Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Also, I haven't seen anyone mention the penalties in this thread. What the hell was going on with that?

They definately were not going our way. I hate when holding calls negate a long run. Today it happened with frequency.

They were not going our way because we were committing penalties.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Good point. I thought that drive by the Jets right before the half was HUGE!

They flashed a stat about how bad our defense was last year on the final drive of each half. Were we last?

I think people on this board seriously overrate this defense.

That was the Jets offense led by Fitz! Seriously?

That's what I meant about the smoke up the butts. I think these guys eat up the hype, and expect things to be easy. They are definately not as good as people think. I kind of wonder about the scheme also. Playing prevent, and still allowing big gains, it is maddening.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Good point. I thought that drive by the Jets right before the half was HUGE!

They flashed a stat about how bad our defense was last year on the final drive of each half. Were we last?

I think people on this board seriously overrate this defense.

That was the Jets offense led by Fitz! Seriously?

That's what I meant about the smoke up the butts. I think these guys eat up the hype, and expect things to be easy. They are definately not as good as people think. I kind of wonder about the scheme also. Playing prevent, and still allowing big gains, it is maddening.

The pass defense was very good last season. It was probably going to regress this year. We just had to hope the run defense would improve to the point where it wouldn't matter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
By the way did anyone else think the hit on Josh was Helmet to helmet ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
By the way did anyone else think the hit on Josh was Helmet to helmet ?

He got hit in the head by another player's head, but it was not a penalty.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I am usually an optimist but after today I got nuthin. Maybe I will watch Draft Day again and enjoy Seattle trading with us for Bo Callahan.

I am depressed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The player led with his Helmet , yes ? .. I thought it was a penalty when I saw it ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cooper was our only pass rush all preseason and he was inactive. Brilliant.

the Good
What happened before the flags.

The bad
The result of the momentum loss the flag created

The Ugly
No passion on the d side of the ball.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
I am usually an optimist but after today I got nuthin. Maybe I will watch Draft Day again and enjoy Seattle trading with us for Bo Callahan.

I am depressed.

Nothing is more depressing than the horrible Draft Day movie.

Legend
Legend
I too was shocked that Cooper was inactive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
The player led with his Helmet , yes ? .. I thought it was a penalty when I saw it ..

McCown was a runner, not considered a defenseless player. Hard to flag a player for hitting a guy in the head when he is flying head first right at you.

Legend
Legend
The good: It's football season

The bad: It's football season

The ugly: I golfed like a Brown this morning.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok , so isn't flying illegal in Football , lol .. You have to agree with me about somptin .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good...

Benji

Lee and Coons.

Bad

The Browns still cannot stop the run. It's not like they did not know that the Jets would run the ball. That really was the game.

Manziel looked better, but I am not sure I wanted to know that. We may be on the third QB soon.

Ugly

I am pretty upset about Cooper and Biggs not being active. Orchard has a back issue. Bowe is a 4 four letter word.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The ugly: I golfed like a Brown this morning.

LOL.. but isn't it a good thing to have a low score in golf ? smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns Postgame Scribbles about Johnny Manziel, no running game, dumb penalties: Terry Pluto

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook after their 31-10 loss to the New York Jets:

1. What if they can't run the ball this season? It's too early to write that in ink. But the thought crossed my mind a few times as Isaiah Crowell gained only 20 yards in 12 carries. It was a Ben Tate-like performance, how Tate performed in his final five games with the Browns when he couldn't average 2.0 yards per carry.

2. In the preseason, the Browns didn't run the ball well. They averaged 3.1 yards as a team, and that was enhanced by quarterbacks Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown and Thad Lewis running for 65 yards in 12 carries. Crowell gained a mere 47 yards in 17 rushing attempts. Terrance West was not much better, gaining 113 yards in 31 carries.

