Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Kinda surprised you dislike Mahomes so much.

I am not an expert on the guy. There are just some things that I don't like.

I think his accuracy is a huge issue and I would never want to draft a qb w/that issue w/in the first 3 rounds of the draft. I also get the feeling that he plays the game his way, rather than the coaches way, and I question if he'll come around w/coaching.

He's too risky to draft high in my opinion. But, I've been wrong before and will be again...

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm still hoping Trubisky falls. That's who I like.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I still think Mitch will be the best QB of the bunch but I'm leaning toward Mahomes as being the second best. I think the Browns taking him at 12 is a very real thing.

I have been watching as much as I can on these QBs and the more I watch Mahomes, the more I love the top end with him. The kid has an Elite arm right up there with the likes of Carr and Farve. He is an NFL body. 6-4, 230 range. He is a big kid and he plays big. He has very good mobility and incredible pocket awarness. Best mid and deep accuracy of any of the Qbs. He is perfect for Hue's offense in that he wants to go deep. Thats his goal is the big play and he puts it up and lets his receivers run to the ball.

Late first, I move up and take Mahomes. Get me ahead of Houston, and I draft Mahomes and let him develop for a year or two if need be.

I have been debating hard on it for awhile but I am finally ready to move Mahomes ahead of Trubisky. I like Trubisky and have pretty much an identical grade to that of Jimmy G coming out. Hell I may even take Webb over Trubisky before its over lol.

I believe you need the right QB for the right system and I want the big arm in Hue's system. I want size and mobility in this system and I get that with Pat.

1. Garrett
1b Hooker
1c Mahomes

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
No I wasn't knocking the league, just that his style of play would be a fit here.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Late first, I move up and take Mahomes.

However, if you like Mahomes that much, why even risk having to move up to draft him? Just take him at 12 and focus on 33. I guess that would be my approach if I thought he was the best QB in the draft which is where I'm guessing you have him right now.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
He is an NFL body. 6-4, 230 range. He is a big kid and he plays big. He has very good mobility and incredible pocket awarness.

Mahomet measured 6' 2" and 225lbs at the combine. About the same as both Watson Trubisky.

North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky hit the 6-2 mark and Clemson’s Deshaun Watson weighed in at a solid 222 pounds. As expected, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer measured in the biggest at 6-4 1/4 and 233 pounds with 9 7/8-inch hands. Watson officially came in at 6-2 1/2 with 9 3/4-inch hands. Trubisky (222 pounds) actually came in an eighth of an inch taller than Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes (6-2, 225) and with slightly larger hands (9 1/2 inches) than the Red Raiders gunslinger (9 1/4).

Link

Legend
Legend

There is rarely a guy who is a lock.

Certainly this draft proves that.

Mahomes to me is a solid second round player.

If they can not land JG then I think they should cover their bases.

By that I mean look at more than one guy. Let's just say they like Trubisky. At the same time they may not want to go higher than 12 with him. If he is there great. They take him. They have a ton of picks. Why not take Mahomes in the second(the later pick) or third round. I am not saying don't go BPA. But go BPA if he is the BPA.

The Browns have to get their quarterback. Maybe Trubisky ends up stinking. Why not have two chances instead of one. Better odds.

What if someone takes Trubisky before 12?

I don't see Kizer or Watson as being far ahead of Mahomes. All have their pros and cons. Why not take BPA at 12 and look at Mahomes in the second round?

The truth for me is: Here we are with the first pick in the draft and the 12th. And I'll be damned but I don't see a quarterback that I really like worthy of either pick in the first round.

Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, and Mahomes I don't see much separation. Watson has the resume but there are questions about int's, ball placement, run first etc.

Trubisky has potential and played pretty good in 13 games. Can he be viewed as no risk with such limited experience? It is not like in 13 games he was so dominant that he stands alone as the best quarterback.

Kizer makes NFL throws. He has all physical tools you could want. Look at his completion percentage? He has not shown much consistency.

Mahomes comes from a wide open offense. Like many before him who have arm strength he tries to force the ball sometimes. I would rather work on teaching him that check down is sometimes good. Than having a guy like Kessler who is fearful about pushing the ball.

There is no question in my mind that Garoppolo is the guy. But if the Browns can not make that happen I hope they have backup plans with more than one option.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Late first, I move up and take Mahomes.

However, if you like Mahomes that much, why even risk having to move up to draft him? Just take him at 12 and focus on 33. I guess that would be my approach if I thought he was the best QB in the draft which is where I'm guessing you have him right now.

I cant pass on a probowler for a project no matter how much i like the project. I have been saying for months that NONE of these QBs were worth a top 15 pick and that just hasnt changed and its become reinforced with how well this class is being viewed.

The only reason I want to trade up into the first is because of the 5th year option on rookie 1st rounders. Hell it may take 2 years before one of these QBs are ready and it would be nice to have that extra year on them.

