DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: 86hunter Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:01 PM
The Rumor mill is flying high and mighty with the Baker Mayfield is being traded and shopped by the Browns, How much of this is true? Is Baker truly on the market?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:04 PM
We are meeting with DeShaun Watson. That tells you that if a big upgrade is available at QB they are going to take a swing. The real question is how will Baker Mayfield receiver this information. His head coach and general manager are meeting with a different player to play his position. I wouldn't think that foes over too well.

My guess is that we move on from Baker even if we don't get Watson. I would also guess that we could get a third round pick for him from a QB needy team. We would then sign a QB like Marcus Mariota and/or trade for a QB like Gardner Minshew.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:22 PM
I think the Browns are after Watson and Baker was told by Berry.

However, he told him we plan to talk to him and the Texans. "You are the starter unless we sign him."

Baker knows the score. He knows he is on a one year deal. Nothing changes for him. His plan is to be as good as he can be.

Let the rest happen.

If Watson goes to another team. Baker is the starter.

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:26 PM
Getting a 3rd round pick for Baker and signing Mariota or Minshew would be really dumb. Neither has the ceiling Baker has.

Getting Watson - I understand even if I don't like it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Getting a 3rd round pick for Baker and signing Mariota or Minshew would be really dumb. Neither has the ceiling Baker has.

Getting Watson - I understand even if I don't like it.

I’m only saying that if the bridge has been burned. Obviously keep him if you can.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:34 PM
If we lose out of Watson the FO needs to turn attention to Jimmy G.
Posted By: 86hunter Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:37 PM
I like the Jimmy G Idea
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:37 PM
Hopefully the bridge is not burned. Chances of getting Watson seems a 1 in 4 or one in five shot at very best. Putting aside any personal opinion of his legal woes, if the Browns went hard after Watson, knowing they have a slim chance of getting him while also knowing there was a high chance of burning any bridge with your current QB who has potential to be a top 10 QB based on what he has already done when healthy ... that'd be dumb also.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by 86hunter
I like the Jimmy G Idea

Hell no. A healthy Jimmy G showed the world what he is this year. There is a reason he won't be a 49er next year.
Posted By: 86hunter Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:41 PM
Mayfield also showed the world this past year! We have most of the pieces in place to finally make a run at it, Mayfield scares me!
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:44 PM
I just heard an interview on Bull & Fox with Brown's voice, Jim Donovan. For the first time, I now believe that Mayfield is finished in Cleveland, regardless of the teams' pursuit of Watson. Donovan's tone and tenor when asked about current events was not what I would expect from him. Over the years, listening to announcers like Donovan and Tom Hamilton with the Indians, I have always thought you could tell when a player was on the outs based on what the announcer is willing to say about them. Announcers are PR mouthpieces for teams and when they go negative on a player its my opinion that its because they have been turned loose by their masters to spill the party line.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:44 PM
If I were Baker I would certainly refuse to play for the Browns at this juncture in public. Make it national headlines. That would drive the price down on what the Browns could get for me. Treat me like crap and lie to me and that's exactly the way I would treat you.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:48 PM
The Rumor mill is flying high and mighty with the Baker Mayfield is being traded and shopped by the Browns, How much of this is true? Is Baker truly on the market?

Every single player in the NFL is always on the market. Yet you point out Baker why??????????
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:49 PM
IMO, that would be very un-Baker of Baker. I think it's more likely that he returns to his earlier form (just before injury) and THEN snubs the Browns. That would be more his MO (IMO, of course).
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:50 PM
Mayfield also showed the world this past year! We have most of the pieces in place to finally make a run at it, Mayfield scares me!

Yes - Baker showed the world what a guy with a broken humerus, a torn labarum , wearing a harness the size of Rhode Island will do in the NFL. I think he played at the same level and other QB with similar restraints would have played. But you go ahead and judge him on that. Very smart.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:51 PM
I like the Jimmy G Idea

Hell no. A healthy Jimmy G showed the world what he is this year. There is a reason he won't be a 49er next year.

The problem with Jimmy Garoppolo is that there is no healthy Jimmy Garoppolo.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dave
I just heard an interview on Bull & Fox with Brown's voice, Jim Donovan. For the first time, I now believe that Mayfield is finished in Cleveland, regardless of the teams' pursuit of Watson. Donovan's tone and tenor when asked about current events was not what I would expect from him. Over the years, listening to announcers like Donovan and Tom Hamilton with the Indians, I have always thought you could tell when a player was on the outs based on what the announcer is willing to say about them. Announcers are PR mouthpieces for teams and when they go negative on a player its my opinion that its because they have been turned loose by their masters to spill the party line.

I never really thought Baker would be back.

Thought is was 65% chance he wouldn't be here.

The end of the season press conferences were weird. He never mentioned the the Browns, fans or city of Cleveland when he made his post-surgery video. Also, after the loss to the Steelers Baker said, "I'm going to discuss it with my agent and family to do what is best for me now as far as playing the game and surgery."

Never bought into Berry or Stefanski saying he was going to be the starter next year. They had to say it at the time.

Berry used a huge qualifier when he said, "we expect Baker to be the starter next year."

After the season ended and on the last episode of Browns Redzone, Donovan said then that he felt that Baker had played his game as a Brown.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:53 PM
Why? everyone knows he was badly injured last year. Everyone has his 2020 tape. Everyone who knows anything about football understands that. Which speaks volumes about this message board.

No, if I'm being shopped now, now is the time to strike.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
If I were Baker I would certainly refuse to play for the Browns at this juncture in public. Make it national headlines. That would drive the price down on what the Browns could get for me. Treat me like crap and lie to me and that's exactly the way I would treat you.

It's a business. You gotta accept that - if it hurts your feelings to the extent that you don't want to be paid $18 million for a team that did their due diligence on every/any opportunity to improve the team ... well then we should move on from Baker ASAP.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:55 PM
According to some, all he really has to do is show up for camp to get paid. If you believe that BS.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 07:56 PM
Also, who's to say at the end of the season Baker wasn't open to a fresh start as well? Might be best for his career.
Posted By: 86hunter Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:03 PM
I simply pointed to the fact that Baker is all over the internet with trade rumors everywhere!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:04 PM

Dave I'm seeing a lot of people saying that Jim Donovan said during that interview: Baker quitting on his team week 18 did not go over well with the locker room and FO and basically sealed his fate. Said the locker room tired of his his attitude?

If Jim Donovan is saying that, whoa.

Did you hear him say that?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:11 PM
I feel like this situation that Baker is in in the middle of is exactly how Drew Brees became Drew Brees.

I feel like we will majorly regret this
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:12 PM
i was done with Baker after that embarrassing display against the steelers. then i was really over him when he didnt even play the last game of the season.

everybody keeps talking about Baker's injuries as if the whole team wasn't dealing with injuries and gutting it out just like him.
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Dave I'm seeing a lot of people saying that Jim Donovan said during that interview: Baker quitting on his team week 18 did not go over well with the locker room and FO and basically sealed his fate. Said the locker room tired of his his attitude?

If Jim Donovan is saying that, whoa.

Did you hear him say that?

Yes, and I think its BS. Mayfield got his ass handed to him against Pittsburgh the week before. How many sacks? 9. How many QB hits? 11. The season was lost, there was no reason to play anymore, no further chance to make the playoffs. Guy played hurt all season, and now he's a shirker because he missed a meaningless game?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:18 PM
You mean the game where Stefanski put our rookie 3rd string LT 1 on 1 with the best pass rusher in the NFL for more than half the game? And comparing his injury to what others played through on the team is just silly.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:28 PM
Wow. Thanks, Dave.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:35 PM
Heard the same thing from Jimmy Donovan and had the same reaction. Baker is trending towards being finished here in Cleveland. We will have a new QB, whether it’s Watson, Carr, Minshew, a draft pick, etc
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:37 PM
Minshew? what?
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:39 PM
I should qualify that. It was a conversation with Bull & Fox, who have absolutely brutalized Mayfield for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for most of the season, so there may have been leading questions that Donovan responded to in less inflammatory words, but at no point did he say "no, that's not the case.". In other words he let the slander stand unchallenged, and appeared to agree.
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:39 PM
So Jmma and his analytics crew begin a new 5 year plan...had enough of Depo/Haslam rebuilding yet?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
Minshew? what?

Wouldn't that be such a Browns and Haslam thing to end up with after this cluster f. I'd say Browns are probably in 4th place in the running right now. Atlanta have multiple connections to Watson apparently and they are making a play.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:40 PM
This all starts with Stefanski ! I believe Baker got tired of his play calling. The look on his face when coming off the field spoke volumes to me . It may be a choice between the two.
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:41 PM
You have enough of ANALYTICS YET?
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:41 PM
Minshew? what?
Minshew Mania, Baby!!

[Linked Image from media2.giphy.com]
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by waterdawg
This all starts with Stefanski ! I believe Baker got tired of his play calling. The look on his face when coming off the field spoke volumes to me . It may be a choice between the two.
Well if that is the scenario - I'd absolutely roll with KS. But hopefully based on the success in 2020 that isn't the case. Who knows?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by mac
You have enough of ANALYTICS YET?

What ????
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:43 PM
The conversation with Donovan can be heard here:

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/authors/bull-fox
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:46 PM
I am adamantly a Baker supporter. I have no idea what KS was trying to do on offence last season.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:54 PM
I am adamantly a Baker supporter. I have no idea what KS was trying to do on offence last season.

Have the:
Second most open receivers
Third best pass block win rate
Most yards per carry in the league
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Have the:

8-9
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 08:59 PM

Have the:

8-9

With terrible QB play.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:01 PM
ESPN - just made a surprisingly insightful and accurate comment on Baker/Browns and going after Watson.

Using "Good" as the grade on Baker when healthy - and acknowledging the Browns roster is good enough to chase a championship:

Giving up on Good to chase Great and not being successful can set you back years. That's about where we are I think.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:03 PM

Have the:

8-9

With terrible QB play.
..and worse play calling.
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:05 PM

Have the:

8-9

With terrible QB play.

From an injured QB who tried to gut through it, but was too limited by the injuries. The coach should have seen that and replaced him.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Have the:

8-9

With terrible QB play.

So the receivers got open, the blockers were among the best, and the running backs thrived but the coach was calling the wrong plays?
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:10 PM
ESPN - just made a surprisingly insightful and accurate comment on Baker/Browns and going after Watson.

Using "Good" as the grade on Baker when healthy - and acknowledging the Browns roster is good enough to chase a championship:

Giving up on Good to chase Great and not being successful can set you back years. That's about where we are I think.

Let us not forget Haslam's history...Johnny Manziel was Jimma's idea...

...Hue Jackson...Jimma Haslam's idea.

Hire a baseball guy to run your football team...again, Jimma's idea!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:26 PM
This whole fiasco has turned into a mess.

No matter the outcome.

Watson comes to the Browns all kinds of BS comes with him.

The Texans don't want Baker. Then he has to be traded. Traded not from a position of strength. You end getting whatever you can.

Watson goes to another team.

Baker could still be dealt which puts the team behind the eight ball.

Baker remains. Great locker room. Jarvis gone. Tretter gone. So, Baker is supposed to lead the team which does not want him.

This is a bad situation. That could kill this season before it starts.

It has become Watson or bust. All this drama could have been avoided if Haslam would have just said no. Or, if Dee said "Jimmy no."

So, here we are stuck in the middle.

I don't feel good about any of this.

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:28 PM
There should be a pretty decent market for Baker if we decide to trade him. All the teams that want/wanted Watson still need a QB.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:46 PM

Have the:

8-9

With terrible QB play.

So the receivers got open, the blockers were among the best, and the running backs thrived but the coach was calling the wrong plays?

when your star running back (one of the best in the NFL) is on the bench on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1... yeah. I'd say that's bad playcalling.

meanwhile, we asked our injured QB to throw the ball to a temper tantrum who intentionally dropped 3rd and 4th down passes so he could get traded.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:48 PM
There should be a pretty decent market for Baker if we decide to trade him. All the teams that want/wanted Watson still need a QB.

I think Bones summation was more accurate. You've got rose colored spectacles of convinience on.... Surely the other teams will view Baker like you do, a below average QB and the free agent QBs on the market have minimal differential.... We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 3rd round pick and we are negotiating from weakness.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:50 PM

I think Bones summation was more accurate. You've got rose colored spectacles of convinience on.... Surely the other teams will view Baker like you do, a below average QB and the free agent QBs on the market have minimal differential.... We'd be incredibly lucky to get a 3rd round pick and we are negotiating from weakness.

Everyone knew the Colts wanted to be rid of Carson Wentz and Washington traded two thirds for the right to pay him his entire salary.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 09:52 PM
Of course how I feel doen't mean a damn thing.

But this unholy affair stinks to high heaven.

I would rather be rolling with Baker and looking at the draft. Now this sh** storm.

Watson is a damn good player. He has proven that. He is only 26 entering his prime. I know how quickly the news cycle turns.

The stink blows away with the wind. Kraft, Snyder, and all that went out the door fast. Players get second chances. The league is ripe with hypocricy.

The Browns have taken on troubled players. McDowell, Takk, Hunt.

The NFL has some bad people in the game. Joe Mixon punched a woman in the face breaking bones. Tareek Hill broke the arm of his two year old son. Adrian Peterson got taken to court for beating his kid.

Before this coming season is over. Wherever Watson lands it will become about results on the field.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/15/22 11:59 PM
Browns is the Browns.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
when your star running back (one of the best in the NFL) is on the bench on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1... yeah. I'd say that's bad playcalling.

meanwhile, we asked our injured QB to throw the ball to a temper tantrum who intentionally dropped 3rd and 4th down passes so he could get traded.

Well, most likely the star running back was hurt and couldn't do it, or do you think Stefansky would throw the games just to make BM look bad?

Fact is Baker was called to the plate and couldn't do it. 2 times in 3 seasons, its not like it was the first time....
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:09 AM

think he's up outta here
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:10 AM
Yep.... what a wild day!

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:11 AM
From the horse's mouth...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:15 AM
Now I’m just depressed.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:16 AM
Haslam strikes again (with a little help from KS ) As Purp. said , the Browns will Brown .
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:30 AM
Now I’m just depressed.

What's wild is to think, what if Baker/Browns just shut it down and had surgery after the injury in week 2 or even after the Cardinals game?

Butterfly Effect.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:32 AM
from a line in the Godfather 1 - "Nothing Personal Baker, just business!"
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:38 AM
damn Watson has Baker writing his resignation letter already
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:40 AM

while i get it, Duke has no business talking trash. like, he's not that dude. he's JAG.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:41 AM
Minshew? what?

Wouldn't that be such a Browns and Haslam thing to end up with after this cluster f. I'd say Browns are probably in 4th place in the running right now. Atlanta has multiple connections to Watson apparently, and they are making a play.

Not sure if I'd head home with these allegations hanging around my neck, if I was him. But then again, I would never force myself on a woman, or do whatever sexual crap he is accused of doing.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:42 AM
Now I’m just depressed.

What's wild is to think, what if Baker/Browns just shut it down and had surgery after the injury in week 2 or even after the Cardinals game?

Butterfly Effect.

We'd be going into the '22 season feeling good with a lot of optimism. Stefanski should have pulled Baker for good at halftime of the Pats game when it was obvious the injury was affecting his play. There's no way Baker was going to voluntarily call it quits for the season.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:43 AM
Hey Swish,
Baker should have thought about that after the season when the Browns looked at all that game tape. The Browns looked like fools dealing OBJ and everyone knew Baker was not passing worth a damn. Baker's stats are not good and Old Jimmy was not happy!.. So Baker is on the hot-seat for sure even if the trade does not go through
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by DogNDC
Hey Swish,
Baker should have thought about that after the season when the Browns looked at all that game tape. The Browns looked like fools dealing OBJ and everyone knew Baker was not passing worth a damn. Baker's stats are not good and Old Jimmy was not happy!.. So Baker is on the hot-seat for sure even if the trade does not go through

he's probably gone even if we dont get Watson. as of right now, the FO had better be damn sure they are gonna land Watson. anybody else - whether its Jimmy G or whoever - would be a catastrophic failure.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:48 AM
Nobody feel bad for Baker. He is getting well paid to.play a game. He will start somewhere
In the NFL. But its really funny to think that some believe the Browns will never ever
Be able to land another good QB in Cleveland if Mayfield is jettisoned out.
People act like Mayfield took this team to a AFC Championship.game..
He simply is not consistant enough to be considered a top 10 QB.
He has yet to beat a upper tier QB in.the playoffs
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:55 AM
Hey Swish,

he's probably gone even if we dont get Watson. as of right now, the FO had better be damn sure they are gonna land Watson. anybody else - whether its Jimmy G or whoever - would be a catastrophic failure.

It seems like they went after Watson because they knew were done with Baker.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:59 AM
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:02 AM
As I thought earlier today a total clusterfck. Andrew Berry and Stefanski. Right now it’s Watson or nothing and both will cost this organization more then a fortune. Same old Browns strikes again.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:04 AM
messages like this only make FA question the FO.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:04 AM
As I thought earlier today a total clusterfck. Andrew Berry and Stefanski. Right now it’s Watson or nothing and both will cost this organization more then a fortune. Same old Browns strikes again.

we dont know what it is. and if we land watson, that's a fortune any team needing a QB will pay.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:09 AM

That's wildly petty. I don't hate pettiness.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:09 AM
Who gets the Baker hit piece after he’s out? MKC is too obvious. Jake Trotter is too close to Baker. Zac Jackson is too much of a goof. A national writer?
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:10 AM
At this very moment, I don't give a damn what the Browns do at QB. The Baker haters got their way, now we get SNAFU. Watson is a pipe dream, and a creep. If he comes, he better damn sure take us to the Super Bowl year one. All I have to say on this until we see how it plays out. AND OBJ sucked, if you ask me, beyond injury, he was what happened to the team in 21. OBJ derailed the browns in the locker room, period. Anybody saying anything else is a damn liar in my book. This sickens me.

I ride with 6.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:11 AM

That's wildly petty. I don't hate pettiness.

How much do you have to be disliked by other players to do something like this? Wow.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:12 AM

we dont know what it is. and if we land watson, that's a fortune any team needing a QB will pay.
Come back after couple of months into next season when Stefanski has time enough to ruin another QB and destroy a couple of our WRs.

Watson would be an idiot to chose Cleveland with Ski as a play caller. Nobody is that stupid.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:14 AM

Come back after couple of months into next season when Stefanski has time enough to ruin another QB and destroy a couple of our WRs.

Watson would be an idiot to chose Cleveland with Ski as a play caller. Nobody is that stupid.

?? yea this doesnt make any sense.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:19 AM
Sell the team, Jimmy.

We ignited the dumpster fire even before the season started this year.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:22 AM

?? yea this doesnt make any sense.

Hey Swish, there will be alot of butt-hurt Baker Bros, whining all day and night!! Cleveland probably wont get Watson but this lets Baker know that he is expendable also if his crap aint together. The Browns have EVERY RIGHT to look at improving the team, especially at QB1. Every other player position understands this, know he does also!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:23 AM
Now I’m just depressed.

Butterfly Effect.

That's what they should have done... no reason for him to play the season hurt
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:26 AM
Hey Swish,

It's gotta be Watson or Baker... Jimmy G is not a clear upgrade over Baker... a healthy Baker is a good QB... Watson is elite... so I get going after him... I'm hoping if it doesn't work out with Watson that Baker is professional enough to come into this season and ball if he's recovered... that would earn him a fat pay check either with us or someone else... but it sure feels like Baker is done in Cleveland no matter what...
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by RocketOptimist
Sell the team, Jimmy.

We ignited the dumpster fire even before the season started this year.

Thought you said you were taking a leave of absence.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:35 AM
since "99" wins-losses

99 ... 2-14

00 ... 3-13

01 ... 7-9

02 ... 9-7

03 ... 5-11

04 ... 4-12

05 ... 5-10

06 ... 4-12

07 ... 10-6 Making a big play off run in 08

08 ... 4-12 Not !

09 ... 5-11

10 ... 5-11

11 ... 4-12

12 ... 5-11

13 ... 4-12

14 ... 7-9 I recall play-off talks in 15

15 ... 3-13 Nope !

16 ... 1-15

17 ... 0-16 Hey got a parade !

18 ... 7-8-1 Good bye Hue !

19 ... 6-10 Bye Freddie !

20 ... 11-5 Browns going to the SB in 21

21 .. 8-9 injured beat up team..FO looking to move on from Baker.

Not the biggest fan of Baker, but the win column looks the best back to back seasons,then the seasons before him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:46 AM
After the season ended and on the last episode of Browns Redzone, Donovan said then that he felt that Baker had played his game as a Brown.

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:48 AM
Anyone want to buy $4000 of Baker Browns gear?
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:51 AM
Go kick rocks.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Anyone want to buy $4000 of Baker Browns gear?

That's like paying $518K for the football Tom Brady threw for his "last" TD pass!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:01 AM
So, what you say is not what you do. Got it.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:49 AM
Posted By: Squires Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:25 AM
Now I’m just depressed.

Why? I thought you wanted to get rid of Baker?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Squires
Now I’m just depressed.

As I’ve said all along I like Baker and wish he was better. It is depressing to become attached to a player and then have that player fail and have to move on. Not to mention the fact we used the #1 pick on him and he’s toast after four years. The whole situation is depressing.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:57 AM
What he wants, he gets
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 06:01 AM
I actually think we are getting Watson. Because Haslam and the FO wouldn’t embarrass our supposed QB by flying to meet with Watson, if they weren’t close to a deal.

Haslam can’t be that stupid. Lol
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
So, what you say is not what you do. Got it.

Leave this stuff in the outhouse arch, please and thanks.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:30 AM
When the Browns beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh. I was overwhelmed.

It was like a giant weight was taken off my back. I felt it was the beginning.

This is like being thrown back in the hole.

I know who Baker is. He is the classic overachiever. The guy who tries the hardest with not all the gifts. The short guy who plays tall.

My real hope is he plays this year for the Browns and he wins the MVP and comeback player of the year.

This entire ordeal is a colossal mess.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:34 AM
all you trade baker at all costs fans... would you trade Baker to the Steelers?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Because Haslam and the FO wouldn’t embarrass our supposed QB by flying to meet with Watson, if they weren’t close to a deal.

... they wouldn't do that... right? Right?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:37 AM
Hey Swish,

I think that is part of it and also knew Baker was done with us. I get the feeling that baker told someone he wasn't interested in signing a contract with the Browns.

It was probably expressed at the combine between Berry and Bakers agent. It seems like it was a Stephanski or me type of deal.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Squires
Now I’m just depressed.

As I’ve said all along I like Baker and wish he was better. It is depressing to become attached to a player and then have that player fail and have to move on. Not to mention the fact we used the #1 pick on him and he’s toast after four years. The whole situation is depressing.

Except Baker isn't toast. Depending on where he ends up and what situation that team is on, I expect him to be a good QB in the NFL for the next few years. His ceiling is higher depending on circumstances.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:41 AM
For the first time in 20+ years, I enjoyed watching games and not feeling like we had no chance from the kickoff. If they let Baker go, I hope they have a real plan, because I don't think Watson comes, here and if he does I don't think he stays committed and will raise hell like he did in Houston very quickly. And then Cleveland will be back to rebuilding.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Hey Swish,

I think that is part of it and also knew Baker was done with us. I get the feeling that baker told someone he wasn't interested in signing a contract with the Browns.

