. (who probably would have been my choice)

It is nice that we have added to a great OL, but we are so far behind the other teams in our division with regards to our offensive skill positions that it isn't even funny. That is where we need to upgrade, and we completely ignored it. We need players who score TDs, or who stop the other team from scoring TDs. On our team, an extra utility lineman is a nice luxury, but it is a lot like adding a power leather seat to a moped. We will still lose the race to the other teams in our division. The Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens all have players who can score from any position on the field. Who is that player for the Browns?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Not only that but it's really interesting for someone like me who doesn't watch college tape to read DJ say "watch the tape he's bad", then to hear you say "I watched it and he was good".

Just makes someone like me wonder how much to trust what I read on here and how much of what you see is not only open to interpretation but to also understating what is occurring schematically on every play. My impression from your back and forth with DJ is he takes a very myopic view of what he's seeing where you were trying to understand everything that was going on during the play.

Not saying either of you are right or wrong. Just don't know what to put any stock into.

DJ seems to base his analysis on the end results of individual plays. I like to take a bigger picture view and try to decipher what a guy can or can't do. When his technique is right does this guy get beaten. When this guys technique is right do good things happen. Everyone is going to have bad plays when they screw up, but not everyone is going to win when their technique is right.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do not agree for a second that Greco was better than Bitonio last year. Bitonio was a stud and was incredibly consistent for a rookie. I don't dislike Greco, I dislike Schwartz. I hope that Erving can provide some serious competition for either of them, but ideally I hope he can easily win the RT spot from Mitchell Schwartz. It's nice having quality depth for a change as well. Also still possible we take another offensive lineman later in the draft. If we take another center, I think it'll be pretty obvious that Erving is being penciled in at RG or RT.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
All Pro
All Pro
Cheer up. Maybe they'll get really aggressive in round 2 and move up and get Jaelen Strong and Maxx Williams. tongue Then again, that would eat up the 3rd and 4th round picks...to get both of them anyway.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Cheer up. Maybe they'll get really aggressive in round 2 and move up and get Jaelen Strong and Maxx Williams. tongue Then again, that would eat up the 3rd and 4th round picks...to get both of them anyway.

I was thinking about that. Day 1 was so void of action and trades that day 2 might just go nuts. I would be willing to consider giving up some 3rd and 4th round picks to land both of those guys. I've liked Strong since early last year.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso
I do not agree for a second that Greco was better than Bitonio last year. Bitonio was a stud and was incredibly consistent for a rookie. I don't dislike Greco, I dislike Schwartz. I hope that Erving can provide some serious competition for either of them, but ideally I hope he can easily win the RT spot from Mitchell Schwartz. It's nice having quality depth for a change as well. Also still possible we take another offensive lineman later in the draft. If we take another center, I think it'll be pretty obvious that Erving is being penciled in at RG or RT.

Go back and watch the 2 Guards after Mack got hurt. Bitonio really fell off a great deal. He was exceptional when he was in between Thomas and mack, but when he was in between Thomas and * Bum*, he fell off badly, and he struggled. Greco was incredibly consistent last year, even playing between *Bum* and Schwartz.

We also scored 13 of our 17 rushing TD from the middle to right side of the offensive line.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: RedBaron

I was thinking about that. Day 1 was so void of action and trades that day 2 might just go nuts. I would be willing to consider giving up some 3rd and 4th round picks to land both of those guys. I've liked Strong since early last year.

Count me in as well. No qualms surrendering some 4th, 5th maybe even 3rds rounders to get both them. I think I'd be very pleased with our draft if that were to happen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The Ravens need a WR, so what did they do? They drafted a WR with incredible speed.

They drafted a guy in the first round who, before the combine and based on what he had done on the field, was labeled as a "sleeper" by Mayock, he was an afterthought to the other more talented WRs in the class. Then at the underwear olympics he put up great numbers, shot up the board, and now he's a first rounder and everybody is praising how smart the Ravens are. I guess if you are a playoff team with fewer holes you can afford to reach based on need, but I view this as a reach pick. I think Perriman is the offensive equivalent of Mingo, 2 or 3 years from now they will still be wondering when/if he is going to reach his potential.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It is nice that we have added to a great OL, but we are so far behind the other teams in our division with regards to our offensive skill positions that it isn't even funny.

How many teams in our division have more than 1 WR with multiple 1,000 yard seasons?

1. Us.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
When I looked at the ratings in the draft.. Center was a very weak position this year. There was Erving, valued in the middle to low 1st round, then there was everyone else valued in rounds 3/4/5. I think Farmer and Pettine wanted to make sure that a OL injury did not sideline the season again. Depth and versitility is a good thing. I like the pick.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
It is nice that we have added to a great OL, but we are so far behind the other teams in our division with regards to our offensive skill positions that it isn't even funny.