I believe we can have our cake and eat it too.

We get Garrett and then just take the top guy on our board regardless of position at 12 so if you do miss on the QB, you got 2 studs and you go back in next year and shoot for the QB again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
He is an NFL body. 6-4, 230 range. He is a big kid and he plays big. He has very good mobility and incredible pocket awarness.

Mahomet measured 6' 2" and 225lbs at the combine. About the same as both Watson Trubisky.

North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky hit the 6-2 mark and Clemson’s Deshaun Watson weighed in at a solid 222 pounds. As expected, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer measured in the biggest at 6-4 1/4 and 233 pounds with 9 7/8-inch hands. Watson officially came in at 6-2 1/2 with 9 3/4-inch hands. Trubisky (222 pounds) actually came in an eighth of an inch taller than Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes (6-2, 225) and with slightly larger hands (9 1/2 inches) than the Red Raiders gunslinger (9 1/4).

Link

Thanks he just looks big, he plays tall.

Legend
Legend
I feel like before Teddy Bridewater, no one (publicly) talked about hand size that much.

Maybe Smith/Rodgers.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Link

Thanks he just looks big, he plays tall.

He plays tall? ... what does that even mean ... please explain to me how someone plays tall .. *L* ... love that saying ... he plays tall ... *L* ..

Seriously bro ... what do u mean by that ..

Legend
Legend
Same thing that had people believe Kevin Love was 6'10 for the first half of his career.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Its just a slight knee bend contrasted with a pronounced bend.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The deep balls Mahomes throws at 1:38 and again at 2:04 look like he just flips them out there, and are things of beauty. There's another at 3:52 and two frozen rope at 4:22 and 5:39 that are sweet too. Really nice deep ball accuracy on all those passes. The one at 8:44 probably should have been caught. He can obviously make all the throws. My biggest knock (if you can call it that) is that his accuracy seems to diminish distinctly under pressure. I love the way he sees the field though while on the move. I'd happily take him in this draft no matter what, and will be bummed if we come away without him. Given our situation, I'd probably draft him even if we take Trubisky.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks Mourg ... now I've learned sumptin for today ... do my good deed and then i can sleep well tonight ... smile ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
We disagree on Mahomes, but I respect how you logically make your case. Nice job!

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC

Hard pass on Mahomes in the first round at least. He is the kind of guy who will do well to carve out a 10 year career as a backup. He just has a lot of things to work on. He is a two sometimes three hitch and throw guy, not gonna work at the next level.

Nice arm, not as mobile as I thought he would be.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
The deep balls Mahomes throws at 1:38 and again at 2:04 look like he just flips them out there, and are things of beauty. There's another at 3:52 and two frozen rope at 4:22 and 5:39 that are sweet too. Really nice deep ball accuracy on all those passes. The one at 8:44 probably should have been caught. He can obviously make all the throws.
The throws that stood out to me from this game:

+
22s
28s
53s
844!

? +/-

-
10s
623?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The throw at 1:30 is Pat Mahomes in a nut shell. He throws off his back foot (bad) and delivers a 30-40 yard bomb on the money...lol. He needs work no doubt, but the talent is there to be sure.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Pat Mahomes - QB - Player

Chargers held a private workout with Texas Tech QB Pat Mahomes.
They also reportedly worked out Tennessee's Josh Dobbs. This does not mean the Chargers are drafting Mahomes or Dobbs, but it does show they are doing real background work on top quarterbacks. Philip Rivers is signed through 2019, but he will turn 36 in December. It is time for the Chargers to at least consider their future at the position, and it will not be surprising if they add a developmental quarterback in this year's draft.

Related: Chargers
Source: ESPN Mar 23 - 9:18 AM

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I would not mind drafting Mahomes. I have no idea when cringe afterwords. I know one thing for sure I hate to coach him!

You will never fully remove the unorthodox techniques. If you could harness it, I think you have something special. Main question here is can this kid be coached and does he love football.

I see LAC held a private workout. Two teams I think have the right setup is Chargers and Cardinals.

bugs #1250736 03/23/17 10:27 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bugs
j/c

I would not mind drafting Mahomes. I have no idea when cringe afterwords. I know one thing for sure I hate to coach him!

You will never fully remove the unorthodox techniques. If you could harness it, I think you have something special. Main question here is can this kid be coached and does he love football.

I see LAC held a private workout. Two teams I think have the right setup is Chargers and Cardinals.

He addressed the love of football question during Gruden's QB camp. Whether you buy it or not is up to you. His answers seem more natural than some of the other guys to me.

Mahomes with Gruden-Link

Gruden on Mahomes-Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Grimm, if what Patrick says is true and if Cleveland drafts him, I think him and Kessler make for an interesting QB room.

