Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
Just saw Riddler's posts and it appears he's saying the same sort of thing.

thumbsup Yeppers. You were just doing it waaaay more eloquently than I.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Saw on Twitter that Pett said Manziels' headset fuzzed out on a 3rd down and he called his own play (successful). If that was last year he'd have probably suggested doing shots in the huddle. That's progress right?!

#gmstrong
C
1st String
1st String
C
I'm just not seeing anything,that say's to me "Ok,this could work." Really,I'm pretty disappointed.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Chrispierce
I'm just not seeing anything,that say's to me "Ok,this could work." Really,I'm pretty disappointed.

Ditto to that. Just not seeing it working.

I'm still on the fence on him being just a decent BACKUP in this league.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

Ditto to that. Just not seeing it working.

I'm still on the fence on him being just a decent BACKUP in this league.
Oh yeah,he's not starter material at all. Still trying to outrun guys around that corner like it's college. He's got to stop doing that so much. He keeps forcing the issue,and trying to put the game on himself. Just needs to relax and let the game flow,trusting his teamates around him. He panics right away and takes off,when if he just would have waited a tenth of a second more..his man would be there. I certaintly do think this team has to realize by now,that he's much,much more effective when rolling out.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Oh yeah,he's not starter material at all. Still trying to outrun guys around that corner like it's college. He's got to stop doing that so much. He keeps forcing the issue,and trying to put the game on himself. Just needs to relax and let the game flow,trusting his teamates around him. He panics right away and takes off,when if he just would have waited a tenth of a second more..his man would be there. I certaintly do think this team has to realize by now,that he's much,much more effective when rolling out.

chris...too soon to pass judgement!

The Browns coaching staff has been working hard to change some of Manziel's bad habits and I thought we saw some improvement last night.

A long way to go and way too soon to predict Manziel's future...imo.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #985539 08/14/15 09:11 AM
C
1st String
1st String
C
What did you see that was improved? I saw all the same things from last year. Running,roll outs,overthrows,late throws,WR drops..it's all the same. We're stuck with McCown and the short pass game for now.

eotab #985541 08/14/15 09:21 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Won't say much, as it seriously just the first game of PRESEASON, but I didn't expect JF to play like that. He was getting the ball out, each time he exited the pocket I felt it was warranted.

The scramble for the TD was a great play. See man press and their backs to you with just the free safety eyes pointing towards you, you take that all day.

Pocket presence "seemed" better. There some decent things to take away, and some things he needs to continue to work on.

Legend
Legend
What did you see that was improved? I saw all the same things from last year. Running,roll outs,overthrows,late throws,WR drops..it's all the same. We're stuck with McCown and the short pass game for now.

I disagree. He had very little pass protection on most plays and had to be on the move.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

I disagree. He had very little pass protection on most plays and had to be on the move.

He played well. I am really surprised to see this criticism. He was 7 of 11 and 1 of those passes hit the receiver in the chest, 1was a knockdown on the first play and the one he just threw away after escaping pressure.

the Housler throw was the only crap throw and I wasnt very happy with the route he ran on that one either.

Johnny escaped pressure found open receivers and ran for a TD. It was a good night to see folks rip him for his play last night is nonsense.

C
1st String
1st String
C
You people can disagree all and night with me. The results are what they are.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Chris...not a thing wrong with you voicing your opinion...do understand that others may not agree with you...it the nature of a message board.

Manzile is a work in progress and the Browns are determined to develop him. DeFillippo made a comment about Manziel's athleticism and not wanting to take that away from his game. That is a fine line that Flip is attempting walk with JM..getting him to run the play, make your reads before breaking the pocket.

Throwing the ball away..that was a good choice..taking a sack at the end of the first half..that was a smart choice. When JM read the defense flowing to his right and the center of the line opening up, taking off for the goal line was a good choice on JM's part.

I don't expect miracles, but I did see Manzile make some smart decisions.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Right. And you're wrong.

If you didn't notice marked improvement over what we saw last year, then you are purposely trying not to watch the game with an open mind.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Right. And you're wrong.

If you didn't notice marked improvement over what we saw last year, then you are purposely trying not to watch the game with an open mind.

Improvement points:

He had no line protection at all... I did not see him laying on his back.

He is still struggling to see over the line, but he did not have jitter feet.