How many teams in our division have more than 1 WR with multiple 1,000 yard seasons?

1. Us.

As much as I like Hartline and Bowe, and I do like both of them, (and I wanted to sign both players) their best days are behind them. They can still be effective, but I doubt that either guy approaches 1000 yards.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Ravens need a WR, so what did they do? They drafted a WR with incredible speed. Where we drafted Erving, we could have taken either Perriman or we could have taken Agholor. (who probably would have been my choice)

Now this is just my opinion YTown, but BOTH of these guys rose quickly up the boards as draft day approached. I believe these were the most overrated WR's in this draft. I would rather have Jalen Strong over both of them and Jalen is still on the board.

Believe me, I am and was for drafting a WR, but I don't want to continue the mistakes we have made in the past. Reach for a WR and he doesn't pan out.

In last years draft I wanted us to draft Jordan Matthews who Philly drafted. This year I want Jalen Strong. There's a point where the pick and the value intersect, and I believe the two WR's you mentioned have the biggest bust potential for where they were drafted than almost anyone in this draft.

JMHO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Like the pick. He should provide competition for Bitty, Greco, and Schwartz, an insurance policy for Mack possibly leaving plus a quality backup to Thomas.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
2nd String
2nd String

1. Us.

As much as I like Hartline and Bowe, and I do like both of them, (and I wanted to sign both players) their best days are behind them. They can still be effective, but I doubt that either guy approaches 1000 yards.

I don't need 1,000 yards out of either, I want 700 yards out of each of them...

Hartline went from being targeted in back to back seasons 130 times and two 1,000+ yards...to being targeted only 63 times in 2014, for a measly 475 yard season, We don't have the receivers to take the targets away from him, so 700 yards isn't asking too much.

Bowe was playing in the conservative Kansas City offense, that didn't utilize their WRs...still managed 754 yards. He should be able to hit that number in Cleveland.

I don't necessarily need a receiver that gets the team 1,800 yards, but I would sure love to see 6 receivers reach at least the 500 yard mark, that is just as productive imho.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ervings tape looks good, he really doesn't look like a center, his feet and hands are excellent. You can tell he has the skills to play outside. When you look at the other two tackles that went right after....man, I would have been upset with those picks.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Is the draft over? of course not!! we still have a long way to go with multiple picks. Let's see how it all shakes out when we're done. The rest of our weaker areas should be filled by then. smile

E
Legend
Legend
E
The important players on your list are
Big Ben
Flacco
and yes even get me to the playoffs ONE n DONE Dalton

On the OL you are correct. Bitonio a rookie lost some of his Studom after Mack got hurt and had the Bums next to him. While yes Greco the vet pretty much stayed steady and ONCE put back to RG was able to keep the OL in control a bit.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
The important players on your list are
Big Ben
Flacco
and yes even get me to the playoffs ONE n DONE Dalton

On the OL you are correct. Bitonio a rookie lost some of his Studom after Mack got hurt and had the Bums next to him. While yes Greco the vet pretty much stayed steady and ONCE put back to RG was able to keep the OL in control a bit.

jmho

ai think that when you have a poor QB situation, then you need even better talent at the other offensive skill positions, so you help that weak link as much as possible.

When you have a true home run hitter, and your QB is only completing 50% of his passes, or throws some passes up for grabs, then those are far more likely to not only be completed, but also go somewhere afterwards. We have a so-so QB position. We need to help him all we can. We need a home run guy who can take an ordinary play and turn it into a TD. We need that guy who can take an off target pass, and not only catch it, but also turn it into something special. (Like Gordon did so often in 2013)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
We need a home run guy who can take an ordinary play and turn it into a TD. We need that guy who can take an off target pass, and not only catch it, but also turn it into something special. (Like Gordon did so often in 2013)

We had that guy in 2013 and we only won 4 games. We didn't have that guy in 2014 and we won 7 games. Just saying....

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
R
Legend
Legend
R
We need DeFlip to be just as good if not better than Shanny.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nothing would make me happier.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Erving will wear #74, for those who are interested.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FreeAgent
Quote:
We need a home run guy who can take an ordinary play and turn it into a TD. We need that guy who can take an off target pass, and not only catch it, but also turn it into something special. (Like Gordon did so often in 2013)

We had that guy in 2013 and we only won 4 games. We didn't have that guy in 2014 and we won 7 games. Just saying....

Very solid point.

How many recent Superbowl winning squads had stud receivers?

I would rather be able to dominate both lines of scrimmage than have a pro-bowl receiver.

Don't get me wrong, we do need another receiver, but I love the two picks we made last night.

