Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
j/c

Pryor seems to have a very long stride. Anyone else notice that?

His natural "run" makes him look slow because of that - imo. I know he's fast, but will his long stride affect his route running/cutting ability?

gordon has that long striding gate and every coach he had said he has to work on his cuts on routes. always rounding them out. if he can run the go route, WR screen and crossing route starting at the LOS and catch 50% of the passes thrown his way......

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
This really is one of those times where we can't lose. If he makes it as a WR or TE or Slash, good for us. If he doesn't, we've not invested heavy in him..

Win Win

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
new time low...I know we are joining low teams like Pats Edelman n Steelers Randel El

Look if he gets it we have a hugry Calvin type WR if he doesnt, he took one of 90 Roster spot for a couple of months .

My fear now is that he doesn't make it and the Steelers pick him up and he becomes a star for them.

jmhFear

eo
He is not making the team anyway, so your roster point will make this silly fantasy academic anyway.

Legend
Legend
Gordon is very similar in that respect. They probably are planning on trying him for mostly 4, 7, 8, 9 routes like teams typically do with guys like him. That's my guess anyways.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I hope he makes it...so we can.
a. Trade Gordon when he comes back, get rid of him.
b. If we feel Gordon is totally back Mentally and Physical have bookends NO TEAM HAS!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
j/c

Pryor seems to have a very long stride. Anyone else notice that?

His natural "run" makes him look slow because of that - imo. I know he's fast, but will his long stride affect his route running/cutting ability?

Gordon seemed to look the same way, like he is running lazy but still gliding past people.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think that is the point.

The point is that long-striders are typically not good route runners. They don't cut well. They don't change direction well. They are not precise.

Pryor was successfully long-striding before Gordon was. Those of us who follow Ohio State, know that.

While that is an admirable trait in running by people, it isn't really what the WR position is about. Gordon was/is a freak. However, you don't see a ton of long-striders stick around too long at WR.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think that is the point.

The point is that long-striders are typically not good route runners. They don't cut well. They don't change direction well. They are not precise.

Pryor was successfully long-striding before Gordon was. Those of us who follow Ohio State, know that.

While that is an admirable trait in running by people, it isn't really what the WR position is about. Gordon was/is a freak. However, you don't see a ton of long-striders stick around too long at WR.

I think that you almost have to build some flexibility into your offense if you have a guy like Gordon (when he was doing great) on the field. You have to allow him to freelance a little bit, and that can really throw off the rest of the offense. It is a really delicate balancing act. A is here, B is here, C is here, and the other receiver is going to be working to get open in this general area. I remember a game last year where Austin got open in the end zone for a TD by doing a beautiful job of getting open against press by doing a great job of chopping his feet, then reversing direction, and completely losing the DB that was covering him. I cannot see Gordon doing anything like that. Gordon has different abilities,and if you throw a pass in the direction of Gordon, 12 feet in the air, there is a chance he could come down with it. He is not a guy who can use a quick step to set up a DB in a short area though.

You also have to have some degree of trust with a guy like Gordon, and until last year from game 11 or so on, that trust was justified. Then Gordon had all kinds of problems,znd lost that trust. He had one game where he was pretty effective ..... and then he seemed to regress badly.

I think that is a problem the Shanahan offense had, as opposed to the Norv Turner offense. Norv allowed some degree of freelance for Gordon, and accepted it as necessary for him. I don't believe that Shanahan did. This is probably due, in no small part,to the fact that Shanahan did not have Gordon for 10 games, and Norv only lost Gordon for 2 games, and the offense stayed fresh in Gordon's mind in 2013. That is also huge.

I think that Gordon can be a major weapon on offense, but he needs someone to hold him to the grindstone. It needs to be clear to him that he has a role, and that he needs to stay within that role ...... but for him, that role needs to be a little "looser" than the rest of the team. He is special in that he can get open seemingly at will, and just flat out run away from people. You can't take that away from him, but he also can't just do whatever he wants on the field. It's a very fine line for the coaches, and Gordon to walk.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Maybe even give him a shot at QB, if Manziel doesn't step up.
Interesting article that explains how Pryor was set up for failure with the Raiders:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2037649-what-went-wrong-for-terrelle-pryor-in-oakland

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Browns_D02
Maybe even give him a shot at QB...