He threw mostly sharp passes. He had no starting weapons on the field with him most of the time.

overall I thought he did better than expected, miles from finished product but lots of good things.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Right. And you're wrong.

Improvement points:

He had no line protection at all... I did not see him laying on his back.

He is still struggling to see over the line, but he did not have jitter feet.

He threw mostly sharp passes. He had no starting weapons on the field with him most of the time.

overall I thought he did better than expected, miles from finished product but lots of good things.

He also made his own play call because the "headset was out." If he was asked to do that last year he would have just run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Legend
Legend
He also made his own play call because the "headset was out." If he was asked to do that last year he would have just run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I'm sure that was just a normal malfunction and not in any way a test planted by the Browns' coaching staff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

I'm sure that was just a normal malfunction and not in any way a test planted by the Browns' coaching staff.

belicheck with the drone flying over browns practice and now jamming signal. He is coming for you Pet lol

eotab #985656 08/14/15 02:22 PM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'll say this.....

I hated the pick of Manziel. I thought he was premature spoiled brat. After the two games he played and looked like a joke, it almost convinced me that he has no place in the NFL.

That being said....

I was encouraged by his poise, his command of the huddle and that he chose a good "safe" play to run in the touchdown.

I'm not completely sold on him, but there certainly were some things that made me warm up to him a little more.....

#gmstrong.
eotab #985657 08/14/15 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns QB Johnny Manziel shows growth when tech problems arise

Kevin Jones

As Johnny Manziel looked toward the sideline in Thursday’s second quarter for the play call from offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, nothing came out on the other end. His headset had malfunctioned.

A season ago as a rookie, Manziel probably would’ve called a timeout. He would’ve jogged over to the sideline. He might not have thought anything of it.

But now? Manziel grasps the offense tightly with both fists.

On the play, Manziel sorted through the playbook in the back of mind, called a play himself and executed the first down.

“That was credit to him that he just had the wherewithal to understand ‘Hey, play clock’s running and I’m not getting it, I gotta call something here.’ He went out and executed,” coach Mike Pettine said.

“We were having problems there for a few minutes,” Manziel said. “Just kind of got us in a good formation and a base play, and got a completion there. That’s going to happen sometimes. It’s not always perfect. You’ve got to think on your feet a little bit. I’m glad all of us were on the same page.”

On the night, Cleveland’s backup quarterback went 7-for-11 for 42 yards and a 12-yard rushing touchdown. By no means did Manziel play a perfect game and his completions went for an average of 3.8 yards – many of them check downs. The Redskins flushed Manziel from the pocket on a few occasions to fluster the 22-year-old.

But while his statistics may not jump off the page, Manziel did what Cleveland asked of him. And he looked much more at ease on the field.

“This isn’t my first rodeo like it was last year. It was a little bit of a whirlwind last year,” Manziel. “I don’t want to forget about the first game against Detroit (last year), but it felt a little slower, I felt a little more comfortable and I did some good things.

“I want to improve and make some more out of those drives. I don’t think we were very good on third down. It was the first one and we have got a lot of ground to build on from here. I think it was good.”

Link

Vambo #985659 08/14/15 02:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Johnny Manziel keeps touchdown celebration low-key

Pat McManamon, ESPN Staff Writer

CLEVELAND -- Johnny Manziel lived up to his word.

Manziel did not do his former trademark money sign after he scored a touchdown in the Cleveland Browns' 20-17 preseason loss to the Washington Redskins on Thursday.

Instead, Manziel clenched his fist after a 12-yard touchdown run, then went to greet teammates.

Manziel had promised after returning from a 10-week stay in rehab that he would no longer do the money sign, his patented signal at Texas A&M and as a rookie with the Browns.

Manziel's score ended a 36-yard drive that started after the Redskins fumbled the ball on a punt return. On the drive, Manziel completed throws to Brian Hartline and Isaiah Crowell to set up the touchdown.

The run was a wise decision after Washington's defense gave Manziel a gigantic opening up the middle.

The touchdown came on Manziel's second possession. He went three-and-out on his first.

Link

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

I agree and he handled it much better than he did in the 3 games last year with same poor protection.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

At this early point in the season it is good to see improvement.

Never in my mind was Manziel worthy of carrying a first round grade.

However, it is clear that he has had an mental awakening.