3. It didn't look like there were many holes for the backs in the preseason, and that was true in Sunday's loss to the Jets. Browns quarterbacks Manziel and McCown carried the ball eight times for 58 yards and one McCown concussion. The running backs had 46 yards in 20 attempts. The Jets ranked No. 3 against the run last season, and their defense looks superb once again. But is that an excuse for the Browns running game to look utterly hopeless?
It didn't look like there were many holes for the backs in the preseason, and that was true in Sunday's loss to the Jets.

4. The Browns have to establish some type of running game, or their quarterbacks will have no chance. Yes, the Jets were programmed to stop the run. Most teams will approach the Browns that way. A good offensive line should open some holes. They haven't done it in the preseason or Sunday. That bothers me. The Browns longest run by a back was 8 yards.

5. The offensive line was flagged for six penalties. Alex Mack (personal foul, holding) and Mitchell Schwartz (false start, illegal formation) had two each. John Greco (false start) and Joel Bitonio (holding) also were flagged. That tells you the Browns offensive line was having a hard time blocking the Jets. Being anxious can lead to false starts. Being overwhelmed physically can lead to holding. Joe Thomas was the only starter on the line not penalized.

6. The most encouraging thing about the first half for the Browns was how it was clear Manziel was mentally into the game -- and prepared to come in. Hard to imagine that he ever thought it would be in the second quarter of the opener, but Manziel looked prepared and poised in the first half.

7. His 54-yard pass to Travis Benjamin was a bit underthrown. But Benjamin had sprinted so far past the Jets defense that he could wait a step, make the grab -- and score the touchdown. A big part of the play was that Manziel knew Benjamin was the open man. Just as he did on his first pass, a 13-yard completion to tight end Jim Dray.

8. Manziel was 4-of-6 passing for 94 yards in the first half. He wasn't sacked, no turnovers. In the second half, the Browns kept giving up points. The running game was four flat tires. The Jets just unloaded on Manziel. He made a poor throw to Brian Hartline, leading to an interception. He was sacked three times, fumbled twice. He looked like so many other quarterbacks over the years, frazzled and trying to play from too far behind. That's not a harsh criticism of Manziel, it's just a fact of what happened in the second half when the Browns coaches seemed to make no adjustments to the Jets defense.
Get Flash Player
Browns' Joe Thomas on the loss of Josh McCown to concussion Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas talks about the loss of quarterback Josh McCown to a concussion on the first drive of the season opening 31-10 loss to the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015. Dave Andersen, Northeast Ohio Media Group

9. It was so discouraging to watch McCown take a risky run trying to score a touchdown. Over and over, the Browns had been telling him not to take those chances. He took three big hits in a preseason game against Tampa Bay. If he throws the ball away, the Browns would have been in great shape to kick a field goal on their opening drive. Or if he slides, he still is in the game and the Browns get a field goal.

10. As I mentioned in my column about the game, Coach Mike Pettine defended McCown's dive for the end zone that led a fumble and his concussion. Thomas thought McCown needed to think about self preservation. Thomas praised Manziel for being ready to come in, but he also talked about how discouraging it is to lose your starting quarterback on the first drive of the regular season.

11. That first drive is what the Browns want this year. It covered 90 yards in 17 plays, chewing up more than nine minutes on the clock. It appears John DeFilippo's offense contains a lot of throws to tight ends. Nine of the 32 passes went to the three tight ends. Two more went to fullback Malcolm Johnson. Travis Benjamin caught all three passes thrown in his direction, totally 89 yards. He returned a punt for 10 yards. He played as he did in training camp, very impressive.

12. That Andy Lee can sure punt, averaging 60 yards in two attempts. So along with Benjamin, there's a positive on this very bleak day for Browns fans.

13. Not only was the Browns defense run over for 154 yards on the ground, they had no sacks and only one quarterback hit. Yes, three of New York's touchdowns came off turnovers. But the Browns defense could have kept them out of the end zone and forced field goals. I expected more from the secondary, and the defense in general.

14. Only once last season did Browns have 12 penalties in a game. They had 12 Sunday. Their next highest was 10. So we'll see if the Browns do correct some of these costly mistakes. Linky dinky

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The Good:
Our Kickers and due to the fact I'm laid off...I don't have to go in tomorrow and get trash from the Bungle Fans.

Bad/Ugly: Pretty much the last 3 quarters.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Good: We will get the first pick in the 2016 draft.

The Bad: Another regime change in 2016.

The Ugly: Our uniforms.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good: Benji, Hartline, Lee, Gipson's INT, McCown's drive, JM's improvement, pass protection on occasion, Duke Johnson showing promise.

Bad: Drops by Dray, Housler, Hawk & Gabriel, coaching & lack of preparation, run blocking, run game.

Ugly: Tiurnovers, penalties, pass rush, Haden, Run D, secondary, injuries to McCown & Soloman, McCown's complete lack of sense, Manziel's ball security, my mood, Pettine's lack of fire, team's lack of will, the score, the future of this team, orange pants.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
oh and another thing, how many FREAKING TIMES are we going to let the opposing team drive the length of the field RIGHT before the end of the half?

How many more games do we have?

The good...
- Kickers
- QB play (outside of Manziels fumbles)

The bad...
- Nothing I can think of

The ugly...
- Everything else
-- Run blocking
-- Pass rush
-- Penalties
-- Turnovers
-- Dropped passes
-- Run defense
-- Heart

It's honestly hard to even break down most individuals when pretty much every unit looked that bad.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The good : There were no season ending injuries. Lee avg 60.5 yds

The bad : We have a Pro Bowl left tackle and the run plays went mostly to the right side.

The ugly : 4 lost fumbles.. we were up 7-0 then it got ugly..

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The Good: I can't even really feel bad about it anymore. I used to take the pain and frustration into Tuesday or Wednesday. Now I'm just numb and apathetic.

The Bad: The Cleveland Browns

The Ugly: The Cleveland Browns

I think I'm actually shaking my Brownoholism.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There is no point in my repeating all the valid points in the previous posts.

What I will say is, if we don't win one of the next two games we might not win one the entire season!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No... you can't do that... at this point what makes this team worth anything is the fans... DAMN GREAT FANS !!! be pissed.. be angry... Be disgusted.. be a fan !

I'm pissed I'm angry I'm disgusted... and I'm going to the game Sunday against doctors orders.

Be a Brownoholic that's who you are... that's what makes being a Browns fan special... No matter how bad the team is... being with other Brown fans and tailgating is why the Browns are the best damn fans in the land..

Okay Brownoholic .. lets have a drink now.. smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Good:

--Taylor Gabriel played good for most of the game. Good acceleration coming out of cuts.

--Benji really has progressed. He's fast.

--JM looked better than last year.

--Dansby made one real nice stick.

--Hartline's catch, even though I don't think he was the intended receiver. LOL

--Gipson played well accept for getting sucked too far outside on one play.

--Pass blocking was good.

--The kicker did okay.

--Robertson made a few good plays.

The Bad:

--McCown is McDumb. I love his guts, but he takes way too many big hits. He even did this in preseason and I remember Pet pointing to his head, as in---be smart. He was lucky he wasn't killed on his first scramble. He took a huge hit. That was before the fumble.

--JM has to protect the ball.

--Run blocking was putrid.

--No challenge on Marshall's catch.

--Run defense sucked.

--The great, revamped DL was terrible. Almost ugly. Meder looked fat and slow.

--Did Cooper or Orchard even play?

--Outside contain sucked again. Kirskey doesn't have a clue on that part of the game.

--Zero pass rush from that great DL and even our LBers.

--Our TE's dropped 4 passes. Glad we cut Winn for that.

--Gabriel dropped a huge pass.

--Hawkins is a one-trick pony.

--Haden got torched.

--Gipson getting stripped. But, at least he covered someone. I read somewhere where a poster blamed him for the loss......turning point of the game. LMAO

--Poyer sucks in coverage. Glad he is playing lights out.

--Did the other preseason wonder play? Desir?
--Glad Pet ran such a soft camp.

--Duke Johnson was dynamic. Not.

The Ugly:

--We had double digit penalties and 5 turnovers. Undisciplined team led by a weak coaching staff.

--Those were the ugliest uniforms I have ever seen. Too much orange. GAG!!!!

--We got killed by the freaking Jets, who are one of the worst teams in football.

--Thinking about listening to all the excuses from all the homers and argue that I am only critical because I "hate Farmer." sick

Good point about Winn. smile

Your post about says it all so..... Peace

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

No... you can't do that... at this point what makes this team worth anything is the fans... DAMN GREAT FANS !!! be pissed.. be angry... Be disgusted.. be a fan !

I'm pissed I'm angry I'm disgusted... and I'm going to the game Sunday against doctors orders.

Be a Brownoholic that's who you are... that's what makes being a Browns fan special... No matter how bad the team is... being with other Brown fans and tailgating is why the Browns are the best damn fans in the land..

I've been a Browns fan since I was 5 years old. I actually saw Leroy Kelly play. THAT was a running back. I've been through Phipps, RR88, the drive, the fumble, the move, the return.... and frankly I'm numb. I continue to watch... but I don't ever expect a championship. Hell I don't think we're likely to even see a good team for a long long time. We draft too poorly and hire to stupidly.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That sure was the good old days.. and being at Municiple Stadium.. That's what made me a fan.. I'm 54 and I would say honestly I don't know what age I was like you maybe 5 6 or 7... when I understood and loved the game... but I was young..

Thats cool you have been a fan that long

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The good:

- Big Play Barnidge continues to catch everything thrown his way. Most underrated TE in the league.

- Malcolm Johnson FB made quite a few nice blitz pickups allowing completions.

- The uniforms. I love them. I'm biased cuz orange is my favorite color, but I just feel like we finally look like a team out there and not just all white.

The bad:

-Team preparedness: this is Mike Pettine's one most important job and he's not doing it, yet.

The ugly:

-The abuse this team puts us through. It's like they're sadistic. They do the dubmest stuff any fans sees they shouldn't and it always costs the game. It's like watching the Twighlight Zone every week.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Good

-Johnny's TD throw to Benji
-a few other Johnny throws
-Andy Lee
-Mingo actually made a few plays
-Malcom Johnson made a few catches and then we didn't see him the rest of the game
-Congrats to Travis Coons on making his first field goal, and also having to kick 3 straight XP's because this team loves penalties

Bad

-Our run defense. 4.3 Per rush is not good enough.
-Josh McCown's decision making
-Gipson allowing Marshall to make a key play by ripping the ball from his hands
-Our running backs. I won't put them in the ugly section, because the people that are supposed to be blocking didn't do a very good job.
-Johnny fumbling the ball. I'm not going to bury him for that because he was trying to make something happen, because the team was falling apart. But secure the ball. He will learn. I thought the mistakes he made today were correctable for the most part

Ugly

-Run blocking. Whatever scheme we're trying to shoe-horn in looked awful. Jets defendersw were in the backfield almost as soon as the ball was being handed off.
-Penalties. Probably cost us the game. How many 3rd and 10-15+ plays did we have today? You had 2 awful red zone penalties that basically screwed you.
-Joe Haden. He got abused. Anyone else notice a trend of him not having a good start every year. Everyone rails on him. He comes out and plays pro bowl level. Then he seems to get too comfortable again and has an awful game. I've noticed it over the last 3 years or so. Does he have a problem getting motivated? I don't buy the whole Marshall just being too big and physical, because we've seen him have great games against big receivers like AJ Green and Calvin Johnson. He wasn't good.
-

R
Legend
Legend
R
Joe Haden is the most infuriating player in the history of the Browns.

Legend
Legend
The Good.... The game is over
The Bad.... The game started
The Ugly.... everything in between the good and the bad.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good:

-McCown before getting injured. I think he managed a 17 play drive pretty well actually.

-JM I thought looked pretty good for the most part. I thought in the 3rd when things were getting rough his discipline was starting to break down, but he mentally recovered. Having said that, I still don't think he's quite ready for the starting job just yet.

-Dansby laid the friggin wood on that awesome goal line hit!

-Early on the defense I thought did well keeping the Jets from 3rd down conversions

-One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, but Flip's game plan. I actually thought the play calling was pretty solid. Again, a 17 play drive and at least for the 1st half our 3rd down percentage was pretty dang good.

Bad:

-I hope this game was a real gut check for the O-Line. The pass blocking I think was overrated and was greatly helped out by McCown and Manziel's mobility. Maybe our Vets got too much time off this preseason.

Ugly:

-O-Line was absolutely horrid in run blocking. It looked disjointed at best. They couldn't get any push, allowed the Jets to get too much penetration too often. They didn't look like a veteran line in the least bit.

-D-Line... no presuure... no sacks...

-LB's.. no outside contain

-DB's.. again, maybe too much time off for the vets? they looked slow, rusty.

-Whitner.... after he wussed out and tried to bump I think it was Ivory on the 1yrd line instead of making the tackle.. as far as I'm concerned he can STFU about who should be on this roster. Not a very good game by him. I'd almost rather of had T.J. Ward back there.. and he's suspended!

My hope is that this game was a gut check, not only for the O-Line, but for everyone all around. I do think Flip called a fairly good game. I do agree with others that the team let Manziel down vs. the other way around. Hindsight says McCown running for the TD was a dumb decision, but considering no one else was giving them a spark, I cant say as I blame him for trying.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
no presuure... no sacks...

No sacks...that is embarrassing !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
defense played like they had no sacks yesterday.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
no presuure... no sacks...

No sacks...that is embarrassing !

Truth.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
defense played like they had no sacks yesterday.

No sacks = No sacks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
GOOD: Andy Lee is a darn good punter. Consistently drove the Jets back.

BAD: Both lines were terrible. I'm tired of hearing about Joe Thomas and Alex Mack. Both are terribly over-rated.

UGLY: The lack of playmakers on this team. Ray Farmer sure looks like a moron for not investing in WR's, TE's and RB's.

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Good: We have a team in Cleveland still
Bad: Its the same crappy team weve had since 99
Ugly: our uniforms

Legend
Legend
--Gipson getting stripped. But, at least he covered someone. I read somewhere where a poster blamed him for the loss......turning point of the game. LMAO

Tashaun Gipson

On the forced fumble and recovery by WR Brandon Marshall…

He made a good play. At the end of the day, the only thing that was on my mind was to put the offense in good field position. He made a veteran move. I can’t tip my hat enough to him. I think that play changed the game. An interception in the red zone, we could have had the ball back up 7-0, but instead they score. That was a huge turning point. I can’t let that happen. That was poor ball security on my part. But at the end of the day, that’s football. They are going to make plays, and we are going to make some too.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

I've been a Browns fan since I was 5 years old. I actually saw Leroy Kelly play. THAT was a running back. I've been through Phipps, RR88, the drive, the fumble, the move, the return.... and frankly I'm numb. I continue to watch... but I don't ever expect a championship. Hell I don't think we're likely to even see a good team for a long long time. We draft too poorly and hire to stupidly.....

Ohhh, nobody get me wrong, I'll still watch. And still follow every move in the on and off-seasons for the rest of my life. Will actually still get a little excited for the draft.

But there is NO amount of ugliness that will ever take me by surprise with this team.

And there is no way in HELL this franchise gets a cent of my money. They will have gotten it right and KEPT it right for a good while before that ever happens again.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Jets 31 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Link Copied to Clipboard