It was probably expressed at the combine between Berry and Bakers agent. It seems like it was a Stephanski or me type of deal.

I can't think of a single reason why Baker's agent would relay that to anyone. We talk about what a desirable team CLE is for Watson because we are built for ayoffs and beyond. Same would be true for Baker regardless of 2021 season. There are. Lot of gobshite teams looking for QBs. Baker could easily end up on one.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 12:46 PM
Or the team sat down with Baker and came to the conclusion that they had irreconcilable differences. The team asked him where he'd like to go if traded because he did lay it all out for them, and they want to do right by him. He said Indy was his top choice where he'd get to play in a dome on a team only really a QB away from being great and be in a division that's not very good. Maybe the pursuit of Watson is trying to make the best of a bad situation, football-wise.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 12:48 PM
Posted By: eotab Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
I think the Browns are after Watson and Baker was told by Berry.

However, he told him we plan to talk to him and the Texans. "You are the starter unless we sign him."

Baker knows the score. He knows he is on a one year deal. Nothing changes for him. His plan is to be as good as he can be.

Let the rest happen.

If Watson goes to another team. Baker is the starter.

When did this happen Bone where is said and by who? Cause if we did then we are done with Baker man that would suck no pun intended but a Bone head move! If that is the case then we move up and get the kid Wills
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Or the team sat down with Baker and came to the conclusion that they had irreconcilable differences. The team asked him where he'd like to go if traded because he did lay it all out for them, and they want to do right by him. He said Indy was his top choice where he'd get to play in a dome on a team only really a QB away from being great and be in a division that's not very good. Maybe the pursuit of Watson is trying to make the best of a bad situation, football-wise.

I'd bet none of this happeened.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:24 PM
First and foremost, I'm a Browns TEAM supporter.. But the way Baker is being treated in this case is pretty bad. All he's done is put it on the line every game.

The year before last he was well thought of by almost everyone.. He gets hurt and now it looks like he's getting thrown out of town for a shiny new toy that we may not even get....

I just don't like the way the Browns handled this
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:30 PM

Jim Donovan (play-by-play guy) was on 92.3 The fan yesterday and among the illuminating things he said, one of them was the the FO met with Baker's agents at the combine. I have no clue what was discussed, but they allegedly did meet.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Jim Donovan (play-by-play guy) was on 92.3 The fan yesterday and among the illuminating things he said, one of them was the the FO met with Baker's agents at the combine. I have no clue what was discussed, but they allegedly did meet.

Here is the interview.
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...n-cooper-helps-fill-need-for-big-play-wr
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:39 PM

Here is the interview.
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...n-cooper-helps-fill-need-for-big-play-wr

Donovan slanging some arrows right at Baker.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 01:42 PM
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:12 PM
+1 ... KS was a bigger problem than Baker
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:21 PM
"Zac Jackson: Browns have urgency because they have a good team…It's time to move on from Baker"

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sports/cleveland-browns/zac-jackson-baker-watson
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:43 PM
"Zac Jackson: Browns have urgency because they have a good team…It's time to move on from Baker"

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sports/cleveland-browns/zac-jackson-baker-watson

Zac was one that said Baker played his last game as a Brown at the end of the season - he's a hack who wants to be right.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:47 PM

Zac was one that said Baker played his last game as a Brown at the end of the season - he's a hack who wants to be right.

how is somebody a hack if they end up being right?

MKC gets called all kinda crap, and yet she's about to be right on her reporting yet again.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 02:54 PM
Zac and Jason Lloyd are on the Athletic. Their takes on Baker are distortedly anti-Baker. They wrote a piece today in the Athletic telling fans that they should set any moral issues with Watson aside because it's the NFL's low standards that allow Watson to play - we should be angry at the NFL not Watson ... what utter crap is that? That's why he's a hack, not because he might be right.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:20 PM
Zac and Jason Lloyd are on the Athletic. Their takes on Baker are distortedly anti-Baker. They wrote a piece today in the Athletic telling fans that they should set any moral issues with Watson aside because it's the NFL's low standards that allow Watson to play - we should be angry at the NFL not Watson ... what utter crap is that? That's why he's a hack, not because he might be right.
That's part of the reason this crap never goes away. If you're good enough, people will make every excuse in the book... including blaming the bookmark if you lost your place on the page.

That's fine though, I'll do my part and speak with my wallet. Glad I waited to renew, they can take my four club seats and shove them up their #$%#&.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:27 PM
Exactly. I like how the work is already starting on telling us how to think regarding this. "It's Ok... the NFL are the bad guys, not us, and not him. They allow it."
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:29 PM

MKC gets called all kinda crap, and yet she's about to be right on her reporting yet again.

MKC, at one point or another, had us landing every single FA QB imaginable. She's definitely a hack.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by BADdog
+1 ... KS was a bigger problem than Baker

Third in pass block win rate
5.1 yards per carry
2nd most open receivers open

Yeah! It was Stefanski!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 03:59 PM
One thing I'm seeing on Twitter that's actually fair criticism is people putting Baker's reaction to the drama next to Tua and Garrapolo's handling of their situations. It kinda lends some bit of credence to the thinking that Baker isn't all that mentally tough. Again, there are VERY few QBs that can command the type of commitment he seems to expect from the org, and he's not one of them (yet).
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:23 PM
Baker knows the Browns are looking for an upgrade at QB and he's on the way out.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:29 PM
If Baker is traded what is his worth? DW supposedly is going to go for 3 #1’s plus more.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:29 PM

I have a friend that hates Belichick and insists that he is finished at NE. He's been doing this since about 2012. One day we will be right though!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
If Baker is traded what is his worth? DW supposedly is going to go for 3 #1’s plus more.

I guess we’ll see how the league values Baker.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:53 PM
IMO, Baker is a better get than Carson Wentz. So for argument's sake, Carson went for 2 3rds (IIRC).

I'd argue, though, that a closer comparison would be the trade that sent Wentz from the Eagles to Indy. That one was for a third and then a conditional 2nd in the subsequent year (that did end up turning into a first).
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:54 PM

Lol. You'll see how the rest of the league treats a schizophrenic FO that suddenly wants to part ways with it's QB as much as you'll see Baker's "value".

Buy high, sell low. The Browns is always the Browns.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:55 PM
That said, Browns should be able to get a conditional 2nd.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober

MKC, at one point or another, had us landing every single FA QB imaginable. She's definitely a hack.

she is 100% a hack. she also doesn't write 1/2 of her articles and uses other writers at PD as a source.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

Lol. You'll see how the rest of the league treats a schizophrenic FO that suddenly wants to part ways with it's QB as much as you'll see Baker's "value".

Buy high, sell low. The Browns is always the Browns.

You honestly Andrew Berry changed overnight? Everything everyone says about him says that he is very thoughtful and calculated. The writing has been on the wall since the last Steeler game with Baker. I also think it is very telling that Jim Donovan came out and mini-slammed Baker as he never says anything controversial.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:06 PM
The Steelers were laughing at Mayfield on the field. That is an image that is hard to shake. I never saw a QB in a Browns uniform look worse than Baker did ion that game. That is saying alot!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
The Steelers were laughing at Mayfield on the field. That is an image that is hard to shake. I never saw a QB in a Browns uniform look worse than Baker did ion that game. That is saying alot!

clearly you don't remember the 29 quarterbacks that started before him.

Kizer was by far the worst.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:26 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Nobody feel bad for Baker. He is getting well paid to.play a game. He will start somewhere
In the NFL. But its really funny to think that some believe the Browns will never ever
Be able to land another good QB in Cleveland if Mayfield is jettisoned out.

Yeah, look at all the great ones we've had since Bernie. Why would anyone think that?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:48 PM
I actually think we are getting Watson. Because Haslam and the FO wouldn’t embarrass our supposed QB by flying to meet with Watson, if they weren’t close to a deal.

Au contraire.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 05:54 PM
Last year when Deshaun Watson first wanted out of Houston the question was posed would you trade Mayfield for Watson. Most Browns fans said No! Then 2021 happened and Mayfield was terrible. Now, Watson seems to be a much better option than Mayfield.

This offense can be effective with a game manager. The problem is Mayfield simply turns the ball over too much to be a good game manager. He has the mentality of a gun slinger but does not have the ability to be a gun slinger.

Deshaun Watson throws for big numbers and does not turn the ball over. He could take the offense to another level Mayfield simply cannot.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 06:00 PM

Really? I didn't see them laughing when Baker knocked them out of the playoffs two years ago winning the first playoff game since before the return... But by all means, let's just cut him since he is such a bum. Let's go back to the good old days when we went through QB after QB and won exactly ZERO games one season. 1-15 here we come. That's the Browns you want. By the way, BAKER WAS INJURED last year. What part of that do you not understand? I hope Baker DOES leave and then wins a couple of Super Bowls. THAT would be very funny.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:46 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:53 PM
This is going to be a messy divorce.

Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:54 PM
Last year when Deshaun Watson first wanted out of Houston the question was posed would you trade Mayfield for Watson. Most Browns fans said No! Then 2021 happened and Mayfield was terrible. Now, Watson seems to be a much better option than Mayfield.

We better sure hope Watson doesn't get hurt too.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:55 PM
This is going to be a messy divorce.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:57 PM
As proved by his statement last night Baker is too immature to handle matters like this. It shows on the field.
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:57 PM
j/c...

Browns' PR spin kicks into gear with one of the biggest NFL mouthpieces.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 07:59 PM
j/c...

"They want an adult at QB" rofl

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:02 PM

Yup. Time for the hit pieces to start showing up to sway opinion.
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:03 PM
LOL, so they go hard after DeShaun Watson, aka Jack Mehoff.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:07 PM
Look , I know were you stand on Stefanski. 5.1 is Chubb not KS . The OL is 5.1 not KS .. Personel groups and critical play calling are more important tahn this open receiver stat you keeping harping on. Playing a hurt QB when he shouls be on the bench was KS. Look Dawg , we will just agree to disagree .. Stafanski is your man for this Season.. We all will be witness ..lol
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Browns PR team vs Baker's PR people will be wild to watch unfold.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:13 PM

Browns PR team vs Baker's PR people will be wild to watch unfold.

Maybe I’ll honor baker by keeping up with the news behind a Cheesecake Factory.
Posted By: Westy15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:15 PM
So sell the farm and give up way too much for the massage addict…
I don’t see any other available clear upgrades over Baker…and everyone says he’s as good as gone…
I don’t get it. Most depressing off-season I’ve experienced
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:17 PM
You haven't been a Browns fan very long ..lol
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:22 PM
[Linked Image from media.bleacherreport.com]

Back in the saddle!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:29 PM
I still believe if Watson chooses another team (Hopefully) that Baker will still be our QB this season, he will have ONE HUGE CHIP on his shoulder ... Go Browns thumbsup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:30 PM
Look , I know were you stand on Stefanski. 5.1 is Chubb not KS . The OL is 5.1 not KS .. Personel groups and critical play calling are more important tahn this open receiver stat you keeping harping on. Playing a hurt QB when he shouls be on the bench was KS. Look Dawg , we will just agree to disagree .. Stafanski is your man for this Season.. We all will be witness ..lol

I agree Stefanski should have benched Baker, but I distinctly remember Baker making a point in the press that he will decide if he plays or not. I think that was when a rift between Baker and Ski developed.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:33 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:34 PM
I think it would have been the right thing for the front office to do let Baker know that they were going after Watson. They did, according to reports, tell him they would go after a QB if it was an upgrade.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 08:44 PM
Despite all this, Baker's still a Brown
Posted By: Jester Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by LexDawg

We better sure hope Watson doesn't get hurt too.

Won't be an issue. Watson will sit himself down and not try to fight through the injury.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:17 PM
Stefanski is a typical rattlesnake. I don’t believe a word he says. Diggs. OBJ. Landry. Baker. Who’s next?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:17 PM
Stefanski is a typical rattlesnake. I don’t believe a word he says. Diggs. OBJ. Landry. Baker. Who’s next?

What are you even talking about? Do you have an example?
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:18 PM
I think it would have been the right thing for the front office to do let Baker know that they were going after Watson. They did, according to reports, tell him they would go after a QB if it was an upgrade.

Your my favorite poster, but were you drunk last night?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:20 PM

Your my favorite poster, but were you drunk last night?

I don't know what you are talking about but the quote above is from last than an hour ago.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:24 PM
You were slurrrring your massages. rofl
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:26 PM
You were slurrrring your massages. rofl

lol why does this sound so dirty
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 09:56 PM
A different world:

[Russell Wilson] has a no-trade clause in his current contract, and there’s a reason for it. As Simms said during the conversation, the Seahawks talked to the Browns about a potential trade that would have sent Wilson to Cleveland for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Browns contend that the idea was “floated” conceptually, but that the discussion did indeed happen. At the time, the Seahawks were staring at another extension for Wilson, one that would result a year later in a contract with a new-money value of $35 million per year. And the placement of a no-trade clause in the latest contract was indeed influenced by chatter regarding the potential trade to Cleveland, we’re told.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/could-russell-wilson-be-traded-by-the-seahawks/
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/16/22 11:19 PM
If Baker plays the season and the results are not good. What happens?

He will be left to go to free agency. Watson is on another team. So is Grappolo. So is Trubisky, Jameis, Carr and Cousins.

Where does that leave the Browns? In a rebuild with a bunch of good players in their prime. And no quarterback.

So we draft a quarterback next year and will he be ready to lead a team? That of course is unknown.

Not a good situation. I am not going to comment on morals and ethics. Watson is going to be on a team.

Watson is 26 and has proven himself. Players will want to play with him. He was liked as a teammate in Houston.

There is a lot at play here.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:19 AM
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:33 AM
Cowherd is wrong again as usual. Baker's message to the fans before he was traded again showed his immaturity. A professional would have stayed quite and let the process played out and then sent that letter after he was dealt. Baker sees himself as a celebrity and wanted to protect his image nothing more.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:40 AM
Cowherd is wrong again as usual. Baker's message to the fans before he was traded again showed his immaturity. A professional would have stayed quite and let the process played out and then sent that letter after he was dealt. Baker sees himself as a celebrity and wanted to protect his image nothing more.

It might have just been me, but his message seemed to be about him as much as it was about the fans.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:52 AM

Perfect timing!
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:53 AM
So now what are we to do without those wonderful progressive insurance commercials with Baker???
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:12 AM
I have a general question: If everything last year was Baker's fault, and the receivers were so wide open on every play, then why did the Browns allow OBJ to leave for nothing last year, and Landry and Higgins to do the same this year?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:19 AM
Wow! So they can't keep a good group together for 16 months?
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by boofers20
So now what are we to do without those wonderful progressive insurance commercials with Baker???

Thank God those will be over.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I have a general question: If everything last year was Baker's fault, and the receivers were so wide open on every play, then why did the Browns allow OBJ to leave for nothing last year, and Landry and Higgins to do the same this year?

OBJ and Landry were likely gone either way because of their contracts. Every coaching staff has put Higgins in the doghouse.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:12 AM
Yes. Signed with the Panthers.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:24 AM
It ain't Cleveland if there ain't a Quarterback controversy.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent

Who
Posted By: Hammer Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:40 AM
Hollywood
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer
Hollywood

???
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by EveDawg

Who

Somebody asked if Higgins was gone, then deleted their post.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:55 AM
Nevermind. This is not the thread for Higgins.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 12:52 PM
Maybe I am dead wrong.

But the narrative of Baker has to go even if Watson goes to another team is total BS IMO.

The quote by Mortenson "Browns want an adult." is another BS headline.

Why would the Browns trade Baker if Watson is out? They don't have to trade him. Who would replace Baker and give this team a better chance to win?

Nobody left out there. That is the truth. Baker knows the team and the offense. If there is something we do not know. It would have to be extreme to cause them to move Baker. The other BS is he has a problem with Stefanski. Not any more than he would have with any coach. Head coach and qb are not always eye to eye. That is more normal than not. They work together. You are not always going to agree.

The Baker letter to the fans. Please that is who Baker is. He is going to be Baker. Love him or hate him. That is who he is. I don't make a big deal about that at all.

IMO it is more likely Baker is our quarterback this year than Watson. We have a 25% chance. I don't see a favorite. It is up to where he wants to go based upon his own reasons.

At this point I have become desensitized to this decision. I just want to win and i don't control a thing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:16 PM

The quote by Mortenson "Browns want an adult." is another BS headline.

[...]

The Baker letter to the fans. Please that is who Baker is. He is going to be Baker. Love him or hate him. That is who he is. I don't make a big deal about that at all.

Normally I'd agree with you, but his goodbye letter via SM when he's still on the team does lend credence to the 'just want an adult' thing. Baker is throwing a temper tantrum because he think he's entitled to his FO never pursuing an upgrade at QB. I'm sorry, but if "that's just who he is", that's a bummer because that's not a fQB mentality/behavior. Rip on Tua and JimmyG all you want (I do), but it's not hard to look around and see how your fQB is supposed to act.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 01:44 PM
I do not see that letter that way.

Baker knows football. He knows Jarvis is gone. He knows every position is always trying to be improved.

He knows the score. He was informed. He knows he has to play the best he can play. Of all people he knows that.

IMO he thought if he is traded he simply wanted to say thanks.

Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:15 PM
Baker still a Brown?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:25 PM
Baker still a Brown?

For another week at most.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:30 PM
I do not see that letter that way.

Baker knows football. He knows Jarvis is gone. He knows every position is always trying to be improved.

He knows the score. He was informed. He knows he has to play the best he can play. Of all people he knows that.

IMO he thought if he is traded he simply wanted to say thanks.

Baker is gone.

It's been reported multiple times over Baker is gone regardless of the Watson trade.

His letter was another example of his emotional immaturity.

You send that letter after you've been traded or released, not before. I can't think of another example that has happened in the NFL.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:34 PM
Think about Matt Ryan he’s been with the Falcons since 2008 and not a peep.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:44 PM
JimmyG saw his replacement drafted and look at his response.
Posted By: hitt Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:53 PM
Ditto, he says goodbye on social media....AFTER, he says he's done with it. He ruins his season TACKLING, rather than THROWING. JMHO, there has to be a reason they didn't pay him.....none of us know the real story....roll with Mariota, he won't tackle and he's more mobile than Baker. Go Browns!!!!
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 02:53 PM

Darnold neither. And Tua played all of last year without a comment after it came out Miami was interested in Watson.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:03 PM
Chris Mortensen is on WKNR right now and said that it was someone in the organization that told him directly that the Browns want an "adult at QB" and stated the comment was even before Baker's thank you/farewell letter.

He's also saying the Browns and Baker are breaking up.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:12 PM
Watson is the better talented QB than Mayfield all around
But, lets not act like Watson had the Texans going deep in
The playoffs as the Texans starter.
Bringing in.Watson does not guarantee a SB for the Browns

I think Mayfield could be a fit in Detroit cause Dan Campbell
And him have that same lets go team rah rah mindset bite your
Shins mindset.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
I think Mayfield could be a fit in Detroit cause Dan Campbell
And him have that same lets go team rah rah mindset bite your
Shins mindset.

Is this a short person joke?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:15 PM
j/c...

Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:28 PM
j/c...

The river caught fire and it was Jimma and Depo who started it, thinking they had a done deal with Watson and throwing Mayfield under the bus, then trying to sell their story that Mayfield would be a great QB prospect for any team looking for a QB.

Haslam ande Depo did this to themselves and the Browns franchise that once again is looking like the last place any player would want to play.

You can't fix that level of stupidity..!
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:31 PM
jc

like i said before, and purp responded great to it. if Baker is our starter, is Amari next?

somehow his batted passes are gonna be Chubb and Hunt's fault? Njoku gonna get released mid season?

we gonna toss Stefanski under the bus. all these players leaving, and yet somehow its never Mayfield's fault.

dude is gonna be 100% healthy this season. i dont want hear a freaking excuse from anyone if he still leads the league in picks and batted passes.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by mac
j/c...

The river caught fire and it was Jimma and Depo who started it, thinking they had a done deal with Watson and throwing Mayfield under the bus, then trying to sell their story that Mayfield would be a great QB prospect for any team looking for a QB.

Haslam ande Depo did this to themselves and the Browns franchise that once again is looking like the last place any player would want to play.

And now we have to try and bring a QB to Cleveland after this.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by mac
j/c...

It seems like we were going to do that anyway.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:08 PM
It looks to me like Baker's pre-emptive post could go a long way towards building that bridge for this year. He said he'll work hard wherever he is and was seemingly good with the process. He knew he was going to get paid somewhere and I have to believe he still thinks he can produce.

Maybe they'll draft a QB this year? Maybe not? Doesn't matter now. Baker Mayfield will be the starter. He's been put on notice that unless he produces this year he's gone. The sky is not falling.
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:10 PM
But Cleveland is "A GREAT PLACE FOR (FOOTBALL) PLAYER" ...according to the BASEBALL GUY CALLING THE SHOTS WHILE HE IS RUNNING INTERFERENCE FOR AN OWNER WITH 0 % of football IQ.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by mac
j/c...

It seems like we were going to do that anyway.

Agreed, but I think it would have been easier without this circus.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:14 PM

And Ryan has had a stellar career.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:15 PM

And Ryan has had a stellar career.

If Watson goes to ATL, sign me up for some Matt Ryan.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:16 PM
The Browns are rolling with Baker.

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-out...-trade-still-see-baker-mayfield-as-qb-of

back to normal
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:17 PM
So, what's the plan if we don't get Watson? do we try to mend fences with Baker? Will he accept mended fences or at this point, will he want out?

Given what's been reported (not sure any of that is completely accurate of course), if you were Baker,, would you be willing to stay and put forth total effort?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:19 PM

Have we learned no lessons?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:31 PM
I believe people were trying real hard to read way more into this than what it was.

The Browns tried to improve the quarterback position play. They went after Watson and they told Baker.

Watson will play for another team. Baker is under contract for 2022 and the Browns could franchise him in 2023 if they wish.

All the other noise is people trying to get attention.

Baker will play for the Browns. He is professional enough to know that he has to play his best.

This has been way overblown IMO
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:34 PM
FWIW, I heard MKC on the morning show and Daryl Ruiter on the midday show, and neither thinks the the relationship with Mayfield is damaged beyond repair. Ruiter went on the record saying he believes Baker will be the starting QB next season.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:37 PM
I can't wait for opening day when Milkman has a date with his bandsaw.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:41 PM
Maybe.

Or maybe the Browns FO is in full spin mode trying to amplify the trade value of the guy no longer in their plans.

The Browns going so hard for a POS character like Watson is the biggest black eye in all this. Most especially with their "Character and Accountability" marketing bullcrap. If we end up with someone's cast off after trading away Baker for not much, that'll just be the Browns being Clowns once more.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:50 PM
j/c:

Begin attempting to mend those fences while looking for Plan B.

Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:53 PM
The only way the Browns escape this embarrassment caused the the Browns owner, "JIMMA", and his ANALYTICS SIDEKICK, "DEPO"...is JIMMA HAS TO STEP DOWN AS OWNER AND DEPO is sent back to BASEBALL..!

The whole "ANALYTICS" angle was nothing more than A CON JOB to enable the Browns owner (JIMMA) to stay involved in all decisions while portraying JIMMA as an NFL owner who allows those hired to do do their job of running the Browns.

I already am reading a headline that claims this was all GM Berry's idea, to pursue Watson...

... linkIs it really on Andrew Berry for this whole quarterback mess? Factory of Sadness (Weblog)

Jimma and Depo want the Browns fans to believe this whole freaking mess was Andrew Berry's idea...

The real question is, do you really believe that this idea of bringing in an accused sex offender as the Browns QB of the future was Berry's ideal..??

Jimma and Depo must go...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:56 PM
Haslam is clueless about many things, but you’re going a little overboard mac.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:56 PM
please dont be Jimmy G. at least Baker has remained relatively healthy. i was against Jimmy G from the jump. got hurt in new england, stayed hurt in San fran.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:57 PM
It’s a farce. They want to look like the good guy when Baker asks for the trade.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 04:58 PM
The Browns are not all in with Baker.

They can not be. He has played inconsistently.

It was all business. They went after an improvement. It did not happen. They do it at all positions when a player is in a situation like Baker no matter the position.

They will tell Baker play your best ball and we will see what happens.

It will be business as usual. Clowney played well on a one year. They will decide on him.

I do not believe that relationships are beyond repair. Look at Rodgers. Baker has no real leverage. He has a simple task play well and the future will take care of itself.

For me it is about the 2022 season. Get the best roster we can and try to win the division.

I look forward to the draft and if we can add some other players in free agency.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:00 PM
It’s a farce. They want to look like the good guy when Baker asks for the trade.

I agree.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:02 PM

Please Please Please give Him one more year to show us he's the guy.
I think he is and can be great, yes I said it he can be great.
Dont throw the baby out with the bath water.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:07 PM
mac,
Go grind your axe somewhere else. Start up another 'Depo stole my girlfriend' thread since the other one got locked. Your 1-man crusade vs analytics was tired before, but now you're trying to convince everyone that not every single other FO/coach/owner prior to now had QB controversies and it's something new because of analytics.

I read somewhere that really started to make me think. Somebody stated that there are VERY few QBs that could be entitled to the belief that their FO shouldn't look to upgrade the QB position. We're talking Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, and MAYBE Stafford, Herbert, Russell Wilson. I don't think anyone would argue that Baker is NOT in this category, and yet I'd characterize a lot of his behavior as him thinking this is the case (he's the fQB and how dare you). It's also having me look back again at some of his previous outbursts and stuff in a little bit of a different light.

We're all trying to read between the lines, so I understand that not everyone will agree with this take. I also acknowledge (and sincerely hope) that once this is in the rear mirror it'll just be a forgotten speed bump, and Baker comes out in the new season on fire and going scorched Earth on the league (on the field).
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:07 PM
This is my advise to Baker, Kevin Stefanski and Andrew Berry.

Baker.
Grow up and stop communicating via social media. Stop being a drama queen. Take the criticism on your kind and move on. Be the adult in the room and contact Stefanski and Berry and ask for a personal meeting. Admit your shortcomings and promise that whatever happen you will improve and act like an adult. Start there.

Kevin Stefanski.
Be the father figure you never was. Open your arms and welcome a young insecure man by sharing your wisdoms. Whatever happen promise to hold no grudges and say you’re willing to start all over again building a good and fruitful companionship. If you split ways do it with class and integrity.

Andrew Berry.
You’re responsible for the majority of this fiasco. Take full responsibility against media and be the one who inform team mates what’s going on and how to move forward. Help Kevin and Baker by being supportive. Include Baker and show him respect. If you part ways do it with class. Finally. Stop being a smart a** and talk in riddles where you say everything but mean nothing.

This is my take on this. To continue with this passive aggressive fight will only be counterproductive.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:08 PM
As proved by his statement last night Baker is too immature to handle matters like this. It shows on the field.

Yeah, you sound like the type who would let somebody stab you in the back and then suck up to them in return.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:09 PM
Wow man... getting crazy early on a Thursday...

Browns FO did exactly what they told Baker they would a couple weeks ago... if there was a top tier QB available like Watson they would explore it... they did... didn't work out... right now Baker is the QB if he's healthy...

Guy has been a decent QB so far for us... has a ton of turn overs and batted balls... has been up and down... I'm hoping that if we do roll with him this year that he has a great year...
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:13 PM

Yeah, you sound like the type who would let somebody stab you in the back and then suck up to them in return.

No one stabbed him in the back. His coach, GM, and Owner attempted to improve the team. It happens to every other position on the team. Why should QB be any different? It is a business. It is not personal. He should man up, stay quite, and if he remains QB perform on the field and then his employers will not attempt to up grade his position.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:13 PM
They also told us they valued character and accountability. Obviously that was a lie so you have decided you believe their PR BS now?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:15 PM
Yeah, two weeks ago they claimed he will be their starter....... Until shortly after he wasn't. You don't support me, I don't support you. Life is a two way street.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:20 PM
18mil will soften the blow.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:22 PM
They also told us they valued character and accountability. Obviously that was a lie so you have decided you believe their PR BS now?

So we need to cut Hunt... glad we traded Higgins with his speeding issues... same with Willis.... I can't believe we brought on OBJ when he sexually assaulted a police officer....

I'll say it again... Watson is a creep but there wasn't enough there to even charge him criminally... he would have been a MASSIVE upgrade to our QB situation and is young enough to potentially be here for the next ten years...

As it is, he wants to stay in warmer weather... and we currently have a starting QB coming off surgery who has more INTs than any other QB in the last couple of years...
Posted By: The Beast Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:26 PM
Are there ANY adults in the room that can make FOOTBALL based decisions to get them to the Super Bowl? Or is it just social media nonsense, coach speak, front office spin, etc.? Geezus. It's football, not rocket science. The statistical probability of NEVER going to a Super Bowl at this point has to be off the charts. Enough already!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:28 PM
Yeah, 22 women are lying and Deshawn is the arbiter of truth.

Hunt paid for his actions, apologized and earned a second chance. Deshawn? People just keep spewing this BS like the scenario is the same. It's not.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:30 PM
j/c:

Begin attempting to mend those fences while looking for Plan B.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:31 PM
Yeah, two weeks ago they claimed he will be their starter....... Until shortly after he wasn't.

And as most people know here, press conference comments don't mean anything regarding truth or direction.

But we, and I think I can speak in the plural here, WE understand you'd be a bit salty since you tried to ridicule people who already knew this element of PCs and pointed it out from the jump. But hey, you do you.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:35 PM
jc

like i said before, and purp responded great to it. if Baker is our starter, is Amari next?

somehow his batted passes are gonna be Chubb and Hunt's fault? Njoku gonna get released mid season?

we gonna toss Stefanski under the bus. all these players leaving, and yet somehow its never Mayfield's fault.

dude is gonna be 100% healthy this season. i dont want hear a freaking excuse from anyone if he still leads the league in picks and batted passes.
Swish I think a lot of people just want to see a healthy Baker in 2022 and then go from there. The fact is that when he was healthy, this team went to the playoffs. We just want to see if it can happen again. If not, and he performs as you mention, then yeah, goodbye Baker. But seriously, enough of the commercials and tweets. Just play football already.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:43 PM
Kevin Stefanski.
Be the father figure you never was.

I understand what you're getting at (there's shared responsibility in getting us here), but that is so not Stefanski's job. Maybe in college when they're actually kids... but he's a pro, been a pro for a few years, and is making a case to earn a second contract.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by The Beast
Swish I think a lot of people just want to see a healthy Baker in 2022 and then go from there. The fact is that when he was healthy, this team went to the playoffs. We just want to see if it can happen again. If not, and he performs as you mention, then yeah, goodbye Baker. But seriously, enough of the commercials and tweets. Just play football already.

I can't see how this had become lost over the last 12 months. If Baker was the reason why Baker played injured all of last year we don't have a QB problem we have a Coaching Staff problem. The assumption has to be they thought he gave us the better chance to win, or we have a coaching staff problem.

If we have concerns with Baker's maturity I think it has to have been well hidden from the public. Or someone can point out the glaring issue I am missing. I don't buy the Instagram post people labeled as a goodbye letter as a big issue if we were chasing after a guy accused of harassing 2 dozen women he selected from social media. I get drawing lines over what you can accept and what you can't, but that seems totally backwards.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:47 PM
Yeah, 22 women are lying and Deshawn is the arbiter of truth.

Hunt paid for his actions, apologized and earned a second chance. Deshawn? People just keep spewing this BS like the scenario is the same. It's not.

You're right... they're not the same... there was video evidence that Hunt beat a woman... for DW so far we've seen there wasn't enough evidence for a criminal charge...

but it's beside the point, you act like we should only bring choir boys onto the team which is unrealistic..

Do I think DW did something improper? sure... do I think he's a creep... sure... but to act like our FO is ridiculous for pursuing him is laughable to me... either way, we disagree on this subject but it doesn't really matter...we're not getting him, so we both have to hope and pray Baker can actually turn it around or we can find a replacement.

He had a good year in 2020, and I'm praying he can get back to that... I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB... but if he can get back to his 2020 form we should at least compete for the division...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:49 PM
Mature QBs get a private QB coach.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:54 PM
I will certainly do what seems logical. If a FO made public statements about me being the future QB and then publicly made a mockery of that and showed they did not support me, I would publicly treat them in the exact same manner they treated me. Then of course I would have people like you blaming that on me for giving them exactly what they gave me. I admire people who stick up for themselves. I'm not a corporate ass kisser even if it's the Browns.
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:58 PM
Haslam is clueless about many things, but you’re going a little overboard mac.

Lamp..so I'm the one going overboard...lord help YOU and those who don't have a lick of common sense when it comes to how to treat your own players or how to get the most out of your team.

Suddenly, all that media hype supporting Haslam's attempt to throw Mayfield under the bus...THEY ARE DEAD SILENT..!

Wonder why that is..?

Haslam and Depodesta just made one of the NFL's worst blunders, EVER..! ...we want an adult at QB..!

Maybe Haslam and his right hand BASEBALL CHILD should stare at themselves in a mirror for a few months...neither Jimma or Depo are qualified to be in charge of an NFL franchise and until Browns fans realize they can't trust either of them...Browns fans will get the end results of their ineptness.

How bout this...Browns fans WANT AN "ADULT OWNER" and a "FOOTBALL GUY RUNNING THE SO CALLED ANALYTICS DEPT"...!!

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by jaybird
you act like we should only bring choir boys onto the team which is unrealistic..

rofl

Yeah, that's what it is. the fact you wish to compare a guy with 22 sexual accusers is the same thing as me wanting choirboys. Do you even hear yourself?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:04 PM

That's a t-shirt idea! Call GV Artwork.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:04 PM
According to Pluto the Browns are denying they ever made the 'adult' comment. However he also stated that he know Mort and Mort wouldnt have said it if it wasnt true. Luckily for the Browns they have several layers where they can burying such a mistake, while Baker just has to own his. I didnt read Baker's letter the way everyone else did, it sounded to me more like a 'Hey Ill play hard wherever I am". message. The Browns were looking to move on I believe and they will grab any excuse to do so at this point. I just fear we are wasting a lot of talent to target a good draft spot way earlier than we should.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:04 PM
you act like we should only bring choir boys onto the team which is unrealistic..

rofl

Yeah, that's what it is. the fact you wish to compare a guy with 22 sexual accusers is the same thing as me wanting choirboys. Do you even hear yourself?

My hearing is just fine... thank you for your concern...
Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:13 PM

rofl

pit...on this message board, one of the most difficult things for some to admit is, THEY WERE WRONG..!!

How many of you gave one thought about what a mess it was going to be for the Browns franchise when the first woman in Cleveland accused Watson of inappropriate sexual conduct..?

What would Haslam and Depo do..?

Talk about a grenade about to explode in Cleveland...that is what this franchise would have been facing.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:18 PM
so we have no higgins, no OBJ, no jarvis, no Hooper.

only weapon we tried to replace is getting Amari Cooper. While i think our TE's are solid, if we have some questionable WR's like everyone says we do, then we should be trying to make a play for Allen Robinson, right?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:20 PM
What if Allen Robinson is waiting to see where Watson lands?
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:21 PM
I agree I think Allen Robinson would be a huge get for the Browns.
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:22 PM
then i guess its WR at 13? i dunno how much a rookie will contribute though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:22 PM

only weapon we tried to replace is getting Amari Cooper. While i think our TE's are solid, if we have some questionable WR's like everyone says we do, then we should be trying to make a play for Allen Robinson, right?

We were rumored to be in on Robinson Monday. We’ll sign another receiver for sure.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:25 PM
I will certainly do what seems logical.

Yeah, but that wasn't logical.

Care to address the second half of the post?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:33 PM
I believe people were trying real hard to read way more into this than what it was.

The Browns tried to improve the quarterback position play. They went after Watson and they told Baker.

Watson will play for another team. Baker is under contract for 2022 and the Browns could franchise him in 2023 if they wish.

All the other noise is people trying to get attention.

Baker will play for the Browns. He is professional enough to know that he has to play his best.

This has been way overblown IMO

I agree about overblown. I do worry about Baker. I like the guy, but he is a bit of a head case. Already writing and releasing his farewell letter is a little dramatic, no?

He will play this year, but I worry about him playing here after that. I don't know the franchise rate, but it has to be pushing 40 mil a year. I don't think the guy will sign here. Just the way he is IMO.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:34 PM

None of those guys did much for us, so I don't see a big loss.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:35 PM

thats one way to get a happy ending
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:38 PM

Jarvis was a leader that helped turn this team around
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:40 PM

Here's what the depth chart looks like. You can put Felton in there, he's listed with the RB's. This looks pretty thin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:41 PM
Yea we need some help
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:43 PM

Here's what the depth chart looks like. You can put Felton in there, he's listed with the RB's. This looks pretty thin.

I see us drafting a WR or two and at least 1 TE , we may go after one or the other in FA also ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:45 PM

The new league year started yesterday and we already have a new #1 wide receiver. We are not in a bad spot.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:47 PM

100%... Jarvis certainly hurts.... I liked Hooper and thought Higgins had talent, but Jarvis is a big hole to fill from a talent and leadership stand point. Didn't have a great year last year, but he'll be missed.

We need to bring in more weapons at WR... I think we'll draft a WR in the first three rounds and would like to bring on another via FA...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:47 PM
I am on the year to year plan.

So much happens each year. Hell I thought there is no way on this earth that the 2021 would not have a better record than the 2020 team.

Wrong.

So, I know Baker can play well. That is what i am looking for. Win the North in 2022.

Then take it from there.

Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:55 PM
Here is the issue with Baker Mayfield. He is either the 3rd or 4th best QB in the AFC North. He is nt better than the Bengals QB Joe Borrow. He is not better than Lamar Jackson. He may be slightly better than Micth Trubisky. Their career stats are actually very similar but Baker has played on superior teams than Mitch.

Baker is an average at best QB. He could possibly be a game manager but the problem is he turns the ball over too much to be a game manager. Baker wants to be a gun slinger QB but he lacks the pure talent. He does not see the field well enough. A #1 overall QB should never have been a short QB. I would have rather swung and missed with Sam Darnold on draft night. In hinds sight the Browns should have drafted John Allen.

Baker is immature and his selfish goodbye letter about himself to the fans proved that. He freelances on the field in structured offense. When his strengths on the field is when he takes what the defense gives him and streads the ball around. He does not seem to be well liked in the locker room. Probably because he sees himself more highly than what he is.

The Browns roster is ready to win now. What is holding the team back? Baker. Reminds me of the Bengals with Andy Dalton. Best roster in the NFL with an everage at best QB holding them back.

Only way the Browns should bring him back is if he was willing to give up his social media accounts, his commercials / celebrity, be a work out warrior, first man in the building and last man to leave. Figure out a way to see the field better and actually be able to use his best attribute. His big arm.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:57 PM

100%... Jarvis certainly hurts.... I liked Hooper and thought Higgins had talent, but Jarvis is a big hole to fill from a talent and leadership stand point. Didn't have a great year last year, but he'll be missed.

We need to bring in more weapons at WR... I think we'll draft a WR in the first three rounds and would like to bring on another via FA...

Jarvis was a big deal for us. Not so much last year. He will not be a big loss but he was a great leader that helped turn this team around
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:57 PM
I'm trying to stay out of this whole pi$$ing match. But I will posit this: Mayfield had CeeDee Lamb, Marquis Brown, Sterling Sheperd, Mark Andrews, Joe Mixon, DeeDee Westbrooke among his receivers at OU. If we continue to get A-list receivers I think he'll be just fine after getting over his surgery and this DeShaun Watson fiasco.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:57 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:58 PM
Sure.

And as most people know here, press conference comments don't mean anything regarding truth or direction.

But we, and I think I can speak in the plural here, WE understand you'd be a bit salty since you tried to ridicule people who already knew this element of PCs and pointed it out from the jump. But hey, you do you.

Many of those very same people are posting and claiming that yet another PR statement is accurate. The claim that the FO talked to Baker's people and explained they would only pursue an upgrade at the QB position as of their public statement.

It's a case of believing such statements if it helps support what they believe on one hand and making excuses why we shouldn't believe them on the other hand. I'm not salty, I'm entertained by it all.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:58 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by TrooperDawg
I'm trying to stay out of this whole pi$$ing match. But I will posit this: Mayfield had CeeDee Lamb, Marquis Brown, Sterling Sheperd, Mark Andrews, Joe Mixon, DeeDee Westbrooke among his receivers at OU. If we continue to get A-list receivers I think he'll be just fine after getting over his surgery and this DeShaun Watson fiasco.

They just can’t be too a list.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:10 PM

Could have been made by some random person in the office that has a grudge too. That's what I hate about "A source told me", and If I was an executive and one of my staff was making statements like that I'd put out some threats of pink slips if/when I find out who. An "adult" would know not to say things like that to the media.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:10 PM

(sarcasm not directed to Memphis)

Really? It made it's way to Baker? I mean, it was posted on this board how many times. Of course it got to Baker.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:12 PM
I heard it came from “a Florida Man”.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:12 PM
It's a case of believing such statements if it helps support what they believe on one hand and making excuses why we shouldn't believe them on the other hand. I'm not salty, I'm entertained by it all.

Self entertained? Because you do this every single day on these forums.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by FloridaFan

Could have been made by some random person in the office that has a grudge too. That's what I hate about "A source told me", and If I was an executive and one of my staff was making statements like that I'd put out some threats of pink slips if/when I find out who. An "adult" would know not to say things like that to the media.

I don’t think Mort would run with it if it was just a random person.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:17 PM
That was pretty quick witted of you. Not that it all made any sense. Yes, when nobody should believe the FO one hand and then people retweet something that makes them look golden, it is entertaining.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:17 PM

My money is on Haslam. He's always doing something stupid.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:18 PM

I find it hard to believe anyone with any real position in the organization would make such a comment to a reporter, if they did, then we have a staff of people who need to start conducting themselves like adults.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:19 PM
That's the thing about sources. It's a lot like statements made by the FO. When a source says something people agree with they're a great source. When that exact same source says something they don't agree with, they become sketchy.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:24 PM
...It was Baker. Baker's the source. OBJ gave him lessons on trying to force oneself off of a team.

I kid, but at the same time, it would be a very Browns thing to go down. And I can't rule it out. I could see a reporter calling Baker to get his feelings on Cleveland's pursuit of Watson and his being emotional enough to vent.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:25 PM
Somebody saw another chance to take a cheap shot at Baker… So we'll have to see where that got them.

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:26 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree - our TE's are not solid when your top guy has only averaged 30 receptions per year over the last 5-years. In 2021, 37.6% of his total yardage production came in one game when he went 7/149. The other 16 games he was 29/326 which was consistent with his production the previous 4-years. In 2020, the Browns playoff year, over 13 games Njoku blistered the stat line with 19/213. Nope, the Browns TE's are not solid by any stretch of the imagination. Those who keep saying he has a high upside - I ask - how long do we wait for that upside to materialize? Afterall, it's been 5-years and we're still waiting while people on this forum are crucifying Mayfield for a single season after a playoff appearance and being rated a top-5 QB in 2020 and then completed 81.6% of his passes in 2021 the first 2 games prior to his injury. Hmm, 14 bad games after exhibiting a really high upside - ship his azz out - 5-years waiting for that upside - give him 10.931M franchise tag which is an 81.8% raise.

So right now, the Browns are sitting on $16,263,641 in available cap. Hubbard, Walker and Grant's contracts haven't been released yet because they haven't signed so they haven't been applied to the cap. The Browns are missing 1 or 2 starting WR's on offense still. The Browns also need to address the defense where they have lost 2 DT's, Clowney at DE and what was originally thought to be an upgrade at LB in addition to special teams and depth. IMHO, the Browns surely don't expect to start 2 rookie WR's or 3-4 rookies on defense if they expect to be competitive in the AFC North. The Browns have been very quiet since FA started and have many big holes to fill. It will be interesting to see how the Browns address the holes over the next few days and months.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:26 PM
That's the thing about sources. It's a lot like statements made by the FO. When a source says something people agree with they're a great source. When that exact same source says something they don't agree with, they become sketchy.

Yes, that's why if they don't put a name to it, I don't put much truth to it without more to back it up. I do believe where there is smoke there is most likely fire.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:29 PM
How do you see that Tweet as being against Baker?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:32 PM
I understand that POV. I rely more on the actual source that's Tweeting the information. I can understand why giving up your source would make it impossible to get future information. If the person tweeting the information is reputable for the most part I give it a lot more credence than someone of a more questionable reputation or some hack from a fan site.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:33 PM
You forgot the +9.5 for Hooper won't be reported until June 1st ... So without Hubbard Walker and Grant we have $25,763,641
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:38 PM
Not to be difficult but the Browns have to carry Hooper's 13.254M as part of the cap until June 1. That money is not available for use until after June 1 so no - the Browns do not have $25,763,641 available.
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:40 PM

Posted By: mac Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:41 PM
We're all trying to read between the lines, so I understand that not everyone will agree with this take.

oobs...go ahead and make another of your MANY EXCUSES for the worst owner in the NFL and the BASEBALL GUY Jimma hired to run interference for him.

Neither Jimma or Depo are qualified to lead a NFL franchise, but you are welcome to continue making excuses for their performances.

If you were an NFL player, would you want to work for an owner like Haslam or his sidekick, the BASEBALL GUY?

Jimma and Depo threw Mayfield under the bus, SPOUTING..."we want an adult for QB"...BEFORE THEY HAD WATSON SIGNED...

OOBS..how freaking stupid was that comment, BEFORE WATSON MADE A COMMITMENT TO PLAY FOR JIMMA AND DEPO...?

If I'm Watson, I view that comment as a prelude to how Jimma and Depo would treat me if their plan didn't work out as they imagined. Watson had to think that he would be thrown underneath the Jimma/Depo BUS if Watson in Cleveland didn't go as well as Jimma expected.

Some of you don't even want to think about the damage Jimma and Depo just did to this franchise...

oobs...you can pretend all you want but I doubt that any free agents considering the Browns as a potential landing spot won't look at this fiasco as a WARNING, that Cleveland under Jimma Haslam and depo...NOT A PLACE THEY WOULD WANT TO PLAY FOR.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Not to be difficult but the Browns have to carry Hooper's 13.254M as part of the cap until June 1. That money is not available for use until after June 1 so no - the Browns do not have $25,763,641 available.

Its still there ???
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:46 PM
This divorce is going to be messier than Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's!
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea

If you didn't see this coming raise your hand!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:49 PM
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:49 PM
IF correct, and true................the Browns just screwed up in a huge way. Poor Amari...........like "what the ????"
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:50 PM
Pretty much.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:50 PM

If Seattle offers a #1 Baker would be traded today ...
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:50 PM
The Organization just wiped all the good feelings of the 2020 , 11-5 season at light speed. Players have to be shaking their heads. Going to be an interesting locker room & it will be all Bakers fault..lol
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:52 PM
Man this FO is turning into a clown show. They def. get an F so far this offseason. They will have to draft 5 pro bowl players to even get back to a C with all this drama
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:52 PM

Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 07:59 PM
What else did Berry expect ? In my foggy mind I kinda think that the Watson deal was Haslam & Stefanski and Berry got caught in the middle . Not sure about Depo.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:00 PM
Didn't take us long to whip that Culture back in it's old direction, did it.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Somebody saw another chance to take a cheap shot at Baker… So we'll have to see where that got them.

Hello.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:01 PM

The Seahawks? What QB do they have to give us in return?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
The Seahawks? What QB do they have to give us in return?

Autographed Sound Garden t-shirt.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:04 PM
j/c:

I hope we keep Baker and think he will play really well this season, as long as he stays healthy.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:07 PM
the great Drew Locke
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:07 PM
Just heard on 92.3 the fan, Ken Carmen said to trade Baker to the Jaguars to be Trevor Lawrence's backup, lol.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:10 PM
Dude is weak.... not surprised... really was hoping we could move forward with him this year, but at this point if you get a good offer then trade him and move on...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:14 PM
Pretty much.

Pretty much. Browns are not going to publicly say 'yes' and lessen the leverage with other teams.
Posted By: hitt Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:16 PM
JMHO, we spent the NUMBER ONE pick on a guy who Dorsey the great thought had lots of MOXIE/ATTITUDE and would make winners of all around him. Turns out we got one VERY SWEET playoff win over PIT, and one nice season...yet, drama, drama, drama raises its head once again. Pay me, I don't want you to bring competition into the equation. He's not very smart tackling a guy after getting picked.....especially in a show me year. He's worked hard, and he's better than Manziel....but as a NUMBER ONE pick....he's a bust. And, he's such an adult he demands a trade.....boo-hoo for the millionaire. These guys have NO idea what the real world is like. We are all suckers for spending money and time on them. Including me. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:17 PM
Dude is weak.... not surprised... really was hoping we could move forward with him this year, but at this point if you get a good offer then trade him and move on...

Mentally weak and extremely sensitive. This was one of the reason he left Texas Tech as well. Klingsbury wouldn't just hand him the job wanted him to compete with Davis Webb that Spring.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:17 PM
I think Baker is making a mistake asking for a trade.

I don't think it helps his position or makes him more attractive to another team.

Football is a business.

Jimmy G went out and played when SF drafted Lance.

He did not go out begging or gripping about them drafting Lance or, requesting a trade.

Every player knows this is a business. Unless you are playing at a high level. Your job is at risk. Baker is foolish if he thinks he should be immune.

His absolute best course of action is to shut up and play his best. He will increase his value by doing that.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:17 PM
j/c:

I agree, Ken. I agree.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:19 PM
While funny to contemplate, I highly doubt your #1 QB for the past couple years acting like this was part of any plan.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:20 PM
They completely effed this whole thing up and now they’ll be in spin mode
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:22 PM
The Seahawks can send the Browns Drew Locke.

It's looking like this will be Berry and Stefanski's last year in Cleveland.

Of course, they can trade for injured throwing shoulder and oft injured Jimmy G who's only played 1 full season in the 5-years he's been in SFO that's in the final year of his deal and will cost the Browns 25.55M at least for a day. You can bet any restructure would have to be an extension costing way more than that 25M.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:23 PM
I have always backed Baker I love his competitive attitude, BUT, he is now showing his true self, its not about the team or his teammates, its all about him, get the best deal youcan and send him packing, let his attitude of self-righteousness destroy some other teams locker room ...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:24 PM
It's looking like this will be Berry and Stefanski's last year in Cleveland.

????
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:26 PM
idont understand why Baker is mentally weak for this. lets be clear here; this wasnt some "hey lets see what we need to get watson". they flew on a private jet with a trade packaged already approved to go get him. From Baker's perspective, you damn right he should be asking for a trade.

i wanted Watson, but i also said that baker has every right to feel some type of way about it. that and the news about the FO wanting an adult in the room? yea im out.

now here's why i humble myself: i, AS A FAN, was convinced when posters and the media stated that AB had a plan even if we didnt ;amnd Watson.

Something tells me he actually didn't. and if Berry and the FO went into the watson sweepstakes as a a pure YOLO move, then that is beyond reckless and pathetic.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:27 PM
Prediction : This season is going to be a disaster & it will be all Bakers fault according to posters here..lol
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:28 PM
if Berry and the FO went into the watson sweepstakes as a a pure YOLO move, then that is beyond reckless and pathetic.

they did, it is
Posted By: Dave Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:28 PM
Baker can want whatever he wants, but he is here until the Browns don't want him here. If he plays well enough in '22 to keep, they can franchise tag him the next 2 years. Nothing needs to happen until the Browns decide it needs to happen. Baker has to know he will hurt himself worse than he hurts the Browns by not giving his best efforts in the coming season if he's still here.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:29 PM
if Berry and the FO went into the watson sweepstakes as a a pure YOLO move, then that is beyond reckless and pathetic.

they did, it is

Don't believe that for a second, they have a plan and Baker was never Part of it!!!
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc

they did, it is

Don't believe that for a second, they have a plan and Baker was never Part of it!!!

They told Baker he was. But now he is the problem for wanting out of a plan he was never part of?
Posted By: The Beast Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:34 PM
Another classic Browns move. Good luck Baker. The Browns front office can suck it. Nice job Jimmy, Andrew, Depo and whoever else factored into this nightmare of a PR move. Dumbasses. I never thought there was a more clueless owner than Modell. I was wrong.
Posted By: hitt Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:37 PM
Ditto, and it would prove he's an adult. Feel sad for these millionaires.....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:38 PM
Our FO is a joke.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:42 PM
I think our illustrious Owner is/was the driving force behind all this. Forced the FO's hand. They are paying the price for that now.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Our FO is a joke.

The more things change....
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:46 PM
Front office is the one area I think you don't go young and inexperienced.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:46 PM
Ask yourself who’s the biggest loser in all this.

It was clear from the first second that going after Watson was a stupid move. Read what many said immediately on this board when the news was out.

A couple of days later the Browns is left with a dumpster fire. Watson said NO. (Who blame him) Mayfield says NO. (surprise) Probably anyone with talent, a decent agent or a intact brain will says NO. Only top top dollar and mediocre players will be the left overs to Andrew Berry and his brain trust.

Congratulations Mary Kay C and the other local hyenas who orchestrated this. You all got what you deserves. Chaos in ClownLand.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:48 PM

Jarvis was a big deal for us. Not so much last year. He will not be a big loss but he was a great leader that helped turn this team around

Don't take my comments to think I don't know what Jarvis brought. But we are past that, or he is now past that. Things change.

Right now we look at the depth chart and think it looks bad...it's not how it starts, it's how it ends. At worst, we will end up with a full allotment of receivers and in the end, they will play at least as good as what we had.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:54 PM
My favorite video of the beginning of the 2019 season. Times have changed a bit...

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:56 PM
Really, you don't think that if the Browns tank this year with or without Mayfield that the Brown's ownership is going to accept missing the playoffs 2 years in a row with the talent they have had on this team? IMHO, the reason you don't see those top-rated players coming to Cleveland is because of Stefanski. Look at the trend - Cousins worst year in the last 7 years was when Stefanski was OC. Diggs, and it's verified, demanded a trade because his targets were cut under Stefanski. OBJ demanded a trade in May of 2021, way before Bakers bad year and just off a playoff appearance by the Browns. Hooper was signed to the richest TE deal ever at the time and Stefanski refused to use his skill set and cut his targets by over 35%. Running 2-3 TE sets that allowed the defenses to stack the box greatly reducing the Browns ground attack. Let's not forget that through this all, the #1 and #2 RB's for the Browns were missing time with injuries too. This is the same coach that left an unproven T to try and block the leagues sack leader and failed to make any adjustments as the world watched Mayfield get creamed play after play by Watts. I'm not even trying to say Baker wasn't at some fault but he was injured and should have been benched - another Stefanski decision that has led to this mess we are now witnessing.

If Mayfield is gone - good luke to him. Maybe he will get out of Cleveland before they totally wreck him like they've done to 29 before him. It makes you think that when OBJ said "They send you to Cleveland to Die," he was right.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:58 PM

It was clear from the first second that going after Watson was a stupid move. Read what many said immediately on this board when the news was out.

A couple of days later the Browns is left with a dumpster fire. Watson said NO. (Who blame him) Mayfield says NO. (surprise) Probably anyone with talent, a decent agent or a intact brain will says NO. Only top top dollar and mediocre players will be the left overs to Andrew Berry and his brain trust.

Congratulations Mary Kay C and the other local hyenas who orchestrated this. You all got what you deserves. Chaos in ClownLand.

Whats worse is there are conversations that the Browns were told they were a long shot before it even got started.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 08:58 PM
Really, you don't think that if the Browns tank this year with or without Mayfield that the Brown's ownership is going to accept missing the playoffs 2 years in a row with the talent they have had on this team? IMHO, the reason you don't see those top-rated players coming to Cleveland is because of Stefanski. Look at the trend - Cousins worst year in the last 7 years was when Stefanski was OC. Diggs, and it's verified, demanded a trade because his targets were cut under Stefanski. OBJ demanded a trade in May of 2021, way before Bakers bad year and just off a playoff appearance by the Browns. Hooper was signed to the richest TE deal ever at the time and Stefanski refused to use his skill set and cut his targets by over 35%. Running 2-3 TE sets that allowed the defenses to stack the box greatly reducing the Browns ground attack. Let's not forget that through this all, the #1 and #2 RB's for the Browns were missing time with injuries too. This is the same coach that left an unproven T to try and block the leagues sack leader and failed to make any adjustments as the world watched Mayfield get creamed play after play by Watts. I'm not even trying to say Baker wasn't at some fault but he was injured and should have been benched - another Stefanski decision that has led to this mess we are now witnessing.

If Mayfield is gone - good luke to him. Maybe he will get out of Cleveland before they totally wreck him like they've done to 29 before him. It makes you think that when OBJ said "They send you to Cleveland to Die," he was right.

Maybe you should go with him ....
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:06 PM
Congratulations Mary Kay C and the other local hyenas who orchestrated this.

The media have no influence - or minimal - on team decisions. Neither do fans. If you think otherwise I think you are greatly mistaken.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:06 PM
And again, people like you that offer nothing to the conversation that are just here to lash out at people who have a different opinion than you so you can get off on thinking you're smarter than anyone else is the problem with this forum. Even though the vast majority of the time you are wrong - you still post your silly jabs at people who differ with your own opinion. Maybe you should be the person that just leaves so that us Browns fans can have a spirited discussion about the team we support. Your posts are nothing but worthless attacks - go to the Steelers or Ravens boards - you'll fit in better.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:07 PM

The fans
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:08 PM

Does this mean you are starting to understand the concept of confirmation bias?
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:10 PM
And again, people like you that offer nothing to the conversation that are just here to lash out at people who have a different opinion than you so you can get off on thinking you're smarter than anyone else is the problem with this forum. Even though the vast majority of the time you are wrong - you still post your silly jabs at people who differ with your own opinion. Maybe you should be the person that just leaves so that us Browns fans can have a spirited discussion about the team we support. Your posts are nothing but worthless attacks - go to the Steelers or Ravens boards - you'll fit in better.

lol I have been a Browns fan since 1963 and love the TEAM Baker made it about himself and you have no Idea about me you don't know me yet you tell me to leave the board, maybe you should take your own advice ...
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Does this mean you are starting to understand the concept of confirmation bias?

I would hope, at a minimum, he's understanding political news.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:12 PM
idont understand why Baker is mentally weak for this. lets be clear here; this wasnt some "hey lets see what we need to get watson". they flew on a private jet with a trade packaged already approved to go get him. From Baker's perspective, you damn right he should be asking for a trade.

i wanted Watson, but i also said that baker has every right to feel some type of way about it. that and the news about the FO wanting an adult in the room? yea im out.

now here's why i humble myself: i, AS A FAN, was convinced when posters and the media stated that AB had a plan even if we didnt ;amnd Watson.

Something tells me he actually didn't. and if Berry and the FO went into the watson sweepstakes as a a pure YOLO move, then that is beyond reckless and pathetic.
I agree 100%.

on a private jet with a trade packaged already approved

"investigate if a top-tier QB is available"

These two things are NOT the same.

Smokescreen / scapegoat / smear campaign
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:14 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Squires Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:32 PM
NCAA isn't the only march madness going on.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:44 PM
I was listening to Keyshawn and Orlovsky. Keyshawn who was traded said Baker is gone. He said once a player says he has had enough.

They find a way to get rid of him. Orlovsky said the same thing. They said you will not hear from other players supporting once he says I want out.

They should know.

The options do not look good. Baker is worth a second or third.

Then what?
Posted By: Squires Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:45 PM

Then what?

0-17
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:45 PM
Baker is not getting traded until we have someone else ready to go.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 09:46 PM
Baker is worth a second or third.

Then what?

look for a good QB for another 20 years.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:16 PM
I demand that there be a new Progressive commercial released immediately that involves moving vans in front of CBS.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:29 PM
I demand that there be a new Progressive commercial released immediately that involves moving vans in front of CBS.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:30 PM
I HeartEmoji the Internets.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:38 PM
Sure.

Many of those very same people are posting and claiming that yet another PR statement is accurate. The claim that the FO talked to Baker's people and explained they would only pursue an upgrade at the QB position as of their public statement.

I'm not talking about any PR statement or twitter media source and you know that. I'm talking about a PC from Berry himself that you ignorantly believed.

Still salty, I see.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:49 PM
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 10:49 PM
To be respectful, you have no idea how long I've been a fan either and you my friend was the first to cut by saying I should go with him. You think Baker has made this about himself - I disagree. However, rather than a spirited discussion which I was looking for you decided to make it about yourself and send out worthless comments that have nothing to do with the topic. You see, when you send out posts like that rather than engaging in a serious discussion you tell everyone a lot about yourself. I leave it at that and would rather talk Browns but obviously you want to go low - already then!
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 11:17 PM
You know, we always said it would nice to be talking about something other than the draft and next season after October, guess none of us thought it would be this? smile
Posted By: jfanent Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/17/22 11:30 PM
Baker the bawl baby just needs to zip it. He's making 18mil after the worst performance by a qb in the entire NFL. I realize he was hurt and that played a big part, but you can't fault the FO for looking at a plan B. They really screwed the pooch in how they did it, but Mayfield doesn't need to cry in public, either.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:00 AM
It's almost like Mayfield has never worked a real professional job in his life before.

People have problems every day at work, bad mouth the management, criticize the direction something is going, but you've got to have enough self control to know who you do it in front of and when.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:00 AM
How do you see that Tweet as being against Baker?

The Browns want an adult at QB thing was what I was talking about. The tweet I just shared. Keep up. wink
Posted By: BADdog Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:02 AM
Baker will end up being a very successful QB in the NFL
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:03 AM
I'm just happy that our off-seasons aren't boring anymore
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:06 AM
Baker the bawl baby just needs to zip it. He's making 18mil after the worst performance by a qb in the entire NFL. I realize he was hurt and that played a big part, but you can't fault the FO for looking at a plan B. They really screwed the pooch in how they did it, but Mayfield doesn't need to cry in public, either.

I'm not quite here - but really close.

The best bet for Baker to play well on a really good team is the Browns. Playing well and just getting on with it and playing for a measly $18m will be the best way to get to a bigger contract next year - and if you are still that butt hurt, don't play under a franchise tag and tell the team you won't sign.

I understand there might be a loss of trust. I understand the KS is very conservative and had some play calling last year that was flat out dangerous to Baker. But it's a business. Get on with it and get off social media.

I was and will remain a Baker supporter. I think he's going to do very well for someone if the situation is right. But at some point stop with the drama, handle business behind closed doors.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:06 AM
Baker will end up being a very successful QB in the NFL
As long as he can improve on.that 18.0 rating he has in the
,4th quarter.
Mayfield is a good QB has long as he has double digit lead
Going into the 4th quarter
Posted By: Swish Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:06 AM

Bro the national media remembers we exist!! Victory!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:13 AM

Bro the national media remembers we exist!! Victory!

The last few offseasons were a struggle.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:19 AM
I have always backed Baker I love his competitive attitude, BUT, he is now showing his true self, its not about the team or his teammates, its all about him, get the best deal youcan and send him packing, let his attitude of self-righteousness destroy some other teams locker room ...

NO HE'S NOT! The internet was flooded with the report browns wanted an adult at QB. That was his final straw I'm sure. I'd tell the Browns to pound salt too after that.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:22 AM

NO HE'S NOT! The internet was flooded with the report browns wanted an adult at QB. That was his final straw I'm sure. I'd tell the Browns to pound salt too after that.

Yeah, I have to agree.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:27 AM
I think it is comical that one of the worst statistical Quarterbacks in the NFL thinks he has the power to say he wants traded. He simply is not worth enough to trade at this point! Most analysts will say the Browns roster is ready to win now. What is holding them back the QB.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:33 AM
Do we think the team knew going after Watson would result in a breakup with Baker?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:35 AM
Do we think the team knew going after Watson would result in a breakup with Baker?

Yes.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:45 AM

Yes.

If so, don’t we also think that Andrew Berry has a plan in place? Does he seem like a person who would do something like this with no plan?
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:46 AM

Yes.

If so, don’t we also think that Andrew Berry has a plan in place? Does he seem like a person who would do something like this with no plan?

[Linked Image from s4.glose.com]
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:48 AM

Yes.

Which part was getting punched in the mouth?
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:57 AM
Baker was INJURED last year and played through the pain and yet the fans hate him. The fans want him gone, the front office wants him gone, so now that he is on board with that and wants to be gone too he's a cry baby? Two years ago we won a playoff game for the first time in DECADES and the fans still hate him. I don't blame him for wanting to be out of here. No one wants him to be here. Not the fans, not the front office. So draft a QB at 13 and trade him. I hope he goes on to win a bunch of championships. Meanwhile, we are right back where we were before we drafted him. Without a QB and hoping we can find one. But that was what you guys wanted. Remember? Baker sucks. Remember? So now Baker is probably gone which falls under "Careful what you wish for, you may surely get it". The Browns could mess up a wet dream.
Posted By: FATE Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 12:59 AM

Yes.

Which part was getting punched in the mouth?
Looking like idiots going against everything your organization's mantra preaches.
Going after a QB you were never going to sign... and even if you did, a wild card with a scarred image that would cost a king's ransom in assets.
Losing the QB you already have and any chance for proper assets to be returned for him.
Becoming the laughing stock with the media and fan base to the point where any QB would look like an idiot if he came here.
Starting over, Jenga style, because you didn't have the common sense to shop and trade Baker for another QB if he "wasn't your guy".
Taking a window that was still wide-open, after a multi-year construction project and nailing plywood over it with the sign "closed for the season".
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:03 AM

Yes.

I don't know if he does or not. But he better find a QB fast. Move up in the draft or take one at 13. They made absolutely sure that Baker wants out. A guy that took us to the playoffs and won the first playoff game in decades and the Browns and fans couldn't wait to run him out of town. All of you haters are getting what you want. Baker gone and we are back once again trying to find a QB. That always works out so well for us. Happy now? You got what you wanted.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:09 AM

Yes.

IF Berry wasn't thrust into this by ownership, possibly. I think it more likely that they knew he was under contract no matter what, so they rolled the dice. Now we are here. I would sleuth out whoever said they want an adult at the position and make a very public firing. That might fix crap.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:10 AM

Exactly. They made SURE to make this as public as possible. They WANTED him gone. The fans too. The hate pointed at Baker is kind of surprising considering he is clearly the best QB we have had since Kosar. That is a LONG time between QB's. Is he perfect? No. But he showed that when he is healthy he can take this team to the playoffs. I wish him the best of luck where ever he ends up. He beat tiny Ben in his last playoff appearance. That alone puts him pretty high in my book. Meanwhile, we now have to draft a QB. I wasn't really paying attention to the QB class this year because I had no idea the Browns would try so hard to get rid of the one we already had. Seems like moving up in the draft is now a priority so we can get the best available.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:13 AM
After OBJ pulled his classless crap, the fan base split and Baker caught crap for that POS. I blame OBJ for the WRs performance problems last year and the team's overall performance down the stretch. 100% OBJ.

That started the hole process of should we move on or not. This kid put it all on the field last year, hell every year, and this is the thanks he gets. I'd tell the Browns to pound salt too.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:16 AM
I would sleuth out whoever said they want an adult at the position and make a very public firing. That might fix crap.

I'm on board with that... you can have those thoughts and internal discussions all day long... you don't tell that to media... completely unprofessional.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:21 AM
First things first. Baker is under contract. Secondly, after last year's performance, he has no trade value. He may want traded, but that does not mean teams want to trade for him. I look at his letter as someone who knows the stakes. His request for a trade is something any player would do when they find out they are looking to be replaced. Bottom line is, he really has no choice in the matter, besides sitting the season out, which would kill his career. The smartest move for him is to work hard, have a good season, then look at his options. He has no guarantee to be a starter anywhere right now, except Cleveland. The NFL is a business, he has to understand this by now. Players good and bad are traded all the time. Goff took the Rams to the playoffs and was replaced, I didn't see anybody on here saying how bad the LA front office was for doing it.

All the high moral folks on here got their wish, and Watson is going elsewhere. Now all the Haslam haters are out in full force, all the while overlooking the good moves he made over the past couple years

Mayfield, the guy many claim is best when doubted, has a chance to prove himself now. The chip on his shoulder should be pretty big now.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Baker Mayfield - 03/18/22 01:22 AM

Yes.

Not if they were arrogant enough to believe they had the inside track on signing DW which u believer they felt. Maybe Not if they didn't realize how every move they made was going to be front page, hour by hour drama. Maybe they thought they could handle Baker and any disappointment...

Bottom line, we have a championship talented roster albeit with a good draft and a couple of solid FA signings. But our QB situation is at this moment is totally fkd.... That isn't good planning.... Now if you want to spin this in some sort of positive light, when currently all the QB options look worse than a healthy Baker..... Don't!!! Come Back and talk to me when we know who the QB is, coz eventing else seems like wishful thinking.... Not being snarky, I just mean suggesting Berry must have a plan without any sort of evidence is pure wishful thinking.
© DawgTalkers.net