Preparation pays. He is much more comfortable on the field in general. Footwork shows he is getting in position to throw. For the most part he is making good decisions.

It will be interesting to see how he develops game to game.

I am encouraged.

eotab #985688 08/14/15 04:55 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I hope Manziel's first actual game experience this year is optional. As opposed to being forced in without prior expectation of playing. (ie. a McCown injury)

Vambo #985708 08/14/15 05:54 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Johnny Manziel lived up to his word.

Manziel did not do his former trademark money sign after he scored a touchdown in the Cleveland Browns' 20-17 preseason loss to the Washington Redskins on Thursday.

I'm likely in the minority as one who never had a problem with Manziel's "money sign". The way I always took it was him saying, "I'm money", when he scored.

I mean, Rogers has his "championship belt", (discount double-check), thing and no one's ever had a problem with that.

So apparently it's ok to demonstrate, "I'm the champion" but not ok to say, "I'm money".

Am I the only one who sees it that way?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll just state what I believe the appearance was to me. He seemed like he was arrogant, felt entitled and was somewhat spoiled coming into the NFL.

Now had he come out like gangbusters and performed well, I doubt many would have had an issue with it. But that wasn't the case. I believe , at least from my POV, if you wish to be a showboat, you have to earn that right by your play. You can't act like you're all that and a bag of chips when you play like the crumbs at the bottom of the bag.

It seems he got the message too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #985732 08/14/15 06:49 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

The Browns coaching staff has been working hard to change some of Manziel's bad habits

Then they will need a urine drug screen and blood alcohol test daily.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Quote:
Johnny Manziel lived up to his word.

I'm likely in the minority as one who never had a problem with Manziel's "money sign". The way I always took it was him saying, "I'm money", when he scored.

I mean, Rogers has his "championship belt", (discount double-check), thing and no one's ever had a problem with that.

So apparently it's ok to demonstrate, "I'm the champion" but not ok to say, "I'm money".

Am I the only one who sees it that way?

If it was actually a money sign, then I'd be fine with it. Manziel got the gesture from Drake. Drake uses it to symbolize smoking weed.

Most people didn't like Manziel doing it because he hadn't "earned the right."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't see it as a bad thing doing the money thing but it must have stung a lot last season getting it rubbed in his face by the Bengals players. I think that by not doing it, it puts that chapter in his life behind him and helps him stay clean(sober) that it's a good thing and another small step towards his goal

C
1st String
1st String
C

Right. And you're wrong.

Purposely? Not at all. Last year,I'm getting bashed on this board for saying "Let's give him a shot,and see what he does." Well I have given him my shot,and what I see is more of the same. Now I'm getting blowback for that too?? Loooool. Look...I didn't have any bias concerning him,nor was I invested in some big ongoing argument of "Gotcha" that soo many were.I'm looking for signs that he's a franchise QB...and I don't see any. It's just more of the same. 7 completions for a 3.8 avg = loss in this league.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw ZERO improvement. In fact, I saw SEVERE regression.
That 100 man d-line that "Text" got us looked like a bunch of stiffs.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I knew it wasn't going to work. This franchise keeps drafting D-lineman and for what? Hasn't translated to wins at all. They should shift their focus to building a powerhouse offense. The fact is,if they had one...our defense would be good enough to close the door on teams. They just get burned out,when it all rides on their shoulders every week.

eotab #985788 08/14/15 10:49 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
our propensity to ignore skill positions in the draft and buy into the whole "win in the trenches" BS will eventually cost farmer his job...we could have picked alot of skill players up early...we end up with a T who can't play T in the NFL. and 14 other lineman and generic LB's and a wr with questionable hands...The only pick I liked this year was the shelton pick, and I think he was a reach.. But we needed a guy like him in the middle because taylor sucks. I'm sick of watching an anemic offense...i loved the 2007 offense.. That is much more fun to watch then 3 quarters of keeping it close and then lose at the end.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
our propensity to ignore skill positions in the draft and buy into the whole "win in the trenches" BS will eventually cost farmer his job...we could have picked alot of skill players up early...we end up with a T who can't play T in the NFL. and 14 other lineman and generic LB's and a wr with questionable hands...The only pick I liked this year was the shelton pick, and I think he was a reach.. But we needed a guy like him in the middle because taylor sucks. I'm sick of watching an anemic offense...i loved the 2007 offense.. That is much more fun to watch then 3 quarters of keeping it close and then lose at the end.
Yep,that sums it up for me. Honestly,Farmer is reminding me of Matt Millen in Det.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
[quote]..."win in the trenches" BS...[/guote]

rolleyes

#gmstrong
eotab #985796 08/14/15 11:14 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If we can give Weeden two years to start for us...I think Manziel deserves the chance too...I was never fond of him, but I believe he deserves the same (a chance and some time)

Legend
Legend
It's just me, but I think a player should actually accomplish something in the league before developing a 'signature.'