Physical talent Mahomes shows is impressive. Given the right environment he could be successful. If he comes to Cleveland, Haslam must show patience. Otherwise, this kid will suffer RG iii's fate. He'll never make it changing systems every year.

bugs #1250784 03/24/17 08:42 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Such a wide assessment of him as a QB prospect...there are analyst who say we are going to draft him at 12 and some that have him in the 2nd/3rd round.

I don't know what to make of him...haven't watched enough film on him to evaluate him myself. But Accuracy is probably the most important virtue and the negatives I've read are about his accuracy.

We'll see - unlike Charlie Casserty advice that we should get our QB next year.

That is advice that would get people FIRED...you see someone you like you draft them now. UNLESS you got that Franchise QB already. There is no tomorrow...that's like your teenage kids saying YEAH I'll Do that Tomorrow when you ask them to do a task...odds are that tomorrow never comes. wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1250824 03/24/17 10:54 AM
Legend
Legend

Watch the Baylor game.

eotab #1250827 03/24/17 11:05 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am about to the point that I have him rated over Trubs. They are definitely 1/2, but Mahomes upside is just through the roof.........so much talent, but so very raw/undisciplined it gives you pause.

I've seen a ton of media types advocating us taking him at 12 (and I wouldn't do that), but if we want him I don't think it's a lock he's there at 33. It will be interesting to see where he goes he supposedly is meeting with the Cardinals today as well so that's a possibility.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 03/24/17 11:05 AM.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Mahomes. Take him at 33. If it doesn't work, it doesnt break the bank

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't think he makes it to round 2.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Why?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I really like Pat the more I watch him play. He really reminds me of a Brett Favre type of player. He can throw those long bombs on a rope too which is very rare talent to have. When it comes to potential I think he has the most potential of anyone in this draft. I would trade up into the bottom of the first to get him too.

Another guy I would love to see us draft after round 3 is Josh Dobbs. Josh is super smart and is really good at reading a defense.

If we went into the season with Cody, Pat, and Josh as our QBs I have to admit I'd get a little excited about the long term benefits. I'd love to see Cody play well this year and have pat and josh sit the bench for a few years.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure about Josh. He would be a developmental guy for sure. Maybe take him in the 4th round.

Hue seems to like him. Maybe because they look alike?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think he makes it to round 2 because there is a lot of buzz tying him to Houston. Plus, teams like the 5th year option for QBs.

Also, there was that article talking about a bunch of teams having Watson and Trubisky as the top QB, but it also mentioned there were a couple that had Mahomes. It only takes one team falling in love with the guy.

Last edited by GrimmBrown; 03/25/17 10:26 AM. Reason: typo

Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I don't think he makes it to round 2 because there is a lot of buzz tying him to Houston. Plus, teams like the 5th year option for QBs.

Also, there was that article talking about a bunch of teams having Watson and Trubisky as the top QB, but it also mentioned there were a couple that had Mahomes. It only takes one team falling in love with the guy.

The more I watch the tape, accompanied by all the buzz around him shooting up the draft boards I think you might be right. Heck, I won't be shocked if he is the first QB selected at this point.....him, Trubs, and Webb are all grouped fairly close to me (late 1st/early 2nd grade), and the rest are junk.

I'm not full fledge pimping him yet, but I'm teetering.....ton of talent.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 03/25/17 10:49 AM.

Legend
Legend
Mahomes is the super athletic guy that shoots up late and gets taken way early. (Bortles)

Watson is the weak armed guy who was projected #1 but falls as it gets closer to the draft. (Bridgewater)

So.. does that make Trubisky Manziel or Carr?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Bridgewater had the arm it was his small hands and slight frame........he never failed a velocity test that pretty much has universally proven to be a death nail to those who don't pass it.

Teams were stupid to pass on Teddy, but Watson is a late round project in the mold of Ken Dorsey......stay away

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Teddy dropped because he was horrible on his Proday combined with rumors of a hand injury post combine were rampant.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This year's draft class reminds me of the one w/Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder or even a bit like the one w/EJ Manuel and Gino Smith.

Guys are being way overvalued because the rest of the group is so poor.

I say----buyer beware!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

This year's draft class reminds me of the one w/Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder or even a bit like the one w/EJ Manuel and Gino Smith.

Guys are being way overvalued because the rest of the group is so poor.

I say----buyer beware!

Mitch has a much different skill set than any of the BUMS u mentioned ... and i thought all of the guys u mentioned were BUMS before they came out ... even Watson has a much better shot than the bums in those classes ...

U rail on guys cause they say beware of JG cause of the failures of all the other NE back ups once they leave NE ... and i agree with U ..... but now your saying the buyer needs to beware of Mitch cause of PAST SIMILIAR DRAFT PROJECTIONS of the QB's in it ...

Hmmmmm ... interesting ... wink ...

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I'm somewhere between here and trying to offer a 4th and the 33rd for the 32nd pick, so we could have that team option in year 5.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Patrick Mahomes

Link Copied to Clipboard