Injuries hurt this team on both sides of line last year, and Ray Farmer did what a good GM needs to, he fixed it via the draft with quality players.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
In fairness, we've had some great offensive lines. We've invested a lot of 1st round picks and even max contracts.

So we could make the same arguments about stud left tackles, all-pro centers and home run WRs

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FreeAgent
Quote:

We also had almost nothing else.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DonCoyote
In fairness, we've had some great offensive lines. We've invested a lot of 1st round picks and even max contracts.

So we could make the same arguments about stud left tackles, all-pro centers and home run WRs

Defensive linemen, defensive coaches, offensive coaches, cornerbacks, veteran QBs, first round QBs, short QBs, tall QBs...

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
long term? be nice to have him start at RG. learn center by playing right next to mack this year. short term. well Schwartz is the weak link. i still thought we could get away with him but since we drafted the guy.....

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
I look at Irvng as he only compliment to JT we have.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
I look at Irvng as he only compliment to JT we have.

Who? What?

If your talking about our #19 draft pick, it's "Erving". (understandable mistake, as even the Browns screwed it up. Google it)

But, assuming you meant Erving - as the only compliment to Thomas that we have......I guess I need more info from you on what you mean.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Bitonio may be the best guard in all of football. Joe thomas is the best LT, Mack has become one of the top centers. Now you add a RG that has great feet, power, and he is tenacious. i saw him block 3 guys on one pass play against FSU.

People didnt want Bitonio last year and he is a freaking stud. Some dont want Erving but this kid is capable of Great things. hell we may upgrade Schwatz in the next round!

Bitonio wasn't even the best guard on his own team. He was a good pick, but Grecco outplayed him. In fact, Grecco outplayed even Joe for a good part of the season.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What do you think of the pick, steve?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I can't comment too much, because I did not study this draft and this guy was certainly not one of the guys I looked at.

I have to admit being a bit disappointed. I have always loved drafting offensive linemen, but unless they are already giving up on keeping Mack [which would annoy the hell out of me] than I don't understand why we would take a guy who is best suited to center?

I was hoping for one of the WRs at 19. But again, I am no expert in this draft.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
What do you think of the pick, steve?

I think he's a very good player. He's not who I would have drafted. I think he will be a high quality starter for us in 2016. I don't hate the pick. I just think we could have done better. I would have drafted Parker at 12. I would have drafted Malcom Brown at 19, even after we drafted Shelton at 12. I'd put the Erving pick about on par with if we had taken Agholor. So honestly, he was either my 2nd or 3rd choice at that pick, I just had a clear number one.

Erving is a very good talent. He's a team-first guy and allegedly a team leader as well. Really the only negative things I can say about the pick is that he's not going to improve our team much this year and that I think we missed out on a big-time talent on the DL.

Last edited by clevesteve; 05/01/15 05:56 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks steve.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Erving will wear #74, for those who are interested.

Can he be as good as Bruce Matthews?

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bruce Matthews is a HOFer.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I can't comment too much, because I did not study this draft and this guy was certainly not one of the guys I looked at.

I have to admit being a bit disappointed. I have always loved drafting offensive linemen, but unless they are already giving up on keeping Mack [which would annoy the hell out of me] than I don't understand why we would take a guy who is best suited to center?

I was hoping for one of the WRs at 19. But again, I am no expert in this draft.

You can't hate the pick, because depth is important, but I hate this revisionist's history that Browns fans have that we don't address the OL. We have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks invested. Now we have 3 firsts and 2 seconds.

Losing Mack killed us last year, but it was because our QB needed a run game to be eficient. Seattle lost their center at the end of the year for a few games and didn't miss a beat. That's the difference.

So great, we have more depth on the OL, but we're weak at so many other positions on this team. I don't want to hear the people that love this pick trying to run Pettine out of town when we're 5-11 this year, because quite frankly, it'd be a miracle to win more than 5 short of Johnny Manziel morphing into Johnny Football.

If this pick was 100% Ray just taking the top player on his board? Then I feel way better about it, because maybe that is the start of a change in philosophy with this team. That means Jimmy Haslam and other outside influences were not involved. Going forward, that's awesome.

So yeah, I don't agre with the pick, but I'm not mad about it either. This kid is a good player who can play multiple positions. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

We also did get 2 guys who are the very best at their position coming out of this draft, which is also a nice way to look at it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bruce Matthews is a HOFer.

I was just looking for other players that wore 74. On Pro Football Reference there is a list of the best players to wear every number and Bruce Matthews was one. It had him listed as a guard, center, and tackle. I thought it was interesting.

Link

Fiercely Independent.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Browns draft Cameron Erving with the 19th pick.

Link Copied to Clipboard