Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
Originally Posted By: ddubia
just today i heard he yanked duke johnson out of practice over riding the OC.

You make it sound like he was in disagreement with the OC and so he pulled rank on him.

Pettine said they had him on a play count. Why set a count if you're only going to ignore it. Johnson reached his count so he was done for the day.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story...

you can babble any crap you want to but the fact is flip wanted him out there and pettine yanked him.

"“He was on a count. The last stretch of practice, we didn’t use him. On the last play, Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) wanted to use him and I used executive veto power and pulled Duke out of the huddle because he had sat for a little too long. He was right at his number.”"

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...b8-901897a4e35b

oooh one entire play.... sounds like a large division in the coaching staff

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
As soon as I read the words "pull" and "hammy"...
...I knew where this was- um... 'headed.'

A pulled Ham Sammich?
Hmmm, with a good BBQ sauce...

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

You make it sound like he was in disagreement with the OC and so he pulled rank on him.

Pettine said they had him on a play count. Why set a count if you're only going to ignore it. Johnson reached his count so he was done for the day.

you can babble any crap you want to but the fact is flip wanted him out there and pettine yanked him.

"“He was on a count. The last stretch of practice, we didn’t use him. On the last play, Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) wanted to use him and I used executive veto power and pulled Duke out of the huddle because he had sat for a little too long. He was right at his number.”"

where did i say there was? you and your buddy are trying to put words in my mouth. all because you dont like the way the facts sound. why is that anyway?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What facts? You implied that Pettine was a control freak and I don't think that's true.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So is like the sky dark Blue or Light Blue today ?

Last edited by waterdawg; 08/24/15 11:55 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Its a darkish light blue...or maybe a lightish dark blue.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Still too early to tell what the biggest issue is with the offense is so far.

Franchise QB aside, I'm leaning towards the Oline and RB's lack of depth and time working together. The oline isn't pass protecting or run blocking very well. I'm hoping PS-G3 shows more promise on the offense line and at RB.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

"“He was on a count. The last stretch of practice, we didn’t use him. He was right at his number.”"

And you can spin it any way you want, but he was on a count and he reached it. Why make a plan for a player and then not carry it out?

I mean, for cryin' out loud, the quote you posted spelled it out for you. I have a feeling that the only part you chose to pay attention to was the, "I used executive veto power and pulled Duke out of the huddle", while completely ignoring the reason he gave before saying that.

You know, if you tried hard enough you can make a negative out of nearly everything... oh wait!... you already do.

Dude, there are negatives and then there is building mountains out of mole hills.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
If we had a franchise QB most, if not all, of our offensive deficiencies would be hidden.

Sorry, late for the party. This ^^^ is the answer to the question/thread title.

So far he's thinking too slow, or at least did in the last game. Any real QB would be looking fine to great.

Looking forward to the next game & hopefully seeing Bowe & Duke added to the mix. I'll have to see a much quicker McCown before I go blaming Flip, O-Line & RBs. (Damn, I wish that nickname didn't make me immediately think of Weeden!)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

where did i say there was? you and your buddy are trying to put words in my mouth. all because you dont like the way the facts sound. why is that anyway?

You if you cant see it... then... well, its about par for the course.

#gmstrong

L
Legend
Legend
L
It's best to forget weeden was ever a Brown, yes.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It's best to forget weeden was ever a Brown, yes.

He was very Weedenisque last night for the 'Boys... brought back memories.

#gmstrong

L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh yeah he was a great one!

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I really like Pettine so far. Not crazy about Farmer so far.

But both are very new at their respective positions. To me, they're both works in progress. So my opinions are based on small sample sizes which could change as they evolve.

I do find it concerning that it seems everyone of our top level coaches are new at their respective positions. For this to have any reasonable expectations of quick success, it's like expecting every rookie you draft to be great picks and turn out well in a single draft class.

That really decreases the odds when you expect a first time HC, first time GM, first time DC and first time OC to all pan out.
I like this post. What follows is my opinion.

Since returning to the league, the Cleveland Browns franchise has defined the word "hapless." There are many reasons for this; high turnover in management and coaching, even ownership; poor drafting choices, mismatch between players and the constantly changing team approaches, etc. To me, the underlying problem is lack of continuity.

Trying to bring in top coaches, from HC on down, is a very hard sell. In any profession, there are jobs that help your resume, and jobs that don't, and coaching for Cleveland is generally perceived as the latter. In the first several years after Haslam bought the team, he went through 2-3 HC searches, and more searches for OC, DC, etc. He consistently watched the best candidates pass on the job offered. Being a man who built major company in a competitive industry from the ground up, he made the decision that if he can't attract the best, then concentrate on promising new talent hungry for a chance to prove themselves.

So we have a 2nd year GM, HC and DC, and a 1st year OC, and all of them in their respective positions for the first time in their careers. There is a learning curve, and mistakes are inevitable. There will be friction as the various personalities and roles gain definition. And as Pit points out, not everyone will pan out. The advantage, and what gives me hope, is that they are all learning and growing together. This has the potential to develop into something special...or not. Success won't be overnight, and there will be adjustments (for instance, Shanny wasn't a good fit.) It is unrealistic and counter productive to judge the process this early. If continuity is the biggest problem with this franchise (as I believe it is), then this process of building from the ground up has to be allowed to come to fruition. Anything else is continuing the same problem.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh yeah he was a great one!

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Jesus H.

gmstrong

-----------------

C
1st String
1st String
C
So no one is going to admit to being "Elpresador" hey? All right. Well at least admit to seeing his videos then.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This thread is exactly why coaches and players should pay no attention to the media and Internet.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
How can one make this assessment after two preseason games where players are being rotated in and out, there is no scheming of the other team in likely any fashion, there's about as vanilla and base formations as can be and the list continues.

You don't even know how or really what Flip's offense is going to be, so IMO, a bit judgmental. There are a lot of shifts going on in practice, but we've not seen any really in these preseason games. We've not seen Flip's real offense yet.

Well said.

Perfect response I think. Flip has never been an OC in the NFL so he has no record of tendencies to look at to form an opinion like this.

Seems a bit judgemental at this point.

Say this after say 6 or so games in the regular season and you would at least have something to hang your hat on.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Chrispierce
So no one is going to admit to being "Elpresador" hey? All right. Well at least admit to seeing his videos then.

I never heard of him. But went to see a video. Freakin' guy is out of his mind! I've watched Browns games with people like that around. Bitch and yell the whole game.

Funny stuff man!

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Then there are fans who simply throw out negative comments on each issue with no real thought behind it but rather think it cute to do so. Their comments add nothing to discussions. They are simply negative and probably ignorant.

I won't argue that, but man, there are so many more positive fans that are "probably ignorant" and "add nothing to the discussion" and reply to "each issue with no real thought" other than to gang-up on anyone who doesn't agree w/the majority.

I believe that your own perceptions on the current regime are clouding your views on how posters post.

Here, let's look at some of the comments we have read since the end of last season, shall we?

--I really believe Gilbert is our break-out player.

--It's different this time.

--Does anyone else think that for once we have guys who know what they are doing?

--McCown is really accurate.

--McCown will be a different back because of our great OL.

--We are like Seattle.

--We can win because we have a top 5 defense and a great ground game.

--Our WRs will be okay.

--We are not dysfunctional.

--Things are different this time.

Need I go on?

L
Legend
Legend
L
But it really is different this time - we have another OC

gmstrong

-----------------

1st String
1st String
I have watched allot of his videos. Especially after a loss. He looses his mind.

Last edited by Victor_Von_Doom; 08/24/15 08:44 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

what you saying flip did not want him out? pettine said differnt. and thats a fact. maybe i am not the one that can not read? maybe its you and the glasses?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

what you saying flip did not want him out? pettine said differnt. and thats a fact. maybe i am not the one that can not read? maybe its you and the glasses?

you need to drag yourself down that rabbit hole... I have much more important things to worry about then one play in an entire practice... have fun with it though.

#gmstrong

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Let's be nice guys.....biggest problem is continuity, JMHO, Mack, Thomas, G experiment...and our WRs been out lots...and DBs....my vote is lack of continuity...GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

you need to drag yourself down that rabbit hole... I have much more important things to worry about then one play in an entire practice... have fun with it though.

no tex you have to read everything. all started with this.

Quote:
Quote:
Why else does Pettine make it a priority understanding what the offense is doing this year? Supposedly he knows Flip. Yet he feels it is a must attending offensive meetings and study detail.

guess he doesnt trust flip?

yea i said trust flip with the ?.

then i made a smart a...coment becaue i thought anyone with half a brain could follow what i was thinking.

Quote:
Couldn't be that Pettine realizes one of his own shortcomings so is working to better understand the "other side of the ball". Couldn't be that he's striving to become a better HC. Couldn't be that he feels comfortable with Jim O'Niel and feels he can take this opportunity to become a more complete HC.

Couldn't be anything positive.

Why is every little thing met with suspicion and doubt?

well.... we are the browns thats why.....

then i expanded on my thoughts because some people are just to stupid to put 2 plus 2 together.

Quote:
very simple and basic. he learned that you can trust no one last year. farmer hammer that home. so now he wants to be informed about everything. is that a good thing? could be but there is such a thing as spreading your self too thin too. just today i heard he yanked duke johnson out of practice over riding the OC.

and then all every one said was about the i heard he yanked duke johnson out of practice over riding the OC. wich is a fact.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

and then all every one said was about the i heard he yanked duke johnson out of practice over riding the OC. wich is a fact.

Johnson was on a pitch count, which is also a fact that was explained by Pettine before he tongue-in-cheek mentioned his "executive veto power".

But the only fact you saw was "executive veto power" which you turned into "yanked" and "over riding the OC" as if the HC over riding an OC in a practice session in favor of player saftey and sticking to the plan, (pitch count), is unheard of. Couple that with your previous query, "guess he doesnt trust flip?", and they add up to an insinuation that there may be trouble between the HC and the OC. A thought that can only be arrived at if you're twisting the facts in an effort to build a negative where there is none.

It's what you do.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Need I go on?

No, and I'm certain you left out a plethora of similar comments/statements.

From my perspective, those positive comments, regardless how unfounded, are short and positive at the least. They come from a mindset which is excited, encouraged and always hopeful for their team which is easier to hear from a fan than the short, negative comments which are just as unfounded yet are seemingly deliberate and obstinate in both their brevity and intent to turn a non-issue into a bad thing.

If I were so inclined to name names, which I'm not, I could spit out at least a half-dozen posters who offer nothing else.

#gmstrong
C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: Victor_Von_Doom
I have watched allot of his videos. Especially after a loss. He looses his mind.
That guy is a certified nut!!. The best is when he flips out at the beeping sound in his car!!!! Loooooooooool

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I read criticism against this offense some of it justified. Did anyone watch the Bengals and Bucs? I know it is preseason. Bengals are totally out of sync. Penalties and mental mistakes everywhere.

One thing I give kudos to Flip. Offense, at the very least, is organized and disciplined. It may fall apart come regular season. If Browns offense looked as disarray as Cincy, I have some serious reservations toward any success.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just a general reply;

Its preseason folks. The ravens and Bengals made our O look like the greatest show on Turf. Steelers Defense isnt scaring anyone. In this 3rd preseason game, you get a better idea of what you have. Should get at least a half of our starters, the coaches do a slim version of a game plan. (still vanilla but its more Buc specific).

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I won't argue that, but man, there are so many more positive fans that are "probably ignorant" and "add nothing to the discussion" and reply to "each issue with no real thought" other than to gang-up on anyone who doesn't agree w/the majority.

I believe that your own perceptions on the current regime are clouding your views on how posters post.

I get what you are saying Vers... but by the same token, there are negative posters who post while adding nothing to the conversation... He sucks, we suck, they suck, that sucks, we're going to suck...

And I could come up with a list similar to yours such as..

- Mack's not that good anyway, we should let him walk.

- Haden isn't even in the top half of CBs

- Dansby is a downgrade from DQ

- Manziel is a lost cause who will never learn... (Yea, the jury is still out on this one. tongue )

And some of the things on your list, specifically...

Quote:
--It's different this time.

--Does anyone else think that for once we have guys who know what they are doing?

--We can win because we have a top 5 defense and a great ground game.

--Our WRs will be okay.

--Things are different this time.

Still have not been proven false...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
just a general reply;

Its preseason folks. The ravens and Bengals made our O look like the greatest show on Turf. Steelers Defense isnt scaring anyone. In this 3rd preseason game, you get a better idea of what you have. Should get at least a half of our starters, the coaches do a slim version of a game plan. (still vanilla but its more Buc specific).

I think it's time to throw a few sprinkles on top.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
No, it's not about fantasy football at all. He made a comment about how offense won't be putting up gaudy numbers. He did this by mentioning fantasy football. Then a few posters saw the word fantasy next to the word football, and went bananas.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I was hoping that once the real football started that this poop would stop. I was too optimistic.

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Is everyone in accordance that Farmer could have done more with this offense in the offense?

I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Off season

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Is everyone in accordance that Farmer could have done more with this offense in the offense?

Yes, but most other teams could have done more as well. This is not a Farmer issue, this is a "can't do everything in one off-season" issue. If we come out of the off-season, assuming Farmer is still around, with the lack of of playmakers we currently have I will be severely disappointed. There is also the Josh Gordon pipe dream. . .

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
"can't do everything in one off-season" issue

you mean 2 offseasons right?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Biggest problem with the offense?

Link Copied to Clipboard