Aaron Rogers has earned the latitude to put on a display... even if I think it looks dumb. A 20 year-old rookie who hasn't proven himself looks even dumber. But like I said, that's just me. Truth be told, I was unimpressed with Ray Lewis' pre-game and post-sack demonstrations, too. If I want to see grandstanding like that, I'll tune in to WWE.

I think the 'money sign' would bother me less if he had 12 wins and a 235 YPG history to his name... even after 2 whole seasons.

Hey- if he eventually becomes 'Johnny Franchise,' he can trot it back out. Until then, he should be using his hands to practice handling a football.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:
They should shift their focus to building a powerhouse offense

I think that's the next step. I really do.

You may have wished that they build the team in a different order of preference, but it is what it is. This team needed help everywhere, so they had to place their efforts somewhere. As soon as they committed to a plan of action, there were bound to be fans that were in favor, and fans who disagreed. You just happen to be in Camp #2. Doesn't make you wrong... but it really doesn't make them wrong, either.

I've looked at it this way: having a stacked offense and a D that can't get off the field doesn't guarantee you very many wins either. You're going to be losing in thrilling, come-from-behind shootouts, but you'll still be losing.

The D we saw Thur night will not be the D that starts the reg season. By all accounts, it has the potential to be top 10, which will keep us in games that used to be blowouts. Do that, and you have a chance every Sunday. That's pretty much what I expect for this year. I don't have a season record predix, because I don't do that.

Here's the deal, as I see it: After this season, there's only really one place left to address: impact O weapons. The rest of the team will have been built, and with some depth, as well. That's key- because it's something we've never had, even in the high-powered '07 season, with Anderson slinging it all over the place to BE, K2, Heiden and JJ. Even with all those weapons- and Jamaal Lewis running for over 1,300 yards.... we still did not make it into the playoffs.

See what I'm saying?

For me, it seems premature to say "I knew it wouldn't work," when we haven't even seen a single reg season snap yet, let alone an entire season. But that's just me. I'm not even saying I'm right... just that I understand the decisions and building plan they've established- and why.

Just another way of seeing things, I guess.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
C
1st String
1st String
C
What do you mean? '07 was our best year! That's the last time I've enjoyed a season,even if we didn't go to the playoffs. It was still a winning record,and ever since,it's been one ugly season after another. It's not fun watching this team turn TDs into FGs,and say .."Well,we almost had them that time fellas.We'll get em next year." That's not FUN AT ALL!! It's depressing and frustrating at best. Our stars are "linemen"....let that sink in,LINEMEN! I'm almost starting to think I'll soon see a offensive package,of 9 guards and 2 tackles as our TEs,called the "Farmer Pettine Set". With another package just like it on defense! We need weapons,not schemes,excuses and OC #1,234,567 who has nothing to work with.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I knew it wasn't going to work. This franchise keeps drafting D-lineman and for what? Hasn't translated to wins at all. They should shift their focus to building a powerhouse offense. The fact is,if they had one...our defense would be good enough to close the door on teams. They just get burned out,when it all rides on their shoulders every week.

chris and the negative nannies...everyone is entitled to their opinions...BUT..playing one pre-season game does not define a season!

The very first game since Dec 28th, 2014 and coaches are still "evaluating" their talent,trying different combinations, allowing many of our starters to set out for various reasons...and you and a few other's have it all figured out?

If you use the final score of the first pre-season game as a basis for your opinion, imo that is a little premature and a bit foolish.

It will take time for both the offense and defense to gel and it does not happen according to a certain schedule.

mac #985825 08/15/15 07:41 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Mac - You're not seriously suggesting we wait and let them play a few regular season games before we judge the team are you???

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Manziel Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard