Thread Like Summary
dawglover05, OldColdDawg, oobernoober, PerfectSpiral, Swish
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by superbowldogg
superbowldogg
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-n...hy-house-speakership-10-03-23/index.html

35 min ago
Republicans considering quitting bipartisan group after Democrats voted to oust McCarthy
From CNN's Melanie Zanona

Republicans on the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus are considering quitting the group “en masse” after Democratic members voted to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker, a GOP member said.

The potential blow-up of the group is just the latest sign of the fallout and fury following the historic removal of the speaker.

Some context: Centrist Democrats on the Problem Solvers Caucus informed their Republican colleagues in the group that they would not be saving McCarthy earlier Tuesday, according to multiple sources.

It was one of McCarthy’s last potential lines of defense to try to keep his position.

One GOP member told CNN that the Democratic members of the bipartisan group "only want problem solvers to work when they are in majority.”

Republican presidential candidates weighed in Tuesday on the historic vote to remove Rep. Kevin McCarthy as Speaker of the House of Representatives.

The vote to vacate was 216-210 with eight Republicans supporting the motion to remove the California lawmaker from the speakership.

No House speaker has ever before been ousted through the passage of a resolution to remove them.

The fight over the speakership marks a major escalation in tensions for a House GOP conference that has been mired in infighting — and it comes just days after McCarthy successfully engineered a last-minute bipartisan effort to avert a government shutdown.
Liked Replies
by oobernoober
oobernoober
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Let me preface what I'm going to say by putting this down first....

None of this is possible without GOP being the dumpster fire it is right now. None of this is possible without McCarthy somehow being regarded as a turd by literally everyone he works with (not an easy thing), but yet somehow being pushed to the front of the Speakership line.

But something I feel that's lost in the noise is the fact that those GOP hardliners (Gaetz and co.) would not have been able to oust KM without a unanimous vote from Dems. This historic black eye on the House (and the ensuing chaos) is as much on Dems as it is on the wackadoos (if not moreso).

Honestly... what am I missing here?

Stop. This isn’t on the Dems whatsoever

Not what I'm trying to say at all. There are like a hundred different things that, had they gone even slightly differently, would've prevented this from happening. It's just kinda weird that the last thing that happened really isn't getting all that much discussion. This was a strategic move by the Democrats (vs rampant incompetence on the other stuff).
1 member likes this
by dawglover05
dawglover05
I think they were playing the Vegas odds on this one. I think they looked back and saw it took 15 votes to get McCarthy in, who was the only person who could even sniff getting both the traditionals and the MAGA wing to vote for him. The only other person who I think can even come close to that is Scalise, but to your point, if they end up with someone like Jordan, without any drama, then yes, I think they will regret it, as unlikely as that scenario could be (crossing my own fingers). Sadly, off the top of my head, I can't think of one Republican who'd actually vy for the spot that would be better than McCarthy, and McCarthy was beyond horrific.

I'm guessing they placed their bet on the likelihood that the R side will look like a circus, and it will devolve into a Govt shutdown on 11/17, and that they'll piss off just a ton of the moderate voters, which I think is probably the odds favorite, but not the guarantee, to your point.

Side note - 11/17 is the Friday before Thanksgiving. I may end up getting mandatory time off the week of Thanksgiving, without having to take leave. Thanks Matt Gaetz! laugh
1 member likes this
by Jester
Jester
Originally Posted by Swish
Maybe the Republican voters can answer the question as to why they continuously pick horrible leaders and are so divided amongst themselves.

Bonus points for not using the words ‘democrats’ ‘the left’ and ‘liberals’.

Biden - Does that count aas "democrats"?

Okay then, umm, illegal immigrants
Yay! bonus points for me tongue
1 member likes this
by Swish
Swish
As I’ve always said, the ultimate problem with the republicans and their voters is that they don’t even like each other, never mind the rest of the US.

there is what, 3-4 distinct factions within the GOP? And every single time when the chips are on the table, they take turns C-blocking each other and self-destructing. I mean, this is embarrassing. The GOP has proven since the 200’s Bush era that they have no idea how to govern, only point fingers. They’re so busy criticizing the Dems for the policies that get passed despite not having much of any policy ideas of their own. They say no such much, they just said no to each other just to prove a point.

I’m not sure what that point is, because I’m not sure they know the point of all of this either. Just block and obstruct until…..what exactly?

All that, and there’s still McCarthy, a slim ball through and through. Literally, can not be trusted for anything. What is a man worth if he can’t be trusted at his word? His values are literally more fluid than a member of the LGBT. Oh yea, another group of people republican voters hate and isolate from.

I can’t imagine being a republican official or republican voter. That’s a lot of individuals and groups of people they have to hate and isolate from at the same time. A self-fulfilling prophecy, like they actively want the end times to come.
1 member likes this
by PerfectSpiral
PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by EveDawg
It doesn't matter. They voted to oust him. They did not have to vote that way, but they chose to. Typical libtards trying to avoid owning their actions.

We do this s just to p you o. rofl
1 member likes this
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
And that's the sad part of your post. Even after we cast our vote for the best candidate available to us, many of us still often times feel yucky after casting our vote. Somehow that has to change.
1 member likes this