Although not seeming likely at the moment, this is not out of the realm of possibility. Indeed, it may present some interesting options and also a way to keep him on the roster if he is not overly successful at WR...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Question Vers...cause I really didn't see much of Pryor, I know you are a big OSU fan as are many on this board.

Was Pryor just a glider in his runs...what I mean is did he ever break any ankles? I think if he has that natural talent he can utilize the same skill for his breaks in the routes. If he never possessed that trait (breaking ankles on his runs) then he might not be that proficient in his Ins out...his slants should be ok. Skinny Post. Pos, Corner, and Go routes.

Just don't know the kid really. Like anyone would - his physical specs are well worth the investment of a roster spot. Like many hopefully he has been humbled where he is willing to work hard at his new position and even carry a chip on his shoulder in doing so.

jmh?

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
to tab's question, he's got the stride of a thoroughbred racehorse.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He has some wiggle in his moves, but yeah, slants, flies, bubble screens, fades are what he'll probably run.

As you know, long striders struggle w/the nuances of route running. YTown mentioned earlier that Gordon had more freedom to just do his own thing two years ago and that you gotta give long striders that freedom. I don't really agree w/that, but he brings up an interesting point because you just have to know what types of routes these guys can run. Ultimately, most of them aren't that successful. Oh, and I think the problems Gordon had last year were all about him and not about scheme.

I still see Pryor [if he makes the team--and that is a big if] as a slash guy. Kick-off returns, WR where he runs some of the routes we suggested, line him up at qb on a few plays, bring him in motion and either hand it to him or use him as a decoy, etc.

I don't think he is going to develop into some big-time WR in the NFL. I think the odds of him making the team are long, but again, bringing him in was/is worth a shot. Nothing to lose.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting stuff there.

Thanks

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You peeps really get me. How many teams has this clown been on already??

Let's cut all of our QB's and WR's and TE's (which is OK with me)...
Terrelle is here!!!! saywhat

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Terry Pluto

ABOUT TERRELLE PRYOR

I've always thought Pryor should be able to do something to help an NFL team.

The former Ohio State star is not an NFL-caliber quarterback. He doesn't pass well enough. He was 3-6 in starts for Oakland in 2013. Overall, he completed 56 percent of his passes, 12 interceptions and nine touchdowns. The quarterback rating was 69.3.

No reason for optimism there.

But Pryor was effective running the ball, 576 yards in 93 carries. That's an excellent 6.7 average. In 2013, he ran for 112 yards against Indianapolis, 106 vs. Pittsburgh and 94 vs. Philadelphia. The man is a very gifted physical athlete.

The Browns say they will be looking at Pryor as a receiver, a position that he has never played. My guess is the "receiver" label will be a big tent to hold the various roles he can fill. New offensive coordinator John DeFilippo was quarterbacks coach in Oakland (2012-14) with Pryor. He knows that if you can find a way to put the ball in his hands with some room to run, he can be effective.

Pryor costs the Browns virtually nothing, as he was cut by the Bengals. He is worth a long, serious tryout in training camp.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/07/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_10.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Absolutely, as most on here believe...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
'Browns have options with Terrelle Pryor, but the practice squad isn’t one'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...squad-isnt-one/

Posted by Nick Mensio on July 13, 2015, 9:39 AM EDT

Since new Browns quarterback-turned-wide receiver Terrelle Pryor has two accrued seasons under his belt, he’s no longer eligible for an NFL practice squad, even after the league and Players Association agreed to looser eligibility guidelines prior to last season.

That doesn’t mean the Browns don’t have options with Pryor. Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer believes if Pryor shows enough as a pass catcher and on special teams, he could stick around in a roster spot designated for the No. 3 quarterback behind Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel or fill in as an extra tight end.

Pryor has already said he’s competing as a “slash” player without a real position. He’s simply trying to make it as a playmaking football player who has the ability to bring it to the house any time he gets the ball in his hands. He’ll be a gadget player in Cleveland should he make the 53-man roster.

(end)

D
Legend
Legend
D
I saw a video of him making a one handed catch, nice catch but appeared to lose footing coming outta his break on the route.

IDK, I don't think Pryor makes the team, Ill even go as far to say I don't think he makes the first wave of roster cuts.

Legend
Legend
Vers, good stuff. My question is speed. Can he outlet a secondary? Because if he is a TE candidate, I figure he lacks deep go speed. And cannot block yet.

He makes me a little curious, but not holding a lot of hope here.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
the guy burnt an entire steelers defense running the ball.

i think speed is the last thing we need to be worried about.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes thanks for answering. I know I read that but was in a hurry and didn't thank you. wink

You can still teach a strider how to run routes. Just won't be that breakdown in a chair and make the cut route running like the Hawkins and Gabriel's do so well. Moss would be a good WR to model themselves on. Wonder how much work to get better Gordon has done? I know he was always getting in shape and working out with Little another who was physically fit. I like the fact that Pryor is working out with Moss. It could strongly benefit him. Make the roster well I do like the idea of the 3rd QB even though he will get reps at WR more than or if any at QB. Lewis could be cut and Shaw still has Practice squad eligibility.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I'm kinda wondering why this is still a topic of discussion. I mean, in a few weeks, they'll all show up in camp, he'll get a shot, if he can do the job, he'll get a job, if he can't, he won't.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm kinda wondering why you would comment on it. If you don't like it, don't read it.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
You see the oxymoron here right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am sure you do.

It just seems odd when people say not to discuss football topics on a football message board. What the heck else are we supposed to do?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well we could just complain about everybody else's posts

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm always game for a Teddy Bridgewater discussion.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Connor Shaw we hardly knew you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have they cut this clown (Pryor) yet?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
I'm always game for a Teddy Bridgewater discussion.

Go to he VIKINGS board they will discuss him with you rolleyes

Last edited by PastorMarc; 07/16/15 10:56 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
But Teddy is the savior of the NFL!

V
Legend
Legend
V
You guys are soooooooo clever. rolleyes

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Had beers with an old friend Tuesday afternoon. He is a big Buckeye honk and staunch Browns fan.

He thinks the Browns will keep 7 WRs...yeah...7.

Bowe, Hartline, Gabriel, Hawkins, Benjamin, Jennings, & Pryor.

He has Mayle on the PS.

I think he's nuts sometimes...I know I'm nuts sometimes.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
My biggest question about Pryor is will he get up after taking multiple hard licks...he was a protected QB, taught to slide, avoid hits...his body looks good enough and he's close to Gordon size wise...wonder if he'll block and take a thumping.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
What's Terrelle Pryor doing to become a WR for the Cleveland Browns?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._social_feature

He is in great shape and that one handed catch (see link above) was impressive.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
What's Terrelle Pryor doing to become a WR for the Cleveland Browns?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._social_feature

He is in great shape and that one handed catch (see link above) was impressive.

3rd_and_20, nice to see who Gordon is hanging out with during his suspension too.

As much as the Browns have opportunities simply fall apart as soon as they arrive, it sure would be nice having both Pryor and Gordon be the very thing that bears fruit.

Thinking what our receiver corp could look like in the future Gordon, Pryor, Mayle, Hawkins, and Gabriel really set things up nicely. I understand a lot has to happen to make that group a reality. If...that would be one scary group to face.

Legend
Legend
It certainly could be just that, but I don't know where Gordon's head is at anymore, I really don't.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
It certainly could be just that, but I don't know where Gordon's head is at anymore, I really don't.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Terrell Pryor will be the surprise player of the NFL in 2015!!!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns claim Terrelle Pryor

Link Copied to Clipboard