Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really doubt that. Regardless, what is your point?

Legend
Legend
j/c

I just really wanted Jaelen Strong in the 3rd round when he was available ... I think he's going to be productive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I know one thing..the Browns offense will be easy to scheme against in 2015.
Farmer knows he doesn't doesn't have a QB worth a darn on the roster.
so he's gonna try to turn the clock back to 1972 and just run run run.
He must have been watching the Dolphins with Greise Kiick Morris.

If the Browns get behind 10 pts they are done.
This is not a offense designed to score alot of points.
Your 2 top WRs had what a combined 5 TDS in 2014?

I see Farmer has a plan unlike Heckert.
I just don't think it will translate to wins.

How come the Browns haven't found a guy that can flip the field and give you favorable field
position if your gonna have a offense that should be on the antiques road show?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The talking heads are lauding the Titans draft after Mariota and DGB. I seem to recall the same talking heads having Savage lauded for moving back to take Quinn.

The press like the flashy names and boom or bust picks. Not saying Mariota or DGB are busts at all but solid picking does not sell web clicks.

I like our draft plenty, others are welcome not to.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
I really Like this draft. If you compare past drafts with this one, you can see that we are drafting just good solid football players. Whereas in the past it seemed we would just pluck out a guy who seemed flashy whether he fit our team or not. That was the problem. Now we seem to be settling in on just build the foundation and just get good football players, you can add flash later on when your ready. Good Job.

I agree. Good teams conduct this type of draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
NRTU smile

Exhibit A: Chaun Thompson vs Nate Orchard. Discuss. Or Veikune. Or Robiskie, etc etc.

I know which I'd rather have as a 2nd rounder.

Orchard is a football player. Our team plays football. Not athletics wink

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
you should have been here when Robiskie and Veikune was drafted. the love and praise was flowing for Mangini.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I've been here for years, just don't post much laugh

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I don't know how anyone that is charged with building a team can make such a nonsense statement.

Teams are built for balance. While they may favor offense or defense, pass or run, they do not ignore any part of the game.

Doing so makes a team one dimensional and easier to defeat.

I think I may be misunderstanding this statement a little...

Are you saying they are ignoring something?

This offseason, we had needs to address on both sides of the ball, the MOST GLARING was the 32nd ranked rush defense..not even close to any other aspect really.

So far, they have upgrade with Randy Starks, Danny Shelton and Xavier Cooper..

Next priority, we had a below average Passing game and running game.

So far for the passing game they have upgraded with Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline replacing Miles Austin and Rob Housler replacing Jordan Cameron. Obviously it is yet to be seen whether Housler was a product of the system, or he is actually a downgrade to Cameron. What we do know is that Cameron was fast becoming an injury liability and Housler certainly has Cameron's traits without the injury questions.

Running game, we upgraded a lineman with a first round player that could possibly upgrade 3 of the 5 positions on the line. After Mack's injury last season, it was painfully apparent we had NO capable backups as the line collapsed as the season wore on once he was lost for the season. Erving not only upgrades either of the right side positions, he also gives us the insurance policy needed if Mack is slow to recover from the broken leg. They also drafted the change of pace, receiving RB that was lacking on the roster that will give this offense yet another dimension lacking in year's past.

So far, the only dimension of the 4 phases (not counting special teams) was the pass defense that didn't need a lot of help with upgrades. So far, the only phase not upgraded...yep you guessed it the pass defense..

How can ANYONE argue that Farmer isn't attempting to improve this team?

Core elements were added, others upgraded. This roster, imho, is MUCH improved already over last year's roster at this point of 2014.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I could be mistaken but I suspect that the average age of the posters who like this draft is relatively older and the average age of posters who hate this draft is relatively young.

You are making me feel old thumbsdown

I understand where you're coming from. The "younger" fans are the NFL Redzone/Fantasy Football generation.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lots of good points ! With my rose colored spectacles on I agree with lots of comments and the roster breakdown by Steve and Day of the Dawg.

Draft theme? Smart, 'blue collar', high effort, high character football players. Heavy emphasis on the trenches. Controlling the line of scrimmage.

If you don't like the plan - that's fine. If your guy didn't get picked, I get that you might be miffed. But the derogatory, self serving "I'm right right right" comments that pepper these threads is nauseating. . . . I would have tried to trade up for Williams. At 12 I would have taken Parker and hoped Shelton dropped (he would not have, i read that the Saints would have taken him) ... I don't think I would have taken Brown at 19 - probably Dupree.... None of that happened.

I like that Farmer is sticking to his and Pettine's plan. Regardless of what you think of Farmer ... I see Pettine in virtually all these picks. They seem to exemplify what Pettine wants out of his football players. Dysfunction in Berea ???? Apparently not based on this draft so far. Reading between the lines I see HC and GM on the same dang page on how to build your team.

More - the plan seems to be to make the QB as easy as possible. The better the running game, the easier it will be for the QB to succeed. . . does that mean JM or McCown are guaranteed to be lights out? Of course not. Does it mean that the Browns will run the ball at will if we have atrocious QB play? Of course not ..... But as others have pointed out. Offseason QB options were extremely limited. After the Titans took Mariota - there isn't a QB to take as an immediate upgrade over what we have. . . . . so - trying to maximise the QB's chance of success with this draft is smart.

What this draft is not about - sexy, splashy, big name picks. It's not about ignoring what the players did on the football field and changing grades based on combine and pro day works. Gee - I know some of the haters would have loved it if this had been the case last year???? You know who would be in the roster if they had done this last year huh?? Maybe this is a year late on the QB front - but at least its the right thing now.

I said it elsewhere - I have no idea if these guys will work out and be starters in the NFL. I don't know whether they are going to be good, bad, great .... I do know that if the team had been built this way from 1999 - chances are we'd have had a far far better football team to watch the last 15 years.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
We have two big, young WRs on the roster. Not sure how they are developing, but Farmer must see something good in their progress. Thoughts?

Rodney Smith (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.51 - 40 yard dash):
2013 Combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rodney-smith?id=2539674
Highlights: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-sZDv0W0s4

Kevin Cone (6'3", 216 lbs, 4.41 - 40 yard dash):
1 highlight: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mNC2ev40k
Profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85465&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Last edited by Browns_D02; 05/02/15 11:29 AM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
For all of the front 7 help that they give the team, the team had a lot of front 7 help in the recent past.
Krueger, and Desmond Bryant as significant free agent signings, along with Winn, Hughes, and Armonty Bryant in the draft.

Ray Farmer, or is it Pettine, (someone from the team) has been saying on multiple occasions that there is going to be competition on the roster. How much competition do Marlon Moore, Taylor Gabriel, Travis Benjamin, or maybe another have to face, even to make the roster.

When the games start, sometimes the other team is going to get turnovers for touchdowns and early leads of 17 points or more. At that point, the run only offense is puts the team in a real disadvantage. At that SAME point, the negative point differential doesn't allow you to utilize your pass rush on D, because the other team doesn't need to pass to catch up.

So if they had a significant, field stretching, quick score opportunist, to take a lead, then there would be a scenario for wins.

: defense built to play with a lead
: offense unable to get them a lead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rodney Smith is intriquing, but I'd like to see him use his size more. Love the size, length, huge hands, but the highlights didn't really show them. Didn't really see any jump balls, contested catches, or much physicality. Not saying he can't do those things just didn't see them in those highlights. Hopefully you're right.

Fiercely Independent.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Well I have to admit that I really do not see any attempt to address the obvious needs for this team.

Needs

WR
TE
QB

Parker was passed upon yesterday
Williams and Warford would have been an upgrade.
Jalen Strong could have helped this team.
I was intrigued by Conley.

The Browns gave up a 5th to move up to Pick Cooper.

Aside from Johnson, who will compete with West and Crow, the playmakers have been ignored.

I'm not that bummed about not getting WR mainly because we still don't have a QB to get the ball to our WRs.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Maybe some of us believe the 32nd ranked run defense can best be addressed by getting an offense that can take a lead, force other teams to have to pass to catch up.

If I'm the Steelers, and I'm up 21-3, or 21-6, then 21-9, All I have to do is Run all day.

What's the downside, you're going to force me to punt and get the ball back in 3 plays?

The Browns in 2013, couldn't beat 3 teams with injuries in their secondary, if I rememeber right.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well I have to admit that I really do not see any attempt to address the obvious needs for this team.

Needs

WR
TE
QB

Early in the off season Pettine was quoted in multiple articles that the intent was to get the defense to an elite level since it was closest to being a finished product. It was all laid out pretty straightforwardly.

I'm certain I can find one or more of these articles if you'd like? The fan base was not mislead.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

Early in the off season Pettine was quoted in multiple articles that the intent was to get the defense to an elite level since it was closest to being a finished product. It was all laid out pretty straightforwardly.

If I was a defensive coach working for a franchise that fires head coaches every other year, I'd try to make sure the defense was taken care of first, too.

In the event he is searching for work next offseason, McCown can be a good excuse. The 32nd run defense can not.

I like Pettine, just keeping it real. naughtydevil

P
Legend
Legend
P
I am done questioning our FO I am going to trust them ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Your free to interpret the motives any way you wish. I'm unconcerned with the motives. What I know is they are doing what they said they would.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I could be mistaken but I suspect that the average age of the posters who like this draft is relatively older and the average age of posters who hate this draft is relatively young.

I'm 32 and love this draft. I don't think I'm old.

Legend
Legend
"Evans was the Cream of last years WRs can't envision a better rookie season. The Bucs who were actually suppose to be an up and coming team. Well so how good did they get and in the Worst Division in football oh right they were picking 1st in this draft. If that isn't testimony to what I'm saying I don't know what is."
====================================================

Apparently many GM's of the NFL disagree.

In 2014 twelve receivers were taken in the first 2 rounds. ( 5 in the first).

So far in this years draft:
9 receivers in the first two rounds ( 6 in the first)

Saying that Evans had the best year for a receiver and because the Bucs won two games does not illustrate a thing.

Who was the quarterback?

Good receivers help good quarterbacks win games.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

Needs

WR
TE
QB

I'm certain I can find one or more of these articles if you'd like? The fan base was not mislead.

Just read the dang quote/interview I posted towards the top of this thread. As I stated off of it...here's the answers to your questions

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I totally agree with this...

Originally Posted By: eotab

But all the Grayson fans - Oh we blew it for not taking that 3rd round pick....The Saints found that replacement for Brees??? Really Talking heads on the draft. Cause we know that is where you go for your next Franchise QB...come on yes Wilson, Montana...those are the exceptions.

jmho

Teams didn't want Montana because he was small. Teams didn't want Wilson because he was short. Teams didn't want Brady because he was skinny.

But I think we've learned that just because a QB is not a physical specimen doesn't mean he can't play. Those three have done pretty well for themselves without having the physical stature.

But Grayson, Hundley, etc are not passed by because they are short or any other physical concern. The concern is they lack skills, especially reading defenses/coverages at the Pro Level. Their problem is the mental aspect, not their stature as it was with Montana, Brady and Wilson.

To take a QB in later rounds just because you need a QB and you think you can develop him into your Franchise QB based simply on the fact that you've heard his name a lot leading up to the draft is nothing but wishful thinking and fools gold.

Further, to get mad because we didn't draft one of those late round "gems" and hate on draft and the GM because of it is silly as hell.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: drobs
I've been here for years, just don't post much laugh

aaah, one of the more intelligent ones with mature restraint. Quit showing off. grin

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Browns_D02
We have two big, young WRs on the roster. Not sure how they are developing, but Farmer must see something good in their progress. Thoughts?

Rodney Smith (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.51 - 40 yard dash):
2013 Combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rodney-smith?id=2539674
Highlights: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-sZDv0W0s4

Kevin Cone (6'3", 216 lbs, 4.41 - 40 yard dash):
1 highlight: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mNC2ev40k
Profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85465&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Yeah, for all you guys who are disappointed that we didn't draft a WR take a look at these players and pretend we just drafted them.

Better now?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ddubia

Teams didn't want Montana because he was small. Teams didn't want Wilson because he was short. Teams didn't want Brady because he was skinny.

Lucky for us, we have Manziel who is small, short, and skinny(ish). Maybe he'll surpass all three. *waves pom poms*

Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

: defense built to play with a lead
: offense unable to get them a lead

TL, you just keep getting better and better. grin

Good stuff.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Clearly we should pick up the Browns D/ST in fantasy this year.

Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish
"Evans was the Cream of last years WRs can't envision a better rookie season. The Bucs who were actually suppose to be an up and coming team. Well so how good did they get and in the Worst Division in football oh right they were picking 1st in this draft. If that isn't testimony to what I'm saying I don't know what is."

Apparently many GM's of the NFL disagree.

In 2014 twelve receivers were taken in the first 2 rounds. ( 5 in the first).

So far in this years draft:
9 receivers in the first two rounds ( 6 in the first)

Saying that Evans had the best year for a receiver and because the Bucs won two games does not illustrate a thing.

It illustrates that a great WR does little to increase your win total.

The Bucks were 2-14 in 2014. They had 2, count 'em 2, 1000 yard receivers. Where are the wins?

Quote:

Who was the quarterback?

Good receivers help good quarterbacks win games.

But good receivers do little to help bad quarterbacks win games.

They also had arguably the worst OL in the league.

You think they need OL players?

Instead they bring in a 1000 yd receiver from FA and draft another 1000 yd receiver. Again, where are the wins?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Lucky for us, we have Manziel who is small, short, and skinny(ish). Maybe he'll surpass all three. *waves pom poms*

You know, I think we're onto something.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
In response to:
Poster: GrimmBrown
Subject: Re: Questioning the Plan...

Looking at it like that... we're in great shape... smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
You know, I think we're onto something.

Glad you ate that Snickers bar cool

Last edited by DeisleDawg; 05/02/15 03:28 PM.
Legend
Legend
"But good receivers do little to help bad quarterbacks win games.

They also had arguably the worst OL in the league.

You think they need OL players?

Instead they bring in a 1000 yd receiver from FA and draft another 1000 yd receiver. Again, where are the wins?"

========================================================

Please what is your point?

The Bucs were a bad team?
=========================================

21 receivers were taken in the first two rounds in 2104, and 2015.

Were they drafted there to improve the teams?

Are you trying to make a point that elite receivers don't help teams win? Or, they make no difference? What?

Football is a team game. Great teams have balance. They do many things well. Last I checked passing is a large part of the game.

What happens on pass plays? Linemen block, quarterback throws, receivers catch the ball.

Would you rather a have a average receiver or a pro bowler?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: bonefish

21 receivers were taken in the first two rounds in 2104, and 2015.

Were they drafted there to improve the teams?

Uh - isn't EVERY player drafted to help improve the team?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I just have not seen a logical attempt to improve the team in areas of need.

Comments about the FA WR's and TE are do not provide any comfort.

This is as bad as the Butch Davis days, and although I normally try not to lob the bombs, I am frustrated that this team will go a second year without improving the team in an area of need, while losing one of the few playmakers on offense and replacing him with a cast off with no demonstrated level of success in the NFL.

I feel as though Farmer peed in my Wheaties this year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just have not seen a logical attempt to improve the team in areas of need.

Comments about the FA WR's and TE are do not provide any comfort.

This is as bad as the Butch Davis days, and although I normally try not to lob the bombs, I am frustrated that this team will go a second year without improving the team in an area of need, while losing one of the few playmakers on offense and replacing him with a cast off with no demonstrated level of success in the NFL.

I feel as though Farmer peed in my Wheaties this year.

Why disregard how they addressed WR and TE needs in free agency and run defense, pass rush, the secondary, and o line in the draft? The FO addressed a TON of needs in a short amount of time. They have done a lot of good work this off-season, IMO. Realistically, what else could they have done? I think people have extremely unrealistic expectations.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Bill Polian's view of where Browns are going: "They're a get-off-the-bus-and-win-the-street-fight team. I like what they're doing."

Link

Quote:
From @AdamSchefter: The Browns draft impressed people around the league. They went back to substance and productivity

Link

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tried to find it online but haven't been able to. On NFL Networks broadcast of the draft they had a fan pole showing 86% of twitter responses have a positive view of the draft.

The header for the report was #nfldraft fan approval?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Questioning the Plan...

Link Copied to Clipboard